Dan & Phil Part 81: Now what?

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
fleur-de-lis
butt chair
Pronouns: she/her

thatone wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:36 pm I just wanted to mention that I'm 23 and I've watched Adrian's videos for a while now; I knew who he was because of Dan, so that's the reason I looked into his channel in the first place. However I'm very much enjoying his content, and I'm subscribed to him because of that. :)

I love to cook and the other videos of his I find relaxing and nice in general. I never think of him as "Dan's brother" when I watch his videos, although I understand that a lot of people probably do! To me they are just separate entertainers in completely different areas - both of which I happen to have an interest in.

I don't comment a lot here, but since no one else who commented seemed to be watching his content because they find his videos enjoyable, I wanted to say that we are out here too haha! ;)

I'm basically the same. I'm 26 and stumbled across his channel because some people on here were talking about it a while ago, didn't really want to at first (for obvious reasons), but happened to like it in the end and now I even follow him on Instagram.
To me he is more relatable in some areas than Dan (healthy living, being vegan..) while Dan (as an adult) is more relatable in other ways. I don't have to relate to everything in order to like someone's videos. Like I have watched Dan and Phil for years while I have no interest whatsoever in gaming, anime or TV series they're watching.

I do however agree with what else has been said here, that the mostly young phandom members seem to flock to Adrian's channel because he's much more easily approachable than Dan at the moment. I cringe at most of their comments but oh well, I do the same at most of the comments on Dan's or Phil's youtube channel, so who cares.

It'll be interesting to see how Adrian continues to use and grow his platform and if/when we'll ever see Dan to be involved. I'm sure they have talked about it.
itsonlybeth
sofa crease

thatone wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:36 pm I just wanted to mention that I'm 23 and I've watched Adrian's videos for a while now; I knew who he was because of Dan, so that's the reason I looked into his channel in the first place. However I'm very much enjoying his content, and I'm subscribed to him because of that. :)
Same here, I’ve been watching Adrian since he started, mostly because of Dan initially...and although I don’t share any interests, I find his videos quite inspiring and interesting. It’s hard not to look for similarities between them both, but I don’t think Adrian in any way is trying to exploit Dan’s fan base for his own gain. Their content is worlds apart and Adrian hasn’t even alluded you Dan.
~ fight me you ceramic bitch ~
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

autumnhearth wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:00 pmWhat do you all think is the likelihood that we’ll get a top memes of 2018 vid from Dan? I personally don’t really want it, I think it’s best left as a trilogy. What would the material even be? TBC/Brazil obvs. Dan’s diss track coming true with him only making 4 videos that year. Anything else?

How soon are we likely to get an ISG? I’m assuming he wants to continue that tradition after reading his mug rant (I’m fine with it dying but if he thinks it helps others and himself then by all means) But I imagine everyone would accept it better after a real vid. This is presuming he’s ready to come out of his cocoon in the next few months.

And then there’s Phil. I’m hoping we never see that bedspread again. What do you all think is the likelihood that he’ll redo the room versus find another spot to film in? I’d be really surprised if it was the former as he said the furniture came with the room and where would they move the bed? I’m hoping they ditch the filming flat altogether, but I’m not sure if that will be the case. Still, I would much rather he film in their actual lounge than in that echoing dull cavern that is the slounge.
My guesses: no top memes, I think that's dead. I think ISG will be back but I don't think it'll be his next video.

I think Phil will film his next video from his normal place. He seemed to be saying in that liveshow (at least from memory, I'm not watching back to verify) that the change wouldn't happen immediately. Tbh that's the number one reason moving is still a strong theory for me with the hiatus; Phil could easily film a 'January video' - or even two - toward the start of the month then pack his shit up and we wouldn't know the difference for a solid four weeks until we started to wonder where the next Phil video was. Something like that would be much harder with the gaming channel where we expect 2-3 videos a week.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

fleur-de-lis wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:03 pm

I love to cook and the other videos of his I find relaxing and nice in general. I never think of him as "Dan's brother" when I watch his videos, although I understand that a lot of people probably do! To me they are just separate entertainers in completely different areas - both of which I happen to have an interest in.

I don't comment a lot here, but since no one else who commented seemed to be watching his content because they find his videos enjoyable, I wanted to say that we are out here too haha! ;)

I'm basically the same. I'm 26 and stumbled across his channel because some people on here were talking about it a while ago, didn't really want to at first (for obvious reasons), but happened to like it in the end and now I even follow him on Instagram.
To me he is more relatable in some areas than Dan (healthy living, being vegan..) while Dan (as an adult) is more relatable in other ways. I don't have to relate to everything in order to like someone's videos. Like I have watched Dan and Phil for years while I have no interest whatsoever in gaming, anime or TV series they're watching.

I do however agree with what else has been said here, that the mostly young phandom members seem to flock to Adrian's channel because he's much more easily approachable than Dan at the moment. I cringe at most of their comments but oh well, I do the same at most of the comments on Dan's or Phil's youtube channel, so who cares.

It'll be interesting to see how Adrian continues to use and grow his platform and if/when we'll ever see Dan to be involved. I'm sure they have talked about it.
I'm so pleased this conversation is getting input from both sides. I definitely get what you're both saying!

And I don't even want to sound like I'm saying I think all people watching Adrian are young, or that young people being emotionally invested is a bad thing. I guess my point is mostly that I hope Adrian realizes that his demographic is gonna be at least partially that, and I feel really protective over teenage girls especially and I want to see people treat them well and give them good advice since they're more likely to be genuinely taking and not, as you said, watching Adrian because it's content they casually like without needing to connect to. Like with literally every creator out there, there will come a point where he says something that hurts someone and I hope he's ready to deal with that side of being semi-famous and having an audience.
opendoor
rainbow nerd

alittledizzy wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:21 pm
autumnhearth wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:00 pmWhat do you all think is the likelihood that we’ll get a top memes of 2018 vid from Dan? I personally don’t really want it, I think it’s best left as a trilogy. What would the material even be? TBC/Brazil obvs. Dan’s diss track coming true with him only making 4 videos that year. Anything else?

How soon are we likely to get an ISG? I’m assuming he wants to continue that tradition after reading his mug rant (I’m fine with it dying but if he thinks it helps others and himself then by all means) But I imagine everyone would accept it better after a real vid. This is presuming he’s ready to come out of his cocoon in the next few months.

And then there’s Phil. I’m hoping we never see that bedspread again. What do you all think is the likelihood that he’ll redo the room versus find another spot to film in? I’d be really surprised if it was the former as he said the furniture came with the room and where would they move the bed? I’m hoping they ditch the filming flat altogether, but I’m not sure if that will be the case. Still, I would much rather he film in their actual lounge than in that echoing dull cavern that is the slounge.
My guesses: no top memes, I think that's dead. I think ISG will be back but I don't think it'll be his next video.

I think Phil will film his next video from his normal place. He seemed to be saying in that liveshow (at least from memory, I'm not watching back to verify) that the change wouldn't happen immediately. Tbh that's the number one reason moving is still a strong theory for me with the hiatus; Phil could easily film a 'January video' - or even two - toward the start of the month then pack his shit up and we wouldn't know the difference for a solid four weeks until we started to wonder where the next Phil video was. Something like that would be much harder with the gaming channel where we expect 2-3 videos a week.
Yup I don't think the bedspread is dead as of yet, I also remember him saying that a background change would take time, but I'm looking forward to the change when it happens.

With all his talk of personal metamorphosis it seems unlikely Dan would return with an ISG, though I honestly quite like ISGs and think they might be a good way to ease back into posting. Though I dimly remember Dan posting an ISG before when something more complex fell through, so maybe we will get one. I think the Meme series is done.

I hope they're moving because
a) forever home forever home
and b) I don't think anybody is as attached to the new apartment/s as their old London flat even though it was apparently a nightmare residence of drilling and gas leaks.

Though my moving spidey senses have not been triggered as of yet.
I miss Dan Howell's stupid face.
Philena
blobfish

Kath in Dan's antler muffs :happytears:
hello9217
flower crown

Cute picture and I'm guessing it's Kath, Phil, and Phil's dad. And I suppose Phil is heading back to London today as well.
thatone
delia smith

alittledizzy wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:27 pm And I don't even want to sound like I'm saying I think all people watching Adrian are young, or that young people being emotionally invested is a bad thing. I guess my point is mostly that I hope Adrian realizes that his demographic is gonna be at least partially that, and I feel really protective over teenage girls especially and I want to see people treat them well and give them good advice since they're more likely to be genuinely taking and not, as you said, watching Adrian because it's content they casually like without needing to connect to. Like with literally every creator out there, there will come a point where he says something that hurts someone and I hope he's ready to deal with that side of being semi-famous and having an audience.
I get what you're saying, and your previous post didn't come across as generalizing at all; you even said yourself that it wasn't. :)

I'm also aware that a lot of young "Dan-fans" are probably commenting on his videos and following him solely because of his connection to Dan. It is to be expected that a certain percentage of his viewers fall into that category;
However I have yet to see him be anything but nice and positive towards those who claim he has helped them wether the comment seems exaggerated or not. So I don't see a reason to hold my breath waiting for him to do or say something that people will find offensive; I'll just enjoy his content for what it is without expecting him to cater towards an audience who isn't really there for him as an individual creator (not that I think that's what you ment exactly, I just don't know how to phrase it better).

I don't think there's anything to worry about at the moment at least, as his comments and responses etc seem very friendly and positive overall. :)
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I’ve watched a few of Adrian’s videos and found the vegan recipes interesting, but it’s not one of my favourite things to watch, still I’m subbed and follow his ig’s. He’s taken the risk of starting and gaining an audience mostly from Dan (as Dan did from Phil, ditto Joe Sugg from Zoe at first, etc) and now people have got to know him, they’ll stick with him whether purely for his content, just liking him as a person or the connection with Dan, but I doubt they’d collab at least yet. It would send way more attention to him and at the moment he’s got a good thing going. It could blow up too much, or maybe wouldn’t be that big, but still, no one knows. Dan probably knows best of all of us how it could go. It’s different for your own brother, but I remember Niki and Sammy said they don’t collab with much smaller channels cos the new attention can overwhelm them. Maybe in a few years? Or never, their content and presentation styles don’t seem very compatible, though that could be true of all their other big yt friends that they have collabed with, idk.

I also think Dan memes are done, he said they were, he’s done 3, I loved them all, but he’s unlikely to come back from a break, having said he’s been thinking of what to do next, with the same thing again. Also I don’t know how much meme content there was involving him this year.

I was expecting Phil’s next video to be in a different place already, but that’s my memory forgetting he said it wouldn’t be immediate or whatever he said. For now I was thinking he’d just use a corner of a room, the sofa maybe, but that could be too plain and boring, or small.
vacule
squish

Philena wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:39 pm Kath in Dan's antler muffs :happytears:
God, that comment section is cringey. I love Phil's Dad's old man stance, absolute classic. Phil has such a lovely little family, it always makes my heart warm. <3

Dare I believe that Dan and Kath are wearing the same pair of ear muffs? I wonder what the story is there? Did Dan borrow them from Kath for his photo? Did Kath and Dan get a matching pair from Capita£ester (2 for the price of 1??) for Xmas? Did Dan forget to pack them? I kind of feel like Kath (legend) probably had these lying about the house and Dan adopted them for their hike.

I love the Lesters so much :happytears:
capybantsa
glabella
Pronouns: he/him

Even though he seems to have a nice personality, I find it difficult to enjoy Adrian's videos because of his unrelatable lifestyle and his unhealthy diet. I think I'll pass on his content and just wait out the D&P drought however long it lasts. I wish him luck, though.

If a collab were to happen, I don't think it would happen before Adrian has more of his own established fanbase. Doing a collab before then would just make him even more of an extension of Dan instead of allowing him to build himself up as an individual.
autumnhearth
senpai

Well Dan had the ear muffs before they went to IoM and Kath has them after he left so he either gave them to her or there was a second pair. (One each for D&P? Like I’m choosing to imagine that they have matching festive onesies, Phil just doesn’t want to wear his on camera).
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

i admit that i've watched a couple of Adrian's vids out of curiosity, but they were in my recommendation. i do occasionally look up vegan recipes and fitness videos since it's stuff that i am interested in, but i am not nearly as health involved or active as him. i literally do not go outside unless i absolutely have somewhere to go.
his weightloss video left me rolling my eyes, especially when i looked in the comments.

**trigger warning: eating disorders**
some of the people in the comments talked about having struggles with ED's and body image, and the way they acted was as if a vegan diet and daily exercise will be the best, healthiest cure to their mental health issues. and adrian would even like these comments.

okay, veganism isn't evil, neither is exercise.. but when you're recovering from an ED, the last thing a doctor would tell you to do is adopt a restricted diet. even when i watched the video, i started feeling guilty about not being 100% 'clean' in my eating habits. it was sort of a trigger for me. i eventually caught myself in that mindset and snapped back to reality, but oh boy i went to a very dark place.

it's not adrians fault, obviously, it just bugs me that he has a mostly younger fanbase that wants to feel closer to him all while he's giving this diet advice that just cannot apply to everyone. i don't even remember him clarifying that some people with certain allergies, blood types, living conditions, wages, and even medical issues are not very compatible with a vegan diet.
criticism aside, his cooking video did make me want to get off of my ass and actually start cooking again. but that's kinda with most recipe vids.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
dc34
glabella

So many interesting discussions:
1st the ear muffs:
im going to guess they either bought two, one for dan and one for phil, and phil gifted his to his mom, OR dan being the nice son in law that he is gave them to Kath when she expressed interest in them (i obvs like the second theory better lol)

2nd content:
Given the hints Dan has dropped I feel like subject matter is going to change on his channel. He's going to tackle topics he usually would never talk about such as in depths in therapy. I do think style wise his videos will stay the same, and I say this bc comedic style usually doesn't change. I don't think we've seen the last of isg, given he's selling isg related merch. Also, no on dan memes, he said himself 3 was a good number to end things.
Phil for me is harder to guess cause he's given us zero clue on what he's going to do. I know many people want him to go the safiya/jenna route with his content. Phil seems to really like their videos, and maybe he's drawn inspiration from what they do. With him im drawing a big ? We do know mukbangs are coming back so we at least know 1 thing. And I await the day the set is gone forever cause it won't be missed!

3rd adrian vids:
I briefly mentioned this when we first spoke about adrian on here, and i dont watch his videos. I physically can't bring myself to, and they get recommended to me all the time. My sister thinks im being weird bc of it but I just can't. I don't really interact with family in any way. Im pretty sure i've never heard martyn or cornelia speak, I always mute their ig stories if deppy are in them. Also, its not about being relatable to me, I watch vlogs of 2 olympic figure skaters whose life style i don't relate to at all. But im happy there are people who like his stuff and he's slowly growing an audience, and hopefully 1 day I can bring myself to watch one.
animad
squish

after all this talk of fave gaming vids, i've spent the last couple days rewatching some classics while doing some work and i've realise that as much as i may love a vid when it's released i always forget them as soon as the next one comes along - golden retriever syndrome lmao

anyways my faves are usually the longer ones so in no particular order

- the final google feud - i'd forgotten just how great this video is and i've rewatched it several times in the last couple days and it's just not getting old (i have it on even as i type this)
- yasuhati (the first one) - mainly because this is the hardest i've ever laughed to a gaming video, like had to pause because i couldn't breathe and i had to be quiet because my parents had already gone to bed. i have fond memories of this one. also dan laughing just as hard and pleading for phil to stop because he too couldn't breathe then phil reaction to dying 'oh... i died...' while laughing so the funniest fucking thing
- the hardest crash bandicoot level - this may me one of my actual top 5 because i love watching them play 'proper' games, which are actually challenging for them and they have to work to complete
- bubble bobble - it's one of the ones i always go back to when i want something soft to watch and it's nice and long also 'you're a slow rainbow broooo'
- cards against humanity - basically everything about it. also they both look so good in this video and its one of the few i actually rewatch
- dan and phil's furry throwdown - basically all the console games. but at 6:40 phil starts singing something to the tune of hit the road jack and dan's says 'i knew you were gonna say that' and that they know each other to long. there's just a lot of good moments in this vid. 15.20: bleepbleepbleepweaselbleepbleepbleep

honourable mentions, some of which i don't actually rewatch because i don't tend to rewatch videos away but i just remember really enjoying at the time:
- the last golf video - golf videos aren't generally on my rewatch list but this one is still a very pleasant, enjoyable watch
- undertale - the last one in particular, because every now and again i remember the scene where they're both singing different parts of the same tune in a way that makes me think it's a tune they've both sung before, and they weren't doing it for the camera
- mark of oxin - dans appreciation for phil is always nice to watch, also the threesome moment
- the final battle - for dan's in depth psychological analysis of their rock paper scissors, also their spontaneous hand-slapping game
- dab and evan move into the big city - for the comparisons between themselves and devan
- gang beasts - i just remember really loving this video at the time, i think there was several comments that really made me laugh
- the first who wants to be a millionaire - in my head this was kind of a turning point for them, particularly on the gaming channel. i can't remember what was happening around this time, but i think the prospect of having to film so many videos all at once made them kind of lower their boundaries i bit. also dan feels soft to me in this one, the way he's kind of hunch over, also kath.
- can your pet - because dan seems genuinely upset with the turn the game takes, and that's funny
- dan plays outlast alone in the dark, dan (is scared of spiders), and dan experiences vr - because i'm a sadist who likes watching dan be genuinely terrified apparently
- and finally portal 2 co-op - which still held up well the last time i watched it, also because i think it was one of the first i watched, and watching phil continously fall off the platform and dan becoming more and more frustrated at phils inability to just walk forward in a straight line amused me greatly

theres a game which is a console game i think a donkey kong? or maybe a mario kart? where one of the side challenges is collecting coins on a planet thing and phil is better at it than dan and i can't remember what it is but i like that one

i've realised from writing this list that i've forgotten a lot and i should make a playlist of the ones i like to have on in the background cause that's a thing i've started doing recently. also i do believe they will come back to the gaming channel at some point in the not too distant future and that i hope they do more console/longer games, either way i'm excited for what the break, and the new year, will bring for deppy and the phandom
snokoplasmic
procrastinator

animad wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:07 am theres a game which is a console game i think a donkey kong? or maybe a mario kart? where one of the side challenges is collecting coins on a planet thing and phil is better at it than dan and i can't remember what it is but i like that one
I think that's Sonic Mania, that's one of my favorites!
Ablissa
pastel persona

🎵 A few hours without posting, she comes back with a #spon... 🎵

Reminder - we're having an IDB-only watch fest tomorrow, where we will watch Mark of Oxin!

When?
December 30th, at 12 noon UTC (1 hr earlier than before to allow people to join in) and 7 PM UTC.
We're not using rabb.it - which means everyone will start the videos on their own, at the designated hour, and then come chat in the thread when they're done. We'll have points to discuss and all, like a book club. :lol:

Can't make it at those times? No problem - watch the videos in your own time and then come chat!

Hope to see you there, let's kill some time during hiatus <3
Ablissa
pastel persona

I'm sorry to doublepost in this thread, it's been a few hours (I clearly need to go to sleep at earlier times lol), but just a reminder that we're starting our first Mark of Oxin watch fest in like five minutes!

Go here to join in: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=1620

To not make this 100% #spon... I miss Dan and Phil. Please give us an insta story at least. Why do I already feel so deprived? This hiatus is a regular thing, but also... not. Since we don't know how long it will last. Ugh. :(
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I think it's kinda cute that they gave us nothing on their reunion had. Day to spend the whole day making up for that five days apart, I guess?

But I do hope we get some ig story goodness soon. We've not really seen yet how they plan on handling social media that's video based like stories during pajama week, if they're gonna have one.
thestigdrivesamini
sad dimple

Jumping in super late on the Adrian discussion, but it’s really an interesting topic so I wanted to give my 2 cents.
Long ramblings under cut
Like everyone else, I was a bit weary to watch Adrian’s first few videos, but sheer curiosity won out and I actually enjoyed the cinematic chill vibe of the first 2. I can’t even finish the last few videos he’s posted as it’s just not my cup of tea.

I do worry about the message he’s putting out as far as his diet and lifestyle. I’ve been a vegetarian for 11 years (most of my meals are vegan though)who runs quite regularly, and the way he talks about food and weight loss is worrisome. Like others have said, it can be quite triggering if you’ve struggled with ED. As a recovering bulimic, it certainly made me feel uncomfortable enough to turn off. The fact that his audience may consist of teenagers who will take his words as absolute truths to live by is terrifying and I hope he takes that into consideration.

I really don’t forsee a collab with Dan; not only due to the difference in their content but also the fact that I’m sure Adrian wants to avoid being compared to his big brother more so than he already is. Hopefully Dan did pull him aside and chat with him about the responsibility and weight that comes with being an influencer. (Read as: don’t be an idiot and allow homophobic comments/ comments that shit on your own audience). He’s young and new to this so screw up are almost a guarantee, I just hope he takes advantage of the knowledge and resource Dan has after doing this his entire adult life.
Ablissa
pastel persona

It is kinda cute that they're quiet after reuniting, and I hope they are taking it easy after those *gasp* ~5 days apart. I guess it's finally starting to hit me that we won't have any new gaming videos to look forward to now. Maybe Dan will post something, but when? And Phil? I think I might start a gaming channel rewatch, like someone mentioned here earlier (sorry, I forgot who!)

:babuse: Reminder: our second round of Mark of Oxin begins in ~15 mins right here: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=1620 :babuse:
parallel
phabergé

I just watched an Adrian video for the first time (it was his most recent video) and I subscribed. Wholesome content.

And, yeah, I really hope he doesn't get seen as an extension of Dan. I looked in the comments section and it seems they're actually talking about Adrian and no mentions of Dan, so that's good. If Adrian grows more of an audience, Dan and Adrian might kinda be like Hank and John Green: brothers, but separate public figures.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I have a hunch that this is a day delayed...
DryCereal
koi pond

alittledizzy wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:28 pm I have a hunch that this is a day delayed...
expand pls. i mean, i know it's delayed, it's been dark for flippin' HOURS here, but... I will accept theory in the form of reunion smut fic, just fyi... :ribena:
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

DryCereal wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:42 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:28 pm I have a hunch that this is a day delayed...
expand pls. i mean, i know it's delayed, it's been dark for flippin' HOURS here, but... I will accept theory in the form of reunion smut fic, just fyi... :ribena:
I am pretty sure Martyn posted about flying home yesterday, combined with Dan and Phil's silence yesterday... makes me think they just took a recovery day for themselves!