Dan & Phil Part 78: have the courage to exist.

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

goodbants wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:13 am This might sound kinda silly and dumb but I feel a connection to Phil knowing he has trouble driving. I've had driving anxiety my whole life, I didn't get my license until I was 19 (I live in the US and everyone here gets it when they're 16). I also failed the test like four times and I've had mental breakdowns over driving. It's the only way for me to get around here and it's caused so much stress. Knowing he can't drive either makes me feel like I'm not the only one and it's such a little thing but I'm so glad he shared that with us cause it makes a big difference to me.
i feel you! although i haven't taken driving lessons, i've always feared being in cars. idk if i'll ever take lessons bc of that reason, i'm not the in-control type naturally. i'm glad you feel less alone about it! it's not a weird or uncommom thing at all to not like driving. :love2:
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
greenergrass
stress mushroom

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:20 pm On twitter @idk brought up the evolution of their video titles lately:
And I had kind of subconsciously recognized that but I hadn't realized how blatant it is. I kind of love it? Like I replied to that tweet, I think it's definitely a sign that the thing about not trying to be the best youtuber with the most subs isn't just a Dan thing, it's a Dan and Phil thing. I think views still matter a bit but I think Dan and Phil have shifted away from caring if they're attracting new viewers and are actually just having a fucking blast catering to the fans they do have, making content that they enjoy making and they know we - the audience who is already familiar with their weirdness, their psychic connection, their dick-and-shirtless-guy jokes, their random dpdpdpdp mouth noises, all the little quirks that make it fun to be a regular viewer - enjoy watching.
I like that you brought up this interpretation, since I had been noticing the change in video title format lately but had actually thought the opposite. Well, not the opposite exactly, but my thought when I first noticed the change in video titles was that they were actually trying to make the videos more clickable in a way. I don't know really which titles garner more attention, but when I saw the more 'loose', less structured video titles, it had immediately made me think of daily vloggers I used to watch who started changing their more structured video titles (such as including 'vlog dec 11 2016' or something like that in the title) to just something that loosely related to that day's vlog, and they had done this to make the videos more clickable based on the algorithm or whatever. It also reminded me of things like Q&A videos which will make the title some specific thing from the Q&A rather than a more 'formal' title.

Anyways, clearly there are differences between all of those things, and my intention isn't to argue with your post, but just to mention how I initially perceived the title changes and how your post has me thinking a bit differently. Neither reasonings are necessarily bad (like, I mean that I wouldn't care at all if deppy were purposefully trying to actually make more clickable titles), but it's cool to see another perspective on it. I definitely agree that the content/attitude in general in the videos is dan and phil very much being themselves and being silly and doing whatever they want and catering to both themselves (making themselves happy) and their current fanbase instead of really trying to please potential new audiences. And it would make sense that the thought behind their content and their video titles would match, in that they're just have fun with the titles and not taking it too seriously.

But yeah, I wonder if anyone had the same initial thoughts about the reasoning behind the title format changes recently.
knq
lava lamp
Pronouns: she/her

I’ve always been curious how much of Phil’s feeling like he can’t drive/failing the test many times has to do with his left/right confusion. My friend has the same issue and I can see how it would be a problem, especially in the UK’s more rigerous driving tests, if the instructor is unwilling to make any sort of accommodation like pointing when they give the direction. If not, a competent and safe driver could fail the test repeatedly because they can’t follow the direction to turn ‘right.’

I’ve no idea if that was the case with Phil. I just find the thought irritating.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

That’s a good point. He said in the Tabinof audio book that he doesn’t drive because he can’t multitask, he didn’t go into more detail.
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

I think they're exaggerating about Phil being 'a danger on the road'. He did pass his test after all, and drove at least a bit when he was 18. I can understand why he wouldn't want to drive anymore though. He lacks experience and on top of that he says he has issues keeping focus and is easily distracted / a bit scatter minded. The road is full of people like that though, so I doubt he is really that extremely distracted that he literally couldn't drive without causing an accident.
But it gives the video some more flair.

My thoughts about the video: i found it pretty mediocre tbh. Especially the first two games where basically Dan just uses some random items (from the roleplay trunk ;) ?) to slowly circle around Phil's head. Not exactly exhilarating content.
The speed picked up a bit when Dan took Phil for a drive, but all in all I can't really get excited about this spon video that makes them play an uninteresting game and was pretty thin on jokes.
Phan service of the month trophy goes to Phil asking Dan to pat him on the head.
On the positive side it was nice to have some content, it's always fun to see them and i learned what a 'booboo' means :lol:
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
glitterintheair
phillluminati

I watched the video while i was having breakfast and it was a mistake because I almost choked on my tea several times. It was hilarious and I think it's one of the funniest videos they have ever uploaded. Also I relate to Phil's fear of driving because I do have a license but I haven't driven since I was 18 and I wouldn't even know how to do it now, so.. yeah.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
autumnhearth
senpai

sugar wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:53 pm arousal at critical level???? i know dan’s no stranger to casual male attraction mentions but has he ever been so blatantly horny for men on main?
Unpopular opinion in coming: I think the ‘arousal at critical level’ is referring to Spidey being aroused by the female character, hence why it was a bad idea for him to be in boxers at that moment. Which is not to say that Dan can’t be or wasn’t turned on by half naked Spideman or both of them, I just don’t think he’s referrring to that in his caption. But I do think it’s great that both he and Phil aren’t afraid to let us see that they like playing as men in their underwear. :ribena:

I’m also someone who waited to get their driving liscense until 19, I really didn’t need it before then. I did great on my exam and genuinely enjoy the open road, though other drivers often stress me out and I’m afraid of driving downtown. A couple weeks ago when I dropped off my parents at the airport my dad told me I drive beautifully and someone must have taught me well (it was him, I never had any other instructors, just the one exam guy) and my mom has told me a few times that she always feels safe when I drive (compared to my older more confident sister who has been driving since she was 16). Buuut I’d say that half of my stress dreams involve driving, particular where the driver has abandoned the vehicle and I have to control it from the passenger or back seat. Though that may have more to do with feeling out of control in my life :shrug: it probably didn’t help that my first time driving alone was in a downpour in my in law’s obscenely large truck, under an underpass that my (now) husband had previous crashed into in the rain (hence why he had the truck temporarily) to pick up his roomate who was stranded with his bike on campus. *shudders*
I’ve watched that gaming video three time now and still have to watch it with my husband. Whoever that mysterious heart-eyes person could be, who was sexting Phil, it’s good to know that he still comes home to pizza with his best buddy Dan. :platonic:

Oh and re the props box, I know the trunk was last mentioned in the moving out video as Phil’s and was at the end of Phil’s bed, but now that AP is officially (don’t question it) a joint channel, it officially belongs to both of them (probably like it always did) which is why it’s kept in the filming flat with all the other props. :D
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

My interpretation of the Spiderman thing (since I saw the ig before reading social media) was also that he was reacting to the fact that the woman was touching Spidey. I'm presuming the touch would have been the same no matter what they had the character in, so him being in underwear only just made it extra spicy. Also agree that Dan and Phil have not made a secret about playing male characters as naked as they can get them, though - Phil with the Zelda game, anyone?
There's a part of me wincing at people saying 19 was waiting a long time - I'm 33 and I still don't drive. I had my permit for ages and through a series of unfortunate events never got to take the test (the DMV was not close to me at all - once I showed up and it was closed, once I got in the car with the instructor and the car wouldn't start - wasn't me, the battery was dead, but she thought I was an *idiot* who couldn't start the car that we had just showed up in and that humiliation was hard to surmount, once there were no instructors available in the 3-hour window I had to wait before work so I left). I even bought a car! But then my parents car broke down and they started using mine and I had no option to drive anyway, then I went to college where I lived on campus and then walking distance to campus and... before I knew it I was 24 and had never really needed it, and after that it's been too embarrassing to ask someone to 'teach' me again. Anxiety wins some battles. So trust me, if you did it before yo hit your 20s, you're well within the realm of very normal. And I also agree that hearing Phil just be blunt about not driving because he'd be a bad driver is really nice to hear, whether he has his license or not.
Stakhanov
haru pillow

Strikes me as a typical Dan story open to multiple interpretations.

Is he expressing his own arousal for spidey? Possibly.
Is he identifying with spidey and expressing his arousal for the woman on screen (touching him)? Possibly.
Is he flirting directly with us as an audience, self-aware about how we'll be triggered by the word arousal? Possibly.
A mix of all these or something entirely different? Also possible. I mainly think he recognized a good instagram story and enjoys sharing a slightly sexual story. With both men and women ;)
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Dan's 'Stains' story was way worse than Spiderman imo. With that 'ha ha ha'... I see you Howell, and I'm not sure how I am supposed to feel about it.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
Stakhanov
haru pillow

I take it as meme queen Howell having a light hearted laugh with all the people who started crafting theories about the 'stains', and I'm fine with that. I think it means he's feeling in a good mood, or not a terrible one at least ;)
It has to be very odd to take a picture in the rain where you're (desperately) trying to look stylish and then catch a whole lot of talk on twitter on how your jacket was so full of stains. Which stains? Where did they come from. What does it mean? :D
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

my two cents on the driving thing
i relate a lot to phil i don’t drive, i don’t even have my driving licence. in france, most people got their licence by the time they’re 18-19 and here i am, 24-year-old and nothing. and people (my extended family) make me understand that it’s weird and not okay.but 1) driving scares the shit out of me, one of the reason being that i CAN’T multitask, i had more than 35 hours of driving lessons, let me tell you that i'm scarred for life 2) i really don’t need a car now and 3) i don’t plan on living in the freaking french countryside so i’m pretty sure i wont need a car in the future
anyway, i feel like phil really can't drive? between all the things (left/right confusion, forgetfulness, things like that) he did not drive for MANY years. i mean how many years does it take before you just forget, forget to one point where you can be dangerous for you and others? an accident can happen anytime! and on that note, what do we think of dan’s ability to drive? it’s been a long time too since he last drove a car.
:gayaf:
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Ataraxia25 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:25 pm anyway, i feel like phil really can't drive? between all the things (left/right confusion, forgetfulness, things like that) he did not drive for MANY years. i mean how many years does it take before you just forget, forget to one point where you can be dangerous for you and others? an accident can happen anytime!
I relate to Phil on a spiritual level with some of his issues- I have a problem with left/right and I am also very absent-minded but i live somewhere where you have to be able to drive. I’ve never had any problems driving aside from leaving my windshield wipers on or passing my exit but I wish I lived somewhere with public transportation because if I did I’d probably do the same as Phil and choose to not drive.
Stakhanov
haru pillow

I think Dan's ability can't be much better? Unless he still occasionally drives or at one point in his life drove so much that it's become a automatism?
Reading up on everyone's experiences I think I underestimated what it means for Phil not having driven at all for years and I guess he really would be a danger on the road or might have outright forgotten how to drive. Except for driving Mario Carts.
Suspicious Jumpcuts
banned

Add me to the list of older people who can't drive. I'm 39 and I've never learned. I do have a provisional license, but I only got that to use as ID, never to actually learn!

Regarding if either of them can drive, neither of them appear to have driven for around a decade, so while they probably remember some things, I'd classify them as not being safe on the roads, especially in the city (where you'd be a fool to drive anyway tbh). I think if either of them were to take it up again, they'd want some refresher lessons, license or no.
Stakhanov wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:17 pm I think Dan's ability can't be much better? Unless he still occasionally drives or at one point in his life drove so much that it's become a automatism?
I'm not 100% sure, hopefully, a UK driver and confirm or correct, but I think you can't just drive someone else's car? Some I know had to get their policy changed to allow them to drive other cars on their own insurance (that Dan wouldn't have). If so, I doubt he's driven at all since having his car sold.

Currently though, there's really no reason for them to get behind the wheel again. London and Greater London (where I live) has excellent public transport between the tube, rain network, trams and buses. Granted they aren't always perfect (I commute hours every day for my job on the train, it can be painful), but there's really nowhere in the around the city and home counties you can't get too, and most larger destinations in the rest of the country are easy to access. For the rest there's taxis.

Saying that, if they moved slightly outside of London (into their forever home), I could see them taking it up again as it'd be more convenient as your options do get reduced slightly.

Regarding the video, I didn't find it the funniest thing ever - Fast games don't allow for as many bants (opposed to something like Will You Press the Button), but I did enjoy it and thought it was a nice, fun and creative way to spon the phone. I much prefer their phone spons to the Dragon City/Love Nikki ones, where they are more limited with what they can do and the games are dull af no matter what they do.

Also, hi. Thought I'd jump right in. :)
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

didn't phil drive dan back to the train station in like november/december 2009? i remember tweets about traffic or something.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I'm 25 and don't drive either, nor do I have a desire to get my license. I live in a place with pretty great public transport that takes me almost anywhere I wanna go, so as long as I don't move to any remote areas I'll be fine. But aside from that (and lack of money), anxiety and struggling with left and right are huge factors in never taking the step as well. It doesn't help that my parents never had a car either (dad is half blind, mum is even more anxious than me) so I honestly know even less about cars and driving than the average person.

It's nice to know that other people, including Phil, struggle with left and right. I always feel super insecure about not having mastered something that is supposedly so easy that the average 5 year old can do it. For me it's due to my dyscalculia. I'm literally useless at so many 'easy' things because of it :sideeye:

@Suspicious Jumpcuts :welcome:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
LadyLackless
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: She/Her

Do I remember something about Phil hitting a badger with a car in Wales or did I hallucinate that?

Add me to the list of those who empathise with Phil on the hatred of driving thing!
I took 4 attempts to pass my test (on the tiny, safe little island where I grew up, where the max speed limit is 40mph) and didn’t drive at all from age 18-30 as I left home to go to uni in a small-ish city with good public transport where I didn’t need a car, followed by a move to London where it’s completely unnecessary to drive. Unfortunately I then moved out of London to a tiny rural village and had kids, both of which required me to get behind the wheel again.
Also :welcome: @Suspicious Jumpcuts fellow London worker! :D
liola
rankussy

Even people that drive regularly can be awful driver. My dad is a bad driver, I always am worried whenever he has to do any long drive on his own and he's had his license for 40+ years.

I love driving, I've had my license for 8 years and I can confidently say I'm good at it but I also find it quite relaxing (morons and traffic aside, I become the stereotype of road rage in that situation). But I also understand Phil and so many of you struggles with driving, for the first two years of having my license I would drive like once every few months and I was terrified of it, also not driving for long periods of time makes it hard to become an automatic thing.

I'd gladly give Phil driving lessons, even though I would have to take a test first to make sure I dont go in the wrong lane lol

That said, I would do it for you Phil Lester, you don't have to pay me just please post a suit pic we've waited so long :wahh: :wahh: :wahh:
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
Stakhanov
haru pillow

Welcome @Suspicious Jumpcuts
Yea there's little practical reason for him to drive, and I would be surprised if he decided to spend thousands of pounds on a car just for the heck of it. So I don't think his driving skills are much better than Phil's. Maybe Phil joking about Dan's bad driving can be spon vid no. 2 :lol: ?
Then again it could be that he occasionally has to drive like maybe when he visits family that lives a bit more rural (his brother) or who knows what he's up to some days. Oh right, didn't they drive themselves for some parts of TATINOF? Or did they have a driver for that minivan?
He also likes cars. At least the F1 ones ;)

I guess the chance we get content before spooky week is about the same as the universe spontaneously imploding under the weight of it's own paradoxes. Le sigh
goodbants
drama llama
Pronouns: she/her/hers

So glad I'm not the only one that sucks at driving lol. Thanks for all the responses, makes me feel better about not driving for a long while. My family and friends would give me shit for it a lot and it seemed like I was the only one.
<3 <3
:sparkle: this was the most fun i've ever had :sparkle:
opendoor
rainbow nerd

On the titles: I have been noticing the change of titles, and I also think it's to make the videos MORE clickable. Or possibly just cause they feel like shaking things up. MAYBE it's a recognition of the fact that most people are there for them rather than the gameplay.

Also the halloween theme is lit. The flickering TV makes it.

New viddy was cute, I loved all the things they did to make the game interesting. Reminded me of when they did the Mario Kart challenge. aspinningphil. Phil's usually the one teaching Dan how to use an app, so this was an interesting switch-up.
liola wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:49 pm I've died I've reached nirvana. The gaming camera picking up the empty room and right after Phil falling off the chair ???honestly the funniest fucking thing I had to pause the video cause I choked on my dinner I was laughing so hard and I had to actually grab a tissue for my tears.
The empty gaming room made me laugh as well, it was so unexpected! The faint sound of them shouting over the crickets.
itasca00 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:29 pm Nice choice of words by Phil:
D: What did you just do to that family?
P: They rear-ended me.
D: What did you just do to that innocent family?
P: They were--They were right in my ass.
Concerned that I didn't even notice this.
itasca00 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:29 pm [*][12:42] Dan shouldn't be allowed to say things like this. It could kill me.
P: I think I could get some kind of award.
D: Maybe a little sticker for your boo boo.
This was precious.
I miss Dan Howell's stupid face.
jesp
why bother

Mod Note
Suspicious Jumpcuts wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:26 pmAlso, hi. Thought I'd jump right in. :)
Hi Suspicious Jumpcuts, and welcome to the forum.

We've discovered that this is the second account you have registered on the forum, and have done so with the intent to hide your previous forum identity from our users.

I'm afraid that we do not allow users to register more than one account. Registering more than one account can lead to all accounts of yours being banned, however in this instance we have reached the decision to ban the account "Suspicious Jumpcuts", and issue a warning to your original account. Registering any further accounts will lead to all accounts of yours being banned.

Our rules are here, and seriously, I've written shopping lists longer than the rules, take two minutes to read through them.
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

LadyLackless wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:00 pm Do I remember something about Phil hitting a badger with a car in Wales or did I hallucinate that?
You're not hallucinating. This story was told here. But I seem to recall this story being told a second time, and, in that telling, it was revealed that Martyn was the one who was driving. Now I'm the one who's not sure if their hallucinating...
I have spent the past hour and a half trying to find this second telling without any success. :wahh: At first, I thought it might have been told in association with a story Dan told about his parents selling his car without telling him. I couldn't remember exactly where this story had been told, but I thought it might have been in the TABINOF audio book. I listened to several relevant parts, but I wasn't able to find the story, and I'm now thinking that that story might not have been told in the TABINOF audio book after all.

After thinking about it some more, I seemed to recall Dan and Phil talking about Martyn being a somewhat scary driver in a recent liveshow, and I thought Phil might have retold the story of the badger then. I have tried looking through recent liveshows to find the relevant moment, but I have not had any success on this front either. :(

I conclusion, I hate not being able to find things.
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?
LadyLackless
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: She/Her

itasca00 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:01 pm
LadyLackless wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:00 pm Do I remember something about Phil hitting a badger with a car in Wales or did I hallucinate that?
You're not hallucinating. This story was told here. But I seem to recall this story being told a second time, and, in that telling, it was revealed that Martyn was the one who was driving. Now I'm the one who's not sure if their hallucinating...
I have spent the past hour and a half trying to find this second telling without any success. :wahh: At first, I thought it might have been told in association with a story Dan told about his parents selling his car without telling him. I couldn't remember exactly where this story had been told, but I thought it might have been in the TABINOF audio book. I listened to several relevant parts, but I wasn't able to find the story, and I'm now thinking that that story might not have been told in the TABINOF audio book after all.

After thinking about it some more, I seemed to recall Dan and Phil talking about Martyn being a somewhat scary driver in a recent liveshow, and I thought Phil might have retold the story of the badger then. I have tried looking through recent liveshows to find the relevant moment, but I have not had any success on this front either. :(

I conclusion, I hate not being able to find things.
THANK YOU! I thought I was going mad!!! Sorry to have sent you down a rabbit hole over the true identity of the driver though! :sherlock: