Dan & Phil Part 81: Now what?

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Ablissa
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

re: the Cat thing - yeah, she definitely did try to cover up for her gay friends, but that tweet is too much. I agree that 2013 was a hard time to be in the phandom, especially as a queer person myself.

@kavat - your puzzle fic is absolutely delightful! I'm grinning like crazy :happytears: Everyone, read it! https://archiveofourown.org/works/17297216

On another note, they decided to feed us! Where are they going???

lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

i'm in the middle of monaing cookies, my hands are literally covered in flour but i just had to scream here : dan is BEAUTIFUL. I love him! i love him so much
:gayaf:
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Oh, where are those lads going? :sherlock:

Also Phil took those pics just because Dan looked pretty and I can't blame him.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

A fun coincidence is seeing a notification come in for a Phil story and thinking, "Where ARE they headed?" Only to find out:
Train means Manchester, right? So, I'm assuming they're visiting their pals there. Cuuuuuute.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

Aww, lads, so cute riding the train up North together.

(Apparently I just needed a small sign of life from Dan, I feel fine now.)
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I'm guessing train stories today mean that yesterday was travel day? Or else way earlier today.
opendoor
rainbow nerd

Yay they acknowledged each others' existence, my soul has been satiated. And Dan looks really fucking pretty.

@knq I have been thinking about a Dan and Phil travel series and how amazing that would be recently. Seriously that would be god-tier content. But I just don't see them going against their homebody images and doing something so hassle-y.
I miss Dan Howell's stupid face.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

Aw Manchester, how sweet :') Dan looks so lovely tbh. I wonder if they're gonna give us anything else from the trip, though maybe that'll be tomorrow since I don't think there's any way those aren't delayed.

(Also, thanks @Ataraxia25 and @hello9217, I'm glad you guys enjoyed! :))
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

its been a while since ive posted yall and i have 5 minutes till i start my shift but i saw that instastory and for some reason im feeling a bit (insert vague hand gestures)...but like in a good way.

maybe its cz i havent seen them in a while or maybe im still not used to the fact that theyre open enough to share minor info like that....? but that dan pics are so cute ???
"you are next to me in my life"
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:38 pm Thank you to everyone that donated or bought merch from the Redbubble shop during December! Half of what was raised will go toward forum expenses for 2019, and the other half has been donated to PhandomGives!

And in other news....

:elephant: :babuse: We're doing the IDB Survey again! :babuse: :elephant:

It's just a fun four question form to give us an idea of the demographics of the forum. Click here to fill it out! We'll keep it open for about two weeks, and then post the survey results.
Also, this is just me kind of putting feelers out, but the recent surge of people talking about their fave gaming videos gave me some ideas. Would you guys rather do the IDB Awards again (where we have people vote for faves from the past year from all of their channels) or would you rather some kind of bracket type of voting game where we all vote in rounds to see what game/games from DAPG come out on top overall?
greenergrass
stress mushroom

The bracket idea would be really fun!
LurkingTrash
woodland creature
Pronouns: She/Her

obsessivelymoody wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:32 am So this is maybe a little off-topic, but awhile back I was hunting down this moment I saw gifed where Phil talked about going to the BBC Radio Awards in March 2014, and since there weren't any timestamps for the liveshow I ended up watching the whole thing and timestamping it since he spoke about it pretty late into it. Anyway, I was extremely surprised by how many interesting moments there were in the liveshow. If you want to check out the full timestamps I did, you can here, but I've also taken some bits out below that I wanted to talk about a little more.
3:09 - Hair cut talk.
Phil: Also in desperate need of a hair cut right now. Not going to apologize for my hair, but it's beyond the need for a cut. Fabrice did a rubbish job last time, and left like, this piece [picks up the front bit of fringe] really long. Look how long that is. So it keeps going really gap-y at the sides. Hopefully he's gonna fix it, I have a hair cut on Tuesday, uh, where I'm gonna shave the whole thing off before Playlist Live.
3:33 - Phil: If I didn't cut my hair, it wouldn't get longer, like old school Phil, it'd just mushroom out
3:42 - Chat: Cut off the fringe
Phil: Yeah. I actually experimented going fringe-less for the first time in about 7 years the other night, 'cause I went to a 1920s themed event called "Secret Cinema", where you had to dress up as if you were from the 1920s, first of all, and secondly, it turns out people didn't have emo fringes back then, so I had to hairspray it up and across, and there's a picture of me on my twitter [talks about where you can find his twitter] (link to tweet)
4:20 - Chat: We have a Phil's forehead fandom
Phil: Really? [laughs] That's intimidating. Uh, yeah, so my forehead was very cold and exposed, it felt kind of naked.
6:21 - Interrupts himself as he's still talking about the Secret Cinema
Phil, fixing his fringe: Sorry, terrible hair today. If I touch my hair just deal with it, [silly deep voice] I'm not gonna stop! I'm not gonna stop for anyone.
6:53 - Chat: Your hair looks damn fine, so hush
Phil: Okay, that's the last time I'll [unintelligible] my hair. But when I have it cut, d'you reckon I should go full no fringe or is that just like, a terrible idea? Would everyone unsubscribe if I did that?
Chat: Do not!
Phil: Okay I won't.
Chat: Never!!
Phil: Maybe in like...2 years. Three years? Sometimes I wake up and I'm like "I really want to cut my hair off", especially today just because it's so annoying 'cause he cut it wrong, uh so it'd be cool to have a change at one point. But I quite like my look, I think I'd freak myself out in the mirror if I had really short hair. I remember once my brother completely shaved his head, and my parents were like [horrified face] "What have you done to yourself"...he looked so weird. He looked like a startled baby.
Phil spends a good bit at the start of this liveshow talking about his hair, and he brings it back after a couple topic changes too. His hair did look worse than usual in this liveshow, so I kind of don't blame him, though I find it difficult to watch someone repeatedly bring attention to an insecurity. That's something most people do though, so I get it, and it did make for some interesting thoughts from Phil.

When I first watched this, I found it funny that he dragged Fabrice through the mud since he held onto him as his hairdresser for so long, but I mean, if you're not getting what you paid for, makes sense (though Fabrice needs a career change anyway tbh). I can imagine how long he must have been trying to fix it up before the liveshow, just going off of how annoyed he seemed by his hair (didn't stop him from making it worse a couple times throughout).

What I found the most interesting was the mention of cutting it all off/getting a quiff. I'm not sure if there had been any other notable time before then or around that time where he mentioned wanting to cut his hair, and while maybe it was more of a product of his frustration at his bad hair cut, the fact that he asked if everyone would unsubscribe stood out to me. As it was a large part of his worry and reluctance to change his hair in early 2018, I think it's remarkable to see him four years earlier worrying about the same thing. I actually didn't even think he was considering it really back then, maybe more after Dan changed his, maybe a bit before then, but not as early as then (though we did get to see him with a quiff a few times, like in festive ditl, but still). I just see a lot of insecurity in the way he talks about his hair here, and I think comparing that to what we saw him be quite honest about last year, it's really interesting how long that's been mulling around in his head, probably festering a bit over the years. (also...if that was actually Phil reading from the chat, who are the people that hate themselves so much they'd want him to keep the fringe??)
10:53 - Phil looks up, then sits up straight and looks over his computer. Looks back down and 'reads off the chat' "What are you eating?"
10:55 - Phil: I'm not eating anything. I was eating some of these [reaches behind laptop]--I've brought things to show you--which were amazing. New York deli chilli and lemon peanuts [talks about peanuts being good but a bit of a rip off]
I mean, it's absolutely no secret that they definitely have loose plans and structures to their liveshows--along with making shit up in the chat--but just watching this moment, his body language makes that so clear, and I find it so amusing. I actually didn't notice it until I played it back for the third time and was like "...wait". Phil is so good at wasting time in liveshows with the random, menial stuff, and this moment was exactly that. I also think it's interesting when comparing to the way Dan passes the time. Both of them obviously make stuff up in the chat (George and Richard sure get a lot of notices huh :/), but where Phil usually talks about random stuff or brings out stuff like that, Dan waffles. I think that's why joint liveshows work so much better than solo for me personally. I do enjoy solo liveshows every now and again (I miss Dan's music recs, even with his somewhat pretentious was of approaching them), but they really balance each other out where Phil's 5 seconds of silence and random bits are filled with Dan and assisted by Dan, and Dan doesn't dig himself into a hole or starts monologuing for ages (though I will say some of Dan's monologues have been extremely interesting). But I mean, besides the balancing bit for me, I'm just a demon anyway so give me that joint shit ha.

Along the same lines of staging and time wasting, I thought this was really funny for getting some time out of the way:
23:39 - Phil wastes 20 seconds with bacon in the chat and shout-outs
(you can watch it here if you're interested. I was sitting there watching the clock and rolling my eyes fondly the whole time while also being incredibly, incredibly bored lmao)

Oh, and this happened right after the staged moment, but I think still worth noting:
11:22 - Phil: I should just do food hauls. Does anyone do food hauls where they just eat on camera and they're like "this tastes nice, you should eat this too" ...Phil's food channel.
13:58 - Phil: I think if I stopped being a youtuber I'd just be a food blogger. Or a restaurant critic. Imagine that, just going to restaurants for free.
Interesting. Maybe Phil's been preparing us for this change for years. Dropping subtle hints, ya know? Trying weird/new foods here, a mukbang there. Maybe this is the true reason behind the hiatus: Phil's ultimate rebranding and new career venture :tinfoil:
18:02 - Phil: I never used to get any spending money. D'you know how much I got? This makes me sound old, uh [laughs] it was really sweet actually, my grandma would give me one pound every month, and she thought that was a lot of money, and she always thought that, so she'd be like "okay, really big treat for you, here's a pound" and I'd be like "aww". Though, at the sweet shop you could get like a hundred cola bottles for so, still a pound goes a long way. And my parents never really used to give me spending money, they'd just be like--I'd be like "can I go to the cinema" and then they'd give me some money for the cinema.
An interesting anecdote about his childhood. Not sure if he's said this at any other time, but I do think it's one of those things that's quite (financially) telling of his upbringing. I never had allowances/any kind of spending money growing up, but I'd say asking your parents for money to do something and then them giving you money is being given spending money, even if you had to ask for it first. He is capita£ester for a reason though, I suppose lol
27:29 - Chat: Phil I have a bump in my shoulder, help!
Phil: I--not being your medical advice, go see your gp--uh, but I've got kind of one there and I had to get it x-rayed when I was like 16, uh and the doctor said it would have been where I've really like banged my shoulder and then it just kind of dislocated a bit, so there's just a little, like a lump, not like a big one. I think I'm growing a wing. I think I'm gonna fly off. [...]Please don't tell me your medical problems, I have no medical experience at all.
Not sure if we'd ever heard this before this liveshow? Or at least in this much detail. I find it interesting though, and something to add to the Phil facts catalogue.
28:14 - Chat: Don't fly off
Phil: I'll be back before you know it
I mean, this isn't anything remarkable, but I found the way he said it interesting, especially since he read it out almost a minute after the initial topic was brought up.
Also, he only directly mentioned Dan twice too, and one of them was just a spon for signed posters (the other one being a vague "we're filming something but I can't tell you yet"). I think contextually, that makes sense given that it was early 2014, but it's also nice to see how now in solo liveshows they both find ways to bring each other up when they don't even need to, nevermind just an overall higher amount of mentions. Growth is good, and it's never been so starkly shown tbh.
this was such an interesting read, thank you for sharing! it makes me want to go back and rewatch a bunch of other liveshows too
kavat wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:46 am
LurkingTrash wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:48 am
starwatersong wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:29 pm
so i got curious and one google search away: that's a 200 piece, so something you would make some tea and get it done in one sitting, maybe one afternoon max
and now i have to deal with the cute scene my brain produced of him turning off for some hours and putting it together while being comfy with some blankets and tea ......thanks brain
I had the same picture in my head so uuh this happened.

Sorry for self spon. Of course I didn't write that at work this morning because projects are slow, who would do such a thing.
this is so cute!!!! i was 'aww'ing the whole time <3
alittledizzy wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:40 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:38 pm Thank you to everyone that donated or bought merch from the Redbubble shop during December! Half of what was raised will go toward forum expenses for 2019, and the other half has been donated to PhandomGives!

And in other news....

:elephant: :babuse: We're doing the IDB Survey again! :babuse: :elephant:

It's just a fun four question form to give us an idea of the demographics of the forum. Click here to fill it out! We'll keep it open for about two weeks, and then post the survey results.
Also, this is just me kind of putting feelers out, but the recent surge of people talking about their fave gaming videos gave me some ideas. Would you guys rather do the IDB Awards again (where we have people vote for faves from the past year from all of their channels) or would you rather some kind of bracket type of voting game where we all vote in rounds to see what game/games from DAPG come out on top overall?
i had a lot of fun voting in the last one, and any excuse to rewatch good videos is an enthusiastic yes from me
i don't really mind how, i think both ways are great
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

they're on a train together :happytears:
visiting friends ???? the friends with the dogs perhaps?
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
animad
squish

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:40 pm Also, this is just me kind of putting feelers out, but the recent surge of people talking about their fave gaming videos gave me some ideas. Would you guys rather do the IDB Awards again (where we have people vote for faves from the past year from all of their channels) or would you rather some kind of bracket type of voting game where we all vote in rounds to see what game/games from DAPG come out on top overall
+1 for a voting bracket!!
starwatersong
phabergé

+1 also for bracket!

This was really cute on Twitter:
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

starwatersong wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:28 pm +1 also for bracket!

This was really cute on Twitter:
okay but why is this Literally dnp........... not to compare, but im gonna compare.

this is adorable tho i love them )-: :lilheart:
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

Bracket sounds great!

(I wonder if Phil ate Martyn's snacks growing up...)
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

obsessivelymoody wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:32 am So this is maybe a little off-topic, but awhile back I was hunting down this moment I saw gifed where Phil talked about going to the BBC Radio Awards in March 2014, and since there weren't any timestamps for the liveshow I ended up watching the whole thing and timestamping it since he spoke about it pretty late into it. Anyway, I was extremely surprised by how many interesting moments there were in the liveshow. If you want to check out the full timestamps I did, you can here, but I've also taken some bits out below that I wanted to talk about a little more.
3:09 - Hair cut talk.
Phil: Also in desperate need of a hair cut right now. Not going to apologize for my hair, but it's beyond the need for a cut. Fabrice did a rubbish job last time, and left like, this piece [picks up the front bit of fringe] really long. Look how long that is. So it keeps going really gap-y at the sides. Hopefully he's gonna fix it, I have a hair cut on Tuesday, uh, where I'm gonna shave the whole thing off before Playlist Live.
3:33 - Phil: If I didn't cut my hair, it wouldn't get longer, like old school Phil, it'd just mushroom out
3:42 - Chat: Cut off the fringe
Phil: Yeah. I actually experimented going fringe-less for the first time in about 7 years the other night, 'cause I went to a 1920s themed event called "Secret Cinema", where you had to dress up as if you were from the 1920s, first of all, and secondly, it turns out people didn't have emo fringes back then, so I had to hairspray it up and across, and there's a picture of me on my twitter [talks about where you can find his twitter] (link to tweet)
4:20 - Chat: We have a Phil's forehead fandom
Phil: Really? [laughs] That's intimidating. Uh, yeah, so my forehead was very cold and exposed, it felt kind of naked.
6:21 - Interrupts himself as he's still talking about the Secret Cinema
Phil, fixing his fringe: Sorry, terrible hair today. If I touch my hair just deal with it, [silly deep voice] I'm not gonna stop! I'm not gonna stop for anyone.
6:53 - Chat: Your hair looks damn fine, so hush
Phil: Okay, that's the last time I'll [unintelligible] my hair. But when I have it cut, d'you reckon I should go full no fringe or is that just like, a terrible idea? Would everyone unsubscribe if I did that?
Chat: Do not!
Phil: Okay I won't.
Chat: Never!!
Phil: Maybe in like...2 years. Three years? Sometimes I wake up and I'm like "I really want to cut my hair off", especially today just because it's so annoying 'cause he cut it wrong, uh so it'd be cool to have a change at one point. But I quite like my look, I think I'd freak myself out in the mirror if I had really short hair. I remember once my brother completely shaved his head, and my parents were like [horrified face] "What have you done to yourself"...he looked so weird. He looked like a startled baby.
Phil spends a good bit at the start of this liveshow talking about his hair, and he brings it back after a couple topic changes too. His hair did look worse than usual in this liveshow, so I kind of don't blame him, though I find it difficult to watch someone repeatedly bring attention to an insecurity. That's something most people do though, so I get it, and it did make for some interesting thoughts from Phil.

When I first watched this, I found it funny that he dragged Fabrice through the mud since he held onto him as his hairdresser for so long, but I mean, if you're not getting what you paid for, makes sense (though Fabrice needs a career change anyway tbh). I can imagine how long he must have been trying to fix it up before the liveshow, just going off of how annoyed he seemed by his hair (didn't stop him from making it worse a couple times throughout).

What I found the most interesting was the mention of cutting it all off/getting a quiff. I'm not sure if there had been any other notable time before then or around that time where he mentioned wanting to cut his hair, and while maybe it was more of a product of his frustration at his bad hair cut, the fact that he asked if everyone would unsubscribe stood out to me. As it was a large part of his worry and reluctance to change his hair in early 2018, I think it's remarkable to see him four years earlier worrying about the same thing. I actually didn't even think he was considering it really back then, maybe more after Dan changed his, maybe a bit before then, but not as early as then (though we did get to see him with a quiff a few times, like in festive ditl, but still). I just see a lot of insecurity in the way he talks about his hair here, and I think comparing that to what we saw him be quite honest about last year, it's really interesting how long that's been mulling around in his head, probably festering a bit over the years. (also...if that was actually Phil reading from the chat, who are the people that hate themselves so much they'd want him to keep the fringe??)
10:53 - Phil looks up, then sits up straight and looks over his computer. Looks back down and 'reads off the chat' "What are you eating?"
10:55 - Phil: I'm not eating anything. I was eating some of these [reaches behind laptop]--I've brought things to show you--which were amazing. New York deli chilli and lemon peanuts [talks about peanuts being good but a bit of a rip off]
I mean, it's absolutely no secret that they definitely have loose plans and structures to their liveshows--along with making shit up in the chat--but just watching this moment, his body language makes that so clear, and I find it so amusing. I actually didn't notice it until I played it back for the third time and was like "...wait". Phil is so good at wasting time in liveshows with the random, menial stuff, and this moment was exactly that. I also think it's interesting when comparing to the way Dan passes the time. Both of them obviously make stuff up in the chat (George and Richard sure get a lot of notices huh :/), but where Phil usually talks about random stuff or brings out stuff like that, Dan waffles. I think that's why joint liveshows work so much better than solo for me personally. I do enjoy solo liveshows every now and again (I miss Dan's music recs, even with his somewhat pretentious was of approaching them), but they really balance each other out where Phil's 5 seconds of silence and random bits are filled with Dan and assisted by Dan, and Dan doesn't dig himself into a hole or starts monologuing for ages (though I will say some of Dan's monologues have been extremely interesting). But I mean, besides the balancing bit for me, I'm just a demon anyway so give me that joint shit ha.

Along the same lines of staging and time wasting, I thought this was really funny for getting some time out of the way:
23:39 - Phil wastes 20 seconds with bacon in the chat and shout-outs
(you can watch it here if you're interested. I was sitting there watching the clock and rolling my eyes fondly the whole time while also being incredibly, incredibly bored lmao)

Oh, and this happened right after the staged moment, but I think still worth noting:
11:22 - Phil: I should just do food hauls. Does anyone do food hauls where they just eat on camera and they're like "this tastes nice, you should eat this too" ...Phil's food channel.
13:58 - Phil: I think if I stopped being a youtuber I'd just be a food blogger. Or a restaurant critic. Imagine that, just going to restaurants for free.
Interesting. Maybe Phil's been preparing us for this change for years. Dropping subtle hints, ya know? Trying weird/new foods here, a mukbang there. Maybe this is the true reason behind the hiatus: Phil's ultimate rebranding and new career venture :tinfoil:
18:02 - Phil: I never used to get any spending money. D'you know how much I got? This makes me sound old, uh [laughs] it was really sweet actually, my grandma would give me one pound every month, and she thought that was a lot of money, and she always thought that, so she'd be like "okay, really big treat for you, here's a pound" and I'd be like "aww". Though, at the sweet shop you could get like a hundred cola bottles for so, still a pound goes a long way. And my parents never really used to give me spending money, they'd just be like--I'd be like "can I go to the cinema" and then they'd give me some money for the cinema.
An interesting anecdote about his childhood. Not sure if he's said this at any other time, but I do think it's one of those things that's quite (financially) telling of his upbringing. I never had allowances/any kind of spending money growing up, but I'd say asking your parents for money to do something and then them giving you money is being given spending money, even if you had to ask for it first. He is capita£ester for a reason though, I suppose lol
27:29 - Chat: Phil I have a bump in my shoulder, help!
Phil: I--not being your medical advice, go see your gp--uh, but I've got kind of one there and I had to get it x-rayed when I was like 16, uh and the doctor said it would have been where I've really like banged my shoulder and then it just kind of dislocated a bit, so there's just a little, like a lump, not like a big one. I think I'm growing a wing. I think I'm gonna fly off. [...]Please don't tell me your medical problems, I have no medical experience at all.
Not sure if we'd ever heard this before this liveshow? Or at least in this much detail. I find it interesting though, and something to add to the Phil facts catalogue.
28:14 - Chat: Don't fly off
Phil: I'll be back before you know it
I mean, this isn't anything remarkable, but I found the way he said it interesting, especially since he read it out almost a minute after the initial topic was brought up.
Also, he only directly mentioned Dan twice too, and one of them was just a spon for signed posters (the other one being a vague "we're filming something but I can't tell you yet"). I think contextually, that makes sense given that it was early 2014, but it's also nice to see how now in solo liveshows they both find ways to bring each other up when they don't even need to, nevermind just an overall higher amount of mentions. Growth is good, and it's never been so starkly shown tbh.
I really love this post. The difference in Phil then and Phil now are so startling. I've been doing a DAPG rewatch from the start and 2014 Phil is just... so weird. I understand why the robo-Phil jokes clung on so hard. He's just quiet, he's so quiet - like his personality (compared to 2018) was muted.

The hair thing is fascinating too. He fixated so hard on it, and that's something I usually associate with Dan more than Phil. It makes me think Phil wanted to change his way longer than six months before he really did.

In the spirit of old liveshow timestamp sharing, I've been going through and taking notes on some of Dan's early 2016 shows and this little story he told about how he likes his toast buttered cracked me up. It's from his January 26 liveshow of that year.
And my mum, who is a woman of very little patience, just use to stab the shit out of the bread that I had on my sandwiches when I was in primary school. So I'd get there and I'd be like wow I can see through the sandwiches. Because she was like - I don't have time for this shit to melt. Bam bam stab stab stab. No - that's why I think people that keep their butter in like those butter things are cool. Because there is nothing better in life than slightly melty butter and just spreading. Spreading. Just spreading. It's good.
snokoplasmic
procrastinator

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:08 pm I really love this post. The difference in Phil then and Phil now are so startling. I've been doing a DAPG rewatch from the start and 2014 Phil is just... so weird. I understand why the robo-Phil jokes clung on so hard. He's just quiet, he's so quiet - like his personality (compared to 2018) was muted.
I'm also on a DAPG rewatch and I'm in September 2016 now -- can I say, I actually was okay with 2014 Phil, he was obviously not fully out there (....personality wise) but I feel like we got lots of random, one-off hilarious moments (or, in the case of the Tekken video which is one of the best things they've ever put on the gaming channel btw just saying, full videos) that made us for the rest, but dear lord getting through 2016 is hard. 2015 was kinda bad, but it was like, different somehow. It felt like some sort of classic caricature of Phil, it didn't feel weirdly disingenuous to me because it felt almost like I was watching a character that just played Phil really well. 2016, on the other hand, feels like something much weirder, like it's Actual Phil trying to play the character of Phil, if that makes any sense at all lol, and it's just kind of uncomfortable to watch. It does, however, make me so grateful for the Phil we have now, and how far he's come. (it also made me realize how far up his ass I am and always have been, as I really never had any problems with him in the height of his awkwardness -- I just accepted that he didn't wanna let us in, and instead just lapped up any bits and pieces of Real Personality that he gave us whoops lol)
Basically what I'm saying is that I just need to stick it out for a couple more videos so I can get to Gamingmas 2016 and I'll be all good....... I'm struggling rn guys 😭
thestigdrivesamini
sad dimple

snokoplasmic wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:26 pm it also made me realize how far up his ass I am and always have been, as I really never had any problems with him in the height of his awkwardness -- I just accepted that he didn't wanna let us in, and instead just lapped up any bits and pieces of Real Personality that he gave us whoops lol
First of all, did I write this? I hate the phrase “phillie” but damnit that man owns me
Yeah, some years are pretty rough to watch because he definitely does feel so inauthentic. And I think the audience noticed it and talked about so much because his personality and quirkiness is what made him endearing and enjoyable to watch. It was like he watered the best parts of himself down. Obviously, it’s understandable that he would change his persona a bit after having such a vulnerable side of himself broadcasted and picked apart.
I’m so glad that he’s seems more comfortable and open now. Can’t wait to see what 2019 Phil looks like.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

Looks like they had an arcade night and I'm in pain :happytears: :happytears: :happytears:
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

obsessivelymoody wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:12 am Looks like they had an arcade night and I'm in pain :happytears: :happytears: :happytears:
i love being a full time internet third wheel :ribena:
"you are next to me in my life"
thestigdrivesamini
sad dimple

They’re so happy :happytears: :happytears:

Dan on DDR is such a throwback. He’s in his element!

Why am I crying?? God, Manchester (I assume. I thought I heard Ian’s voice in the Mario Kart clip) brings out something in them :happytears:
opendoor
rainbow nerd

Thank you boys for walking around filming each other playing.
The Phil taxi driver one is funny. 'Oh god Phil no, oh god no, not the lamppost'.
I miss Dan Howell's stupid face.