Dan & Phil Part 72: Always a Gaytime

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

A lovely Phil video, I hope he does more of those. His reactions seemed pretty natural, no forced cringing or whining about how this is the worst thing to ever exist. It made it enjoyable to watch, because we can laugh with him instead of at him. Also loved him talking about oldskool YouTube, got me all nostalgic for when weird and creative kids ruled the website instead of the rude bully jock types we got now. I'm also living for hotel critic Phil :lol:

Already hearing horror stories about that flop of an app, so I ain't touching it.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides
Pronouns: she/her

I know the app is sponsoring them but wow they really picked a shitty app. I downloaded it because ngl I am poor af and want a switch or those snazzy sunglasses. I went live to test it out and it’s so weird, if you watch someone else it loads up your camera, whyyyyy!! Plus no doubt when the 20,000+ liveshows thirty fans load it up for their joint show it’ll crash.

I’m sure they’ll also have a contract which means they have to do a minimum amount of liveshows which yay content but boooo to it being on Rize. I hope they connect it to YouTube/Tumblr still (I have hope they will).

Also add me as a +1 for loving the Phil video.
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

missemma wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:19 am I know the app is sponsoring them but wow they really picked a shitty app. I downloaded it because ngl I am poor af and want a switch or those snazzy sunglasses. I went live to test it out and it’s so weird, if you watch someone else it loads up your camera, whyyyyy!! Plus no doubt when the 20,000+ liveshows thirty fans load it up for their joint show it’ll crash.

I’m sure they’ll also have a contract which means they have to do a minimum amount of liveshows which yay content but boooo to it being on Rize. I hope they connect it to YouTube/Tumblr still (I have hope they will).

Also add me as a +1 for loving the Phil video.
what exactly is that feature even for!?
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Everything about this sounds terrible.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

wowie im glad that phil uploaded content today cz i sure am feeling dead inside from sickness and work. i loved the video, it felt casual and wholesome all throughout. it felt like he wasnt afraid of showing his truth with us anymore.

also this could be sick me mishearing things but i thought its interesting how he just casually let slip a cuss and ddnt censor it. (the part where he talks about the gross mattress) im not going hysterical over it, its no big deal if he does, but if he did casually swear then good for him that hes slowly shedding that fear away in his channel. then again i did watch it only once on my phone with a broken earphone while on the bus and coughing my guts out........so, i could again be wrong. im gunna rewatch it properly after a well deserved nap
"you are next to me in my life"
autumnhearth
senpai

I was actually really hoping for a video like this from Phil. He’s got so many private videos and I rget that he doesn’t want them to represent him, so react videos really are the best way to share them. I’ve been dying to see THE TRUTH since I read about it in TABINOF, so thanks Phil. I’m all for him making it a series. Like the hotel review at the beginning. Probably not going anywhere near Rize. I also had a very low day, complete with depression nap, so all the instas and waking up to find out we were getting a video was really a blessing.
yeetussy
glabella

I feel bad for deppy having to represent such a shitty app. I don’t think I’ve seen one thing good about it :( . I’m not going anywhere near it lmao, but I can already tell those livestreams won’t be good ones, or popular ones. I also have a feeling they won’t like the app either, so this might be another Dragon City situation, except way less liked.

Also apparently people are getting banned for really dumb reasons too? The future for Rize does not look bright :/
alien
procrastinator

I just tried the app and talked to someone who was in the Dan and Phil chat(we talked through the video option). So my question is will that be possible during a live show?? I don’t get why you’d want to during one. Like it was fun to talk to someone (but I’m not on WiFi right now so my connection was shit) and I get the appeal of connecting with other DnP fans but I feel like during a ls it would be a bit too much.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

So... I've been doing a bit more reading up on Rize, and horrific user interface aside it's actually interesting what they're trying to do. It's YouNow's attempt at a cryptocurrency based platform, and they're trying to get their own cryptocurrency PROPS off the ground using Rize.

Here's a cnet article, an article from TubeFilter, and a more recent article from a website called The Creative Crypto. As of two weeks ago they were going to start integrating the cryptocurrency based microtransactions "in the coming weeks" and on May 31 the Props site seems to have made a post that launches it so I'm guessing that's why they held off promoting the app for so long into the tour.
hello9217
flower crown

Yeah I can respect that the app is still in beta but are they prepared to have so many people on it? It can barely handle 20 let alone 10,000 that will probably attempt to go on it once dnp go live. Also when their at home deppy have to tether to their phones for seemingly descent wifi so I just expect a lot of crashes when that day comes. I hope that the app is reading the indirects and working to improve by June 20th. Also I'm really not enjoying it not archiving live shows because if you try to screen record, at least from my attempts, it just crashes. I'm going to rely heavily on other peoples notes.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

hello9217 wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:26 am Yeah I can respect that the app is still in beta but are they prepared to have so many people on it? It can barely handle 20 let alone 10,000 that will probably attempt to go on it once dnp go live. Also when their at home deppy have to tether to their phones for seemingly descent wifi so I just expect a lot of crashes when that day comes. I hope that the app is reading the indirects and working to improve by June 20th. Also I'm really not enjoying it not archiving live shows because if you try to screen record, at least from my attempts, it just crashes. I'm going to rely heavily on other peoples notes.
Oh yeah don't get me wrong, I meant it's interesting what they're doing from the side of what might motivate Dan and Phil - or any other youtubers - to keep using it once the sponsorship is over. From the user side it's a hot fucking mess that I highly expect won't even be capable of sustaining the livestream once phandom all signs on en masse.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

Well I hope D&P get to keep all that sweet #spon money when they are inevitably pissed with Rize after the LS on the 20th. Especially after the updatedphan tests, I don't see that going well at all.
And I'd rather find out how to emulate this app on my computer than to install it on my phone.

I also don't get that cryptocurrency hype. If it works without the currency, there's no reason to add it. It's just a buzzword for investors.

Also umm I'm gonna go fly to Amsterdam now to see ii .....not nervous at all......
thatone
delia smith

flarequake wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:11 pm He looks great in that top, I’m glad to see it properly, stripes and all. It’s so nice to see him talk about old videos. We’ve heard about the truth one, he mentioned that in Tatinof. His accent wasn’t bad, I think I’d have been fooled. I’m glad he explained what that prop was made of, I get so curious about things like that. It’s funny to see some of his old arty stuff and what he has to say about it now, and to see how much quieter he was years ago, not all bouncy entertainer like he is now. Nice that he’s sharing a few things like this with us, interesting that this is what he went with right after the hair video.
This is so weird because I've only been in the phandom for a year and yet I remember watching that video when it came out with a couple of friends, one of which was subscribed to Phil. She completely freaked out and believed it. It's so weird to realize that dnp have been lurking in the corners of your life for that long haha.
sparkle
blobfish

does anyone else find it odd that they've got a pre-defined day in nearly 3 weeks' time where they're going to use it? Before that i'm pretty much expecting a Dan video to relate to this livestream. Like not as a 'go check out this app' but as a basis for a topic.

Also the app itself. I downloaded it, nice to see they're giving away a Switch. I'm not optimistic their servers will be able to handle the stream. Its shocking that its not optimised for Android, though by the sounds of it it doesnt seem to be stable on iOS either. And with how shitty D&Ps internet has been, combined with how many people will be trying to watch it, that livestreams have gone to the same dimension as Dans upload schedule, and that the app doesn't seem to like screen recording... may the odds be ever in your favour.

If this makes me miss the clusterfuck of YouNow then wow.
:sparkle: dan howell gives me life :sparkle:
don't waste your time
or time will waste you
:sparkle:
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

sparkle wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:13 am does anyone else find it odd that they've got a pre-defined day in nearly 3 weeks' time where they're going to use it? Before that i'm pretty much expecting a Dan video to relate to this livestream. Like not as a 'go check out this app' but as a basis for a topic.

If this makes me miss the clusterfuck of YouNow then wow.
Yes i find it weird too! At first i thought it was the day before or after the first USA date but i went back to check and it's not! And why didn't they say anything about Rize earlier? it's still a mystery to me
:gayaf:
DryCereal
koi pond

I mean, I wasn't expecting it to be great, given it's an app by bloody YouNow of all companies... but this is shaping up to be legendarily awful.

"You know those guys" ... yes Phil. We do. Some of us will also remember you and Dan clearly not being happy when they instigated paying for watching past LSs... But I guess all forgotten when they agreed to part-finance the tour, right?

Also: 8pm in what bloody Timezone, guys?

Clearly Phil needs a reminder of that adage about "One it's on the internet, it's on the internet forever." :roll: I'm awaiting a full video on tour lyfe/hotel living/reviews. My 2nd hand cringe/embarrassment would have been far lower with that. Some of you are all praising natural reactions? :ribena: :shrug:
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
dancy
procrastinator

I absolutely loved Phil's video! He was very funny and I've really been enjoying where's he going been with his solo videos this year (except the drawing his viewers one). They just feel more personal and genuine, I guess. Funny how Dan hasn't uploaded in six weeks and yet Phil has already uploaded two videos since the tour began. I don't think the fact that Phil uploaded so late is doing him any favors when it comes to views though

I also downloaded Rize and it's such a weird app?? I know people can't see me but I still don't really feel comfortable being filmed the whole time and the mechanisms are very confusing. I've seen loads of people complaining about it and saying they accidentally called people or went live. The fact that you can only send very short messages and just one comment shows up on the screen every few seconds is annoying and something that might work for a group of friends but not for D&P and their audience of thousands. I'm curious to see how their first live show will go in a few weeks. I assume they're doing it on the 20th of June (8PM UK time) because that's during their break between Sweden and the US. They'll get go home then and relax for a bit before they go live for the first time in a while.

Aaah I'm traveling to the venue in a couple of hours and I'm kinda nervous but very excited!
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

dancy wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:26 am
Aaah I'm traveling to the venue in a couple of hours and I'm kinda nervous but very excited!
aaaahhh so happy for you! have fun! :D :rainbowsparkle:
:gayaf:
liola
rankussy

So I downloaded the app because .. a switch is a switch lmao it let me install it and then when I tried to open it it said my device isn't supported. My phone is from last year what the fuck. At this point I hope someone (please phanshows) will record the live streams or I'm gonna be really sad

On a positive note I loved the video! Phil was so funny and I love when he makes him self laugh, he just brightens and it's impossible not to smile along. He was so weird qnd creative, I would really love to see what a movie script from him would look like in 2018. I know he did post production but I wonder if after all the videos he's made if he wouldn't be more interested in the script part or maybe director. A++ gold star for this video anyway.
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
opendoor
rainbow nerd

I thought it was cool how mature Phil was, like some of the stuff in that video was fucking bizarre, but he was just like "Oh yes and now I am a God taking orders from a peg, neat".

I like that he's able to recognise his old videos don't reflect him anymore, but still see the good in them.

That sort of outlook is just really alien to me, and it made me admire Phil. I've loved Phil videos recently. I feel like what with the AmazingPhil persona I really had trouble getting a grasp on his personality before, but now after every video I feel like I understand him better.

Lol at the horror movie when he started SCREAMING for help, and then was like "Yeah so security came round" YOU DON'T SAY.
I miss Dan Howell's stupid face.
susan2
rainbow nerd

um did Dan have his sweatshirt on backwards today at the M+G?

or is it just sitting really weirdly
the neckline is the opposite way from yesterday right <=>
or does he have multiples of this sweatshirt so the stripes aren't identical
somebody help me

so_cheesy
butt chair

The whole idea of Rize and what's behind it (PROPS by Younow) is repulsive to me.
DryCereal
koi pond

alittledizzy wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:17 am So... I've been doing a bit more reading up on Rize, and horrific user interface aside it's actually interesting what they're trying to do. It's YouNow's attempt at a cryptocurrency based platform, and they're trying to get their own cryptocurrency PROPS off the ground using Rize.

Here's a cnet article, an article from TubeFilter, and a more recent article from a website called The Creative Crypto. As of two weeks ago they were going to start integrating the cryptocurrency based microtransactions "in the coming weeks" and on May 31 the Props site seems to have made a post that launches it so I'm guessing that's why they held off promoting the app for so long into the tour.
Coins and bars, anyone? :sadgarbage:

Having looked at my calendar to see what day the 20th is, I know I won't be free to see the LS - so here's me +1ing the hopes that some clever soul manages to record it for us in all it's messy glory. :stan:
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

kavat
pastel persona

Now that we know that they will do a live show in June it makes so much more sense that Dan wanted to post a video around his birthday. I thought he worded that kinda weird before, but now I get it. I'm still not convinced it's anything special, it could just be an ISG or story time but with a Rize plug.