Dan & Phil Part 79: calm down there bub

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
macquiffed
tol bean
Pronouns: she/her

Oh wow, the tickets are already out? Sucks there was no warning but that’s definitely why they’re not sold out yet, not a lot of people know because they haven’t tweeted it.
"dan and phil naked burning in a fire: the musical"
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

yeah you're right that's definitely the reason why! i hope there won't be any baclkash towards dnp because of that
:gayaf:
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

I feel a bit bad. I mean, obviously the most dedicated of fans are probably aware and have already secured their tickets, but for anyone waiting for a tweet/update... this kinda sucks?

I hope everyone's able to get the tickets they're hoping for.

Venues, man. They're assholes.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

rizzo wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:56 pm Venues, man. They're assholes.
Yes. This sort of crap irritates me a lot, people not doing a job properly and not giving a damn why they were meant to communicate basic information, assuming they even gave it that much thought. Deps and all those BBC people working overtime to just make it happen and one link in the chain lets them down. Anyway, there are loads of tickets left including some VIPs, though it doesn't look like a huge venue to start with. Some people no doubt have been keeping an eye on the venue site rather than the tour one, but ofc it's not fair. Just had a look at twitter and seen one mention of buying a VIP ticket and one mentioning the tickets being onsale, so I guess it hasn't spread far yet.
Last edited by flarequake on Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Damn, that venue really went out of its way to make everything an incredible mess 'till the end. I hope everyone will get the chance to buy the ticket they want - from what i've seen so far, not a lot of people know that tickets are out already.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Apparently not only have Dan and Phil not tweeted it, but at least as of an hour after the tickets went up it also wasn't linked from the venue site. Whoever realized they were on sale must have been just refreshing the ticketing page directly and not wanting for a go ahead from Dan and Phil or the venue.
CapriciousCrab
sad dimple

People will be pissed if the VIP tickets sell out before the guys put out an official tweet :?
Hopefully it all works out.
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

I was so excited yesterday when Dan tweeted that they were doing a liveshow in an hour because I was about to take off on an hour-long flight. Then my flight was delayed fifteen minutes, and I missed the first fifteen minutes of the liveshow. 😭 Otherwise, the timing of the liveshow was perfect because I was able to work on my timestamps on my next flight. My neighbors on the plane definitely read my screen and were disturbed by what they saw, but that's just what they get for being nosy. Anyway, here are my highlights:
  • [2:29] Dan thinks Phil is insulting him:
    P: What you could do is put a bag over your head, and I’ll draw Dan on the bag, and we’ll take a photo of that.
    D: Wow. Okay. What ya sayin’ there?
    P: Bag!
    D: Um, okay.
    P: And--
    D: Just got called a butt by Phil.
    P: I--No.
    D: Absolute margarine face over here.
  • [3:48] I like to think that it's the Haru pillow that Dan cuddles every night. :love1:
    P: A lot of people have been asking why you were carrying the pillow up the stairs when I fainted ‘cause I don’t think I explained it right in the video.
    D: I sleep holding a pillow. I woke up holding the pillow, and I didn’t let go of it.
    P: *laughs* You didn’t--Why?
    D: I think I woke up so suddenly--
    P: You were like: *imitates Dan*
    D: --and I was like, “What?! What’s--I n--I jus--I’m not really aware of what’s happening ‘cause I’m so tired, but I think I have to act quickly.” So I just ran up the stairs, and then I was like, *takes pillow* “Hello? Phil? What’s happening?”
    P: “What’s happening” And I was like--
    D: “Why the hell am I holding this?” Yeah, um.
    P: --“Why have you got a pillow?”
  • [4:26] Dan sasses the commenters on Phil’s latest video:
    P: You also get to delve inside my brain, which was quite fun.
    D: Quite disturbing--
    P: Yeah.
    D: --and also opened the gateway for all of the, um, armchair brain surgeons on YouTube to be like, “Phil, I’ve looked at your brain scan, and, with my knowledge, I can dia--”
    P: There’s nothing there!
    D: “--I can diagnose you with the following thirteen medical problems.”
    P: The h--The headline is: There is no brain. There’s just--
    D: According to your doctor--
    P: --a cave.
    D: --but what about craig2378wombat on YouTube who said you’ve got a rare genetic disease?
    P: I don’t--
    D: I feel like--
    P: --have a rare disease.
    D: --I feel like they know more than your doctor.
    P: Uh, my brain got looked at by three doctors, and they all agreed.
    D: And they’re all wrong.
    P: It was great. It was the best brain they’ve ever seen. They’re gonna cut it out and put it on a pedestal.
  • [5:20] Janice from the shop, anyone?
    D: If it’s a weekend morning, I think it’s perfectly acceptable to go shopping in your pajamas. I mean, I wouldn’t judge somebody for going shopping in their pajamas any time--
    P: No.
    D: --‘cause I’m a nice person that doesn’t judge others.
    P: Well, if you see someone, you’d be like, “Oh, they’re a bit cozy.”
    D: But you--you were like, “I wouldn’t--I wouldn’t go--“
    P: Well, I wouldn’t go in my pajamas.
    D: ‘Cause Phil was like, “I’m not going in my pajamas.” I was like, “Why? No one cares.”
    P: I feel like--
    D: You think--You think that that’s a thing?
    P: I feel like, when I go to the shop, I wanna look mildly okay.
    D: For who? For what?
    P: The checkout assistant! They don’t want to see me in my PJs.
    D: What does it matter?
    P: They’re, like, a mess.
    D: Okay.
    P: You’ve seen my pajamas, Dan.
    D: Do you think--
    P: I’ve got emoji--
    D: Okay, yeah. You--
    P: --Star Wars--
    D: Look--
    P: --Muppets.
    D: There is a difference--
    P: Gone wild.
    D: --between pajamas and Phil’s pajama collection.
    P: Exactly.
    D: Okay. But I’m saying, like: Do you think that even on a Sunday, does it make a difference? Like a Sunday morning, it’s just get some milk and some bread.
    P: You are right that a magical time happens on a Sunday morning when I think I would probably--
    D: And there were a lot of people wearing sweatpants.
    P: Sweatpants is fine, but I’m talking full on PJs is a bit much.
    D: Wow.
    P: So, I’m judging you, Dan Howell.
  • [6:31] The UK is a wild place where apparently it’s a thing to have children swim in their pajamas and/or jeans to simulate what it’s like to fall off a boat. :shrug:
  • [7:27] I think there's a lot that needs to be unpacked from this moment:
    P: Well, Abercrombie used to try and lure you in with shirtless males stood outside.
    D: I mean a lot--There’s a lot of cringe there.
    P: But that intimidated me more ‘cause I didn’t want to, like, make eye contact with them
    D: Yeah.
    P: Because I was like, I don’t wanna--I don’t wanna walk in here.
    D: You--You just weren’t cool enough for Abercrombie & Fitch back in the day.
    P: Should I have taken my shirt off, greased myself up, and walked in there with them?
    D: No, Phil. You’re on the--You’re on the right side of history is what that was.
    P: Fine.
  • [14:05] Wow, Phil could have a new career as a censor:
    D: Firstly, miracle sent down from above: We are coming to Brazil.
    P: We are comin’ to Brazil.
    D: Better frickin’ believe it.
    P: That was a “frickin’” wasn’t it?
    D: And sorry--Yeah. It was--
    P: That was close.
    D: S-S-Still a healthy 12.
    P: Oh, my God.
  • [14:20] Dan sasses the venue for the Interactive Introverts movie premiere in Brazil for not being cooperative with making the information available for everyone in a timely manner, and Phil agrees with him.
  • [17:54] Dan reveals that the liveshow is being brought to us over a tethered connection to Phil’s phone, and the liveshow stopped because Phil abruptly ran out of data and had to purchase more.
  • [19:17] Dan tells the story of the experience with his dentist described in the tweet below:
  • [20:46] Dan and Phil do some sort of version of the fist bump from Big Hero 6. Then, Phil has a suggestion to make it more dental:
    P: Should have done that. And then just remove each other’s teeth at the end.
  • [21:06] Dan says they’re going to play Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun! in the next gaming video. Phil says that something related to this video (I can’t tell for sure if he means filming or posting) is going to happen on Monday or Tuesday.
  • [21:15] Phil thinks PINOF 10 will “pretty much definitely” be in December after they get back from Brazil.
  • [21:35] Someone in the chat named Laurel asks a question, and Dan and Phil go on a tangent about the Laurel or Yanny audio thing. Dan sasses Phil for “pretending” that he heard Yanny.
  • [24:02] Dan reads in the chat that someone’s dog just threw up. As Phil lists out the top fans, Dan won’t shut up about it:
    D: Dab. You need to scoop it up, and you need to dab. And then you need to dry. And then you need to get more dab. And then dry. And just keep dabbing and drying
  • [25:31] Dan and Phil say there’s not going to be a 2019 calendar, but Phil says he might be releasing something similar. This is the thing that Phil said his hand was aching from in the last liveshow, and Dan says that it’s time related. Phil later says that it’s not an advent calendar.
  • [26:01] Dan and Phil have a disagreement over what “this Thursday” and “next Thursday” mean. Dan is totally wrong. “This Thursday” is this coming Thursday. “Next Thursday” is the Thursday after “this Thursday.” And “last Thursday” is the Thursday that most recently passed. Fight me.
  • [26:33] Dan disagrees vehemently with someone in the chat who says that Sunday is the start of the week, and Phil agrees with Dan. Dan is wrong again. Sunday is definitely the start of a new week. The only thing I don’t like about their calendar is that they put Sunday at the end of the week. Fight me harder.
  • [26:49] Dan says that having a “Dan Shop and a Phil Shop and a Dan and Phil Shop” is “inconvenient for some people,” so they’re going to combine them into one “Giga-Shop” for Christmas / the festive season. Phil says he’s releasing three or four new things. Dan says he’s releasing one or two (or three?) new things. Dan thinks he’s releasing two new things and Phil’s releasing three new things. Dan and Phil Shop is releasing one (technically two) new thing(s) too. If everything goes to plan, all this new merch will be released on Thursday.
  • [27:40] Phil reveals one of the new things he will be releasing, which is the corgi hat from this Instagram story. Apparently, Dan had quite a big say in the design of this hat.
  • [28:45] Phil admires Dan:
    P: Dan, you suit hats. There you go. Look at that. You can look like Dan.
    D: I suit hats, do I?
    P: You do! I don’t s--li--I’ll put it on, but I--I look like a--a teacher or something.
  • [29:23] Sometimes I just can't with these two. :lol:
    P: Use the code “hexagon”--
    D: Makin’ shelf space, huh?
    P: --in the checkout.
    D: See, I didn’t know that.
    P: Hexagon.
    D: That’s cool, man.
    P: It’s final days of the hexagon, so, if you wanna grab some of that for a great price--
    D: Except it’s not final days of the hexagon ‘cause when it comes out in December, we’re gonna be talking about the DVD a lot, which has a lot of hexagons.
    P: Which has lots of hexagons in it.
    D: But hexagons as a concept: It’s gonna be big in the first week of December.
    P: It is. But--
    D: If you wanna invest in hexagons--
    P: Dis--Discount code “hexagon” is only lasting for a few more days if you wanna--if you wanna grab yourself a discount.
    D: But if you are in the market for investing in shapes, then this is a great time.
    P: Stop. Uh, yeah.
    D: Take it all out of Bitcoin.
    P: What’s a hexagon?
    D: Put it into hexagons.
    P: H-E-X-A-G-O-N
    D: I mean, Google it.
    P: There you go.
    D: And while you’re there, Google, “What’s the first day of the week?”
    P: H-E-X-A-G-O-N. That’s it.
  • [32:05] Dan tries to end the liveshow, but Phil refuses. Phil asks a question about Article 13 at [32:12], and he insists on getting an answer at [32:32]. Dan capitulates, and we end up getting an extra two minutes of liveshow. :D
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Wow, that venue is a mess. I hope Depz manage to send out a tweet or something soon? Congrats to everyone who already got their tickets, I hope you'll have a blast.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
flarequake
not an airport stalker

itasca00 totally agree with you on which Thursday is which. Also the UK does swimming tests in pyjamas for safety/life-saving badges, can't remember which exactly cos I did it in about 1990 (before Dan was even born, yikes).

I wonder if the guys are holding off on tweeting cos people won't be out of school or work yet (Sao Paolo is 2 hours behind the UK, anyway) or they haven't seen the tweets or are still sorting something out.
flarequake
not an airport stalker

Guess they weren't waiting till school's out, then. Good luck, everyone!

Ack, tweet isn't showing. Fricking desktop, it's fine on mobile, don't know why it does that.
citizen_erased
truth bomb

Wait, are there places where swimming with all your clothes/shoes on isn't part of basic swimming lessons?? I've definitely had those lessons here in the Netherlands, so I didn't think anything about dan mentioning it.

Good luck to everyone in brazil trying to get tickets!
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

I have the worst memory so I can't remember my swimming lessons but it definitely didn't strike me as odd that you'd be in your clothes. How else so you practice surviving in the water in an emergency?
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
fancybum
senpai

citizen_erased wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:30 pm Wait, are there places where swimming with all your clothes/shoes on isn't part of basic swimming lessons?? I've definitely had those lessons here in the Netherlands, so I didn't think anything about dan mentioning it.
Lol I’m from Canada and did swimming after school for 5(ish?) years and never once were we made to do it fully clothed or with shoes. Although, thinking about it, I guess that kind of makes sense.. maybe. Apart from the whole.. fucking up your clothes/shoes thing...?
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

@flarequake @citizen_erased @lilabet Swimming lessons in the US are not compulsory or standardized. (They might be in some states but definitely not the state in which I grew up.) A lot of people here never actually learn how to swim because parents have to pay to have their kids take swimming lessons. I took my lessons when I was ~5-10, and talk of going overboard on a boat and drowning would have been considered far too graphic for children our age. I bet some middle or high schools do that kind of thing as a part of gym class if they have a pool, but mine didn't have a pool.

@flarequake I'm intrigued by this business about badges. Phil mentioned it in the livestream too. Who's giving out these badges and for what purpose? Do a lot of people in the UK get them?
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

itasca00 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:19 pm @flarequake @citizen_erased @lilabet Swimming lessons in the US are not compulsory or standardized. (They might be in some states but definitely not the state in which I grew up.) A lot of people here never actually learn how to swim because parents have to pay to have their kids take swimming lessons. I took my lessons when I was ~5-10, and talk of going overboard on a boat and drowning would have been considered far too graphic for children our age. I bet some middle or high schools do that kind of thing as a part of gym class if they have a pool, but mine didn't have a pool.
Can definitely confirm I never got swimming lessons because it just wasn't an expense my parents could afford. I eventually like halfway learned myself just from being in the water enough times in my life, but it's less 'swimming' and more 'in ideal conditions I can probably avoid immediate drowning but anything else and I'm fucked' level of skill.

Teaching people how to survive in the water with clothes/shoes on is pretty smart.
flarequake
not an airport stalker

I think the badges were related to a national organisation that created the tests, there's Swim England and a Swimming Teachers' Association these days, might have been different when I was a kid and just googling, there's an older one called Amateur Swimming Association. I had lessons outside of school, these days state schools do a year of lessons at the age of 9 or 10, but the kids are at all different levels cos some will had lessons elsewhere already, so they don't all necessarily get to the point of the pyjama/live-saving test.
kavat
pastel persona

In Sweden it's compulsory to learn basic swimming. We also have badges you can get for different achievements, like swimming 200m, jumping from a 5m high ledge, pick up something from the bottom of the pool etc. Swimming with clothes is also part of that. My parents also made me swim with a life vest so I'd learn what that's like (hint: it's difficult).

I enjoy the new pic Dan posted in the tweet, even if the fringe is still haunting all of us.
DryCereal
koi pond

Yeah, no. "Well meaning" or no, they've said multiple times Phil is fine, he's been checked out, and people tweeting/catasrophising and diagnosing Phil is unwarranted and unpleasant. Fair play to them for telling people to knock it the hell off.
itasca00 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:19 pm @flarequake @citizen_erased @lilabet Swimming lessons in the US are not compulsory or standardized. (They might be in some states but definitely not the state in which I grew up.) A lot of people here never actually learn how to swim because parents have to pay to have their kids take swimming lessons. I took my lessons when I was ~5-10, and talk of going overboard on a boat and drowning would have been considered far too graphic for children our age. I bet some middle or high schools do that kind of thing as a part of gym class if they have a pool, but mine didn't have a pool.

@flarequake I'm intrigued by this business about badges. Phil mentioned it in the livestream too. Who's giving out these badges and for what purpose? Do a lot of people in the UK get them?
Swimming is part of the National Curriculum throughout primary school in the UK (so to the age of 11) by the time you leave, you're supposed to be able to do various things like swim 25m, climb out of a pool unassisted, tread water for 30/60secs... I can't remember off the top of my head... ANYWAY. The badges used to be distance, i.e. if you could swin 5m, 10, 25, 50, 100, 200, 400, 800 etc etc. Nowadays, they have awards that include a variety of different strokes/skills from stage 1 through to stage 7, then it branches into more competitive aquatics like synchro, diving, polo etc.
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
LurkingTrash
woodland creature

Guys I'm so happy, I managed to get tickets for the m&g and I'm going to be seeing them in the flesh!
I was refreshing the venue website all weekend because it's a really tiny venue (it fits like 720 people max) but unfortunately I refreshed it last like 10 minutes before it went live and went about my day, if I hadn't seen someone screaming about getting tickets on twitter I would have missed my shot. And then right after they tweeted the vip sold out and the general admission is selling well too.
I found the tickets to be really cheap? like REALLY cheap. My vip ticket cost less than me buying the DVD off amazon and shipping it all the way here. The general admission ticket costs (a bit) less than the DVD without shipping and everyone walks with a dvd out of there, plus something else extra gifted for the vip people. And if you are a student you get to pay half of that? (that means A LOT of people pay half) I'm worried about this, did they forget to translate prices from dolar to real or something? Are they losing money with the event?
Anyway, I'm really happy I get to meet them, can't believe that's a little over a week from now!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

LurkingTrash wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:28 pm Guys I'm so happy, I managed to get tickets for the m&g and I'm going to be seeing them in the flesh!
I was refreshing the venue website all weekend because it's a really tiny venue (it fits like 720 people max) but unfortunately I refreshed it last like 10 minutes before it went live and went about my day, if I hadn't seen someone screaming about getting tickets on twitter I would have missed my shot. And then right after they tweeted the vip sold out and the general admission is selling well too.
I found the tickets to be really cheap? like REALLY cheap. My vip ticket cost less than me buying the DVD off amazon and shipping it all the way here. The general admission ticket costs (a bit) less than the DVD without shipping and everyone walks with a dvd out of there, plus something else extra gifted for the vip people. And if you are a student you get to pay half of that? (that means A LOT of people pay half) I'm worried about this, did they forget to translate prices from dolar to real or something? Are they losing money with the event?
Anyway, I'm really happy I get to meet them, can't believe that's a little over a week from now!
Congrats!! That's awesome!

I do think they're probably losing money on it, but I'm not sure they care - they said they asked the BBC to arrange this so it might have just been worked in as part of their promotional budget? But either way I think it just underlines the fact that Dan and Phil are doing their damnedest to honor their original intention to visit South America no matter what it (literally) costs them.
LurkingTrash
woodland creature

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:42 pm
LurkingTrash wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:28 pm Guys I'm so happy, I managed to get tickets for the m&g and I'm going to be seeing them in the flesh!
Congrats!! That's awesome!

I do think they're probably losing money on it, but I'm not sure they care - they said they asked the BBC to arrange this so it might have just been worked in as part of their promotional budget? But either way I think it just underlines the fact that Dan and Phil are doing their damnedest to honor their original intention to visit South America no matter what it (literally) costs them.
gah! I might explode from too much love for them right now.
I guess I just have to trow the extra money I saved (I fully expected the tickets to cost at minimum 2,5 times what it did) towards their merch. I hope they bring EVERYTHING
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

citizen_erased wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:30 pm Wait, are there places where swimming with all your clothes/shoes on isn't part of basic swimming lessons?? I've definitely had those lessons here in the Netherlands, so I didn't think anything about dan mentioning it.

Good luck to everyone in brazil trying to get tickets!
I'm from the US and we did the whole jump in wearing your clothes/survival swimming lesson in 7th grade so I would have been about 12 years old. I remember the idea was to jump into the pool wearing loose clothing and your bathing suit. We were meant to learn how to use our shirts and pants as flotation devices. Does anyone else remember this? I remember blowing up my long sleeve t-shirt and then tying the ends off to make a sort of floating pillow. It worked so I guess if my plane crashes I'll be okay until the sharks come... (ramble about PE in the states under the spoiler tag)

But it's true that the US doesn't have standardized PE (Physical Education) so the kinds of lessons you have would vary by state and even then by school district. I've heard square dancing in PE is big in the south; is that true?

Actually, now I'm a bit curious about what sorts of lessons are common in which states. I grew up in Michigan, but I can't think of any lesson that would have been specific to our region. We did a lot of snow-related activities at recess, but nothing special for PE.
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell
nøx
spork
Pronouns: they/them

Bub and Bear has given us some information on how we can interact with them, good for them. I hope no one uses their worry as an excuse to step all over that boundary.

I hope they manage to stream the event :>
citizen_erased
truth bomb

For me, it's so weird to hear about people not growing up with swimming lessons :shrug: I guess in the Netherlands it's just totally normal for everyone to be able to swim. Most people I know had swimming lessons (at least the A Diploma, which is basic swimming, diving through a tunnel, etc) when they were about 4 years old, and a lot of primary schools offer swimming lessons too. Mine did, I probably did the B Diploma then, which is the one where you learn to swim with your clothes on. From what I gather from Google parents do have to pay for it themselves, but I think by far most parents do it anyway, partially because it's socially expected for everyone to be able to swim and partially because we have so much water (streams, rivers, lakes, the sea, etc) everywhere that the risk of drowning is very high here. I guess it's the same reasoning in the UK.

Ah, the joys of cultural differences :ribena:

By the way, I forgot earlier that I wanted to add my little 2 cents on the health discussion: basically, I think D&P have every right to call people out. As a hypochondriac, if I had other people tell me my doctors are wrong and that I have this and this genetic defect and need to drill my skull open, I would spiral straight into a very long anxiety attack. We don't have a complete picture, we don't have a full medical history, and by far most of us do not have the medical background ourselves to be able to properly judge this. I don't think Phil would've shown the photos if the (multiple!!) doctors hadn't assured him there's nothing wrong with his brain, and to then have all these people going "they're wrong, you need help" sounds terrifying to me. I don't agree that he should've known better, because you don't actually know how people are going to react. And I really like that he was enthusiastic about his brain photos and wanted to share this cool thing that came out of a frankly terrifying situation.
congratulations!! <3 <3 <3 honestly it sounds like you got a really good deal here. A unique event, they're coming to your country especially for that one event, you get to meet them, get their dvd, AND it's all way cheaper than you expected? That sounds amazing.