Dan & Phil Part 76: i can't i don't have legs

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
RiriPandaHeart2
phabergé

Already rewatching the video as soon as I finished it. Loved the way they look (great lighting!), especially Phil. My heart just went full :love1: . Also, them talking about a free super EXPENSIVE gift they receive is pretty rare. I guess they usually don't like talking about it cause it's not really a spon, so they're not obligated to recommend it, and maybe they're afraid that this will lower their "relatability"? As much as I enjoy EvilScientist!Dil for the chaos that it brings, I now fear for the end of the series. :? I'd actually want a Dalien episode. I want to see them expand his storyline and let him have more interactions with people outside the Howlters, Pancakes, and the occasional nanny. It'll be interesting, and if they want bants, they could do like a big reveal of the fact that he's an alien, once he's already close to someone else. I always love when we get to know more about their lives pre-Youtube, so Phil's throwback to his penpal and that school subject, I found so endearing (my Phillie is showing... sorry. :philtrash: ). Also, lmao at Dan bringing the wrong Pancake. I didn't realize it til Phil pointed it out. :rofl: But I actually have a soft spot for Eliza (she really doesn't deserve everything she's been through at the hands of Deppy), so I really hope they bring her back. :please:

Anyway, it was a good thing to wake up to. :love1: Phil was so gorgeous that I keep having flashbacks to my first reaction upon seeing him and almost swooning. :love1:
Last edited by RiriPandaHeart2 on Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
P: What are you doing?

D: I'm feeding it to you.

P: Why is it so slow?
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

itasca00 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:51 pm
  • [9:56] What is happening here?
    Dan: He’s literally going down the Doctor Who method of sticking your screwdriver in the screen and then “bloopity bloop” it did the thing, and now it works.
    Phil: I mean, it worked for Doctor Who.
    Dan: It did work for the Doctor.
    Phil: *brings his fist close to Dan’s face* “Bloopity bloop” Oh, and look. Now Dan is better.
    Dan and Phil: *stare at each other*
    Dan: *makes a (explosion?) noise*
I'm gonna pull this out because I really am curious if anyone has anything to add. My interpretation was that Phil was making a comment on Dan's mental health. He wishes he could wave a magic wand (or whatever the appropriate Doctor Who equivalent would be) and make Dan better. Did anyone have a different interpretation that I'm missing? Is there a Doctor Who reference in there somewhere (I've never seen the show)? Because, if not, I find this moment really, really sweet!
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

itasca00 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:02 am
    Dan: He’s literally going down the Doctor Who method of sticking your screwdriver in the screen and then “bloopity bloop” it did the thing, and now it works.
    Phil: *brings his fist close to Dan’s face* “Bloopity bloop” Oh, and look. Now Dan is better.
I'm gonna pull this out because I really am curious if anyone has anything to add. My interpretation was that Phil was making a comment on Dan's mental health. He wishes he could wave a magic wand (or whatever the appropriate Doctor Who equivalent would be) and make Dan better. Did anyone have a different interpretation that I'm missing? Is there a Doctor Who reference in there somewhere (I've never seen the show)? Because, if not, I find this moment really, really sweet!
It's definitely a Doctor Who reference - the Doctor has a "sonic screwdriver" that he just waves at things and kind of fixes them. But it's interesting to think of whether Phil might have had something specific he was trying to 'fix' in Dan when he made that joke. It could just be a throwaway remark to complete the reference, but if it wasn't I wouldn't be shocked? I definitely know that my close friends and I are very comfortable joking about each other's mental health and broken brains, etc, in a very inoffensive way.
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

i thought it was one of those "youre ugly/i hate you" jokes that they do cz phil specifically pointed it at dans face assuming hes jokingly telling dan he needs to fix his face???? but regardless whether its his face or his mental health, im sure its not in an insulting way like, its the same as us calling them "disgusting" when they do something cute. dang, their sense of humour is really assimilating within everyone

i could be wrong tho
"you are next to me in my life"
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

i loved the new sims video and it was a blessing. i dont usually like the sims videos lately but, this one was adorable. i cant believe the mistake they made at the end
:transheart:
ratlad
angel bean

alittledizzy wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:17 pm Swiping this from my favorite source of Dan and Phil introspection, @idk.
Damn this is so true. It's one of those things where it's like, read between the lines, but the print between those links is like neon lit bolded and underlined.
amazing. perfect. they are correct and it should be said more.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
knq
lava lamp

ame wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:16 am
i thought it was one of those "youre ugly/i hate you" jokes that they do cz phil specifically pointed it at dans face assuming hes jokingly telling dan he needs to fix his face???? but regardless whether its his face or his mental health, im sure its not in an insulting way like, its the same as us calling them "disgusting" when they do something cute. dang, their sense of humour is really assimilating within everyone

i could be wrong tho
I was curious about this too. I thought Phil was referring to making Dan's head better, as I think he pointed the screwdriver at Dan's temple, which could relate to mental health or how Dan thinks or the verbal dyslexia thing they both have or whatever makes Dan hum along with airplane engine noises :love1: (not that that had happened yet). Either way it seemed loving. Dan pretending to explode was him continuing his initial criticism of the Dr. Who method of sticking a screwdriver somewhere random and waving it around, as that's more likely to cause an explosion than to fix a problem.

Hotel update! I'm fairly confident they were filming from their Sydney hotel, Shangri-La Hotel Sydney.
www.shangri-la.com
Mostly because of the weird carpet (some light swirly patterns in this video, and a distinct leaf vine pattern in Phil's IG story telling us to go watch the new Bucket of Doom video.) Also there's just not as lot of hotels they could have stayed in where the two IG stories of the sunset and the fireworks viewing the harbor/Sydney Opera house could have been filmed from.

I haven't had time to look at photos of the Shangri-La Hotel Sydney suites yet to confirm though. My mom is visiting and she thinks it's strange to investigate hotels half way across the world because some British guys stayed there once. Pah! :D
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Thanks for the input! It's good to know I'm not completely off my rocker.

@alittledizzy I have friends who make jokes like that too, so it wouldn't surprise me either, especially since Dan's said he likes jokes that objectify depression. But, you're right, it could also have just been a throwaway statement.

@ame This makes sense too! And it sounds more in line with the kind of joke I would expect Phil to usually make. But I will note that Dil's screwdriver was fixing something internal (making the machine work), and Phil said that "Dan is better" rather than "Dan looks better." :shrug:

@knq I agree. No matter what, it seemed loving, and I love that. :love1:
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?
flurry
living flop

Hello everyone! I've dropped off this board and D&P for some time but after going to Interactive Introverts last night, I'm back here for good.

Can I ask, did they say when the filmed version would be released or do you sleuths know when it's likely to be released? (I wonder how long after TATINOF ended that the video was put out?) The show was great and I want to be able to see it again! Thanks!
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

flurry wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:12 am Hello everyone! I've dropped off this board and D&P for some time but after going to Interactive Introverts last night, I'm back here for good.

Can I ask, did they say when the filmed version would be released or do you sleuths know when it's likely to be released? (I wonder how long after TATINOF ended that the video was put out?) The show was great and I want to be able to see it again! Thanks!
American tatinof ran until the end of June 2016, and the film was released at the start of October that year. They haven't said when the ii film is coming out exactly, but they said something to the effect of being in the editing room pretty much as soon as they get home, and that it would be out 'soon', so I don't think there's going to be a wait as long as there was for tatinof.
obvsly
#relatable

I haven’t watched the new video (so now trying to avoid spoilers lol) as I’m still in Singapore. But I’d like to share my meet & greet experience if you don’t mind. It’s definitely one of the best things that happened in my life so far. I already shared most of it in a series of tweets except for some details. Putting it in the spoiler tags not because it spoils anything but to save space. :)
I was one of the last people to meet them last night so by then things were a bit rushed. Staff were walking around making sure that everyone can only take one photo and they’d only sign one thing. We were told gifts must be put in a collection box before you even meet them.

I was quite a nervous wreck. I tried to hold it together while the queue progressed slowly. At last I reached Marianne and I asked the queen nicely if I could bring my gift with me as I’d like a chance to explain to them personally why I brought it, or it would make little sense. She said sure! Go ahead and don’t worry a thing. She’s the sweetest thing and already put me at ease.

Then it’s my turn. I walked in and Phil’s arms were already open wide. I stopped before reaching him and put my hands together in a “wai” — a Thai way of greeting — and said “Sawaddee ka!” They stopped in their tracks looking confused :D so I hurried to say “You didn’t come to Thailand so I decided to bring Thailand to you!”

I got my hugs and gave them 2 magnets of Thai Giants. They’re not big, just about 2-3 inches long each and very thin. I told them the giants are statues that guard the gate of the royal temple. They’re huge and they always stay in pairs, that’s why they remind me of them. I told them I want them to have these so now they can guard their fridge from Phil’s late night snack run! They laughed! Phil laughed first with a small “hey!” Dan’s laugh was so loud and open. Ugh I love them.

They asked if I got anything for them to sign. I said yes but it’s not for me and could I explain to them for a minute? They said of course and their whole expression change to very attentive.

I told them I originally bought tickets for me and my son. The trip to Singapore and the show was going to be a part of his birthday celebration but right then I had got a frantic call from a young Thai friend who had been close to tears. She didn’t get a vip ticket for herself as they had sold out so fast. My son said she could take his place even though it’s his birthday today (tomorrow when I talked to them.) So we bought a regular one for him instead. He wouldn’t let me give my place up for him either as he didn’t want me to miss the experience.

So I asked them to please, please also write “Happy Birthday Neill” on the card and Phil wrote it right away while Dan said “awwww you have such a great son!” They both signed the card.

We took our pictures together and at the end of it... I’ll just link to the tweet so you can see the video:
Dan’s little wave in the end...

I walked out of there feeling dazed, sending my son the picture and video right away. He’s so happy he couldn’t believe it himself. We were over the moon. It’s as perfect as can be.

Oh and the show was okay too. Lol 😆
@alittledizzy I got the audio for you and if you still want it I’ll try to send it tonight when I get back home. :)
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

obvsly wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:23 am I haven’t watched the new video (so now trying to avoid spoilers lol) as I’m still in Singapore. But I’d like to share my meet & greet experience if you don’t mind. It’s definitely one of the best things that happened in my life so far. I already shared most of it in a series of tweets except for some details. Putting it in the spoiler tags not because it spoils anything but to save space. :)
I was one of the last people to meet them last night so by then things were a bit rushed. Staff were walking around making sure that everyone can only take one photo and they’d only sign one thing. We were told gifts must be put in a collection box before you even meet them.

I was quite a nervous wreck. I tried to hold it together while the queue progressed slowly. At last I reached Marianne and I asked the queen nicely if I could bring my gift with me as I’d like a chance to explain to them personally why I brought it, or it would make little sense. She said sure! Go ahead and don’t worry a thing. She’s the sweetest thing and already put me at ease.

Then it’s my turn. I walked in and Phil’s arms were already open wide. I stopped before reaching him and put my hands together in a “wai” — a Thai way of greeting — and said “Sawaddee ka!” They stopped in their tracks looking confused :D so I hurried to say “You didn’t come to Thailand so I decided to bring Thailand to you!”

I got my hugs and gave them 2 magnets of Thai Giants. They’re not big, just about 2-3 inches long each and very thin. I told them the giants are statues that guard the gate of the royal temple. They’re huge and they always stay in pairs, that’s why they remind me of them. I told them I want them to have these so now they can guard their fridge from Phil’s late night snack run! They laughed! Phil laughed first with a small “hey!” Dan’s laugh was so loud and open. Ugh I love them.

They asked if I got anything for them to sign. I said yes but it’s not for me and could I explain to them for a minute? They said of course and their whole expression change to very attentive.

I told them I originally bought tickets for me and my son. The trip to Singapore and the show was going to be a part of his birthday celebration but right then I had got a frantic call from a young Thai friend who had been close to tears. She didn’t get a vip ticket for herself as they had sold out so fast. My son said she could take his place even though it’s his birthday today (tomorrow when I talked to them.) So we bought a regular one for him instead. He wouldn’t let me give my place up for him either as he didn’t want me to miss the experience.

So I asked them to please, please also write “Happy Birthday Neill” on the card and Phil wrote it right away while Dan said “awwww you have such a great son!” They both signed the card.

We took our pictures together and at the end of it... I’ll just link to the tweet so you can see the video:

I walked out of there feeling dazed, sending my son the picture and video right away. He’s so happy he couldn’t believe it himself. We were over the moon. It’s as perfect as can be.

@alittledizzy I got the audio for you and if you still want it I’ll try to send it tonight when I get back home. :)
It's Sunday morning so my brain doesn't quite work yet, but <3 <3 <3
black_rat
squish

Just wanted to add my thoughts to the boob-comment, I really liked that little moment where Dan had to decide how to respond to Phil, and instead of ridiculing him, or shaming him, he just said "I was gonna call you out, but, I mean, Jesus Christ." and even added to the joke.

I feel like an important part of Phil's "rebranding" and the jokes he allows himself to make is also that the interaction of how Dan's-on-camera-personallity reacts to his comments has to be more open/accepting. And this was a moment where Dan did exactly that.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

@obvsly that’s such a lovely meet and greet story. I love the late-night snack run part :thumb:
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I don't know how the Typhoon is going to affect the show in Hong Kong but I do hope that everyone in the area stays safe.
sweetlyphan
delia smith

I just saw that there is a massive typhoon hitting the Philippines and Hong Kong. As I’m typing this, Cornelia just tweeted that their flight to Hong Kong was cancelled. I hope everyone stays safe.
:prideheart2:
mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

obvsly wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:23 am I haven’t watched the new video (so now trying to avoid spoilers lol) as I’m still in Singapore. But I’d like to share my meet & greet experience if you don’t mind. It’s definitely one of the best things that happened in my life so far. I already shared most of it in a series of tweets except for some details. Putting it in the spoiler tags not because it spoils anything but to save space. :)

this story is so beautiful... i might cry... :sobs:
you have raised a wonderful, selfless son and i'm so happy i follow such nice people :platonic: <3
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

I’m feeling so soft today and this photo just makes me feel so squishy. How cute that Phil would go to the F1 when he isn’t a fan. Also I really love that outfit on Dan.
@obvsly that is such a cute story, your son is also so sweet for giving you his place.
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
Flomy
sofa crease

missemma wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:02 pm I’m feeling so soft today and this photo just makes me feel so squishy. How cute that Phil would go to the F1 when he isn’t a fan. Also I really love that outfit on Dan.
That photo! I don't have much more to say
:happytears:
liola
rankussy

Phil spending his day off with Dan at a F1 one, when he's said many times he doesn't care for it :(((( it makes me even softer than when they talk about how he stays in the lounge and watches it with Dan to keep him company. Fucking love :happytears:

Also that shirt on his is godtier bless the fan who got it for him. And Dan looks really cute with this shorts/long shirt combo, I love when he wears white <3
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
sonicgreen
woodland creature

@obvsly thats the sweetest thing I’ve read this week, sounds like you’re raising a very thoughtful son. Glad you had such a positive M&G experience!

The Formula One stuff is cool, I saw someone mention it was interesting that we’re not getting delayed IG stories for once, I’m assuming its so they can promote and thank mercedes lol.
also, I’m living for Dan and his short shorts- get those thighs out for the lads :stan:
ratlad
angel bean

"can you drive?"
"yes, but i don't have a chair."

it is very sweet that phil tagged along! we love a supportive bf who keeps his man company and partakes in his interests.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
liola
rankussy

I'm gonna quote my own tweet because I'm a puddle on the floor at Phil's face looking SO FOND
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
sonicgreen
woodland creature

@liola
:happytears: :happytears: :happytears:
glitterintheair
phillluminati

liola wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:31 pm I'm gonna quote my own tweet because I'm a puddle on the floor at Phil's face looking SO FOND
He looks so in love I am gonna punch something because I cannot handle this. I just. I. Cannot.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.