Dan & Phil Part 80: You're my plinth of life

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
idk
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

rizzo wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:21 am i love and agree with a lot of your post but am struggling with your suggestion that they're essentially ending all collab content permanently. i don't think that's the case. while i'm not certain this is the definitive end of dapg, i fully expect a replacement project/content/channel if they do decide to let it go. and even at absolute minimum, relatively regular join ls's are a must. (even once a month would be better than nothing.)

having them just create solo channel content seems... boring? and i recognize that there's a lot of 'life things' to be done, but like..... don't you want to see them? how will you enjoy those life things? a yearly mukbang?

i recognize i'm projecting my Wants on the situation, but like... yeah, that's exactly what i'm doing. i want content. i want to be able to see dan and phil banter, grow, share their experiences, flirt, etc with us and i genuinely think they recognize that want from us. that's their bread and butter. i mean just go look at the most viewed videos on their (well... maybe just phil's) channel. it's Dan and Phil™ content.

so like... i'm here for the dog and the forever home and phil's new space and all the life things, but i don't think that should or will come at the sacrifice of content. not while their phandom is still standing strong and begging to watch them grow in that capacity.
To quote my own post
idk wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:36 am I’m still 110000% sure we will get joint content in some capacity. In what capacity? I don’t know. I’d love a podcast, I’d love something more chilled and real, if you will. I'm open to many possibilities. They’re not leaving Youtube any time soon of that I’m sure. 

I think one of the main takeaway sentences of the live show comes from Dan: “It’s all in the service of doing even better things for you to enjoy.” It’s a very optimistic thing for him to say imo. This is a good thing, a great thing. I’m very excited to see where they go next.
I'm definitely, absolutely sure we will get joint content next year, I just have no idea in what capacity. I'd be a hell of a lot more devastated if I thought it was the end of joint content - which I don't.

And I agree with you, life things are no fun to have/see unfold if we don't get to ~talk about it with them, see them take on these steps in a manner beyond just seeing their backgrounds change.

I don't know what they'll do and I don't know what I think they'll do. There will definitely be joint content in addition to solo content, I'm sure of it. Whether they make a collab channel or a podcast or w/e I have no idea and beyond a podcast (and joint liveshows) I don't know what else (other than a joint collab channel for various vids) they'll do. And I think this might be the case for them too. I just think gaming for them is over.
scientia
phabergé

Any bets on dilmas ending with dil's death? or maybe a devan wedding?
sugar
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: they/them

ratlad wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:24 am
now onto dapg, i don't trust the word "haitus" and i know that's a personal issue of mine (when fall out boy split up around 2010, they used that word but then came back in 2013. also i vaguely remember mcr using that word as well back when they split, or like an article writer who interviewed G Way?? sigh.)
i wonder if dnp will announce it on the last day of dilmas with an MCR reference. i don't want it but it's bound to happen
mcr did have a hiatus that started at the end of the black parade tour cycle in 2008. at the end of their show at msg (which was the last show before the hiatus) gerard said 'if we never play another show again, keep yourself alive". but they did come back, they played their first shows back in july 2009 with new songs from what would eventually be relased as conventional weapons. (i am sometimes known on tumblr as the mcr historian so...sorry.) anyway, what i'm saying is that in the case of both fob and mcr the hiatus truly was a hiatus. when mcr broke up they fully just broke up, the word hiatus was never used. i think dan and phil know how much their content means to us that they wouldn't just lie and string us along if this was something they really intended to end with the end of dilmas.

to be honest, as much as it upsets me that so many people seem to think it really is the end of dapg altogether, i've decided that i'd be okay as long as it was replaced with another form of regular joint content. i don't watch dapg for the gaming. i watch it because i like the way that dan and phil interact with each other. their relationship absolutely is why i watch them. if they stopped doing joint content and solely did solo videos i'd be far less invested. their solo content just doesn't interest me that much. i watch and find some level of enjoyment when they do solo videos but the draw for me is their chemistry.

also, on another note, i think some of you have no idea how well off dan and phil are. they don't actually need something to replace dapg with. i'd like them to keep doing it or replace it with something equally as entertaining and fulfilling, obviously, but they don't actually need a source of income anymore. they'd live comfortably on what the have and the residual income from everything of theirs that currently exists out there.
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

@sugar oh yeah oof, i probably got those mixed up, ty. i just knew haitus was in there somewhere. maybe i hate "haitus" cause fob didn't even make an impressive comeback imo.
anyway, merry crisis. literally.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
swofro
angel bean
Pronouns: she/her

More opinion now that I've calm down a bit.

Not kidding, I think they will ditch dapg by masking it as a hiatus because they can afford to do without it, that's the main point. They are rich and well-off and they can afford to ditch dapg for other project that brings better profit. Which is why I don't believe for a second of the 'hiatus'.

These posts somewhat summarizes what I feel about all this
fancybum wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:08 am "Hiatus". Cool. Aren't they still technically on hiatus for the radio? Wasn't SAP a hiatus? Cool, cool. I so enjoyed the last few dapg vids, I was warming back up to their schtick after a difficult year of feeling pretty alienated, and was totally prepared (excited, even) for a familiarly slow January before getting back to some kind of normal. But normal just does not exist with them any more. You can't go home again and nostalgia is a lie. Apart from the tour, the only consistent thing they've done this year is dwindle their content down more and more while saying all along that nothing's really changing, just stick around guys. Like I feel like I've just been strung along for months, waiting for something that seems now like it will never come, because they decided, turns out, they're over it. Dinof uploads being "more regular" than they are now doesn't really mean much of anything considering his rate this year of 2 videos (that couldn't be described as spon). So.. 4 videos for 2019? Give or take some ISGs? Totally a fair trade for ~weekly or so content on dapg. Can't. wait. Okay, I just needed to get some sky is falling off my chest because they just keep stabbing me in the heart.
Stakhanov wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:39 pm As a person, I just hope they do well, take as much time as they need and sort out whatever they feel needs to be sorted out. As a viewer, well I can't pretend this has been a good year. A disproportionate amount of people on this forum might have had the opportunity to see their show live or even meet them, but for most viewers if feel like it has been a rough year. Two and a half channels out of three in indefinite hiatus (three and a half if you count D&P crafts), another year where most of their time and energy went not to their main channels but to other projects.
No doubt these projects have been very successful and they would like to enjoy the fruit of the work a bit. But yea I think the honest truth here is that a lot of things are ending and a lot of things seem to be up in the air.
Of course they are allowed to have a break, avoiding burnt out yada yada but I can't help but to be afraid of the future when nothing is confirm in their future plan regarding producing contents.

I can't help but compare them to Marzia who had step out of youtube, or Zoe who no longer use/update her personal twitter. It seems that at this point, deppy are well-off enough to just give minimal content without the consequences of not getting enough profit, you get me?

I am probably more upset than other people because dapg is that one thing that consistently give us content. It gives me assurance that there will be the next dil episode no matter what. But with this over, who is to say that they are not only going to post 4 videos a year on yt whenever they like, transform fully to become instagram influencer, and lives lowkey life where the only consistent content we get is instagram stories?

I applaud all the people who have faith in them and believe they will deliver. I really do. I hope you are all correct and I only freak out over nothing because I don't know what I will do otherwise :dead:
Love is forever
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

holy moly, lots of good posts with lots of good points

im pretty sure almost everything has been said and i see some anxiety in people - which is fair. change is scary because what lies ahead is unknown, no matter how accurate our predictions will be. still fun to do tho, and it does create a spark of discussion with everyone....but i digress.

if i could remember, one of my first posts in idb was about how dan and phil has been really good at easing us into the changes that theyve planned ahead for us, for them. so far, 2018 has been great. theres been some downs but its mostly been very positive. i know sometimes people hyperfocus on the negative, but we have to remember how great weve had it this year and that next year hold even better things for us. also, dan and phil have literally worked their asses to make sure weve been well taken care of, now its time for them to rest.

life things:

so many predictions, so many questions...and honestly, who knows what will happen?

im fine with whatever the future holds. in a way, i feel like theyve already addressed the elephant in the room that is their true nature of their relationship several times in a subtle way - kinda like that "philip" insta story. of course its not a confirmation, but at the same time, it felt like a nod and a wink wink nudge to us while the rest swims in a sea of "what does this mean???????????????????", and im perfectly fine with that at the time. however, if ever they decide to do a major life milestone like moving into their forever home cough #phanmarriage2020 cough , then all these seemingly random but small hints have been something theyve talked about and planned together waaay earlier in the timeline. they started by testing the waters then gradually increased the intensity of the changes while simultaneously gauging our reactions and adapting to it accordingly. im confident that bigger yet better changes lie ahead for us in the future.

a good hard reset:

im not sad at all. maybe perhaps due to my experience in being in fandoms that had really long hiatuses, i feel like this isnt too bad. of course i acknowledge that not everyone will feel the same way as me, but dan and phil themselves have expressed that they wont "disappear" from the internet. theyll still be around. the coming new year is them having that well-deserved and necessary reset in their lives. im 100% here to support them.

thats all my written thoughts for now, i had more in my brain but they all flew away oof
"you are next to me in my life"
Ataraxia25
flower crown

Hello! So it's the morning after for me and I'm way more calm. My immediate reaction last night was to freak out, but now I'm better.

For pinof, i don't really care but i would have prefered to know it was the last one beforehand. i'd have enjoyed it more because of the nostalgia!

I freaked out yesterday because of dapg. It's my safe space, it's their place of pleasant and regular content and last night I could only think : I can't see dapg go. That's the thing, i wouldn't have freaked out the way I did if i knew that they are coming back. But as we can never be sure of anything in life and as it's not the first time they use "hiatus" for "the end", that's what made me freak out.

But what very nice people on Twitter and your posts on here made me realise is that, if indeed it's the end of dapg, there will be another kind of content, just as good. As @alittledizzy said, it's their job and i need to remember that they need to work and therefore create content. So maybe it won't be gaming content, but maybe it's will be a kind of content we end up loving even more?
:gayaf:
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

lilabet wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:03 pm
I love the gaming channel but more than anything I loved their shared dynamic. They've had shared content from the beginning with the super amazing project, radio show, & then Dan and Phil Games. I just want something to replace it because I have a feeling this will be a hiatus that isn't short. I'd love for them to come back, maybe rebrand it just to Dan and Phil but I'm going to keep my expectations low so I'm not disappointed.
bluntedclaws wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:13 pm
My guesses/hopes are maybe one or more of these:
They're gonna start some kind of "Dan and Phil Collab." channel that isn't just games so Phil can have the Amazingphil channel back. I think it should be called "Dan and Phil Try New Things."
They're going to start a podcast
They're going back to Radio1
They have something else in the works with the BBC that they can't tell us about yet. (They've been working with the BBC quite a bit recently)
black_rat wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:25 pm
my theory is that they actually don't know if dpg will continue or not, and that they consider to either do it further and change things up a bit, or to turn it into a collab channel. whatever they said now, is just what they feel at the moment, but they actually have no clue. "what we want to do next" does sound very ominous. also the use of "internet", i feel like it could be synonymous to youtube, but i am not sure?

but i would have no idea how a collab channel would look like? i would imagine it would still be some kind of fluff easy content, but it would definitely not be vlogging, so i don't really know what kind of theme or topic the channel would have?
The idea of rebranding DanAndPhilGAMES as their general joint channel is one that hadn't occurred to me in any way, shape, or form, but I think it makes total sense! I think it would be a way of liberating all three main channels. The Daniel Howell and AmazingPhil channels could be places that are primarily about Dan-the-individual and Phil-the-individual, and the joint channel could be the place that's all about Dan-and-Phil-the-duo. Their individual channels could be their own personal creative spaces that they keep primarily for themselves. The gaming channel could become a place where they do whatever they feel like doing together: gaming, baking, crafting, story telling, etc.

I'm not saying Dan and Phil would be banished from each other's channels. They could still do collabs on these channels, but they would tend to have more traditional host/guest or main/supporting roles (like in "Exposing Our Instagram Explore Pages!" or "Viewers Pick My Outfits!", for example). Collabs where they're supposed to be true equals could go to the joint channel, where they both rightfully have equal say in exactly what the content looks like. This would alleviate some of the awkwardness associated with choosing an individual channel for this kind of content. By awkwardness, I mean, for example, having different "rules" for a baking collab depending on which channel it's being posted on or posting the Interactive Introverts tour trailer on only one of their individual channels.

This is also a decision that would require a lot of careful thought and that would justify very clearly closing a chapter on DanAndPhilGAMES. All in all, I really like the possibilities offered by this proposition, and I would be happy for this to be the outcome of the hiatus.

The only other thing I wanted to mention about the liveshow was that I saw a comment from @Ablissa fly through the chat (something like, "but what are you going to do?") while I was watching it earlier. Perhaps this isn't necessarily the comment that you'd want highlighted, but I thought it was fun to see IDB people represented in the chat.
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

The main thing that's really bothering me is that all those news have (so far) only been communicated in a live show. People who are not very involved in the phandom (who don't have Tumblr, don't follow UpdatedPhan) have no idea - and those people still make the majority of the views!

I guess they'll say something about DAPG at the end of the last video, but PINOF being done is a big deal and I think people should know.

(I can appreciate the decision to only say that after the video was released. It would be been perceived very differently if they had released it as "the last PINOF")
bestfriendsclub
dank meme

I think Phil's coat was a metaphor.
It's the same coat, it's just a different colour.
You looked so cool and perfect in your other coat.
This coat is important.
But what's important is that Phil's happy, right?
Phil hiding himself in the fluff.

I'm happy to let them rest. They need and deserve it. If they feel like it's all too much, well duh.

I might be wrong, but from what I've seen it seems like there was a time somewhere before Phil's weird phase of 2008 where his videos had a really calm, soft feeling to them, his first video blog wasn't as energetic and I've seen some videos from 2007(?) Where he'd just sit in front of the camera and talk, almost sleepily, and I'd honestly love if his videos started to feel like that again. I'd prefer a calm Phil chatting to us/telling stories from a comfy armchair with a mug of hot chocolate and a blanket over him than an exhausted Phil overworking himself for us. Although that could have just been him being in his shell and now that he's come out of his shell he really is just a crazy ball of randomness and excitement even when off camera. But I mean, he doesn't have to pretend to have any more energy than he does, not for us. I think Dan has already started to be more calm in his videos, but he still puts so f'ing much time and energy into them to make them perfect. It'd be great if he was much easier on himself too, but it sounds like he wants to go in the opposite direction of that. Dan, we love you so much already you don't have to try harder. We watched pigeon fest ffs.

As for conspiracy theories, my anxious mind keeps replaying worrisome phrases Dan has said such as: "Finally, we can die." "If this was the last thing we ever did," "If a meteor killed us all" "You're gonna die! You're gonna die! We're all gonna die!" And adding Dan properly complimenting Phil more recently, what if Phil is dying? But I understand I'm going to have to let go eventually, and I don't have to start grieving yet. They're still alive, for now. They're not gone forever, yet. We have their old videos to distract us from the stresses of life.

I think Dan and Phil (mostly Dan) are better at seeing their career, or whatever you want to call everything they do for us, as a story: with a beginning, a middle, and an end. We're somewhere in the middle now.

P.S. if everyone hates Phil's bedding so much I'll have it.
hello9217
flower crown

The radio show, sap, etc. are all things that went on "hiatus" but it doesn't mean that deppy left entirely. I know that it seems like they have nothing really but I'm just going to wait and see what's to come. I'm not the biggest fan of solo content so I'm hoping that's not all were going to get but I do want to know more about dnp in whatever capacity they feel comfortable telling us.

Also I don't know if we're allowed to make jokes yet but what an excellent marketing decision for dnp to wait four years to make dnpgames pjs only to axe the channel a month later.
lurker
janice from the shop

it's interesting to see the different reactions to the liveshow and i get why word "hiatus" raises suspicion -- whatever anyone is into, chances are high you've been in a fandom before that never came back after a hiatus. my immediate reaction to the announcement, before i read anything else, was "that makes sense" though. dan has been talking about his own break on dinof and wanting to start uploading again -- given all we know about his creative process, it seems more likely he'd be able to do that if there's no interruption by filming and editing dapg. so it seems reasonable to take a break from dapg now, at least to get started, unless he wants to permanently end his own channel. now, as much as dapg is their main endeavour atm it'd probably not be wise to focus completely on that alone, with the thought in mind that they might need to branch out of yt at some point. now phil wants to change up his background as well and i'd think similar arguments hold there as with dan, seeing how anxious he was about changing his hair. with him, it seems like he's been thinking about change for a long time in hindsight, and i'm curious as to what he'll end up with.

i think it makes sense for them to take a break to be able to change their main channels into something that they're happy with now, but also to think about where dapg is headed. so far, it has no clear profile apart from that it's deppy playing games. maybe they want to sharpen that. maybe they want dapg to be the channel where two dudes are playing board games. maybe they want two figure out how much it relies on their yt personas and how it needs to change now that their personal branding is changing. good things might come out of this!

and even i'm wrong and they do end the gaming channel, i'm convinced they'll announce a new joint project in time. i can't see why they wouldn't (unless they have enough money to retire right now) and tbqh while i enjoy dapg, i'd probably enjoy whatever new content as well as long as their dynamics don't change completely, which i don't think.

all in all, i think the premise of phil changing his channel to what he wants it to be in 2019 (and again, judging by the quiff affair, has been for a while), dan possibly uploading again, and them figuring out what they want their future joint content to be, are good news.

pinof ending is sad, but 10 is a good anniversary and i wouldn't have wanted to watch a pinof that they don't really want to do anymore. the pinof series is like a documentation of their journey from their first meeting to who they are now and if they don't want to continue this, i can get behind it.
thank's you were great
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

To quote myself from the first Brighton show from Interactive Introverts:
This is the section where he made it sound like him and Phil may not always work together in the future moving forward. I heard a clip of this bit and it reminded me that I looked at my friend and said "wow, he's making it sound so final" at the time
A lot of people gasped in the show at this point and they changed the wording around afterwards. I was thinking about it last night so I guess shouldn’t be surprised that much given that they spoke about it briefly on stage back in April.

That said, boy am I gutted. I was okay last night after the initial shock but dapg is my thing, my source of enjoyment and laughter. I love the gaming channel so much and now it’s just gone/going and I feel broken. I literally have zero faith that they’ll bring it back, they said the same kind of thing about the radio show and well look where we are with that. It was the one way that we would get fairly regular content from them. It was kinda obvious something was happening when they didn’t spon the channel at the end of the last video but I brushed it off just thinking that it meant nothing.

My only worry right now is that they’ll kill off Dil at the end of this Dilmas, but I don’t think they’d be that cruel surely. I get they might want to end the series but let’s hope it’s just Tabs and Dil living their elderly life together at home as an ending.
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
lurker
janice from the shop

on a lighter, only slightly related note: i just saw a gif on tumblr where all the stickers where subsequently added to the dapg board while keeping score and it reminded me how IRRATIONALLY ANGRY i've been every time dan was like "oh nooooo where's this sticker gonna fit?? there's just no space" when in reality phil just stacked his stickers more neatly! and dan slapped them all over the place!! yeah he was in the lead most of the time but only by a small margin!!

sorry, i needed to say this in memoram
thank's you were great
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Wow, Tumblr today is like the calm after the storm. It kinda feels like the day after the GTPWTW video, but with more ominous vibes. :tumbleweed:

I think the problem a lot people have with DAPG going on hiatus is that it's the channel the provided us secure joint content at least once/twice a week, and now everything is up in the air. I'm sure joint content will continue (and lbr, Phil's channel is basicall a Dan&Phil's channel anyway and I don't expect it to change anytime soon), but at the moment there's no way of knowing how, when and where. A part of me is convinced that they plan to replace DAPG with some other project, not sure what - maybe a podcast (please), or vlogging (less likely, imo, knowing how reluctant they are to merely film a simple ditl, but at this point who the hell even knows), or something else - and I really hope I'm right.
I hope that also because DAPG is the channel where Dan and Phil, especially in the last two years, have been more themselves. The version of dnp on the gaming channel is the version I love and wanna see the most, and while I do think that with Phil the difference between the version of himself on the gaming channel and his main one has basically dissolved, I'm still quite uncertain when it comes to Dan. He might have changed his username and the filming background, but - except for his depression video - he's still way too danisnotonfire to me. It was okay when we got to see the other, more genuine version of Dan on the gaming channel, but with that disappearing, I really don't want to be left with dinof!dan as the Dan we'll see the most. I wanna give him the benefit of the doubt, though, especially because he hasn't uploaded any solo content since march and he has changed quite a lot since then.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I saw this under Pinof 10 at the time, cute wrap-up poem -

susan2
rainbow nerd

Phil: :microphone: The only way is up :microphone: (x)
me: is he gonna finish that lyric
Phil: yeah
me: oh lol
<3
greenergrass
stress mushroom

I just heard on the radio this morning that all flights are delayed out of Gatwick airport because of drones flying around it. I don't know what airport deppy would use, but I wonder if that's affecting their flight to iom at all
Ablissa
pastel persona

missemma wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:55 am To quote myself from the first Brighton show from Interactive Introverts:
This is the section where he made it sound like him and Phil may not always work together in the future moving forward. I heard a clip of this bit and it reminded me that I looked at my friend and said "wow, he's making it sound so final" at the time
A lot of people gasped in the show at this point and they changed the wording around afterwards. I was thinking about it last night so I guess shouldn’t be surprised that much given that they spoke about it briefly on stage back in April.

That said, boy am I gutted. I was okay last night after the initial shock but dapg is my thing, my source of enjoyment and laughter. I love the gaming channel so much and now it’s just gone/going and I feel broken. I literally have zero faith that they’ll bring it back, they said the same kind of thing about the radio show and well look where we are with that. It was the one way that we would get fairly regular content from them. It was kinda obvious something was happening when they didn’t spon the channel at the end of the last video but I brushed it off just thinking that it meant nothing.

My only worry right now is that they’ll kill off Dil at the end of this Dilmas, but I don’t think they’d be that cruel surely. I get they might want to end the series but let’s hope it’s just Tabs and Dil living their elderly life together at home as an ending.
I have a hard time wrapping my head around the concept of them doing separate things at this point. Maybe some one-time project, like that documentary for Dan, or his Young Minds support. But fulltime? They spent years creating this very joint brand. I don't know, I love reading theories here because I feel like my own don't fit the general narrative. I just don't think they will put much focus on personal projects, I think it will continue to be a side thing to their Dan and Phil brand.
I hope for that. I love their joint content.

I totally get feeling upset about dapg because I am too. Just yesterday I felt confident in them bringing it back, starting a sort of "season 2", but I'm slowly losing hope reading what everyone else thinks. The one thing that makes me believe they might keep it is money. It's their main source of ad revenue right now, isn't it? They won't throw that away lightly.

I'm very sure they won't kill off Dil (please). They wouldn't do that to us for Christmas.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Ablissa wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:38 pm I have a hard time wrapping my head around the concept of them doing separate things at this point. Maybe some one-time project, like that documentary for Dan, or his Young Minds support. But fulltime? They spent years creating this very joint brand. I don't know, I love reading theories here because I feel like my own don't fit the general narrative. I just don't think they will put much focus on personal projects, I think it will continue to be a side thing to their Dan and Phil brand.
I hope for that. I love their joint content.

I totally get feeling upset about dapg because I am too. Just yesterday I felt confident in them bringing it back, starting a sort of "season 2", but I'm slowly losing hope reading what everyone else thinks. The one thing that makes me believe they might keep it is money. It's their main source of ad revenue right now, isn't it? They won't throw that away lightly.
I was fine after the liveshow but reading other people's opinions slowly started getting to me so I had to stop looking at certain websites. I am still not thrilled about dapg and I had gotten the impression this year that we were getting so much joint content because it was both "giving us what we want" and somewhat of a last hurrah (not from each other personally)
but it still wasn't great to hear that the things I'd thought throughout the year became a reality.

I'm still hopeful we'll get joint content. Maybe it won't be in videos and it will be limited to creep shots on twitter and instagram stories but as long as we get something regularly I'll be okay with that. I also take it as a positive sign that their management company recently updated their page and they are still "Dan and Phil."
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

It looks like Cornelia is off - I would guess they're all flying together. Now we wait in suspense to see how much Dan and Phil will try to stagger actual travel vs travel updates.
daichii
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: she | her

Not surprised about dapg, their views on the gaming channel are at their lowest so I do agree with them taking their time to think what they'll do with it and whether if the effort they put into it is even worth it at this point.

Gaming in youtube is definitely a dying trend.
Apart from a few games all they play is crappy stuff that most of the time I think they don't even like, the gaming channel was never the place where they play the games they usually play as it was intended for from the way they sold it at the beginning. If they do come back to it, my hope is that they play games they actually enjoy and make long let's plays, but I'm keeping my expectations at their lowest since I think the hiatus will be permanent.

Pinof was a surprise and I'm a bit pissed still that they didn't do something more grand to send it off or even told us beforehand that it would be the last. We could have all made something special for the occasion or the questions could have been quite different had people been aware of it.

I don't know about future projects though, I don't follow that many youtubers and the ones I do have already done what they did: books, gaming, tours, etc. The literally only thing they've missed is to make vlogs but as others have pointed out, it is just not something they would be likely to do.

This post seems salty cause as always their communication is a bit crappy but I am happy that they seem to be making changes based on whats best for their mental health and if they're preparing us to that moment in which they'll stop making content I think that's ok too as it is a huge and scary decision considering how they'd be planning to earn money after all their popularity fades and not even the merch store can provide them income.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I disagree with people saying that Dan and Phil are so rich they don't need to worry about money. I think they're rich enough to take a break and refocus if that's what they want to do, but even 5-6 million dollars combined, even with investments that will continue to make them some money if they do nothing, doesn't mean guaranteed financial security for an indefinite amount of time. They've also got a business to support - hell, it probably does feel like pressure for Phil considering it's not just his livelihood but his brother's. They know their merch business staying successful depends on their relevance.

I'm really happy with them finding a better balance if they feel like the gaming channel is played out. Don't get me wrong, I'm gonna mourn the fuck out of it if it really is gone, but I get it. I just don't think there won't be a viable replacement. And Dan's last line of the liveshow ("But it’s all in the service of doing even better things for you to enjoy.") gives me a strong feeling that there's more planning already in place than they're letting on. They just don't want to commit to telling us anything because we all know what happens if they say they're trying to do something and it doesn't work.
daichii wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:59 pmI don't know about future projects though, I don't follow that many youtubers and the ones I do have already done what they did: books, gaming, tours, etc. The literally only thing they've missed is to make vlogs but as others have pointed out, it is just not something they would be likely to do
I think a lot of people are looking to a podcast because that's one very popular youtuber trend. And it makes sense why; high sponsorship opportunities and low effort. The podcast I'm on that gets in the hundreds of listens per episode still has spon deals being offered to us - not ones worth much but it's very easy to see how hundreds of thousands of listens plus low overhead = profit.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

ShittyWatercolour chiming in....
alien
procrastinator

A few things I've been thinking about since yesterday:
I think the reason losing dapg feels so bad for me is because that's where I became a fan of Dan's and eventually a fan of the whole Dan and Phil Brand. I had been watching Phil since 2007 when I was a horribly depressed college freshman who found comfort in other people my age talking to a camera in their bedrooms. But when Dan started making videos I wasn't a fan and didn't give him much of a chance. Even with the first pinof I was like seriously phil who is this child?? lol. But yeah it wasn't until dapg that I was like oh this kid is actually kinda funny. I think I'm starting to get it now. And from there I started checking out his own content again and fast forward to now I genuinely adore Dan and am so thankful he chose youtube as his career. So for me, dapg is what changed me from just an amazingphil fan to a proper phan lol. Anyway, now that I've made that realization I'm starting to feel better because Dan is a completely different person from when dapg started and I find that person incredibly engaging and interesting. So whatever he (and they) decide to do from here out I'm sure it'll be great (that's with the assumption there actually with be something coming).

Now for a very VERY cynical part of my post and I know this is just me taking something way too personally....I find it really annoying that Dan made that fb comment about looking into hiring someone to cc their gaming videos in the new year when he knew they were going on an undetermined hiatus from the channel. Like that really feels like saying something that he knew would get him a pat on the back without actually having to do anything. I know, I know, super cynical and I want to believe the best in them but I've been burned before with the whole cc thing so yeah personal problem.

My last annoyance is that this was all dumped on us during the holidays. The holidays are already so stressful and depressing for a lot of people that adding to that stress and depression just feels even more shitty. That's not Dan and Phil's fault, Phil even acknowledged towards the end that some people have to work through all the holidays (like can you imagine getting to take a whole 9 days off?!?) and that was nice and announcing this break at the end of the year makes the most logical sense but man does it still feel so shitty when a big source of happiness for a lot of people is suddenly up in the air. Again, that's not really dnps fault and I honestly can't imagine the kind of pressure that must feel like for them but it does just feel super crappy this time of year.

Anyway, over all I genuinely hope they have something else in the works but I'm keeping my hopes extremely low with these guys lol. They've given so so much this year. I really have enjoyed being their fan this year more than ever and if the best is not yet to come because we've just had it then I'm thankful I got to be a part of it.