Dan & Phil Part 74: we stan a model

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Phantasy
woodland creature

QuiteFriendly wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:30 am I really don't understand why Dan's brother should be discussed in anyway. He's not a part of the whole deppy circus. Dan has actually kept him rather hidden. It doesn't matter if it is to "understand" Dan better, or whatever excuse people use, it's still really intrusive.

I don't think there's any ambiguity in the way Dan shows that he should be left out of it. Knowing that, to seek him, or information about him, out is just plain disrespectful (and could quite easily be considered stalking).

Dan's brother, and their relationship, isn't a mystery that needs to be solved. He's an actual real person.
That sentiment may have certainly been true in the past, especially in the early days when he was a minor child, but he is fully an adult now (20, I think) and has recently decided to open his social media publicly to share his art. We have to trust that he is fully aware of the response his actions might bring and that he is prepared to deal with the consequences if (when) the more rabid side of the phandom show up.

Now I agree this thread should probably stick to deppy, but I hope that we can loosen up the restrictions a bit and allow for the occasional casual mention and not treat adult Adrian as a protected class or as a ‘he who must not be named’.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

QuiteFriendly wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:30 am I really don't understand why Dan's brother should be discussed in anyway. He's not a part of the whole deppy circus. Dan has actually kept him rather hidden. It doesn't matter if it is to "understand" Dan better, or whatever excuse people use, it's still really intrusive.

I don't think there's any ambiguity in the way Dan shows that he should be left out of it. Knowing that, to seek him, or information about him, out is just plain disrespectful (and could quite easily be considered stalking).

Dan's brother, and their relationship, isn't a mystery that needs to be solved. He's an actual real person.
I agree.

If people appreciate his talent, that's great, but I am very sure he doesn't want to be talked about just because he's Dan's brother. I can relate to that very much. It's also obvious that Dan doesn't want people to talk about his brother either.

I wasn't around when the brother was harassed all those years back and I haven't read a lot about it (googling the brother's name alone would cross a line for me), but I assume it scared him off public social medias for a while? I hope people behave better now.

I won't be searching for his channel or watching his videos.
opendoor
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: she/her

Phantasy wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:02 pm
That sentiment may have certainly been true in the past, especially in the early days when he was a minor child, but he is fully an adult now (20, I think) and has recently decided to open his social media publicly to share his art. We have to trust that he is fully aware of the response his actions might bring and that he is prepared to deal with the consequences if (when) the more rabid side of the phandom show up.

Now I agree this thread should probably stick to deppy, but I hope that we can loosen up the restrictions a bit and allow for the occasional casual mention and not treat adult Adrian as a protected class or as a ‘he who must not be named’.
I agree, he's an adult and his social media is public. I think we should be able to mention him here if it's ever relevant to dnp. (Or I guess in the other youtubers thread or offtopic or wherever if it doesn't relate).

Personally I won't watch his stuff, because I don't watch nature vids by anyone else, so I don't see a reason to. But if anyone watches him, even if it's just because of Dan, I don't see why they should be forbidden to discuss it here.

It's very easy to find, the phandom are going to find it whether or not we mention it on this forum. And honestly at 20, and having had the previous experience, I'm sure he can deal even if some phans do get pushy/intrusive.
KatjaZoe
sad dimple

i am dead :rofl: also dis cute
"He's the guy with his flesh on show. What a hoe.
That's. Our. Dan."
:dogue: :dogue: :dogue:
QuiteFriendly
drama llama

Okay, this is a general reply. This is how I reason:
It's not about protecting someone (adult or minor). It's not about him not knowing what might be coming and/or not being able to handle it. It's not that it's a bad thing to watch the videos or to want to talk about the content. And it's not that this forum shouldn't post things because how the rest of the phandom might react.

What is is about to me is boundaries and to ask yourself why should or shouldn't I cross these boundaries set by someone else, in this case Dan.

I also think it’s important to remember that the reason we know that this specific person is Dan’s brother is because people have stalked and exposed him and to me it doesn't matter whether or not that happened yesterday or 6 years ago. (But maybe that’s just because I’ve met too many stalking victims through work).
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Moderator Note:

Rule three states:
3. Refrain from sharing information about the individuals we discuss or about people associated with the individuals we discuss that the individuals themselves have not made publicly available. This extends to social media accounts discovered of friends and family, ex-partners, etc., and to the current location of any individual we discuss, or any individual associated with them, if there is a risk of harassment or loss of privacy.
In the past this has precluded discussion about Dan's brother, full stop. Given that Dan's brother has now made various social media accounts public, it's understandable that the line feels blurry. It'll continue to be blurry since this is a situation that will likely continue to evolve as Adrian himself tries to make a public presence.

What is clear is that as of yet none of this has relevance to Dan. Dan has not mentioned or called attention to this, and Adrian has not made any reference to Dan in his videos. The line we're going to choose to respect now is to continue to disallow speculation on Dan and his brother using information that does not come from publicly shared sourcing.

Discussion of Adrian's public social media/Adrian's content as a youtuber will be allowed in his own thread in the Other Youtubers section, should someone feel strongly enough about discussing his content to make one.
obvsly
#relatable

Re: Adrian
May I ask for the sake of clarity? I’m putting it in spoiler to be safe. Feel free to delete this if you think it shouldn’t be here. :)
Let’s say, when we discussed the cake that Colin ate last year, about the possibility of Dan being vegan; if that incident happened now, would it be ok to mention that Adrian is a vegan as the information is public (and prominent) in his art Instagram profile (the account is in the description of one of his videos with a “follow me on Instagram for more adventures”)?

This is just one practical example I can think of right now. In the future we might have more incidents like this one where all info are public yet it probably still feels like a grey area for a number of people. I’m not sure about it myself.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Moderator Note:
obvsly wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:29 pm Re: Adrian
May I ask for the sake of clarity? I’m putting it in spoiler to be safe. Feel free to delete this if you think it shouldn’t be here. :)
Let’s say, when we discussed the cake that Colin ate last year, about the possibility of Dan being vegan; if that incident happened now, would it be ok to mention that Adrian is a vegan as the information is public (and prominent) in his art Instagram profile (the account is in the description of one of his videos with a “follow me on Instagram for more adventures”)?

This is just one practical example I can think of right now. In the future we might have more incidents like this one where all info are public yet it probably still feels like a grey area for a number of people. I’m not sure about it myself.
You have raised a good question about discussing Dan's (or Phil's) public postings about their family/friends. Sometimes, information relevant to a topic has been made publicly available by family/friends who may be involved.

Publicly-posted information is allowed in discussion on this forum. When in doubt before posting here, err on the side of privacy and respect, always. And if you're unsure, you can always message one of us privately to clarify information you've found or wish to discuss before posting.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

dnp have a day off today right? i hope phil uploads at like 4:30-5:00.. i miss them )-: </3
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

ratlad wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:20 pm dnp have a day off today right? i hope phil uploads at like 4:30-5:00.. i miss them )-: </3
Tomorrow's their day off, today's the Uniondale show. Hopefully this venue doesn't have crap wifi too. Or he like, you know, thinks about it beforehand and pops into a Starbucks to upload or whatever.
knq
lava lamp

I'm really looking forward to the texting video whenever Phil posts it. I feel like I jinxed it the other day by saying he'd post. So like, I'm excited to watch this new video ~soon~.

tbh I need a break from watching 2012 dnp content. Right now they're unironically using the word 'metrosexual.' ;_; send help
ratlad
angel bean

watsonian wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:15 pm I'm really looking forward to the texting video whenever Phil posts it. I feel like I jinxed it the other day by saying he'd post. So like, I'm excited to watch this new video ~soon~.

tbh I need a break from watching 2012 dnp content. Right now they're unironically using the word 'metrosexual.' ;_; send help
...who are they calling that? what videos? oh god......
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

hello9217
flower crown

That was fucking hilarious. I loved it a lot!!!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

That video was fucking fantastic. They are just not holding much back in terms of revealing how much they do together, how all their plans are centered on each other, and how much of their humor is just weirdness perfectly cultivated to bounce off each other.

I also really love the hotel room insight. The fact that the first thing they wanna do once they've checked in somewhere is meet up just makes me happy.
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

i loved it so much, i hadn’t been that excited for a vid in a long time and i loved it so much i would love if they made another one
:gayaf:
fieldoflovers
living flop

This video was seriously so funny and their level of how well the know each other and how little words they need to communicate to each other is lovely to see. #somarried

Also super interesting that Phil kept in the part about wanting Dan to answer the door if they were ordering so many dip choices because social anxiety, because I don't think Phil usually likes to admit to that beyond awkwardness jokes and I'm really proud that he's at a point where he can talk about these things openly.
SquishPhan
capita£ester

That was fun! :lol: And surprisingly what I was expecting, just lots of cuteness with some weirdness thrown in.
I certainly wouldn't mind if they made a part 2 of this.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

The conceptussy convo is giving me my entire life tbh. What a perfect video.

Also love the added detail that it was Phil Dan was texting that weird "yoga" shit to. (A theory: yoga instructor = couple's masseuse. Debate away.)

I love these 2 massive nerds so damn much. :happytears:
greenergrass
stress mushroom

That was so good. I kept rewinding back parts to watch and I'm about to watch the full thing again. Most people have already said what I loved about it, but yeah just them not holding back how close and how weird they are, I love it so much.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

The whale noise thing :happytears:
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

There was so much I adored about that video. It's truly wonderful to see how they're opening up more as the year progresses. It was really hilarious and just simply enjoyable. I think it was well worth the wait and it's definitely something I'm going to be rewatching a lot.
kavat
pastel persona

That was so cute and fun. It kinda felt like a live show, them sitting super close sharing domestic moments, just with better editing. This is going in the rewatch-pile.
susan2
rainbow nerd

I'd almost forgotten IRL said they were planning to do some USA pop-up shops in connection to the tour.
I wonder if that's why they're wearing the pink and purple hoodies today? ....announcement soon perhaps? ...off to watch the video :D
ratlad
angel bean

"come to me"
"back to phil"
whale noises.
there's too much yelling going on inside my adhd ass brain at the moment, a bunch of stuff they said in the video, i can't comprehend the domesticity of it all.
:happytears: :garbage: