Dan & Phil Part 76: i can't i don't have legs

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
User avatar
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady
Posts: 1990
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:56 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Dan & Phil Part 76: i can't i don't have legs

Post by Catallena » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:07 pm

What a day. Who gave them the right to be this cute? How dare they?? Like the only thing I miss about Dan liveshows are occasional rambles about his love for F1. Even if we do not support Mercedes in this household (fight me), I'm thankful that they invited the boys. :love2:

:garbage:
Stan is only one letter away from Satan.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
(inventor of capita£ester, will kick people who use it to slander phil)



User avatar
itasca00
hobbit hair
Posts: 269
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:53 pm
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: USA

Re: Dan & Phil Part 76: i can't i don't have legs

Post by itasca00 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:32 pm

Ataraxia25 wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:01 pm

like us, dan was so in love with the way phil looks in this pic that he felt the need to display it on his insta. wow.
Yes, hi. I have nothing to add, except I love seeing Dan in those shorts and a real hat with some structure for once.
"I thought 'ass' is funny 'cause eating ass is a meme, and it's nice and nonexclusive. I don't want to exclude anybody! You know what I mean? Everybody has one. Um..." - Dan Howell, 3/6/2018 - So many questions...

User avatar
ratlad
angel bean
Posts: 1014
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:45 am
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Dan & Phil Part 76: i can't i don't have legs

Post by ratlad » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:57 pm

bluewho wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:50 pm
que logical explanation:
it looks like a reflex like when you're trying to catch up to someone to not lose them in public, that's just what it feels to me and it's adorable. he wants to be close by and safe.
can't wait for someone to burst my bubble though!!!!
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl

pcvaidya
dank meme
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:20 pm

Re: Dan & Phil Part 76: i can't i don't have legs

Post by pcvaidya » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:00 pm

I'm still in constant shock at how fucking handsome that damn quiff makes Phil. like why did he deprive us for so long?????

Secretstanner
sad dimple
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:42 am

Re: Dan & Phil Part 76: i can't i don't have legs

Post by Secretstanner » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:10 pm

Someone I’m subscribed to just uploaded a video about dan and Phil. I've watched her videos talking about zoella and other British youtubers. Anyone have an opinion on the videos? I thought she was very respectful and enjoyed her opinion as someone who was once a viewer https://youtu.be/vck74pgHFmI

User avatar
hello9217
blobfish
Posts: 664
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:11 pm
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Dan & Phil Part 76: i can't i don't have legs

Post by hello9217 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:20 pm

Ugh I've been at work all day and to come back to these stories was so fucking pleasant :kissyrat: (how I feel)!
Like that's dan's dream, as he said, and what kind of coincidence is that? Like to be in Singapore at the same time F1 is happening there. I'm glad dan had a good time and that phil was there, I'm sure, enjoying that dan was having a good time. Also I love how dan finds it embarrassing for Phil to ask someone if they play mario kart but it's not embarrassing for him to shout "water me daddy." These two I swear!
Anyway glad they seemed to have fun and I hope they make it to Hong Kong safely and that anyone in HK is also safe and sound :love1:

User avatar
eevee
emo goose
Posts: 1104
Joined: Mon May 23, 2016 6:26 pm
Pronouns: She/her
Location: USA

Re: Dan & Phil Part 76: i can't i don't have legs

Post by eevee » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:28 pm

I agree 100% that it was Phil saying "water me daddy" it just sounds way more like him to me!!

That is def dan's arm around phil but also dan would never do that in public????? where there are cameras??? what

also they are looking SCRUMPTIOUS and so happy i am dying please help...so happy for them :')

Love the quiff, too. :love2:
Image
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia

User avatar
ratlad
angel bean
Posts: 1014
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:45 am
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Dan & Phil Part 76: i can't i don't have legs

Post by ratlad » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:04 pm

Secretstanner wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:10 pm
Someone I’m subscribed to just uploaded a video about dan and Phil. I've watched her videos talking about zoella and other British youtubers. Anyone have an opinion on the videos? I thought she was very respectful and enjoyed her opinion as someone who was once a viewer https://youtu.be/vck74pgHFmI
i haven't watched the video, i believe that she is most likely respectful in though, but some people in the comments sound misinformed about the phandom and where we're at now. or maybe that's just me going based off of only being on the side of tumblr... i disagree when people say liking dan and phil is only a phase for when you're ages 13-15. and acting as if we're crazy and delusional for "shipping" them. nobody is actively looking to prove their relationship anymore and it isn't creepy or immature to conclude that they're in a long-term relationship.
it's fine if people don't like them anymore or their content. nobody is free from being criticized.
what isn't okay, in my opinion, is to assume they are faking everything in order to keep their fanbase growing by manipulating their younger female audience to purposely make them question if they're dating or not. it's gross to assume that young girls are naive and dumb and it kinda enforces the "everything you enjoy is bad" stereotype based on the majority demographic's age and gender. it's also disrespectful to think that dnp are the type of people to do that anyway. nobody would complain about the way they act on camera together if they were to be a straight couple.
again, this is just me going off of what i read in the comments, not what the person in the video is saying.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl

User avatar
bluewho
truth bomb
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:44 pm
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Dan & Phil Part 76: i can't i don't have legs

Post by bluewho » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:21 pm

Secretstanner wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:10 pm
Someone I’m subscribed to just uploaded a video about dan and Phil. I've watched her videos talking about zoella and other British youtubers. Anyone have an opinion on the videos? I thought she was very respectful and enjoyed her opinion as someone who was once a viewer https://youtu.be/vck74pgHFmI
I don't really agree, she seems to be saying that dan and phil are on the "road to irrelevancy" because they don't upload as frequently as other youtubers. That there are other youtubers out there who can replace dan and phil, and that people are 'unsubscribing' in massive numbers because they are watching dan and phil's competitors who upload more. For me I don't think that dan and phil's content is replaceable by Jake Paul uploads as she is saying. Firstly, imo the two types of content of totally different categories - one of dan and phil's videos is worth ten of Jake Paul's. I don't think that phandom members are leaving in swathes to watch Jake Paul, at least nobody I've heard of (kpop maybe lol). Anyway I get more laughs out of a 10 second Instagram story from dan and phil, I do get frustrated by the lack of uploads on dan's channel but he does upload on the gaming channel more frequently and I went to see them live - all in all I think they put out just about enough content for me to maintain interest. I don't think the picture she paints is quite fair, and I definitely don't think they will be irrelevant anytime soon. I'm not that clued into the stats side so I'm not sure of the accuracy of the figures she gives of them losing subscribers.

User avatar
hello9217
blobfish
Posts: 664
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:11 pm
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Dan & Phil Part 76: i can't i don't have legs

Post by hello9217 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:59 am

Secretstanner wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:10 pm
Someone I’m subscribed to just uploaded a video about dan and Phil. I've watched her videos talking about zoella and other British youtubers. Anyone have an opinion on the videos? I thought she was very respectful and enjoyed her opinion as someone who was once a viewer https://youtu.be/vck74pgHFmI
:shrug: Based on titles of her other videos she seems to just pick a once popular youtuber, go on their social blade, and call them irrelevant. I mean dnp are definitely past their prime, as in they're not getting new subscribers, but they are able to maintain a long term loyalty with the people that are here, which not everyone can do. They also have a large respect with many in the community, which again not everyone has.
They don't clickbait and they don't really collab anymore; they kind of just stick to their corner of the internet and continue to interact with those of us that are here. Recently dan said in a ls that they didn't want to do a hashtag for people to ask questions because he didn't want it to trend. Like it's kind of obvious that dnp are not trying to get new subscribers. You watch a dnpgames the majority of it is banter. They are not going to be playing whatever the newest game is, they play flash games. If you're new, you have no idea what dvp is because they don't even explain it anymore. They created these inside jokes that a new person probably won't get. So yeah inside the youtube community dnp are "irrelevant" I suppose but they have a loyal enough audience that it balances out, in my opinion.

User avatar
eevee
emo goose
Posts: 1104
Joined: Mon May 23, 2016 6:26 pm
Pronouns: She/her
Location: USA

Re: Dan & Phil Part 76: i can't i don't have legs

Post by eevee » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:33 am

bluewho wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:21 pm
I don't really agree, she seems to be saying that dan and phil are on the "road to irrelevancy" because they don't upload as frequently as other youtubers. That there are other youtubers out there who can replace dan and phil, and that people are 'unsubscribing' in massive numbers because they are watching dan and phil's competitors who upload more. For me I don't think that dan and phil's content is replaceable by Jake Paul uploads as she is saying. Firstly, imo the two types of content of totally different categories - one of dan and phil's videos is worth ten of Jake Paul's. I don't think that phandom members are leaving in swathes to watch Jake Paul, at least nobody I've heard of (kpop maybe lol). Anyway I get more laughs out of a 10 second Instagram story from dan and phil, I do get frustrated by the lack of uploads on dan's channel but he does upload on the gaming channel more frequently and I went to see them live - all in all I think they put out just about enough content for me to maintain interest. I don't think the picture she paints is quite fair, and I definitely don't think they will be irrelevant anytime soon. I'm not that clued into the stats side so I'm not sure of the accuracy of the figures she gives of them losing subscribers.
I think you're absoutely right, bluewho. I can see how an outsider would think that dan and phil are losing relevance, but honestly they've looked like that on the outside for years. They're very unique. They're really their own corner of Youtube, they don't fit into a bigger category of vloggers or anything. It's easy for someone to look at them once and say "I don't get it, they'll die out soon." But that person clearly doesn't understand how long they've been popular. They've added some new things to their content, like the gaming channel, book, and tours, but they haven't drastically changed their content because of the simple fact that they've just continued on being dan and phil. Dan has tried to rebrand to an extent, and Interactive Introverts has a very different aesthetic than TABINOF, but they aren't different people. And that's why we're all still here, and we all still love them.

I also completely agree that them and the new age youtubers like david dobrick and the paul brothers are completely differnet genres. They don't have the same viewers and target audiences. The kids watching the pauls are the kids going to a friends house and partying with their parents' liquor cabinet. They're sneaking out. They're enamored by rap music and drugs and being a rebel. Who's watching dan and phil? Kids who love anime, who love being online, who feel like outcasts but aren't attracted to being wreckless and getting into trouble. Kids who just want to be happy and feel something. These are two completely different audiences.

I think Dan and Phil are probably still getting some new fans, especially people who might find them, think they're cute, do some digging and find the 2009 stuff. I feel like once you find all that, you're a keeper. Because you get invested in dan and phil's lives and you want to see what happens. And you care about them. And that's why they haven't gotten irrelevant, and they won't any time soon.
Image
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia

User avatar
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady
Posts: 1990
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:56 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Dan & Phil Part 76: i can't i don't have legs

Post by Catallena » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:50 am

Ah the inevitable decline in relevancy of YouTubers. My fav subject. :ribena:

I can't be bothered to watch the video but Dan and Phil have definitely peaked years ago. Their numbers are down, and their lack of frequent uploads sure as hell isn't helping them right now. +They don't appeal as much to the casual viewer anymore because casuals are fickle bastards, new users on the platform are no longer the youngest millennials that they can (kinda) relate to but a generation that would apparently rather watch the garbage that Lele Pons puts out, and of course a certain kpop group is steadily chipping away at the phandom's formerly loyal subscribers (btw to people calling Phan their awkward teen cringe phase, I have really bad news for you about the target demographic of kpop lmao). Not everyone who gains other interests completely drops D&P of course, but they become less involved in the phandom which does affect D&P's relevancy,

But.

I wouldn't call them irrelevant yet! I'll save that for when they actually put all their time and effort into their channels as their main job yet only manage to pull 10k per video. That's when they'll be irrelevant. Or maybe retired lol. The truth is that right now I don't where they stand. We won't really know until tour has been over for a while, when they've hopefully rested a lot, have gained some new inspiration, and given themselves (and each other) a swift kick up the arse to start making videos again. Because I genuinely believe that it is't 'too late' yet. I'm actually excited to see how they will try and recover their YouTube channels from tour inactivity:

- Dan needs to start creating again, and I kinda hope he starts his fist video after the tour with an apology or something. Not for me, idgaf. But people who don't care for social media and tours, and just want videos from their fave YouTuber... Those who are still patiently waiting deserve a bit of acknowledgement from Dan imo. He disappeared for the better part of a year, without really any notice. He made some vague statements in liveshows (which only a relatively small amount of people watch) but that's it. As for what he will make? I have no idea. To me he looks happiest when he's being a dork doing some silly video with Phil, but that is apparently not what he wants for his own channel. Whatever he does, I hope that it makes him happy and that it'll keep those views from casuals coming as well. :thumb:
- I'm a bit disappointed that Phil pulled a Dan on us and stopped uploading this tour. It's so unlike him that I now have wild fantasies about him bringing new ideas for content to the channel and actually changing things up a bit. Evolving the channel to better match the satisfied and confident adult that he has become since he began making videos as a teen, but still comfortingly familiar and lighthearted. And I hope the phandom will come through for him when that happens, because Phil's main problem will remain the lack of appeal to casual viewers and that's just not gonna get any better. Just as long as he doesn't feel discouraged from his collabs with Dan getting better views, because I wanna see more of the newish Phil. :D
- The gaming channel needs to hop on bandwagons a bit more often. And a lot quicker. Because that's what brings in the views, and hopefully other non serious gamers who are just looking for a good time and a funny videos will stick around while the hardcore gamers do their thing elsewhere. I'm not under the impression that that will be a lot of people, but it should be enough to sustain itself for longer. Aside from that they NEED a good new series that keeps people coming back. I'm so disappointed that it never happened for tour. I also hope the gaming livesteams come back, especially the Phanprix Mario Kart ones. It's such a great way for them to connect with their audience.

But all of this is probably only relevant if they actually wanna pick up their careers again and really go for it. If they just kinda wanna ride out the wave and fizzle instead then they'll probably just continue on this road.

Hopefully slightly more active though, so that the fizzle doesn't come too fast because I ain't ready for that. :snow:

tl;dr They're not the hottest things on YouTube anymore and haven't been for a while, but if they play it smart they have a good amount of years left on the platform with a loyal fanbase but less influence.
Stan is only one letter away from Satan.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
(inventor of capita£ester, will kick people who use it to slander phil)

Amiaw
woodland creature
Posts: 565
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:55 am

Re: Dan & Phil Part 76: i can't i don't have legs

Post by Amiaw » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:07 am

I'm not going to comment on dnp's relevancy because I agree with everyone else but I did want to ask what everyone thinks about their main channel inactivity. Dan's channel has been dead for a while but for Phil it is so unusual for him to go silent and stop making content that it leads me to believe that either they are both overwhelmed with the tour or they may be waiting until they have some downtime because their next videos are going to be important. Dan set the tone with his 'Trying to live my truth video" and I think Phil has as well since his last 2 solo videos have been kind of a look back at who he used to be. I'm just curious as to how their solo channels are going to evolve. Are we going to get two separate videos telling us about their new direction or are we going to get a video on one of their channels giving the viewers an announcement as to how they plan to operate going forward?

User avatar
Afunnyworld
glabella
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:31 am
Location: USA

Re: Dan & Phil Part 76: i can't i don't have legs

Post by Afunnyworld » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:21 am

Amiaw wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:05 am
I don't know how the Typhoon is going to affect the show in Hong Kong but I do hope that everyone in the area stays safe.
Does anyone know if the typhoon is still going to be a problem? I saw that at one point many flights from Singapore to Honk Kong were cancelled/delayed, some videos from twitter seem to show that the typhoon has done some damage to some buildings and the streets...
I hope everything works out!

User avatar
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Posts: 4810
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:09 pm
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Dan & Phil Part 76: i can't i don't have legs

Post by alittledizzy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:49 am

Amiaw wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:07 am
I'm not going to comment on dnp's relevancy because I agree with everyone else but I did want to ask what everyone thinks about their main channel inactivity. Dan's channel has been dead for a while but for Phil it is so unusual for him to go silent and stop making content that it leads me to believe that either they are both overwhelmed with the tour or they may be waiting until they have some downtime because their next videos are going to be important. Dan set the tone with his 'Trying to live my truth video" and I think Phil has as well since his last 2 solo videos have been kind of a look back at who he used to be. I'm just curious as to how their solo channels are going to evolve. Are we going to get two separate videos telling us about their new direction or are we going to get a video on one of their channels giving the viewers an announcement as to how they plan to operate going forward?
*clears throat and adjusts tinhat*

They did say that 2018 was a big year for them personally and professionally...

*removes tinhat, brushes imaginary dust off of it, places it back on the shelf*

But probably they've just been too busy and things will resume as normal once they're home.

User avatar
hello9217
blobfish
Posts: 664
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:11 pm
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Dan & Phil Part 76: i can't i don't have legs

Post by hello9217 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:51 am

Afunnyworld wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:21 am
Amiaw wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:05 am
I don't know how the Typhoon is going to affect the show in Hong Kong but I do hope that everyone in the area stays safe.
Does anyone know if the typhoon is still going to be a problem? I saw that at one point many flights from Singapore to Honk Kong were cancelled/delayed, some videos from twitter seem to show that the typhoon has done some damage to some buildings and the streets...
I hope everything works out!
It looks like flights started taking off Monday morning so it seems that dnp will be able to travel down there. There is still a storm but not nearly as bad as it was earlier today.

RiriPandaHeart2
hobbit hair
Posts: 274
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:54 pm

Re: Dan & Phil Part 76: i can't i don't have legs

Post by RiriPandaHeart2 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:54 am

I do think they're past their prime in the sense that the Phandom activity is not at its peak anymore, but I won't say that they are irrelevant or will be soon. This was actually a topic that I talked about with the people I met at our II show, and the common consensus was that, if they came to Manila around 2015, they would have brought in a larger crowd. But I don't think they will be irrelevant as, as stated by the posts before me, most of the people that do get attracted to them and their content, stay in one form or another. Even if I drift in and out of the Phandom, I won't say I was totally out (did they lose me to Kpop when I was actually into Kpop first before them? :shrug: ). I still watched all their videos, caught up with their liveshows (Once again, @Catallena, thank you for uploading them. You are an :angel2:), followed their social media activities, and even engaged on some Twitter discussions about them. The things that I didn't do anymore when i was "out" were post here (though I did lurk often), track their tag on Tumblr, and obsessively following several Phandom tumblrs. I also met people who were heavily into the Phandom at one point of their lives, who are now more casual (they don't really engage in fandom activity anymore), but still watch Deppy's videos. So if a lot of "casuals" are like that, then they do have enough casuals + a solid fanbase that could keep them going for a longer time. Although they might not bring in droves of new followers, unlike their heyday, I do believe that their old fanbase, and those that could like their content, or find them because of certain interests (like me finding out about them because of shipping. :oops:), they could still keep on going for a longish time. Though Deppy, it wouldn't hurt to upload more often you know. :ribena:

Also, to our friends from Hong Kong, hope you'll be able to be safe from the storm. :platonic:
Image
P: What are you doing?

D: I'm feeding it to you.

P: Why is it so slow?

User avatar
yeetussy
glabella
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:27 pm
Location: usa

Re: Dan & Phil Part 76: i can't i don't have legs

Post by yeetussy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:15 am

It seems like gaming videos take less time and contemplation to make than main channel videos. So I personally don’t think anything big is happening any time soon (pessimism, thy name is yeetussy), just that they don’t have the time or energy to make a main channel video. I’d love to be proven wrong tho ig :shrug:

User avatar
sweetlyphan
drama llama
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 12:15 am
Pronouns: she/her
Location: USA

Re: Dan & Phil Part 76: i can't i don't have legs

Post by sweetlyphan » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:26 am

hello9217 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:51 am
Afunnyworld wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:21 am
Amiaw wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:05 am
I don't know how the Typhoon is going to affect the show in Hong Kong but I do hope that everyone in the area stays safe.
Does anyone know if the typhoon is still going to be a problem? I saw that at one point many flights from Singapore to Honk Kong were cancelled/delayed, some videos from twitter seem to show that the typhoon has done some damage to some buildings and the streets...
I hope everything works out!
It looks like flights started taking off Monday morning so it seems that dnp will be able to travel down there. There is still a storm but not nearly as bad as it was earlier today.
I had been thinking about this today too. I figured if they were going to reschedule they would have said something by now. Looking at Cornelia's tweet, it looks like she and Martyn are still planning on going to Hong Kong. No idea if Dan and Phil were able to leave Singapore yet.
:panheart: :demiheart:

User avatar
Ataraxia25
woodland creature
Posts: 551
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:31 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: france

Re: Dan & Phil Part 76: i can't i don't have legs

Post by Ataraxia25 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:31 am

hello9217 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:59 am
Secretstanner wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:10 pm
Someone I’m subscribed to just uploaded a video about dan and Phil. I've watched her videos talking about zoella and other British youtubers. Anyone have an opinion on the videos? I thought she was very respectful and enjoyed her opinion as someone who was once a viewer https://youtu.be/vck74pgHFmI
:shrug: Based on titles of her other videos she seems to just pick a once popular youtuber, go on their social blade, and call them irrelevant. I mean dnp are definitely past their prime, as in they're not getting new subscribers, but they are able to maintain a long term loyalty with the people that are here, which not everyone can do. They also have a large respect with many in the community, which again not everyone has.
They don't clickbait and they don't really collab anymore; they kind of just stick to their corner of the internet and continue to interact with those of us that are here. Recently dan said in a ls that they didn't want to do a hashtag for people to ask questions because he didn't want it to trend. Like it's kind of obvious that dnp are not trying to get new subscribers. You watch a dnpgames the majority of it is banter. They are not going to be playing whatever the newest game is, they play flash games. If you're new, you have no idea what dvp is because they don't even explain it anymore. They created these inside jokes that a new person probably won't get. So yeah inside the youtube community dnp are "irrelevant" I suppose but they have a loyal enough audience that it balances out, in my opinion.
+1 to all this!

also
i don't think something big is happening to their channels. as someone said, i think they're simply too tired to do videos.
phil uploaded three videos during the first part of tour but i suppose the exhausting rythm got the best of him and now he doesn't have the time / energy / desire to do more videos. i guess he's mainly focused on dealing with logistic issues and more generally on getting the tour DONE.

for dan, i don't know! is he planning something else or is he just unhappy making dinof videos because of the pressure he puts on himself to make a 'perfect' content?
<3 <3 <3

User avatar
kavat
stress mushroom
Posts: 631
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:36 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: sthlm

Re: Dan & Phil Part 76: i can't i don't have legs

Post by kavat » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:02 am

I agree with the thought that they're not really trying to grow their audience right now. If they wanted that they would do more collabs, upload more main channel videos, try the newest hot YouTube trend/game or whatever, but instead they are almost excluding new/occasional viewers by referencing injokes you would only know if you're been around for a while (the ditty/ussy thing, Dan vs Phil etc), uploading rarely (right now because of tour but still) and putting vlogworthy content on IG story instead.

Echo Gilette has talked about curating an audience a few times (in the ICG podcast with Hank Green and in a video with Ash Hardell) and I think it's a little bit what's happening here. She's talked about how she would say something slightly political or mentioning the lgbtq community to "weed out" the people she doesnt want to watch her content anyway. I think that Dan and Phil are in such a stable place now, professional and personal, that they can afford to have a dedicated but slightly smaller audience. I think they would rather have 1 million fans that cares about them and form a community than 10 million casual viewers. In fact, being on the trending page would provably be actively bad for them, imagine that comment section *shudders*.

Bottom line, I don't think they worry too much about losing subscribers, because they probably wasn't the right subscribers anyway. Or they found other interests which is totally okay and natural, especially in your teens.

That was way too long before my first coffee of the day :daddy:
Do you make mistakes or do you make a change?

User avatar
lesterchuu
philussy
Posts: 486
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:42 pm
Pronouns: he/she/they
Location: canada

Re: Dan & Phil Part 76: i can't i don't have legs

Post by lesterchuu » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:25 am

all these "relevancy" talk about their main channels is cool and all but honestly, id rather be willing to wait for dan and/or phil to take their time to create content that they really care about and that they know that we will like or enjoy than have then pump out soulless content just to rake in half-hearted viewers. i mean, i know dapg is kinda their money-maker in that sense but they do seem to genuinely enjoy making those videos and even the #spon ones they do are usually done in the most creative way they could think of. (phil is especially good at spicing things up after all, eh) bringing up that disgusting racist cow (pls dont make me type out his name) and comparing his videos to dnp just makes me laugh cz that kind of obnoxious and rude behavior is so distasteful - yea he is "relevant" from all the stupid things hed done but is it worth it? bottom line is: id choose quality over quantity

anyways;
alittledizzy wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:49 am
Amiaw wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:07 am
I'm not going to comment on dnp's relevancy because I agree with everyone else but I did want to ask what everyone thinks about their main channel inactivity. Dan's channel has been dead for a while but for Phil it is so unusual for him to go silent and stop making content that it leads me to believe that either they are both overwhelmed with the tour or they may be waiting until they have some downtime because their next videos are going to be important. Dan set the tone with his 'Trying to live my truth video" and I think Phil has as well since his last 2 solo videos have been kind of a look back at who he used to be. I'm just curious as to how their solo channels are going to evolve. Are we going to get two separate videos telling us about their new direction or are we going to get a video on one of their channels giving the viewers an announcement as to how they plan to operate going forward?
*clears throat and adjusts tinhat*

They did say that 2018 was a big year for them personally and professionally...

*removes tinhat, brushes imaginary dust off of it, places it back on the shelf*

But probably they've just been too busy and things will resume as normal once they're home.
:illuminati: :illuminati: :illuminati:
maybe they are going to finally make a video to introduce phil's wife janice, after years of hiding from the phandom and living in their basement? other than that, i honestly dont have a clue.................................yeah...............im stumped........(coughs)
:illuminati: :illuminati: :illuminati:
Image
"you are next to me in my life"

idk
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:39 pm

Re: Dan & Phil Part 76: i can't i don't have legs

Post by idk » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:47 am

Latching onto the post tour universe discussion bc it’s my favourite topic

They’ve had constant other non main channel projects since before they hit their peak in 2015:

Late 2014-mid 2015 they spent doing the radio show, starting the gaming channel, writing the book, and planning the first tour
In the latter half of 2015 they started the tour and released the book
2016 was Dan’s documentary, the worldwide tour, releasing tatinof, the bts doc, and dapgo. (2016 did see the end of the radio show.)
2017 was “life things” ie. moving etc. They cut their 2017 ‘life things/chilled year’ in half by deciding to tour again. So, mid 2017 to late 2017 they were planning and writing a tour again
2018 was full time tour planning and 5 months on tour then they’ll finish the year with editing and releasing the tour video

They’re entering 2019 with a completely clean slate and I do wonder what their main channels will become now they’re finishing all current grand Dan And Phil projects

With Dan I think you can definitely see where he intends on going with his channel. Or where he /could/ be going and imo is. Dan has often mentioned having many, many ideas for his main channel and I don’t think he’s lying when he says that.

In the long term I imagine the future of Dan’s main channel will be more personal videos about his thoughts/feelings/experiences/life in general with a new degree of openness. Do I think Dan intends on making a video about his sexuality/labels as a continuation of the Living My Truth idea? Yes I do. This is a video that Dan has been leading up to imo. I have no intention of ‘hyping’ up the idea/video, ‘pressuring’ him to do the video, prying the video out of him, nor do I /expect/ it of him in the sense of him ‘~owing’ it to his audience (ick - he doesn’t.) It just seems like a natural progression for him from what I can see/have inferred from his comments as of this year.

(Tangentially, I say 'sexuality/labels video’ and avoid the term ‘coming out’ video bc imo he’s not hiding anything. He has never been more openly non heterosexual. He’s out, he’s not straight, and he doesn’t need to explicitly state it to be considered so. Also, not calling it a ~phan~/relationship ~confirmation video. I don’t think that’s a video or topic that will ever be the subject of a video ever.)

Nevertheless, whether or not said labels video is one he uploads this year is largely debatable. Mostly because of timing imo. They’ll come back, have the post tour hiatus/pyjama week(s) and then go straight into the editing suite to edit the movie.

They’ve mentioned plans on doing spooky week which takes them to late October. The question is whether they’ll do Halloween baking. iirc last year they said they didn’t plan on doing Halloween baking until they got the idea to use the conjoint jumper. Would Dan come back from months and months of hiatus with a baking video? Maybe. Maybe not.

I do think that we’ll only get one ~proper~ dinof vid for the rest of this year most likely in November. Whether this is that sexuality/labels video is arguable. I could also see him making it his first video of the new year. Both options seem equally possible imo. Or it may be in a few videos time but I do believe it is coming.

The future of AmazingPhil is unclear to me. I think I am in the unpopular camp of thinking that at some point during this tour Phil made a deliberate choice not to upload as opposed to just being too busy to upload. There are a billion potential reasons for this. And, yeah, the fact that they’ve been on a 5 month tour definitely absolutely plays into it but I do think there are other reasons at play.

Phil’s gone under such a quiet but quite radical shift in the way he presents himself to the internet this year, a form of maturation if you will, and it hasn’t quite fully been embraced/realised on AmazingPhil yet. Though, he may not plan on reconciling these at all. Are we going to get more personal content from him? Is he content with the tags/quizzes/challenge videos like his drawing my subscribers, exposing instagrams, viewers picking outfits etc? There have been quite a few times in recent history Phil has mentioned not having any ideas for videos and then just filming the first thing that pops into his head. I wonder if he’s satisfied by the content he creates/has been creating recently. I wonder if that’s something he even attempts to get from making his videos.

His Why I Changed My Emo Hair video was the first sit down and talk to the camera about something video since his Why I can’t go back to the gym video of March 2017. Personally, I like his more vloggy story time vids to the quizzes/tags/challenges.

I imagine the rest of this year will be occupied with recovering from months of intense tour planning and the 5 months of actual touring, and then editing and releasing the movie so I don’t expect a complete return to their main channels just yet.

There’s also the matter of the TBC dates which, as they’ve said they have “plans” for them, does sound like they’re happening in some capacity. I imagine those will happen before the end of the year too.

2019 is a completely blank slate project wise for the first time since late 2014. Even on a smaller scale ie. them saying they won’t be doing another Dan and Phil calendar this year

I’m seeing 2019 as another “life things” year and I am incredibly excited to see how that unfolds

User avatar
knq
stress mushroom
Posts: 637
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:42 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: Dan & Phil Part 76: i can't i don't have legs

Post by knq » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:28 am

kavat wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:02 am
I agree with the thought that they're not really trying to grow their audience right now. If they wanted that they would do more collabs, upload more main channel videos, try the newest hot YouTube trend/game or whatever, but instead they are almost excluding new/occasional viewers by referencing injokes you would only know if you're been around for a while (the ditty/ussy thing, Dan vs Phil etc), uploading rarely (right now because of tour but still) and putting vlogworthy content on IG story instead.

Echo Gilette has talked about curating an audience a few times (in the ICG podcast with Hank Green and in a video with Ash Hardell) and I think it's a little bit what's happening here. She's talked about how she would say something slightly political or mentioning the lgbtq community to "weed out" the people she doesnt want to watch her content anyway. I think that Dan and Phil are in such a stable place now, professional and personal, that they can afford to have a dedicated but slightly smaller audience. I think they would rather have 1 million fans that cares about them and form a community than 10 million casual viewers. In fact, being on the trending page would provably be actively bad for them, imagine that comment section *shudders*.

Bottom line, I don't think they worry too much about losing subscribers, because they probably wasn't the right subscribers anyway. Or they found other interests which is totally okay and natural, especially in your teens.

That was way too long before my first coffee of the day :daddy:
That’s a problem some folks seem to run into when trying to discuss how successful Dan and Phil or their careers currently are. If you don’t consider what dan and Phil’s goals are, how can you possibly measure how far they’ve come in reaching those goals? It’s reasonable to assume one of their goals is to maintain a livable wage, but I don’t doubt they’d still have that with a small fraction of the audience they currently have. I don’t think it’s reasonable however to just assume their goal is to reach a wider audience or increase their popularity.

For Dan in particular, he’s said in quite a few liveshows that swearing in his videos keeps them off the trending page. He knows that and he doesn’t edit it out. His first reaction to being told a video is on the trending page is basically ‘what why that’s not supposed to happen’ and even his reaction to phil’s DNA test trending was more anxious than genuinely congratulatory. I remember he was impressed the people in Phil’s comment section weren’t as stupid as dan was apparently expecting them to be.

Dan and Phil are creative, business savvy people. They’ve been in their industry longer than most. It’s naive to think they don’t know what they could do to get more views just because they choose not to do those things. That actually seems to be one of the themes of II—the conflict between what the “audience” wants and what Dan and Phil want, and their finding a comfortable space in between.

User avatar
glitterintheair
morning quiff
Posts: 451
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:56 am
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: Dan & Phil Part 76: i can't i don't have legs

Post by glitterintheair » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:47 am

I agree with everyone saying that dnp don't really care about gaining new subs these days and it's particularly clear on the gaming channel - look how they stopped announcing the 'dan vs phil' thing, for example. But you know.. they can do that for the simple fact that they managed to create a community of devoted people around them and that's their strenght. We have people who record their liveshows and their ig stories for everyone who can't see them, accounts dedicated to their news and updates; for god's sake, we're talking about a fanbase who this year watched an empty balcony for 5 hours and made Phil trending at #1 on tumblr because he posted a pic wearing ripped jeans. So, as long as they're gonna be able to maintain a community who cares about them not only as content creators but also as individuals, they'll be fine.

Also, I swear to god, i wish people would stop with this 'shipping' business already. it's 2018 and I'm so done with it. The whole 'people watch them because of the ship' thing makes me want to curl up in a ball and roll down a hill while screaming at the top of my lungs. Like, if I enjoy watching Jenna and Julien or Rose and Rosie being cute then it's okay, but suddenly if I do the same thing with dnp I am a 'delusional shipper who's probably 14 years old'? Just because they're not 'out' to the world? Can people just stop?

I have no idea of what 2019 may bring, but I'm excited for it. Dan and Phil have been unpredictable the past two years or so, therefore my mind is full of '????' but I'm here for whatever they decide to do.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.

Post Reply