Dan & Phil Part 75: @philsthiccbooty

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
nihilist-toothpaste
drama llama
Pronouns: she/her

watsonian wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:57 am
The silent bratty Dan moment is easiest to see on a third upload I came across on YouTube https://youtu.be/4VImxrrDYPM?t=31m34s The person recording seems to not have gotten any comment lag at all, which is lucky! The comments about Dan being rude are actually from earlier in the stream when Dan knocked Phil's chocolate onto the floor for... unclear reasons, tbh. Sometimes the comments start displaying weirdly the longer you've been in the stream because Rize.

I am way too overwhelmed with content to get very analytical about silent!Dan even though I kind of want to. I'll just add that Dan does the staying-silent-until-Phil-invites-him-to-talk-again thing somewhat oftenish, and it never quite comes across as funny as I imagine Dan thinks it is? Phil often doesn't play along, either, which makes it seem less jokey and more bratty. :shrug:

Also the monkey noise Phil uses to shush Dan is weirdly good.
ooohhhh good to know about the comments lagging i didn’t even think to assume they were from a bit earlier!!! ha and i totally agree w the possibility dan does this a bunch for a point of humor but it doesn’t play out as expected. sorry if it seemed like i was bringing down the mood from all the rly fun and wholesome content today btw!!! i def don’t view this moment negatively at all, just (a rare) one in which they are a bit out-of-sync, which is why it stands out to me!!!! thx for the better link too btw <3
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Ah, now I see it on the last link. Is he really doing that for humour? I guess that might make more sense than him just being a shameless diva/brat sometimes. That amuses me. Being 27 means nothing, I had a year of hell being heartbroken from rejection aged 30 and I didn't handle it well. If he actually feels annoyed by being shushed, fair enough to react somehow, but also poor Phil especially in a livestream. It's a far cry from "Can Phil express an opinion".

In other news, they've got me hooked on Big Little Lies. Apparently it's more interesting than sleep tonight (have had a vague cold for over a week, sleep schedule is stuffed).
bestfriendsclub
dank meme

omg. oh my geese. I just saw the rize show and Dan and Phil were in My. Town. and I didn't even know it. They went on the ferry to stradbroke island and the place the ferry leaves from is in my actual town that I live in. They pretty much could've heard me screaming at their videos they were that close. Don't mind me I'll just be crafting into my pillow... er.. that sounds weird.
Phantasy
woodland creature

I have the suspicion that silent/pouty Dan was only slightly for dramatic effect (and a laugh)... I can totally picture them getting into a domestic because Dan has a way of hijacking a conversation with his opinions and Phil is for the most part is deferential... but if Phil has to administer the rare shush, Dan knows he’s crossed the line and his melodramatic silence is a (passive aggressive) begrudging politeness.
knq
lava lamp

nihilist-toothpaste wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:05 am
The silent bratty Dan moment is easiest to see on a third upload I came across on YouTube https://youtu.be/4VImxrrDYPM?t=31m34s The person recording seems to not have gotten any comment lag at all, which is lucky! The comments about Dan being rude are actually from earlier in the stream when Dan knocked Phil's chocolate onto the floor for... unclear reasons, tbh. Sometimes the comments start displaying weirdly the longer you've been in the stream because Rize.

I am way too overwhelmed with content to get very analytical about silent!Dan even though I kind of want to. I'll just add that Dan does the staying-silent-until-Phil-invites-him-to-talk-again thing somewhat oftenish, and it never quite comes across as funny as I imagine Dan thinks it is? Phil often doesn't play along, either, which makes it seem less jokey and more bratty. :shrug:

ooohhhh good to know about the comments lagging i didn’t even think to assume they were from a bit earlier!!! ha and i totally agree w the possibility dan does this a bunch for a point of humor but it doesn’t play out as expected. sorry if it seemed like i was bringing down the mood from all the rly fun and wholesome content today btw!!! i def don’t view this moment negatively at all, just (a rare) one in which they are a bit out-of-sync, which is why it stands out to me!!!! thx for the better link too btw <3
I'm totally with you on enjoying the few out-of-sync dnp moments we've gotten to see in the Rize liveshows! It's interesting to watch how well they work together and the fact that they usually do have a pretty impressive mind meld makes it especially interesting when they're on different pages. I don't mean to be hugely critical by calling Dan bratty, I just think it suits the whole silent treatment thing he does? I can tell he thinks it's funny from everything you described like the 'this guy' hand flip, but I personally find it more annoying than amusing. Totally my personal perception, though!

It reminds me of the Geometry Dash gaming video. For comparison, I think Dan being silent in that video was less him joking or trying to be funny and more genuine irritation. Phil makes the joke "Dan's not hot" at about 10:35 and Dan seems deeply unamused for a solid minute afterwords. (Because it's an old meme, obviously. Yep. That is definitely the reason. Memes. Nothing to do with Dan's attractiveness or Phil's perception of it. Nope. It's all about those memes. :garbage: )
Having said that, it's a gaming video that they have full control over editing and I imagine if Dan didn't think that minute was funny he'd have cut it out. :shrug: People have different senses of humor I guess.

I personally think Dan is sensitive about being told to shush, but the combination of Phil being the one to do it and his being in performer-mode for the liveshow results in a reaction that's mostly for the lulz. But when I watch old liveshows, the chat telling Dan he talks a lot or too much is one of those things he brings up just to contradict every time, which makes me feel like it is (or at least was) a sore spot. Dan of 2013 apparently found it awkward if he had to stop talking long enough to 1) cough or 2) drink water. Which is... Wow. It's also not the case anymore, all hail 2018 and such, but I can see how dnp sharing liveshows results in some slightly off-sync moments if Dan started at a place where literally 4 seconds of not speaking was deeply awkward for him.

If none of that made sense I'm just going to preemptively blame waking up to dnp posting cute beach photos for turning my brain to mush!

edit: while I'm being waffley I'm just going to add that Phil shushing Dan by making a noise like a monkey is cute as fuck and gets cuter every time I hear it. I make that noise at my cat. :lol:
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

first of all @LurkingTrash i saw your comment and thank you!

re: shusshing dan

idk i find its less of a jokey thing and more of a playful banter thing. yeah, it might be a sensitive thing for dan introspectively but i feel like its just in his personality to "whine" and over-exaggerate just for the dramatics. i find it mostly amusing tho, because i can tell phil knows enough of his bullshit to not be bothered by it. you can tell that sometimes phil gives in to him (like the good dad that he is cough) simply because given the situation, its something that he can allow, but on some occasions where phil wants to be assertive with his own opinion, he reciprocates by giving him The Look™ or that exasperated sigh followed by a "Dan." like, dan can whine all he wants but phil can sass him just as well.

however, the more i think about it, i see how its also the same if we flip it around. dan also gives him the "This Guy." look whenever phil does his phil things, but lets him do it anyways because i dont know, love i guess? both of them know their boundaries very well but its interesting for us to witness whenever the two of them tease or test it because its almost always either "i love you but youre being annoying so stop" or "ok fiNE, ill let you do it".

anyways, ill stop before i start letting my inner demons out :garbage:
"you are next to me in my life"
hello9217
flower crown

watsonian wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:01 am
nihilist-toothpaste wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:05 am

I'm totally with you on enjoying the few out-of-sync dnp moments we've gotten to see in the Rize liveshows! It's interesting to watch how well they work together and the fact that they usually do have a pretty impressive mind meld makes it especially interesting when they're on different pages. I don't mean to be hugely critical by calling Dan bratty, I just think it suits the whole silent treatment thing he does? I can tell he thinks it's funny from everything you described like the 'this guy' hand flip, but I personally find it more annoying than amusing. Totally my personal perception, though!

It reminds me of the Geometry Dash gaming video. For comparison, I think Dan being silent in that video was less him joking or trying to be funny and more genuine irritation. Phil makes the joke "Dan's not hot" at about 10:35 and Dan seems deeply unamused for a solid minute afterwords. (Because it's an old meme, obviously. Yep. That is definitely the reason. Memes. Nothing to do with Dan's attractiveness or Phil's perception of it. Nope. It's all about those memes. :garbage: )
Having said that, it's a gaming video that they have full control over editing and I imagine if Dan didn't think that minute was funny he'd have cut it out. :shrug: People have different senses of humor I guess.

I personally think Dan is sensitive about being told to shush, but the combination of Phil being the one to do it and his being in performer-mode for the liveshow results in a reaction that's mostly for the lulz. But when I watch old liveshows, the chat telling Dan he talks a lot or too much is one of those things he brings up just to contradict every time, which makes me feel like it is (or at least was) a sore spot. Dan of 2013 apparently found it awkward if he had to stop talking long enough to 1) cough or 2) drink water. Which is... Wow. It's also not the case anymore, all hail 2018 and such, but I can see how dnp sharing liveshows results in some slightly off-sync moments if Dan started at a place where literally 4 seconds of not speaking was deeply awkward for him.

If none of that made sense I'm just going to preemptively blame waking up to dnp posting cute beach photos for turning my brain to mush!

edit: while I'm being waffley I'm just going to add that Phil shushing Dan by making a noise like a monkey is cute as fuck and gets cuter every time I hear it. I make that noise at my cat. :lol:
I always go back to the google feud video for peak bratty dan. Dan is acting as if he's really annoyed throughout the whole thing and then at 6:14 phil is finally like "chill out dan" and then dan goes on to explain that he's not mad he's just joking so maybe it is just a different since of humor sort of thing :shrug: (video under the cut)
Last edited by lefthandedism on Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed youtube tag
fieldoflovers
living flop

I just caught up with the liveshow and I loved it!

The bratty dan thing: I absolutely love phil's reaction because to me, he doesn't seem taken aback by it, its very 'I'm used to this, no need to talk abt it',,, i guess it stood out to me because its one thing to say they're comfortable with every side of each other and its another to see it? I read it as Dan being comfortable enough to be over dramatic and lowkey bratty and phil to just shrug basically. It was an interesting moment for sure.

Another moment that I really liked was them discussing the greatest showman opinions and phil going in with the positives and dan kind of agreeing but ultimately stating how shit the story was (agreed btw)and phil said "ooh everyone in the comments has different opinions" and dan going on about a spiel about how people have different opinions. I loved it cause while I think dan was trying to tell the audience hey different people, different opinions can co-exist, i think he was also talking to phil because of phil's aversion to negative opinions? I really hope phil kind of gets that he can be negative sometimes and no one will end him for it and i just love the way those two communicate, even though i might be reading too much into it,,,

Agree with the zzquil theory, another theory dan might be an alien, i have been on long flights before and the most i've slept has been 1 hour

Also today is Fanfic Writers Appreciation day so quick shout out to the wonderful phanfic writers in the forum! Y'all are doing the lord's work and make my life in the phandom way better! also also if someone who hasn't posted fic before but wants to is reading this, do it! I posted my first fic for the phandom a few months ago and its been a fun ride since!

One last thing, @dnp for future rize shows: pls don't do 3 people at once, the lag will kill us all, and i know its hard but do us pst people a solid and not go live at 6 am? that seems unlikely but plz thx
Last edited by fieldoflovers on Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

all of this talk feels like im gonna be seeing my parents fight when i finally get a chance to watch the ls. btw thank u all who recorded it and edited it!
i only seen the very end of it this morning and were they talking about uploading a video tomorrow night (for them) and morning for us? im very confusion.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
dc34
glabella

fieldoflovers wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:24 am I just caught up with the liveshow and I loved it!

The bratty dan thing: I absolutely love phil's reaction because to me, he doesn't seem taken aback by it, its very 'I'm used to this, no need to talk abt it',,, i guess it stood out to me because its one thing to say they're comfortable with every side of each other and its another to see it? I read it as Dan being comfortable enough to be over dramatic and lowkey bratty and phil to just shrug basically. It was an interesting moment for sure.

Another moment that I really liked was them discussing the greatest showman opinions and phil going in with the positives and dan kind of agreeing but ultimately stating how shit the story was (agreed btw)and phil said "ooh everyone in the comments has different opinions" and dan going on about a spiel about how people have different opinions. I loved it cause while I think dan was trying to tell the audience hey different people, different opinions can co-exist, i think he was also talking to phil because of phil's aversion to negative opinions? I really hope phil kind of gets that he can be negative sometimes and no one will end him for it and i just love the way those two communicate, even though i might be reading too much into it,,,

Agree with the zzquil theory, another theory dan might be an alien, i have been on long flights before and the most i've slept has been 1 hour

Also today is Fanfic Writers Appreciation day so quick shout out to the wonderful phanfic writers in the forum! Y'all are doing the lord's work and make my life in the phandom way better! also also if someone who hasn't posted fic before but wants to is reading this, do it! I posted my first fic for the phandom a few months ago and its been a fun ride since!

One last thing, @dnp for future rize shows: pls don't do 3 people at once, the lag will kill us all, and i know its hard but do us pst people a solid and not go live at 6 am? that seems unlikely but plz thx
I agree with all of this! Phil's reaction seemed very much like he is used to it, like he's seen it before in the past. I just love seeing different aspects of their relationship. Its so fascinating for me. Also, I'm a sucker for whiny!dan compilations lol :lol:

Also, agree with the aspects of Phil and his opinions. I love watching both of their individual live shows, but one thing that always lacked for me was the fact that he held back on opinions which makes it hard for me to remember the live
shows later on.

Finally, agree with Dan about Ari's album, i love her but the album isn't that good. Most of the songs are shit which was a giant let down.
knq
lava lamp

ratlad wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:28 am all of this talk feels like im gonna be seeing my parents fight when i finally get a chance to watch the ls. btw thank u all who recorded it and edited it!
i only seen the very end of it this morning and were they talking about uploading a video tomorrow night (for them) and morning for us? im very confusion.
Oh no! You totally won't I promise. I actually think they were more in sync in this liveshow than the last one. I just love analyzing the balls out of small things and I love it when others feel the same. :love1:

They said the video would be out tomorrow "if they would figure out when tomorrow is" because of confusion over timezones. It sounded like it would up approximately 24 hours after this liveshow, but I hope someone corrects me if I'm interpreting that wrong.
manchester~macchiato
placenta
Pronouns: She/Her

i heard about this thread on my first post so hi everyone :hearts:
QuiteFriendly
drama llama

I'm actually kind of surprised that people think it's okay to shush another adult. Especially in front of other people. It irks me every time Phil does it and I find just plain rude. I understand why Dan might over play his reaction because that's an easy way to get out of that kind of situation without seeming like you think it's okay to be treated like that (and at the same time letting it go because of an audience/other people) .
dc34
glabella

QuiteFriendly wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:19 am I'm actually kind of surprised that people think it's okay to shush another adult. Especially in front of other people. It irks me every time Phil does it and I find just plain rude. I understand why Dan might over play his reaction because that's an easy way to get out of that kind of situation without seeming like you think it's okay to be treated like that (and at the same time letting it go because of an audience/other people) .
I think people find it fine because as friends they know each other's boundaries. If either one truly hated it, then they would have talked to the other person about it privately and it would have stopped. Also, they cut each other off all the time. Dan would never say hush like Phil, but he has been known to cut Phil off in the past.
scientia
phabergé

QuiteFriendly wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:19 am I'm actually kind of surprised that people think it's okay to shush another adult. Especially in front of other people. It irks me every time Phil does it and I find just plain rude. I understand why Dan might over play his reaction because that's an easy way to get out of that kind of situation without seeming like you think it's okay to be treated like that (and at the same time letting it go because of an audience/other people) .
It really irks me when Dan talks over Phil or flat-out won't let him get a word in - and we don't usually see Phil react with anything other than humor in those situations. In fact I can't ever remember Phil going silent? It seems to be a dynamic thing between them. But I personally find that behavior more rude than the occasional shushing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

hmm, i mean, its not really shushing perse. i think its more rude for another adult cut-off others by start talking about their own thing without letting the other person finish OR letting the other person know that they want to talk. cough dan cough in this case, though simply more casual, phil's random babbling served the purpose of letting him know that he wants to say his opinion too.

good conversations usually has a good balance and flow - if only one person keeps on talking, then the entire thing can feel very one-sided. i think both of them, especially dan, is very aware how dan can talk nonstop and sometimes his mouth runs off before his mind can catch up. i feel like theyve talked about this privately before, phil being more assertive may be one of their solutions, especially for dan, its a habit thats hard to break without external help. (hey, im a gemini too so i totally get it)

also, hi @manchester~macchiato! feel free to jump in the current conversations or add new ones relating to dan and phil :platonic:
"you are next to me in my life"
knq
lava lamp

horrible boy
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

fancy_nancy wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:11 pm september is a couple of weeks away ..... I wonder when they're going to announce the tbc dates are just not going to happen :) (me? extremely salty about this? more likely than you think)
The liveshow makes it sound like hope is not yet totally dead. From 23:05 (of the IDB recording):
Dan: Someone said they're excited to see us in India. Dan and Phil coming to Mumbai. It's the...it's the last thing on the schedule....Mumbai. Atm.
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

:rofl: that ig story is gold. Phil looks lovely. Every time I think of him being a cheeky sh*t or the naughtier one, I remember the times Dan has snuck up behind him and made him scream. Horrible boy indeed ;) Can’t ever tell if either of them is actually Dom or sub, but moments like that give ideas.
Flomy
sofa crease

I love waking up to new meet and greet pictures. :love2: Them attempting the Dele Alli challenge had me cackling for some reason. :rofl:
phanfckingtastic
living flop
Pronouns: he/him

Yay new video in a few hours, maybe? (fingers crossed).
Also how adorable is that ig video! "Horrible boy" ugh disgustingly cute but what's new. :xoxo:

I reached out to Rize after the last stream to suggest the flood of emoji could be at the top horizontally instead of the side because it covers Phil's face the whole time, and they have replied they'll take the feedback into consideration, lol. I'm taking all the credit if they change it haha
But for real, let me see Philly's face ffs it's so annoying
eternal dan and phil mood -> :happytears:
Ribona
crusty sponge

Flomy wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:36 am I love waking up to new meet and greet pictures. :love2: Them attempting the Dele Alli challenge had me cackling for some reason. :rofl:
They tried their best, bless them :lol:

I just woke up and that IG story is so cute it made me soft <3 They're just out there living their best lives and having fun together I love them.
liola
rankussy

That liveshow was really good, I love late night tired and content deppy :happytears: I love Dan talking about Martyn so casually, I love that 2018 dnp is all about sharing their shared experiences without downplaying just how much they do together. I've been watching some old liveshows and the difference is so staggering!

About Phil shutting Dan, as someone who accidentally does what Dan does aka talking over people and sometimes not letting them talk unless I finish (is it a Gemini trait I swear it must be) I don't find offence in Phil's way of telling Dan to let him talk, because he did it in a very kind way imo.

I hate when I don't let people talk or talk over them cause I don't notice, and whenever someone makes me notice in a blunt way I feel really bad and anxious, and I think Dan's reaction shows the opposite, it was just bants imo
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
yeetussy
glabella

Idk I personally find it ruder to talk over people constantly, to the point of silencing them, and then getting bratty abt being silenced, than shushing someone to get that word in. (Also having dated a Gemini, i think it might be a trait :lol: :roll: )

But hey I might just be thinking that bc interrupting and talking over people is like my biggest pet peeve. Also they’ve been friends for centuries so maybe that’s a factor as well.
dancy
procrastinator

Am I the only one who's surprised that Mr. Capita£ester didn't mention his merch at any point during the live show? I mean, a bunch of it has already sold out but I was still expecting some sort of spon or acknowledgement in the form of pride or gratitude, like "I'm so happy you guys liked it" or something.

Anyway, I've definitely warmed up to Rize! I mean, there's absolutely still some issues that could be worked on but the live shows have been pretty enjoyable thus far and even the parts where they dragged people in weren't as bad as I thought they'd be. I agree that the moments where D&P have some sort of disagreement or seem a little out-of-sync are interesting to watch, like Brown Lake vs Brown Bear Lake/Dan is 26 vs 27 or Dan being a bit sassy when he gets silenced vs Phil just raising his eyebrows when Dan interrupted him two live shows ago.

I don't have much of a problem with Phil shushing Dan (as opposed to another adult he doesn't know very well) since they've been friends for ages and know their boundaries. I guess one could consider Dan hitting Phil when they were talking about The Greatest Showman or him slapping the licorice out of his hand rude too but for me it just leads back to the same argument that they're good enough friends :shrug: