Dan & Phil Part 78: have the courage to exist.

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
kavat
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

Oh man. I'm in pieces. This was the loveliest thing to wake up to, ever (I actually woke up at 4am and it took all my willpower not to watch it then but I would never have been able to fall back to sleep again).

All of you have said so many smart and insightful things. I'm just over here so so happy that they've come so far that they feel comfortable uploading a 30+min video of them just being soft, in pyjamas, eating pizza and talk about life and feelings, and it was on Amazingphil. I'm in awe. I feel like I learned more about Phil as a person in this video than I have during the past 2,5 years of watching them. It becomes more and more clear how the AP persona was just a character, a polished version of Phil made for simple carefree videos about challenges and Weird Kid-moments, but ultimately just a mask. I would have loved for him to properly answer Dan's question about not having a personality and hear him talk more about that. He did brush on it in his quiff video, but I would have loved it in this casual setting.

Oh and Dan's little touches :love2: Usually we see Phil pat and poke Dan in gaming videos when he's excited or nervous, but this was so different. It was just calming, reassuring touches, like "I'm here, I'm with you, you're annoying to live with but I wouldn't change it for the world" kind of touches. I feel like we haven't seen that before, especially not from Dan.

I love these tall nerds so much. I'm so excited to see what's next for them both <3
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

This video has been a nice surprise. I think it stands out so much because we've become so used to seeing them in this narrowcasted, predictable role of two guys playing a game and make some gay bants, while the conversation went much broader here, and the setting was brilliant.

On the setting and concept of the video: i agree it looks and feels more 'natural' or 'genuine', but if you listen to what they say you realize it's everything but. They obviously thought about how things would look, and decided to sit down on the floor in comfortable clothing just to make it feel more personal. And it does work. That's the art of youtube.
I do think them eating sort of relaxes them, and helps them to have some casual conversation. People getting together for a meal and talking is something that sort of happens in almost every culture throughout human history and they both seem to have a rather intense relationship with food :D . It also gives them a perfect way to block off certain questions or transition to 'oh look this onion is so crispy' whenever a topic gets uncomfortable or one of them doesn't care to explain further. That's something I noticed, together with some cuts where I wonder what they left out.

I hope they make more video's like this. It's nice to be included in their 'sacred ritual' and this is the direction I hope their content evolves too: two friends having a interesting, more adult, broad and entertaining personal talk. That's my answer to Dan's dramatic cry 'Who are you? Who are we? What do you want?!'. 13/10 they should do it again :love1:
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
pararlama
phillion/danosaur <//3
Pronouns: they/them

I loved getting an insight into who they are as people, I feel like we haven't had that opportunity in years. So many amazing discussions. But I'm confused about one moment and don't really know how to interpret it:

@ around 18:00:

Phil: Maybe I could be the next person in the rink in the youtube boxing competitiong (laughs). Who wil I fight?
Dan: I'm so sad about culture. [You will fight] me. Here we go.
P: Dan versus Phil.
D: To the death.
P: Hey! You're doing good! You're eating and people are watching.
D: Don't talk about it. People don't like being confronted by things they don't like.
P: Yeah?
D: That's what's wrong about politics, if you say "you're doing something that's harmful, you need go change your behaviour" people just get their backs up
P: Yeah.
D: and they don't do it. People don't be like "You're doing something wrong" "Oh, thank you for pointing that out, I'm gonna learn from it and apologize and then I'm gonna tell other people about it and [unintelligible. why is this boy speaking so fast and how does Phil ever know what he says]". If you're gonna be like "You're doing something wrong", people are gonna be like "What did you say about me? I hate you"
P: Yeah. that's true.
D: Some food for thought.
P: Shouldn't have brought it up
what exactly is dan refering to when he talks about people not liking being confronted with things they don't like?

is he talking about us (the audience) not wanting to be reminded that we're just watching two people eat? so he's suggesting they should not explicitly tell the truth about the quality of their content because the audience will realize it's not worthy? and phil is agreeing?

or is he talking about how he as a person doesn't want to be reminded of the fact that he is fortunate enough to be able to earn a living from this kind of work? because he doesn't like it? and phil agrees/apologizes?

then dan moves on to asking "Are you proud? Of what we did?" which to me again alludes to feeling uncertain about whether their work is actually important.

so i think it's only fair that he comes up here and shares this with me

captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

I am..... incredibly late to the party but wow!!!!!! First of all @Elemancy, @idk and @obsessivelymoody, your posts were full of some beautiful analysis and I really enjoyed reading them. You all (as well as so many other people ofc) perfectly articulated what made this video really stand out, I'm in awe of your ability to summarise all of the jumbled thoughts in my head :')

I've been watching Dan and Phil now for almost six years - since December 2012. And I never ever ever dreamed that we'd get content as good as this. I am so happy for them, and for the fact that they've reached a point where they seemingly feel comfortable enough to upload a half hour video of them chatting relatively candidly about interesting topics, perfectly combining their natural humour as two people who have been impossibly close for the past nine years with a genuine, semi-serious discussion of the sorts of anxieties and pressures facing them as real adult human beings. I really appreciate both of them being so open about their mental health, and I loved hearing about little snippets of their everyday lives that we'd never heard before (i.e. the boxing??), and of course the level at which their lives are so totally intertwined at this point.

They really are so lovely. There's this real sweetness to their dynamic, even when they're teasing each other or scoffing at what the other person said or being ridiculous. Every time Dan gently placed his hand on Phil's shoulder or thigh, or casually reassured Phil that he could pull off a vest or that he looked good pouring soft drink into a wine glass, or delightfully exclaimed how very extremely difficult it is to live with Phil. And every time Phil cheerfully encouraged Dan, or made him laugh. They're so sweet to each other, and they're such a team, and they really do seem to have the best time together. They see each other every day!!!!! Wild.

Oddly enough one of my favourite moments was Phil admitting that he's gotten more sensitive as he's gotten older. That's really endearing to me, and I think it says a lot about the both of them that they get emotional about film/tv/books etc. They're just.. so lovely.

I'm so intrigued and excited for everything that's to come from them in the future. I'm rooting for them as always. Like Phil said, at the end of the day I really do just want them to do what makes them happy. I wish them the best of luck in finding out exactly what that is, and I can only hope that we continue to see this more relaxed and authentic, less 2d-persona-driven version of themselves in future videos.

Now all they have to do is not go to p*wd*p*e's potential bday party in the next few weeks and they'll stay in my good books lol
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Awww, that video was so perfect! It was funny and honest and genuine, and I loved every minute of it. <3 I wish I could just reach through the screen and give them both a big hug. Here are my highlights:
  • [5:05] Somehow, I'm always amused when they change words like this.
    linkies in the descrizzle
  • [6:26] I think this moment did a good job of setting the tone of the entire mukbang.
    D: *drops Coke bottle onto Phil*
    P: *cries out* That nearly hit me in the balls.
    D: Mmmm. Well, that’s making it kinky, and that’s what the people want.
    P: No. They don’t want that.
  • [7:19] Idk. This made them laugh, and it made me laugh too.
    P: Philly needs his nuggs.
  • [7:59] I'm all about this discussion on Dan's hips.
    D: I have very wide hips for a man, so this is quite comfortable for me.

D: Every day in assembly, I just used to sit like that for lolz.
    P: What a freak.
    D: And now I just have the most open hips you’ve ever seen. *wink*
    P: You could give birth to triplets at the same time.
    D: I could. Squeeze ‘em out.
  • [9:03] Dan and Phil describe the pizza they have ordered, which they believe they have perfected over the years. It's a large original crust pizza. Half is Texas Barbecue / Supreme (barbecue sauce base with chicken, bacon, grilled peppers, and onions), and half is The Sizzler (sun dried tomatoes and garlic base, pepperoni, jalapeños [but they're missing this time], onions, chili flakes, and ground beef [substituted for tandoori chicken]).
  • [10:20] Dan explains how Phil is a really bad influence on his life, and he puts his hand on Phil’s shoulder as he’s doing it. And I start to melt. 😅
  • [11:41] Dan on Phil going to an art fair without him:
    D: I was inside, like, playing Guild Wars, feelin’ sad, and Phil's like, "Ooh, I'm wearing a scarf!"
  • [11:58] Phil shares a story of how he took a selfie with someone at the art fair in front of a "wall of penises."
    Something like this, except covering a whole wall. And Phil somehow walked right in front of it while managing to not notice it at all. :lol:
  • [14:48] Dan and Phil talk about their thoughts on social interaction. Phil used to (and still does, to an extent) dread certain social interactions because he’s afraid he’s going to say something wrong or not be funny enough. Dan is confident talking to people, but he hates it.
  • [16:28] Dan starts crying because the pizza is so good. (Is he actually crying, though? I don’t see any of the "actual tears" Phil describes.)
  • [17:13] Apparently, Dan and Phil had a personal trainer prior to going on tour. Phil asks Dan if they are going to get a personal trainer again, and Dan says that he thinks he has to.
  • [18:38] I was actually shocked that they shared this story. There was a moment about a month before the tour started that Phil didn’t think the tour was going to happen. Dan interrupts asking if it was because he, Dan, was having a mental breakdown, and Phil confirms this. It sounds like a ton of things were left to the last minute, and there was an almost unbearably large amount of work that needed to be done to make sure the tour happened.
  • [19:40] Dan reiterates what he said in his last liveshow about how he enjoys being an entertainer but how he doesn’t enjoy being a full-time YouTuber.
  • [20:45] There's a lot here.
    P: So, you’re like a bear, and you’ll come out of the cave when you feel like it.
    D: Totally.
    P: *to the tune of “Mr. Brightside,” sort of...barely* Coming out of your cave and you’ll feel just fine and you’ll make a video.
  • [21:02] I'm so glad to hear Dan saying something directly that counters the people who criticize him for having to make every video a "masterpiece™."
    D: I’m not saying that what I make is great. It’s just that, for me to create, I have to be very intense about it.
  • [21:42] Dan and Phil talk about the diversity of their audience, especially when it comes to age. I'm very pleased that this is something they've taken to heart. I hope it will make them feel like they have more freedom with the kinds of content they can create.
    D: It really changed my perspective on who all of them are going on this tour.
    P: I know because, sometimes, people are like, "Oh, wow. Dan and Phil's..."
    D: That a lot of people stand out.
    P: Yeah, "Dan and Phil's audience are all this one kind of person."
    D: No.
    P: But they're not. They're such a diverse group.
    D: Firstly, y’all are so old.
    P: There's lots of--loads of people that've stuck with us for ten years.
    D: People are like, "I’m the oldest person here. I’m nineteen."
    P: No, you're not.
  • [22:10] Dan puts his hand on Phil’s shoulder as he’s talking about missing having a clear purpose every day while on tour. My melting intensifies.
  • [22:21] Dan's said in dozens of shows on tour that Phil is his soulmate, and now he throws it all away for Spider-Man?
    D: PS4 Spider-Man is my soulmate, and I would die for him.
  • [23:17] Dan puts his hand on Phil’s thigh as he talks about why it’s stressful to live with Phil because he’s really messy. I'm now just a puddle on the floor.
  • [23:28] A very strange video transition is used. Seriously, what was that?
  • [24:52] Phil has noticed that he’s become more sensitive as he’s gotten older. He cries more easily at different things. Dan is rubbing off on him. Dan says he’s gotten more anxious with age ([25:24]).
  • [25:32] Dan feels like he’s currently growing a lot as a person all the time right now. At some point, he thinks he’s going to come out of his cocoon and be like, “Ta da! *jazz hands*” Personally, I can't wait for the big reveal!
  • [26:20] Story of how Dan literally wedged himself between a wall and a photo booth to avoid interacting with a girl from his past. 🤦‍ Logistically, I'm somewhat curious about how this actually worked with his height. I can just imagine his whole head sticking out over the top of the photo booth and him being like, Well, fuck it. I'm already here. *narrows eyes* She can't see me if I don't move.
  • [27:55] Aww, Phil! This was such a sweet story.
    P: Sometimes when I’m sad and miss my old house, I go on Google Maps and just sit on the street and look at my house.

P: I did that yesterday, didn’t I?
    D: *nods*
    P: You were like, “Why are you staring at your old house?”
  • [28:27] Dan feeds Phil and has a sassy remark for us:
    D: That’s what they came for. *lifts foot into frame*
  • [28:32] Dan asks Phil if he ever feels like he doesn’t have a personality. Then he tries to take it back. He wonders if he’s just choosing to put on different faces for different people. I thought this was an interesting conversation.
  • [29:19] Throwback to March. Dan's still not over it.
    D: See, I was gonna say, “eating ass,” in my “Living My Truth” video, and then I thought it was too crude. I never thought that you’d be the first one to say it.
    P: I was saying it about the fleas actually biting our ass.
    D: Yeah, and you’re sitting on his face right now.
    P: I am. I'm gonna get up.
  • [29:32] Dan has a way with words.
    D: I think I could live without possessions, just in a hole.
    P: Would you not, like, miss being soft and warm on a sofa?
    D: A soft, warm hole.
    D&P: *laugh*
    D: F*ck. Absolute filth. I’m so sorry.
  • [30:11] Dan thinks Phil can pull off wearing a vest. There seems to be not a single doubt in his mind.
  • [32:41] Dan makes a very strained pun about banging his glass of milk on the table and calling Phil’s outfit “muck.” Then they both dab. The perfect way to finish off this video, I'd say.
  • Closing thought 1: The pacing of this video is unlike anything I can remember ever seeing from Dan or Phil. Even in liveshows where they might discuss similar topics, it’s always: go. Go! GO!!! Here, everything was so relaxed, and I thought it worked really well.
  • Closing thought 2: A lot of what was discussed in this video was also discussed in their liveshows last week. I wonder if they were already thinking about what they were going to discuss in the video (or maybe had already filmed it) or if some of these thoughts are just persistently at the forefront of their minds.
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

pararlama wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:26 am I loved getting an insight into who they are as people, I feel like we haven't had that opportunity in years. So many amazing discussions. But I'm confused about one moment and don't really know how to interpret it:

Phil: Maybe I could be the next person in the rink in the youtube boxing competitiong (laughs). Who wil I fight?
D: Don't talk about it. People don't like being confronted by things they don't like.
D: That's what's wrong about politics, if you say "you're doing something that's harmful, you need go change your behaviour" people just get their backs up
D: and they don't do it. People don't be like "You're doing something wrong" "Oh, thank you for pointing that out, I'm gonna learn from it and apologize and then I'm gonna tell other people about it and [unintelligible. why is this boy speaking so fast and how does Phil ever know what he says]". If you're gonna be like "You're doing something wrong", people are gonna be like "What did you say about me? I hate you"
what exactly is dan refering to when he talks about people not liking being confronted with things they don't like?

is he talking about us (the audience) not wanting to be reminded that we're just watching two people eat? so he's suggesting they should not explicitly tell the truth about the quality of their content because the audience will realize it's not worthy? and phil is agreeing?

or is he talking about how he as a person doesn't want to be reminded of the fact that he is fortunate enough to be able to earn a living from this kind of work? because he doesn't like it? and phil agrees/apologizes?

then dan moves on to asking "Are you proud? Of what we did?" which to me again alludes to feeling uncertain about whether their work is actually important.
I did not read that much into his response, I think it's more simple. Dan is just talking about how Phil should not remind him ('people') how he is doing good eating while people are watching. As Dan doesn't like eating in front of the camera, and Phil just reminded him about it (even though it's in the form of a compliment).
He then goes on to generalize his point by bringing up politics, but i think he's simply reacting to the food issue.
Side note I sorta disagree with him btw, I think he brings up a good point about how you shouldn't try to convince people by saying "you're doing it wrong", but in the arena of politics, conflict and arguments -and their eventual peaceful political resolution are important elements of the larger way our societies deal and decide on divisive issues).
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
itasca00
moon room

RiriPandaHeart2 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:22 am But, I just wanted to ask if I'm understanding this right. The difference between the 3 platforms, as I understood it, are the ff.: The Limited Edition would have the same content as the Normal DVD except that the physical add-ons are different. But the digital copy would contain both the content itself + the director's cut but no simulation game and physical add-ons.
My understanding is that the only difference between the VIP and regular DVD/Blu-ray is the packaging. The physical add-ons are determined by where you buy the DVD/Blu-ray. If you buy the VIP package from the dan and phil shop, you also get three photo cards and two pins. If you buy from Amazon, you get a poster, three photo cards, and a sew-on patch. If you buy from HMV, you can buy a package that comes with a sticker sheet. My understanding is that the digital copy will not have the simulation game and does not come with any physical add-ons.
RiriPandaHeart2 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:22 am I'm still mulling over what to buy among the 3 because they would entail different levels of effort and money to get. :? The Limited Edition isn't available in my country (so if I go with that option I'm contemplating having it shipped to an aunt in the US, but now I'm wondering if I order from the Worldwide shop, am I allowed to have it shipped to the US considering that they have a US store but it's now sold-out there?). If I go with the Normal DVD, I can buy it from Amazon, which is more convenient as it will ship to my country normally. And of course there's the digital option. Sorry for the bother. But I'm just hella confused and just wanted to confirm if I understood it correctly before deciding (shipping fees from the US and/or the UK are hella expensive so it's a bit hard to immediately let go of my money :oops:). Advanced thank you to anyone who'll answer me. :platonic: :ribena:
Something you'll have to be careful about is the DVD, which is region locked. I don't know which format (NTSC, PAL, SECAM, etc.) is used in your country, but different websites are selling the DVDs in different formats. If you're after the Blu-ray, the websites claim that the disk will work in all regions.

The worldwide dan and phil shop will not allow you to ship anything to the United States.
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
starwatersong
phabergé

Agreed 100% with what everyone above said about the video. Also, love the time stamps.

Also, good job, boys!! The DVD is third on the best selling DVD/movie list for Amazon in the UK and the number one best seller in the US and Canada!
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Can we all agree that this video was the real Giving the People What They Want? Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the one they made on Dan's channel but as much as I am grateful for the image of Dan's head between Phil's legs or them going back to Manchester and making me weep, at the end of the day all I care about is just them being happy and comfortable and as honest as they can be.

I remember the general discontent at the beginning of the year - dnp going radio silent, communication and content hardly present, just some on-brand tweets now and then. And I side-eyed them a lot when they promoted the tour by saying things like 'getting to know the real dan and phil' because could you imagine? Those two going from tweeting about houseplants to share some realness with their audience? Nah. And that's why I went to see II knowing that I would have never left the show knowing more about them as people. However, I started asking myself: 'how can they think to maintain a strong relationship with their core audience if they don't start open up a little bit? How much longer can that work before people just stop caring?'
And then this video happened and what can I say. lt affected me so much that I had trouble falling asleep last night.
Just seeing them being domestic and relaxed, talking about their very much shared life together, how everything they do, they do it together and how at ease they seem to be while saying all of that, without caring about what people might think upon hearing them say such things... well, it was a lot. Also, hearing the most difficult parts of their lives, Dan opening up more about his depression, Phil talking about his anxiety and how he's getting more sensitive, was an experience that I will never forget.

I hope that they realized that what we want it's what THEY want. I've seen nothing but support for all the most personal things they have shared with us - whether it was Dan's depression, Phil's hair change or this video - because most of the time what they want to do and are scared of doing is exactly what we would support them for.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
annoying dog
crusty sponge

kickthepj's Instagram story

:sleepypuppy:
kavat
pastel persona

Random thoughts watching the video for the third time today (shh don't tell my boss): I think I'm going to have to order pizza and 10 dips tonight. They both are a bad influence on me. I'm hoping that the penis selfie from the art fair will resurface, I would love to see that. Phil not getting Dan's T for Therapy joke is adorable. Phil talking about how his friends didn't think he would be the one to to all this stuff just shows that you never have to conform to what people think you are or should do, you are often capable to do so much more if you want to. And sometimes doing something in spite of your anxieties can help you and you can come out stronger on the other side.

Dan hiding behind a photobooth is so relateble. I recently went to a bar with an old colleague and our old boss was a couple of booths away. He went to say hello to the boss but I just Could Not. Which made the whole thing super awkward and I had to sit turned away from that direction the whole time we were there, and the boss's company (an other old colleague) totally saw me on the way to the toilets, and now she's blocked me on instragram lol. Awkward introverts unite :ribena:

PJ watching them while recovering from surgery is just sweet <3
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

The fact that this hit number one best seller on Amazon in under a day is proof that new media might be looked down on by it's traditional counterpart but the money spends all the same. I don't want to go too far professing my joy at the pockets of already-millionaires being further lined, but I'm also not gonna pretend I'm not really fucking proud of them for it. It's less needing to see them be richer and more appreciating them as people who are getting wide-scale visible success over something they worked hard on. And as shitty as it is, money and general sell-ability is the thing people won't (usually) argue as that metric of success.
Ataraxia25
flower crown

Stakhanov wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:05 am This video has been a nice surprise. I think it stands out so much because we've become so used to seeing them in this narrowcasted, predictable role of two guys playing a game and make some gay bants, while the conversation went much broader here, and the setting was brilliant.

On the setting and concept of the video: i agree it looks and feels more 'natural' or 'genuine', but if you listen to what they say you realize it's everything but. They obviously thought about how things would look, and decided to sit down on the floor in comfortable clothing just to make it feel more personal. And it does work. That's the art of youtube.
I do think them eating sort of relaxes them, and helps them to have some casual conversation. People getting together for a meal and talking is something that sort of happens in almost every culture throughout human history and they both seem to have a rather intense relationship with food :D . It also gives them a perfect way to block off certain questions or transition to 'oh look this onion is so crispy' whenever a topic gets uncomfortable or one of them doesn't care to explain further. That's something I noticed, together with some cuts where I wonder what they left out.

I hope they make more video's like this. It's nice to be included in their 'sacred ritual' and this is the direction I hope their content evolves too: two friends having a interesting, more adult, broad and entertaining personal talk. That's my answer to Dan's dramatic cry 'Who are you? Who are we? What do you want?!'. 13/10 they should do it again :love1:

I think that for every kind of content put out there, they will think about it, it's a natural reaction. Just like most people, i guess they don't like creating content without thinking about it first, i'd do the same. i don't think because they thought about where to sit and what to wear it makes the video less genuine/relaxed. I'm having a hard time understanting your point of view, to you, because it wasn't on the spur of the moment (as you said they thought about it and decided what to wear and where to sit) then the video is not honest?

also for this bit in particular :
Stakhanov wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:05 am It also gives them a perfect way to block off certain questions or transition to 'oh look this onion is so crispy' whenever a topic gets uncomfortable or one of them doesn't care to explain further. That's something I noticed, together with some cuts where I wonder what they left out.
I think you're right and we can even see it in the video that they indeed edited some stuff out (again, i think it's normal) but i don't think eating was a way to block off certains questions, not purposefully. And they shared deep and genuine things with us in this video, i can totally understand that they edited stuff out, it seems normal to me. we can't expect everything, but i think it was more of a natural instinct to change topics rather than something thought in advance, you know? if that's what you meant

on the whole i just think that it's not that they tried to make the video look like it was a relaxed and genuine one, i think they just tried to make themselves comfortable and relaxed (hence the pjs the food the casual setup)
i feel like it was a hard video for them in a way (being this open to your audience after years of trying to close off your private life) and they just tried to be as comfortable as they could.
:gayaf:
itasca00
moon room

Question for people who were raised in England (or maybe all of the UK): I'm a little bit confused by this discussion: [29:55]. Based on these sources [1, 2], it was my understanding that when English people say "vest," they are referring to the article of clothing pictured under the spoiler, which I would call a "tank top":
But, in the video, Phil is saying that his mom told him to wear a vest for warmth, which doesn't make sense for that article of clothing. Instead, it makes me think of the article of clothing that I would call a vest:
But that doesn't make sense based on my understanding of the way English people use the term "vest." Upon further investigation, it seems that English people might also use "vest" to refer to undershirts like the one below:
I've never heard of this before, but apparently people sometimes wear undershirts like that for warmth?
From these sources [1, 3]:
Vests are worn under a shirt to keep you warm in winter and stop your shirt getting sweat stained in summer
A vest is like a tank top but worn as underwear to keep you warm, children mainly wear these in winter, well my 8 year old sister does anyway!
I would say a vest is a top that is worn underneath your top to keep you warm, or a vest as in for the summer time is like a spaghetti strap top.
This makes what Phil's mom said make sense, but then why did Dan refer to Victorian times? And, if they were referring to the undershirt type of "vest," why were they talking about Phil getting his guns out, as that type of "vest" would be worn underneath another article of clothing? Am I missing something?
Ataraxia25
flower crown

@itasca00
i pictured this
because dan said something about victorians afterwards but it doesn't make sense, was what is on my pic supposed to keep you warm during the victorian era? so i'm glad you asked because i don't know either what a vest really is.
:gayaf:
annoying dog
crusty sponge

itasca00 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:09 pm
This makes what Phil's mom said make sense, but then why did Dan refer to Victorian times? And, if they were referring to the undershirt type of "vest," why were they talking about Phil getting his guns out, as that type of "vest" would be worn underneath another article of clothing? Am I missing something?
Perhaps she meant sweater vest? From my understanding a vest is pretty much anything without sleeves (undervests, sweater vests, even waistcoats...)
:sleepypuppy:
LadyLackless
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: She/Her

@itasca00 sorry none of your images worked for me :(

A vest is a sleeveless cotton/thermal tshirt that is worn underneath your clothes for warmth.
(@Ataraxia25 your pic I would call a waistcoat)
They are quite old fashioned concept, like usually only old men wear them, which is why Dan mentions Victorian times :D

Fun northernism, there is an old northern saying “ne’er cast a clout ‘til the month of May is out” (meaning: don’t go out without a vest on until the end of May) because it’s parky oop north :lol:
enjoy a sketch with Northern comedians taking the piss out of northerners
Last edited by lefthandedism on Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed youtube embed
bestfriendsclub
dank meme

Stakhanov wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:54 am
pararlama wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:26 am But I'm confused about one moment and don't really know how to interpret it:

The way I interpret it, Dan is sad about culture, referring to everything wrong with YouTube these days, the YouTube game, and Phil says "You're doing good, you're eating and people are watching" which might be like "You're a part of YouTube/culture right now" I can imagine Dan watching a terrible YouTube video with a clickbait title with millions of views and saying "I can't do this." So Phil is like, you can do it! We don't mind! We'll watch literally anything with you in it! And when Dan says don't talk about it, he's saying don't talk about the problem with YouTube, because there is something wrong with it, but you can't say that because people will get defensive instead of making a change. I think the message here is, don't criticize people doing the wrong thing, just do the right thing.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I noticed the vest thing too, Phil’s mum totally meant the undershirt variety to keep warm. Kids wear them too. The sleeveless type in the photo, the black fleece one, people tend to call that the French name gilet in the UK, but it can be another fabric too, they’re sometimes padded/puffa style.
det395
tol bean
Pronouns: she/her/hers

I feel like I'm still not able to form anything coherent over this damn video. I'm rewatching it now (and considering having pizza for breakfast.....) and I have some scattered thoughts.

First, overall, I've watched them since 2010ish and been really involved since 2012 and I swear this is the side of them I've really been waiting for, all that time it was a lot of uncertainty of where they were going and who they were and this video feels like a confirmation that they are the guys I like to look up to.

there were a few things that stood out to me (in no order):
- "your family's nice!" to Dan. yaas Phil squash the rumours about Dan's "evil" family and how Phil's informally banned from going over there
- "as i get older I'm more sensitive" first of all I feel like this job makes Phil want to appear very young still so the way he said this surprised me at first, and also it just really shows that he's grown a lot, probably from a lot of masculine expectations to be strong and stoic to crying over a harrowing series about misogyny
- hand on thigh and other touches -- so intentional?? and open?? u just know they have this hyperawareness on camera and i feel like it shows they're TRYING to let us in and that feels great
- "i'm so anxious" and "do you ever feel like you don't have a personality" - sometimes dan surprises me with how casually vulnerable he is. it seems that he really does see phil as a comforting vessel to talk to, as well, though i'm sure it goes a lot deeper in private. and phil is REALLY attentive and instantly caring and optimistic. another thing where it's like wow they're real people
- talk about who the audience was - i think this HAD to secretly be about (among other things) how queer their audience is, all the people with pride flags showing up with stories about coming out. i hope dnp feel very proud of how, despite their privacy, they've created a safe and open community in a lot of ways
- phil's very chatty when he's comfortable, very shy when not (thinking about old stereotypes of him) - what his friends said is what i've thought sometimes, like that's not someone you expect to be a celebrity and it's very refreshing bc he's a person who (despite being the most generic white male youtuber in some ways) is genuinely weird and awkward and not necessarily conventionally attractive (no personal attack he's very cute lmao i hope this makes sense)

we'll never have a look into who they are when it's just them, that's some kinda secret world that no one will ever see i'm sure, but i feel like this is a step up to how they'd act in front of a casual friend and the whole video was SO satisfying
opendoor
rainbow nerd

I liked this so much I've watched it twice in one day and I didn't get at all bored the second time. The touchiness from Dan was great, & we got so much info about their lives.

I really try not to get into introspective spirals because that way depression lies, but they managed to be introspective while overtired and produce something really comfortable and positive!

The Is Dan Vegan question is settled! And sharing a personal trainer and working out together two hours a day is so cute. And great. I thought they were looking in good shape earlier this year, especially Dan! Hopefully they pick it up again in maybe a less demanding way. Aside from making you feel good physically, exercise is invaluable for mental health. And no wonder Dan's been a bit low if he's not sleeping. Hopefully they get back to taking care of themselves soon.

I thought that at the end when Phil was like "Not that you're gonna die" was a weird thing to say, is it Phil-doesn't-talk-about-death striking again?

I don't have the mental energy to go indepth (going against the website's purpose) but obvi this vid was full of other fantastic moments, and I've really enjoyed the insightful posts you guys have been making. <3
I miss Dan Howell's stupid face.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

The jump cut at 23:28 when Dan is saying "you leave all the cupboard doors open, socks-" is long enough that when Dan says socks Phil has just finished eating a potato wedge and when it jumps to the next shot there is a new one in his hand that he's already taken a bite out of.

How much do I gotta pay to hear Dan's full explanation to the audience of exactly how messy Phil is?
Winston
flower crown

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:53 pm The jump cut at 23:28 when Dan is saying "you leave all the cupboard doors open, socks-" is long enough that when Dan says socks Phil has just finished eating a potato wedge and when it jumps to the next shot there is a new one in his hand that he's already taken a bite out of.

How much do I gotta pay to hear Dan's full explanation to the audience of exactly how messy Phil is?
Upwords of 6 figures probably. :lol:

I just wanted to say I loved this video. In general Phil is not my fave. And by that i mean AmazingPhil the charicature. In this video though, I feel like we saw a lot of Phil Lester, and that was amazing. I loved how he kept checking in with Dan.

I'm not going to go into detail because there have been so many posts already saying it all better than I could. IDk and Obviouslymoody are two posts I was nodding and smiling all the way through specifically. :ribena:
actions speak louder than words
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

I've been pondering the mukbang all day long and in particular, the bit where Phil briefly touches on how much they've learned about their audience on tour:
itasca00 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:49 am [*][21:42] Dan and Phil talk about the diversity of their audience, especially when it comes to age. I'm very pleased that this is something they've taken to heart. I hope it will make them feel like they have more freedom with the kinds of content they can create.
And I really wanted to touch on this briefly, because in thinking about it, I get the feeling that this goes beyond just generic demographics. I think it also applies to their acceptance and appreciation that their audience is largely queer. And I think it's almost more visible in Phil than it is Dan... because Dan's been more open in that capacity for much longer than Phil has.

I chatted briefly with @alittledizzy about the idea that meeting their audience helped them come to conclusion that it's okay to not have to be #1 on youtube, but better to just comfortably work to maintain and make-happy the audience you already have. But the more i think about it, the more I think it's also just helpful to have this audience that helps them grow and feel comfortable as individuals in the limelight?? Like Dan said, their audience is genuinely just... good people.

And these people that show up to the meet & greets... they show up with pride flags and stories about how Dan and Phil helped them be themselves. And like, that's not something D&P push. Being queer is not a topic in their videos or a focus for them at all, but it's an important aspect of a lot of the audience they've built and if what they care about now is just... appreciating that audience for what it is? I can see it making Phil feel more comfortable and confident noting the pizza guys looks like Efron.

What I think I'm trying to say here is that... All this time, they've been trying to give the people what they want, but are only now realizing that the people were giving them what they need.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

rizzo wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:33 pm I've been pondering the mukbang all day long and in particular, the bit where Phil briefly touches on how much they've learned about their audience on tour:
itasca00 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:49 am [*][21:42] Dan and Phil talk about the diversity of their audience, especially when it comes to age. I'm very pleased that this is something they've taken to heart. I hope it will make them feel like they have more freedom with the kinds of content they can create.
And I really wanted to touch on this briefly, because in thinking about it, I get the feeling that this goes beyond just generic demographics. I think it also applies to their acceptance and appreciation that their audience is largely queer. And I think it's almost more visible in Phil than it is Dan... because Dan's been more open in that capacity for much longer than Phil has.

I chatted briefly with @alittledizzy about the idea that meeting their audience helped them come to conclusion that it's okay to not have to be #1 on youtube, but better to just comfortably work to maintain and make-happy the audience you already have. But the more i think about it, the more I think it's also just helpful to have this audience that helps them grow and feel comfortable as individuals in the limelight?? Like Dan said, their audience is genuinely just... good people.

And these people that show up to the meet & greets... they show up with pride flags and stories about how Dan and Phil helped them be themselves. And like, that's not something D&P push. Being queer is not a topic in their videos or a focus for them at all, but it's an important aspect of a lot of the audience they've built and if what they care about now is just... appreciating that audience for what it is? I can see it making Phil feel more comfortable and confident noting the pizza guys looks like Efron.

What I think I'm trying to say here is that... All this time, they've been trying to give the people what they want, but are only now realizing that the people were giving them what they need.
Yesssssss to this. If before the tour Phil was nervous saying some things because he felt like he was talking alone in a room without the ability to see how people react, I think it makes sense that he held back a lot more. In fact, we know he used to hold back based on being afraid of what his audience would think - he makes a point of telling us he didn't change his hair for at least six months out of that same fear.

But now he's got a whole collection of recent memories to bank on, of how people react live when he says certain things (the Horse Prince reference in the show stands out as a specific moment of queerness that got a hugely positive reaction in the show and was all Phil) - and he's also got all the collected memories of what those people in the meet and greets choose to say to him with their few seconds. If people are using that meet and greet time that they paid good money for just to say "Thank you for making me be comfortable with myself." then I definitely think that would get flipped around and make Phil feel more comfortable being himself and more confident that he can step into the a space that's a little more closer than his off-camera reality without losing anything.