Dan & Phil Part 80: You're my plinth of life

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

fancybum wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:06 pm I'd like to will into existence Phil doing a 'trying to see things without my glasses' video because Jenna's was pretty funny and I think his eyesight is worse than hers? Throw in Dan photoshopping festive pics to be horrifying and I'd be happy for that to be his vid to close out the year :epictree: (assuming another one is even coming before 2019, of course).
suddenly there is only one thing i want and need in my life :bedtime:
thank's you were great
alien
procrastinator
Pronouns: she/her

This is just something I find interesting but Rhett and Link from Good Mythical Morning also went on a tour this year (much smaller than ii though) and today they just announced a dvd of their stage show. GMM has 14 million subscribers, upload daily with videos that usually reach a million views, and have been around a little longer than DnP but yet the ii tour was sooo much bigger. I just find it so incredible that though DnP have a smaller general audience they really do have such dedicated people all over the world. I don't mean for this to come across as RL vs DP because I genuinely love GMM too but I'm just so proud of Dan and Phil and how successful they've really been over these 9+ years.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

alien wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:26 am This is just something I find interesting but Rhett and Link from Good Mythical Morning also went on a tour this year (much smaller than ii though) and today they just announced a dvd of their stage show. GMM has 14 million subscribers, upload daily with videos that usually reach a million views, and have been around a little longer than DnP but yet the ii tour was sooo much bigger. I just find it so incredible that though DnP have a smaller general audience they really do have such dedicated people all over the world. I don't mean for this to come across as RL vs DP because I genuinely love GMM too but I'm just so proud of Dan and Phil and how successful they've really been over these 9+ years.
It is a really interesting comparison. Rhett and Link also have an active (albeit smaller) fanbase - and I'd definitely say they make as many if not more homoerotic insinuations. The obvious difference would be that Rhett and Link are both vocally straight-identifying men who are married to women and have families. While I don't think this is queer baiting, it's an interesting twist to their dynamic and I think still what attracts a creative-leaning side of fandom to them. I'm not aware enough of their history to know if they've ever commented on shipping, but if anyone is I'd be interested to know if they ever had any rough patches acclimating to that or if they're just hands off and don't interact with it? I don't even go there (pls imagine that in the tone of the Mean Girls quote) but they have a quite appealing background story - friends since they were kids, college together, etc - that's just so damn ficcable. But at the same time the whole GMM structure and dynamic is very much a business, and every joint career venture is also very much a business decision and at the end of the day they go home separately.
Ataraxia25
flower crown

thedtomyp wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:38 pm Hey guys! I was just checking some statistics on Phil’s socialblade and I noticed that he had just randomly lost over 1000 subs on Friday. So I checked Dan’s page and found out that about the same amount had unsubscribed him also on the same day. Did something happen on friday (the 14th of dec) or why did so many unsub them on that exact date? I’m sad seeing them lose so many subscribers :(
isn't it because youtube did a purge of spam accounts on friday?

edit : oops! @itasca00 already answered.
:gayaf:
Ablissa
pastel persona

We're starting our first round of festive deppy watch fest cuteness in about 40 minutes!
You can join us here: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=1606
And we're watching here: https://www.rabb.it/PhandomWatch

Sorry for the constant #spon, just want to make sure everyone saw it! <3
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Just caught up on the spoiler-tagged posts about the director’s commentary, very interesting, quite a few things I hadn’t thought about. Especially @itasca00’s post on page 7 pulling the points together, I hadn’t joined any of those dots.
I was mostly living for how genuine they are throughout, all their reflections and info about the show and its staging, and Phil’s voice :faint:
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

alittledizzy wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:04 am
alien wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:26 am This is just something I find interesting but Rhett and Link from Good Mythical Morning also went on a tour this year (much smaller than ii though) and today they just announced a dvd of their stage show. GMM has 14 million subscribers, upload daily with videos that usually reach a million views, and have been around a little longer than DnP but yet the ii tour was sooo much bigger. I just find it so incredible that though DnP have a smaller general audience they really do have such dedicated people all over the world. I don't mean for this to come across as RL vs DP because I genuinely love GMM too but I'm just so proud of Dan and Phil and how successful they've really been over these 9+ years.
It is a really interesting comparison. Rhett and Link also have an active (albeit smaller) fanbase - and I'd definitely say they make as many if not more homoerotic insinuations. The obvious difference would be that Rhett and Link are both vocally straight-identifying men who are married to women and have families. While I don't think this is queer baiting, it's an interesting twist to their dynamic and I think still what attracts a creative-leaning side of fandom to them. I'm not aware enough of their history to know if they've ever commented on shipping, but if anyone is I'd be interested to know if they ever had any rough patches acclimating to that or if they're just hands off and don't interact with it? I don't even go there (pls imagine that in the tone of the Mean Girls quote) but they have a quite appealing background story - friends since they were kids, college together, etc - that's just so damn ficcable. But at the same time the whole GMM structure and dynamic is very much a business, and every joint career venture is also very much a business decision and at the end of the day they go home separately.
I love comparing RL and DR careers. RandL used to be a lot more anti shipping. Back when they were starting, living in North Carolina, they wouldn't even touch shoulders without making comments about how weird it is to touch. Now they talk about spending the rest of their collective life together, post photos of them holding hands in front of skating rinks (Rhett +Link = Rhink) make their food kiss before eating it themselves.

Some theorize something has happened and they are one big poly family now, others that they have made some major changes together and naturally have grown more committed to their friendship and their families have intertwined. I lean more towards that, their have been open about therapy, open about how they grew up in a very Deep South bubble and unlearning it.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Dan’s feeling introspective, festive edition -
Ablissa
pastel persona

Here I am with another spon! Ugh.

We're starting the second round of our festive watch fest!
https://www.rabb.it/PhandomWatch
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

Can I just say that I'm really proud of our corner of the fandom. Everyone is so positive and creative and there's never any drama or hate even when we disagree on things.

From the survey, watch parties, and fic club, to supporting the birthday drives. Thank you for making this a place I want to be but also a nice fandom to hang out in.

Maybe it's just the people I follow or that I'm mostly here but overall my time in the fandom this year has been great so thank you. :platonic: :happytears: :6-year-old dan:
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
thestigdrivesamini
sad dimple

Really hoping for a liveshow today! I wanna hear about their thoughts on the golf video and (hopefully) hints on a festive video. Still holding out for baking!
BuffyFiona
sofa crease

thestigdrivesamini wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:28 pm Really hoping for a liveshow today! I wanna hear about their thoughts on the golf video and (hopefully) hints on a festive video. Still holding out for baking!
Glad I'm not the only one secretly holding out for another liveshow by the tree today (or maybe tomorrow?) :epictree: :festivedeppy:

@lilabet I was just thinking about this! Thank you for helping to organize such a lovely opportunity for the community to make a positive impact!!!! <3 :shyhug:
Ataraxia25
flower crown

i agree with @lilabet
I don't know if it's because of the festive season but I'm emotional and i love you all and you really make my fandom experience better. Idb is really my favourite place on the internet. <3
:gayaf:
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

lilabet wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:26 pm Can I just say that I'm really proud of our corner of the fandom. Everyone is so positive and creative and there's never any drama or hate even when we disagree on things.

From the survey, watch parties, and fic club, to supporting the birthday drives. Thank you for making this a place I want to be but also a nice fandom to hang out in.

Maybe it's just the people I follow or that I'm mostly here but overall my time in the fandom this year has been great so thank you. :platonic: :happytears: :6-year-old dan:
agreed ^ im pretty glad i found this place after jumping back into the phandom cz boi tumblr was a scary place and i didnt have anyone else back then, outside of that hellsite, to talk to about dnp.

also thisll be my first idb christmas, cheers lads :platonic: :epictree:
"you are next to me in my life"
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

lesterchuu
philussy

@obsessivelymoody wow 2 minutes, youre fast lol

also, ohmygod
BuffyFiona
sofa crease

Ummmmm I'm 1 minute in and I'm already having a meltdown, anyone else having a meltdown???????

edit: JUST SAW THEY WROTE "Subscribe for a free lemon" IN THE DESCRIPTION?????? I'M SCARED TO WATCH THIS NOW!!! WHAT IS GOING ON???
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

I cannot believe.... that..... is a video..... I just took in.... with my eyes and ears.
hello9217
flower crown

yes please give me dan and and phil trying to decide what boy they want to go on a date with. it was so cuuuutteee. also as soon as i saw bobby i was like, oh he's dan's type of guy, and i feel like in the first one phil wanted to say that he was dan's type without actually saying it. <3
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

i was just murdered by that video they really ending twentygayteen with a bang
also tag yourself i am 100% richard.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

ratlad wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:12 am i was just murdered by that video they really ending twentygayteen with a bang
we're all richard lbr here
lesterchuu
philussy

rizzo wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:13 am
ratlad wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:12 am i was just murdered by that video they really ending twentygayteen with a bang
we're all richard lbr here
i second this
Ablissa
pastel persona

Oh I can't remember laughing at a video this much in ages. Wow. They really want us all to know their preference and don't even try to hide how fond they are of each other. Ugh.
Low key hoped Dan's dream boy would be Richard because that's basically Phil minus the tuba lmao. Omg this video was such a gem, I need to go watch it again.

Edit because I had a thought - oh the irony of Dan saying like "it's just a teenage thing, you're not choosing your future husband". I mean, baby, you chose your future husband when you were 18.
Last edited by Ablissa on Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

This video was so fun. Dan was so fond when Phil was talking about his prom at the beginning - I loved that.

Phil chose himself to date and dan chose a Phil/dan hybrid.
I think other than the muscles Phil is also very Bobby-like too
-rich kid
-slightly innocent air
-nudist camp (naked fortnite)
-wants to be a secret agent

I also loved how offended Phil seemed when dan was trying to explain why he picked Bobby. This video was a 10/10
BuffyFiona
sofa crease

Currently in a complete state of shock, I need 24 business hours to properly process what I just witnessed.

However, Phil saying that Bobby is "just a little jaffa cake" at 13:35 was the cutest thing in my life. :prideheart: