Dan & Phil Part 81: Now what?

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
knq
lava lamp
Pronouns: she/her

@idk Thank you for the excellent post! Looking at their pre-Rize sponsorship liveshow activity gives a better picture of their possible future schedules than just looking at the last few months does.
idk wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:54 am Also, I think they’ve become more ~private with regard to liveshows since then. They used to do them come rain wind or shine. They did liveshows at Ian’s house, they did liveshows at Bryony’s house, they did them quickly before/after they had events and they just don’t do that anymore. From this, in addition to liveshows getting shorter and fewer and farther between etc, we can, in my opinion, see that their priorities with regard to liveshows just aren’t what they used to be.
I think some of those early shows happening away from a normal filming location, and even at friends' houses, had less to do with their openness at the time or a need for privacy now and more to do with behind-the-scenes business with YouNow however that was set up. When they became more popular they gained the negotiating power to set very flexible schedules. When they first started they didn't have that.

I've never read a post about how dnp's and other youtubers early contracts with YouNow worked, but just from watching their old shows (and one extremely funny moment where Dan got himself kicked from a stream by telling people to thumbs him down) it seems they had "scheduled" liveshows that were supposed to happen at a specific time, that they didn't need to be thumbed up to keep broadcasting (because that used to be a thing), where Dan thought he couldn't be kicked for being thumbed down, and where certain other features were disabled for the chat. (Also looking at that liveshow just now, apparently he streamed from Bryony's house because there wasn't internet at their new London apartment yet.) Also, for a good year or two there telling people to sign in with facebook and become a fan appeared to be a part of their contract carved in granite.

Anyway, I agree on their shifting priorities and the business aspects of YouNow. I hadn't thought of joint liveshows to the end of the year being a part of the 'what the people want' theme but it honestly makes a lot of sense. I hope it does turn out they want to do more live chatting, though, as I personally really enjoy it, but either way I'm excited to see what 2019 will bring with Phil's first video coming soon.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Do youtubers that are not Dan and Phil still do liveshows nowadays? Genuine question.

Anyway, I hope liveshows won't stop, it's a way for us to know what they're up to and to get our desired Domestic Content.

I almost expected a Dan liveshow this week, but maybe he wants to posts a video before that because the chat would inevitably be spammed with 'when is dinof coming back?' and all of that.

I am praying for Phil's video tonight. No idea what it will be about, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was something along the lines of 'Trying New Things', meaning he could say and try to do things he always wanted to do, a sort of New Year's Resolutions, maybe? (and he could talk about wanting to change his filming background as one of those things.)
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
autumnhearth
senpai

Nice analysis @idk while I don’t think they will be ending the live shows completely this year, I do think a lot of your observations and reasoning are spot on. Very interesting that they haven’t been answering as many premiums.

@glitterintheair my husband mentioned yesterday that a Try New Things series would be perfect for Phil or as an occasional collab. He gave goat yoga as an example.

Oh and I totally spaced on the most obvious egg themed Easter activity yesterday: dying eggs, duh!
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I haven’t noticed many doing liveshows. A year ago, or maybe longer, I could watch Dan, Phil, PetesJams, Carrie, Gary C, and Niki and Sammy each week on YouNow. Carrie’s got more into ig stories and Gary sometimes does a live ig stream, PJ does some drawing streams on YouTube, Dean Dobbs has done a few in the past and a few other artists do on YT or Twitch.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Most of the people I follow that do livestreams do them on youtube now, or they've turned it into a patreon option. In fact, now that I think about it, most of them have made it a patreon option.
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

autumnhearth wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:48 pm @glitterintheair my husband mentioned yesterday that a Try New Things series would be perfect for Phil or as an occasional collab. He gave goat yoga as an example.
Oh god, yes! Now that you've mentioned it, I realise I NEED that.
:gayaf:
kavat
pastel persona

I also think that liveshows will be even more rare this year, perhaps when they have something new to promote. Which is kinda sad, I've always loved them a lot.

In other news, I found this review för II on Letterboxd and it made me laugh.
(Link)
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:08 pm Most of the people I follow that do livestreams do them on youtube now, or they've turned it into a patreon option. In fact, now that I think about it, most of them have made it a patreon option.
Yea, PJ's doodle streams (on youtube) and patreon livestreams (also on youtube but unlisted) are my absolute favorite. They happen 1) consistently at the same predictable time 2) they're calm and not overrun with gifs and clapping hands and pure chaos 3) he answers questions 4) you can actually read the chat - I actually put it on in the background, since it airs in my time zone when I'm at work, and it's like...calming. (he also uses a nice camera so it looks way better than mobile but that's here nor there).

Some of that is just PJ's style/size of community vs the Phandom, but I do think part of it is due to the platform - youtube is just better at livestreams these days. There's still premium messages and such, but it isn't just utter chaos the way younow (or even worse, Rize) felt.
Last edited by plinthofmylife on Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I'm gonna throw out a theory for the liveshows: I think they will come back, because I think they're a very functional and low-effort way for Dan and Phil to convey things to us as a dedicated audience - and no matter how much you want to say Dan and Phil don't need to do things because they've already got financial stability, I do not believe they're at the point yet where they want to handwave things altogether. I think that if liveshows were going away entirely, they'd have ripped that bandaid off at the same time they told us about pinof and DAPG. Instead we got an emphatic reassurance that nothing else was changing, so for the moment I'm giving them some faith with that.

But I think we won't get liveshows until they've made a decision about what happens with DAPG, because I think they're not going to want to have to deal with a liveshow that's nothing but a flood of people asking about that and only that. I think once the channel is back, if it comes back, or they're ready to announce it won't come back at all, we'll get liveshows again - maybe not weekly, I'll give that concession, but on a regular basis.
autumnhearth
senpai

I was rewatching some old Dan videos searching for which ones had Becky and Jessica in them, and at the beginning of Human Interaction Dan says he’s “not particularly an introvert”. Lies. Or know people change/grow to better understand themselves. :shrug:
greenergrass
stress mushroom

autumnhearth wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:43 pm I was rewatching some old Dan videos searching for which ones had Becky and Jessica in them, and at the beginning of Human Interaction Dan says he’s “not particularly an introvert”. Lies. Or know people change/grow to better understand themselves. :shrug:
Lol yeah I've thought of that video moment too with the whole introvert branding, and always find it amusing. I think dan's definitely an introvert, and this was very much a case of him not understanding what an introvert was at that time. Back when that video was made, I think introvert used to basically stand for 'shy' in a lot of people's eyes, and since we know dan is confident talking to people and can hold his own in a social setting, he prob thought he wasn't a total introvert. And it was also probably partly him just growing and coming to terms with himself more, as you said.
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

phil's tweet kicked me in the ribs and stole my organs.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
Ablissa
pastel persona

@idk thank you so much for your post! I always love your analysis and you brought up a lot of points I haven't considered myself. I concede that you are likely right, but I'm still choosing to hold on to my hope that they won't just drop live shows. I agree with @alittledizzy that it's a good way for them to keep us posted, and while they are rich, I also think they won't turn their nose up at such easy income. (although the premium thing made me wonder)

Anyway...: So... are they moving, or is he going to redecorate the broom closet before they move? Feels pointless. Don't do it, Philip.
(Also, I'm so so excited omg)

I think that if he really does end up redecorating the broom closet, it might be proof they're not moving just yet...
Last edited by Ablissa on Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lionandllama
squish

ratlad wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:23 pm phil's tweet kicked me in the ribs and stole my organs.
I fully agree with this and am also so fucking pumped for the new background, I am READY, I have been PATIENT. God, I am literally so excited to see the new background soon and I hope it brings him a lot of joy to come up with it and design it and film in it.

Also very interesting and good opinions on them re:liveshows, personally I think the future of their liveshows really depends on wether Phil hates doing them or not and how good Dan is at convincing him it’s an easy way to stay connected to their audience. I don’t mind short liveshows, I don’t need an entire hour dedicated to listening to British men babble on a webcam, but I do really enjoy the 20-30 minutes ones.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

I love that Phil didn't even give us options to choose from, he's just letting us say whatever we want, lmao.

I am EXCITED but I have questions.

1) is he still gonna film in the broom closet? If so, does that mean he's getting rid of the bed since there's literally no way he can still film there without having the bed in shot?
2) is he gonna change location altogether? But where else could he go?
3) did he already film his video?

I need answers, Mr. Amazing!
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

I feel like his tweet is to inform a bigger audience about the new background. Plant seeds and all that.

Feels weird though if he wants to specifically decorate it as "his set" again. Then how will it be different from the previous setup, apart from no bed?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

LtrllySusan wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:54 pm I feel like his tweet is to inform a bigger audience about the new background. Plant seeds and all that.
This is a good point - the liveshow audiences are relatively small, and we know they're a fan of seeding things. It wouldn't surprise me if the next video is the normal background but he maybe just references changing it.

Or that's me really not wanting to believe that it's been days and he still hasn't filmed.
knq
lava lamp

Didn’t they film the Manchester ditl portion of GTPWTW before they actually tweeted requests? Maybe Phil forgot that he said (well, Dan said) he’d be asking for viewer input on his background and only asked while he was editing. I’m positive they learned a lot more from those II surveys than just what they used in a few jokes, and even if they hadn’t Phil could have predicted ‘plants’ and ‘Dan’ either way.

But if they’re doing the twitter viewing party on Saturday I admit it seems likely Phil might not be posting his video until a few days after that to spread things out.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I like to pretend the current break in videos isn't getting to me but also I just got waaaaaaaay too emotional at Phil using Dan's Colin mug and I think that reveals a deeper truth that I'm not ready to personally acknowledge yet.
thestigdrivesamini
sad dimple

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:14 am I like to pretend the current break in videos isn't getting to me but also I just got waaaaaaaay too emotional at Phil using Dan's Colin mug and I think that reveals a deeper truth that I'm not ready to personally acknowledge yet.
I came on here to say the same thing. Why did that just fill me with all the love??

Also, who is this man with matching white socks and what has he done with Phil?!? Guess he’s killing all the branding smh for shame
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Love the mug but jfc DRINKING FUDGE? At some point Phil is just straight up gonna shoot sugar syrup into his bloodstream isn't he?
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
hello9217
flower crown

I'm so interested about Phil changing up his background. Like if he still films in the same room but gets rid of the bed, since he specifically said he doesn't want to film on a bed anymore, then that speaks volumes. I'm just excited to see what he does while also hoping that he decides to change his lighting while he's at it so it's not as bright.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

I am still sitting on the forever home 2019 hill, but I don't think they're moving right at this moment; I did think that the filming flat lease was possibly up and that Phil would move into filming in their flat initially but I just don't think that's happened yet.

BUT my current theory is that Phil already filmed in front of the bed for this week's video (he did say it would take awhile to change), but for the video after that, the AP background will be no longer a bed and will STILL be in the AP "set" room.

Phil just won't acknowledge it is the same room with some level of plausibility deniability with generic white walls and like...plants and a different angle (straight on the bed wall perhaps; no dresser visible). Thereby doing a very typical "we know you know but we're not going to talk about it" that has become the norm since 2017.
Phantasy
woodland creature

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:41 pm I'm gonna throw out a theory for the liveshows: I think they will come back, because I think they're a very functional and low-effort way for Dan and Phil to convey things to us as a dedicated audience - and no matter how much you want to say Dan and Phil don't need to do things because they've already got financial stability, I do not believe they're at the point yet where they want to handwave things altogether. I think that if liveshows were going away entirely, they'd have ripped that bandaid off at the same time they told us about pinof and DAPG. Instead we got an emphatic reassurance that nothing else was changing, so for the moment I'm giving them some faith with that.

But I think we won't get liveshows until they've made a decision about what happens with DAPG, because I think they're not going to want to have to deal with a liveshow that's nothing but a flood of people asking about that and only that. I think once the channel is back, if it comes back, or they're ready to announce it won't come back at all, we'll get liveshows again - maybe not weekly, I'll give that concession, but on a regular basis.
I would agree. I think the live shows provide their most stable and consistent income stream as well and as you mention it’s such low effort. I reckon if you strip away all their other businesses, merch, and youtube, the livestream income pays for their core finances, so things like rent, utilities and food—so essentially the live shows are their 9 to 5 job, condensed down to 35-50min a week (with ample vacation time). Unless something changes with the payment model, I have to imagine they will continue in some form.
opendoor
rainbow nerd

Eh it's close enough to a Phil with Colin photo, I'll take it.

Also I can't believe how long it's been since content. I really want the Phil vid to materialise in the next 24 hours *fingers crossed*.
I miss Dan Howell's stupid face.