Dan & Phil Part 78: have the courage to exist.

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Winston
flower crown
Pronouns: she/her

Lol also Martyn is how old and they seem to have a plethoraof friends. Considering Cornelia's bday bash last year I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't celebrate his big day at a different time, not with mommy and daddy.

I agree Danny is home. Enjoying cheese, video games and sad movies for three Phil-free days and there is nothing wrong with that. Distance makes the heart grow fonder. ;)
actions speak louder than words
kavat
pastel persona

Winston wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:31 pm I agree Danny is home. Enjoying cheese, video games and sad movies for three Phil-free days and there is nothing wrong with that. Distance makes the heart grow fonder. ;)
I mean Dan keeps talking about how horrible it is to live with Phil so he should be glad to be alone for a while, right?
Winston
flower crown

Obviously. ;)

But for real though. My husband and I travel to and from work together and are at home at the same time every day. So I don't blame the boys taking a 3-day break. Besides they have some good reasons to be in different places.

I'd want a three-day break so I could eat some cheese too.
actions speak louder than words
greenergrass
stress mushroom

I forgot about the time change in the UK, and was like, what I'm home from work before a video upload?! Slackers lol and then remembered the time change and that it's an hour earlier in the UK for a week. I need this weekend to come so the time difference goes back to normal
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Okay I'm not gonna say this is on my rewatch weekly list or anything, it is ultimately a silly game and they're silly playing it, but Dan grabbing Phil's hand out of fear around 9:25 and then both of them just casually laughing at about it restored some of what has been a fairly dismal day for me. I got my legit horror game yesterday, my needs were met - this video made me laugh, they made me laugh, so I'll forgive the shitty exe game and just be happy with it.
nurikii
not a first-time poster

Hurt my foot kicking it against a wall because of a fricking shrek jumpscare smh

(Also hi, I'm new here. Nice to finally talk to you guys after just lurking for awhile) 😊
hello9217
flower crown

I knew this game was coming, I didn't want it to come, but now that it's hear I'm not too displeased. I mean the game is shit and stupid but the "I'm holding my boobs," "release your boobs," exchange made it slightly more valid since it made me laugh. I got my true genuine horror game and creepy game the past two days so I'll let dnp play a silly/dumb game. In the end my review is: it was ok
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

lmao fuck, the new video. fun fact that will ruin my life if any of you use it against me: as a child i had a crush on shrek. i promise i am not even joking,, can't believe Shrek was my Gay Awakening.

it was a silly video, i laughed a lot despite not finding the shrek memes funny anymore. i think i burnt that meme for good, like i ruined it for myself since i literally had the entire Shrek is love, Shrek is life copypasta memorized in 2013.... dark times!

i also love that dan's immediate reaction was to grab phil's hand when a jumpscare happened, like..... wow! idc about the reasoning behind it, he just needed to hold his hand and nobody can change my mind.
:garbage:
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

That was fun and the first time I’ve actually jumped at a spooky week jumpscare, only took 4 years, but the first one there got me. It’s funny that they’ve done all these slender games, always been spooked to heck by them and only now decide enough’s enough. That squelching sound when the orange screen appeared was probably the worst thing. Also the whirring beetle sound in Dan’s fireplace. I love Phil’s jumper, though. Also Dan’s ig story of Phil with the pumpkin. Wonderful hip action.

Yesterday’s video was fun too, I watched it this morning. It was creepy rather than frightening, especially the family and whatever they were eating at the end. And the thought of the woman having been locked down there for three years and barely seeming traumatised, she was far too calm. Phil’s mask prank, cheeky sh*t, and Dan falling off the chair yet again, top-notch content.
Tottrie
drama llama

Why do they talk about how annoying it is to live together so much all of a sudden?
The logical side off me says it nothing and just them opening up. But there is this nagging, stupid, feeling of confusion and worry...
pararlama
phillion/danosaur <//3
Pronouns: they/them

Fucking shrek. The first jumpscare actually made me jump for the first time ever as far as i can remember. I love horror and I'm completely unaffected by it so shrek?? really??

such a cute video, I was smiling the whole time. and I can't really pinpoint why

@Tottrie
Why do they talk about how annoying it is to live together so much all of a sudden?
The logical side off me says it nothing and just them opening up. But there is this nagging, stupid, feeling of confusion and worry...
same! I've been thinking about this since the mukbang vid.

so i think it's only fair that he comes up here and shares this with me

alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Tottrie wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:37 pm Why do they talk about how annoying it is to live together so much all of a sudden?
Listen to the logical side. There's no reason to be confused or worried; Dan and Phil always tend to work along a rotation of familiar jokes that get made repeatedly for a while until they die out. Right now it's Phil's socks on the floor. They often repeat things from liveshows in videos, too; it's like once something has entered the zone in their head of things they've said to us one place that either they were tickled by themselves or that we responded well to, they want to reuse it on every platform. And since it's Dan joking about Phil, the joke will be delivered with Dan's tone - which is always sarcastic to the extreme. Dan doesn't do genuine vulnerability, Dan sounds sarcastic when he talks about his own grandmother. Dan's not going to just bust out of nowhere telling us how amazing Phil is when he's talking to Phil, or when Phil is right there. If he wants to talk about Phil, and living with Phil, and making sure we know he's the one that sees Phil's dirty socks laying around and no one else gets to - he's gonna do it masked in jokes.

Basically - and I rambled at length about this on tumblr already the other day - but I absolutely love that the stuff that makes it into their overused one liner collection now are domestic jabs at each other? God it's so much better than the distancing they did a few years ago - so much warmer and fonder and more open. There's literally no reason to think that someone leaving their socks on the floor (and also keep in mind that this is a joke they're reusing down to specifically what Dan complains about: socks on the floor) means they're breaking up or moving apart. Dan's all but put down roots on Phil's channel now. The gaming stuff is going strong. They're establishing new traditions left and right. (Talking about the mukbang being a new one, their mince pies in December, etc.) They show us more and tell us more and if that means the repetition in jokes incorporates domestic anecdotes now, I am all for it. I will take Dan's fond-sarcastic "Ugh, living with you is awful." over the customer service polite tone he used to use when talking about living with 'another youtuber' or 'AmazingPhil.'
liola
rankussy

The video was actually funny and they were disgustingly cute. Dan instantly grabbing Phil's hand out of fear :happytears: makes me think of holding his hand in dark cinemas during horror movie dates.
pararlama wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:48 pm Fucking shrek. The first jumpscare actually made me jump for the first time ever as far as i can remember. I love horror and I'm completely unaffected by it so shrek?? really??

such a cute video, I was smiling the whole time. and I can't really pinpoint why

@Tottrie
I think what a lot of people isn't looking at is what they're NOT mentioning: they're not saying, not even hinting really, at wanting to STOP living together. Neither of them has even gotten close at saying "ugh can't wait to move away". I think that's the real thing to think about here :platonic:
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
thestigdrivesamini
sad dimple

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:51 pm
Tottrie wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:37 pm Why do they talk about how annoying it is to live together so much all of a sudden?
Listen to the logical side. There's no reason to be confused or worried; Dan and Phil always tend to work along a rotation of familiar jokes that get made repeatedly for a while until they die out. Right now it's Phil's socks on the floor. They often repeat things from liveshows in videos, too; it's like once something has entered the zone in their head of things they've said to us one place that either they were tickled by themselves or that we responded well to, they want to reuse it on every platform. And since it's Dan joking about Phil, the joke will be delivered with Dan's tone - which is always sarcastic to the extreme. Dan doesn't do genuine vulnerability, Dan sounds sarcastic when he talks about his own grandmother. Dan's not going to just bust out of nowhere telling us how amazing Phil is when he's talking to Phil, or when Phil is right there. If he wants to talk about Phil, and living with Phil, and making sure we know he's the one that sees Phil's dirty socks laying around and no one else gets to - he's gonna do it masked in jokes.

Basically - and I rambled at length about this on tumblr already the other day - but I absolutely love that the stuff that makes it into their overused one liner collection now are domestic jabs at each other? God it's so much better than the distancing they did a few years ago - so much warmer and fonder and more open. There's literally no reason to think that someone leaving their socks on the floor (and also keep in mind that this is a joke they're reusing down to specifically what Dan complains about: socks on the floor) means they're breaking up or moving apart. Dan's all but put down roots on Phil's channel now. The gaming stuff is going strong. They're establishing new traditions left and right. (Talking about the mukbang being a new one, their mince pies in December, etc.) They show us more and tell us more and if that means the repetition in jokes incorporates domestic anecdotes now, I am all for it. I will take Dan's fond-sarcastic "Ugh, living with you is awful." over the customer service polite tone he used to use when talking about living with 'another youtuber' or 'AmazingPhil.'
Yes to all of this! Particularly that it’s light years ahead of their old “banter”. Who remembers the “you need to get a girlfriend” from 2013 halloween? I still cringe at that comment.

2018 deppy is truly the best evolution <3
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

thestigdrivesamini wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:59 pm2018 deppy is truly the best evolution <3
Ugh, yessssss. I love it so much.

Also something I love - Safiya and Tyler, omg - okay for some reason my embed isn't working but here's a link and a twitter embed.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

Eh, I think we all figured they were going to play this game. It's a dumb jokey game, and they're really ridiculous so I did enjoy myself watching it. The hand grabbing moment is definitely a highlight for me. It's the little, so casually delivered things like that that ultimately show how far they've come over the years. It's lovely. I also like the concept of Dan and Phil simulator proposed by Dan. Very domestic lol. I cackled at Phil holding his boobs too. Great bit of banter there. And the review from Phil: "I hate it" lmao.
scientia
phabergé

liola wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:54 pm The video was actually funny and they were disgustingly cute. Dan instantly grabbing Phil's hand out of fear :happytears: makes me think of holding his hand in dark cinemas during horror movie dates.
pararlama wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:48 pm Fucking shrek. The first jumpscare actually made me jump for the first time ever as far as i can remember. I love horror and I'm completely unaffected by it so shrek?? really??

@Tottrie
I think what a lot of people isn't looking at is what they're NOT mentioning: they're not saying, not even hinting really, at wanting to STOP living together. Neither of them has even gotten close at saying "ugh can't wait to move away". I think that's the real thing to think about here :platonic:
See, my :illuminati: brain has been thinking that they could be planting a ~separation~ much in the same way they did with moving the first time around (STORAGE).
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

scientia wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:22 pm
liola wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:54 pm The video was actually funny and they were disgustingly cute. Dan instantly grabbing Phil's hand out of fear :happytears: makes me think of holding his hand in dark cinemas during horror movie dates.

@Tottrie
See, my :illuminati: brain has been thinking that they could be planting a ~separation~ much in the same way they did with moving the first time around (STORAGE).
I think liola's point is exactly what disproves that. That'd be like if they were planting the storage seeds at the same time they were telling us where the Christmas tree would be in a year in the exact same apartment. But they weren't contradicting a move while hinting at a move last year - and right now literally nothing about them, their future plans, their interactions with each other, or what they say to yes indicates anything apart. The only thing anyone is basing this on is a joke about socks.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

It was fine. A solid meh. Dan grabbing Phil's hand and Phil grabbing his tiddies were the obvious highlights. tbh if 2 out 4 gaming videos for Spooky Week stand on the 'meh' side of the scale, while the other 2 stand on 'pretty damn good' then I'm pretty satisfied with the level of spooks this year. :ghostclaps:

I can see why people might be a bit worried about D&P's joke of the month being about how horrible living together is but it's probably just that. A joke. :shrug:

and omg a power couple dressing up as another power couple. i love safiya and tyler. phan are ok too i guess.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

i loved the video!!
watched it with my best friend and we literally screamed for the first jumpscare, i'm not even sad for the neighbours

i also found it weird all these mentions of how hard it is to live with phil but no, they're not moving away from each other. not for me.
:gayaf:
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Catallena wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:36 pm I can see why people might be a bit worried about D&P's joke of the month being about how horrible living together is but it's probably just that. A joke. :shrug:
I always have this weird anxiety with Dan and Phil that I don’t really have with anyone else so when they reuse jokes like this, especially when them separating (personally or professionally) has been a recurring worry this year I do admit that I feel uneasy.

Then I remember that this whole “Phil is messy and hard to live with” thing is something we’ve heard before - there was a period of time a couple of years ago when Dan talked about it a lot and so maybe this really is just him recycling jokes. Also, I’d hope that if they do ever decide to move apart they’d choose to present it as a joint decision and not just as a Dan decision Dan made because Phil left socks out because if they were hinting at it going this route then we have Dan saying Phil is hard to live with and Phil saying he isn’t messy and a good housemate - not a smart way to ease us into a move and I know they are smarter than that and respect their audience more
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

I find it always helps to think about when things are filmed. Something that seems to have been raised a lot may have just been mentioned on one filming day. Maybe Phil was just that messy that day so Dan mentioned it a few times. It just feels a lot because it’s spaced out for us.
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

damn if dnp really are separating from each other soon then i wonder how they're going to split every shared item they have in half. would they do it with a hacksaw? machete? axe? hot knife?
maybe i should start worrying about my parents splitting up since my dad always complains about my mum leaving her dirty socks everywhere too... :hmmm:
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Dan and Phil's responses to Safiya:
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

For the first time this Spooky Week, I was actually jumpscared! Twice. By that Shrek face popping up on the screen. Needless to say, I enjoyed the video. Here are my highlights:
  • [0:32] Dan reveals that he’s scared of beetles. He says May bugs used to fall down the chimney into the fireplace that was in his room and make a ruckus while he was sleeping. The number of cute stories Dan has from his past never ceases to amaze me.
  • [2:15] Dan and Phil admire some nude Shrek fan art. Dan says that the art makes him feel “quite moved.”
  • [3:15] I thought this was a weird exchange:
    D: Well, I think you’re a SingleLayer. Don’t you?
    P: Single?
    D: Phil’s a single layer. He’s not an onion.
    P: SingleLayer.
  • [4:16] Dan and Phil are jumpscared by the face of Shrek appearing on the screen. Dan also screams for the first time this video. :D
  • [4:32] I guess Spooky Week really makes Dan's kinky mind go into overdrive. Furries, daddies, now inflation. What's next?
    D: Okay, what does the sign say? “Shrek’s Punishment Barrel.”
    P: Oh, my God. What’s he do with the punishment barrel?
    D: I don--I don’t even wanna know what that m--
    P: What does that mean?
    D: Was that something from the movies? Did I forget some, like, weird, kinky stomach inflation--What is going on over there?
  • [5:12] Dan screams incredibly loudly (twice) when he sees Donkey on fire. :D
  • [5:32] Dan and Phil are jumpscared by the appearance of Shrek. Dan almost falls off his chair and lifts his leg into the air, apparently for balance.
  • [5:57] Dan gives us all a fun drinking game to play: :ribena:
    D: Now, take a shot every time Phil looks at an onion but doesn’t register that there’s an onion and then runs in the opposite direction.
  • [7:22] Dan and Phil are jumpscared by Shrek. Phil does one of his yelps/screams, but Dan just yells.
  • [8:09] Dan and Phil are jumpscared by the Shrek face appearing on the screen again.
  • [9:26] Dan and Phil are jumpscared after they see Shrek. There are a couple of good screams from Dan. :D Generally speaking, Dan kinda flipped out during this jumpscare and ended up pulling Phil’s hand off the mouse. The play-by-play of exactly what I saw happen is under the spoiler:
    1. Dan is leaning forward to see what’s on the screen better.
    2. Shrek appears, and he leans back and screams.
    3. Dan grabs a fistful of Phil’s sleeve and rips his hand off the mouse.
    4. Dan lets go and flails about in fright.
    5. Dan screams again and grabs at his own hair before finally calming down because they have lost the game.
  • [11:09] I can't wait for someone to make this and for Dan and Phil to play it next Spooky Week! :lol:
    D: Maybe this is a metaphor for us living together--
    P: Do you think so?
    D: --and Shrek violently murdered Donkey ‘cause he had enough of his shit.
    P: Hey. I’m a great housemate. I’ve got all the skills.
    D: It might be you that kills me. I dunno, man.
    P: *killing noise*
    D: I’m just saying it’s inevitable. And then there’ll be Dan and Phil Simulator where Phil chases you around the woods, but every time you start--
    P: I’m leaving socks on the floor!
    D: Exactly. You have to collect the socks.
    P: They’re endless!
    D: And every five meters in the wood, you change direction.
  • [11:44] Dan and Phil are jumpscared by the Shrek face appearing on the screen. Dan lets out more of a yell than a scream. Also, Phil decides to say out loud:
    P: I’m holding my boobs! I’m holding my boobs!
    To which Dan eventually replies:
    D: Release your boobs.
  • [12:05] Dan and Phil are jumpscared again after seeing Shrek.
  • [12:22] Dan and Phil are jumpscared one last time after seeing Shrek.
  • [12:49] Shrek and Christmas give equal amounts of joy to Dan. That seems perfectly normal.
    D: I’m going to say it here: I’m never playing another Slender derivative as long as I live.
    P: No, that--that’s enough.
    D: I feel like we’ve peaked now. It’s ruined Christmas and now it’s ruined Shrek, so what is there left to live for?
  • Ayyy, the merch links are right again in this video description. But how long can it last? To borrow a phrase from Dan, this is the true horror of Spooky Week. :roll:
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?