Dan & Phil Part 74: we stan a model

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

i laughed really hard at dans ig story hfjsndsk oop
i should probably clarify that i'm not being insensitive to weight jokes since i struggle with that shit really fuckin badly– i'm also someone who jokes about their mental illnesses as a way to cope. but that being said, i don't find insecurities/eating disorders/body image issues funny in itself, it's just the picture that's funny to me
i seen a couple of people upset about it on tumblr (which they have that right to, i understand why)
i want a story from phil now aaaaa
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

I'm unimpressed with the photo. I recognize Dan is joking, but I think it's an insensitive joke to an audience that's still largely teenage girls - the demographic most likely to be developing body image issues or eating disorders. He's not being malicious, I just wish he'd figured out a different wording or come at that kind of joke from a different angle.
But more than that I continue to be appalled at how unempathetic phandom can be to people who are bothered by things like that. It's not a personal issue to me, I don't have body image issues or an eating disorder or anything that might be triggered by it (aside from general low self esteem but that's more of an all encompassing thing not directly related to weight) but it's really gut wrenching to see my friends being really hurt by the callous attitudes of anons who seem to only care about mental health and supporting/uplifting people when it's their fave celeb and not when it's real life other people in their community. It takes a special kind of heartlessness to say "Get over it, it's just a joke." to someone who is clearly struggling and upset.
liola
rankussy

coffeepenguin wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:59 pm Off-topic re: sweet pizza
Katka wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:34 pm Dessert pizza: Idk if you have it in other countries but there's a frozen chocolate pizza you can buy in supermarkets in Norway and I hate it, why is sweet pizza a thing, why? But my first impression of the pizza in the story was actually that it might be chocolate sauce too. It looked... interesting.
In France, sweet pizza with goat cheese and honey is very much a thing (and quite tasty, I might add). Also, I once saw pizza with nutella, which, yeah, why... but you can find pretty much anything with nutella in France, idek
Dessert pizza is definitely a thing, especially in Italy when it comes to nutella, but it sure doesn't have cheese or sauce, just the draught with nutella, maybe white chocolate and some fruit/nuts. Dan's pizza didn't look at all like dessert pizza to me, but honestly who knows what kinda concoction he ordered.
Dan's joke..eh. I didn't laugh, as someone who struggles with weight and body image I'm never amused by those jokes but I also didn't get upset at it. It's very personal how one might react and I'm really sorry that it hurt people. I think he was trying to play with the skinny legend meme, except for how much Dan likes to talk about memes he never know how to use them. Either that or he didn't think about it which..yeah. Disappointed, but not surprised as they say
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
ratlad
angel bean

it's not at all a bad thing to be hurt or upset by what dan said/did in that ig,
does that make sense for me to say even if i did laugh? if it was a direct jab at people with eating disorders and body dysmorphia then i wouldn't find it at all funny, cause i know it's not something to just "get over" easily, i don't want anyone to think i'm one of those unempathetic people because i understand exactly why people would be hurt by it.
(i feel like i didn't make myself clear enough in my first response)
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

ratlad wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:39 pm it's not at all a bad thing to be hurt or upset by what dan said/did in that ig,
does that make sense for me to say even if i did laugh? if it was a direct jab at people with eating disorders and body dysmorphia then i wouldn't find it at all funny, cause i know it's not something to just "get over" easily, i don't want anyone to think i'm one of those unempathetic people because i understand exactly why people would be hurt by it.
Don't worry, I definitely didn't find anything unempathetic about your response! I think it makes sense that to people who don't struggle with issues like that, the joke is just a joke and it's funny because it doesn't hit on any personal insecurities or nerves or triggers.

When I said unempathetic I meant specifically people uses the anon option on tumblr to attack anyone that expresses that they were upset or made to feel bad about it and to tell them that they have no right to be upset. Trying to police what does or doesn't trigger someone by telling them how they're allowed to feel is the phandom behavior that I just hate a lot - and you definitely weren't doing that.
ratlad
angel bean

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:47 pm
ratlad wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:39 pm it's not at all a bad thing to be hurt or upset by what dan said/did in that ig,
Don't worry, I definitely didn't find anything unempathetic about your response! I think it makes sense that to people who don't struggle with issues like that, the joke is just a joke and it's funny because it doesn't hit on any personal insecurities or nerves or triggers.

When I said unempathetic I meant specifically people uses the anon option on tumblr to attack anyone that expresses that they were upset or made to feel bad about it and to tell them that they have no right to be upset. Trying to police what does or doesn't trigger someone by telling them how they're allowed to feel is the phandom behavior that I just hate a lot - and you definitely weren't doing that.
okok, thank you for clearing that up, i agree with you completely!
coffeepenguin
rainbow nerd

Sorry, I'm about to go back to the previous discussion, but I've just rewatched Pinof 9 bloopers specifically to check Phil's reaction to the text and I feel like you guys are missing a point:
obvsly wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:22 am
alittledizzy wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:40 am
loonyradish wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:14 am I really appreciate this video, and the whale thing was so cute <3

Though I have to say that all the inconsistencies mentioned here make me a little sad. Especially Phil acting all surprised about the message in pinof when he'd actually obvs seen and replied to it before. It's stupid, because of course they exaggerate things on camera, but it makes me uncomfortable because then I'm wondering what else they're just saying to make things seem more interesting.

That being said, if the texts are real (which they probably are, I'm just a very sceptical person in general, forgive me), then they're really really wholesome and the dip one made me laugh :lol:
What do you mean by 'all the inconsistencies'? I think the only one people have noticed is the pinof one, and I don't think anyone is saying that they're exaggerating the text. Just that in pinof Phil pretended not to have heard it before, but that reaction has nothing to do with this video - in which he obviously wasn't pretending.
I didn't even think in Pinof9 Phil was pretending he never heard it before. :mrgreen: I thought he was half exaggerating and half acting out the viewers' possible reactions. They expected us to react one way and Phil was being us, asking the questions we might have had to get more context out of Dan.

They actually did this quite often, mostly in joint live shows where they'd tell us about something that happened to them. Obviously they were often both there together but one would ask the other questions (for us) anyway. The most recent one I can think of was when Dan introduced himself to some guy as Phil and they talked about this in DAPG. Phil asked "Wha.. What were you thinking?!?" I'm sure he had asked Dan that before but the question was there for our sake.

BTW, I've already watched the video 8 times since it's uploaded. :lol:
Actually, the question was (something like) "the latest text you sent is your last words", not just "read the latest text you sent", so no, they didn't provide context for Dan's text, but its general content wasn't the point of Phil's "What does it mean?!", it was in relation to that being Dan's last words, like he had just done it with his own text ("on my way down" / "TO HELL")

Re: Dan's ig story, I'm not in any way qualified to have an opinion on this, but I feel like it's a joke at his own expense :shrug:
Dan wants to be understood. Phil just wants to make the viewer smile and sell some backpacks (c) fancybum
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

coffeepenguin wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:39 pm Sorry, I'm about to go back to the previous discussion, but I've just rewatched Pinof 9 bloopers specifically to check Phil's reaction to the text and I feel like you guys are missing a point:
obvsly wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:22 am
alittledizzy wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:40 am
loonyradish wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:14 am I really appreciate this video, and the whale thing was so cute <3

Though I have to say that all the inconsistencies mentioned here make me a little sad. Especially Phil acting all surprised about the message in pinof when he'd actually obvs seen and replied to it before. It's stupid, because of course they exaggerate things on camera, but it makes me uncomfortable because then I'm wondering what else they're just saying to make things seem more interesting.

That being said, if the texts are real (which they probably are, I'm just a very sceptical person in general, forgive me), then they're really really wholesome and the dip one made me laugh :lol:
What do you mean by 'all the inconsistencies'? I think the only one people have noticed is the pinof one, and I don't think anyone is saying that they're exaggerating the text. Just that in pinof Phil pretended not to have heard it before, but that reaction has nothing to do with this video - in which he obviously wasn't pretending.
I didn't even think in Pinof9 Phil was pretending he never heard it before. :mrgreen: I thought he was half exaggerating and half acting out the viewers' possible reactions. They expected us to react one way and Phil was being us, asking the questions we might have had to get more context out of Dan.

They actually did this quite often, mostly in joint live shows where they'd tell us about something that happened to them. Obviously they were often both there together but one would ask the other questions (for us) anyway. The most recent one I can think of was when Dan introduced himself to some guy as Phil and they talked about this in DAPG. Phil asked "Wha.. What were you thinking?!?" I'm sure he had asked Dan that before but the question was there for our sake.

BTW, I've already watched the video 8 times since it's uploaded. :lol:
Actually, the question was (something like) "the latest text you sent is your last words", not just "read the latest text you sent", so no, they didn't provide context for Dan's text, but its general content wasn't the point of Phil's "What does it mean?!", it was in relation to that being Dan's last words, like he had just done it with his own text ("on my way down" / "TO HELL")

Re: Dan's ig story, I'm not in any way qualified to have an opinion on this, but I feel like it's a joke at his own expense :shrug:
Definitely appreciate that perspective on the tweet, because you're totally right. I wasn't upset by it at all but even I was forgetting the context of reading it out in pinof.

As far as Dan's ig story - you're not wrong, but even a joke at his expense can (and did) still hurt people. It's just a really iffy subject to joke around about. I haven't seen anyone genuinely mad at Dan, just a lot of people that feel... well, bad.
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

dan’s ig story: when i first saw it i didn’t even react AT ALL. now that some of you said some people were upset i went back to check and yeah even now i’m like : i have no particular reaction, which seems weird to me because i am overweight, my weight is my biggest insecurity and jokes about weight tend to upset me.
and so all of this made me question MY OWN REACTION more than that of those who were upset. i mean, is it because i’m so brainwashed by th world around me that i dont even see anymore what’s ‘bad’? is this why i didn’t even react? is it because dan posted it and i automatically linked this joke to his own weight? i don’t know.
anyway, i’m rambling, what i am saying is: i am weirdly not upset, but i fully understand those who are and i send these people love <3

sorry for thé rambling and for the typos (im on my phone)
:gayaf:
ratlad
angel bean

okay now it's time to discuss dan's new ig story: WHY IS HE WEARING A BLACK JUMPER IN THE SUMMER IN CANADA..... IT REALLY IS NOT COLD OVER HERE, WE'VE HAD A HEAT WAVE A COUPLE DAYS AGO. god, just even LOOKING at that picture makes me feel like im suffocating and i actually feel myself sweat now.
also, hot Tim's coffee is not that good, they should've gotten iced capps.
starwatersong
phabergé

Tim Horton’s selfies and timbit reviews.

The most Canadian of content.

By the way, birthday cake timbits are not the best. Powdered raspberry filled are the winners. Psh, Phil.

And +1 on getting ice caps.
autumnhearth
senpai

@ratlad imagine how Texans felt when he wore a black hoodie. Love Phil’s St. Augustine Amphitheater shirt. I remember seeing a bit of it in an instastory and wondering what it was. :love1:
starwatersong
phabergé

Crazy thunderstorms currently — we’ll see how many posts we get tonight.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

starwatersong wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:27 pm Crazy thunderstorms currently — we’ll see how many posts we get tonight.
[personal information removed at OP's request]
kalli
butt chair

I'm so happy that they're in Toronto and I can't wait for the show tomorrow :happytears:

The weather definitely hasn't been amazing today. I got rained on walking home, and of course it stopped shortly after I stepped inside lmao. Thankfully both our thunderstorm watch and heat warning are supposed to come to an end overnight, so it should be nice for the next couple days.

Sour cream glazed, birthday cake and honey dip are my top contenders, but salted caramel is the ultimate timbit imo. And while we're on the topic of Canadian treats, Avalanche (skor cheesecake) is hands down the best beavertail flavour, 11/10 would recommend.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I'm doing the annoying thing and cross-posting from my own tumblr, since I just posted the Reading transcript:

In the Reading II show one of the intimate conversation questions involves someone asking for advice because they’re nervous about starting college. Phil responds saying he wishes he’d joined more clubs, and Dan jumps in to agree by saying: “I mean you might be like oh that sounds lame, I dunno if I want to do it, but it will - if you go to college there will be a club. So if there actually is like, an lgbt club or an anime club - probably like, a furry club or something - you will find your people and I think that’s important.”

And wow I’m so fucking soft for Dan addressing his audience as a non-straight audience first and foremost, suggesting they find an lgbt club to make friends in even before he gives the slightly more jokey answers of an anime club or a furry club. I’ve never seen such concrete proof that Dan sees and embraces his audience for their (our) queerness, and I love it.
alien
procrastinator

My favorite part of Phil's new video that I don't think I've seen mentioned yet (though maybe I missed it) is like 8 mins in when they were starting to tell the story about Phil smelling paint fumes on the tour bus and Dan says there's probably a text about it and Phil goes "Oh yeah!". I find him so completely adorable right there idk why but it makes me rewind each time to see/hear it again.

And I'm still soft about the "come to me" text. Like I know, what else are they supposed to say to convey whose room they want to hang out in? But I just find it endearing I guess. I was also surprised to see that Dan's uses exclamation marks occasionally in texts. I feel like he rarely, if ever, uses them in tweets lol.
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

im back from my vacation and literally had about a dozen pages i had to catch up on. pretty much everyone had said everything regarding the recent re:text video and re:insta stories but my canadian ass has one opinion to add: they truly havent had the Canadian Experience™ if they havent tried iced capp and poutine
"you are next to me in my life"
autumnhearth
senpai

Just dropping these here since updatedphan finally updated
And the most recent one!
liola
rankussy

Dan's tumblr likes are always wild
I have no idea how to embed a tumblr post from mobile help but there's the link
Last edited by Catallena on Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed tumblr embed
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
ratlad
angel bean

liola wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:47 am Dan's tumblr likes are always wild
this is adorable... coop doop.... important post.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Stealing from my post a few days ago I finally finished doing my homework about what texts I thought were all from the same span of a few days:

convo three: bareback adventure (no date shown but circa 9 march 2018)
convo four: regretti the spaghetti (no date shown but phil was away + implied sickness)
convo five: big night in/fish sex (no date shown but that pic was posted to ig 12 march 2018)
convo six: sock band (no date shown)
convo seven: corgi alert (no date shown but if they weren't watching together presumably also while phil was away?)

So Phil tweeted he was ill on March 6 (what they're reference when Dan says 'like you with the pizza.) "Bareback adventure" (the Crash Bandicoot video) was posted 9 March.

Phil tweeted he was back in the north March 10 (which means he could have already been there on the 9th, hence them texting about the video being posted). It sounds like Dan caught whatever stomach bug that Phil had right as Phil left and thought he was recovered enough to eat a bit of pasta then wasn't.
Big Night In was March 12. No way to know if the Sock Band texts were right after that (as in they talked about he movie then Phil asked Dan what he was up to) or if there was time between them.
So despite Dan's 'we text each other sitting beside each other' a nice chunk of their texts (between that + the ones while Dan was away) seem to have been the casual conversations filling each other in on what they're doing while they're not both at home. Anyway I'm gonna go wallow in how cute that is.
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

^^^
you don't know how much it pleases me, @alittledizzy, when a hunch is confirmed by meticulous fact checking. bless you. :stan:

they didn't seem to include any 'next to each other on the couch' tweets at all, so i'm not sure why they mentioned it. did they review those types and conclude they were inappropriate? or too boring?

the result was endearing anyway and i want part 2. phil better make good on his suggestion.

ratlad wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:36 pm
uuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhh...

this is depicting a proposal, right?
art in avatar by lily
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

mermaid blood wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:53 pm
ratlad wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:36 pm
uuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhh...

this is depicting a proposal, right?
yes also same
(maybe its foreshadowing something)
"you are next to me in my life"
ratlad
angel bean

was the fish sex and big night in text from when phil was up north for mother's day?
anyway, this all makes me soft,, sorry it's just cute to think about. also the liveshow dan did a couple of months back (a good and blessed ls) he mentioned being sick when he woke up, and he literally he said "i woke up, phil wasn't here/phil was away" (one of those 2)
it's just cute knowing background info of stuff we've added up from tweets/ig.
this is all a jumble of nonsense from me and i still have stuff to gush about from the video that i can't put into words at the moment.

also yes the coop doop fan art looks like an actual proposal and i'm Here For It.

edit: watching the video again, i'm gonna comment on the part where phil got a gay anime app as an Instagram ad: as a queer guy myself who follows LGBTQ people on ig, twitter, and frequently interacts with them etc i get those same ads. not exactly sure if that's the way they select certain ads, but either way.... lol.