Dan & Phil Part 80: You're my plinth of life

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
obsessivelymoody
emo goose
Pronouns: she/her

That was cute. It's always funny to watch the gears turn in their (..uh mostly Phil's in this case lol) minds with games like this. I love that Phil can't make a video without mentioning ass anymore (or penis. sometimes both, but also like just sex in general tbh). I also love the little domestic about the decorations too. I do wonder if they're going to have some kind of season finale/ending of Dan vs. Phil at some point with how full the board is.
Ablissa
pastel persona

I mean, I said this on tumblr, but that was literally 15 minutes of shameless flirting. And yeah... I did love it. I need to learn to stay mad at them. :lol: Still hoping for some sort of an announcement in regards to the dvd, but tbh, not holding my breath. I mean they still haven't addressed the digital version.

Just repeating the spon here since it's a new page and we still need votes for our festive watch fest (this Sunday, Dec 16th)
Ablissa wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:23 pm Currently voting for:
- Videos to watch during our festive watch fest: https://www.strawpoll.me/17026984 (you can pick more than one)
- Using rabb.it vs going back to our old format for this watch fest: https://www.strawpoll.me/17027001
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

I really liked that video, it was adorably flirty and a good mix of game play and bants- also they are both surprisingly good at that game.

I can't believe they're tied. I wonder what they were trying to say about how they filmed the Beasts of Balance video and why they didn't print it out... since they clearly did put it on the board in the video.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Uhf, I fricking loved that. Bants on fire. Also pants on fire, Philip Lester, random lies all over the place. So many times calling their full names at the screen at naughty and gross comments (Phil, we don’t need to know every time you get sweaty and Dan with the throwing things, honestly :tsk: ). I was pleased with myself for getting most of the answers, though once you get one then the rhyming word isn’t so hard to think of, unless English isn’t your first language, that must be tough. I got Widow Twankey and wonky donkey, though I didn’t get snowmobile either.

The maroon jumper never looked so maroon before, it looks ordinary red on Phil in the photos on the website, though now I look again it’s maroon on Cornelia. Different lighting, obv. Ordered it and will probably return the navy one I ordered when it finally arrives, not shipped yet thanks to Phil’s planner.

I don’t really register how they behave as flirting, never have, though I see what people mean, I just love when they’re sparky and bright like this, which is most of the time thankfully.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

I watched half of it and stopped. Maybe this is more fun for natives who can guess along? I like to think that I have a pretty good vocabulary for a non-Native speaker, but I haven't heard half the words they're using. Sorry lads, this game is too smart for this foreigner.
Grumpybisexual
delia smith
Pronouns: She/her

Okay but am I the only one who also immediately thought of “Mariah Carey is a furry”? What does that say about me? I’m ashamed of myself :rofl: :rofl:

I really enjoyed the video and even managed to guess a few which is a miracle considering English isn’t my native language! 10/10 would watch again !
Amiaw
interactive introvert

So if they are ending Dan vs. Phil and they also end up closing out the Sims series then what is left for DanandPhil games next year?

I'm genuinely curious as to how they are going to proceed from here.

I don't think they are getting rid of the channel because DnP are shockingly bad at being subtle and nothing they have done has even hinted at them not continuing on but we do know that they've been mentioning old traditions all year as sort of a closure so what is their intention? I'd hoped that we'd get some kind of insight but other than the HMV interview with the answer they gave from 2016 tatinoff I have no clue what their channels are going to look like next year.
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

remember at the beginning of the year we were all like "wow dan can't go one video without mentioning sex acts"
and then phil had to Do It To Us and join in.

cute vid! i really like card/board games, but i literally only understood 2 or 3 answers. how the hell do you get them THAT FAST if you live outside of the UK?

i don't want them to recreate any video tbh. i would be fine with another festive ditl video if it wasn't forced or tried to have references to the one in 2014. if it was just a natural "hey let's film this today!" sort of thing then that'd be cool. tbh festive ditl is very special so idk how a second one will turn out.
i just want them to show us natural, domestic festive tid bits into their life. like their ig stories from a couple of days ago except extended.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

My guess is that a) The Sims won't really end, they're just using the five days to basically wrap up Dil's ~life as a main character and establish Dab and Evan, and b) Dan vs Phil won't really end they'll just call it a finale so they can start over with a fresh empty board in 2019.
kavat
pastel persona

Aw that was cute. I love the decorations and the sweaters and everything (and the phrase Christmas sweats made me think of this old gem)
It seems very fitting that they would end Dan vs Phil, with how they counted the score for the first time in ages. I'm fine with that actually. I hope they don't end the Sims though, I'd be fine with them just shifting focus to Devan instead of Dil. Let Dilmas be his last voyage.
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

I hope they don’t end the Dan vs Phil games because they’re some of my favourite videos. I love their competitiveness.

I enjoyed this video, so many bants throughout. My favourite bit though was Dan calling Phil “you fricking dick” and then a Phil’s face when he tried to think of the answer. haha! I rewatched it so many times 😂
Also when they show the decorations at the beginning and they say “our stockings” Aww do they make stockings for each other?
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

I was so Phil in this video. I couldn't for the life of me remember the word for snowmobile.

Most of the 'British' words are also in the commonwealth so I got most of them at the same time. The ones I struggled with were the more religious ones as my family weren't religious.

I really enjoyed this one. It probably helps that someone shared the commentary with me. :platonic:
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

That was so cute. They are so cute. Have all my festive uwus. <3

I also literally understood maybe 3 things in that game, but that's just the struggle of a non native speaker. 8 years of English classes and self study goes a long way, but not for games like this. Luckily they were so cute and happy and FLIRTY that I really didn't mind not being able to keep up. I laughed really hard at Mariah Carey Is A Furry though, and I'd like to formally apologize to my cat for so rudely disturbing him.

I'd be happy if they cleared the board for Dan vs. Phil next year, just because I've been lowkey annoyed at there seemingly being no point to the competition for years now. I definitely don't want it to actually end though.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
thespacecat
tol bean
Pronouns: he/him

I’m too american for that video, I didn’t even get one! Except i’m with Phil i thought it would be “Mariah Cary is a Furry” and shouted that at my phone because i so thought that it would be right (good thing i’m home alone rn :facepalm2:).

At the end i was expecting some sort of jumpcut away from the banter, but it kept going and wow that was great. I want them to leave more of the banter in! It’s so fun to watch something where it’s not so scheduled like “phil makes a joke, dan reacts, jumpcut to endscene” and instead flows for longer than usual, doesn’t have a set pattern, and is all in all more natural and lets the banter evolve lol.

Also they were really flirty in this video haha.

I do hope that they do a special video at the end besides dilmas/bloopers. I'm not that excited for dilmas because I don't really like the sims, but I'll probably still watch just to watch them. And the bloopers are something I'm really looking forward to because 1) more pinof content, and 2) I remember watching them on Christmas last year while waiting for everyone to come into the living room to open presents and it makes me nostalgic lol.

Unrelated(ish) Note:
I really want one of those dinosaur sweaters from mimei's shop now. I watch hers and duncan's videos occasionally but didn't know about those and they look so soft! what's with d&p always making me want to buy things
scientia
phabergé

The video was well timed, that’s for sure. Seems that some people are temporarily happy to forget the II or liveshow issues :shrug:
knq
lava lamp

I am intrigued by the mystery of where the bird-lizard sticker from the Beasts of Balance video disappeared to.

I thought maybe they took the sticker off for the sims, since they posted that first but filmed it second, but you can see it in the background in the sims video. Phil didn’t even print off the same sticker as last time. I liked the bird lizard. :(
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

scientia wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:42 pm The video was well timed, that’s for sure. Seems that some people are temporarily happy to forget the II or liveshow issues :shrug:
I think also having an answer from someone shop-associated (Martyn) helped, too. While I'd still appreciate Dan and Phil addressing it, we know the cause now - the enamel pins were delayed - and we have their hopeful shipping estimate - next Monday.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

I'm watching the video now and loving it, but I have one very important question before I carry on: What the hell is Lapland, and when did Santa move there from the North Pole?!!

(but no, in general it's been a fun video to both watch and play along with, even though I'm from Canada. I could get most of clues so far even with the British-isms, but I'm left ??? over Lapland)
hello9217
flower crown

Been away all yesterday and today so I'm just catching up and kind of skimmed through everything so sorry if I'm repeating something.

I remember after phil did the manilla tweet, people were very upset, and rightfully so, about how he addressed the issue. Something that a lot of people agreed on was that dnp should have made a twitter for their tour that someone ran to address all the issues. So why does that not apply now. The person distributing the dvds is irl shop, who do have a twitter, so shouldn't it be their issue to let people know that shipment on dvds are late, not dan and phil's. I agree that they are absolute shit at communication but I don't really know if this should be something they address. Perhaps I'm just cutting them too much slack. :shrug:

Any way video was super adorable. Really put me in the festive vibes even though I did not get but one correct.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

hello9217 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:56 am I remember after phil did the manilla tweet, people were very upset, and rightfully so, about how he addressed the issue. Something that a lot of people agreed on was that dnp should have made a twitter for their tour that someone ran to address all the issues. So why does that not apply now. The person distributing the dvds is irl shop, who do have a twitter, so shouldn't it be their issue to let people know that shipment on dvds are late, not dan and phil's. I agree that they are absolute shit at communication but I don't really know if this should be something they address. Perhaps I'm just cutting them too much slack. :shrug:
Personally I think I would agree with this statement if Phil didn't involve himself so heavily in all of the dnpshop and AP shop spon and if Dan and Phil hadn't said multiple times that they are heavily involved in the merch. I'm not upset with the late delivery because I had very low expectations going in and expected the delivery to be delayed but If irl wants to continue to grow as a company they shouldn't have a reputation for eventually getting their products or a refund to people.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I'm too sleepy and my thoughts are too scattered to even attempt a spoilery post, but I feel intensely fond of Dan and Phil after listening to that commentary track.

Also, this won me over to team 'they should make a podcast.' Two hours of natural voices and soft giggles and alternating banter-y insults with genuine compliments often in the same breath... ugh, fuck me up. Where do I sign the petition.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:19 am I'm too sleepy and my thoughts are too scattered to even attempt a spoilery post, but I feel intensely fond of Dan and Phil after listening to that commentary track.

Also, this won me over to team 'they should make a podcast.' Two hours of natural voices and soft giggles and alternating banter-y insults with genuine compliments often in the same breath... ugh, fuck me up. Where do I sign the petition.
I second this so so so so much! Perhaps this is too much of a compliment, but I would rate the commentary as equally as good as the mukbang. I said it.... I said it and I'm not taking it back.

There were so many soft moments. And I genuinely learned so many new little fun facts and like... really got to see another side of them? Can't explain that but it was there.

My absolute favorite bit:
When they both mentioned how AmazingPhil has sort of become a martyr. And Phil touches on how actually he's really not that angelic and he has a sense of humor-- that whole convo was so real. I now hold a permanent grudge against Dan for interrupting Phil there, because I'd have loved to hear him talk more about this persona he's ended up in vs who he actually is.
itasca00 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:24 pm
  • My impression is that Dan seems to have tried really, really hard to be sincere in the commentary. His general attitude reminds me of the attitude he had in the mukbang. Actually, the overall feeling of this commentary feels very similar to that of the mukbang for me.
    • Dan's pride in this show seems to know no bounds. His praise for how well things were done is so over-the-top that it's almost comical! (Spoilery comment below.)
      Phil even commented on Dan's attitude. Dan said that his self-esteem is low so often that they're allowed to talk about something they did that's good.
      I didn't mind this (especially given the comment in the spoiler above), but it was very jarring coming from Dan, the king of self-deprecating humor.
    • Over and over and over again, Dan brings up the central theme of Interactive Introverts--giving the people what they want--along with what the point of each segment of the show is supposed to be. I have to say that all of these comments taught me a lot about the way Dan thinks (in general, and especially about his creations). Unfortunately, his philosophy makes no fucking sense to me. Different statements or inferences he made at different points in the commentary seem to completely contradict each other. I'll be very interested to see what the discussion of this philosophy looks like here on IDB.
The first point you made stuck out pretty severely to me as well and while I really strongly agree with the second bit, it's honestly just nice to listen to Dan waffle on about something he's proud of. He so often shrinks away from... almost everything else they do: merch, live streams, even his own videos, that listening to him talk about something with pride is just plain heart-warming, even if it is a bit over the top.
Not even in the commentary, but I keep thinking there's a message in the show that I'm missing? Like something Dan really wanted to say that he thinks he got across that I'm maybe not picking up. Because it's supposed to have this big message and I kinda get it? But it feels just about as inconclusive to me as The Memeing of Life did. He wants to give the people what they want, so he's giving the people what the want via a show that tells the people that sometimes what they want isn't what Dan and Phil want, so they have to find a middle ground that.... doesn't always give the people what they want.

IDK. I just.... IDK.

Regardless of that bit, I'm joyfully signing my name on the podcast petition!! :love2:
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

That gaming video really did a good job of setting the festive mood, and I thought it was really fun and cute! Here are my highlights:
  • [0:38] Phil strokes Dan’s arm to feel the coziness of his knitted sweater. :love1:
  • [2:10] This video’s announcement of a Dan vs. Phil included some “ho ho ho”ing from Dan and reindeer impersonations by Phil. Also, a tiny dab by Dan at the end? All I can think about is this tweet:
  • [2:40] In his honestly pretty shit rhyme, Phil says he’s going to drill Dan’s face off. He then proceeds to act this out. Because why not, right?
  • [4:21] Phil said that the question and answer in the last round was very British. Honestly, I felt like this whole game relied very heavily on British culture and British sayings, and I had a really hard time trying to play along. Nevertheless, it was still fun to watch!
  • [4:28] Dan does a very cute impression of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.
  • [7:52] Phil tells a family Christmas story. When his dad was a kid, his grandmother would make him wait to open presents until after the queen’s speech, which was at 3pm. When Phil was a kid, his grandmother tried to carry on this tradition, but his mom said hell no politely declined her mother-in-law’s request. :lol:
  • [9:09] and [10:41] Frame-by-frame analysis shows that the timers started at 00:20. This is only a highlight because I found it really weird how short the first second felt compared to the others. :shrug:
  • [10:49] Phil guesses that the rhyme answer to his question is “Mariah Carey is a furry.” Dan thinks this guess makes Phil a "frickin' dick."
  • [11:59] Phil says that he has “Christmas sweat running everywhere,” and Dan mops at Phil’s neck with the sleeve of his sweater. :love1:
  • [13:26] Dan pretends to throw the Dan vs. Phil board at Phil. He seems to catch it pretty effortlessly, which makes the board seem like it's not actually that heavy. Phil's reaction is great.
  • [13:36] Dan and Phil role-play as Rose and Jack in Titanic:
    D: Cling to that board like Leonardo DiCaprio.
    P: I will.
    D: And, by that, I mean: Sink, buddy.
    P: I’d let go of you.
    D: Go to the floor like a big diamond.
  • [14:41] Dan plays his new favorite game of scratching at the surface of the Interactive Introverts DVD cover with his fingernails.
  • Individual merch links have returned for this video, and they point to danandphilshop.com.
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?
kavat
pastel persona

whatdoiknow wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:39 am I'm watching the video now and loving it, but I have one very important question before I carry on: What the hell is Lapland, and when did Santa move there from the North Pole?!!

(but no, in general it's been a fun video to both watch and play along with, even though I'm from Canada. I could get most of clues so far even with the British-isms, but I'm left ??? over Lapland)
According to northern European tales Santa lives in Rovaniemi in Finnish Lapland. There's a Santa-land there you can visit and everything. It makes a lot more sense to me than North Pole, that would be so impractical. :gift:
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

hello9217 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:56 am Something that a lot of people agreed on was that dnp should have made a twitter for their tour that someone ran to address all the issues. So why does that not apply now. The person distributing the dvds is irl shop, who do have a twitter, so shouldn't it be their issue to let people know that shipment on dvds are late, not dan and phil's. I agree that they are absolute shit at communication but I don't really know if this should be something they address. Perhaps I'm just cutting them too much slack. :shrug:
The way I see it is, they spon the merch in our faces hard, they are directors of the shop, the merch is their merchandise, therefore they should be the ones who are informing us of any delays. They had an ideal opportunity to say something in a liveshow which was on the day of the dvd release but instead they decided to ignore the matter completely and just talk about the Amazon DVD. Maybe if they hadn’t done the liveshow I would be less upset about it, but they did one and they blatantly just decided to haru it. Yes I’m glad Martyn said something but really should it be down to us having to tweet all of them to find out what is going on? I don’t think so, it should be a given that if on release day there is an issue that they say something.

As you can tell; I’m still annoyed about the whole situation 😂
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart: