Dan & Phil Part 80: You're my plinth of life

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
greenergrass
stress mushroom

vacule wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:49 pm
whatdoiknow wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:31 pm okay I'm only halfway through the video, but I had to stop to say... dan and phil have only rented places. Where you surely can't install or uninstall carpet. So... why have they clearly had passionate debates about carpet vs no carpet in houses (insert 'you know why' gif). alright, back to the video
Am I missing something? Surely it could be a discussion point when viewing flats to rent? I don't see why it has to be an issue only in bought houses?
pearshaped34 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:00 pm
whatdoiknow wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:31 pm okay I'm only halfway through the video, but I had to stop to say... dan and phil have only rented places. Where you surely can't install or uninstall carpet. So... why have they clearly had passionate debates about carpet vs no carpet in houses (insert 'you know why' gif). alright, back to the video
You can install carpet and/or wooden floor in a rented place. I mean I suppose you have to ask but most landlords are quite happy to let you spend your money improving their house. Particularly if their flooring is not new and they'll have to replace it themselves eventually.

However as vacule says I suspect this is something that's likely came up when they are looking for houses to rent and Dan picks slick apartments and Phil is like I want carpets.

These are both valid points, and obviously plausible options as well. I wouldn't be surprised if they were moving at some point though, or have just been looking at house ideas / renovation options, so my post was just having some fun with that idea. (and also just being highly amused how quickly dan was like what bitch you hate carpet when I want it). But yeah, I'm not coming at you guys for throwing out other povs obviously, because like... none of us know anything lol
pearshaped34
morning quiff

whatdoiknow wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:39 pm These are both valid points, and obviously plausible options as well. I wouldn't be surprised if they were moving at some point though, or have just been looking at house ideas / renovation options, so my post was just having some fun with that idea. (and also just being highly amused how quickly dan was like what bitch you hate carpet when I want it). But yeah, I'm not coming at you guys for throwing out other povs obviously, because like... none of us know anything lol
It's all cool. I'm personally hoping they have some plans to buy because when they no doubt have money to buy I find it personally frustrating how much they must waste on rent.

However (on a personal note) I went with my sister's flat to help clean after her tenants moved out two weeks ago and was amazed to find they'd replaced all the carpets like 6-8 months before moving out so felt the need to point out you can replace this stuff in rented flats if you are happy to waste your money (although my sister did say technically they could take it with them when they left but they'd have to store her old carpet and put it back so highly unlikely anyone would do this.)

Back to deppy thy should get wooden flooring. It's only uncomfortable (IMO) because it's cold. Deppy can afford under floor heating and can buy big rugs to satisfy Phil's carpet needs.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Absolutely loved that, could hardly stop smiling. I love all the first flat anecdotes and interior design discussions. They made a lovely looking place. I’d have put in a bookcase and not done such a huge bathroom, but it all looks hella nice. I loved the chill opening dance to the game music and Phil’s soft voice. Also their jumpers, they suit them so well, didn’t think I’d say that about orange, but it works. Makes for a Halloween vibe too. And Phil’s flecks of grey hair and smidge of stubble are just :faint:

Dan’s ig stories had me laughing all evening, each time I peeked at my phone it was open to the one of him squished on the plane. At least it’s quite a short flight.
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Alright, here we go! Even before yesterday’s liveshow, I had really warmed to the idea of Dilmas, and now I feel like I have to savor every moment! Here are my highlights:
  • [0:00] Dan and Phil start the video off right with an incredible dance party. I approve.
  • [0:22] I'm with Phil. Yikes.
    D: Welcome to *to the tune of “The Twelve Days of Christmas”* the first day of Dilmas, my daddies gave to me one Sims video. That’s right. And guess what? There’s more comin’.
    P: Daddies? Oh, my God.
  • [3:11] Phil's made this joke before, but I thought it was still funny the second time. :lol:
    D: Dab and Evan: They just became young adults, and, at the moment, he’s just sitting on his ass--
    P: He needs to get his own place.
    D: --not paying rent.
    P: These walls are thin. They’re hearing things.
    D: A--A lot has happened in this house that would make me incredibly uncomfortable if it was my family.
    P: Yeah.
  • [3:30] Dan does that thing where he bobs his head back and forth while he’s vigorously making a point, and I think it’s cute. :D
  • [3:58] I don't think this was a mistake at all!
    P: Evvie. Evian.
    D: Phil was like, “We should have a Red Bull--"
    P: It was a mistake.
    D: "--so that we’re ready to film.” This was a mistake.
  • [4:51] For some reason, I can more easily picture Phil being the one who's "that friend." :shrug:
    P: There’s always one friend that never dresses for the winter, and I’m just like, “Put a jacket on, mate.”
    D: I--I’m sat right here, Phil. You don’t have to talk to me like that. Okay.
    P: It’s Dan.
  • [7:41] Dan’s reaction to Dab and Evan’s household being called the Howlter household is...something. :lol:
  • [8:12] The comparisons between Dab & Evan and Dan & Phil begin.
    D: We don’t want to be those people, but, for us personally, we very much found that you need to just move into a big city of some kind.
    D: And just jump into life with both feet.
  • [9:06] The comparisons continue.
    D: Well, uh, the deposit on that one--
    P: Holy guacamole.
    D: --plus the weekly rent would make us instantly broke.
    P: Sure.
    D: So that’s fun. It’s like us when we moved to London.
  • [11:22] Over the course of two weekends, I (alone) put together my futon, my bed, my dining table and chairs, my entertainment center, and some shelves in my first unfurnished apartment. I was 22. I don't see what the big deal is, lol.
    P: Do we want it furnished or unfurnished?
    D: This is the big decision. When you moved into your first apartment--
    P: It was a furnished apartment.
    D: --it was furnished. If it was unfurnished, you’d have spent most of it crying on the floor.
    D: We moved into our London apartment. That was the first time it was unfurnished.
    P: Mmm.
    D: And, for about four months, we were just crying on the floor in a big pile of IKEA stuff.
    P: We--We were. We--We didn’t have anything.
  • [12:46] Why are they dragging the Manchester apartment? It seemed pretty nice to me!
    P: We chose well.
    D: We chose well for them. Why are we choosing better for them than we did with ourselves?
    P: I don’t know.
  • [13:30] So much for the “we don’t go outside” branding. 😏
    D: We need to plan out the space.
    P: Yeah. I think it should be open plan living with a smaller bedroom. When you’re living in the city, you don’t want to be in your bedroom much anyway. It’s more just a place to sleep.
  • [14:49] Dan has a very strong affinity for floor-to-ceiling windows.
    P: Where’s the window? Can they have a bath next to the window? Or do we not have a window any more?
    D: Let’s see.
    P: Yes!
    D: *gasps*
    P: That’s perfect!
    D: Oh, my God.
    P: You need to do it the other way around, though.
    D: I am quaking. That’s my dream!
    P: That’s so fun ‘cause if you’re--Like, when you’re in a hotel, and you can just, like, look out the window from a bath.
    D: That makes me want to weep.
  • [15:14] Why, Phil? Why?
    P: Right, we need a poop station.
  • [16:34] More comparisons between Dab & Evan and Dan & Phil.
    D: Why am I so jealous of this?
    P: And maybe some art on this wall.
    D: Frickin’ art?
    P: Just, like, something.
    D: They are--
    P: Something.
    D: --young adults moving into their first apartment.
    P: A gee--
    D: You don’t have art on your ba--This is unrealistic!
    P: A geeky poster.
    D: All of you--This is--was not our experience. This is not your experience.
    P: Something cute there. Just, like, a geeky thing.
  • [17:06] Dan sounds salty.
    P: I think the whole apartment should be wooden floors.
    D: What?
    P: What? What do you mean, “What?”
    D: You’re Mr. Carpet!
    P: I know, but I think--
    D: I’m like, “Oh, floorboards. Taste, Phil.”
    P: I don’t trust them. They’re gonna get food all over the carpet.
    D: And Phil’s like, “Oh, no. You need carpet. Otherwise it’s not comfortable on your feet.” And I’m like, “No one has a cool house with carpet.”
  • [17:46] Gosh, Dan. If you like these kinds of windows so much, you should have found an apartment that had them and better internet while we're at it when you last moved.
    D: *fake cry* These windows! I would get involved in a criminal plot--
    P: Wow.
    D: --to have that.
  • [18:54] Ah, memories.
    P: I mean, they are missing a bedside table, but who needs that really?
    D: You didn't have a bedside table at your first apartment in Manchester.
    D: I didn't.
  • [21:29] The final comparison between Dab & Evan and Dan & Phil.
    D: Now, where is that stereotypical tiny circular dining table?
    P: What? With the chairs that, like, fit underneath it?
    D: Yeah.
    P: “Martian Invader.”
    D: That is literally the one that we had in the Manchester apartment.
    P: It is.
    D: Yep.
    P: Can we--Can we fit chairs around that? I think we can.
    D: See? They are ready to have their romantic dinners.
    D: And then they can pretend that they have another friend, and it’s fine.
  • [23:54] Good to know that Dan and Phil's priorities are set.
    D: I just think--To be honest, Phil, what is important in life?
    P: The internet.
    D: Exactly.
  • [24:35] Dan's disappointed voice is so cute! :D
    P: There.
    D: That looks pretty ner--Oh, it’s not in a frame.
    P: It looks framed. It’s got a black edge.
    D: God.
  • [25:22] First Dan called Evan a work of art, and now this. I repeat: Is Evan Dab's boyfriend or Dan's?
    P: It’s the first mirror butt.
    D: Oh, my God! The first mirror butt of the new apartment.
    P: --of this apartment.
    D: Nice. Evan’s doing squats.
  • Oh, my. The video description. All of the individual social media links are duplicated. In one set, the merch links point to shop.danielhowell.com and amazingphilshop.com. In the other, they both point to danandphilshop.com. I guess this is one way to make sure you have your bases covered... Once again, I'm feeling very trolled by Dan and Phil.
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

obsessivelymoody wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:42 pm (super random side note: why does Dan (and I think Phil too) make hand phones with their pinky and index fingers...and not their pinky and thumb? It's just...odd to me lol)
I recall Dan saying in a liveshow once that he does it because his hands are so large, but I have no idea which liveshow. I agree that it's odd, but I also find it endearing.
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?
pearshaped34
morning quiff

Now that people have established Phil did have a bedside table I find it quite interesting both Dan and Phil agreed he had no bedside table at his first apartment (unless they are talking about on the other side of the bed).

I mean it is a weird thing for Dan to comment on it either way because you only would really recall someone not having a bedside table ten years ago if you were regularly sleeping in the bed and had to deal with the inconvenience of having no place to your rest things or drink. Just noticing and remembering this fact about your friends bedroom 8-9 years later is otherwise unusual.
chumchum
not a first-time poster
Pronouns: she/her

Hi, this is my first post here:) I play the Sims and DnP's ignorance of the Sims in the Sims videos, despite the cuteness of the videos, make me want to jump through the ceiling sometimes...
[angry rant below]
Dan and Phil's Sims video made me want to EXPLODE. They almost bought the gross apt because of the window and I was like YOU UNCULTURED SWINES THE OTHER NICER APT HAS THAT TOO and then they go on to tear down the apt after they bought it cuz Phil liked the layout. 🤦‍♀ They almost put a bed by a wall, in an apt for a couple. There can be no woohoo with a bed against the wall, not to mention they can't both sleep in it like that to begin with. THE MICROWAVE. ANGLED. ON THE CORNER COUNTER. WHAT. NO. THAT IS WHAT YOU DO EVERYTHING TO AVOID. And they kept wasting the money and I was like whyyyyy. Whyyyy?! But I guess the apt did turn out pretty nice... So I'll forgive them for everything but the money wasting. DANIEL HOWELL WHAT'S WITH YOU AND BOOJIE COMPUTERS.
phoenixfeather
dank meme

autumnhearth wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:13 pm
Except that he was wrong. Phil totally had a bedside table in his first apartment. But only one, on Phil’s side of the bed not Dan’s. Perhaps he remembers the inconvenience. See 33 secs in:
this is great bc i was actually trying to mentally piece together what phil’s old apartment looked like when i was watching the video earlier. it looks like dab & evans first apartment has nearly the same layout except the dining table and lounge area switched spots. even phil’s bathroom seems kind of ~extra for a cheap apartment, kind of like the sims one. looks like they were feeling the nostalgia with this remodel tbh
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

oh i wanna make a comment on phil saying "mirrors make a room look bigger"
oh gee, i wonder which room has at LEAST 3 mirrors in it.... one being phil's old mirror from the other apartment.
seriously though, does a mirror make that much a difference? i mean maybe if it's the gigantic ass fancy ass mirror dan has.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
starwatersong
phabergé

Was rewatching the hiatus section of the live show with a friend who hadn’t seen it and I didn’t notice the first time that at 23:10 Phil said, “You’ll see that in the video” regarding him making an inappropriate joke about the time off.

That made me relieved because I was worried about the viewers who don’t watch live shows or follow more regular viewers on Twitter/Tumblr/Instagram etc.

Loved, loved, loved the first day of Dilmas. We were shouting about the placement of the bed, but they’ll muddle through as they always do. Looking forward to four+ more days of content. :love1: :festivedeppy:
knq
lava lamp

I was poking around at their old videos and Phil’s bedside table appears to only exist in that one shot of the bedroom where he shows it to the camera. Even in the same video, from other angles it’s not there. What is the mystery of the vanishing table?

I did notice that in his first apartment, Phil’s bed was pushed up against the wall, just like they put the bed in the Sims apartment. Guys. That was a poor design choice the first time and it’s a poor design choice now, come on.
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

Martyn just showed a bit of decoration in his insta story and idk why but it REALLY made me emotional. Maybe because wow, the Lesters are really all so fond of Christmas? And Dan and Cornelia are there to share their festive happiness?
:gayaf:
sparkle
blobfish

me @ me rn:

also me:

I'm on team forever home 2k19. I'm on team 'the gay has increased 200x in the last month'.

I'm severely on team 'this is gonna be big'
rizzo wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:48 pm Put this video on the top of my pile of Videos-Recently-Posted-That-Are-Leading-To-A-BIG-THING. Because like could this have been ANY MORE OBVIOUS?

They’re basically out, y’all. They’re basically out.
+1 they're basically out.
:sparkle: dan howell gives me life :sparkle:
don't waste your time
or time will waste you
:sparkle:
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Ataraxia25 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:50 am Martyn just showed a bit of decoration in his insta story and idk why but it REALLY made me emotional. Maybe because wow, the Lesters are really all so fond of Christmas? And Dan and Cornelia are there to share their festive happiness?
It really brings me so much joy knowing that Dan is there and that he wanted us to know. I love one (1) family and I'm gonna live vicariously through them.
Also we better get a soft selfie, I am waiting.

Unrelated and sorry if someone else already pointed this out, but i was just rewatching the most recent liveshow and when they got asked about getting a dog, while Phil said 'but can we look after ourselves?' or something, Dan started saying something that sounded like 'when we will..' and then cut off. What was he gonna say? This is gonna haunt my dreams.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
citizen_erased
truth bomb

Just a quick heads up for those of you who, like me, were waiting for the II dvd to not be pre-order: the shop is updated, you can now just buy the dvd instead of preordering from a separate page. And the 'have the courage to exist' bracelet is back in stock. Other things might also be in stock again, I didn't check because I already got the things I wanted to have anyway (dvd, bracelet, tour plushies).

Also I have a headache and English is hard so I'm sorry if none of my words made any sense.
Ablissa
pastel persona

citizen_erased wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:57 am Just a quick heads up for those of you who, like me, were waiting for the II dvd to not be pre-order: the shop is updated, you can now just buy the dvd instead of preordering from a separate page. And the 'have the courage to exist' bracelet is back in stock. Other things might also be in stock again, I didn't check because I already got the things I wanted to have anyway (dvd, bracelet, tour plushies).

Also I have a headache and English is hard so I'm sorry if none of my words made any sense.
Oh my gosh, thanks for this! I was so bummed about not getting the bracelet, now I didn't wait and bought it. Thank you, if not for you I might have missed it again! <3
Ataraxia25
flower crown

thank you @citizen_erased! i waited 30 mins to appease my conscience but then i immediately ordered it.

Also, after having a read on Twitter, I see that a lot of people consider Dilmas as the official end of dapg and i wanted to know if I'm the only one not considering Dilmas as the end? It would really break my heart if they really ended dapg so I'm in full denial mode : I keep repeating to myself that Dilmas is the end for now but that the boys will come back to the channel after their (not too long (>6 months)) creative hiatus. Tbh, seeing everyone thinking it's really the end makes me
quite nervous so I wanted to know if I was the only one still having a little bit of faith/denial ?
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

it's hard to think it's the definite end to the gaming channel tbh. i can understand with things like pinof ending since it's a tradition and 10 is perfect to stop at and it's only once a year... but the gaming channel? if they have fun doing it, then what is the actual reason for stopping it for a bit? it just doesn't seem like something they would voluntarily put to an end unless something got in the way.
it doesn't seem right especially since the last couple vids we got and ESPECIALLY (x2) the first episode of dilmas. why would they just not go back to gaming videos after the pure joy and carefree attitude they've had recently? i would understand and be fine with a 'creative break' if we knew for sure that they'd be back... idk i just want more information about this decision and how they personally feel. i want to understand.
it does hurt that we won't get anything for a while (even longer than the breaks they usually take after christmas) when they seem to be enjoying most.
i really wish i "had a feeling" that they are coming back but my anxiety always takes over and i take on other people's worries instead. i don't even like expressing this opinion because i hate knowing that other people are feeling shitty and i don't want to put that on someone else.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

They seem to have personalised each gift they sent out with the dvd as Carrie Hope Fletcher just posted about some cola sweets which I don't think PJ had. Maybe he did? They're sweet boys really <3
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
autumnhearth
senpai

knq wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:42 am I was poking around at their old videos and Phil’s bedside table appears to only exist in that one shot of the bedroom where he shows it to the camera. Even in the same video, from other angles it’s not there. What is the mystery of the vanishing table?

I did notice that in his first apartment, Phil’s bed was pushed up against the wall, just like they put the bed in the Sims apartment. Guys. That was a poor design choice the first time and it’s a poor design choice now, come on.
As far as I can tell it stayed there, it’s just very low and you could only tell when something was on it, though in several of the vids it wasn’t in shot. I didn’t come here to argue that though. What I find interesting is that after a few vids filmed on the bed (Dan filmed a couple there too), Phil moved his filming location to his lounge, though people complained that they missed his bedspread so he draped it on the couch. Then when they moved to their Manchester apartment he was back on the bed. So glad he’s ready to move on, for himself.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

autumnhearth wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:04 pm
knq wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:42 am I was poking around at their old videos and Phil’s bedside table appears to only exist in that one shot of the bedroom where he shows it to the camera. Even in the same video, from other angles it’s not there. What is the mystery of the vanishing table?

As far as I can tell it stayed there, it’s just very low and you could only tell when something was on it, though in several of the vids it wasn’t in shot. I didn’t come here to argue that though. What I find interesting is that after a few vids filmed on the bed (Dan filmed a couple there too), Phil moved his filming location to his lounge, though people complained that they missed his bedspread so he draped it on the couch. Then when they moved to their Manchester apartment he was back on the bed. So glad he’s ready to move on, for himself.
My favorite thing about those early videos from Phil's first Manchester place is how obviously both sides of the bed were slept on and how Phil absolutely never bothered to straighten anything up. I've probably watched that handful of videos more than most other ones on Phil's channel just because there's something so sweet about how excited he (and Dan, aside from Dan being horribly ill in the first one) both were to be there.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

sparkle wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:24 am
rizzo wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:48 pm Put this video on the top of my pile of Videos-Recently-Posted-That-Are-Leading-To-A-BIG-THING. Because like could this have been ANY MORE OBVIOUS?

They’re basically out, y’all. They’re basically out.
+1 they're basically out.
I don’t think they’re making it obvious as a specific ploy for people to surmise that they’re Finally Out Now. I just think - they feel free now. They feel comfortable. They’re putting themselves in a place of longevity with it, where there’s less stress associated with holding back and more of them as real people showing a less effort-requiring facet of themselves in their content. I think the jump feels bigger right now because they're very giddy with whatever change is coming, and a resolution to be more themselves than they've ever been might be part of it. But I shy away from considering it a real 'coming out' as a big thing because I think I just... don't believe they need that.
Ataraxia25
flower crown

too cute, i'm dead.
fancybum
senpai

:happytears: Okay now waiting for Dan’s pic from the other side of the table OR ELSE

Edit: and Cornelia’s pic on instagram. They look like they’re currently trapped in some kind of festive commercial. The photogenicness of it all hurts my eyes
Last edited by fancybum on Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
sonicgreen
woodland creature

ugh he knows hes cute