Dan & Phil Part 80: You're my plinth of life

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
fancybum
senpai

missemma wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:55 am My only worry right now is that they’ll kill off Dil at the end of this Dilmas, but I don’t think they’d be that cruel surely. I get they might want to end the series but let’s hope it’s just Tabs and Dil living their elderly life together at home as an ending.
Sims should release a retirement expansion where instead of killing off the elderly Sims, you just send them to Florida and never see them again.

But even if they do kill Dil off, they can keep his ghost around and interact with it. Which, okay, sounds morbid, but I think ghosts are kind of christmassy (A Dilmas Carol :ghost: ), I think they could do it in a way that isn't too harsh. But also they really seem like they're in rip off the bandaid mode with their content, so I wouldn't really be surprised if they go full scorched earth and kill off Dil in their continuation of putting a hard stop on all their series. Knowing there's still some videos coming our way is making me feel better today, but is it ever going to be a bummer when the last video is over, even if they end it in the best way possible somehow, deaths or not. Like right before xmas they're going to Do That to us.

Seriously though, is there no hope for a xmas baking this year?

edit:
alien wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:07 pm My last annoyance is that this was all dumped on us during the holidays. The holidays are already so stressful and depressing for a lot of people that adding to that stress and depression just feels even more shitty. That's not Dan and Phil's fault, Phil even acknowledged towards the end that some people have to work through all the holidays (like can you imagine getting to take a whole 9 days off?!?) and that was nice and announcing this break at the end of the year makes the most logical sense but man does it still feel so shitty when a big source of happiness for a lot of people is suddenly up in the air. Again, that's not really dnps fault and I honestly can't imagine the kind of pressure that must feel like for them but it does just feel super crappy this time of year.
Yes. This. It would have sucked anytime, but damn.

(also the CC thing is kind of funny if you look at like they (coughPhilcough) waited to consider doing that until after they knew they would be posting way less videos that would need to be captioned. Save that money, boys)
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
thestigdrivesamini
sad dimple

Looks like they’re already on the IOM judging from Dan’s delayed post. All I want for Christmas is IOM instastories. Maybe they’ll see the reactions people are having and throw us some damage control domestic selfies :festivedeppy: I’m not above taking that bribery.

Still sad, but excited for what’s to come
Fazbaz
dank meme

To everyone who is scared to listen to the live show, I watched it after I had already seen everyone freaking out and I was really nervous. BUT seeing DnP talk about everything actually made me feel so much better so please don’t be scared to watch it. They seemed so happy and looking forward to their future (and not in the way that Dan promised regular content on his channel before the tour…that felt weird from the beginning :sideeye: ).

I really believe, just going from this live show, that they won’t be gone for long. They’ve been working the same way for years. I’m sure they know that the content they make is finite so it’s better to now think about what they want to do that will hopefully be successful for a long time (and their audience will love) rather than wait until no one is interested anymore and then try and revive their channels.

I am a bit younger than them and I think more than ever in your life (at least until now :lol: ) at this age you REALLY have a think about what your future should look like. The choices you make will likely affect most of your adult life. They are two grown men who are basically doing the same thing they did when they were teenagers so they must think about changing things up in whatever way. And a creative break is exactly what will give them new ideas and motivation. Them only noticing now that their audience is older and more diverser than they thought might also be a reason why they want to do a few things differently.

Again, if you’re panicky then rather watch their live show again now that you are prepared for the news I think you will find it a lot more wholesome and reassuring! <3
scientia
phabergé

I really do think a podcast would work well with their brand. Commentary on current events, serious or otherwise, music and game discussion...essentially a version of the live shows.

David Dobrik’s podcast has up to 4 sponsors per episode. I don’t see why D&P couldn’t gain some as well!
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

Because imagine getting these last year :6-year-old dan:

There's another story but no twitter post to embed yet. I really need to learn how to do these.
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop
Pronouns: she/her

scientia wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:10 pm I really do think a podcast would work well with their brand. Commentary on current events, serious or otherwise, music and game discussion...essentially a version of the live shows.

David Dobrik’s podcast has up to 4 sponsors per episode. I don’t see why D&P couldn’t gain some as well!
Ha, my job is literally a radio show host & podcast so I feel qualified to speak on this.

Podcast sponsorships pay way less well than videos overall but pay higher per download than adsense does - but the production is a lot easier. Programmatic ads (meaning similar to adsense where the ads aren't integrated to the show but are geographically targeted/user targeted - but ideally still read by the hosts) are the way of the future and more profitable than built in sponsorships; especially for the high download numbers that DNP would get. That being said, almost no one has a FT job podcasting alone, even podcasts that exist within a professional radio organization usually the staff work at least a little bit on other things. I'd actually say that Tara Lipinski + Johnny Weir's podcast with NBC is a good example of what DNP could pull off - a mix of domestic and topic-based (obviously Tara/Johnny it's about skating) but they both have full careers at NBC being hosts for like a baking show and sports, not to mention weird instagram influencer income. Or Dan Harris's 10% happier "brand" while also being a news anchor.

Podcasts are an extremely easy way to diversify content streams. Podcasts are in many ways a lot better than a radio show for connecting with an audience because you don't need to deal with FCC (Ofcom in the UK) restrictions and regulations or air timeclocks and you can host and control the way content is distributed even better than you can on youtube!

As like an Adult Investor person, I do think DNP have enough money to take a long break if they like especially because they don't live like rich bois like some other big youtubers (no mansions in LA; non-work related travel; don't own a car; don't seemingly spend a ton of money on ostentatious hobbies other than candles and a few pieces of designer clothing); that being said, I think it's unlikely they would take some kind of "retire forever" break. I suspect their individual net worth is probably in the low 2-3 millions, which is actually not *that* substantial for a 30 year old - even with compound interest in mostly market-based investments, especially considering it's probably predominately relatively screwed up currency at the moment. Yes, they're financially secure, but they're not set for a fancy-ish life in London if they don't have some earned income outside investments forever, if we're going by a 4% safe withdrawal rate. If they want to live on 50K pounds a year, which is lower than their current standard of living, then yes, they're set.

I read an industry interview with a BBC Radio executive awhile back where they said that finding talent like deppy was challenging because eventually they leave "to make loads of money on a world tour". So clearly the BBC thought that money was a driver in DNP's show ending. (Honestly having produced live tours, the scale of the staff they took along and travel/production/transport expenses, I can't imagine they made much more than low six figures net from TATINOF but maybe that's just me...)
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

Thanks for the insight @plinthofmylife

Overall one thing I've considered since last night is that while their other hiatus projects never returned those were ones with other company involvement. SAP was MyDamnChannel and the radio show was Radio 1. So while they inform part of my opinion I don't think them ending can really be considered in the same way.

While I'm sad I'm just going to focus on the positives. If they do end up killing D&Pgames I don't want to have mourned it twice.

With the CC maybe Dan meant they'll hire someone to do the existing videos. If I were them I'd definitely want someone else to rewatch those if it were me. The hiatus is also a good chance to catch up :shrug:
Last edited by lilabet on Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
noodlebum
flower crown

Ok I've recovered now haha. So my thoughts:
1. Glad they're stopping pinof if it's not something they enjoy anymore and want to grow on from it, the mukbang is a great alternative. Good to mature and grow as people and not put out content they're unhappy with. I think PINOF9 was the best anyway, fight me.
2. Great that Phil is changing his filming background finally. YES to @glitterintheair - he should film in the bathtub.
3. I am really sad about the gaming channel, but like others said maybe they'll make it a more general joint channel, or just need to recharge and rethink it. Am hoping it doesn't just disappear. If they aren't uploading on their other channels very often though or doing joint liveshows I'm going to be sad, as them together in videos is what I enjoy most, not their separate content. Their bants are what it's all about for me. If this helps their mental health and also gives them greater pride in their work and content though, then again this is good news and I support them.
4. Getting rid of the filming flat makes sense, so fair enough.
5. They really do need to do what's best for them now, so if they've outgrown certain traditions/styles of filming etc. then I'm all for personal growth, but I don't want them to leave altogether as they're a great duo.
6. I'm also going to say this screams important life choices/decisions in 2019 for one or both of them, and I'm sure Dan's first video will give us an inkling. Alright, sexuality/relationship maybe, whatever, I'm all for it if they're comfortable. I hate the thought of them both feeling they have to hide things as that will definitely mess up your mental health!
7. Interactive Introverts seemed to be drawing a line under this most recent stint in their career, so makes sense all this change has happened afterwards. In fact they hinted at the original end of ii that they might want to do other work in the future and it not be joint.
8. Apart from all that drama, they were so fucking cute together, with Dan pretending he's going up North for mince pies only, and chatting about what suits Phil etc. And no, khaki is not a Phil-colour, agreed Dan. Navy coat makes him look 'cool', think he means cute.

So all in all, I freaked tf out at the time, but now I've processed everything, I actually think it'll be really good for them and us, these breaks/endings and whatever they've got planned. Bring it on! (Just don't leave...) :rainbow:
greenergrass
stress mushroom

I in no way think they're planning to retire soon, but they /could/ retire if they lived a normal life (aka like the common non-millionaire), if they have the assumed $2million each net income right now. Most of us here will make less than $2million in our lifetime.

This is basically a pointless post since it's not really relevant to if they will actually retire because there's no signs pointing to that right now, it's just me pointing out the sad fact that Dan, at the same age as me, could retire right now and live the same lifestyle as I'm living. (assuming people's net income estimate is correct - I have no idea how much money they have made total over the years, minus taxes, etc)

Anyways, back to more positive thoughts lmao I would love if they did a podcast next year. It would be even better if they filmed it!
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

whatdoiknow wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:29 pm I in no way think they're planning to retire soon, but they /could/ retire if they lived a normal life (aka like the common non-millionaire), if they have the assumed $2million each net income right now. Most of us here will make less than $2million in our lifetime.
Oh yea, sorry, I don't want to in anyway imply they don't have a lot, especially for their age. I'm the same age as phil and he probably makes more off youtube in a month than I do in a year.

They're freaking rich by all global standards. For comparison, my partner is in their early 30's and has about a million in net worth (thanks to selling a business/buying commercial property) and took a year long break that could've been forever retirement, but that's based on ~$25,000 annual living expenses in the states because we live pretty cheap compared to other folks in our field(s).

But, that being said, ~2Million in assets is usually a retirement goal for people in their 60's, including some of those assets being a paid off house to live in. That's based on a middle class standard of living, and I was simply saying that they could stop forever if they wanted to live on about 50K pounds a year if it's mostly in stocks/bonds, but if they want to buy more yeezy sweatshirts and hire a personal trainer to come to their flat(s), they would probably want a slightly higher overall net worth.

Also this is total speculation. It's really hard to guess at net worth estimates.

(Sorry I literally work in financial media so I like geeking out about this stuff, I'll shut up now).
thestigdrivesamini
sad dimple

I think another thing to consider about any potential break/hiatus is their work ethic and especially Dan’s need for a routine (or “purpose” as he calls it). I can’t foresee them taking an extended break from everything because they are both admitted workaholics and have been their entire adult lives. You can’t just have that part of you turned off without serious side effects.

A long break from anything wouldn’t do well for Dan’s mental health (and I’m sure Phil’s as well but he’s never spoken about it like Dan). When I was without a job for 4 months after I graduated college, it was absolutely detrimental to my mental health and made my depression the worst it’s ever been.(I went from working 2 jobs and being in school full time to literally nothing). He’s mentioned how he loved touring because it gave him responsibility and a purpose. TLDR: I don’t see this break lasting longer than any other. Whether it comes back as DAPG or some other project, they’ll be around.
Last edited by thestigdrivesamini on Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

plinthofmylife wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:39 pm (Sorry I literally work in financial media so I like geeking out about this stuff, I'll shut up now).
Oh please don't stop, I don't have time to properly comment right now but I'm really enjoying your insight!!
greenergrass
stress mushroom

plinthofmylife wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:39 pm
whatdoiknow wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:29 pm I in no way think they're planning to retire soon, but they /could/ retire if they lived a normal life (aka like the common non-millionaire), if they have the assumed $2million each net income right now. Most of us here will make less than $2million in our lifetime.
Oh yea, sorry, I don't want to in anyway imply they don't have a lot, especially for their age. I'm the same age as phil and he probably makes more off youtube in a month than I do in a year.

They're freaking rich by all global standards. For comparison, my partner is in their early 30's and has about a million in net worth (thanks to selling a business/buying commercial property) and took a year long break that could've been forever retirement, but that's based on ~$25,000 annual living expenses in the states because we live pretty cheap compared to other folks in our field(s).

But, that being said, ~2Million in assets is usually a retirement goal for people in their 60's, including some of those assets being a paid off house to live in. That's based on a middle class standard of living, and I was simply saying that they could stop forever if they wanted to live on about 50K pounds a year if it's mostly in stocks/bonds, but if they want to buy more yeezy sweatshirts and hire a personal trainer to come to their flat(s), they would probably want a slightly higher overall net worth.

Also this is total speculation. It's really hard to guess at net worth estimates.

(Sorry I literally work in financial media so I like geeking out about this stuff, I'll shut up now).
Oh no worries, I totally wasn't judging your post or anything. I work in finance as well, hello to my fellow nerd hahah. I completely know what you meant, I was just lamenting the fact that they are so much more well off than me at the same age lol and could basically retire, when I can't even afford a house yet lol.

But yeah, feel free to continue to geek out! I love reading your posts
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

im glad we at least got ig stories of a bit of their trip
for some reason i have the urge to watch them murder dil, but i don't actually want that...? i think it's just my brain wanting to put my leftover anger into something but i know it's wrong....... like,,, i seriously do NOT want them to kill off dil.
oh at all.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

thestigdrivesamini wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:41 pm A long break from anything wouldn’t do well for Dan’s mental health (and I’m sure Phil’s as well but he’s never spoken about it like Dan). When I was without a job for 4 months after I graduated college, it was absolutely detrimental to my mental health and made my depression the worst it’s ever been.(I went from working 2 jobs and being in school full time to literally nothing).
This is an EXTREMELY good point. As a fellow workaholic creative person, this is true for me; and Shane Dawson is taking his first "break" from youtube working on bigger projects right now in like 10 years, and he is legit having near meltdowns on instastory being like "I really am working on stuff, please don't hate me, it's gonna be good, also I'm really struggling with the fact that I'm not uploading" - he's not even on a real break, just working his butt off behind the scenes to make longer-form content, and it's screwing with him.

(Literally ended up talking with my therapist last night about how defending DNP's "creative break and reset" was a good reflection of my own stress around the fact I haven't put out new content in 2 weeks due to overworking myself this fall from traveling for 13 weeks for work and being (irrationally) worried my audience would abandon me and hate me.... Apparently I give two dudes I don't know more of a pass on their creative break than I give myself. Anyway, the tl;dr is my therapist thinks phandom is good for me, lol.)
Puffy
drama llama

Not house.

apartment.

(I can’t watch it until my boyfriend gets home (he went from “casual viewer” to texting me “I am your regular Phan trash” in the space of a few months) but I’m excited to see what happens in this one. Starting Dilmas with Dab and Evan moving in together is a good move I think)
Last edited by alittledizzy on Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed twitter embed
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

Umm, I might do timestamps for this video because it's TOO MUCH - literally they moved into a high-rise apartment in the big city...talking about their old apartments. I have feels.
Puffy wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:19 pm (he went from “casual viewer” to texting me “I am your regular Phan trash” in the space of a few months)
OMG literally my partner and me, too. When they WANTED to watch Phan Crack on youtube... I knew I'd broken them.
ratlad
angel bean

im not yet finished watching the vid, but it is redeeming as fuck. holy shit.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

Decorating videos are the best kind of sims videos, and this continued to prove that! Hearing bants about decorating and about each other's tastes is just wonderful. And wow Dan and Phil comparing Dab and Evan to them several times? Hmmmmm. For real though, them talking about moving together and moving out was cute as fuck. I like that both of them want a bath next to a window. I mean, they had that in that hotel in Australia. It's just cute to hear them freak out about it together :') On the same note, the little bit about Phil being "Mr. carpet" was adorable. I also like them talking about having the same table in their Manchester apartment and then talking about Dab and Evan having romantic meals together and pretending they have another friend lmao. I'm just absolutely living for the cuteness in this video and all the reminiscing :happytears:

(super random side note: why does Dan (and I think Phil too) make hand phones with their pinky and index fingers...and not their pinky and thumb? It's just...odd to me lol)
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

[buys Devan the same dining table they had in their manchester apartment]
"Now they can have their romantic dinners"
"Let's put another chair so that they can pretend they have another friend"

(seriously wow.)
noodlebum
flower crown

That Sims video was everything I never knew I needed, so fucking cute oh my word :festivedeppy:
Ablissa
pastel persona

Okay, so apparently they compare Dab and Evan to themselves when they were first moving in together. Good to know. Sets the right mood for the remaining videos.
I really loved this one, lots of cute anecdotes. Especially the thing about carpets had me do a double take. I'm still thinking they will move in 2019.
ratlad
angel bean

them saying that they personally wanted to move away from their family homes and that's the reason they made dab and evan move into a bigger city??? this is. it is too much. they are seriously not holding back.
OH AT ALL.
also i loved this part:
phil: they still don't have a bedside table but who needs one anyway?
dan, in a soft cute fond voice: you didn't have a bedside table in your first manchester apartment

what! the! fuck! :happytears:
Last edited by ratlad on Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fancybum
senpai

I loved it so much :happytears: The koi picture :happytears: the AP colour scheme :happytears:
I know it would be too on the nose, but I want them to make Dab and Evan social media influencers now. The Get Famous expansion pack could be their last claimable expense for dapg....

Dilmas day 1 gets an A+++ :love2:
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I feel like I just watched a Dan and Phil retrospective on first apartment living, wow. I love... everything about it.

(And I'm kind of mad I can't enjoy this without feeling sad.)