Dan & Phil Part 76: i can't i don't have legs

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

fieldoflovers wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:24 pm I don't know if you all saw but Natalie Tran replied to Dan's recent Woolworth's tweet and I'm fangirling for him!

also dan thank you for giving the people exactly what they want which is pictures of him admiring the view *ahem*
posterity i wish deppy would interact with her irl while they're in australia but they seem too busy with their little honeymoon :xoxo:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

I do wish he'd responded to Natalie...

Speaking of twitter activity, though - a couple recent likes from Dan:
And they both liked David Farrier tweets so I take it they did truly enjoy Dark Tourist.
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:12 am I do wish he'd responded to Natalie...

And they both liked David Farrier tweets so I take it they did truly enjoy Dark Tourist.
oh wow, trixie mattel! my life extends by 3 hours every time dan interacts with drag queen's instagrams and tweets. wish he'd talk more about drag race though and give his opinions, i wonder if he's caught up with all of the seasons + all stars...
i have a lot of opinions on all stars 3 and who won but this is not the correct place or time
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
fieldoflovers
living flop

ratlad wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:58 am
alittledizzy wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:12 am I do wish he'd responded to Natalie...

oh wow, trixie mattel! my life extends by 3 hours every time dan interacts with drag queen's instagrams and tweets. wish he'd talk more about drag race though and give his opinions, i wonder if he's caught up with all of the seasons + all stars...
i have a lot of opinions on all stars 3 and who won but this is not the correct place or time
In relation to this, has Dan ever mentioned when Anthony was on the show? I didn't watch that season but that's exciting right?
scientia
phabergé

ratlad wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:58 am

I'm going to see the Werq the World show in my hometown in a couple of weeks and I can't wait! I'm not even caught up on season 10 but it will be a blast!
knq
lava lamp

Has Dan met or spent any time with Natalie Tran? I'm curious because I'm still somewhere in 2013 with the liveshows and I think Dan's met pretty much all the YouTubers he fangirls except Natalie, who he doesn't want to meet because she wouldn't like him apparently.
mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

watsonian wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:02 am Has Dan met or spent any time with Natalie Tran? I'm curious because I'm still somewhere in 2013 with the liveshows and I think Dan's met pretty much all the YouTubers he fangirls except Natalie, who he doesn't want to meet because she wouldn't like him apparently.
knq
lava lamp

Susannah wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:47 am
watsonian wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:02 am Has Dan met or spent any time with Natalie Tran? I'm curious because I'm still somewhere in 2013 with the liveshows and I think Dan's met pretty much all the YouTubers he fangirls except Natalie, who he doesn't want to meet because she wouldn't like him apparently.
Aww <3 I love me a fluffy not-actually-an-ending-because-people-aren't-stories
opendoor
rainbow nerd

Aww that picture makes me happy.

Dan is blessed he got a reply from Nat. If they collabed it would be the best thing in the known Universe.

But Nat's the only youtuber who uploads less than Dan, so it's not likely. I miss her.
I miss Dan Howell's stupid face.
Ablissa
pastel persona

Dan's little laugh at the end of this instastory is cute, his voice sounds so soft. It reminds me of their Blindfolded Cat Face Game video (one of my favorites)
Edit: for some reason the tumblr post shows up as a picture and not a video, go here to watch it: https://dnpnews.tumblr.com/post/1777973 ... story-9618
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Phil's Friends shirt and Dan's cat shirt have the same cozy energy.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

Is everybody ok? The untold story of the fandom: for every nice picture they take of each other there's a mass grave of nameless, dead fans who stopped breathing ;)
They are really mastering the art of giving the people what they want via instagram (story). RIP twitter and facebook I guess, they're providing that sweet content on the media they want to grow.

Apart from that sorry excuse of an app that is Ryze. I guess a cash sponsorship works too ;) I watched their show yesterday, it had it's moments but I'm no fan of their tour liveshows they are so predictable and feel less personal. I was curious if they were going to offer more info on the Manila show. Alas not. It's nice they apologized, it would have been nicer and smart imo if they fleshed out their motivations a bit more but looks like they won't go into more specifics.
In conclusion of the cancelled show, from the incomplete info we have it does look like it was a mistake that made them cancel rather than a deliberate choice inspired by other motives (like enhancing the show's profit). The solutions they've come up with are very reasonable and I think it shows they were engaged and looked for the best fixes for a bad situation.
I feel sorry for the people who might end up missing the show or had to incur extra costs but I don't really put blame on Dan and Phil for a genuine honest mistake.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
liola
rankussy

Stakhanov wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:53 am Is everybody ok? The untold story of the fandom: for every nice picture they take of each other there's a mass grave of nameless, dead fans who stopped breathing ;)
They are really mastering the art of giving the people what they want via instagram (story). RIP twitter and facebook I guess, they're providing that sweet content on the media they want to grow.

Apart from that sorry excuse of an app that is Ryze. I guess a cash sponsorship works too ;) I watched their show yesterday, it had it's moments but I'm no fan of their tour liveshows they are so predictable and feel less personal. I was curious if they were going to offer more info on the Manila show. Alas not. It's nice they apologized, it would have been nicer and smart imo if they fleshed out their motivations a bit more but looks like they won't go into more specifics.
In conclusion of the cancelled show, from the incomplete info we have it does look like it was a mistake that made them cancel rather than a deliberate choice inspired by other motives (like enhancing the show's profit). The solutions they've come up with are very reasonable and I think it shows they were engaged and looked for the best fixes for a bad situation.
I feel sorry for the people who might end up missing the show or had to incur extra costs but I don't really put blame on Dan and Phil for a genuine honest mistake.
I'm surprised and interested in how the tour liveshows sound less personal to you, is it something in particular or is the addiction of fan interactions with the truth bombs? Cause to me these past shows have been the most real I've seen both of them in a while! Besides the fact that I like them interacting together, I always feel like younow liveshows, especially solo shows, had a script of what they were going to say like Dan music talks and fake-deep bits, Phil "what did I watch hey let's say hi to random peeps that are usually the same name"

Like we're getting actual talks about their kinda day to day lives and stories about tour that are obviously different bc they're in different places, and them being tired is more often than not showing them interacting with each other without really acknowledging the camera, which is why for me it's so obvious the switch in how they interact when fans are called.
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

liola wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:41 pmCause to me these past shows have been the most real I've seen both of them in a while! Besides the fact that I like them interacting together, I always feel like younow liveshows, especially solo shows, had a script of what they were going to say like Dan music talks and fake-deep bits, Phil "what did I watch hey let's say hi to random peeps that are usually the same name"

Like we're getting actual talks about their kinda day to day lives and stories about tour that are obviously different bc they're in different places, and them being tired is more often than not showing them interacting with each other without really acknowledging the camera, which is why for me it's so obvious the switch in how they interact when fans are called.
Definitely second all of that. The Rize shows are way more personal to me than their younow shows were, just by virtue of how they're interacting with each other (a conversation you're seeing between two people always feels more personal than a monologue being delivered to a crowd of thousands) and the fact that the liveshows are almost exclusively stories about their lives. The absence of every liveshow being 3/4 premium questions being answered is just delightful to me, the whole premium question business where fans could direct everything they talk about is what made younow feel less personal.

(Typing all this makes me sad again that we probably only have a few Rize liveshows left. I never thought I'd come to treasure them as much as I do.)
Ablissa
pastel persona

I definitely agree that the liveshows on Rize feel a lot more personal. I far prefer having 30-60 minutes of them flirting talking to each other than saying hi, happy birthday, shout out to your weirdly named group chat, etc on younow.

As for the future of Rize, I was under the impression they'd continue with the Rize liveshows even after the tour, have they said anything that goes against that theory? I mean, Rize would get a pretty bad deal if they sponsored the tour and only get like 3 months worth of liveshows.
I still don't like the app, but I hope they'll continue on Rize or at least with the more relaxed format (like Dan's iPhone liveshows prior to the tour). One thing that will change is that they'll be home, not as exhausted, and probably not doing liveshows together that often.
Stakhanov
haru pillow

liola wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:41 pm
I'm surprised and interested in how the tour liveshows sound less personal to you, is it something in particular or is the addiction of fan interactions with the truth bombs? Cause to me these past shows have been the most real I've seen both of them in a while! Besides the fact that I like them interacting together, I always feel like younow liveshows, especially solo shows, had a script of what they were going to say like Dan music talks and fake-deep bits, Phil "what did I watch hey let's say hi to random peeps that are usually the same name"

I'm happy you find them interesting, shows how perceptions can differ.
Idk. it's a mix of things, and we're talking shades of gray. I'm mostly comparing to Dan's solo liveshows which were my favorite content to getting to know his real personality just a bit a more. A bit, I agree that ofc he had his 'fixed' topics like music, and yes he didn't really show the back of his tongue either so when he was being 'deep' I always took it with a kilo of salt, but I don't think he was being completely disingenuous in what he said either and there were hints and bits in his waffles that did i think, in fact showed what he really thought about the situation. Phil's liveshows I didn't generally find as enticing precisely because I think he was more careful still in putting his opinion out there. Their younow shows were just broader and less scripted imo.
This is what comes to mind for a 'typical' Ryze show so far: tech issues, live drafts and prizes offered by the sponsor, some more promotion about the show and coming dates. Those are really impersonal topics to me, in the sense that they don't offer us much insight into what they think or feel about things. That's just one thing I miss. They barely ever express a view about anything, even a record or tv -show. It's a lot more 'slick' imo. They speak a bit about the last show/their day, just light and casual things that they know we're interested in, then there's some safe questions for truth bombs (animals! superpowers! plants!) and that's basically it. I can sense that they are doing their very best, even more than the solo liveshows, to just be professional entertainers and 'give the people what they want' : two british boys being cutesy together talking about some sweet nothings.
Now I do like my cute deppy content as much as the next person and the occasional anecdote is fun and again it's more about shades of gray compared to their original liveshows, but it's another step away from the content i'd really like to see. At a time where i feel like we're being starved for content (their whole tour...)
If they showed their honest and genuine selves, i'd expect more opinions that can't always match the popular ones and a less formatted show. I think it's obvious on Dan's body language that he is at times just presenting with a big smile, putting distance between the broadcast and his actual self. Phil, imo, always has more of a mask on. Just yesterday i watched back some of his oldest video's and it just reminds me of how much of an act he must be putting on. The real imo is much more sarcastic, isn't just about looking around in wonder and being amazed about dogs and trying to keep a clean language. He's got a much darker side, but he just doesn't show it, and I think the Ryze cast is just one of the most 'produced' forms of content they've done.
fancybum
senpai

I've only watched maybe 2.5 of the Rize liveshows so my opinion is mostly invalid, but I don't really like them and hope they go back to normal solo liveshows (if they're "going back" to anything after tour). People seem to not like Dan's solo ones more because he's not always in a great mood, but watching them be 100% On and in great moods every single time feels meh. Which is a weird thing to say for multiple reasons, one being the 'wow can't you just accept people being happy' thing (answer: hm no) and another reason being that D&P never really try not to show themselves being happy, so it's not like anything wildly different is happening. But being on tour, they're not really allowed to not be in a Great Mood. If there's any hint of them being off, someone will feel bad that it was their show that did it (or that the bad mood could carry to their next show, quick everyone we need to make them feel better), so there's no other option but for them to be 100% happy and excited about everything all the time. And maybe that is a genuine reaction to seeing the world and having a great time, but that's not all of it. And I'm missing out on hints of the rest of it. And if being able to see that meant dealing with Dan being 'fake deep' for 20 minutes on his own, ummm yes please? (Again, not that they're ever that much more intentionally open about negativity, but there was more possibility for it at least when they aren't as required to dial it up to 11 24/7).
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
Stakhanov
haru pillow

@fancybum
Agreed. It just makes me sad to see them 100% "on", "energized" and "happy" especially because I think their genuine way of acting is (most times) much more reserved and laid back, cracking jokes with one another. It reminds me of the attitude of TV presenters on MTV or 'youth' radio channels. Everything is always amazing, super and a cause of celebration.
That's cool, but only if it's genuine. If it's for show I find it off putting. Because to me, it signals distance.
To strangers, I'm always polite. To coworkers, i'm formal and professional.
It's only to people I feel more connected to and I consider to be friendly with that I would show some sadder feelings, some controversial opinions, some uncleaner jokes etc.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

The perspective on moods is interesting because I feel like we've gotten a lot more of them (Phil, especially) being real about just feeling bad sometimes on tour. I have viewed it as less of a pointed choice and more of an inevitability but there were definitely shows with noticeable low energy and during tour time they can't hide that by just not posting for a day. The span of shows before/during the Canada ones where Phil had to sit for parts of the show stand out to me. (That's not liveshow related, just me generalizing the whole mood comment to encompass all tour.)

Tbh if you like Dan solo content that much and have it on a pedestal I guess I can see why you'd like solo liveshows more. But I very much do not want to go back to AmazingPhil TM liveshows; the Phil we get on tour and on Rize is a fucking delight. I want snappy sassy Phil snarking at Dan and shushing him and fondly mocking him. Phil's not gonna do that to fans; fans on YouNow will get Happy Smiley Content Delivery Service. But with Dan, talking to Dan, we see real Phil.

Maybe this is just further examples that different people take different things to be 'real.' I do genuinely think that they're having a lot of fun on this tour, and I don't think that the younow stories are any more or less real than the ones they do on Rize - just more prompted by fans. I think what it'll always come down to for me is that I'd rather watch them interact with each other than interact with fans. (Which is also a nice thing about Rize, because the fan interaction segment is a small dedicated block I can nope out of. Can't exactly watch a liveshow without premium questions since they're dotted throughout.)
fancybum
senpai

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:44 pm The perspective on moods is interesting because I feel like we've gotten a lot more of them (Phil, especially) being real about just feeling bad sometimes on tour. I have viewed it as less of a pointed choice and more of an inevitability but there were definitely shows with noticeable low energy and during tour time they can't hide that by just not posting for a day. The span of shows before/during the Canada ones where Phil had to sit for parts of the show stand out to me. (That's not liveshow related, just me generalizing the whole mood comment to encompass all tour.)
Well then I guess that's really great for the people seeing every show. I guess 'D&P being human' just isn't something the rest of us can be in on.

And... why do I need to have something on a pedestal to simply like or prefer it?
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
sonicgreen
woodland creature

sorry, can’t tell if anyone posted this yet but damn I feel this. hope the week off gives them time to relax.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

fancybum wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:52 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:44 pm The perspective on moods is interesting because I feel like we've gotten a lot more of them (Phil, especially) being real about just feeling bad sometimes on tour. I have viewed it as less of a pointed choice and more of an inevitability but there were definitely shows with noticeable low energy and during tour time they can't hide that by just not posting for a day. The span of shows before/during the Canada ones where Phil had to sit for parts of the show stand out to me. (That's not liveshow related, just me generalizing the whole mood comment to encompass all tour.)
Well then I guess that's really great for the people seeing every show. I guess 'D&P being human' just isn't something the rest of us can be in on.

And... why do I need to have something on a pedestal to simply like or prefer it?
I don't think people need to be seeing every show to know what happened in the show, I - and everyone else - only knows about him sitting during it from fans talking about it afterward, and we get the general energy level from seeing the fan meet and greets. No one has seen every show, but the internet is great for information sharing.

Me saying pedestal was just emphasizing that people who prefer that content most have a point that I can see? Pedestal wasn't meant to be derogatory, just saying that's the type of content someone likes best. If you do like Dan solo liveshows best, I'm agreeing that the Dan in the Rize liveshows is removed from that. But I don't see the Rize liveshow content as them not being human. I see it as them making sure we're still tapped into their lives while they're traveling, and I really enjoy the insight and longer form explanations of things we see instagram story glimpses of. But if you don't like them, then I'm fairly sure the Rize joint shows won't continue when they're home (just a hunch that it's strictly tied to tour promotion) so you only have to endure a few more weeks of joint content and either things will go back to normal, or there won't be liveshows at all.
phanfckingtastic
living flop
Pronouns: he/him

Perception is so interesting in its diversity, especially related to understanding and reading other people.

I'm of the opinion that Dan is "on" as soon as anything that he remotely considers a witness or anyone that isn't in his intimate circle is around, so I'm always surprised when people say they think he's being his most authentic self in liveshows.
I don't see that at all. I think he has improved a LOT but I think he has at least 5 more years of therapy, maturity and self-analysis to allow himself to be actually relaxed and spontaneous in public.
In the meantime, what the audience sees in him imo is more projection than reality.

Phil's Amazingphil in liveshows, on the other hand, I think is just himself with some areas turned off, and a bit more smiley.
I'm also of the idea that people have taken Phil's "anxiety" a bit too far and a bit too literally. Being nervous about certain interactions or being a bit shy doesn't equal someone having a social anxiety disorder.
If any one of the two has a harder time making authentic connections with people in small interactions for me is definitely Dan. He may be ready to fight for a cinema seat, but Phil is the one who may leave learning something about the strangers around them just from a casual chat.

Oh, what a treat is my addition to armchair psychology history. You're so very welcome. :D

-

I love them together in any setting and under any circumstance because above all I'm phan trash number 1. From a phone, in the jungle, from their kitchen, I don't care. I do miss Phil longer solo liveshows tho, because I find them completely delightful, but if he's bored for now I get it and they have too much stuff going on, planning tbc dates with all those cards up their sleeves, editing time + netflix or whatever release of ii, all the videos they will probably film in the last three months of the year, etc. Oh, and moving into the forever home they've been renovating, how could I forget. :garbage:

Still hoping for a gaming video today or tomorrow, pleeeeeease
eternal dan and phil mood -> :happytears:
Stakhanov
haru pillow

sonicgreen wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:55 pm sorry, can’t tell if anyone posted this yet but damn I feel this. hope the week off gives them time to relax.
I hope you're doing ok.
I took it as self reflection on his whole life rather than a specific period, though I don't doubt they both must feel exhausted and basically would like to go home. It's been over 6 months. The most intense part of the tour should be over by now? They have more days in between the couple of shows left now. So I hope that helps them to weather the last leg of the tour.
LurkingTrash
woodland creature
Pronouns: She/Her

I know people already stopped talking about this but I'm surprised Dan didn't like or answer Nat's tweet, I'm thinking he missed it because I'm sure he would be excited about a notice from her :lol: