Dan & Phil Part 80: You're my plinth of life

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

He really is just so very pretty.

When will Phil give us his skincare secrets? :ourmoney:
thestigdrivesamini
sad dimple

Something tells me we’ll be using the :happytears: an awful lot over the next 9 days. It’s day 1 and I’m already so soft I might turn to slime <3
vacule
squish

sonicgreen wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:12 pm ugh he knows hes cute
:happytears: Dan is so lucky
hello9217
flower crown
Pronouns: she/her

Seth perfectly captures how i feel
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

Dab's bathroom
My bathroom
Their idea of how a "young adult" with no understanding of art decorates is very accurate :lol:
sparkle
blobfish

RIP Sparkle:

22/05/1995 - 21/12/2018

Cause of death; festive Phil Lester

:happytears:

(Can the next thread name just be that emoticon)
:sparkle: dan howell gives me life :sparkle:
don't waste your time
or time will waste you
:sparkle:
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Phil using the smiling emoji as a caption reminds me of when Dan did the same when he posted that pic of himself on the IOM last year. Same energy.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
Ablissa
pastel persona

Can we get more of this please. Like way more.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

:rofl: they make me laugh more than swoon sometimes, love Dan’s posh pinky pose and the flowery teacup. Ah, cuteness. Cornelia’s photo is lovely too.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

Don't those two know I have work to do today and I can't handle processing their adorableness?

(I mean, please don't stop, but also please stop but don't.)
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

it's just the first day! Just the first day. And i'm already a puddle on the floor.
:gayaf:
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I didn't post about the Sims video yet because ugh busy week, but I loved it so much. Four perfect videos in a row for those keeping score. Dan and Phil taking a shot at interior design always provides the best domestic Sims content in general, but this time it was off the charts. The constant comparisons between them and Devan. All the throwbacks to the apartment that they have rented together, and the one they didn't (but where Dan still spent half his time and not just to do his washing lbr). They're a couple of sentimental fucks. :festivedeppy:

I'm a believer. The forever home is coming. Joining people on that hill. :garbage:
Highlights and commentary:
- Great start with the little dance party.
- Daddies.
- Phil's enthusiasm about virtual snow is real cute.
- Who in their right mind would allow Phil to drink Red Bull?
- Dan accusing other people of being a diva.
- Love the visions I'm having of Phil being a mom and fussing over Dan not wearing a proper coat.
- Deppy making decisions for Devan based on their own lives. Love to see it. :ribena:
- "(Blah blah something about rent and going broke.) Us when we moved to London." Dan loves his own rags to riches story.
- I sure do wonder if Dan remembers the apartment that he used to 'do laundry' in. :lol:
- Phil doesn't want to live next to a loud karaoke bar. Their neighbors can relate.
- "That's Phil!!" You're looking for an apartment for your Sims not for yourselves :')
- Phil is such a voyeur lmao.
- SHOUT OUT TO THE WARDROBE. I loved that video so much, it was the funniest damn thing at the time.
- "Dan and Phil in Manchester are quaking." It's like they want me dead with all these throwbacks.
- "We chose well for them! Why are we choosing better for them than for ourselves." Maybe you could... remedy that next year? Hm? 8-)
- "Does this give you flashbacks to the first ever episode of Dil?" STOOOOP.
- "THAT'S MY DREAM!!!" They sure have a lot of dreams about interior design.
- Young adults do not have art on their walls! Unless they're friends with one like Deppy. Or just substitute with an enormous One Direction poster in the toilet door.
- "I think the apartment should have wooden floors." "WHAT?? YOU'RE MR. CARPET!!" I'm living for this video.
- THE KOI PAINTING. DON'T TOUCH ME. :happytears:
- Dan remembering the lack of bedside table in Phil's apartment... according to this thread on HIS side. I'm cackling.
- We learned last year during The Move that storage is v important.
- Phil thinking that a rock looks good as a coffee table is one of the many reasons I'm glad that Dan is his soulmate. Someone gotta tell him no. :tsk:
- I love the Apartment Pro Tips so much. Please educate us on interior design!
- "That's literally the one we had in the Manchester apartment. See? They're ready to have their romantic dinners." Me: silently screaming.
- That seems like a dangerous place to put a microwave but ok.
- Does Dan own Apple stock or what?
- Capita£ester is gonna chop Dan's arm off for overspending.
- We get it Dan, your taste is better. And expensive. :roll:
- No offense but idgaf about Dalien. Feed me Devan content.
And omg FINALLY Instastories are back. Dan's latest one is too cute. <3
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
opendoor
rainbow nerd

I've noticed most people are either upset about Pinof or the gaming channel (and a minority aren't upset at all you well-adjusted freaks). For me the blow was Pinof, not the gaming channel.

ON PINOF:

I didn't see this coming. :shock:
I suppose their reason in the liveshow was alright, I super hate TV shows that go on past when they're good (looking at you seasons 6 onwards of Supernatural). But also the total Pinof running time is like, an hour, which is hardly enough time to jump the shark. I've been getting more into them every year as well. It's sad. I think I'll be sad about this for a while tbh.

Also it so wasn't bloody clear Pinof was going to stop, all the stuff about the abrupt ending echoing the first one and the description could have just been because it was the tenth anniversary, not because it was the last one. This feeds in a bit into my frustration at D&P for unclear communication with the audience. They want us to be mindreaders except for the times that they don't. :shrug: When I was reading through the past few pages I was gratified to see other people expressing this. Also I s2g I remember one of them saying they intended to make Pinof indefinitely.

In conclusion they better not end any other traditions for a long-ass time.

ON THE GAMING CHANNEL:

I'm OK with the gaming channel pausing though. I was really feeling that channel needs rejuvenating. I'd love it to come back with some changes. If it ended permanently I wouldn't mind as long as there was still regularly uploaded joint content. I'm not a gamer though, every game I've played except for pokemon has been because of them.

OTHER LIVESHOW STUFF:

The AmazingPhil background thing is great news, that coat stuff was adorable and recovered my mood a bit but ultimately the two announcements overshadowed everything.

I re-state my desire for a radio show 2019 and request they don't do podcasts simply because I don't like them as a medium. I could go into more indepth reasoning but this post is already approaching novel-length. I'd prefer casual joint vids or a radio show.

PS: I avoided phandom stuff for the past two days while I recovered emotionally and y'all managed to fill like 10 pages here which is impressive.
Last edited by opendoor on Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I miss Dan Howell's stupid face.
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

This isn't a Dan and Phil video, obviously, but I couldn't help but watch this and think of them. Dan more than Phil. Like... Maybe it's because I've been sick for like two months straight and everything feels like it's falling apart over here but I started crying just thinking of them while watching this video.

It's about Creative Burnout and how it is inevitable and there is no way to truly avoid it, just to learn from it.

(edit to add: it's also fully CCed which please DnP. Follow through with the CC thread. I personally need it so much)
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

That video was great.

I won't fill in details because PJ asked people to not share the intimate details outside patreon, but PJ just did a really good post on burnout/exhaustion today for his patreon backers.

So creative burnout, it's in the air - I've gotten similar "i am sorry I'm not making stuff right now" posts from half the other creators I back on patreon (including my own post about burnout a few weeks ago to my own backers). So yea, I'm glad to see them taking a break to figure out what they want to make.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

plinthofmylife wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:30 pm That video was great.

I won't fill in details because PJ asked people to not share the intimate details outside patreon, but PJ just did a really good post on burnout/exhaustion today for his patreon backers.

So creative burnout, it's in the air - I've gotten similar "i am sorry I'm not making stuff right now" posts from half the other creators I back on patreon (including my own post about burnout a few weeks ago to my own backers). So yea, I'm glad to see them taking a break to figure out what they want to make.
It's interesting because I'm not sure that just the creative process itself is what's burning people out, I think it's a combination of the creative process along with flagging views. A trend in creators who are burning out (aside from Dan with his break, which I don't think is the same thing) is that they're people who are struggling to get numbers - usually struggling in a massive way. Grace went from being offered her own tv show to her videos rarely cracking 200k. Her podcast videos don't even get 10k views. Lilly Singh went from top of the youtube ladder to, over the course of the past year, getting a fraction of the views she used to get.

I think it must be very hard to be continuing to do exactly what you did before but now people are tired over it. And I think that's where Dan and Phil are at, and I think for them they're trying to figure out how to avoid that. Last year it was a worrying event if a video didn't reach a million views in a day. This year even Sims doesn't reach a million. I do think DAPG was still their biggest moneymaker just by virtue of regularity in posting, and I think it was easy content, but if they're going into 2019 without major plans they might be in a place where they think they'll have time and energy to do more than just the easy content - and also try to offer something fresh that does more than just coast on dedicated audience retention. And in that regard I think they're doing a pretty good job of avoiding the total burnout, which in the end will probably be better for us as an audience.

But I'm still sad about the gaming channel and I'm still gonna continue to have a knot in my stomach until we know what comes next.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

opendoor wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:09 pm Also it so wasn't bloody clear Pinof was going to stop, all the stuff about the abrupt ending echoing the first one and the description could have just been because it was the tenth anniversary, not because it was the last one. This feeds in a bit into my frustration at D&P for unclear communication with the audience. They want us to be mindreaders except for the times that they don't. :shrug: When I was reading through the past few pages I was gratified to see other people expressing this. Also I s2g I remember one of them saying they intended to make Pinof indefinitely.
I just wanted to highlight this because, ain't it the damn truth. While I'm not particularly hurt by the end of pinof (and was one of the many who presumed it may be over), I agree that they made it incredibly unclear.

I'm still bitter we didn't give it the send-off it deserved.
parallel
phabergé

Aww, I can imagine Dan taking that photo for Phil.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:36 pm It's interesting because I'm not sure that just the creative process itself is what's burning people out, I think it's a combination of the creative process along with flagging views. A trend in creators who are burning out (aside from Dan with his break, which I don't think is the same thing) is that they're people who are struggling to get numbers - usually struggling in a massive way.
I would agree somewhat with that, but in my case, a lot of the creators I follow are actually not just on youtube, many are comic book illustrators, or writers, and are generally doing well from an audience perspective - and quite a few aren't stuck in quite the same cycle as youtubers (very few people expect an author to churn out a book every single week.)

Below is my musings on the current political climate/burnout in internet creators, tw for...well, current politics.
For me, a large part of the exhaustion I'm seeing is the combination of processing a really stressful political climate (including, but not limited to, journalists being killed in consulates, 23 mass shootings this year in the states, Brexit, US immigration policy; Article 13; North Korean war games; threatening trans* rights in the US) - on *top* of trying to create things for our audiences in a culture that moves on to the next thing in .5 seconds.

For many of us that make things on the internet for our livelihood; the internet used to be fun - twitter used to be a fun place to play and connect with our audience, now it's a place for the united states president to shoot off racist life-altering garbage at 3 in the morning. So many of us are seeing our friends lose their rights, the government put refugee children in cages, and we want to do something - anything - but the way the past 2-3 years have been, we have trouble feeling effective, even in the online community spaces that we're supposedly *good* at using. And if it's your JOB to be in these online spaces, you can't escape the bad with the good.

I'm a morning radio presenter, and I'm expected to have the US president on tweet notifications so that I can predict what will happen to the stock market when he tweets about interest rates from the toilet. For me, twitter used to be a place of positivity, even when it was used for organizing. Even a few years ago, I had to explain what twitter was on the air to old people everytime we mentioned it. Now, lol, it's expected we'll talk about stupid internet tweets as part of economic reporting.

I mean, my job is literally turning economic news into cat puns, which is the coolest job I ever could've made for myself, and I still get to the point where having to be on the internet to consume (fun!) things is exhausting mentally because there's so much to process.
knq
lava lamp

I just realized casual viewers are going to find out the channel is going on hiatus on Christmas Eve. :snow: If Dan continues the "on the first day of dilmas my daddies gave to me" jingle, what's the fifth day going to be? Abandonment issues?

I feel like this is a step away from trying to "manage millions of people's emotions" from Dan's ISG rant and away from the "we don't care if it hurts or not we just want to give the people what they want" mentality of the II show. I'd really like to see them moving away from that sort of thinking. As much as I'm both bitter and amused by the timing of their hiatus, I'd actually be very upset if their gaming channel didn't go on hiatus at this point.

I don't know why this comment is about the hiatus when I meant to make it about the Sims video? :shrug: I want to add "Dan trying to place every single piece of furniture at an angle before realizing it won't fit" to the long list of cute shit that video brought us. It reminded me of that one video of Dan straightening every single one of Phil's cards while playing Cards Against Humanity.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

knq wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:56 pm I just realized casual viewers are going to find out the channel is going on hiatus on Christmas Eve. :snow: If Dan continues the "on the first day of dilmas my daddies gave to me" jingle, what's the fifth day going to be? Abandonment issues?

I feel like this is a step away from trying to "manage millions of people's emotions" from Dan's ISG rant and away from the "we don't care if it hurts or not we just want to give the people what they want" mentality of the II show. I'd really like to see them moving away from that sort of thinking. As much as I'm both bitter and amused by the timing of their hiatus, I'd actually be very upset if their gaming channel didn't go on hiatus at this point.
I’m actually very glad that they did address the gaming channel and pinof because a lot of us have been uneasy since the beginning of the year. I’m not going to lie and say I’m settled about this because we still don’t know anything about their actual plans but at least they didn’t haru this.

I do feel for casual viewers but I also think this goes with what we’ve been talking about all year in that deppy are not really focused on the casual viewers right now. I certainly hope they don’t forget about the loyal viewers too but right now I have faith they won’t.
BuffyFiona
sofa crease

Yeah @opendoor I really felt the same way about the announcements re: pinof and the gaming channel. I'm still sad about pinof ending, though I looked back at pinof 10 and realized that the news made their plain description of "This was the most fun we've ever had." make a lot more sense since they were talking about pinof as a whole... and that thought made me tear up while waiting for my trolley TT-TT However, I still feel like I wasn't prepared for it at all, even though some people seem to have expected it (though I've seen people say that ever year).

On a brighter note, that Phil selfie has me in RAPTURES... so handsome, so warm, and so good is right... :valentine: :hearts:
Ablissa
pastel persona

Awww I wanted more Devan.

BuffyFiona
sofa crease

I'm at 16:40 and............. did Dan just say that Phil would join an alien sex club........ because unlike cheese he does like sex.......................... I don't know how to feel y'all.......................... anyway I am quite into the video so far!!! Was not expecting that as I've never cared much about Dalien....
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

heh "amazingprobe" on the end card. /mature