Dan & Phil Part 81: Now what?

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
capybantsa
glabella
Pronouns: he/him

Happy New Year you guys!! :ribena:

Also 20biteen lmao I love it, yes please :prideheart:

Phantasy wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:14 pm Nice start to the new year...
I feel obligated to quote this since this is my 69th post.... oh my...

oh my god I topped with this :scram:
Last edited by capybantsa on Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ablissa
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

Happy New Year, dear IDB! I spent the night on the sofa, watching tv with my mom. It was good. <3

I'm really happy this community exists, this forum is definitely my favorite part of being in the phandom, other than you know, Dan and Phil themselves haha. Thank you all! :love1:
ratlad
angel bean

TWENTYBIEEN !!!! IM HAVING trouble reading evevryones posst because my brain...... and eyes... HAPPY NEW YEAR! I SERIOUSLY LOVE YOU GUYS SO MUCH. y'all have shaped me this entire year i have been posting on this site
i really care about u... ur all so kind and beautiful people. for real. i won't lie ever.
twentybiteen!!!! yeeeet !
but what will 2020 be?
god, thas a terrifying number. i can hardly handle 2019....... that's far away and time is a social construct. i miss dan and phil.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

happy new year from the west coast (finally lol). It's been a great year, can't wait to have another good one here <3
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

im finally in the future! happy new year yall :rainbowsparkle: :newyear: :rainbowsparkle: i cant believe that i only join last year, but it felt so much longer :platonic:

but...2019 huh, lets see what you have to offer
"you are next to me in my life"
lionandllama
squish

Hello and Happy New Year! No better time to join the bants than the first day of 20biteen. Love all your input to different topics and thought I’d like to join the conversation. I’ve been watching dnp since October 2012 and that’s when I made my Tumblr blog called thelionandthellama, I refuse to change my online Phandom persona name, please excuse the cringe. lol

Hope you’re all having a good first day of January! I was so hoping for cute NYE selfies and Insta Stories but they’ve been really quiet, huh.
liola
rankussy

Happy new year to everyone here <3 this forum has kept me company during some hard and good times and I'm grateful for this community.

I can't wait to see what the year will bring us in terms of content and general tweets and stories. I'm ready for whatever change is coming
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
ratlad
angel bean

lionandllama wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:25 pm Hello and Happy New Year! No better time to join the bants than the first day of 20biteen. Love all your input to different topics and thought I’d like to join the conversation. I’ve been watching dnp since October 2012 and that’s when I made my Tumblr blog called thelionandthellama, I refuse to change my online Phandom persona name, please excuse the cringe. lol

Hope you’re all having a good first day of January! I was so hoping for cute NYE selfies and Insta Stories but they’ve been really quiet, huh.
omg hello welcome !!!!!! legend !!!!!!
LurkingTrash
woodland creature
Pronouns: She/Her

Happy 2019 IDB!!! Hoping this year will bring us as much growth as 2018 did, I can't wait for another year of watching and cheering for these two with you all :ribena:

this made me so happy so i'm just quoting because it deserves to be on every page:
lilabet wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:11 am

Just thought I'd give you an update. We raised over £20,000 in 2018. Here's to raising even more in 2019! :ribena:

Thank you to anyone who has donated or shared. :platonic:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Things still keeping me up at night, 2019 edition: What did Phil say to Tyler Oakley in that one collab that they wouldn't share with the audience?
ratlad
angel bean

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:11 pm Things still keeping me up at night, 2019 edition: What did Phil say to Tyler Oakley in that one collab that they wouldn't share with the audience?
i see ppl talk about this from time, was it before the book/tour announcement? or after?? based on Tyler's reaction, whatcha think it is?
also remember the tweet he made last year about spring 2019,,, and he was in London at the time.....
i doubt it has something to do with dnp, i think we discussed this on here last year.
but theorizing is fun >:-| dnp have logged off and i'm bored.
kavat
pastel persona

From Tomska's story:
I'm with Tom on this one.
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

kavat wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:35 pm From Tomska's story:
I'm with Tom on this one.
just woke up when i saw this on updatedphan but vaguely recognized a white suit and i immediately thought "ohmygod is phil finally giving us what we want in this good year of 2019??" but then i was disappointed
"you are next to me in my life"
autumnhearth
senpai

lionandllama wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:25 pm Hello and Happy New Year! No better time to join the bants than the first day of 20biteen. Love all your input to different topics and thought I’d like to join the conversation. I’ve been watching dnp since October 2012 and that’s when I made my Tumblr blog called thelionandthellama, I refuse to change my online Phandom persona name, please excuse the cringe. lol

:welcome: they tend to be pretty quiet/private at this time of year, but that doesn’t mean I wasn’t hoping. Actually I went back to check Instagram. In 2016/2017 Dan posted the pic of the beaded Rapidash he made at their friend’s party and in 2014/2015 he posted a pic of Phil hosting The Weakest Link at a NYE party at their place, a fortune cookie from that night and then a pic of new running shoes a few days later. But last year he went a whole month without posting (mid Dec to mid Jan). Big gaps from Phil as well (some years there was no pics from early Nov to Feb). Though Twitter probably tells a different story. I hope they enjoy pajama week(s).
black_rat
squish

I didn't know about the Calcifer story, so I looked it up. If anyone wants to (re)-watch it, here is the link:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

black_rat wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:12 pm I didn't know about the Calcifer story, so I looked it up. If anyone wants to (re)-watch it, here is the link:
Watching that (alongside a radio show clip from the white whale thread) reminds me of how Dan was just a bundle of nerves the entire radio show era. It's like night and day from how he presents now, imo; I think both of them learned a lot about confidence in presenting/projecting their energy from doing the stage shows. Their old radio stuff is hard for me to watch now but if the did try something like that in 2019 I think they'd be ten times better.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Poor Tom, Phil’s such a troll sometimes. At least it’s not just to us ;)
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

my gawd, i miss those 2 already.

boys... please.... i'm thirsty.... insta story? live show???
alittledizzy wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:28 pm
black_rat wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:12 pm I didn't know about the Calcifer story, so I looked it up. If anyone wants to (re)-watch it, here is the link:
Watching that (alongside a radio show clip from the white whale thread) reminds me of how Dan was just a bundle of nerves the entire radio show era. It's like night and day from how he presents now, imo; I think both of them learned a lot about confidence in presenting/projecting their energy from doing the stage shows. Their old radio stuff is hard for me to watch now but if the did try something like that in 2019 I think they'd be ten times better.
he really is a whole different human being. i know they're not exactly the same thing but this compared to the ii commentary is just.... a dramatic difference.

i'm particularly fascinated by the start of the spider story in the clip above: "i had to talk to phil.... about some youtube-y/radio-y stuff and i was on the phone to him:.." it's the same defense he used from that liveshow around the same time. except... according to the air dates listed for both, the radio show story came first. so now i'm confused why dan bothered with all the panic in the ls, when he had already told the story and given his completely bs excuse for being on the phone with phil on radio.

anyway. happy 5 year anniversary to that ~phandom highlight~ :rainbowsparkle1:
knq
lava lamp

Obviously they listed their 6 hour international phone call as a business expense with the BBC and Dan just wants to cover all his bases.

I’m not convicted a 2019 radio comeback wouldn’t be as full of nervous energy as the old radio shows. Despite how much they’ve both grown Dan just exudes nerves when he has a live audience. If Phil could express an opinion their dynamic might be a bit less nervous, but I dunno, maybe feeling in control of the dialogue even when it’s a train wreck is what keeps Dan from being even more nervous.
kavat
pastel persona

I think they both to well in front of a live audience, but they are stronger at different things. I think Dan (ever the theater kid) do better with somewhat scripted content like videos and II, where he knows what he's going to say, what the punchline is and he's had a chance to work on it a bit. But I think Phil seems more comfortable with unscripted things like live shows and the radio. Idk, to me he seems a bit nervous when he has to deliver a script, and if I remember correctly he changed more of his jokes and punchlines during II. I think they've both done enough of both types now to still do them well, and they compliment each other when needed.
black_rat
squish

Just some of my thoughts, I structured them, because I ended up writing too much. sorry

Radio show:
On the topic of what we would wish to see in 2019, I am not so sure about a radio show. Mostly because I think I would enjoy them to show their more laid back personalities, and not have to put on such a professional face, and also I think the preparing for every show and rehearsing and having a boss who tells them what to do might make them unmotivated.

Podcast:
People keep talking about a Podcast, am I the only one who thinks sponsorships would be really awkward? Would they have sponsors like audible (which they have avoided until now), or would they spon apps they don't play?

My personal wish (maybe?):
I put on my wish-list for future content some kind of game format in which they have to guess answers to some kind of knowledge questions. I recently re-watched the video they did with louise on baby terminology. It seemed like it would be a perfect place for dan to insert his commentary on social issues/his opinions and phil can show off his weird brain and how he makes sense of the world. The Millionaire-series also comes to mind as a great example. But then again there are so many quizz-shows out there, and I never was interested in watching any of them, and it seems a bit old-fashioned. so maybe its a bad idea.

DAPG:
Now that I had more time to think about the future of dapg, I am so unsure what to think. I thought maybe they would just rebrand the channel, and include different game formats or do just general collabs, but I think it sounded more like IF they would NOT return to dapg, they would abandon the channel completely?
Would they create a new channel for joint content, and start from 0 subscribers? That doesn't really sound plausible, but I also can't imagine them stopping doing joint content/ having a dedicated place for joint content except for Phil's channel.

Sims video:
The (kind of) unfinished sims series, I think is a result of them not wanting to disappoint us, and they knew everyone was hoping for a proposal/wedding. So we got one. I don't think they did it because they wanted it to be unfinished. I wonder why they didn't just say something like, they are still really young etc., and have them do some other romantic gesture that would have also satisfied us? But I wouldn't be surprised if they would return to sims just for the wedding and then stop it there. (But this would only work if they would continue to use the same channel in the future, and not a different one)

Hiatus:

I think it was a good idea to go on hiatus (and tell us about it). I really think the main reason is, as dan said, they have been doing this for a while, and they just need a moment to think, and not just keep on doing what they are doing for the sake of it. And to deliberately decide what the future should be like. I also wonder if they are tired of gaming-content because it always requires a lot to set up everything, and to record the game + them and then edit it together etc. If they just think there is an easier way to make content. Especially since they didn't really play the games on their channel which they would play in their free time. Which I think is a pity, but I also understand that it is easier to distinguish between work and fun if they play different things.
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

black_rat wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:32 am Radio show:
On the topic of what we would wish to see in 2019, I am not so sure about a radio show. Mostly because I think I would enjoy them to show their more laid back personalities, and not have to put on such a professional face, and also I think the preparing for every show and rehearsing and having a boss who tells them what to do might make them unmotivated.
Popping back on here after like.. a very long time so first of all: hi!!! I hope everyone had a lovely NYE and I hope 2019 will be a wonderful year for all of us :love1: :love1: :love1: (and also for d&p of course :love1: )

I quoted this because I very much agree!! I think sometimes the radio show can be a bit romanticised (by myself included!!). I started watching dnp in December 2012 and they started up the radio show in January (I think? maybe it was February idk) 2013, so I can remember the very first show and I was there for pretty much the whole radio journey. I think back on that time so fondly, and I loved coming home from school on Mondays to watch the show (Australian timezones meant that the show aired early in the morning rip).

But tbh, as much as it was a super cool thing that brought us some iconic moments, I'm not sure it had that much to offer? Like... nothing that we don't get in liveshows or gaming channel anecdotes (not that those are a thing anymore, rip x 2) or insta stories. They had to work under the watchful eye of the BBC, they were live on air to a potential audience of not-just-subscribers, and as such they were in quite a restricted position. I'm not sure watching them play the sorts of games they used to play on the radio show or have the sort of quick 30 second bants before they introduced a song is that appealing to me anymore tbh.

Of course there's the possibility that in 2019 they could do a lot more with a radio show - have it be more grown up/mature, plus what with them being more openly themselves than ever before maybe it'd have more of a relaxed vibe.

A podcast appeals to me a lot more in that I feel like there'd be a lot more freedom to be themselves, to chat and go with the flow a la the mukbang, to lose a bit of that professionalism that - while admirable - is kind of boring to me.

Anyway, it feels so weird to be posting on here again!! Good though, I missed it here :')
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I don’t know what specific thing I’d like to see them do beyond separately writing more fiction (and I’ll take the odd line of baritone singing by Phil where I can). Main thing, though, is that their best content will be whatever they want to do, their passion for and comfort with it will be what makes it. It might match what we’ve been thinking of or hoping for, or it might really surprise us.
dancy
procrastinator

Happy New Year everybody :D

I honestly have no idea what to expect this year regarding D&P content besides main channel videos. I think Dan will do some more stuff with Young Minds too and that they'll go on a nice holiday sometime.

If they are to bring back the gaming channel at some point, I do feel like they'd change it up in some way. It wouldn't be the same as it was before because that wouldn't show any progress. Whether that means different type of gaming content, rebranding it to a general joint channel or something else, I don't know. As for other projects, I don't think they've ever expressed interest in starting a podcast, so I don't see that happening currently and I doubt they'd go back to doing the radio show because that doesn't fit with what they've said about trying new things in the future.
susan2
rainbow nerd

Has anyone else noticed ATF's recent website update - no Tomska - and no Marianne :shock:

(*just putting a caveat here to make clear that there could be a variety of possible reasons for that, I'm not implying anything, just pointing out the fact that she is no longer listed on their website)