Dan & Phil Part 80: You're my plinth of life

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
sonicgreen
woodland creature

MythicalPinkTrashCan wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:14 pm
alien wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:49 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:33 pm
I also love this reply. I know it's something people have been asking for for ages.
I hope he follows through on it.
omg this makes me so happy!! I really hope he follows through with it because that would be such a blessing! I really wish they could have closed captioned the directors commentary so if anyone transcribes it I hope it gets brought here.
A tiny part of me doesnt believe they will actually do it. The II DVD captions are kinda shit and it's obvious no one did a final check on them before it went out. Lots of tiny errors that someone even a little bit involved with DP would have caught quickly.
That’s disappointing to learn, especially when dnp mentioned they had a hand in the closed captioning for the film... how frustrating.
And yes relying on the viewers to caption things isn’t the best
especially when they add color commentary :roll:
Lonian wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:19 am Is anyone else here because they're boycotting Tumblr in protest?
i am, though i doubt it will change anything. i’m petty and want to punish the site for a day :lol:
alien
procrastinator
Pronouns: she/her

I also love this reply. I know it's something people have been asking for for ages.
omg this makes me so happy!! I really hope he follows through with it because that would be such a blessing! I really wish they could have closed captioned the directors commentary so if anyone transcribes it I hope it gets brought here.
A tiny part of me doesnt believe they will actually do it. The II DVD captions are kinda shit and it's obvious no one did a final check on them before it went out. Lots of tiny errors that someone even a little bit involved with DP would have caught quickly.
that was a fun rollercoaster lol but genuinely thanks for bringing me back to reality that there’s a good chance it won’t happen. I was excited to get my dvd because I saw ii live but it was impossible to hear so I was counting on the dvd for captions (still excited to get my dvd regardless though).
glitterintheair
phillluminati

rizzo wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:00 pm The last 24 hours are really fucking with me on a molecular level.

@idk's tweet about how they played this game in 2012 made me realize this wasn't just like a recent board game night with Bryony that inspired them to chuck this onto the gaming channel. Instead, they made the decision - this festive 2018 holiday season - to play this game on their gaming channel that they've known about for ages. They actively chose to go Full Male Attraction on December 16, 2018.

Then suddenly it's morning on the 17th and we discover that Dan's acknowledging comments that he and Phil should date.

This is going somewhere.

Wake up, sheeple!!
I wanna know what went behind the decision of playing this game. I need to know how they came up with the idea. Also, correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't they say in the liveshow that there were gonna be only two dapg videos before dilmas? Was this video a spur of the moment decision? If so, why? :sherlock: Anyway, you bet i am hyped for dilmas now.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Yeah I think they did say there were only going to be 2 videos so either they did have a plan/they are wanting to lead us somewhere or they made this video because they uploaded Santa banter earlier than expected and wanted a way to fill the gap. Or maybe it was both reasons
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

alien wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:27 pm
that was a fun rollercoaster lol but genuinely thanks for bringing me back to reality that there’s a good chance it won’t happen. I was excited to get my dvd because I saw ii live but it was impossible to hear so I was counting on the dvd for captions (still excited to get my dvd regardless though).
I think the one thing to stay optimistic about is that Dan has to know mentioning something publicly once means he'll be asked about it a million times more. Hopefully he'll try to avoid the pressure and just actually make a move and hire a company to do captions/translations/etc.
knq
lava lamp

It’s ‘bold’ because there’s no anonyminity on Facebook. Dan reinforces that by typing her name in his reply. He’s talked before about how people act differently on different platforms, Facebook being the most tame.

I really like Dan’s comment about hiring someone to do subtitles in the ‘knew’ year. I hope they do that!
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

HELLO IM WRITING THIS FROM THE GRAVE
im so sad i missed the gay party last night!
I spent the whole day anxious about what i missed out and BOY
I haven't read all you posts, i didn't want any spoilers and god three more pages while i was gone? You chatty lot!

what a video! I cant believe this! A part of me is like : it was peak gay and the other part of me is like.... unfazed!
They were so cute and so gay! And i thought the video was genuinely funny, I feel like i hadn't laughed like that for a long time!
Also it was quite original I think to play an old boardgame!
They were both cute, and both gay, how can anyone think these boys are straight ?
I loved it... just loved it!
I'm off to read your posts now!

PS : Dan totally calls Phil 'babe', it's now confirmed!
:gayaf:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I just remembered that they snuck this into the #spon and how damn cute is that?

flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Ooh, thanks for posting that, bigger and clearer than screenshotting the video. It’s a lovely photo, makes me laugh that the cardboard pair are smaller than them this time.

Phil’s been Philling -
hello9217
flower crown

^^^^ oh i didn't even notice that they were posing with each others cardboard cut outs. that is so so cute.
parallel
phabergé

I just wanna say that:

a. I got a heart attack when I saw that notification
b. That video was good for the soul. I feel emotionally, spiritually, physically, everythingly satiated.
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

relatable ass tweet. if i step outside in my boxers to fetch a loaf of bread from my freezer, the last thing i need is Mr. Samson asking me what's up. i will not tell you what is Up, Jim. i will run inside and not have my loaf of bread for another 2 hours.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
bifaeri
tol bean

Does anyone know how long is takes for subtitles to be reviewed and approved?
thestigdrivesamini
sad dimple

The new video was all kinds of wonderful and was a fantastic surprise!! :festivedeppy:

Also, Dan’s latest twitter like about Bruce Springsteen and masculinity is amazing and beautiful :happytears:
fancybum
senpai

Aw I loved that video, it was super fun :love2: . I was thinking I'd like to see them play it again with other people but then couldn't think of anybody I'd actually enjoy watching them play it with? Like tomska, for example, would be very funny playing it with his own group, but with D&P I think the vibe would be weird. Same with PJ. Like it only works with just the two of them; adding literally anybody else to the mix (except probably Bryony, but that ain't happening) would be weird vibe elephant in the room city. Or my imagination is just very limited and it would be completely fine, that's also a possibility. Anyway, loved it. I still find it so weird they didn't at least give a pity ending to Dream Daddy - like 15 mins to just pick one and end the series properly, even if they weren't into it or the views sucked (nm the views look fine) or whatever. Lack of completion bothers me, but oh well.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
citizen_erased
truth bomb

really random question I've been wondering about: is it just my computer that says the II dvd is still up for pre-order? Or have they really still not updated the website?
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Yeah, all three Dan and Phil shops have the red version with the pins listed still saying pre-order, seems just the blue one has gone.
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

alien wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:27 pm
I dont have access to the dvd right now, but it was tiny things like "pan" instead if Phan. So they are still hella helpful but still a little bit disappointing.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Wow, come on, Dan. Auntie Roz didn't send you that hat for you to not spon it for her. Get your shit together, man.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Life can be so rude, not giving me the time and opportunity to write a post about That Video. Pretty much everything has already been said, but I just wanna say that it was fucking glorious. Add it to the list of videos that made 2018 such a great year for us and for them. They're so happy and comfortable, and that makes me happy that I can live in a universe where Dan and Phil play a game where they gotta pick who the other would date based on... experiences. Ahum.

Also the difference between that video and the clip from 2012 is kinda mind blowing? At one point in my life I accepted all of that as normal. That's just who they were and how they reacted to things like that. :snow:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
alien
procrastinator

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:37 pm Wow, come on, Dan. Auntie Roz didn't send you that hat for you to not spon it for her. Get your shit together, man.
her using the kiss emoji is so cute. what a family :love2: :happytears:
lurker
janice from the shop

just spent a full minute wondering what sort of conversation "my soul" - "need your hat" was supposed to be :rofl:

i guess dan simply captioning something "my soul" seemed plausible enough but "need your hat" seemed vaguely threatening
thank's you were great
sugar
eclipse shirt

i’ve decided that if they don’t do a dilmas video in their hats they’ll be letting both me and auntie roz down. give the people what they want, boys.
Ablissa
pastel persona

So apparently, the preorders of II in Australia won't arrive before Christmas and IRL is compensating people with a $15 giftcard.
I'm happy to see they're doing this - while for me it wouldn't make up for the delay (since I guess a lot of people hoped to watch it over Christmas break), it's still a nice gesture and a good idea.
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

From the replies to this tweet (does anyone have a copy of the emailed newsletter?), it sounds like everyone who ordered from the Australian shop is getting a gift card because their DVDs aren't going to arrive by Christmas. I wonder if they'll do the same thing in the US (and elsewhere if relevant). My DVD still hasn't shipped, and I don't think there's a prayer in the world that it'll arrive by Christmas at this point.

I'm also curious to see what this means for the Twitter watch party. I'm somewhat inclined to believe that they're still going to do it this week, but maybe the week between Christmas and New Year is also an option?

Edit: @Ablissa came through with a screenshot of the newsletter! My other questions above still stand.
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?