Dan & Phil Part 72: Always a Gaytime

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
firsttimeposter
living flop

liola wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:26 pm
firsttimeposter wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:42 pm
lefthandedism wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:37 pm
jaej wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:13 pm honestly i just feel so, so little actual chemistry between them that isn't blatantly 'this is what fans want to hear' that no amount of "but 8 years ago this happened!!" makes me feel strongly that they're together when i used to be very certain they were like i just don't see it without delving into folder of decade old screenshots and deciding to make up the few years since then
I'm just so interested in the opinions of people who used to think they were together/probably together, and now firmly think they are not. All opinions are valid, and no one's gut feeling is more accurate than anyone else's, but I haven't gotten a clear sense of why anyone has changed their mind in that direction.

So: can anyone who feels more certain now that Deppy are not together say why? I'm curious!
Hmm idk, I feel like I'm quite a paranoid person, so every time dan rolls his eyes at Phil I'm like "hmm I'm leaning towards not thinking they're together", I know it's silly but I get so paranoid over the smallest things with them.

It is pretty apparent that dan is queer, and I don't doubt for a minute that Phil is too, but as a grand relationship I just feel that it isn't quite right. We have 2013 phil who often talked about wanting to go on dates and flirting with his hairdresser, and we have dan who doesn't necessarily seem attracted to Phil (said something about Phil's lips being ugly or smth in an ii show, though I wasn't there so someone confirming it would be great lmao). Idk, it's just a feeling I guess, but I don't think they're together.

It's more of a recent thing that I feel dan is annoyed at phil Constantly, in videos on Phil's channel and the gaming channel in particular.
And with people responding "what about the 2009 tweets?!" well, I guess you have a point, but the tweets and comments from dans side seems a whole lot like the comments regular YouTube fans leave their "idols" (lol). Like "I have a crush on you" might just be from a young, gay dan, who didn't actually know phil back then but who was just a YouTube fan. He also used to be quite vocal about having a crush on paperlillies, and they've been friends for almost as long as dnp have, so the similarity there doesn't really seem like a coincidence to me.

I'm not an anti though, as I still get exited over the cute moments between them. It's kinda like religion; I reaally wish I believed in a god, but unfortunately, I can't force myself too. Dnp would be incredibly cute as a couple, but I just don't see it.
okay I'm sorry but this just makes me go ??? Like...It's not just about tweets from 2009, what about their entire history, the VIDEO, the not having other partners thing and Idk the blatant ways they include each other in their lives?

Idk guys you might not see it but I don't understand why a thing like Dan rolling his eyes at Phil must mean that he's annoyed at him and thus not his partner? Or a roasting joke about his lips a confirmation that he must CLEARLY not be attracted to him? Like talk about reaching.

This conversation is always so boring we keep going in circles. Can we just appreciate their openness with us and this blessed content mood they seem to be in?

Also just because idk I'm petty I guess I just spent the weekend with my best friend and her girlfriend here in Stockholm and she complained how someone at a family gathering asked if her girlfriend was actually just her friend and she was like "why would I bring a friend to a family thing it's obviously my partner" and I couldn't help but think about the on going discussion about dnp lol
yeah I mean, I know we're "circling" with the same stuff, but someone asked and i put it under a spoiler so that y'all who are tired of the discussion don't have to read it lmao.

Again, i'd be happy to believe they're in a relationship, and I definitely see how a lot of things points to that, but... uhh idk. Just my gut feelings telling me no. I'm so happy that they're feeling more comfortable telling us stuff and sharing, but I feel what's really in the heat rn is dans sexuality, which I don't directly link up to the possible relationship with Phil.

And I know I'm reaching, but that's just because I'm giving you examples, not a full over-view of my opinion. These were two minor things in a compilation of loads of things that leads me to believing they aren't together. I really hope I'm not offending you with my opinion here, and I'm sorry if I am, but I feel quite alone with these opinions (which is a good thing, I'm glad y'all can see what I wish I could) and when somebody asked, I simply answered cause what else should I use my Sunday night doing.

Some of the things pulling me in the other direction IS the "no other partner thing" and whatever, and that's why I'm kinda still on the fence, but looking at the overall relationship between dnp, I look at it more negatively, sadly.
Also is it just my broken phone, or does it look like you just posted my post? Lmao idk if it's just me, but the layout seems off rn? - firsttimeposter
Last edited by lefthandedism on Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed tags
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

jaej wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:13 pm honestly i just feel so, so little actual chemistry between them that isn't blatantly 'this is what fans want to hear' that no amount of "but 8 years ago this happened!!" makes me feel strongly that they're together when i used to be very certain they were like i just don't see it without delving into folder of decade old screenshots and deciding to make up the few years since then
I'm just so interested in the opinions of people who used to think they were together/probably together, and now firmly think they are not. All opinions are valid, and no one's gut feeling is more accurate than anyone else's, but I haven't gotten a clear sense of why anyone has changed their mind in that direction.

So: can anyone who feels more certain now that Deppy are not together say why? I'm curious!
Hmm idk, I feel like I'm quite a paranoid person, so every time dan rolls his eyes at Phil I'm like "hmm I'm leaning towards not thinking they're together", I know it's silly but I get so paranoid over the smallest things with them.

It is pretty apparent that dan is queer, and I don't doubt for a minute that Phil is too, but as a grand relationship I just feel that it isn't quite right. We have 2013 phil who often talked about wanting to go on dates and flirting with his hairdresser, and we have dan who doesn't necessarily seem attracted to Phil (said something about Phil's lips being ugly or smth in an ii show, though I wasn't there so someone confirming it would be great lmao). Idk, it's just a feeling I guess, but I don't think they're together.

It's more of a recent thing that I feel dan is annoyed at phil Constantly, in videos on Phil's channel and the gaming channel in particular.
And with people responding "what about the 2009 tweets?!" well, I guess you have a point, but the tweets and comments from dans side seems a whole lot like the comments regular YouTube fans leave their "idols" (lol). Like "I have a crush on you" might just be from a young, gay dan, who didn't actually know phil back then but who was just a YouTube fan. He also used to be quite vocal about having a crush on paperlillies, and they've been friends for almost as long as dnp have, so the similarity there doesn't really seem like a coincidence to me.

I'm not an anti though, as I still get exited over the cute moments between them. It's kinda like religion; I reaally wish I believed in a god, but unfortunately, I can't force myself too. Dnp would be incredibly cute as a couple, but I just don't see it.
i just wanna pat you on the back and say its alright. i feel like we dont really need to feel paranoid about dnp - and ill also say this for all the "omg theyre splitting up!" posts that i see on tumblr since i have the same opinion on both - its nothing that we really have to panic about. i feel like for the majority of this panic, its just people projecting their own anxieties to dnp where its very easy to hyperfocus on one small negative thing rather than the thousand happy moments that come along with it. i empathize since its a hard thing to unlearn, but do realize that dnp are their own people. and right now, all i see are two happy people touring the world and finally being open with themselves to their audience.

i acknowledge your thoughts about phil talking about flirting with other people or dan being annoyed at phil, but do realize that theres more meaning to it underneath all that. every time they say things like "i hate you" or throw insults at each other, its usually said in a jokey manner. in fact, dan had addressed this before already. whether friends or lovers, teasing and playful insults are a thing. dan saying phil's lips are ugly are on the same humour as when the fans call them "ohmygod ew disgusting" whenever something cute happens. and yes, youre totally right about their sexuality ≠ them being in a relationship. you see this all the time in het tropes like "omg a boy and a girl CANNOT be friends for that long, they must be dating11!" and its stupid because people shouldnt equate romance to their sexuality. however, im camp "im happy with whatever relationship they have, all i know is that its a great one" and honestly, once you stop worrying about it and just accepting all of their openness, itll be much clearer.
"you are next to me in my life"
KatjaZoe
sad dimple

I just want to say since it seems like the phan/anti discussion stemmed from my earlier post that I was not trying to be a troll or rile anybody up. I even said in my post that I wasn’t trying to make an anti argument. I’ve gone back and forth on what I believe, but I’ve pretty much firmly planted myself in the “I’m probs never going to know if they’re together and tbh it doesn’t really make a difference to me” camp. While I do think the discussion can be interesting sometimes (especially when people bring new perspectives as someone said earlier), that definitely was not my intention. I was more just curious about people’s reactions.
"He's the guy with his flesh on show. What a hoe.
That's. Our. Dan."
:dogue: :dogue: :dogue:
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

every time i rewatch an old video now or see older gifs i feel as if reality is glitching because my mind can't process phil's fringe anymore. i've been wondering: imo phil's fringe used to look a lot better a few years back than it did shortly before he changed his hairstyle and i think it's plausible that this was due to him actually not styling his hair in a fringe anymore when he wasn't outside where viewers could spot him or on camera. now, here's the hot take: do you think that it's possible judging from the haircut that the decrease in fringe quality actually indicates that phil's hair wasn't cut to be styled in a fringe anymore and that it was instead a quiff hairstyle forced back into a fringe on camera/outside, allowing him to wear the hairstyle he truly wanted at home?

i do realise that this is completely irrelevant but i've been thinking about this
thank's you were great
firsttimeposter
living flop

ame wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:49 pm

i just wanna pat you on the back and say its alright. i feel like we dont really need to feel paranoid about dnp - and ill also say this for all the "omg theyre splitting up!" posts that i see on tumblr since i have the same opinion on both - its nothing that we really have to panic about. i feel like for the majority of this panic, its just people projecting their own anxieties to dnp where its very easy to hyperfocus on one small negative thing rather than the thousand happy moments that come along with it. i empathize since its a hard thing to unlearn, but do realize that dnp are their own people. and right now, all i see are two happy people touring the world and finally being open with themselves to their audience.

i acknowledge your thoughts about phil talking about flirting with other people or dan being annoyed at phil, but do realize that theres more meaning to it underneath all that. every time they say things like "i hate you" or throw insults at each other, its usually said in a jokey manner. in fact, dan had addressed this before already. whether friends or lovers, teasing and playful insults are a thing. dan saying phil's lips are ugly are on the same humour as when the fans call them "ohmygod ew disgusting" whenever something cute happens. and yes, youre totally right about their sexuality ≠ them being in a relationship. you see this all the time in het tropes like "omg a boy and a girl CANNOT be friends for that long, they must be dating11!" and its stupid because people shouldnt equate romance to their sexuality. however, im camp "im happy with whatever relationship they have, all i know is that its a great one" and honestly, once you stop worrying about it and just accepting all of their openness, itll be much clearer.
I really wish we had a like-button on idb haha. Thumbs up to you my friend. And I agree, they have a great relationship, and maybe I'm just being sensitive about their teasing.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose
Pronouns: she/her

lurker wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:09 pm every time i rewatch an old video now or see older gifs i feel as if reality is glitching because my mind can't process phil's fringe anymore. i've been wondering: imo phil's fringe used to look a lot better a few years back than it did shortly before he changed his hairstyle and i think it's plausible that this was due to him actually not styling his hair in a fringe anymore when he wasn't outside where viewers could spot him or on camera. now, here's the hot take: do you think that it's possible judging from the haircut that the decrease in fringe quality actually indicates that phil's hair wasn't cut to be styled in a fringe anymore and that it was instead a quiff hairstyle forced back into a fringe on camera/outside, allowing him to wear the hairstyle he truly wanted at home?

i do realise that this is completely irrelevant but i've been thinking about this
I don't think his hair was actually cut into the quiff until the short period of time before he decided to share that first picture of his new hair, but I do think he wore his hair pushed back at home for a while out of ease. I think the increase in splinges and general weird lego-flatness was a mix of some bad haircuts and I guess getting older and having thinner hair (I could be wrong though :shrug:)
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Time to make suggestions for the next thread name. There are currently no suggestions submitted, so here's your chance to come up with a good one!
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
autumnhearth
senpai

firsttimeposter wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:19 pm
ame wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:49 pm

I really wish we had a like-button on idb haha. Thumbs up to you my friend. And I agree, they have a great relationship, and maybe I'm just being sensitive about their teasing.
I’m not sure why were hiding this but here
Hey, I just wanted to say I’m sorry some people were being rude. I think your perspective is interesting and I liked the religion/belief analogy. If it makes you feel any better I roll my eyes at my husband quite frequently and do genuinely get annoyed with him sometimes as I’m sure D&P do with each other on occasion. But I also smile and laugh with fondness at some of his stupid humor. I’m not attracted to his super thin lips or imperfect teeth, but I love his eyes and his beard and his heart.

However I do think that some of what we see with Dan acting annoyed, on Phil’s channel for example, is at least partially an act/part of their comedic dynamic.

Also as far as early flirting, it went quite a bit beyond the ‘I think I have a crush on you’ YouTube comments on Dan’s birthday before they met. To actual pining for each other when they were apart. But I’m a romantic sap who loves drowning in the 2009 and 2010 timelines. *hugs*
fieldoflovers
living flop

Changing views on Phan in spoiler
This current discussion is really interesting to think about because as I was doing the Phandom Survey (which you all should do), I thought about my views on their relationship and how they've changed. Last year when I filled it out I said that they were together and then broke up and this year I said that they are in a long term relationship. I think last year I was inclined to believe the breakup theory because all of the "evidence" was from internet flirtations in 2009 and 10 and honestly some of those comments are def "phan" but I see how others can be interpreted as friends albeit quite flirty friends. Over the past year however the amount of openness they've had with the audience and their commitment to going back to authenticity has made me reevaluate everything.

I think people's opinions on the ship don't just exist with the question, "Were/are they a couple?" but instead they're on a broader scale. Most people, even phantis are able to acknowledge the possibility of dnp being a couple because of their chemistry and friendship, but admitting to shipping an rpf ship is still a fandom taboo and on top of that saying you think they are together is an extreme. I think people worry about sounding crazy, or being perceived as a crackpot, conspiracy theorist when in reality, that may not be the case. I worry too all the time about being a "delusional fan" and crossing boundries while writing fic in particular. It is ultimately safer to adore the cute moments and tell yourself, they're probably just really close friends rather than admit that it stopped being "just friends" a long time ago.
sorry if this post was a bit of a rambly mess,,, also i haven't been on here for a while but its good to be back :D
was i the only one really unfazed by the fortnight couch thing? like my reponse was basically ofc,,,
dan used to play halo naked when he was 18 and now their roles have been reversed
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

fieldoflovers wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:46 am Changing views on Phan in spoiler
This current discussion is really interesting to think about because as I was doing the Phandom Survey (which you all should do), I thought about my views on their relationship and how they've changed. Last year when I filled it out I said that they were together and then broke up and this year I said that they are in a long term relationship. I think last year I was inclined to believe the breakup theory because all of the "evidence" was from internet flirtations in 2009 and 10 and honestly some of those comments are def "phan" but I see how others can be interpreted as friends albeit quite flirty friends. Over the past year however the amount of openness they've had with the audience and their commitment to going back to authenticity has made me reevaluate everything.

I think people's opinions on the ship don't just exist with the question, "Were/are they a couple?" but instead they're on a broader scale. Most people, even phantis are able to acknowledge the possibility of dnp being a couple because of their chemistry and friendship, but admitting to shipping an rpf ship is still a fandom taboo and on top of that saying you think they are together is an extreme. I think people worry about sounding crazy, or being perceived as a crackpot, conspiracy theorist when in reality, that may not be the case. I worry too all the time about being a "delusional fan" and crossing boundries while writing fic in particular. It is ultimately safer to adore the cute moments and tell yourself, they're probably just really close friends rather than admit that it stopped being "just friends" a long time ago.
sorry if this post was a bit of a rambly mess,,, also i haven't been on here for a while but its good to be back :D
was i the only one really unfazed by the fortnight couch thing? like my reponse was basically ofc,,,
dan used to play halo naked when he was 18 and now their roles have been reversed
plot twist: they both play video games NAKED :tinfoil:
also +1 towards the shipping taboo thing. back when i was fresh into the fandom, i was very vocal about me shipping them - this was attributed by my innate love for analyzing people and theory crafting while still being immature and not knowing the boundaries/consequences of my actions. years later, my views have changed a bit. im still there for the fond moments™ but now i feel more like a friend that just lovingly watches over their relationship. i DO think that they are together, but ultimately, its just my opinion. i dont really worry nor dive deep into finding "proofs" anymore simply because i dont need to. its not my prerogative. like, if i have a close friend that i "think" is hiding something but i notice that theyre not ready to reveal it to me, then ill sit my ass and wait until they are ready to open up to me. thats just my take on it.
"you are next to me in my life"
scientia
phabergé

firsttimeposter wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:38 pm

okay I'm sorry but this just makes me go ??? Like...It's not just about tweets from 2009, what about their entire history, the VIDEO, the not having other partners thing and Idk the blatant ways they include each other in their lives?

Idk guys you might not see it but I don't understand why a thing like Dan rolling his eyes at Phil must mean that he's annoyed at him and thus not his partner? Or a roasting joke about his lips a confirmation that he must CLEARLY not be attracted to him? Like talk about reaching.

This conversation is always so boring we keep going in circles. Can we just appreciate their openness with us and this blessed content mood they seem to be in?

Also just because idk I'm petty I guess I just spent the weekend with my best friend and her girlfriend here in Stockholm and she complained how someone at a family gathering asked if her girlfriend was actually just her friend and she was like "why would I bring a friend to a family thing it's obviously my partner" and I couldn't help but think about the on going discussion about dnp lol
yeah I mean, I know we're "circling" with the same stuff, but someone asked and i put it under a spoiler so that y'all who are tired of the discussion don't have to read it lmao.

Again, i'd be happy to believe they're in a relationship, and I definitely see how a lot of things points to that, but... uhh idk. Just my gut feelings telling me no. I'm so happy that they're feeling more comfortable telling us stuff and sharing, but I feel what's really in the heat rn is dans sexuality, which I don't directly link up to the possible relationship with Phil.

And I know I'm reaching, but that's just because I'm giving you examples, not a full over-view of my opinion. These were two minor things in a compilation of loads of things that leads me to believing they aren't together. I really hope I'm not offending you with my opinion here, and I'm sorry if I am, but I feel quite alone with these opinions (which is a good thing, I'm glad y'all can see what I wish I could) and when somebody asked, I simply answered cause what else should I use my Sunday night doing.

Some of the things pulling me in the other direction IS the "no other partner thing" and whatever, and that's why I'm kinda still on the fence, but looking at the overall relationship between dnp, I look at it more negatively, sadly.
Also is it just my broken phone, or does it look like you just posted my post? Lmao idk if it's just me, but the layout seems off rn? - firsttimeposter
For some reason I've really started to feel that same gut feeling for the past year.
I look at Gamingmas 2016 vs 2017 and the vibe between them is just so different! Not as fond, or warm. I get that they were probably already planning for the tour and were probably busy, but I can't get the distinction out of my mind. To me, there has also just been this distant vibe between them, almost since they moved again?
But I've often wondered if the reduction in liveshows is contributing to this; we're not seeing them being "casual" as often and maybe that's what's making things seem distant to me.
Wild speculation here but I've had this feeling (IT'S JUST A FEELING/SPECULATION I'M NOT SAYING IT'S TRUE) that Dan has been/is still in a relationship with someone else
liola
rankussy

scientia wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:29 am
firsttimeposter wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:38 pm

For some reason I've really started to feel that same gut feeling for the past year.
I look at Gamingmas 2016 vs 2017 and the vibe between them is just so different! Not as fond, or warm. I get that they were probably already planning for the tour and were probably busy, but I can't get the distinction out of my mind. To me, there has also just been this distant vibe between them, almost since they moved again?
But I've often wondered if the reduction in liveshows is contributing to this; we're not seeing them being "casual" as often and maybe that's what's making things seem distant to me.
Wild speculation here but I've had this feeling (IT'S JUST A FEELING/SPECULATION I'M NOT SAYING IT'S TRUE) that Dan has been/is still in a relationship with someone else
okay that's actually interesting to me, why do you have that feeling? I'm actually asking out of curiosity!

Because tbh considering how much time they spend together, how Dan is involved with Phil's family
The fact that someone would SEE them if they were with someone else (let's not lie to ourselves, word would spread at some point) and the fact neither of them has said anything about being single in years, that to me makes it even more obvious that they are in a long term couple?
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
KatjaZoe
sad dimple

liola wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:01 am
okay that's actually interesting to me, why do you have that feeling? I'm actually asking out of curiosity!

Because tbh considering how much time they spend together, how Dan is involved with Phil's family
The fact that someone would SEE them if they were with someone else (let's not lie to ourselves, word would spread at some point) and the fact neither of them has said anything about being single in years, that to me makes it even more obvious that they are in a long term couple?
(i'm going to go ahead and follow everyone else's lead and put this is spoiler tags but i'm confused why this convo is being hidden lol)
I've also had this feeling recently that i think dan may be in a relatively new-ish relationship (within the last year maybe). more specifically a boyfriend. For me it started when Dan did his "Living my Truth" video and it made me wonder why he seemed so excited about sucking dicks all of a sudden (this was before the backtrack ls where he was like "i mean i didnt necessarily mean dicks") but it still got me thinking. It especially seems like he's been feeling more comfortable being open about his sexuality lately and to me it makes sense that his confidence sharing that could come from a new relationship.

As for the whole thing about someone would have seen them/ the phandom would have found out -- i think we had a discussion on here somewhat recently that we might not actually know what the boys are up to as much as we may think. I think it was when Dan was first mentioning the idea of ig stories and he said in a ls that he had gone somewhere a few days before (agh i can't remember where now help) that would be good for an insta story -- and it was somewhere that he could have easily been seen by a fan yet we had no idea he had been there. If you think about it most of the pics of fans "running into them" is at train stations/airports/etc. and tbh is probably not actually such a random coincidence a lot of the time. I think especially if he were specifically trying to avoid being noticed by fans it would be easy for us not to know. I mean if people think they've been able to hide phan without any solid proof getting out for so long, why couldn't they do the same with a different relationship? In general i think we really don't know as much about their lives as we think we do.

tbh i have more thoughts about this but i'm just going to leave it here for now cause this is already longer than i meant for it to be.

definitely no solid evidence for this whatsoever, but just like @scientia said its just a feeling/speculation i've had recently and to me it seems like it would make sense.
That's. Our. Dan."
liola
rankussy

KatjaZoe wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:12 am
liola wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:01 am

(i'm going to go ahead and follow everyone else's lead and put this is spoiler tags but i'm confused why this convo is being hidden lol)
I've also had this feeling recently that i think dan may be in a relatively new-ish relationship (within the last year maybe). more specifically a boyfriend. For me it started when Dan did his "Living my Truth" video and it made me wonder why he seemed so excited about sucking dicks all of a sudden (this was before the backtrack ls where he was like "i mean i didnt necessarily mean dicks") but it still got me thinking. It especially seems like he's been feeling more comfortable being open about his sexuality lately and to me it makes sense that his confidence sharing that could come from a new relationship.

As for the whole thing about someone would have seen them/ the phandom would have found out -- i think we had a discussion on here somewhat recently that we might not actually know what the boys are up to as much as we may think. I think it was when Dan was first mentioning the idea of ig stories and he said in a ls that he had gone somewhere a few days before (agh i can't remember where now help) that would be good for an insta story -- and it was somewhere that he could have easily been seen by a fan yet we had no idea he had been there. If you think about it most of the pics of fans "running into them" is at train stations/airports/etc. and tbh is probably not actually such a random coincidence a lot of the time. I think especially if he were specifically trying to avoid being noticed by fans it would be easy for us not to know. I mean if people think they've been able to hide phan without any solid proof getting out for so long, why couldn't they do the same with a different relationship? In general i think we really don't know as much about their lives as we think we do.

tbh i have more thoughts about this but i'm just going to leave it here for now cause this is already longer than i meant for it to be.

definitely no solid evidence for this whatsoever, but just like @scientia said its just a feeling/speculation i've had recently and to me it seems like it would make sense.
Idk why we're still keeping it in spoilers I guess this way people don't see big walls of texts lmao
i see where you're coming from and I actually understand why you'd think that. Personally I just think it's just in line with how much more open they've been in the past year and a half, both of them, it just reflects how they've been acting with the audience and with each other. I also prefer to think it's personal growth than it being associated with a new love, because love doesn't have to be the one end to all issues with self doubt or questioning your identity (not talking about your post now, just general waffling)

And I understand why you think they might not be spotted, but the chances of not seeing him that one random time is not the same as him being out and about with a possible boyfriend (a longer term one in this hypothesis) and no one EVER spotting him. Unless he keeps him hidden, don't go to vacations with etc which would suck and I just don't see it.

As how phan would be hidden, I mean, they have the perfect cover? They live together, do everything together, they're not hiding anything let's be real, they just don't engage in pda in public which I would expect even if they were out because they just don't seem like the types :shrug:
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

i feel bad for dan's secret boyfriend, honestly.. he's left out of everything, i wonder how he feels about dan going on a world tour with his literal other half that he's constantly flirting with.

no but for real, i feel like as soon as they get more and more open, people start doubting their relationship? it's super weird to me and i don't understand, but you do you.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
knq
lava lamp

I generally believe dnp are in a long term relationship, whether they took a break at some point or not, and I’m comfortable with that belief, but because I’m catching up on live shows I can say if I’d been in fan in 2012, even before the vday video had leaked for the second time, I wouldn’t have thought that then. I would have shipped them, or Dan might have just scared me right out of the phandom (though I love him really), but I wouldn’t have been comfortable believing dnp were in a relationship they were explicitly denying.

Even when I watch the old liveshows now I find myself wondering if I’m so wrapped up in fandom that I can’t see they’re “obviously” not together. Then Dan says ‘you’re doing great sweetie’ and puts his head between Phil’s legs before Phil films him in bed at 3am without bothering to explain why (among a thousand other things, don’t come for me for choosing these 3 pls and ty) and I return to the belief that a long term committed relationship is the most accurate and polite way to describe them.

So I can see why people have differing opinions, since my opinions appear to differ based on what year the content I’m watching was created in. :shrug:

Put me down as one who enjoys hearing differing beliefs, too. I wish there wasn’t a tendency to be defensive or mock what other people perceive to be true, though. That part of sharing differing opinions just makes me anxious.

In response to what @firsttimeposter said earlier, I wanted to say I don’t think it has to be a sad thing if you just don’t believe there’s romantic love between them. Personally I’d find it equally sweet to think dnp have a platonic friendship or a queerplatonic relationship where they love, support, and have as much fun with each other as they clearly do.
KatjaZoe
sad dimple

I'm sorry but didn't we just have a mod note about this forum being open to everyone's opinions?

I replied to someone specifically asking for someone to explain their different perspective, hid it in a spoiler tag, and even added a "you know just a thought! could totally be wrong!" disclaimer at the end. But because its any other opinion besides "phan is real" it gets a sarcastic condescending response that makes me regret saying anything in the first place.
That's. Our. Dan."
SquishPhan
capita£ester

ratlad wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:30 am i feel bad for dan's secret boyfriend, honestly.. he's left out of everything, i wonder how he feels about dan going on a world tour with his literal other half that he's constantly flirting with.

no but for real, i feel like as soon as they get more and more open, people start doubting their relationship? it's super weird to me and i don't understand, but you do you.
Yup Dan's secret boyfriend must be a very understanding person. Never being seen with Dan and now missing out on seeing all these new, exciting places. Poor guy.
But for real if Dan does have a secret boyfriend I honestly feel bad for him.
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

i didn't at all mean for my comment to come off as rude or condescending, so i am sorry if it did. it was 5 am when i wrote it and it sounded fine in my head, it was meant to be more light-hearted i promise.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
amberblogslife
squish

Wooh okay here comes my opinion on the whole phan/ no phan/ dan has a secret boyfriend thing:
So, I personally have a hard time deciding whether they are together or not. Based on the 'no other partners'-thing, living together for so long and old content on twitter/dailybooth/... I would say yes. If any of my irl friends acted this way, I would be playfully teasing them about having a relationship. But, and here comes the controversial part (please don't come for me), I do think they know bloody well that phan gets them views and thus money. So I have a hard time believing some of the banter, because my cynical ass likes to doubt how 'real' it is. That's no shade to them at all, they would be stupid not to use their connection to get views, but it does leave me in this weird 'yes/no/maybe so' mindset when it comes to phan being a real thing.

On that note, if Dan is actually in a new relationship (poor person, not going outside must suck) and he is in fact working towards being more open about his sexuality and maybe a relationship, I am quite scared what the impact might be on everyone involved. I love his videos, as well as Phil's, but would they lose subscribers if they moved on from the 'dnp brand'?

Please keep in mind I'm generally a mess and this is mainly a brainfart from just studying digital marketing, which I applied to their brand!
Anyway, they seem to be on their way to the Copenhagen airport right now, so either they are doing some more sightseeing, or they are flying home from there?
Constantly in an existential crisis.
dancy
procrastinator

Strange, I thought they'd immediately go home for a bit after the European tour was done, so they'd have some time to relax before their US tour starts but they're going to Denmark now? I wonder why.
watsonian wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:55 am Put me down as one who enjoys hearing differing beliefs, too. I wish there wasn’t a tendency to be defensive or mock what other people perceive to be true, though. That part of sharing differing opinions just makes me anxious.
KatjaZoe wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:01 am I'm sorry but didn't we just have a mod note about this forum being open to everyone's opinions?

I replied to someone specifically asking for someone to explain their different perspective, hid it in a spoiler tag, and even added a "you know just a thought! could totally be wrong!" disclaimer at the end. But because its any other opinion besides "phan is real" it gets a sarcastic condescending response that makes me regret saying anything in the first place.

I agree with these. Coming from someone who isn't an anti, I don't really like how people are sometimes made to feel ignorant/stupid for having a different opinion regarding D&P's relationship and I'm actually very interested in seeing these different perspectives and hope people won't feel discouraged from sharing them. I understand that this forum is meant for discussions but sometimes it can kinda come across as ganging up on someone.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

Don't film the cars, film the view to the sides! It's so gorgeous up there.
I'm pretty sure they are just crossing the bridge because Copenhagen airport has much better connections than Malmö. It's a very short trip.
starwatersong
phabergé

I love “The Bridge” reference so much. My roommate and I randomly started watching it and got sucked in a couple years ago, and I was excited when Deppy revealed before that they watched it, too. <3
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

obsessivelymoody wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:29 pm
lurker wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:09 pm every time i rewatch an old video now or see older gifs i feel as if reality is glitching because my mind can't process phil's fringe anymore. i've been wondering: imo phil's fringe used to look a lot better a few years back than it did shortly before he changed his hairstyle and i think it's plausible that this was due to him actually not styling his hair in a fringe anymore when he wasn't outside where viewers could spot him or on camera. now, here's the hot take: do you think that it's possible judging from the haircut that the decrease in fringe quality actually indicates that phil's hair wasn't cut to be styled in a fringe anymore and that it was instead a quiff hairstyle forced back into a fringe on camera/outside, allowing him to wear the hairstyle he truly wanted at home?

I don't think his hair was actually cut into the quiff until the short period of time before he decided to share that first picture of his new hair, but I do think he wore his hair pushed back at home for a while out of ease. I think the increase in splinges and general weird lego-flatness was a mix of some bad haircuts and I guess getting older and having thinner hair (I could be wrong though :shrug:)
now this is a conspiracy i can get behind.
i really don't know why it looked so flat the last few years, possibly getting it shaved on the sides and/or thinned out with that razor scissoring technique in an effort for it to be shorter also made it less voluminous, which doesn't work when you're going for a full fringe look. so basically yeah, bad haircuts and a hairdresser who'd kind of given up and wasn't steering him in the right direction.

i agree he probs had it pushed back and not styled when not in public, so the leap for him was getting comfortable looking different to others instead of just dan/family/friends at home.

so i guess they're having a little vacation in copenhagen? that's nice. if i'd be them i'd be so tired and ready for my own bed though...
art in avatar by lily
JustMe
living flop
Pronouns: She/her

dancy wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:20 am
Sounds like Dan cought Phil's cold
~ I'll be bold as well as strong and use my head alongside my heart ~