Dan & Phil Part 79: calm down there bub

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
gnostic
stress mushroom

As someone who used to suffer terrible frequent headaches before getting them treated very unconventionally, I can confirm doctors often have no fucking idea what's going on with that. They basically make sure to exclude known life threatening causes, shrug and go "welp brain is complicated"
Just here for the marketing skills
liola
rankussy
Pronouns: she/her

Was the bit of Dan being in his underwear only necessary Phil? Was it? Did it add anything to the story?

Anyway I love solo AmazingPhil i hope it's here to stay, that video was so good! Deep and personal and serious but also funny, I cracked myself up at the accidental dab. What a contrast, seeing the closet room with its bright props and clutter with this new Phil i'm now used about. Did it seem less cluttered to anyone else? Was it just the starking contrast of Phil's looks that made me think so?

I don't think having headaches that often isn't necessarily something to worry about, my coworker has them at least twice a week and she definitely lives a healthier lifestyle than Phil seem to have. Staying up till 3am as often as they seem to do isn't healthy, and I say it as someone that has chronic insomnia and force herself to get in bed even without sleeping and always wakes up feeling nauseous and shitty because of it. He never seemed to have the greatest sleep schedule and I do think the strressing about / anxious mechanisms he described are more to do with the headaches than anything strictly physical.
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
hello9217
flower crown

I thought that was a good combination of serious talk mixed with lighthearted comments. Really good video and like @rizzo I too oddly enjoyed that scans of his brain.
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

good vid!! i'm glad that he's alright, headaches run on my mum's side of the family and my sister and her both get them frequently. i'm glad he's healthy.
cool that we got more insight on dan helping phil at 5am, wasn't expecting him to tell us he was just in his boxers but ok. i was nervous when he was talking about being at the hospital, even though i kinda expected him to be fine, but idk the possibility of randomly getting a disease or medical issue when you think you're okay is just very terrifying. i understand why he saved the story for a video (outside of y'know,, a video idea) it's a long story!
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Loved the video, Phil is great at storytelling and balancing funny stuff with more serious one. Also, not sure if the mention of adopting a dog with Christ Hemsworth and Dan going to help him in his underwear was necessary but I'm not complaining.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
Andy
squish

Oh solo Phil, how i've missed you!
I was having a good time until he started showing his brain scans. Thinking about how different organs inside humans(especially inside me) work makes me feel very..... Not Good :?
autumnhearth
senpai

Mmm I can relate to being a weak cave person with frequent headaches. I’m so sensitive to everything and sometimes I white out (vision goes white instead of black) in situations like donating blood, getting an iud replaced, over exertion and extreme heat or sun exposure. I can often feel it coming on and sit down before falling down. I usually don’t loose consciousness fully, though in the moment I wish I would because my head is swimming and I feel nauseous. I never thought to make the fainting goat comparison though. The fainting part isn’t accurate to me but my body does nope out in stressful situations with other symptoms. Great job body.

I get why there were no skits or reenactments (couldn’t have Dan in his Calvin’s holding a pillow) good use of visuals though. The new emoji pjs on the stairs pic is a fave. My only side is Phil saying he took himself to hospital, then Dan visited a few hours later. I mean I guess it could have happened and we do know Dan brought stuff from home at one point but :sideeye:

Also it looks like he dyed his hair between the gaming vid and this one. Goodbye for now slightly more natural Phil.
bookfiend
spork
Pronouns: She/her

It was a good video and nice to see an AmazingPhil story video. I’ve been missing them more than I realised. :ribena:

That said if you’re experiencing frequent headaches and the doctors have concluded they don’t know what it is/your brain is fine it’s worth seeing if it’s your muscles or back that’s causing it. Try seeing a Chiropractor or Osteopathic Doctor.

Sometimes issues with a back muscles or spines may be affecting your head and neck muscles causing frequent headaches. Particularly as modern jobs and tech involve a lot of sitting at computers. Something we weren’t really designed for.

And given Phil’s posture, his job and knowing he experiences a lot of stress I’d recommend he try it out. :hmmm:
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Damn, so those headaches never went away. I hope he takes good care of himself. :(

The video itself was great. A perfect balance of serious story telling and comedy (his crush on Chris Hemsworth is still going strong and I'm glad) which made it a nice watch despite my obvious worry for him. Also loved him adding the very important info of Dan being in his underwear. There's only one little thing. If Phil wants to spare me from a headache, can he please go a little less hard with that brightness? I need sunglasses to watch his videos at this point and while I'm not trying to stand in the way of his Voldemort cosplay dreams, it doesn't even make him look good... Or was he trying to look sickly for dramatic effect if so good strategy sir.

I didn't want to say it at the time to avoid freaking people out, but when we first heard about Phil fainting and stuff I had some pretty nasty flashbacks to when I was a CTFxC fan and Charles fainted in the middle of the street somewhere which turned out to be because of a brain tumor. I'm so so so glad nothing like that is the case with our Philly's brain.

Anyway I'm craving toast now.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

i love amazing phil videos! it was funny and serious but mostly funny and i love the way he talks. i could genuinely listen to phil talk all day long. <3

dan in his underwear.... i almost choked

i also notice that his hair is fully black now, and it made me realise how much i like his roots showing :(

also yes phil turn down the brightness
:gayaf:
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Catallena wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:58 pm (his crush on Chris Hemsworth is still going strong and I'm glad)
Upon reading this, it kind of just slapped me in the face that Phil said he was dreaming about Chris Hemsworth. Not Thor. Chris Hemsworth.

Has he said that before? Chris Hemsworth feels more like a legit admission of a crush than Thor, which could generally be played off as like a ~fun Avengers dream~ type situation.

Damn. Look at our man go. 2018 really is something.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

ah yes a Phil video!!! Haven't watched yet, but just got online and came here to rejoice hahah
This is my reward for my over 2 hour commute home from work because of the first snowfall of the year (man I miss being a kid/teen when snow was fun instead of a massive nuisance)
ratlad
angel bean

rizzo wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:20 pm
Catallena wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:58 pm (his crush on Chris Hemsworth is still going strong and I'm glad)
Upon reading this, it kind of just slapped me in the face that Phil said he was dreaming about Chris Hemsworth. Not Thor. Chris Hemsworth.

Has he said that before? Chris Hemsworth feels more like a legit admission of a crush than Thor, which could generally be played off as like a ~fun Avengers dream~ type situation.

Damn. Look at our man go. 2018 really is something.
i know people hate when others speculate on other people's specific sexuality labels, but........ it Gay......... ok thank bye
sonicgreen
woodland creature

I liked the video, a little simpler than I was expecting but I guess he wanted to get it out quickly. And the brain scan pictures were neat, i fully snorted at 10:28 though oh my god i stan one dumb gay and i relate so hard.
snokoplasmic wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:13 pm
lilabet wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:05 pm That was good. I still think he shouldnt be having such regular headaches though.
I was happy yet surprised that we got an explanation about the headaches -- he stopped regularly mentioning them a while ago, so I had hoped that they had gone away. Three times a week? That certainly does seem like a lot, to be honest
As a chronic migraine sufferer I definitely relate to the "I've had them frequently for x amount of years, just pop an ibuprofen and get on with it" and mine are sometimes up to 3 times a week. awful, but I appreciate the update that he still has them...
Its weird to diagnose though, I still don't know what causes mine and doctor's are like "literally anything can cause headaches, sneezing too hard, laundry detergents, salt".
greenergrass
stress mushroom

I really enjoyed that. Phil's editing is on point, and his storytelling skills are getting even better. He's struck a good match these days with turning on the right enthusiasm for the camera, while staying a little more himself and chill than he used to, if that makes sense.

There were some great moments, but I think I laughed the most at the part when he was talking about the doctor leading him to a room to tell him the news, instead of just starting with the fact that everything was fine. His delivery of that was so funny.

(and of course the Dan mentions were nice too. And I don't think there has been for a long time, but each day that goes by there seems to be less and less attempt at making their flat situation make sense to anyone paying a bit of attention)
RiriPandaHeart2
phabergé

Very irrelevant and minor contribution, but I really liked the fact that the Dan plushie was behind him? It's usually both a Dan and a Phil plushie in his background. He might not have meant it like that, but I took that to mean that it was how he was incorporating Dan into the video, by showing his plushie alone. :happytears:

I'm glad this video came out because I was low-key stressing about him being sick. The past few consecutive years has been bad for me personally with loved ones getting sick, so anyone I care about going to the hospital makes me instinctively v. worried. I'm currently taking the licensure exam, so I actually shouldn't be online but I it was one thing that was lowkey niggling my mind while I was trying to hit the books. This video has at least assuaged that worry now. I didn't realize just how much they meant to me until I realized that I was worrying about Phil the way I'm worrying about my relatives. I hope they both stay healthy and happy. :ribena: :love1:
P: What are you doing?

D: I'm feeding it to you.

P: Why is it so slow?
autumnhearth
senpai

bookfiend wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:58 pm It was a good video and nice to see an AmazingPhil story video. I’ve been missing them more than I realised. :ribena:

That said if you’re experiencing frequent headaches and the doctors have concluded they don’t know what it is/your brain is fine it’s worth seeing if it’s your muscles or back that’s causing it. Try seeing a Chiropractor or Osteopathic Doctor.

Sometimes issues with a back muscles or spines may be affecting your head and neck muscles causing frequent headaches. Particularly as modern jobs and tech involve a lot of sitting at computers. Something we weren’t really designed for.

And given Phil’s posture, his job and knowing he experiences a lot of stress I’d recommend he try it out. :hmmm:
Seeing a chiropractor helped my migraines some. I often notice headaches, dizziness and nausea start out as neck pain for me.

But yeah as others have said so many triggers. Sugar, dairy, alcohol, fluorescent lighting, too much screen time. Those are some of mine and I wouldn’t be surprised if some of them are Phil’s. A headache journal and or food journal might help.

I thought that was the Dil plushie... yep it’s got green eyes.
RiriPandaHeart2
phabergé

autumnhearth wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:33 am I thought that was the Dil plushie... yep it’s got green eyes.
Ooops. nvm then. :rofl: Sorry for my brain immediately concluding it was a Dan plushie. :facepalm2: :headdesk1:
P: What are you doing?

D: I'm feeding it to you.

P: Why is it so slow?
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

My biggest takeaway from this video was that Dan and Phil really did an exceptional job on social media of playing down exactly how scary and serious this incident was while it was happening. When I imagined the ways in which things might have gone in my head, this was pretty much the worst case scenario. Dan was actually woken up in the middle of the night and found Phil lying on the floor, unable to get up, and Phil had to wait for days to find out for sure that nothing was seriously wrong with him. As far as I’m concerned, this is probably just about as scary a false alarm as you can get when you’re an adult with no children. I’m so impressed by the grace with which Dan and Phil communicated information about this situation to their audience, and I’m so glad everything turned out alright. Here are my highlights:
  • The first thing I noticed is that it looks like Phil re-dyed his hair sometime between the filming of the gaming channel video posted yesterday and the filming of this video. I find this noteworthy because, during the joint liveshow this past Sunday, Phil said that he and Dan were filming both videos on Monday.
  • [0:57] Phil sets up the story by explaining that he gets a lot of headaches. He probably gets three per week. As someone who used to get headaches fairly frequently, this sounds absolutely horrendous.
  • [1:29] Dan is mentioned for the first time. Prior to fainting, Phil was feeling hot and cold and shivery, and Dan asked him why he kept turning up the heat in their apartment.
  • [2:27] Dan is mentioned for the second time. Phil woke up at 5am after four hours of bad sleep due to a severe headache, and he had to climb a set of stairs to get to the bathroom where he and Dan (“we”) keep the ibuprofen (and other “tablets”).
  • [3:52] Phil says that the first thought that went through his head after fainting was disbelief that he was going to die in the “worst room in the house.” He says that he hates that room, and he shows a picture of it. Phil says that his second thought was about whether he was going to haunt the bathroom if he died, and the third thought was about whether his ghost would have emoji pajama bottoms. I actually laughed out loud at Phil’s description of these thoughts. He’s such a goof. :love1:
  • [4:15] Dan is mentioned for the third time. Phil remembers that Dan’s in the house, so Phil starts calling for Dan while he’s laying on the floor. Phil gives an incredible impression of Dan waking up in daze saying, “What?” and says that Dan climbed the stairs in his underwear holding a pillow to get to Phil. When Phil explains what happened, Dan starts “freaking out a bit” and asks if he should call an ambulance, but all that Phil wants is some toast.
  • [6:35] Phil talks about getting the results from a CT scan. The doctor held him in suspense while they walked from the waiting room to a different room before telling him that everything was fine. Phil was not pleased. (Which is understandable, but I think the doctor has the right policy.)
  • [7:47] Dan is mentioned for the fourth time. Phil says that he visited and brought a care pack while Phil was being held in the hospital waiting to get an MRI.
  • [10:07] Phil shows a variety of images of his brain from the MRI. He says, "It looks more like a brain than I thought it would."
  • [11:27] Phil talks about his official diagnosis: a vasovagal attack. He says that a similar incident occurred about ten years ago, and it seems that, whenever he gets really stressed about something, his blood pressure and heart rate drop, causing him to faint.
  • [12:14] Phil admits to overworking himself sometimes. He says that he sometimes stays up until 3am working. Bad Phil!
  • Phil didn’t include any merch links in the video description for me to comment on, which is especially unfortunate because he makes a big deal about a sale on tour merch. :shrug:
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Really liked the video, he tells a story very well and I laughed a lot, kept thinking, hang on, is this funny? But the way he tells it, yes. 3 headaches a week, wow, thank goodness ibuprofen works. I’m surprised he doesn’t keep it by the bed, I do and I only get headaches a few times a month. Interesting that the cause of it all was stress, though not that surprising. Amazing photo in his emoji jammies, what a pose. Appropriate that he was wearing the Papyrus tshirt. His shoulders look positively hench at that angle.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I am so pleasantly surprised to hear Phil acknowledge the 2010 fainting thing and also talk about his headaches. I've been curious for a while to know if they actually stopped at the same time he stopped talking about them on social media, but apparently not. Sucks for him, but I hope maybe this breaks the seal and he doesn't feel like talking (or even lighthearted complaining) about things like that isn't off limits anymore.

I also really agree with this:
itasca00 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:47 am My biggest takeaway from this video was that Dan and Phil really did an exceptional job on social media of playing down exactly how scary and serious this incident was while it was happening. When I imagined the ways in which things might have gone in my head, this was pretty much the worst case scenario. Dan was actually woken up in the middle of the night and found Phil lying on the floor, unable to get up, and Phil had to wait for days to find out for sure that nothing was seriously wrong with him. As far as I’m concerned, this is probably just about as scary a false alarm as you can get when you’re an adult with no children. I’m so impressed by the grace with which Dan and Phil communicated information about this situation to their audience, and I’m so glad everything turned out alright
I actually can't imagine if that happened to someone I love and we had to wait days to find out if it actually was something or not.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

I really enjoyed that video, and it was very nice to come home to after a rather stressful day (mostly consumed by a horrible headache I can currently feel coming back coincidentally ha). Like others have said, Phil is a really great story teller and I was super engaged the whole time. I'm glad my curiosity has been eased, and I also found it interesting to see him make the connection between the 2010 fainting thing, but it was definitely a really good kind of interesting to see him open up about his health like that. All in all a good video that very much satisfied the intrigue that was eating me alive over the last little bit.

Oh and great visual of Dan in his pants holding a pillow and finding Phil. (but also speaking of Dan, I'm so curious to hear what his side of it sounds like, especially considering his flare for dramatics. Though it must have been absolutely terrifying)
ratlad
angel bean

^ maybe next liveshow dan is in, he'll maybe talk about what it was like (solo or joint) i am very interested in his POV now, what did he put on phil's toast? did he butter it for him? why did he bring the pillow with him? seriously. i hope they both have a good night's sleep. xo
knq
lava lamp

Phil included so many funny and relatable moments in his story without brushing aside the seriousness of his or anyone else's health. I was really proud of him for mentioning that not everyone has access to the healthcare facilities he does just as an aside. He's a good man.

I also still feel so worried and uncertain. Like, Phil has had three headaches a week and been taking ibuprofen that often for years? I did not think you could do that. Doesn't ibuprofen damage your kidneys with long term use? (But it must be fine because he saw doctors and I'm sure they tested that, and he talked to them about his headaches so they knew that too.) And then like, the fainting twice wasn't caused by anything in his brain, so that in combination with the fact that Phil fainted when he had tonsillitis years ago suggests he has a tendency to faint when his body if fighting off a serious infection. And that would make sense if the infection he had this time was a sinus infection. But he said it was stress and he didn't focus on the sinus infection besides the antibiotics and he said he was fine but he didn't say when or if the alligator clamp headache ever went away and and and :(
obvsly
#relatable

Loved the video! But I made the mistake of scrolling through the comments and now I’m slightly worried. There’s quite a few along this line:

Apparently it’s about how a part of his brain extends into spinal canal. I checked Facebook and people with the same conditions have posted about this too. I’m glad that at least he got checked up quite thoroughly this time but maybe he should also look it up and get a second opinion? But then again I read up on it a little and saw that other than in extreme cases that require surgery, doctors would recommend less stress and enough resting which is what he was told anyway. :shrug:

Apart from what’s already been discussed here about the video, I love the fact that he mentioned PJ’s health video twice. I thought of that too while I watched Phil’s. Oh and I love the emoji pants shot. Interesting angle. Why this angle though? My mind went somewhere so maybe I should stop now... :oops: