Dan & Phil Part 80: You're my plinth of life

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

Ablissa wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:49 pm
liola wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:44 pm Yeah now that i'm calming down, I think 2019 is gonna bring personal change our way. I know no one wants to say it, but I wouldn't be surprised if 2019 was the year they made their relationship public. There I said it bring the pitchforks
That's the exact vibe I'm getting as well and I'm not ashamed of it. I can't even put my finger on why I think so, although I could make a long, boring list of things that add up to it. But yeah.
It's also worth noting that for most of us, their relationship already is obvious. But I feel like 2019 will bring something that will leave no one doubting at all.
You know what I really love? This:
This is just a creative think about what we want to do next. It’s not like a - a life thing.
Have they ever come out and addressed a change like this by saying right out of the gate that it's not a life thing? We know from 2017 and moving being about 'life things' that it's a chosen phrasing for when they're talking about the two of them together. I just feel really fond of them for feeling comfortable saying that, because obviously it was to reassure us but there had to be a comfort level in place for Dan especially to be the one to go there with it and nix that concern before it could even be a thing.

And I also see that as a sign that 2019 could be even more boldly about 'life things' - whether it's any kind of announcement or not (I still lean toward not) or moving (still a possibility imo) or just them being even more open in day to day ways.
sugar
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: they/them

Im_new_here wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:34 pm Also, I'll wait for someone to reupload it to check (it was SO laggy) but I'm 50% sure Phil referred to his background as a "set". Like...boy knows we know it's not his real room.

Also, I totally understand want to not film on a bed anymore when you're 32 years old - almost all the early vloggers who filmed in their rooms have moved to different backgrounds as they've grown/no longer live in their parent's house or a dorm, but Phil has acknowledged changing things is hard for him, and clearly he puts a lot of emphasis on consistent branding for AP - down to the duvet and the hair. So honestly, in addition to whatever might be going on for the 2!Flats theory, he also was overdue for a change.

I hope 2019 is the gayest, most fabulous, most creatively fulfilling year of DNP yet. I can't wait for it.
for the first part, i definitely didn't hear him refer to it as a set. he did call it "a bed" as opposed to anything with more personal attachment. like HIS bed, for example. i think what he did say was transparent enough anyway.

and i've come to my own personal conclusion that phil kept the bed solely for the purpose of pinof with the intention to do away with it once pinof was completed. it wouldn't have been pinof if it wasn't on the amazingphil bedspread, you know? but now he can turn that room into something more fitting to current phil, and for that i'm excited!
Amiaw
interactive introvert

lilabet wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:53 pm
pearshaped34 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:50 pm I'm fine with them ending PINOF on 10 but disappointed about the gaming channel. I wouldn't care so much if I thought they were just taking a break but I feel like they may be easing us in to the fact the gaming channel is dead by calling it a hiatus. Or at the very least they themselves are unsure if they'll want to go back to it.

However I am quite interested in what that means for the future because the gaming channel is surely their biggest money maker considering how often the post on their main channels. They are bound to have something else on the horizon if they getting rid of gaming.
Ablissa wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:31 pm I'm really buying this "lease is up on the gaming flat" theory. But then what about their main flat? Don't both leases end at the same time?
They might not be ready to move so renewed their lease on the main flat but decided to drop the gaming flat. I mean if the point of this flat was to separate life and work I kind of feel like they failed at that and it's just an unnecessary expense.
snokoplasmic wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:26 pm I hope no one minds if I quote my own post, but I just wanted to add on to this, about the gaming channel, I actually do fully believe them that it's going on a hiatus and they'll be back when they're ready. I've seen some say that they think they're just saying "hiatus" to sugarcoat the fact that they're not gonna come back to it, but with all the bombs they dropped this liveshow, I don't think that if they truly were ending the gaming channel they would hold back from telling us, while being 100% honest and pretty transparent about everything else. They've wrapped everything up neatly on the channel, but I believe them that it's for the hiatus, not for the end.
But on the other side of the coin if it's definitely coming back why not clearly state this so there is no speculation or doubt? With all the bombs they dropped in the LS if they fully intend to bring the gaming channel back I don't know why they wouldn't just say this.
Hmm I agree but maybe they have a project in the works that hasn't been finally approved or they don't know how much time it'll take up so they aren't sure when and how to fit in be gaming channel? Just thinking of positives.
I am sure that they have ideas but maybe they really do want to play it by ear and so how they feel. I always thought that they truly enjoyed the gaming channel since this is where all of their content has gone but gaming videos do take a lot of time to produce so maybe they need this time to step back and see if they still enjoy it. It's been pretty obvious this year that Dan needed to step away but even Phil said that he needed time to refresh himself when he took a break from posting on AP and the videos that he has posted besides the last solo one have been really nice and genuine.
Loafer
sofa crease

liola wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:44 pm Yeah now that i'm calming down, I think 2019 is gonna bring personal change our way. I know no one wants to say it, but I wouldn't be surprised if 2019 was the year they made their relationship public. There I said it bring the pitchforks
I also wouldn’t be surprised at this point if they came out as a couple. I’m not expecting it, but I wouldn’t be surprised.

Conspiracy theory - casually confirming their relationship will be included in Dans (potential) January video.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Ablissa wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:49 pm
That's the exact vibe I'm getting as well and I'm not ashamed of it. I can't even put my finger on why I think so, although I could make a long, boring list of things that add up to it. But yeah.
It's also worth noting that for most of us, their relationship already is obvious. But I feel like 2019 will bring something that will leave no one doubting at all.
You know what? I agree. At this point I can totally see it. I will also say that despite what Dan said, I believe they're gonna move out soon. Maybe in the second half of the year, who knows. And if they do, there's no way in hell they can get away with it without people connecting the dots regarding their relationship, lbr.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

That was quite a show. I've been saying it before and I feel like this 'creative break" and "pausing the train" just is another indication. They're feeling a bit burned out. There was the DINOF hiatus, the reduced content, the last pinof and now the DAPG hiatus (Phil hasn't really said something specifically about AP, but it seems that channel is going in maintenance mode too). What will 2019 bring? It's hard to say. Some people seem to conclude that this means their will be big changes in their personal lives (or how they present it). That's not really what they said though. if you read the wording about DAPG game, it's even stated it's 'not' a life thing but a creative break. Though they also implied mental health reasons. It's interesting to both see people claim they're going seperate ways and that they will come out as a couple in 2019.

Wait and see I guess. I just want them to be happy, as I bet everyone here does. As a viewer and 'fan', I hope they take their content to a more mature and personal direction. I think they feel a bit like they're stuck in a rut, and I feel like their content has become a bit to produced, it's lacking some variety and passion. I just hope we don't lose the personal connection and that they get engaged in different projects. Phil mentioned how he loves studio work, Dan might want to do something pretty different too.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

sugar wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:56 pm
Im_new_here wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:34 pm Also, I'll wait for someone to reupload it to check (it was SO laggy) but I'm 50% sure Phil referred to his background as a "set". Like...boy knows we know it's not his real room.

Also, I totally understand want to not film on a bed anymore when you're 32 years old - almost all the early vloggers who filmed in their rooms have moved to different backgrounds as they've grown/no longer live in their parent's house or a dorm, but Phil has acknowledged changing things is hard for him, and clearly he puts a lot of emphasis on consistent branding for AP - down to the duvet and the hair. So honestly, in addition to whatever might be going on for the 2!Flats theory, he also was overdue for a change.

I hope 2019 is the gayest, most fabulous, most creatively fulfilling year of DNP yet. I can't wait for it.
for the first part, i definitely didn't hear him refer to it as a set. he did call it "a bed" as opposed to anything with more personal attachment. like HIS bed, for example. i think what he did say was transparent enough anyway.

and i've come to my own personal conclusion that phil kept the bed solely for the purpose of pinof with the intention to do away with it once pinof was completed. it wouldn't have been pinof if it wasn't on the amazingphil bedspread, you know? but now he can turn that room into something more fitting to current phil, and for that i'm excited!
I'm fully subscribed to the idea that they're consolidating, but assuming they're not and they're keeping both flats...

It would be a hell of a move for Phil to pull the bed out of the AmazingPhil room and just redecorate that space. It would speak louder than words tbh. So... I wouldn't be mad about it.

(I do think he'll redecorate a spot in the flat they're keeping though.)
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

Loafer wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:01 pm
I also wouldn’t be surprised at this point if they came out as a couple. I’m not expecting it, but I wouldn’t be surprised.

Conspiracy theory - casually confirming their relationship will be included in Dans (potential) January video.
I like this conspiracy theory. I don't actually believe it because, well, Dan is crap at communicating openly, but it gives my heart some warmth to believe it could be possible.

*TBH I could totally see Dan's video as a freaking dan meme 2018 review.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Phil's new filming room will be in one of the 83 bathrooms they have. I am ready for Phil casually chatting with us in the bathtub.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

glitterintheair wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:14 pm Phil's new filming room will be in one of the 83 bathrooms they have. I am ready for Phil casually chatting with us in the bathtub.
No more Dan in collabs. Just Phil and the rubber duck.
omgjo
smol bean

Im_new_here wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:13 pm
Loafer wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:01 pm

I like this conspiracy theory. I don't actually believe it because, well, Dan is crap at communicating openly, but it gives my heart some warmth to believe it could be possible.

*TBH I could totally see Dan's video as a freaking dan meme 2018 review.

I also can see this happening (relationship confirmation, maybe something in pinof bloopers?) then for them to take a break whilst the Internet calms down for a couple of months. I'm interested to see what will happen. I'm gutted about dapg though!
liola
rankussy

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:16 pm
glitterintheair wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:14 pm Phil's new filming room will be in one of the 83 bathrooms they have. I am ready for Phil casually chatting with us in the bathtub.
No more Dan in collabs. Just Phil and the rubber duck.
You know what, I'm down for it. Phil can bring a different color rubber duck every week, make it a new segment
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
black_rat
squish

oh boy. i think i am mostly feeling excited?? for the new things to come?
i am totally clueless on whether or not they are moving or not.
alittledizzy wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:41 pm For anyone who wants to pick apart the wording - tried my best through the glitches.

D: But after Dilmas we are going on break from Dan and Phil Games. This is just a creative think about what we want to do next. It's not like a - a life thing.
[...]
P: We want a bit of a creative break.
D: We're not disappearing from the internet.
P: No.
my theory is that they actually don't know if dpg will continue or not, and that they consider to either do it further and change things up a bit, or to turn it into a collab channel. whatever they said now, is just what they feel at the moment, but they actually have no clue. "what we want to do next" does sound very ominous. also the use of "internet", i feel like it could be synonymous to youtube, but i am not sure?

but i would have no idea how a collab channel would look like? i would imagine it would still be some kind of fluff easy content, but it would definitely not be vlogging, so i don't really know what kind of theme or topic the channel would have?

but also if they really don't know if they want to continue it or not, then there is no radio-bbc project? or is there, and they just don't know how time consuming it will be?

also phil wanting to change his video background - if they are not moving, it would be SO interesting to see if he would just get rid of the bed and use the same room? he could also use the gaming room if they don't use it anymore? or will he make the change of his background so slow that by the time they moved out he just will have a new room in a new house?

for dan's channel i can see him making a video about therapy (which he has hinted at a lot) and also maybe address his identity crisis he felt as a teen. that would be interesting to know how deep he would go into his identity.

also very happy that they communicated all of this to us, although it was so laggy..
Ablissa
pastel persona

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:54 pm You know what I really love? This:
This is just a creative think about what we want to do next. It’s not like a - a life thing.
Have they ever come out and addressed a change like this by saying right out of the gate that it's not a life thing? We know from 2017 and moving being about 'life things' that it's a chosen phrasing for when they're talking about the two of them together. I just feel really fond of them for feeling comfortable saying that, because obviously it was to reassure us but there had to be a comfort level in place for Dan especially to be the one to go there with it and nix that concern before it could even be a thing.

And I also see that as a sign that 2019 could be even more boldly about 'life things' - whether it's any kind of announcement or not (I still lean toward not) or moving (still a possibility imo) or just them being even more open in day to day ways.
I'm definitely not expecting an announcement and I do believe moving is still possible. The way they said it was a bit off - there's more to it than they let on right now. Plus the whole flat situation that sounds super plausible.

I just feel like in 2019, something will happen, whether an all-at-once kind of thing or something gradual, that will leave no doubt about things. It's what they've been leading up to for some time.

(And again, I for one have had 0 doubt for a long time now, but I still feel like something is coming and I'm excited.)
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Currently trying to type with my hands still shaking. I started watching this to distract myself, it was all nice with Dan going up North for some pre-Christmassing with the Lesters, and then they just dropped bomb after bomb after bomb.

I have so many feelings. Some good, some less good?

I'm gonna miss DAPG, there have been a lot of times where the content on there was really what kept me going as a Dan and Phil fan. Their solo content if often just not my thing anymore, so I hope they'll appear plenty on each other's channel (not just Phil's) to fill the gap. That is assuming that we'll start getting regular and quality content on both channel again. I can only hope that it'll be an actual hiatus and that they'll come back to it, but they haven't had the best track record with things like that. Kinda just reminds me of the radio show, and before that Super Amazing Project. So rn I'm not super optimistic. Rest in peace 'Project X' :dead:

I'm not surprised at 10 being the last PINOF, I've said that before. But losing it simultaneously with DAPG hurts a lot ngl. In recent years PINOF had become more of a feel good tradition rather than The One Guaranteed Collab that it used to be due to all the other collab content, but now both are gone. And that's upsetting. I know that that it's not the end of my Dan And Phil but it still feels that way??

Phil's mysterious new change of aesthetics is something I look forward to. Will that room go back to it's original purpose of stashing cleaning supplies while Phil moves his new setup elsewhere? Or will Phil just give the room a makeover where it goes from bedroom to office thingy? I really do hope that Phil won't pretend to sleep there anymore at least. And I hope that while Phil is burning the ugly IKEA duvet on the balcony, he throws some bits and pieces of his persona in there too. Judging by the DVD commentary, I think he's ready for that. The theory that the lease on the second flat is up actually isn't completely crazy, though Dan did mention his filming space being where he wants to put up the sign form the popup shop. But hey, if they give up that flat maybe he can get a space that actually inspires him cause this one ain't doing it.

That said, I'll give them some props for getting communication somewhat right this time. It was a lot at once, but at least they told us. And explained things. And calmed us down, or at least tried to. So that's something. Plus I'm still so happy and surprised at how open they are this year about Dan spending pre-Christmas with the Lesters. And I liked them bickering about Phil's new coat. It looks lovely Phil, don't listen to Dan!

Anyway, I currently do not feel Emotionally Satisfied. More like Emotionally Exhausted. Amazed I haven't cried yet because I've even been crying at Christmas commercials (they're HORRIBLE this year) and lots of other shit lately. Just gotta keep reminding myself that everything will be fine and that they're still, above everything, together. Because everything about that entire liveshow was about 'we' and that's beautiful. They seem happy. I'm happy for them, but quite anxious for me.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go argue with people on Twitter to take my mind off things.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
000dia000
emo goose

IDB, please enlighten me: they've abandoned their individual channels and now, the last clinging shred of their YouTube relevancy, Dan and Phil Games that they barely uploaded on, they are shooting dead. How do they expect people are supposed to feel? It sounds like they're ghosting us.

I'm particularly disappointed, because I got a job and was too busy to watch YouTube and catch up with them for a long time, so I stopped reading and posting here so I wouldn't get "spoilers". I wanted to catch up gradually. Despite that, I wasn't even really feeling their gaming videos until recently. Their last two videos I watched back to back and I was reminded of how much I enjoyed watching them. They were genuinely good and I felt optimistic about returning here and gradually posting more like I used to, but it's terribly ironic now.

I know a lot of people won't like my negativity, but it's hard having a discussion when people here don't really seem to watch for their content anymore but because they're invested in their relationship. The phandom feels less creative and full of life and more like a tabloid. I know I'm "selfish", but I miss their videos.

I think everyone (me) is in a mood, so don't take me so seriously. I'm not trying to troll, just unleashing some of my frustration. I don't know where this will bring me for when (or if) they start releasing more consistent content again and whether I will watch it. I guess I'll just have to wait and see :shrug: I'm sorry guys
:cactus:
swofro
angel bean

000dia000 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:51 pm IDB, please enlighten me: they've abandoned their individual channels and now, the last clinging shred of their YouTube relevancy, Dan and Phil Games that they barely uploaded on, they are shooting dead. How do they expect people are supposed to feel? It sounds like they're ghosting us.
Ha, me.

//tw:projecting
On another note, they saying they will come back to dapg whenever they want/ are ready, no they are not abandoning the channel, is similar to what I tell the reader of my fanfics and look how I haven't updated since April.

I think the curse of them trying to deliver news is they fail (probably idk maybe it is just me) to see that they have to give us some good news along with the bad news so we can hold onto the good news like a lifeline.

I can't believe this is my comeback post. Please don't hate me. I have many feelings.
Love is forever
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I think the monetary incentive of the gaming channel means that there's no reason to assume anything is dead - or that if they didn't bring the gaming channel back it wouldn't be replaced by something equally or more pleasing. I know a lot of people are squicked by the reality that this is their job, but: this is their job. In some shape, way, or form they will continue to offer us content that we will monetarily compensate them for either by our viewing eyes re: adsense or by some other form of fan to creator business interaction. That's what makes it different from fanfic.

I also think this is the opposite of ghosting us. This is them actually executing communication about their plans because they're aware that we have an emotional attachment and they've learned from the past when they did ghost us.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

000dia000 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:51 pm IDB, please enlighten me: they've abandoned their individual channels and now, the last clinging shred of their YouTube relevancy, Dan and Phil Games that they barely uploaded on, they are shooting dead. How do they expect people are supposed to feel? It sounds like they're ghosting us.
I mean, I'll take umbridge with that - DAPG is not barely uploaded on, they've been averaging once a week all year, and when they weren't on tour it was more than that. Honestly, it's a lot of content, we're just hungry in general.

Phil hasn't abandoned the AP channel, he's just slowed down a bit, but he's still producing plenty of content, both dan AND phil said that he won't change his background and then abandon his channel, he just wants a reset.

Nearly every big youtuber that's been on the platform this long has taken a break, especially the folks that have other parts of their careers going on/don't have an editing or filming staff; it turns out it's hard to produce consistent creative content this long.

If TV shows produced a 20 minute episode once or twice a week with no season breaks for the better part of 4 years, and the writers/actors/editors/scripters were also expected to produce a stage show going to 18 countries and doing 72 shows over 6 months and have side TV shows AND post instastories every single week AND have their own merch lines... well, that doesn't happen, does it? Because that's a terrifying amount of work. Even Shane Dawson, who daily vlogged every weekday for like 5 years took a small break and changed the way he put out content.

Seriously, it's not surprising they are burned out and want to take a small hiatus from DAPG. Honestly it sounds like for AP it could just be as short as a darn holiday vacation. They emphasized they want to keep creating content for us, they just need to figure it where it needs to go for them to be creatively satisfying.

Youtube is a still a new media platform, DNP are in the first generation of people to have this "career" and they're still figuring out what is a sustainable pace for that kind of thing. There's no rulebook or blueprint for this work. There's no label that requires X number of albums in X number of years, there's no writers or staff on their TV show.

(I will also say this is a raw subject for me as someone whose livelihood is also caught up in an audience and a constantly-producing internet cycle, so sorry if I'm getting protective.)
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

I think dropping both of these bombs at once was a bad idea. Necessary, but bad. I would have like to Officially mourn PINOF in peace, ya know?

I'm not sad about it being the last one. I'm kinda over PINOFs as a whole, but if they had just said that piece earlier, we'd have gotten a lot of great fan content out of that announcement. We'd have gotten art, fan videos, gif sets, maybe even fan fic to reminisce. And I hope that still happens. I hope Phandom takes some time to really appreciate pinof for what it was in its time.

Except now we're all just flustered over the gaming channel and future content and idk. PINOF deserved better than this.
starwatersong
phabergé

My heart: But Dan and Phil Games is the only place you guys regularly upload and what is happening and why are you being so cagey and I don’t like change!

My brain: You voted for Dan and Phil getting to do what they want to make themselves happy. Now walk the walk.

I’m going to hope that the hiatus in January is shorter than usual and that the boys figure it out while recovering from burnout. Mental and physical health is more important.

And I’m going to breathe.
RiriPandaHeart2
phabergé

I'm not in a good mood so I'm so sorry for my negativity. I just have a lot of feelings that I can't even articulate and most of them are negative. Weirdly enough, I liked PINOF 9 more than 10 so for that to be the last PINOF for me... kinda felt... off. Though subsequent rewatchings did raise it up to be in my top 4 PINOFs... but still. I feel like if people knew ahead of time that it was gonna be the last one, we would have been more creative, and we would have made it go off with more bang than it did. So I'm disappointed that we were told that it was gonna be the last after the fact already.

My feelings are very mixed and I think knq's earlier post along the lines of "As a fellow human being, I'm happy that they are doing what they want, but as a fan, I"m sad if if what they need is to stop sharing their lives with and making content for the internet" (sorry. I'm too lazy rn to properly look for and quote it. :( ) perfectly reflects how I feel. Like if I take a step back from being a fan, I feel happy and positive for their future, but as a fan that's heavily invested in their lives, their changes are scary, and it's affecting me personally; something I still find exasperating because no matter how hard I tell myself to stop being so invested, I truly can't stop.

There's this fic that I constantly reread called "When There's No Storm" by iihappydaysii that has the line "But what's the point of a storm shelter if there's no storm", and that fic in a way, made me realize that my fandoms are my storm shelters. I guess my real life is also very stormy rn, as at 26, it's my very first time outside the academe, and my life hinges at the results of the licensure exam which won't come out til May of next year, which I think I failed, so I was very much hoping and relying on my fandoms to be my constants. Unfortunately, even my Kpop fandoms are gonna be a mess (with my ultimate bias enlisting next year, and my other groups also enlisting one by one.. aurgh at being a fan of mostly 2nd gen groups. :? ), so I was very much hoping that Dip & Pip could be that storm shelter. But I guess they won't be, and I'll need to take a step back from them and the Phandom again so that I won't be personally that affected by the big changes in their lives. It's all on me and how I feel. And they have no obligation whatsoever to align their lives with my wishes. I know that. But I just can't help what I feel rn. And I know it's purely on me due to my own messed up way of making them my coping mechanism. I am not blaming them at all. I'm just sad and upset for reasons that are purely selfish that hopefully will soften and fade over time. Plus the last break I had from them, i was still watching their videos, intermittently reading the discussions here, and minimally interacting with the members of the Phandom whose Twitters I follow, so it's not really a total break and non-supportive cut-off from them. Sorry for this word vomit. I just wanted somewhere to fully explain how I felt about the announcements.

I'm sorry for the negativity of this post. Hopefully, when I come back, it'll be with a more positive attitude and full excitement for where their plans are taking them.
P: What are you doing?

D: I'm feeding it to you.

P: Why is it so slow?
citizen_erased
truth bomb

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :wahh:

From a purely selfish point of view, I'm not happy about this. I've been having a really rough time (I went to a therapist again this week and she said "with everything you have going on, I'm honestly impressed you're still working and still going strong, I've had people in here with a burn out who had way less going on than you do and you have a history of depression and anxiety on top of all of it." so uh yeah) and their content has been a big part in distracting me from ~~life's woes~~ and I'm just really going to miss their silly gaming videos for however long it takes for them to (hopefully) come back.

Really though, jokes and whining aside: I'm glad they're taking a bit of a break. They've been producing so much content for years now, and this year especially with the tour, the videos, the pop-up stores, the instagram stories, the content just kept on coming and coming. We know how much of a struggle parts of the tour have been, outside of even the struggles of actually being on tour. Manila, Mexico, Brazil, they've shown some glimpses of what's been happening behind the scenes, but I'm guessing we probably don't actually have a clue of how much they've actually been working. It makes sense for them to take a break. Anyone would, after a year like this.

I'm actually weirdly excited about the prospect of phil's background changing? I hope pigeonfest this year is actually duvet-burning-fest. Just a camera on a container with the duvet in it, and then a mystery hand throwing a lit match in. We can all watch the old AP branding burn for a couple of hours.

Either way, I support their decision but I'm also going to miss their silly bants for however long it takes for them to decide what's going to happen next.
autumnhearth
senpai

Well that was a bad time to take a nap. Haven’t watched it, just read here. After the initial shock wore off, I think this will be really good for them. Also ditching the filming flat is totally feasible. Dan can film his rare dinof vids in the piano nook, or in an arm chair, or hell in a studio if he’s really serious about upping the production value. Phil can easily pick a corner in front of some house plants. And assuming they have a two bedroom and share the master then they have a spare room for DAPG or a collab channel or whatever (though most collabs would probably be fine in the lounge). Yes their actual kitchen is smaller, but it doesn’t rule out baking (if they even still want that tradition to continue, I’m not big on Easter baking myself) heck they can do baking collabs with Martyn and Cornelia in their new kitchen once it’s renovated. The only real drawback I see is that they had wanted to keep camera tripods and big lighting out of their living spaces. Yeah I guess they could be stored in the spare room when not in use, but I wonder if they might be looking into making videos outside the home more, when a production company (anyone remember Lemonade Money?) Anywho, just wanted to reassume that there are enough rooms/spaces. I’m excited for the new year. Agree that it would have been nice to know it was the last pinof before/when watching, not after, but not that sad to see it end.
Last edited by autumnhearth on Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BuffyFiona
sofa crease

Gahhh I had such a frustrating and sad day at work and then I came home to try to distract myself with the new liveshow, but now I'm just even more sad D: I mean I'm glad they feel they're doing the right things for them and so that they'll be making content they believe in, plus I appreciate them actually telling us, and I get the rationale behind stopping PINOF here, but it's really hitting me hard for some reason? Even though PINOF 9 was my first one, and I didn't even know D&P back in the early years, I guess it's sort of like ending one of the only old school YouTube traditions left.

Almost every YTer I used to watch in 2006-2012 are either no longer on the platform at all (I miss you JohnnyDurham19 and WhatAboutAdam :(), have another job and just post videos every now and then (like Jimmy0010 and Natalie Tran), or have just totally shifted their content to things I'm not interested in. So PINOF is like this tradition which made me feel connected to my nostalgia for the "good old days" of YouTube when kids were just having fun on camera in their spare time and forging friendships from that. And I always thought it would be pretty sustainable since it's just one video a year, but I guess not... christ I'm going to make myself cry... :sobs: