Dan & Phil Part 73: my furry bf

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
dancy
procrastinator

idk wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:52 am
it has come to my attention that it seems they’ve taken out the facts section of the friendship test and i just wanted to acknowledge the loss and both pay and immortalise my respects

and as i can never resist a good hypothesis i’d like to guess that its deletion is due to timing issues:

the segment has 3 other aspects to it even without the facts. the psychic connections is a 10 second part that explains the premise of the electrocutions and is short in and of itself. again, the dan phil rat part is also short. cutting those two out wouldn’t make much difference. the dilemma part i’d assume they think is ~interesting, ~reveals their inner ~hidden nature, and (don’t shoot me) seems fairly formulaic - dan agrees to the dilemma at phil’s expense, phil (generally, though not always) does not agree to the dilemma in favour of saving dan. there’s a /general/ calculable formula there that they can always, and often do, fall back on. the facts part seems like the longest part of the section, involves on the spot thinking, deliberating and involves more improv and free form talking. if it is time related, which i’d guess it was, it seems most logical to cut that part out. though, you know, all speculation of course

logical or not i will miss her every show and sit and pray to any and every deity for her return. godspeed
Top 10 saddest anime deaths :cry: But honestly, that's a real shame! Why go on and on about wanting
to show the real versions of yourselves on stage and then proceed to cut out one of the least formulaic parts of the show? There's definitely other segments which I'd rather they cut out, like the dog trick (I like it but it's the same every show and one magic trick is enough imo) or some of the statistics (I really don't care about that fancy pie chart, sorry boys).

It's been 4 weeks since my show and while I really enjoyed seeing D&P on stage, think they did a great job and overall absolutely treasure the experience, when I look back at it I don't quite think they were as genuine as they said they'd be. That doesn't necessarily have to do with it being partly scripted but it's more about the predictableness and how the answers and questions in lots of shows are so similar and to me often don't seem all that deep or real and instead are just very "danisnotonfire" and "AmazingPhil". I wouldn't say this really bothers me or anything but... well, I picked "No" when the survey asked whether I feel like I really know D&P and I would pick that answer again after seeing the show. Not that I expected them to completely bare themselves but I did think they would stick less to their brandings (I kinda wanna blacklist the word "houseplant" at this point) and pick more interesting fan-submitted content to include in the shows.

This may be a discussion I've missed due to avoiding spoilers until the start of June but does anyone know what Interactive Introverts and "giving the people what they want" means in the grand scheme of things? I mean, obviously they're performing and doing things that people like to see them do to make it an entertaining show for their viewers but then I think of some things Dan has said, which makes it seem like they're sending some sort of message. Like in "A Week in the Life of Dan and Phil", when he started talking about the themes of the show:
The themes of being an introvert, the difference between our larger-than-life personas and the reality of who we are as people, analyzing the relationships we have with our audience, whether people like to identify as fans or individuals, growing up with us, the consequences of control and giving the people what they want and if it's a good idea or not.
Especially the last part intrigues me as it reminds me of what he said before the simulation segment of the show started, about how they're real people with free will and we shouldn't want to force them to do stuff, how the things they do might not always be what we want to see them do and to test how responsible we actually are when getting given control over them through the simulation. Then in most cases, the simulations end with them dying because of the choices that were made by the audience. Idk maybe I'm looking too deeply into this.
Anyway, there's no show today so are we expecting a video? Sims as a nice way to end Pride Month or maybe a main channel video?
Amiaw
interactive introvert

So what they did last night was start with Psychic Connections, go to Dan, Phil or Rat, and then went to Dilemas. After that they did a count of all the shows so far and who was winning or who was the better friend (they are tied) and because they couldn’t do an “all or nothing” they both got shocked on max power as a forfeit which is the end of the bit
Last edited by Amiaw on Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

dancy wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:44 pm
it has come to my attention that it seems they’ve taken out the facts section of the friendship test and i just wanted to acknowledge the loss and both pay and immortalise my respects

and as i can never resist a good hypothesis i’d like to guess that its deletion is due to timing issues:

the segment has 3 other aspects to it even without the facts. the psychic connections is a 10 second part that explains the premise of the electrocutions and is short in and of itself. again, the dan phil rat part is also short. cutting those two out wouldn’t make much difference. the dilemma part i’d assume they think is ~interesting, ~reveals their inner ~hidden nature, and (don’t shoot me) seems fairly formulaic - dan agrees to the dilemma at phil’s expense, phil (generally, though not always) does not agree to the dilemma in favour of saving dan. there’s a /general/ calculable formula there that they can always, and often do, fall back on. the facts part seems like the longest part of the section, involves on the spot thinking, deliberating and involves more improv and free form talking. if it is time related, which i’d guess it was, it seems most logical to cut that part out. though, you know, all speculation of course

logical or not i will miss her every show and sit and pray to any and every deity for her return. godspeed
Top 10 saddest anime deaths :cry: But honestly, that's a real shame! Why go on and on about wanting
to show the real versions of yourselves on stage and then proceed to cut out one of the least formulaic parts of the show? There's definitely other segments which I'd rather they cut out, like the dog trick (I like it but it's the same every show and one magic trick is enough imo) or some of the statistics (I really don't care about that fancy pie chart, sorry boys).

It's been 4 weeks since my show and while I really enjoyed seeing D&P on stage, think they did a great job and overall absolutely treasure the experience, when I look back at it I don't quite think they were as genuine as they said they'd be. That doesn't necessarily have to do with it being partly scripted but it's more about the predictableness and how the answers and questions in lots of shows are so similar and to me often don't seem all that deep or real and instead are just very "danisnotonfire" and "AmazingPhil". I wouldn't say this really bothers me or anything but... well, I picked "No" when the survey asked whether I feel like I really know D&P and I would pick that answer again after seeing the show. Not that I expected them to completely bare themselves but I did think they would stick less to their brandings (I kinda wanna blacklist the word "houseplant" at this point) and pick more interesting fan-submitted content to include in the shows.

This may be a discussion I've missed due to avoiding spoilers until the start of June but does anyone know what Interactive Introverts and "giving the people what they want" means in the grand scheme of things? I mean, obviously they're performing and doing things that people like to see them do to make it an entertaining show for their viewers but then I think of some things Dan has said, which makes it seem like they're sending some sort of message. Like in "A Week in the Life of Dan and Phil", when he started talking about the themes of the show:
The themes of being an introvert, the difference between our larger-than-life personas and the reality of who we are as people, analyzing the relationships we have with our audience, whether people like to identify as fans or individuals, growing up with us, the consequences of control and giving the people what they want and if it's a good idea or not.
Especially the last part intrigues me as it reminds me of what he said before the simulation segment of the show started, about how they're real people with free will and we shouldn't want to force them to do stuff, how the things they do might not always be what we want to see them do and to test how responsible we actually are when getting given control over them through the simulation. Then in most cases, the simulations end with them dying because of the choices that were made by the audience. Idk maybe I'm looking too deeply into this.
Anyway, there's no show today so are we expecting a video? Sims as a nice way to end Pride Month or maybe a main channel video?
Personally I don't think there's much of a bigger message behind it than this was the angle they wanted for a show. To me 'giving the people what they want' feels more or less like the same throughline that 'to tell the story of danisnotonfire and AmazingPhil' did in TATINOF. Semi-dramatic declarations drilled into our head so that we feel like we have an emotional connection to this show that goes deeper than just watching them on stage. I'm kind of on the fence here because I feel like it's transparent and not amazingly well done, but also I don't mind it because sometimes it's just fun to knowingly get swept up in the moment of something. I think they also get swept up in the moment of it; I think they do buy their own hype to some extent. But at the end of the day - I think it's just their branding for this show.
knq
lava lamp

I'm sad if the phacts portion isn't going to return and so curious as to the reasoning! If it were just about timing, I personally think the dilemmas portion could have been cut. I never liked that portion to begin with. They're up there like 'I'd let you burn in a fire if I could have a dog!' and I'm over here like... you literally don't want a dog. You have the power to adopt a dog and you choose not to. Also fuck off you wouldn't let anyone burn in a fire you're not a psychopath. (I'm a very literal person. :shrug: )

At the same time, it occurs to me that maybe that's exactly why phacts got cut. Dilemmas is very obviously more about entertainment than it is about truth, regardless of how they introduce the section. Phacts was neither fully authentic nor fully entertainment. It lists trivia about Dan and Phil as if they're these static creatures. Dan's up there saying his favorite subject in school was English one show and, probably after realizing he said Drama in the book, he's up there the next show saying it was Drama.

They could have used the phact section to reinforce the theme of how they are people and not characters (like, you all thought my favorite subject was Drama? I changed my mind, now it's English. Oooh, ~change~) But they didn't. Maybe they originally meant to, found that the show wasn't as thematic as they'd originally intended, and decided that section wasn't working. I can imagine Dan having some cognitive dissonance over listing any 'trivia' about himself as the One Unchanging Truth.
But I'd take another 2 minutes of IG stories like the ones in Colorado over 100 more hours of II performances. :love1:

I'm hoping for a Sims today! Dan did say 'Happy Pride Month' in relation to the new Sims and today is the last day of June. They are quite busy though.
sweetlyphan
delia smith

alittledizzy wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:03 pm
dancy wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:44 pm

Personally I don't think there's much of a bigger message behind it than this was the angle they wanted for a show. To me 'giving the people what they want' feels more or less like the same throughline that 'to tell the story of danisnotonfire and AmazingPhil' did in TATINOF. Semi-dramatic declarations drilled into our head so that we feel like we have an emotional connection to this show that goes deeper than just watching them on stage. I'm kind of on the fence here because I feel like it's transparent and not amazingly well done, but also I don't mind it because sometimes it's just fun to knowingly get swept up in the moment of something. I think they also get swept up in the moment of it; I think they do buy their own hype to some extent. But at the end of the day - I think it's just their branding for this show.
Something I had thought of but maybe they took it out to try to keep up with "every show will be different". For the most part the European shows were the same and this is the first major change not including set pieces that may not have been at some shows (ie many forms of the wheel). I guess they will change the show again when they go to Australia/New Zealand and Asia..
:prideheart2:
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

Grumpybisexual
delia smith
Pronouns: She/her

Yay finally a new video! I was having a pretty terrible day so I'm really grateful for this one <3

I'm only 5 minutes in but is it just me or does Phil look completely done? :lol:
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

They both, especially Phil, seemed very low energy in this video, but it was pretty enjoyable. A lot of stuff was packed into that video, more than they usually include in something that's only 18 mins long. While I'm not the biggest sims fan at all, what an end to pride month lmao
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

I'm not a big Sims fan either, but I enjoyed this one and laughed out loud a few times, especially at the skeleton innuendos. :skeleton:
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔 :garbage:

(i went through a lot of emotions with this tweet also editing again because i realized you cant strike through a row of emoji??????????)
Last edited by lesterchuu on Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"you are next to me in my life"
SquishPhan
capita£ester

It was a nice Sims video. Not one of my faves, but still entertaining to watch. Plus Dab and Evan's relationship is cute.

Watching them play it always makes me want to play the Sims again, which I do not have the time for.
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

ame wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:23 pm 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
i really hate that this was my first reply from him, i deserve better... but also flashbacks to the shirtless insta stories and weird wiki articles lol.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
lesterchuu
philussy

ratlad wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:33 pm
i really hate that this was my first reply from him, i deserve better... but also flashbacks to the shirtless insta stories and weird wiki articles lol.
honestly at first i was just "hmmm ok dan" to "cool. cool cool cool. ok. cool" but now im just thinking how domestic that is and im not crying my eyes are just sweating
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

That was cute especially Phil suggesting they clone and sell expensive things. He looks so pretty too. The skeleton was a funny surprise. Sims 2 had one you could buy called Bonehilda who wore a maid dress and slept in a coffin.
loonyradish
living flop

ame wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:36 pm
ratlad wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:33 pm
honestly at first i was just "hmmm ok dan" to "cool. cool cool cool. ok. cool" but now im just thinking how domestic that is and im not crying my eyes are just sweating
wait what is this replying to?
sugar
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: they/them

i love sims and i had been hoping for this, it didn't disappoint.

i have to agree, though, i definitely noticed phil looking bored. i feel like we get that a lot from phil with sims though. which is why i always wish they'd switch off with who's controlling the game, i feel like we'd get more out of phil if he did.

as always, dan's mouth getting ahead of him, i thought it was funny when he meant to say 'god hath abandoned us' and he said 'goth have abandoned us'. :lol: (around 8:32)
lesterchuu
philussy

@loonyradish he was replying to this tweet

also like at first you can argue his reply sounds like "oh ha. ha. he sleeps with his laptop on him sad lonely boi" but no, its under the context of what you do "after messing around" with someone....and im gunna put this under my list of things thats been keeping me up at night

(i swear to god dan i dont need to know about your sex life but here we are)
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I had a feeling we would get the episode where Dab and Evan become official today. So glad they delivered. :rainbow:

I thought it was a lovely episode, notable moments other than Dab and Evan ~messing around~ included Phil asking whether they could use the clone machine in all the expensive objects in their house and make infinite money, and Dan not knowing his shit on teen pop culture of the mid to late 00s. The Jonas Brothers wore purity rings, not promise rings.

Oh and the skeleton. Already the best character in the series. We stan a skinny legend! (i hate that phrase but it's a literal skeleton i couldn't resist using it this one time ok)

It was nice to spend some time at Dil's job again as well because they haven't been giving The OG a lot of attention lately. Tabitha still gets paid dust, but I guess they're just not really attached to her and I think I'd rather have them ignore her than force it. :shrug:

Phil did look a bit bored at times but I don't think that he was quite serving the expressions that justify a second part of my I Don't Care video.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
loonyradish
living flop

ame wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:45 pm @loonyradish he was replying to this tweet

also like at first you can argue his reply sounds like "oh ha. ha. he sleeps with his laptop on him sad lonely boi" but no, its under the context of what you do "after messing around" with someone....and im gunna put this under my list of things thats been keeping me up at night

(i swear to god dan i dont need to know about your sex life but here we are)

aah thanks, couldn't see that one!
bluewho
truth bomb

I really enjoyed that one, lots of funny moments. Although I am judging myself for shipping two Sims lol
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I was pretty spoiled for it by the time I got home and got to watch it, but that was a pretty good episode. I almost wish they'd acknowledged pride month, but I'm guessing they might not have been entirely sure when it would go up at the point of recording and it would have been weird to firmly date stamp it if it got delayed and didn't go up til July.

Definitely enjoy how unabashedly queer their content is now. It just... honestly. It makes me fucking happy, completely removed from personal attachment to Dan and Phil. I can't really express how stunned I'd have been at 13 or 14 (or younger) to see a teenage queer romance played out that didn't have any angst or any emotional conflict centered around sexuality. I love serious, complex queer stories but: queer fluff! Escapism content where you're just not straight and no one cares and you fall in love and it's all great! Normalization of queer things that non-queer people never question as anything but normal. I didn't even know it was possible until I discovered fanfic in my teens. I may not always find The Sims the most interesting content, but I will forever love them just for putting this into the world.
knq
lava lamp

So, uh. Pretty sure Phil just called a local news station “the crime channel.”

Welcome to the good ol’ USA? :shrug:
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

ame wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:23 pm 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔 :garbage:

(i went through a lot of emotions with this tweet also editing again because i realized you cant strike through a row of emoji??????????)

Like... he's aware what he just said, right? Are you all seeing this? That's... that's Dan noting what he does after sex. Y'all see this? This very casual, domestic post-"messing around" move? Like... am i going crazy? We're all seeing the same thing, right?

2018!Phan really is wild. :shock:
SHITiveHITtheFANdom
butt chair

alittledizzy wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:39 pm I was pretty spoiled for it by the time I got home and got to watch it, but that was a pretty good episode. I almost wish they'd acknowledged pride month, but I'm guessing they might not have been entirely sure when it would go up at the point of recording and it would have been weird to firmly date stamp it if it got delayed and didn't go up til July.

Definitely enjoy how unabashedly queer their content is now. It just... honestly. It makes me fucking happy, completely removed from personal attachment to Dan and Phil. I can't really express how stunned I'd have been at 13 or 14 (or younger) to see a teenage queer romance played out that didn't have any angst or any emotional conflict centered around sexuality. I love serious, complex queer stories but: queer fluff! Escapism content where you're just not straight and no one cares and you fall in love and it's all great! Normalization of queer things that non-queer people never question as anything but normal. I didn't even know it was possible until I discovered fanfic in my teens. I may not always find The Sims the most interesting content, but I will forever love them just for putting this into the world.
I think this is an extremely important thing to acknowledge. My first foray into fanfiction was (hetero) Twilight fluff (I know, I know! I've grown up and realized the error in my ways and the flaws of the Bella/Edward dynamic (but to be fair I was 11 when twilight came out and I lived in Utah, aka twilight-craze central)). I knew about homosexuality in only the vaguest of ways (that is it was a condemnable "sin" that you should pray away :sideeye: ) and certainly knew nothing of the logistics (sex. I'm talking about non-straight, non-scientific sex). Colour me confused, then, when I accidentally stumbled upon a homosexual fluff to implied smut fic :shock: .

Although I still couldn't quite connect the dots of how they actually did anything (Oh my poor naive 11yo mind), it was surprisingly cute, a bit hot, and extremely intriguing in a, 'huh, this doesn't seem so bad, what's the fuss about? I want to learn more' sort of way. And so I searched out another (very fluffy, very gay) fic, and another, and another. AND LO AND BEHOLD I DISCOVERED A WHOLE NEW GENRE OF FICTION, which to my extreme curious, bibliophilic, book-addicted, sucker-for-a-love-story, socially-awkward preteen mind was IMMENSELY EXCITING!

13yo me thoughts: 'You mean to tell me that there are even more love stories and relationship dynamics that I've never even heard about?! Why haven't I ever read a novel with a gay protagonist- heck gay character in all my readings?! I've literally read the entirety of the school's library and not once have I come across a non-straight relationship. Why not? Lesbians are so cute and cuddly! I'm distraught! I must catch up on all the stories I never knew existed!' Unintentionally (and unknowingly for years), I was slowly having a sexual awakening, all thanks to fanfiction.net on my trusty windows vista.

Looking back at it now, I wonder what my mother would have thought if she had ever bothered to check the dozens of print jobs I was carefully saving into plastic sleeves in a big binder labelled 'homework', when in reality it was my growing collection of favorite, perhaps slightly naughty (of course nothing over teen+ mind you, I was a good Christian girl and wouldn't dare) romantic fanfiction - straight, gay, queer or otherwise! :lol:

Gradually, mainly thanks to Tumblr and the discovery of AO3, I figured out the 'logistics' (nostalgic sigh, to think that I got the majority of my sexual education through horny writers on the internet :roll:) of gay sex, and much more importantly the history, politics, and influence of the lgbt community on society, while simultaneously questioning why love in any 'non-conventional' form, or sex in general, was frowned upon in religion when that is supposed to be based on love in the first place. (Shockingly throughout all this, I still didn't realize that I was anything other than straight until last year if you can believe it!)

And all that brings us to Dan and Phil, whom I actually didn't discover through YouTube (and I barely watched any 'YouTubers' before them), but whom I actually discovered searching 'gay love' tags on AO3, because after reading several cute fics and loving both their 'characters'' personalities and relationship dynamic, I decided to check out their content on YouTube, and then had the pleasure to fall in love with them as real people instead of fictional characters.

So yes, I too am loving how unabashedly queer their content is and the their normalisation of queer things. I couldn't be happier actually! To think of all the personal drama and frankly hell I silently went through as a teenager questioning and coming to grips with 'queerness' and that I could have avoided had lgbt issues been discussed and normalized as I was growing up. I take great pleasure now when I 'think something gay' as well as when I see other people openly celebrating their love. So while I'm not the biggest fan of the Sims, I'll take it and I'll ship it because YAY GAY!

Apologies, I know this had been long and waffley, but I think that's a fitting way for me to end my month of June. So Goodnight, happy insta stories, and HAPPY PRIDE! :bigthumbsup: <3 :clapping: :prideflag: :rainbow: :prideheart: :prideheart2: :rainbowsparkle1: :hearts: :cheer: :blueflower: :bloom: :newyear: :birthday:
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

rizzo wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:01 am
ame wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:23 pm 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔 :garbage:

Like... he's aware what he just said, right? Are you all seeing this? That's... that's Dan noting what he does after sex. Y'all see this? This very casual, domestic post-"messing around" move? Like... am i going crazy? We're all seeing the same thing, right?

2018!Phan really is wild. :shock:
it's such a long-term relationship thing to do as well lmao.
can't stop thinking about that One Scene in WITL of dan and phil
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl