Dan & Phil Part 76: i can't i don't have legs

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

lilabet wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:00 pm
rizzo wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:51 pm
flarequake wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:34 pm Planning by the seat of their pants :shock: so much notice :roll:
I hope this isn't a "we didn't sell enough seats so let's combine shows" situation, because that's a bit... ick. Also, I feel bad for anyone who was traveling in for the 12th and possibly leaving that night or the next day. Ridiculously late notice.

I love Dan and Phil, but I 100% don't love how they book their tours. The poor TBC folks... :(
I don't think it's that as they performed some pretty empty shows in the US. It could be that someone's Visa is delayed, the set will be stuck in transit for longer than expected etc. With the amount of work to amend all the tickets, VIPs, refunds I doubt it'd just be because it didn't sell enough. Although I'd be interestiny to see how they are going to merge them and make a bigger show.
That's true. I find myself wondering how they're going to split seats that are double-booked. I'd want some of my money back if I were given a shittier seat tbh.

That's also going to be a VERY long M&G.

(Also, can I just say how hilarious it is that Phil always has the give the bad news? Paired with a smiley emoji. It's starting to rub me the wrong way tbh.)
RiriPandaHeart2
phabergé

Hi. I haven't been here in.... months. :oops:

I was an active poster last year, so I do hope some people still remember me... But if not, hi to everyone again. :ribena: :platonic:

Anyway, as part of the Filipino Phandom, I thought I'd share my concerns here. Tbh, if I'm going to go by what was said in the site, it seems like it's the people who went for the schedule on the 12th who will be the ones to lose their seats, and will be given the "best seat" available. If it's like that, I won't be losing my seat cause I'm from the 13th sched, but I do feel really bad for those who had seats during the 12th. I'm pretty sure a lot of the seats overlap so I don't know how Dip & Pip are going to fix this. My suggestion would be for them to do 2 shows at different times for the day (like what they did in other countries. I forgot the technical term for it). But then, I can see how tired they are already.... So I'm not exactly sure what they should do. I do hope they clarify the issue though. I do know some people coming in from places outside of Manila (though granted, I've only been in contact with the peepz going on the 13th, but I'm pretty sure there are also people from the provinces going to the 12th sched). :| It's pretty expensive renting a hotel here in Manila, so I feel really bad for those who'd have nowhere to stay. :? Basically, this whole thing is making me worry a lot. And I really hope that it's because of equipment and logistics and not because both or the 2nd show alone was not sold out (though from the last time I viewed the site, which was months ago, there were really a lot of unsold tickets. Only the VIP dates were really sold out). :(
P: What are you doing?

D: I'm feeding it to you.

P: Why is it so slow?
hello9217
flower crown
Pronouns: she/her

They should have had an official ii twitter that tweeted out info about the shows and then dan and phil just rt it. Also someone could then respond to peoples questions. I mean tour is over in a month so I guess it doesn't matter but it would have made a lot more since. And honestly at the end of the day bad news is bad news no matter who's giving it out. Maybe Phil is the one that does it because people tend to be a bit more mean towards dan. But yeah Phil needs to stop putting an emoji on the end. I know he does it to lighten the mood but it just doesn't work.
liola
rankussy

I don't think it's about the shows not being sold out, someone asked the actual theatre and they replied that the show on the 12th was sold out. I do wonder what kind of logistic situations would come up 10 days prior the show that didn't come up in the months and months of planning.

I'm assuming they can't do two separate shows in the same day because it's not allowed, I know some theatre only do performances during the evening. Plus it must be really tiring.

Considering how much backslash they're already getting and how much money they're gonna lose with refunds I'm assuming this is the only option they could come up with and it's out of their hands. To be honest, if it was any other artists I would've excepted them to cancel it (which, correct me if I'm wrong but it didn't happen once right? I mean besides the tbc dates which, by nature of being tbc I'm not gonna count)

I feel really sad for the Manila peeps that will probably not be able to go. And I too am over Phil being the one that always had to announce bad news, I get he seems to be the one more in control when it comes to the business side of things but he's starting to get the blame and be the one people expect to have information
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Honestly, I don’t think the first Manila show actually sold out. I believe that when the venue realized that the show wasn’t gonna happen anymore - for whatever reason - they simply stopped selling tickets and said it was sold out when people asked why they couldn't buy any for that day. Otherwise, how on earth are they gonna mix a sold out show with another one? That's just impossible.

Also, I'm not a fan of how dnp drop those informations and then dissolve into the void. They always do this and it messes with my patience a little bit, tbh. Like, buddies. C'mon.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
sonicgreen
woodland creature

This sucks, it really does. And I'm sorry to any of our friends in Manilla that will have to suffer... We'll never really know why the communication is so few and far in between -it could easily be out of their hands- but that has been the running flaw of the tour :(
I also have to give their team the benefit of the doubt that this was the only solution... I agree that they wouldn't want all the negatives that come with a move like this if it wasn't for a strong reason.
fancybum
senpai

sonicgreen wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:37 pm This sucks, it really does. And I'm sorry to any of our friends in Manilla that will have to suffer... We'll never really know why the communication is so few and far in between -it could easily be out of their hands- but that has been the running flaw of the tour :(
I also have to give their team the benefit of the doubt that this was the only solution... I agree that they wouldn't want all the negatives that come with a move like this if it wasn't for a strong reason.
*the running flaw of Dan and Phil as online personalities :roll:
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
dc34
glabella

I dont think It being sold out or not the problem. In the US they had shows that didn't sell out, and the St, Augustine one didn't even have 1/2 its ticket sold. I'm guessing it is what he's telling us a logistical problem.

That being said, both need to communicate better and not a 1/2 ass tweet and leave everyone on reply. Also, for the love of god if they leave this to another live show to talk about im gonna be annoyed, and Im not from Manila. They need to give people plenty of time to work out their if their accommodations. Don't even get me started on TBC

They posted more info on the tour website if anyone wants more answers.
Grey
lady door

Isn’t it like 2am in Sydney right now? I kind of see why they’re not answering questions now if that’s the case. But their communication still sucks. Big time. I’m surprised it’s still so bad because I would think they would have someone working with them on PR type of things.
thealexeffect wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:29 pm Honestly, I don’t think the first Manila show actually sold out. I believe that when the venue realized that the show wasn’t gonna happen anymore - for whatever reason - they simply stopped selling tickets and said it was sold out when people asked why they couldn't buy any for that day. Otherwise, how on earth are they gonna mix a sold out show with another one? That's just impossible.

Also, I'm not a fan of how dnp drop those informations and then dissolve into the void. They always do this and it messes with my patience a little bit, tbh. Like, buddies. C'mon.
This explanation makes sense to me. It can’t have been sold out if they’re merging it with another show in the same theatre.
I'm having a stress.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Wait, was the announcement really only made on social media? No email from the venue or ticketseller? Yikes.

Since I began managing the IDB channel, I've come to realize that many people who watch Dan and Phil don't have social media. They rely on their videos to keep up with them (another reason why I'm still a bit pissy at Dan for disappearing from YouTube and only saying something vague about it on Rize, but that's another subject) and considering the amount of tour #spon in videos it's completely reasonable that people just aren't being properly informed rn if that's the case. Ugh, they're so tragic at communication. It's the only downside of D&P not being surrounded by an entire team of people who take care of everything... at the end of the day they're still amateurs. Amateurs who get lucky a lot, but when something goes wrong it's a mess. :sideeye:
rizzo wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:03 pm (Also, can I just say how hilarious it is that Phil always has the give the bad news? Paired with a smiley emoji. It's starting to rub me the wrong way tbh.)
omg same. I get that they do that because historically the phandom takes things better if they come from Phil, but I think they should stop doing that. It's not 2012 anymore where Dan's hobby is pissing people off by being a dick which caused those overreactions from the phandom in the first place. At this point it just makes him seem detached from everything and it's not a good look.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Ablissa
pastel persona

Maybe I'm naive, but I want to trust that this was out of their hands and there was no other option. Surely to simply cancel the show on the 12th would have been worse, like this they are at least giving those people an option to go on the 13th if they want to. How big are those shows, how big is the venue? I know it's going to SUCK for those that lose their seat and get a worse one (which feels inevitable to me), but at least you can choose - go anyway or skip it and get a refund.

I totally agree with everybody about the lack of communication though. I want to give them the benefit of doubt and believe that they must have just found out about this and are communicating it asap, but a simple tweet will not suffice. They should release a 'statement' of sorts, be it a video, ls or just a post on their tumblr or something. And DEFINITELY send an email to everyone. Not all their fans read each and every tweet! :( Gosh I'm stressed out just thinking of people that may miss the announcement and show up on the 12th...

I hate this type of thing and I feel so bad for everyone affected by it. I still choose to believe that this was the best out of all the options available to them, and I'm 99% sure it had nothing to do with the amount of seats sold to the show on 12th - they're just not like that.
RiriPandaHeart2
phabergé

Not holding up hope that the venue will be disseminating info as apparently there was an issue with a kpop concert held there last week, which apparently had an earlier sched that was cancelled, and a lot of people weren’t notified of said cancellation. 😒 So I hope Dip & Pip themselves would make a video about it, or talk about it more.

It also doesn’t help that the info dropped
at 11 pm here, Saturday. The D&P fan site here will try to contact the venue tomorrow, but I don’t think anyone will answer as there are usually no personnel in offices during Sundays here.😔

People are also having a hard time imagining how they’re gonna merge the 2 shows as I’m pretty sure both shows sold at least 1/2 of the capacity (which is only 2,500). At the very least, the VIP sections of both sides days were completely sold out. Also, will the m&g be sped through more quickly since they have to meet 2x the amount of people? 👀

I really hope they clarify it sooner rather than later. 😔
P: What are you doing?

D: I'm feeding it to you.

P: Why is it so slow?
sonicgreen
woodland creature

fancybum wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:43 pm
sonicgreen wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:37 pm This sucks, it really does. And I'm sorry to any of our friends in Manilla that will have to suffer... We'll never really know why the communication is so few and far in between -it could easily be out of their hands- but that has been the running flaw of the tour :(
*the running flaw of Dan and Phil as online personalities :roll:
o shit, someone said it
Amiaw
interactive introvert

RiriPandaHeart2 wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:43 pm Not holding up hope that the venue will be disseminating info as apparently there was an issue with a kpop concert held there last week, which apparently had an earlier sched that was cancelled, and a lot of people weren’t notified of said cancellation. 😒 So I hope Dip & Pip themselves would make a video about it, or talk about it more.
This was the the first thing I thought of when I read Phil's tweet. Coming from the kpop world these kind of cancellations happen regularly where something will happen with the venue at the last minute and the performers will have to cancel.
There isn't really much clarification when that happens with those shows and a lot of those performers come from huge companies so I'm not holding out hope for clarification from dnp either.

I am always surprised that ATF doesn't take a more active approach in the management of their creators especially with things like this. People are going to be unhappy regardless but it would seem more professional having them tweet about tour related news. People would probably still expect dnp to say something but this really does make it seem like DnP are just 2 guys that sometimes perform on stage rather than professionals that have toured before.
yeetussy
glabella

Yeah these guys, without a PR or an official management acc, make it actually seem like they’re “two nerdy introverts just going up on stage XD” when they’re not. They’re professionals. They’re grown men. And this whole tweet-announcement thing puts the blame more on Phil them than what’s just legitimately out of their hands. I highly doubt the Manila thing was something they’ve known abt for a while and they’re just telling us bc they have bad communication.

Also on their terrible communication, why the hell aren’t they balancing these bad news posts across them? Phil can’t always be playing damage control. Dan being distant so he doesn’t get hate/ a phantom freak out is in fact getting him hate. They’re business partners, it’s unprofessional and kinda unfair that it has to be a one-party thing. Dan didn’t even rt the Manila thing.

Also I can assure you just a twitter post is not gonna get to everyone. I just don’t understand how they wouldn’t put it on every platform imaginable since that’s a pretty crucial and scary thing for a lot of the Manila goers. My heart goes out to y’all, truly. This must be so hard to deal with and I hope everyone gets the info before the shows. I’ve got that anxiety.

TLDR: Deppy pls just get a PR team or smth
knq
lava lamp

yeetussy wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:02 pm Yeah these guys, without a PR or an official management acc, make it actually seem like they’re “two nerdy introverts just going up on stage XD” when they’re not. They’re professionals. They’re grown men. And this whole tweet-announcement thing puts the blame more on Phil them than what’s just legitimately out of their hands. I highly doubt the Manila thing was something they’ve known abt for a while and they’re just telling us bc they have bad communication.

Also on their terrible communication, why the hell aren’t they balancing these bad news posts across them? Phil can’t always be playing damage control. Dan being distant so he doesn’t get hate/ a phantom freak out is in fact getting him hate. They’re business partners, it’s unprofessional and kinda unfair that it has to be a one-party thing. Dan didn’t even rt the Manila thing.

Also I can assure you just a twitter post is not gonna get to everyone. I just don’t understand how they wouldn’t put it on every platform imaginable since that’s a pretty crucial and scary thing for a lot of the Manila goers. My heart goes out to y’all, truly. This must be so hard to deal with and I hope everyone gets the info before the shows. I’ve got that anxiety.

That part made me giggle. But what are the bad news posts Phil has been making? I have a shit memory and nothing is coming to mind.

I doubt that Phil doing more PR stuff is due to Dan wanting to avoid hate on a personal level. They’re aware that their audience responds better to Phil. He is going to get a better response from how he delivers the same information, and that’s what they want.

Being a team doesn’t mean they both do the same tasks. But I’m going to judge Dan if he doesn’t retweet Phil when he wakes up. They or their management should really get the email addresses and contact info of everyone who had a ticket to the canceled show if the theater isn’t going to do it.

Phil posted at midnight and it’s only just 9am for them, so I’m hoping they’ll do a good job of spreading the message around and explaining what happened today.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

watsonian wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:33 pm That part made me giggle. But what are the bad news posts Phil has been making? I have a shit memory and nothing is coming to mind.
Phil has been the unofficial spokesman for most tour related announcements, not necessarily just bad news but he tweeted out about video recording and the crew after the first show (after the mess of anti-marianne tweets), he tweeted about montreal, he's been doing 98% of all of the rize promo, and now he's tweeted about Manila. When they ultimately cancel the TBC dates he will probably tweet about that too Phil has usually been the unofficial spokesperson for any spon on dnpgames as well. It very well could be that they mutually decided that people react to things from Phil more positively than they would from Dan but I've always wondered how they came to that decision since Phil admittedly hates confrontation.
knq
lava lamp

Amiaw wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:48 pm
watsonian wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:33 pm That part made me giggle. But what are the bad news posts Phil has been making? I have a shit memory and nothing is coming to mind.
Phil has been the unofficial spokesman for most tour related announcements, not necessarily just bad news but he tweeted out about video recording and the crew after the first show (after the mess of anti-marianne tweets), he tweeted about montreal, he's been doing 98% of all of the rize promo, and now he's tweeted about Manila. When they ultimately cancel the TBC dates he will probably tweet about that too Phil has usually been the unofficial spokesperson for any spon on dnpgames as well. It very well could be that they mutually decided that people react to things from Phil more positively than they would from Dan but I've always wondered how they came to that decision since Phil admittedly hates confrontation.
When you put it like that, I think it may be less about controlling the phandom reaction/fans reacting to Phil better, and more just that Phil is their spokesperson for promotional and administratove type things online whether they’re positive or negative. That’s online, in writing. In person and in liveshows, I think you do see more of Phil’s hesitation and Dan’s tendency to jump in, the angry dad(tm) and “can phil express an opinion” being some classic examples, but more recently Dan turning down the fan who asked to kiss Phil’s cheek and Phil having Dan explain something in a liveshow because he’s afraid to screw it up,

It makes sense to me if Phil is a person whose more comfortable making a statement he’s had time to think about and refine, while Dan gets less comfortable the more time he has to think about and critique himself but responds better on his feet.

Okay, and now I’ve just gotten a tweet notification about buttering toast from Phil and I can’t take myself seriously anymore. Stop tweeting about toast when I’m theorizing about all the thought you put into your communications, Phil!
hello9217
flower crown

watsonian wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:10 am
Amiaw wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:48 pm
When you put it like that, I think it may be less about controlling the phandom reaction/fans reacting to Phil better, and more just that Phil is their spokesperson for promotional and administratove type things online whether they’re positive or negative. That’s online, in writing. In person and in liveshows, I think you do see more of Phil’s hesitation and Dan’s tendency to jump in, the angry dad(tm) and “can phil express an opinion” being some classic examples, but more recently Dan turning down the fan who asked to kiss Phil’s cheek and Phil having Dan explain something in a liveshow because he’s afraid to screw it up,

It makes sense to me if Phil is a person whose more comfortable making a statement he’s had time to think about and refine, while Dan gets less comfortable the more time he has to think about and critique himself but responds better on his feet.

Okay, and now I’ve just gotten a tweet notification about buttering toast from Phil and I can’t take myself seriously anymore. Stop tweeting about toast when I’m theorizing about all the thought you put into your communications, Phil!
I think a large part of it is that that's not how dan wants to present himself, on twitter specifically. He deleted the one tweet where he announced they were going live on rize, I don't think he rts the ones that phil tweets out and lately he hasn't been rting the ones about dnpshop. I think dan has an image that he wants to be presented on every platform and on twitter he just comes on and makes a "relatable" tweet and that's it. It's always been how dan is but I think lately it's gotten a tad more "severe." Maybe because he feels like Phil can get the job done just fine. I mean they did manage to sell all those backpacks without dan every retweeting the tweet about them. But Phil has always been the business oriented one. It makes since because his dad owns a couple of businesses and probably taught him a thing or two.

I just find it interesting because at the end of the day it is both of their tour and it's not the greatest image to put onto dan that he's just the guy that shows up. I know that dan is greatly involved but it just doesn't seem that way when phil is always the one that is informing everyone about everything. Idk lately it's been getting on my nerves a bit. Also no offense to Phil, love that guy, but I think that dan could probably craft a more compassionate tweet and would more likely reply to people. Idk I just feel like sometimes phil's positive energy doesn't always align with the mood that needs to be set.
Grey
lady door

When I first started reading that tweet, I was expecting something like

“Hey Manila Peeps! The venue has asked us to remind everyone that to make entry go faster, it is helpful if you don’t bring any large bags. Can’t wait to see you there. 😊

You know, something not a big deal. NOT that a whole show was cancelled and everyone’s seats are going to be different than what they paid for and it’s on a whole different day. That’s a huge deal. His tone is way off. And now a tweet about buttered toast from phil and radio silence from dan instead of replying to anyone about Manila. What the heck are they thinking?!

I believe dan and phil probably did everything they could for this show, since they’ve said Manila was even the inspiration for the entire tour. I believe that this is the best option they could come up with. But good lord, could the communication be any worse??? (And no boys that’s not a challenge).
I'm having a stress.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Bad Phil.

Distraction tweets about food are unprofessional and your dead houseplants back in London would make a better PR person than you and Dan. :sideeye:
watsonian wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:33 pm
yeetussy wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:02 pm Yeah these guys, without a PR or an official management acc, make it actually seem like they’re “two nerdy introverts just going up on stage XD” when they’re not. They’re professionals. They’re grown men. And this whole tweet-announcement thing puts the blame more on Phil them than what’s just legitimately out of their hands. I highly doubt the Manila thing was something they’ve known abt for a while and they’re just telling us bc they have bad communication.

That part made me giggle. But what are the bad news posts Phil has been making? I have a shit memory and nothing is coming to mind.

I doubt that Phil doing more PR stuff is due to Dan wanting to avoid hate on a personal level. They’re aware that their audience responds better to Phil. He is going to get a better response from how he delivers the same information, and that’s what they want.

Being a team doesn’t mean they both do the same tasks. But I’m going to judge Dan if he doesn’t retweet Phil when he wakes up. They or their management should really get the email addresses and contact info of everyone who had a ticket to the canceled show if the theater isn’t going to do it.

Phil posted at midnight and it’s only just 9am for them, so I’m hoping they’ll do a good job of spreading the message around and explaining what happened today.
The history behind this, is that in 2012 Dan had a ton of messy interactions with the phandom. Dan and that damn customer service blog of his, new fans wanting to know everything and knowing no boundaries, etc. There was tension. Meanwhile, when Phil called the phandom the fuck out on Tumblr for sharing photos from his personal Facebook, people fell to their knees to ask our capitalist overlord for forgiveness. It kinda established that the phandom just took more shit from Phil than Dan. It's weird, I know. People just really appreciated Phil not making comments that compared Phan shipping with his grandmother's vagina.

Anyway, two examples of him bringing 'bad' news that come to mind are him telling people to stop waiting for them at the BBC building after radio show, and him telling people before TATINOF started that taking pictures and video was strictly forbidden. With the last on of course came the infamous NO SPOILERS rule. By then Phil's spell on the phandom has lost it's power a bit though, because people mocked that no spoilers shit mercilessly.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
glitterintheair
phillluminati

hello9217 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:35 am I just find it interesting because at the end of the day it is both of their tour and it's not the greatest image to put onto dan that he's just the guy that shows up. I know that dan is greatly involved but it just doesn't seem that way when phil is always the one that is informing everyone about everything. Idk lately it's been getting on my nerves a bit. Also no offense to Phil, love that guy, but I think that dan could probably craft a more compassionate tweet and would more likely reply to people. Idk I just feel like sometimes phil's positive energy doesn't always align with the mood that needs to be set.
Agreed. I love Phil but he's not the best at dealing with certain stuff. Sometimes a tweet with an emoji is not enough to calm people down when they're upset and looking for answers, and sometimes coming up with an unrelated tweet hours later will only make things worse (and that's such a Phil thing to do and I wish he would realize that he needs to freaking stop). I definitely feel like Dan would be better at that, but I guess we will never know AMIRITE
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
Ablissa
pastel persona

Phil kinda addressed it, at least.
I'm waiting for a tweet from Dan. Come on boys. If your management doesn't handle this then at least you should.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I really hope that they make sure that that info gets spread outside of Twitter and the tour website as well...
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
starwatersong
phabergé

When my roommate’s (unrelated) concert got cancelled earlier this year, there was a Facebook and a tweet from the band, an email from the venue, and a Facebook notification. The night of, there was a second email and Facebook notification.

I’m hoping the Manila people get the email from the venue, at least.