Dan & Phil Part 76: i can't i don't have legs

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
liola
rankussy
Pronouns: she/her

Yeah I feel like I might miss the instastories more than anything else if the stop them. Being able to follow them through their days have made me so invested in the small things that peek through, I really hope they keep doing them, even just a few times a week. Gimme that domestic content of fighting over dishes and folding clothes please
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
Ablissa
pastel persona

These spammers are the worst, the plague of every forum tbh. When I had my own forum we had so many of them we had to enable manually adding new users, because we had pages upon pages of spam (luckily I don't see this happening on IDB, I literally mean we had like 5 pages of spam every morning)
I reported two of the threads, two have already been reported.

To stay on topic, the instastories have indeed been a blessing (Phil's toilet one reminds me of their weird toilet in Japan and I want more Japhan. I love how my brain connects the dots and they always lead to just one thing). I would love it if they continue to make them at home, I mean, I would be happy with anything really. If not for the instastories, we would all be feeling the drought reaaally hard, I think.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

Ablissa wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:23 am These spammers are the worst, the plague of every forum tbh. When I had my own forum we had so many of them we had to enable manually adding new users, because we had pages upon pages of spam (luckily I don't see this happening on IDB, I literally mean we had like 5 pages of spam every morning)
Is it possible to add a bot protection, like captcha? Or even something like "Fill in the blank - Phil is ___ on fire".

On topic: I'm hoping for the gaming video soon because I feel like once they're done in India, we won't hear from them for quite some days.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

autumnhearth wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:09 am I mean I agree with the above, but the most recent content from Phil is toilet phones...
I mean idk about you, but I'm here for that phone toilet content.

(Okay the selfie and sky shots are better.)
autumnhearth wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:09 am Also @ the mods there are four threads of spam that were posted overnight.
LtrllySusan wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:13 pm
Ablissa wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:23 am These spammers are the worst, the plague of every forum tbh. When I had my own forum we had so many of them we had to enable manually adding new users, because we had pages upon pages of spam (luckily I don't see this happening on IDB, I literally mean we had like 5 pages of spam every morning)
Is it possible to add a bot protection, like captcha? Or even something like "Fill in the blank - Phil is ___ on fire".

On topic: I'm hoping for the gaming video soon because I feel like once they're done in India, we won't hear from them for quite some days.
If you see spam posts, the best thing to do is report them. That means a moderator will see the notification as soon as we sign on. We do have a spam control extension but it only works to a certain extent (before it overworks and legitimate users start to be banned for sharing similar IP addresses). We strive to clear out what slips through the cracks as soon as possible, but sometimes there's just no one around for a couple of hours. :/ Definitely sorry about that!
Ablissa
pastel persona

It was a few years ago, I don't think it was a possibility or we probably would have used it! I just remember that it was a pain to approve new people when they were eager to get posting right away.
@ mods, I hope this didn't sound like whining on my part, I know you are all working tirelessly to keep the forum running smoothly. <3 I also know it sucks when these bots keep signing up on the forum.

Dan's selfie is really cute, I love him in red. As always here is my petition for a deppy selfie :love2:
Source
Vsoftdnp
tol bean
Pronouns: she/her/they/them

I can't believe that Interactive Introverts is going to end after friday. It seems like it's just january. Are we all really dying so fast?
I'm getting tired of this war of hearts
This competition that has no end
Do me a favour and cut the ties with that side-eyed glare of yours
That cuts through minds and wills
sonicgreen
woodland creature

dan is too pretty, its unfair. and without some ironic caption?? we are truly blessed
hello9217
flower crown

Yeah I don't think Phil is going to be getting that hoodie once tour ends
autumnhearth
senpai

@alittledizzy well you are welcome to reblog the toilet phone post I had to make (jk please don’t) it’s probably the only reason I get annoyed. I definitely prefer these:
And the selfie. Very pretty indeed.

I really hope we get some food content from Mumbai and not just sweets. We’ve gotten plenty of pancakes (actually surprisingly less than I would have thought), pizza, ice cream, donuts and candy. I want more cultural cuisine. Give me curry or give me death! And architecture please.

@hello9217 I mean they could always *share* it. Or I guess Phil could order his own sharpie free one, but would they get them confused?
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

we had very good bf moments on this tour, some were pretty "demon" (cough~lester family double date getaway in Queensland~cough)
might binge watch the entire ig stories from start to finish on the IDB yt channel once tour is over! y'all's worked really gosh darn hard archiving and transcripting the shows and liveshows and ig's! thank you to everyone for doing the very best.
i would not be against dnp continuing to document their breakfast and movie dates back at home. i really wouldn't mind that. it would be the least inconvenient situation i could ever imagine. i could not possibly be less bothered by that idea.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
fieldoflovers
living flop

the dan selfie made me feel all kinds of things<3
It feels so weird that ii only has one more confirmed city left, this tour has gone by so fast and reflecting back, I'm really happy with the way they handled their own youtube channels and the gaming channel while on tour. I was someone who was really disappointed during tatinof/tabinof and even left the phandom because I had no reason to care about the tour, because they weren't coming to my city and all the video content we were getting at the time was #spon and I even unsubscribed for a while and this time, things just felt better.

I don't want to get sappy but I really appreciate the way they've handled insta stories and liveshows and I think they've made a good effort to keep the people who aren't going to be able to go to any ii shows still feel connected and part of the community. I also think they've looked happier during this tour, but maybe that's just my perception of it.

About the irrelevancy discussion, I don't think their changing audience is a bad thing at all. When I first started watching dnp in 2011-12, a lot of their (esp. dan's) audience made a lot of "edgy" and homophobic jokes, his liveshow chats weren't exactly the best places to be and now, either all those people have matured and given up on that humour or he has new people watching, people who will support him and (mostly) not be dicks. A smaller, more supportive audience might actually not just be better in terms of community building but also with the amount of pressure that dan puts on himself to crete something that a wide audience likes. I think sometimes the subscriber count can feel like the amount of people's expectations he has

I posted a longer thing about the Lindsay Ellis video on the Youtube Discussion thread but I'll just say I really end up once again want to know Phil's thoughts about the changing landscape of youtube, because he's gone ten years without having that "we need to talk" moment with his audience. He has a really interesting relationship with honesty on youtube as well, because in a way we know a lot about him, we know about his childhood and family and mind but there's so much that we don't know. He is simultaneously the most authentic and performative and its kind of brilliant.
jesp
why bother

<snip>
At the moment the bot detection that happens before an account registration is submitted is a captcha, and this has worked well so far but lately more spam accounts are slipping through the cracks. We're looking in to changing this to Q&A verification soon, and hope that this will lower the amount of spam accounts that get through.

Just so people know, after a registration form is submitted, the forum software performs a small number of checks including comparing some of the details against internet-wide databases containing usernames, emails, and IP addresses that have been reported by users/administrators of other sites, and can automatically ban the account if needed. The issue with this is that if the software is set to be strict with registration information, we could end up banning legitimate users (for example, automatically banning anyone registering with a .ru email address, even though these are often spam accounts, or banning everyone attempting to register from a specific country), and allowing the software to be lax with registrations could allow spam accounts to register faster than they can be banned, if you'll excuse the hyperbole.

We do have the option of being stricter with registrations in a number of ways, but this both discourages new users from joining and goes against the core idea of IDB - a place for Dan and Phil discussion without the over-zealous moderation found elsewhere - we would likely only go down this road if the spam situation became a serious detriment to the use and enjoyment of the forum.

In short, we're doing everything we can to keep on top of things, will continue to make changes as needed, and I am very sorry about the spam that does get through. Something that greatly helps, as alittledizzy said, is to report anything that looks to be spam (in the post content, on a profile/username, signature, private message, anywhere). We'd much rather ten reports about a post than none.
Ablissa
pastel persona

Do we think there's going to be a Rize tomorrow? Have they said anything about it? I miss them for some reason.
Phantasy
woodland creature

Another cute racing lads pic from the other day...🏎
hello9217
flower crown

Ablissa wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:40 pm Do we think there's going to be a Rize tomorrow? Have they said anything about it? I miss them for some reason.
They said that there will be one either Monday, which didn't happen, Thursday, which is today their time, or back when they are in London, which who know when that will be. I know they probably want to get back to London quickly but I do hope that spend more than two days in India, especially since Phil has never been there before.
ratlad
angel bean

india, eh? i'm holding back. i've spent about 10 minutes typing out and deleting jokes. i have some self control, i promise.
flurry
living flop

fieldoflovers wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:43 pm About the irrelevancy discussion, I don't think their changing audience is a bad thing at all. When I first started watching dnp in 2011-12, a lot of their (esp. dan's) audience made a lot of "edgy" and homophobic jokes, his liveshow chats weren't exactly the best places to be and now, either all those people have matured and given up on that humour or he has new people watching, people who will support him and (mostly) not be dicks. A smaller, more supportive audience might actually not just be better in terms of community building but also with the amount of pressure that dan puts on himself to crete something that a wide audience likes. I think sometimes the subscriber count can feel like the amount of people's expectations he has
I think the 2011 edgy humour thing is really a product of its time. People then spoke in a certain way and joked in a certain way and it became normalised. So people who watched dan might not totally share that humour but they watched and didn't think too much of it. I don't think a large proportion of those people actually left as viewers.

If anything I don't really think people unsubscribe from someone to watch someone else or some other band since you can subscribe to so many people and channels on YouTube. Probably what happens is just that because they are not very active they don't gain new followers and the casual ones don't watch their stuff anymore although they are still subscribed. And tours definitely are for people who are already "in" and know a lot about their videos. I feel like even a casual viewer won't be able to get many references during their banter. It has to be people who follow them on social media and watch all their videos and so on.
kavat
pastel persona

Case and point, they can do insta stories in their pyjamas with raspy morning voices talking about breakfast and I will absolutely love it :garbage:
ratlad
angel bean

dan's morning voice................
good................
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

oh my god dan's story sounds so cute i'm at uni i can't listen to it this is so frustrating

well edit bc my teacher is late so i hid and listened to it and.............. HOW CAN ONE HUMAN BEING BE SO CUTE?

also i'm jealous i want this breakfast, i will take a savoury breakfast over a sweet one ANY DAY !
savoury breakfast > sweet breakfast

sorry i'm super hungry
:gayaf:
glitterintheair
phillluminati

dan is out there, with his morning voice and the cat nightie, making sure i don't forget that there's still a part of me that's still attracted to men. disgraceful.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
LadyLackless
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: She/Her

Urgghhh mouth eating noises alert *shudder*

Totally agree on savoury > sweet breakfast tho
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

That breakfast looked good. So did he in the cat nightie and cat filter. So funny hearing his mmf mmf noises with his mouth full, fricking adorable. Love anything from Dan about food.
Ablissa
pastel persona

hello9217 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:26 am
Ablissa wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:40 pm Do we think there's going to be a Rize tomorrow? Have they said anything about it? I miss them for some reason.
They said that there will be one either Monday, which didn't happen, Thursday, which is today their time, or back when they are in London, which who know when that will be. I know they probably want to get back to London quickly but I do hope that spend more than two days in India, especially since Phil has never been there before.
Ooh thank you! I just checked and it's 3 pm for them right now, so maybe we will get one in the evening their time? Fingers crossed. I also hope they'll spend more time with India, it seems like a good idea to stay and explore a little.

The instastories from Dan are just <3 his sleepy voice makes me happy
Andy
squish

Just checked out the instastories, oh my god when's the last time Dan made me laugh so much?? Those eating noises :rofl:
Recurring sentiment: <3 for Dan