Dan & Phil Part 73: my furry bf

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
sugar
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: they/them

mm_sunny1993 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:33 pm Don't really have much to add other than according to Sarah's ig story they are in Denver already at least if they are with her.
she’s been in denver for a while now visiting her parents, according to her stories from the past week or so, so not sure that deppy are there yet.

wherever they are i hope they’re enjoying their wine and popcorn lunch :lol:

edit: looks like they might be having lunch st the airport as that’s a vino volo wine flight and there’s a vino volo wine bar in the philly airport
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

i want a story from phil ))::
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
thestigdrivesamini
sad dimple

Are they seriously having a popcorn and wine date on the plane?!? What do I have to do to live that life :happytears: :happytears:
hello9217
flower crown
Pronouns: she/her

thestigdrivesamini wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:10 pm Are they seriously having a popcorn and wine date on the plane?!? What do I have to do to live that life :happytears: :happytears:
I don't think that they are on the plane. A wine flight is like a tasting to sample different types of whatever drink you are having. So who knows where they are. Could still be in philly or have landed in denver.
thestigdrivesamini
sad dimple

hello9217 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:45 pm
thestigdrivesamini wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:10 pm Are they seriously having a popcorn and wine date on the plane?!? What do I have to do to live that life :happytears: :happytears:
I don't think that they are on the plane. A wine flight is like a tasting to sample different types of whatever drink you are having. So who knows where they are. Could still be in philly or have landed in denver.
Jesus, I’m an idiot. You’re right! I saw the wine flight and my brain immediately thought plane (also slightly judging them for the white wine and popcorn combo). I was totally making a flight on a flight joke in my head before I reread the insta
susan2
rainbow nerd

In the YouNow last week Phil said it was the venues organising the M+G comps and contacting the winner...odd then that Fridays' venue don't seem to think they are 'hosting' it(?) Hoping this is just a case of mixed up semantics... Also, nothing particularly interesting, but D+P got a little mention in Louise's insta live yesterday.
(the question was "would you like me to do a live with a friend? if so, which friend?")
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

thestigdrivesamini wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:53 pm
hello9217 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:45 pm
Jesus, I’m an idiot. You’re right! I saw the wine flight and my brain immediately thought plane (also slightly judging them for the white wine and popcorn combo). I was totally making a flight on a flight joke in my head before I reread the insta
ur not an idiot, i fully didn't even know what a wine flight was til now lol. probably because i've 1. never flown, and 2. i'm not even legal drinking age in my country (idk shit abt wine other than it's like,, fermented fruit? or something?)
anyway, why do they have popcorn with everything? i'm sure it wouldn't taste good with wine, just like how earlier this year when they went to the theatres and phil ordered sushi with popcorn and said it tasted terrible combined.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
Amiaw
interactive introvert

susan2 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:32 pm In the YouNow last week Phil said it was the venues organising the M+G comps and contacting the winner...odd then that Fridays' venue don't seem to think they are 'hosting' it(?) Hoping this is just a case of mixed up semantics...
I'm wondering if it was just a mix-up because the venue also tweeted about a ticket giveaway so they must be doing some organization for the event
KatjaZoe
sad dimple

The Try Guys uploaded their vidcon performance of a countdown of top internet things and the whole shipping section was about phan. Kinda cringe, sometimes i forget that this is how a lot of people see the phandom
(starts at about 6:50)

Keith's impression of Dan could really use some work idk what that deep voice was supposed to be :lol:
"He's the guy with his flesh on show. What a hoe.
That's. Our. Dan."
:dogue: :dogue: :dogue:
hello9217
flower crown

KatjaZoe wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:54 pm The Try Guys uploaded their vidcon performance of a countdown of top internet things and the whole shipping section was about phan. Kinda cringe, sometimes i forget that this is how a lot of people see the phandom
Keith's impression of Dan could really use some work idk what that deep voice was supposed to be :lol:
Yeah I'm going to say nope to that video and I'm especially going to say hell no to the photo posted on insta to promote that video. I know people have different opinions of this and maybe I'm too sensitive but I hate when people make a joke out of the phan thing. It's not even because I think dnp are together it's more of the fact that I will never see how being gay is a punchline for a joke. Like I get that so many people make fun of their audience because they all think we are crazy and want them to be together but it's just bs and it's also very misogynistic and misguided way of thinking.
citizen_erased
truth bomb

KatjaZoe wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:54 pm The Try Guys uploaded their vidcon performance of a countdown of top internet things and the whole shipping section was about phan. Kinda cringe, sometimes i forget that this is how a lot of people see the phandom

ugh. no thanks :roll:

Also is it just my weird faulty memory or have they done a similar thing before? Also with phan/Dan & Phil?
sugar
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: they/them

citizen_erased wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:16 pm

ugh. no thanks :roll:

Also is it just my weird faulty memory or have they done a similar thing before? Also with phan/Dan & Phil?
yea, they did basically the exact same thing last year in regards to dnp (they were doing youtuber impressions) at vidcon. only that time dan and phil were literally backstage getting ready to go on.

i don't even know who the try guys are but it seems like they're uncreative and not funny.

the thing is, though, they probably think phan is just a big joke created by delusional fangirls so they don't see making a joke like that nearly as disrespectful as it will come off to a lot of us.
Afunnyworld
sofa crease

lilabet wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:22 pm I am working on a wider community idea tentatively called #phandomkindness for people who couldn't donate. If anyone would be open to hosting group rewatches that would be a great community activity.

I was also thinking people could do bake sales using the Dan and Phil recipes, do kind things for others, volunteer in person etc and tag it all. Then people who can't donate could feel part of it. I was also thinking people could do meetups (safely of course) as sometimes just meeting up with someone is a kindness.

Would this even work? Am I biting off more than I can chew? I was thinking the months between july-october or maybe just October in the leadup to Halloween baking (which they might not do).

Also post note- I am disappointed they didn't hop on younow or tweet about the lack of liveshow. I am laughing that rize is still not working, get than sponsorship money for no work boys.
I'm really love the volunteer and bake sale ideas! I would participate in that.
I think these are great ideas, it just might be tough to organize and get people to join without a lot of help.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Ugh, this shit again? I'm so tired of people treating Dan and Phil, their relationship, and their fans like a joke, especially in the year 2018. Go roast Lele Pons and leave my past their prime faves alone. I actually hate the Try Guys so much. I used to think Eugene was at least okay, but he keeps allowing the others to be insensitive assholes so :shrug: I hope their independent company flops.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

Oh Phil
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

So I'm guessing they aren't planning on asking every venue going forward to change the ID policy like they did in Philadelphia?
fieldoflovers
living flop

I feel like the try guys thing was just another ploy to get attention by using their names, like a week ago trisha patayas was calling them irrelevant on twitter and first of all, we're allowed to say that cause we love them, don't go there and second, it was a pretty transparent attempt to start drama because she's insecure about her own youtube career. I know some people beg for these big name youtubers like shane and others to collab with dnp but honestly i hope they all just leave them alone.

A list of youtubers I actually want dnp to collab with:
1. Safiyya (I know she's also a big youtuber but she's never in petty drama and is just more wholesome and i love her and they've interacted before)
2. The Valleyfolk: literally would die if this happened and with how weird phil is, i think they would click quite well
3. Mike Falzone: he's also a wholesome comedian and i think they'd like how chill he is
4. Natalie Tran: dnp are going to australia for the tour, who lives there? natalie. who inspired dan to start making videos? natalie. Legends meeting legends.
5. Jimmy0010: for my selfish phimmy needs
6. Just Between Us: I think they'd really mesh well as youtube duos who are also best friends and though gaby and allison don't live together anymore, they both used to. Also they can talk about mental health, the amount of people that ship galison and a lot more!
7. Nathan Zed: give the people what they want.
teamug
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

My issue with the Try Guys is that over the years their tone has changed. I'm not an active viewer, but they used to show/present/experience something new, they tried and the resulting effort was funny. But that is no more. They mock, they laugh at something they try, there is no inclusivity of the new experience, or the people who do it. They aren't even sarcastic, the humour is almost bullying in some ways, it comes from a place of power, the try guys have it (ie popularity) and someone else doesn't.
And just pls deppy: communicate better about liveshows, I get enough empty promises from family, don't need them from two people I've never met.
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

lilabet wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:22 pm I actually considered group rewatches as a project for phandomgives with people donating per video.

I am working on a wider community idea tentatively called #phandomkindness for people who couldn't donate. If anyone would be open to hosting group rewatches that would be a great community activity.

I was also thinking people could do bake sales using the Dan and Phil recipes, do kind things for others, volunteer in person etc and tag it all. Then people who can't donate could feel part of it. I was also thinking people could do meetups (safely of course) as sometimes just meeting up with someone is a kindness.

Would this even work? Am I biting off more than I can chew? I was thinking the months between july-october or maybe just October in the leadup to Halloween baking (which they might not do).
bake sales would be nice and local fan meetups sounds good as well, but i do feel that it needs some kind of organization to happen. i used to be in a local fan group for this comic that i liked and they would organize meetups (drawing meetups, cosplay photoshoots, etc.) during anime cons or during holidays or special occasions relating to the comic. i remember we would go to big parks and have potlucks and do games. for the drawing meetups it was more chill and i remember we would literally just decide to meetup at some big mall's foodcourt (or any place with tables) and draw on each others sketchbooks or something. in the beginning, i liked the leadership of the people who ran it but as with any "big groups", there were a lot of in fighting and petty drama within the organizers that we, just regular joe members, never saw until the group just ended cz people left, but i digress.

it wasnt only limited to the ones running the group to organize events, the members could drop in and also make one and whoever wants to join could join in. i literally organized a small drawing meetup back then for my friends birthday and it was a pretty fun time. it comes with the understanding that everyone knew each other so theres that sense of familiarity and even if someone brings in a new person, it wasnt as daunting. at least, that was my experience.............

idk if its also a thing within the phandom right now since i never bothered to check but it certainly does help if its more localized. in terms of fan meetups. as for the baking sales...i cant say much because i barely have any experience in it but i could totally see people starting a bake sale with the hashtag at their local school (with permission of course) or any public place and it would be cool to donate the profits to the charity. but again, organization is key, especially when dealing with money.

in a way i do feel like its "biting more than you could chew", 😅😅😅 but ive seen it happen before and it could work. id be even willing to host a meetup myself, the only problem is i literally dont know anyone thats in the phandom in my city (and i know theres lots of yall cz vancouver is a big city, im just an introvert who only talks about deppy online)
i put it under the cut cz its hella long ^
teamug wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:41 am
My issue with the Try Guys is that over the years their tone has changed. I'm not an active viewer, but they used to show/present/experience something new, they tried and the resulting effort was funny. But that is no more. They mock, they laugh at something they try, there is no inclusivity of the new experience, or the people who do it. They aren't even sarcastic, the humour is almost bullying in some ways, it comes from a place of power, the try guys have it (ie popularity) and someone else doesn't.
oh god i agree with you...i used to watch the try guys for this same reason but now i feel like theyve lost that charm :/
"you are next to me in my life"
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

Lol, well I think it's funny and light hearted. Though the Dan voice could really use some improvement, at least they could have tried an accent.

I don't see how being gay would be the plot of the joke here? They are just joking about the the relationship. In a broader sense, I think it's a bit of a jab at the stereotypical ways in which some people like to ship two guys because they are cute and like to see them together no matter the facts or circumstances.

The reactions here all start from the assumption that they must be a couple, so joking about the relationship or the fans believing it must be some horrible crime ;) . But you can just as well turn that around. Suppose they are not in a relationship, as they say themselves. How do you think that situation gets perceived by others? Their denials within the fandom are often treated as jokes or lies. So really, some phans do the same but just from the point of view that the relationship is a given. You have a bunch of people who insist on knowing they are together despite the people involved denying it, so it's normal for people to treat that as a joke imo.
Last edited by Stakhanov on Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
human
dan hand trash

obsessivelymoody wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:13 am Oh Phil
I’m sure Dan didn’t mind, Phil.
liola
rankussy

Stakhanov wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:39 am

Lol, well I think it's funny and light hearted. Though the Dan voice could really use some improvement, at least they could have tried an accent.

I don't see how being gay would be the plot of the joke here? They are just joking about the the relationship. In a broader sense, I think it's a bit of a jab at the stereotypical ways in which some people like to ship two guys because they are cute and like to see them together no matter the facts or circumstances.

The reactions here all start from the assumption that they must be a couple, so joking about the relationship or the fans believing it must be some horrible crime ;) . But you can just as well turn that around. Suppose they are not in a relationship, as they say themselves. How do you think that situation gets perceived by others? Their denials within the fandom are often treated as jokes or lies. So really, some phans do the same but just from the point of view that the relationship is a given. You have a bunch of people who insist on knowing they are together despite the people involved denying it, so it's normal for people to treat that as a joke imo.
Without going into the old argument of believe/not believe, there's quite a difference between audience joking and discussing amongst themselves about something creator related and a group of relatively new yourubers using the potential relationship/queerness of two famous youtubers for two years in a row to gauge a reaction from their huge fanbase. It's just...really fucking different. Especially when they are not acquaintances or anything like that, so they're using it (again for two years in a row) as the butt of the joke.

I like the try guys, I follow them closely and I'm disappointed by this just like I was last year, especially because people told them time and time again. You'd think at least Eugene, who is queer himself, would understand that there's a definite level of not okay, and would stop them to use the joke and then use it as a funny lolol caption on instagram because really, why just the phan shipping part had to go on Zack's instqgram profile? :roll:
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

No two situations are exactly the same, but I think the similarities are much bigger than the differences. No matter how you cut or slice it, the joking around about their relationship happens by their audience at least as much as by 'outsiders'. Does it really matter if that's done by the try guys who have one audience of millions or by popular fan accounts who also have an audience of thousands? It's not like the try guys hold some sort of position of formal authority. They are popular youtubers-entertainers, but the effect is about the same. When i think back at the time I got back into Dan and Phil and came in contact with fan accounts, I would say that the opinions echoed among fan accounts had a much more stronger effect than any one single joke that one big youtuber could make.

I don't watch the try guys, but that compilation struck me as your average parody skit. I don't think they're trying to be particularly harsh either. It's named something like 'reasons to restore your faith in the internet'.

The idea that Eugene would understand that there's a definite 'level of not okay' i find a peculiar one though? Yes he's queer. So am I. I'd think Queer people would approach this joke with just as much diversity in opinion as any other group of people. I don't see anything 'negative' about being queer being said in that sketch?
It's a bit odd that online shipping culture is centered so much around gay relationships (some would even say it's "fetishizing" gay relationships), but that by itself doesn't mean they are joking about 'the gays' in general, just because they are parodying a gay ship. It's aimed at the shippers rather than Dan and Phil and their sexual orientation.

In entirely related news: i'm kind of shocked no tour bus theories have been launched yet ;) Will we get a bus tour on the Ryze app? Capital L€ster must have thought of the synergies here :mrgreen: ?
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
dancy
procrastinator

You can tell the Try Guys don't actually know much about D&P, beyond the fact that they're British and that people ship them. Their impressions are pretty bad, inaccurate and not particularly funny in my opinion, just like last year and the fact that they did this again is quite unoriginal. It also kinda sketches an embarrassing image of both D&P and their fanbase in front of a live audience of thousands plus the million people who've seen the video. From an outsider's perspective though (like me from 2013-mid 2017), the phandom can come across as somewhat silly.
watsonian wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:54 pm I'm also wondering but far too lazy to go back and check--does anyone remember Dan or Phil mentioning "weekly" liveshows before Rize tweeted/blogged about it? I kind of wonder whether that's even what they agreed to, or whether when they said they wanted to "try" to do a liveshow each week they were just going along with what Rize had just published.
I don't think Rize ever said they'd do weekly liveshow actually, besides tweeting that D&P would be back this week. Phil was the first one to bring it up on Facebook, saying "We are going to start doing live shows each week on the new app Rize". Later on during the liveshow, they said they're hoping to do a Rize once a week, maybe even spontaneously more often (yeah right) and in case Rize doesn't work, they'll jump on Younow instead. I wouldn't be surprised if doing frequent liveshows was actually part of the deal but they must've known in advance that they'd be on the plane to Denver on Wednesday and thus wouldn't be able to do a liveshow, as well as generally being aware of how busy they're going to be in the upcoming weeks, which will likely lead to scheduling difficulties.
thatone
delia smith

Stakhanov wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:49 am No two situations are exactly the same, but I think the similarities are much bigger than the differences. No matter how you cut or slice it, the joking around about their relationship happens by their audience at least as much as by 'outsiders'. Does it really matter if that's done by the try guys who have one audience of millions or by popular fan accounts who also have an audience of thousands? It's not like the try guys hold some sort of position of formal authority. They are popular youtubers-entertainers, but the effect is about the same. When i think back at the time I got back into Dan and Phil and came in contact with fan accounts, I would say that the opinions echoed among fan accounts had a much more stronger effect than any one single joke that one big youtuber could make.
This. I don't think that it's unnatural of them to go down this route when they're trying to point out that shipping is part of internet culture. I guess it's a cheap joke and not amazingly executed, however I still see it as harmless and them just choosing a well known ship to make a quick/"fanservicy" point.