Dan & Phil Part 81: Now what?

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Ablissa
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

susan2 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:22 pm Has anyone else noticed ATF's recent website update - no Tomska - and no Marianne :shock:

(*just putting a caveat here to make clear that there could be a variety of possible reasons for that, I'm not implying anything, just pointing out the fact that she is no longer listed on their website)
That's super interesting. Of course there could be a lot of reasons for it, but I guess the biggest reason would be that Marianne doesn't work there anymore? Am I right?

(useless post at the top of the page, sorry)
thestigdrivesamini
sad dimple

The drought has made me rediscover my love of old school Phil. I’ve been going through his 2007-2010ish videos and it’s honestly shocking how different he was. He seemed more energetic and hyper (and far less scripted). Idk how much of that was false bravado, but you could tell he really enjoyed making content and being creative. Youtube was such a different platform back then.

Something else I noticed is just how naturally he slipped Dan into his life and conversations in his videos. There was never an official “hey this person is a part of my life now and you’ll be hearing a lot about him”; he just kind of became a fixture and it was an unspoken fact that he was Phil’s person. For example, “worlds biggest chip” he just casually brought up the Portugal trip
And “Sideways Gary” (which I watched an embarrassing amount of times when it came out for....reasons) with the snippets of them playing crash bandicoot :love2:
Last edited by rizzo on Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed code
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Lol, I see those reasons ;)

Marianne not being on the ATF site anymore does probably mean she’s left, along with Tomska. I hope they don’t keep shrinking, they might disappear.
thestigdrivesamini
sad dimple

I wonder if this is a partial reason for the hiatus? Looking for a new manager, or even a new company. It’ll be a shame if they lose Marianne; she seemed like a really good fit with them and was always so kind to the phandom
Ablissa
pastel persona

thestigdrivesamini wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:16 pm I wonder if this is a partial reason for the hiatus? Looking for a new manager, or even a new company. It’ll be a shame if they lose Marianne; she seemed like a really good fit with them and was always so kind to the phandom
I'm not sure how big a deal their manager truly is, but I don't think it's a big factor in the hiatus. I mean, they can make videos whenever, they don't need Marianne or anyone else to hold their hand for that. :lol:
We'll probably never find out more re: Marianne, but maybe she will continue working with deppy? That would mean them leaving ATF though, if she's left.
thestigdrivesamini
sad dimple

Ablissa wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:40 pm
thestigdrivesamini wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:16 pm I wonder if this is a partial reason for the hiatus? Looking for a new manager, or even a new company. It’ll be a shame if they lose Marianne; she seemed like a really good fit with them and was always so kind to the phandom
I'm not sure how big a deal their manager truly is, but I don't think it's a big factor in the hiatus. I mean, they can make videos whenever, they don't need Marianne or anyone else to hold their hand for that. :lol:
We'll probably never find out more re: Marianne, but maybe she will continue working with deppy? That would mean them leaving ATF though, if she's left.
I guess I just meant more in terms of sponsered content and general life changes. If they do go with someone new, it must be a headache to have this stranger come in and try to figure out what you’re about.

I don’t really know much about the management side and ATF, but I would assume it’s a logistical nightmare to start over. Especially post tour when I’m assuming they’re getting an above average about of spon opportunities
kavat
pastel persona

Tomska talks about the dvd and jacket he got at 16.37
Apparently he also got a black sheet without explenation :lol:
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

thestigdrivesamini wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:29 pm The drought has made me rediscover my love of old school Phil. I’ve been going through his 2007-2010ish videos and it’s honestly shocking how different he was. He seemed more energetic and hyper (and far less scripted). Idk how much of that was false bravado, but you could tell he really enjoyed making content and being creative. Youtube was such a different platform back then.

Something else I noticed is just how naturally he slipped Dan into his life and conversations in his videos. There was never an official “hey this person is a part of my life now and you’ll be hearing a lot about him”; he just kind of became a fixture and it was an unspoken fact that he was Phil’s person. For example, “worlds biggest chip” he just casually brought up the Portugal trip
And “Sideways Gary” (which I watched an embarrassing amount of times when it came out for....reasons) with the snippets of them playing crash bandicoot :love2:
i love binge watching old school phil every now and then
when i was 12, i also watched that sideways gary video....quite a bit.... when my parents weren't home.... cause he was wearing a canada umbrella hat and i felt special. that's why. yep.

i like how back then for them it wasn't "my friend, dan" or "my friend, phil" (until like 2011)
it was always just "dan is here" or "me and phil" (which is similar to how they talk about each other today :happytears:)
oof, the portugal trip :valentine: love that.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
autumnhearth
senpai

After watching pinof 10 “in order” (more or less) with the bloopers included, with my son, we got recommended “30 mins of Dan fiddling with his hair” which I’ve passed up every other time. But I just mentioned it as a joke to the kiddo. He said he actually wanted to watch it. Two mins in I asked if he was bored yet and he said no, then within a min he left me for Legos and I was sat watching this poor self conscious man child try to sort his hair out while complaining what a tramp/tumor he looked like. A riveting, feel good video, truly. But what stuck with me was how many times he mentioned disliking quiffs or saying it would make him look like “every other guy in the universe”. That combined with the few mentions of liking/wanting Phil’s hair on his head, made me wonder if Phil’s fear wasn’t just about the audience reaction. Dan did acknowledge that he was being hipstery/pretentious by not wanting to look like everyone else even if said look would suit him. Of course he eventually embraced the waves/curls and it took Phil another year to change his, but I just wonder what Dan’s response to Phil wanting to change his hair throughout the years has been and how that affected Phil.

So that’s how the “drought” is going for me. Nah, I know it’s always quiet this time of year and am not that bothered. I’m just going to watch some gaming video instead of compilations, or else I’ll probably drive myself mad.
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

PHIL'S NEW INSTA STORY! A selfie! He is the most beautiful man that ever walked this earth! He's mermerizing! I LOVE HIM SO MUCH :happytears:
:gayaf:
susan2
rainbow nerd

Another plain white wall backdrop eh :hmmm:
Ablissa
pastel persona

Me right now:
thestigdrivesamini
sad dimple

Ataraxia25 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:56 pm PHIL'S NEW INSTA STORY! A selfie! He is the most beautiful man that ever walked this earth! He's mermerizing! I LOVE HIM SO MUCH :happytears:
It was so simple and understated but I’m still grinning like an idiot :happytears: :happytears: he heard our cries of missing his face and DELIVERED <3 ugh he pretty :love2:
TuxedoSam
*editing tips*

autumnhearth wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:49 pm That combined with the few mentions of liking/wanting Phil’s hair on his head, made me wonder if Phil’s fear wasn’t just about the audience reaction. Dan did acknowledge that he was being hipstery/pretentious by not wanting to look like everyone else even if said look would suit him. Of course he eventually embraced the waves/curls and it took Phil another year to change his, but I just wonder what Dan’s response to Phil wanting to change his hair throughout the years has been and how that affected Phil.
I had similar thoughts. adding that phil mentioned dan always saying things like "it looks good don't worry" and stuff evertimes phil went back from the hairdresser and disliked his haircut because he felt it wasnt right.
autumnhearth
senpai

^ yes! Every time Dan thought it looked great and wanted it himself #hairenvy

Ha speakingof hair! I didn’t think we’d get a story today. And if we did get one I didn’t think we’d see either of their faces. And if they did feature their faces surely it would just be playing with a stupid filter. But, no we’ve been blessed. It reminds me of his Snip Snip Bish story, which is definitely one of my faves. See ya later Phil’s roots!
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

ooo wonder is phil's filming a vid with that white room background? or it's just a really bright plain wall from anywhere else. he is glowing, ugh!!!!! beautiful man.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

I'll say it. I'll say it and I won't feel any shame: Not enough.

You can't just distract me with your cute smirk and your quiff-y wiles, Philip Lester. No, no. I need video content. I need proof of life from Dan. I need more.

giveittome.gif
sonicgreen
woodland creature

:fireworks: happy belated new year's everyone! :fireworks:
i finally had a chance to watch the director's commentary of II, i guess my DVD came some time over christmas when i was gone... worth the wait though. a very entertaining 2 hours. i didn't think i'd enjoy rewatching II after seeing it live this summer, but i did? anyway, good job boys, you made a big thing and deserve a break
scientia
phabergé

I just love how open Phil is being about dyeing his hair! I feel like, in the past, we wouldn’t have gotten any mention of him having had his hair recently dyed. We all know he dyes the quiff but it wasn’t really an often-discussed thing
starwatersong
phabergé

Last edited by lefthandedism on Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed tumblr embed
bestfriendsclub
dank meme

As I only joined the phandom in 2017 I think I'm caught up enough to know what's going on most of the time, but I still have some unanswered questions. 🤔 Firstly, does anyone know why Lion is special? It's not the same lion that was in his first video blog, and he's had loads of lions sent to him, and he even said a different lion was officially the best one he's ever received (in ChristmasPhil) but why did he put this particular lion in the background of every video and keep it safe for so long? And what was his blog amazingphil.com like? Has anyone here ever seen it? It doesn't seem to be archived anywhere and I've never seen anyone talk about it except Phil. And why are houseplants/cacti a part of Phil's branding? And what was it like before the first Phil is not on fire? Did everyone already know Danisnotonfire as a YouTuber, did they comment on each other's videos? Or was Dan a complete stranger to AmazingPhil's subscribers? Does anyone else have any unanswered questions?
Ablissa
pastel persona

bestfriendsclub wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:45 pm And what was it like before the first Phil is not on fire? Did everyone already know Danisnotonfire as a YouTuber, did they comment on each other's videos? Or was Dan a complete stranger to AmazingPhil's subscribers? Does anyone else have any unanswered questions?
Dan only posted his first video a few days before pinof 1, so he wasn't overly popular, but he did get views and subscribers and Phil, of course, helped him by #sponning his new video.
I wasn't in the fandom back then, but based on the phan timeline, I'd imagine Phil's viewers may have known of Dan if they followed Phil on twitter/read the comments on youtube/checked dailybooth etc - there was loads of interaction between them prior to them meeting for the first time.
Dan commented on every video of Phil's I think, and I'm pretty sure Phil commented on Dan's too, and they talked to each other on twitter/dailybooth a lot in public.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

bestfriendsclub wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:45 pm As I only joined the phandom in 2017 I think I'm caught up enough to know what's going on most of the time, but I still have some unanswered questions. 🤔 Firstly, does anyone know why Lion is special? It's not the same lion that was in his first video blog, and he's had loads of lions sent to him, and he even said a different lion was officially the best one he's ever received (in ChristmasPhil) but why did he put this particular lion in the background of every video and keep it safe for so long? And what was his blog amazingphil.com like? Has anyone here ever seen it? It doesn't seem to be archived anywhere and I've never seen anyone talk about it except Phil. And why are houseplants/cacti a part of Phil's branding? And what was it like before the first Phil is not on fire? Did everyone already know Danisnotonfire as a YouTuber, did they comment on each other's videos? Or was Dan a complete stranger to AmazingPhil's subscribers? Does anyone else have any unanswered questions?
Houseplants being part of Phil's branding is one of those life things that just bled into his persona. Phil really did just start buying a lot of houseplants and wasn't the best at taking care of them so a lot of them died, but he kept buying more. Which you know - honestly - is one of the most relatable late 20something things he did during that time period. Seriously, so many people in their late 20s that I I know just randomly decide one day they're ready to take on the responsibility of a houseplant and then go way overboard with it.

Phandom really latches onto anything that Dan and Phil repeat more than a couple times, though - I think it's one reason why we only hear about things they're really into (like tv shows) after they've already finished them. It gets to be a one and done mention rather than something that becomes associated with them regularly in the mind of millions of people. (See: Riverdale) and why Dan is a lot more lowkey about celeb crushes these days. (Though now that I think about it that might also be a side effect of no solo liveshows, just joint ones. He's far less likely to salivate over a random famous hottie with Phil right there just by virtue of the conversation constantly moving between them.) But I also think Dan would probably want to avoid the whole Evan Peters/Nick Jonas/etc situation where him expressing attraction to a guy just becomes part of his brand forever.

Sorry, that was a bit of a tangent.

I'm also dying to know what his blog was like. You're right that it isn't archived anywhere, I've definitely looked.
autumnhearth
senpai

@bestfriendsclub Dan definitely gained a following amongst the YouTube crowd via Dailybooth first. Those naked booth milestones didn’t hurt. Add to that Follow Friday’s on Twitter and other UK YouTubers promoting his first video and he got a good early boost. But I would say a good chunk of early viewers discovered him through pinof. It helps that he had two videos up before then for people to check out and posted a third two days later.

No idea re lion or the blog but I would love to know on both accounts.
alien
procrastinator

Last night I dreamt ii was premiering on tv as a pilot episode for dan and Phil’s new weekly one hour variety show so that’s what my brain is doing with the hiatus.