Dan & Phil Part 80: You're my plinth of life

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
sugar
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: they/them

i can't see them getting rid of the second flat unless they're moving really soon. otherwise we literally wouldn't have any content with them getting rid of the baking kitchen, dapg room, ap room, and dinof room.

one thing i want to focus on that isn't whats making me sad: tell me everyone else picked up on saying he wasn't going to film in front of "a bed" anymore instead of "my bed". i don't think he's even trying to pretend he sleeps in there anymore. it's nice.
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

I love the gaming channel but more than anything I loved their shared dynamic. They've had shared content from the beginning with the super amazing project, radio show, & then Dan and Phil Games. I just want something to replace it because I have a feeling this will be a hiatus that isn't short. I'd love for them to come back, maybe rebrand it just to Dan and Phil but I'm going to keep my expectations low so I'm not disappointed.
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
SquishPhan
capita£ester
Pronouns: she/her

I miss a ls and this is what I came back to? I am shocked to be honest. And am not really sure what to think, though I am for sure sad about the hiatus of the gaming channel. :snow:
intoapuddle
spork

I'm not too bothered about what they said, but it makes me feel weird how they announced it.

PINOF means a lot to many people so that sucks. I agree with them that it was good to end it on a high. I like those videos but I'm not too bummed about it not coming back.

The gaming channel hiatus is worse imo. Not for the fact that it's on hiatus, rather the "it could be six month, five years, who knows?" as if they're seriously considering ending it now. They've ended two gaming series this month and it wouldn't surprise me if Dilmas turns into wrapping everything up neatly so that they can leave it at that if they want to or come back to it just as well if they decide to keep going. So it's a perfect opportunity for them to stop posting there.

Then again, I like the sound of "we're doing all this in order to make bigger and better things for you". It's an ambiguous thing to get excited for since they're so "no spoilers" but I trust them with that. Just. Please make the gaming channel better instead of ending it. Hah.
hello9217
flower crown

Well that was a rollercoaster. I don't actually think dnpgames is coming back. Like they always do month long hiatuses after christmas so their excuse was kind of poor, and just that an excuse. I'm like proper sad right now.

On a more uplifting note. I'm so so so happy that phil is not filming in his set anymore. That's what we call growth. Also they shut down the moving question but did not say no to the dog question so....mayhaps that will be a thing. And dan is going up north with phil.

I'm okay with pink ending especially if we get more mukbangs but yeah i'm sad :cry:
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

Honestly, I'm gonna be optimistic as heck here:

1) They're really excited about trying out new things in 2019 and wanted to give all their traditions a good send up before they start the new things.
2) We're getting PINOF10 bloopers (which is legitimately one of the longest running collab traditions on all of youtube so let's take that)
3) They're not moving out; in fact they may be getting rid of the second flat (if that's a thing cough).
4) Everything is "we" - very little was just one of them or the other. We is their career, everything.
5) DINOF at beginning of year, Dan really was fairly confident
6) They aren't going to stop doing stuff together - literally all of their liveshows have been joint, 90% of the content on phil's channel has been joint. 25% of Dan's 4 videos featured Phil.

Okay, I'm gonna go to my therapy appointment and NOT talk about this lol since it's irrelevant to my actual work lol.
double dimple
smol bean

My heart is aching for so many reasons. They both really seemed to be emphasising that the gaming channel break is something that they need for their own wellbeing and that makes me happy that they're making that their priority. But I'm also feeling sad because the gaming channel is our most regular access to them and (especially with the recent trio of such fantastic gaming videos) it's really going to create a void. In a way, I find the break on the gaming channel more upsetting than the end of pinof, simply because gaming was so much more frequent. But they seemed happy in that ls and that's important, and I loved the openness of us being told that dan is going to visit phil's family, phil wants to change his background etc.

2019 is going to be interesting for sure.

edit to add: I wonder if we'll be getting liveshows next year? joint ones? solo ones?
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Interesting. I felt an anxious blood cold/tingle when they said that was the last Pinof, though I don’t mind at all and am with them on ending on a high and not letting things go stale, but the “some people guessed cos we hinted” attitude had me “you did, did you? Well, hint harder cos we all thought that was a cute reminiscence for the 10th one”. I was annoyed, but they do seem to be getting the message that we just want to fricking well know. At least the gaming channel hiatus was actually a heads up, no, it wouldn’t do if you just did nothing in January and didn’t say. Sheesh.

I’m intrigued by the idea that it could be due to lack of second flat, I’m trying to think where in the first flat they could set up other gaming stuff. If their new DnP content was as good then I don’t know that I’d miss gaming as the theme, so many games are daft as hell, but then be careful what you wish for, a lot of those daft games generate good bants. Good for Phil to both change up his space and to tell us, if he is actually sharing the moon room then that room’s not used to its full capacity with one video every two weeks or so, or whatever his reasons are, like been using a blue and green bed for 10 years, maybe now’s the time.

They’ve had a big year and creative burnout is no good for anyone. Maybe they’ve had a boost of energy to make such good videos this week because they knew they were taking a break.

Considering how they dropped the Pinof news, I thought they pulled it back pretty well, went on to calmer topics and ended on a nice note. Good solid “no” to moving too. I haven’t seen any hint of that except speculation on here for months, I mean, maybe they will by the end of 2019, but I can’t twist my brain second-guessing.

For the love of being professional millionaire YouTubers, though, sort out the fricking Internet connection.

Agree with it being hilariously hypocritical of Dan to tell Phil a 4th coat is unnecessary, though I also agree with Dan that the blue one suits Phil better. His old galaxy jacket was the best, though, fight me.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

"A nice festive liveshow" Phil tweeted. Right. Jesus.
Alright, I'll say I'm not too sad about Pinof ending. 10 is a good number to stop, especially since Phil is gonna change his filming background and there's no way they can keep making that series (veeery intrigued to find out his new filming set btw).
I'm definitely sadder about dapg. I guess it makes sense for it to go on hiatus but i am anxious because it's the channel where we get the most joint content and content in general. I wonder if they have plans for new projects, already. I just want them to keep making content more or less regularly, you know.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
bluntedclaws
rainbow nerd

My guesses/hopes are maybe one or more of these:
They're gonna start some kind of "Dan and Phil Collab." channel that isn't just games so Phil can have the Amazingphil channel back. I think it should be called "Dan and Phil Try New Things."
They're going to start a podcast
They're going back to Radio1
They have something else in the works with the BBC that they can't tell us about yet. (They've been working with the BBC quite a bit recently)
Sorry if I say something wrong. My first language is sarcasm. I've never really learned English
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

bluntedclaws wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:13 pm My guesses/hopes are maybe one or more of these:
They're gonna start some kind of "Dan and Phil Collab." channel that isn't just games so Phil can have the Amazingphil channel back. I think it should be called "Dan and Phil Try New Things."
They're going to start a podcast
They're going back to Radio1
They have something else in the works with the BBC that they can't tell us about yet. (They've been working with the BBC quite a bit recently)
Can I have all of this? Especially #1 - I don't even like video games, I just like deppy, so that's my fav.

(Also I work in radio/podcasts so I want #2 + #3.)
bifaeri
tol bean

alien wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:56 pm Also I saw people on tumblr say they're moving but thought I heard Dan say they weren't so what was actually said??? It's so frustrating. I hope that the liveshow gets uploaded somewhere where you can actually understand clearly what they've said.
People on tumblr were posting live as the ls was still going on so when they mentioned the end of pinof and the gaming channel break and Phil no longer using the AP room, people immediately assumed that they were moving (which is actually a very logical assumption) and made posts about it but then someone asked dnp in the chat and they said no. The show was really glitchy though but I'm sure someone would make timestamps soon and other people would contribute to it if anything is missing from it. That is one thing the phandom does really well lol
knq
lava lamp

My day is still rough and that was A Lot. As a fellow human being I am happy for them. I get the sense they are putting aside their perception of "what the people want" to focus on what they both need and want in their lives. I support that. As a fan I'm gonna be sad as fuck if it turns out that what they need and want is to stop sharing their lives with and making content for the internet.

Also Phil thinking he'd communicated that was the last pinof without actually saying it? That is not how communication works Phil I know you know better. jfc
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

i definitely think the filming flat is not theirs anymore and that's why phil is moving location and dapg is on a haitus (what if it makes a comeback as the super amazing project ......i just got chills, yuck.)
i'm trying to not lash out or panic or do something stupid. so weird y'all were talking about theories before the ls and then they hit us with this brick.
also– if phil had his own bedroom in the living flat, he could easily just start filming there. but he specifically mentioned not wanting to film "in front of A bed" so...........lol.... unless he's hiding a bunch of yodeling pickles in his real bedroom, then i don't think it exists.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
snokoplasmic
procrastinator

snokoplasmic wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:00 pm So I guess now that they've finally given the people what they want, they're now gonna give the people what Dan and Phil want... and I couldn't be happier for them, tbh.
If they want time off to think about what direction they want to take the gaming channel and want to end old traditions so that they can start making new traditions, I cannot convey how much I support them.
Like, I'm kind of really sad that we won't be getting gaming videos, and yes my jaw did actually drop when they said that this was the last PINOF, but, like they've said, they're not going anywhere. They're just taking some time off, and it sure does sound like they have/are making plans for 2019. (maybe doing some life things wink wink?)
I hope no one minds if I quote my own post, but I just wanted to add on to this, about the gaming channel, I actually do fully believe them that it's going on a hiatus and they'll be back when they're ready. I've seen some say that they think they're just saying "hiatus" to sugarcoat the fact that they're not gonna come back to it, but with all the bombs they dropped this liveshow, I don't think that if they truly were ending the gaming channel they would hold back from telling us, while being 100% honest and pretty transparent about everything else. They've wrapped everything up neatly on the channel, but I believe them that it's for the hiatus, not for the end.
firsttimeposter
living flop

I don’t know if it’s just because I’ve been rubbishy for some days, but this liveshow was a highlight of my week, even considering the circumstances lmao. they were so sweet and fun, and even though the lag was annoying, it still made me smile.

I appreciate them taking a break to pursue creativeness on the gaming channel, but oh am I gonna miss it! I’m also wondering where their content will be? when will they do joint things if not the gaming videos. I really thought these joint liveshows would end with 2018 ending (and the whole tour thing), but now I really hope they continue on with some weekly joint banter.
Ablissa
pastel persona

I'm really buying this "lease is up on the gaming flat" theory. But then what about their main flat? Don't both leases end at the same time?
I'm not buying the "we're not moving", to be honest. This might be my wishful thinking, but with everything else they said and the general ~vibe they're giving us for 2019, I feel like they will move. Am I delusional?

I'm also of the opinion that the gaming channel will come back, although I feel like it might take longer than a month. I'm guessing at least February, and don't quote me on that. I wonder what other content they'll give us until then though. And oh gosh, I'm so excited to see what Dan's first video after the hiatus will be. I have a feeling it's going to be meaningful.

Bring it on, 2019. I'm calming down and more excited now.
(I don't mind PINOF ending. I feel like we will get other, more fitting for them stuff now)
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

Also, I'll wait for someone to reupload it to check (it was SO laggy) but I'm 50% sure Phil referred to his background as a "set". Like...boy knows we know it's not his real room.

Also, I totally understand want to not film on a bed anymore when you're 32 years old - almost all the early vloggers who filmed in their rooms have moved to different backgrounds as they've grown/no longer live in their parent's house or a dorm, but Phil has acknowledged changing things is hard for him, and clearly he puts a lot of emphasis on consistent branding for AP - down to the duvet and the hair. So honestly, in addition to whatever might be going on for the 2!Flats theory, he also was overdue for a change.

I hope 2019 is the gayest, most fabulous, most creatively fulfilling year of DNP yet. I can't wait for it.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I also feel like there are huge changes and I'm on board with the filming flat no longer being a thing. I went through a lot of emotions during the ls but I actually feel relieved that they were upfront about their intentions. I don't want to lose the gaming channel but if it's healthier for them to not have to put in that work then I'm glad they are taking a break. I also got the feeling that they are making their personal lives the focus of next year and honestly as demon as this sounds if they decided to completely leave youtube at some point I'd be okay if I knew they were leaving together and that all of this was just a build up to them being able to say they were together and live their lives in the open.

but anyway, this is the first time in a long time that i feel like I'm going to look at sim's videos fondly and I am still holding out hope for the bloopers. Pinof may be over but I don't think they can really completely shut it down without giving us those...
lilabet
philussy

Ablissa wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:31 pm I'm really buying this "lease is up on the gaming flat" theory. But then what about their main flat? Don't both leases end at the same time?
I'm not buying the "we're not moving", to be honest. This might be my wishful thinking, but with everything else they said and the general ~vibe they're giving us for 2019, I feel like they will move. Am I delusional?

I'm also of the opinion that the gaming channel will come back, although I feel like it might take longer than a month. I'm guessing at least February, and don't quote me on that. I wonder what other content they'll give us until then though. And oh gosh, I'm so excited to see what Dan's first video after the hiatus will be. I have a feeling it's going to be meaningful.

Bring it on, 2019. I'm calming down and more excited now.
(I don't mind PINOF ending. I feel like we will get other, more fitting for them stuff now)
I'm assuming the leases are held by different people and would come up for annual review. Even if they are held by the same person they would just sign for the flat but not the filming flat.
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

For anyone who wants to pick apart the wording - tried my best through the glitches.

D; Although, I feel like there is something we should mention.
P: Oh yes.
D: Probably in a liveshow.
P: I think it'd be good to like - pre, like. Tell you.
D: And it allows us to be more conversational than just dramatic.
P: Yes.
D: And some of you probably already guessed because of the Dan vs. Phil video-
P: Yeah.
D: But after Dilmas we are going on break from Dan and Phil Games. This is just a creative think about what we want to do next. It's not like a - a life thing.
P: What did I say? It's like a hiatus.
D: Well, okay, Phil made a whole inappropriate joke-
P: You'll see that in the video.
D: But it's like I said on my, my tumblr post. It's like we're just stopping the train for a minute so we can have a think about where the train is going.
P: It's a pause. We're pausing the train.
D: Actually, I didn't say that on tumblr.
P: No.
D: But that - that's actually an amazing metaphor and I wish I did, so I'm gonna take credit for that.
[they talk about it glitching as they were talking]

D: We're taking a pause on uploading to DAPG for a bit.
D: But there's no plan.
D: It could just - and this is just for us to have a - it's just to stop the ongoing commitment i order to have an assessment.
P: Yes.
D: It could be three weeks. It could be six months. It could be fifty two years.
P: Just, we wanna-
D: We haven't made a decision.
P: We just want to have a think about what we're gonna do.
D: It's just - instead of us just uploading Dilmas and then-
P: Disappearing
D: Nothing. And then on January 30th you're like, did ya'll forget the password? So.
D: Don't worry.
P: We want a bit of a creative break.
D: We're not disappearing from the internet.
liola
rankussy

Yeah now that i'm calming down, I think 2019 is gonna bring personal change our way. I know no one wants to say it, but I wouldn't be surprised if 2019 was the year they made their relationship public. There I said it bring the pitchforks
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
Ablissa
pastel persona

liola wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:44 pm Yeah now that i'm calming down, I think 2019 is gonna bring personal change our way. I know no one wants to say it, but I wouldn't be surprised if 2019 was the year they made their relationship public. There I said it bring the pitchforks
That's the exact vibe I'm getting as well and I'm not ashamed of it. I can't even put my finger on why I think so, although I could make a long, boring list of things that add up to it. But yeah.
It's also worth noting that for most of us, their relationship already is obvious. But I feel like 2019 will bring something that will leave no one doubting at all.
pearshaped34
morning quiff

I'm fine with them ending PINOF on 10 but disappointed about the gaming channel. I wouldn't care so much if I thought they were just taking a break but I feel like they may be easing us in to the fact the gaming channel is dead by calling it a hiatus. Or at the very least they themselves are unsure if they'll want to go back to it.

However I am quite interested in what that means for the future because the gaming channel is surely their biggest money maker considering how often they post on their main channels. They are bound to have something else on the horizon if they getting rid of gaming.
Ablissa wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:31 pm I'm really buying this "lease is up on the gaming flat" theory. But then what about their main flat? Don't both leases end at the same time?
They might not be ready to move so renewed their lease on the main flat but decided to drop the gaming flat. I mean if the point of this flat was to separate life and work I kind of feel like they failed at that and it's just an unnecessary expense.
snokoplasmic wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:26 pm I hope no one minds if I quote my own post, but I just wanted to add on to this, about the gaming channel, I actually do fully believe them that it's going on a hiatus and they'll be back when they're ready. I've seen some say that they think they're just saying "hiatus" to sugarcoat the fact that they're not gonna come back to it, but with all the bombs they dropped this liveshow, I don't think that if they truly were ending the gaming channel they would hold back from telling us, while being 100% honest and pretty transparent about everything else. They've wrapped everything up neatly on the channel, but I believe them that it's for the hiatus, not for the end.
But on the other side of the coin if it's definitely coming back why not clearly state this so there is no speculation or doubt? With all the bombs they dropped in the LS if they fully intend to bring the gaming channel back I don't know why they wouldn't just say this.
lilabet
philussy

pearshaped34 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:50 pm I'm fine with them ending PINOF on 10 but disappointed about the gaming channel. I wouldn't care so much if I thought they were just taking a break but I feel like they may be easing us in to the fact the gaming channel is dead by calling it a hiatus. Or at the very least they themselves are unsure if they'll want to go back to it.

However I am quite interested in what that means for the future because the gaming channel is surely their biggest money maker considering how often the post on their main channels. They are bound to have something else on the horizon if they getting rid of gaming.
They might not be ready to move so renewed their lease on the main flat but decided to drop the gaming flat. I mean if the point of this flat was to separate life and work I kind of feel like they failed at that and it's just an unnecessary expense.
snokoplasmic wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:26 pm I hope no one minds if I quote my own post, but I just wanted to add on to this, about the gaming channel, I actually do fully believe them that it's going on a hiatus and they'll be back when they're ready. I've seen some say that they think they're just saying "hiatus" to sugarcoat the fact that they're not gonna come back to it, but with all the bombs they dropped this liveshow, I don't think that if they truly were ending the gaming channel they would hold back from telling us, while being 100% honest and pretty transparent about everything else. They've wrapped everything up neatly on the channel, but I believe them that it's for the hiatus, not for the end.
But on the other side of the coin if it's definitely coming back why not clearly state this so there is no speculation or doubt? With all the bombs they dropped in the LS if they fully intend to bring the gaming channel back I don't know why they wouldn't just say this.
Hmm I agree but maybe they have a project in the works that hasn't been finally approved or they don't know how much time it'll take up so they aren't sure when and how to fit in be gaming channel? Just thinking of positives.
Phandom Gives