Dan & Phil Part 74: we stan a model

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

coffeepenguin wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:01 pm
I was going to post this during the last time people were discussing the state of Dan's channel, but I missed the opportunity when the thread moved on. But I knew that this topic always comes back, so... :? I think Tomska's latest vlog is very relevant when we're trying to understand what's happening with Dan, I've always liked to compare them, because despite the obvious differences (Tom makes videos which involves a lot of other people, he runs a production company and is very transparent about his process, his mental health issues are a bit different to Dan's), there are also a lot of similarities (they make comedy videos, they both have been doing youtube for a long time and since they were very young, they both struggle with depression and procrastination, they both watch a lot of shows and play a lot of video games, they have somewhat similar type of humour). So, in his June's vlog , Tom's saying that he's in a relatively good place right now and he's talking about the state of his channels and why he isn't really worried about youtube (from 3m01s), and then, later, about his recent series of silly videos on his side channel that he's calling "Content" (does it remind of you anything?) which makes him enjoy doing youtube again (from 14m25s). Others have already said it on different occasions, but it's just another argument to support the theory that the gaming channel (and AP in some way) is providing this space for Dan, allowing to take off the pressure that he is the one to put on himself, sure, but it doesn't really make it easier to get away from it, does it? It's not really fair, in my opinion, to complain that Dan isn't making videos like he used to. I see a lot of that and I understand the disappointment on a personal level, I really do. But people change, they grow up, their sense of humour changes, too (which is for the best, I might add, considering the amount of problematic jokes in Dan's older videos), and anyway there is no contract between him and his audience, this is the thing about being an author/creator, you have a lot more freedom in deciding when and what you're creating. A lot less stability, though, and no regular paycheck.

For me, I really don't see a problem with Dan's main channel, and I especially don't feel like he has anything to apologize for to his audience in relation to his uploading schedule. He DOES upload videos (with Phil), quite regularly, considering they don't have a super big team helping them, and that still get a lot of views, compared to other old school youtubers. No, it's not some high brow content, but it makes people happy, which is the important thing. And now deppy are on tour with a quite challenging schedule, and they've learned their lesson last time and prepared videos in advance to post. If anything, I'm not very happy with the II content itself and the gap between how it was advertised and what it contains in reality, but it's a whole another discussion and anyway, I acknowledge the work that went into doing it and the fact that it gives people what they want and brings them joy, while I'm in the corner enjoying my instagram stories, the lack of bedroom related drama and the domestic masterpiece that is the texting video (this is the content I've subscribed for!).
regarding dan's upload schedule, i agree with this wholeheartedly. im not really concerned by the lack of it. sure, itll be nice if we could have a main channel video, but i understand that theres many layers to this. the most common argument i see is that "dan could literally upload anything and id be happy with it smh" and "dans a perfectionist thats why hes taking so long" and i find that those two statements contradict by a lot; you guys know that as well. the first one is more "giving the people what they want" and the second statement is more "living my truth" and in a way, i think dans still trying to find that balance.

im pretty sure you guys know how hard it is to please someone else while staying true to your own beliefs...now try doing that with millions of people. i believe hes still trying to hold on to some videos in favour of the "flow or order" of things, hence thats why he mentioned that there wont be a "june video" and that itll be pushed back to either september or end of tour instead. (literally, i still keep seeing people mock about the tour trailer being the "june video" when dan himself said on a liveshow that he was pushing it back a couple months???????????????im pretty sure he said it on a liveshow so here i am sitting pretty confused as to why people are still talking about it being the "june video"?????i dont have receipts tho im fairly sur eits one of the recent liveshows)
"you are next to me in my life"
amberblogslife
squish

Hi guys! excuse me for just posting this here, if it's supposed to go elsewhere, I'll take that as my cue to scudoo!

I was watching a Dan Mace video (he's in the Casey Neistat circle of creators) and there's a split second where some beautiful brown eyes are used to convey the feeling of "excitement". Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's our (young) Dan? at 2:23?

Guess I'm just really surprised to see a creator like DM use footage of our boys, since they do create such different videos. It did get me thinking about the whole quality threshold and how maybe Dan would actually love to be associated with these types of creators. And it also made me think about how I maybe shouldn',t be surprised Dan Mace knows who Dan Howell is. As much as I enjoy thinking dnp are still just a my little corner of the internet, they're practically the princes of YouTube, right?

edit: trying to embed a yt video is a struggle for me, sorry!
Last edited by Catallena on Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed youtube embedding
Constantly in an existential crisis.
alien
procrastinator
Pronouns: she/her

amberblogslife wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:44 pm Hi guys! excuse me for just posting this here, if it's supposed to go elsewhere, I'll take that as my cue to scudoo!

I was watching a Dan Mace video (he's in the Casey Neistat circle of creators) and there's a split second where some beautiful brown eyes are used to convey the feeling of "excitement". Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's our (young) Dan? at 2:23?

Guess I'm just really surprised to see a creator like DM use footage of our boys, since they do create such different videos. It did get me thinking about the whole quality threshold and how maybe Dan would actually love to be associated with these types of creators. And it also made me think about how I maybe shouldn',t be surprised Dan Mace knows who Dan Howell is. As much as I enjoy thinking dnp are still just a my little corner of the internet, they're practically the princes of YouTube, right?

that is so weird! that's definitely dan. I really want to know what the thought behind using that clip is for. like where did he get it from? haha
Grey
lady door

I too think Montreal deserved its own tweet. :(
I gave up on it months ago and bought tickets to see it somewhere else (not Toronto though because Toronto was already sold out by then....) but not everyone had the ability to do that.

I’m ridiculously stressed about the remaining TBC dates. I don’t know why; it doesn’t have any effect on my life whatsoever. Second-hand fear of letting people down? :lol:

I’m not sure how they could have handled it better though.
I'm having a stress.
sonicgreen
woodland creature

Fingers crossed i can get into the stream today! i plan on recording it (or attempting to again) so hopefully i can help set us up with at least sOME footage to archive rather than just everyone recapping with notes. Who knows...

I’m also not a fan of how they addressed Montreal, but I know they’ve been having issues with finding a venue forever. Apologies to all the Canadian pals who were holding out for that date. :(
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

Okay, but didn’t Dan tweet this exact same thing earlier this year? :confused:
greenergrass
stress mushroom

The rize show is supposed to start now right? Is it working? Anyone watching? I'm at work so I'll unfortunately be following along vicariously through idb and tumblr
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

whatdoiknow wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:05 pm The rize show is supposed to start now right? Is it working? Anyone watching? I'm at work so I'll unfortunately be following along vicariously through idb and tumblr
It hasn’t started yet.
sonicgreen
woodland creature

I think im successfully recording (i am watching!) and im praying that the screen record will have audio... i may cry if i record the whole thing without audio.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

sonicgreen wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:16 pm I think im successfully recording (i am watching!) and im praying that the screen record will have audio... i may cry if i record the whole thing without audio.
Ah thanks for even trying for all us that can't watch. They're actually in my timezone and they still go live during work hours lol we can't win here (I'm sure it's worse in other places though that are on a completely opposite time zone so I can't complain much)
sonicgreen
woodland creature

whatdoiknow wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:22 pm
sonicgreen wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:16 pm I think im successfully recording (i am watching!) and im praying that the screen record will have audio... i may cry if i record the whole thing without audio.
Ah thanks for even trying for all us that can't watch. They're actually in my timezone and they still go live during work hours lol we can't win here (I'm sure it's worse in other places though that are on a completely opposite time zone so I can't complain much)
Of course! This is god-tier content this time of year, it would be a shame if we had lost the footage. Luckily my days are pretty slow this summer.
George
sad dimple

I'm home, I'm bored, dnp are live, and I have Android... :@*&!:

I just have to complain.
You should never go to sleep on an argument.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I'm working so I took no notes through it but Phil and his anxiety quirks on the plane are fascinating to me. He said how he always bugs Dan on planes because he wants to ask Dan everything and wants Dan to do everything with him (watch a movie, play a game, get drinks, look at the menu) and Dan said Phil needs to find his confidence and know that if he wants an orange juice he can just decide that for himself and order an orange juice, he doesn't need to run it by Dan first. I love Dan's mix of exasperation and also encouragement? Because his voice was quite gentle while saying it, it was nice. And I just always appreciate that kind of insight into Phil.
sonicgreen
woodland creature

I have the entire thing recorded! WITH AUDIO! @Catallena PM me if you want the footage, I can edit it and have it for the IDB youtube channel.
amberblogslife
squish

Quickly jotting this down here in case I forget:

dinof mentioned several times, "will be uploaded when the planets align"
phil merch coming early august, sneakpeek looked like blue and orange/pink sock
they're starting a stretch of bus-sleeping now
next show on tuesday at dan's usual time
lots of turbulence on a tiny plane is scary (flying from canada)
phil's the type to ask dan to decide drinks with him and do everything with him on a plane because "he likes to decide together", dan's more the headphones in and go type

that's all that comes to mind now, in no particular order
amberblogslife
squish

sonicgreen wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:37 pm I have the entire thing recorded! WITH AUDIO! @Catallena PM me if you want the footage, I can edit it and have it for the IDB youtube channel.
hero detected <3
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

sonicgreen wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:37 pm I have the entire thing recorded! WITH AUDIO! @Catallena PM me if you want the footage, I can edit it and have it for the IDB youtube channel.
BLESS U
i missed the first couple minutes of it :-(
whwn i joined they were reading their texts,
dan said "goodmornussy" phil said "Bitch" i think ?? it was his text??? they wanted to have breakfast together and watch the office lol.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
hello9217
flower crown

All I can remember:
-Apologized again for Montreal- couldn't get a venue
-Said there is still hope for Mexico and Brazil- they have a lead
-Flight from Canada lost one of their suitcases so they can't film/upload a gaming video bc all their filming stuff was in it-but don't worry bc they should get it back today
-Whole Foods haul-Phil got lots of sweets and Dan got facemarks for them on the bus tonight
-Phil gives a sneak peek of the socks- merch end of july/august
-Phil always wants to do something with dan on planes- he wants to have that "shared experience" (phil's words not mine)
-They had a really scary flight in Denver
-Phil hasn't listened to ariana's new song yet
-Phil's opinion on new muse song-it was alright
-Dan listened to new Drake and Phil watched dan listening to new drake-opinion is that it's long
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Damn, that annoyed me in a few ways. Mostly it was pretty short after waiting weeks and the app looks messy with those emojis all going over the screen so you can only see half of Phil. I’m not used to using my phone for this, screen is small. Dan can’t decide if they should go because the app’s been working well or because it’s freezing :shrug: so many things to tell are coming later, or not, which we already knew (why do people have to keep asking? Though not having a venue doesn’t make it 99% sure, guys) doesn’t make for a majorly interesting 20 minutes. It froze for me for 5 minutes so I think I missed orange soda and an airline losing their camera in a suitcase? I’d be fricking upset with that, just put the case in the right place and bring it out again, airline. The bit of sock we saw is a pretty colour.
knq
lava lamp

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:36 pm I'm working so I took no notes through it but Phil and his anxiety quirks on the plane are fascinating to me. He said how he always bugs Dan on planes because he wants to ask Dan everything and wants Dan to do everything with him (watch a movie, play a game, get drinks, look at the menu) and Dan said Phil needs to find his confidence and know that if he wants an orange juice he can just decide that for himself and order an orange juice, he doesn't need to run it by Dan first. I love Dan's mix of exasperation and also encouragement? Because his voice was quite gentle while saying it, it was nice. And I just always appreciate that kind of insight into Phil.
That sounds really interesting. I didn’t hear much as I’m working and it crashed twice for me but I look forward to watching later. That reminds me a bit of the last liveshow when Phil asked dan if he could show a sneak peak of his merch and Dan sounded all soft and surprised while saying ‘of course.’ Perhaps he feels he needs Dan’s support or ‘permission’ on things that make him anxious so that they’re a team rather than a lone Phil.

I’m interested to watch the whole thing thank you so much to anyone who recorded the show!
kavat
pastel persona

amberblogslife wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:44 pm
Hi guys! excuse me for just posting this here, if it's supposed to go elsewhere, I'll take that as my cue to scudoo!

Yes, I saw that too! I had to rewind like three times and open up Amazindan to compare but yes, it's definitely him. And then I started to question my life choices for recognizing 0.5 seconds of random footage from eight years ago. It's cute that he chose that to illustrate "excitement".

That live show was alright, I guess. I'm mostly mad about how shitty Rize is. You could literally fry an egg on my phone right now, it's so hot.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

You all failed to provide me with the important information - that dan was wearing a TPWK shirt (jk love you all for all the great show notes). I said this in the tags on tumblr already but I wonder if he also bought the charity pride version.
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

oh man, i relate to phil on his anxieties!! wanting to do something with someone else and getting stressed when the answer is "you can do what you want" like??? pls validate my decisions and comfort me. im like that toward my best friend (of 14 years. that part isn't important, i just love her to death and im proud of her.) i just like experiencing things with other ppl (a select few) and i get very annoying when im anxious i literally cannot stop. i just wanna hug phil ::((((

a thing that made laugh was
"are u guys making another book?"
Dan: hHhHAAAAAAGGHHJHH no.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

lmao Dan was real emphatic on no book and no documentary, which really makes me wonder how much of TATINOF was actually just a huge ball of stress because they were essentially pulling off three major projects (tour, book, doc) at once. I do think that overall they're both enjoying this tour a lot more.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her