Dan & Phil Part 81: Now what?

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
knq
lava lamp
Pronouns: she/her

He’s going to change something on his channel every day until he uploads. It’s like a countdown except without the numbers.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

I wanna know what that pattern in his new header is. Everything's a hint. Everything's a clue.

:sherlock:
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

knq wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:50 pm ngl it sounds like a creepy euphemism for a grave :shock:
this just made me laugh out so loud i might have waken someone up. thank you for that i love it and from now on this shall be on my mind whenever i read the phrase "forever home".
:bedtime:
thank's you were great
starwatersong
phabergé

Last edited by rizzo on Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed code
Ablissa
pastel persona

He changed his profile picture again (on yt)... Phil, quit playing games with my heart 🎵

Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I'm fine with whatever fringeless profile pic Phil chooses but that header... it's a no from me. Doesn't match the aesthetic, it's too 2014.

Any chance Dan will realize his profile's current aesthetic is more cringe than any of the 2011 era shit he worries about? And also kinda ugly?

I want a video :(
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

How long has it been since Phil tweeted that guinea pig photo? Has it been a week already? He doesn't usually tease us for this long before dropping a new video. I'm growing impatient!
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell
knq
lava lamp

I watched my first podcast from Jenna and Julien today and I am now solidly on Team Podcast! The only podcasts I'd heard before that were NPR type things, Serial, and Welcome to Night Vale, so I never quite understood the idea of YouTubers doing podcasts. It seemed like a comfy low-energy liveshow without the chat.

If Dan and Phil wanted to continue sharing themselves outside their creative content with the internet in 2019 (which I'm not sure if they do or not, time will tell) a podcast like Jenna and Julien's seems like a combination of all the nice things from liveshows but without the immediate audience reaction and with the ability to edit. They did the mukbang and the director's commentary--both of which I find upsetting to watch so I don't really know why I'm Team Podcast but I am--and I feel like that's proof of concept for the length and relatively unedited nature of a podcast.

I could see Dan having difficulty doing the kind of #spon that Jenna and Julien did, just due to the length of time they spent talking about their sponsors, but in the podcast I watched Julien did all the #spon while Jenna held their dog. Dan and Phil would just need a podcast dog for Dan to hold.

Generally what struck me about the podcast and what I'd love to see develop for Dan and Phil was the comfort Jenna and Julien seemed to have with being low-energy on camera. I think as an audience those candid moments are some of our favorites because they're fairly rare, and Dan and Phil tend to be 'on' when a camera is on.

I'm excited to see how they branch out creatively in 2019, and now I'm really craving seeing them gain comfort in a less creative, or just less performative, context as well.

I can dream. Dreams are all I have now that Phil's become a full time graphic designer.
bifaeri
tol bean

knq wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:04 am I can dream. Dreams are all I have now that Phil's become a full time graphic designer.
I completely agree with everything you said and I actually choked on my drink at "full time graphic designer" :lol:

But for real though. Mr AmazingPhil please I have some questions
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

(im peeking out from the lurker shadow to drop my probably useless podcast opinions and sorry if i dont make sense i should be sleeping)

my only real exposure to podcast was from the mcelroys and honestly, im glad theyre my first because they are the epitome of Chaotic Good. i havent really caught up in a while but heres a cut from one of their past live show (as in one where they had live audience)just so yall hve an idea how they are.

anyways...

because theyre my only exposure (tho ive listened/watched a fewof jenna and julins as well), i was never really was against dnp possibly doing it as a Thing they could do for the future. to me, it seemed like a good middle ground for video uploads and liveshows whenever they want something with structure yet more candid and less produced = more chill. like, they could literally do it in their pajamas or naked and we would be none the wiser since its just all audio. drawing from the mcelroy energy, there is so many possibilities for them to do, it just depend son WHAT direction they want to take it.

and sure, dan has the tendency to ramble on and on and have a real deep conversation where it can get a bit too heavy, but thats where phil comes in. hes a good counter-balance to dan and im sure yall know that too. hes good at breaking tension either by doing or saying something weird or just by making dan chuckle. also hopefully, phil would be more comfortable expressing his opinions w this format too...all i see are good things

sidenote: when will their youtube channels come back from war? feed us of your Content. we are sTARVED
"you are next to me in my life"
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Us: VIDEO
Phil: DOTS

Also, I don't like the new pic, the previous one was so much better. Why, Phil, why??

RE: podcast - Jenna and Julien's podcast was actually the reason why I started dreaming about dnp doing one themselves. It's true that dnp are always 'on' when they film, but they're definitely starting to chill a little nowadays. I think I need to see how they will be in the first videos of the year before I form clearer opinions on the matter, tbh.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
noodlebum
flower crown

Catallena wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:54 am Any chance Dan will realize his profile's current aesthetic is more cringe than any of the 2011 era shit he worries about? And also kinda ugly?
Agreed! Just had a nose yesterday, ew no.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

I am convinced that Dan and Phil are both crying laughing watching the Phandom melt down as phil changes one dot at a time on his header.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

glitterintheair wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:15 am Us: VIDEO
Phil: DOTS
Radical Conceptussy: This is the video. The video is a social experiment.

How many minute and insignificant changes will we notice? When will we stop caring? How do our reactions to these changes reflect our reactions to bigger developments in Dan and Phil’s lives?

Orrrrr.... he’s doing a What I Got for Christmas video. IDFK.
Ablissa
pastel persona

(controversial opinion alert)
I'm gonna say it: I'm not that keen on the new header.
When he first used that default photo of trees, I thought he's going in a bit different direction. This new header is too idk, too AmazingPhil as opposed to Phil Lester. I'm not saying he needs to cut all ties with his branding, but I just thought we'd get something a liiittle bit more 'serious', for a lack of a better word.
Catallena wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:54 am I'm fine with whatever fringeless profile pic Phil chooses but that header... it's a no from me. Doesn't match the aesthetic, it's too 2014.

Any chance Dan will realize his profile's current aesthetic is more cringe than any of the 2011 era shit he worries about? And also kinda ugly?

I want a video :(
Basically I agree with all of the above.
liola
rankussy

Dan also changed his Twitter header but maintains the pfp from the ii photoshoot.

They hate us, they do
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I'm gonna go ahead and share my maybe-controvserial stance that I care decidedly less about this upcoming video now than I did even three days ago. My anticipation was built up, hit a peak, and I'm on the downhill slope where I really just want him to post so that people can actually have the new content to talk about and not just sit around with all of us paralyzed by this invisible countdown. I'm more excited for the video to be up just so this is over than I am the video itself, and that's annoying. Please, Phil, no more teasing a video you're not gonna post for over a week. Leave that to Dan, we expect it from him.
hello9217
flower crown

Yeah I agree. The wait has been too long that now I'm just like upload a video and get it over with. It's already the 22nd and they have been so quiet. They weren't even this quiet last year and they were planning a world tour. I don't doubt that they are doing things behind the scenes but can we just have something :shrug: And yeah I'm not too keen on the changes phil's making to his youtube page. Idk I just wish he'd use something more him rather than more "Amazingphil." Like even the photo he's using is from his merch photo shoot. Like if we could choose I think the knit sweater one where he has his glasses on or the poundland parking lot photoshoot are better options.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

hello9217 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:00 pm Yeah I agree. The wait has been too long that now I'm just like upload a video and get it over with. It's already the 22nd and they have been so quiet. They weren't even this quiet last year and they were planning a world tour. I don't doubt that they are doing things behind the scenes but can we just have something :shrug: And yeah I'm not too keen on the changes phil's making to his youtube page. Idk I just wish he'd use something more him rather than more "Amazingphil." Like even the photo he's using is from his merch photo shoot. Like if we could choose I think the knit sweater one where he has his glasses on or the poundland parking lot photoshoot are better options.
If I had to guess I'd say he feels like his youtube one needs to be "professional" and I think the merch photos are the only ones even close to professional looking that he has since the quiff change. I agree with you, I like the poundland one or even his current twitter pic better, but they do both look like just pictures someone took with a phone while he was out. A really high quality phone, but still just casual pictures.

My issue with the merch ones are just that they don't look like Phil. We've talked before about how the pictures Dan thinks are best of himself aren't the ones we like, and I think the same goes for Phil. The weird head tilt half-smile thing just isn't Phil, that's not what my mind associates with him. I hope he changes it again and at least goes for one with a more typical expression.
liola
rankussy

No I also agree that I'm tired of the wait already. I was sure he would post last night because there seem to be no reason for this delay, he usually films and posts quite fast, and he tweeted about planning to film 8 days ago, meaning he already knew what the video was going to be. He had the haircut, the viewparty happened, he changed his layout, what is he waiting for? Why are they not communicating? I need something at this point and whatever it is people will be disappointed because there's been so much hype, it's always the same with Dan.

I'm just tired of waiting without knowing how long

I also agree on his profile pic, but I did prefer the first one he changed to than this one. At least that was one people was accustomed to since its also his instagram pic, this just looks random
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I’ll add to that that I don’t want to expect it from Dan anymore either. If I wanted to sit around waiting on a man, well, I’d go out more and meet one perhaps. I’m usually the first not to mind the lack of content, have enough else to do etc, in theory, right now I’m too fed up to focus on much, got to hoping last night and then work got cancelled today so thumbs are a-twiddling (missed a funeral due to that work, it’s not often I actually want to cry). If they’re still taking their time for reasons, okay, but we’re here with multiple platforms they could use to tell us something. I find it difficult to believe they honestly still don’t know that even a little info over silence is a good idea. I don’t want to think they like playing with us or sitting there laughing at people’s reactions, it feels like a step into paranoia, but idk.

I like Phil’s photos, hadn’t occurred to me that they’re merch photos as such. I preferred the smiley one in the grey fox sweater, but the blossoms in the plant hoodie one do go with the pastel header. Still it’s a bit safe and cute compared to the forest lake stock photo. Dan’s new Twitter header is gorgeous art and even though the icon is from ii, it’s a lovely photo of him.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

My top choice for Phil's yt pics would be the one with the blue jumper and glasses or the cherry blossom one. But I liked the fox sweater one a lot, too.

Teasing a video for so long is so unlike Phil, though. At this point I think he wanted to change his bg before filming - but if that's the case, it would have made more sense for him to ask people what they wanted to see in the new bg BEFORE announcing he was gonna film, not the exact opposite. Hmm. I don't know, man. I understand if they're busy or up to something, but a little update would be appreciated. We're here waiting for content and we're not getting anything - no ig stories, no ls, nothing... they're just out there, changing layouts. :tumbleweed: (I find hilarious that Dan was like 'the ii era is over, we can move on now finally bye onto the future' and then he posted a picture of him playing the piano during the show, changed the ii header only today and god only knows when he will change his pfp... and I'm already dreading the one he will choose.)
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
Ablissa
pastel persona

WHAT montage?? Can you two stop being cryptic and post something pls. I agree with @alittledizzy, I just want it to happen so we can stop being on edge.
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

for once i know and have already listened to dan's rec!
:gayaf:
thestigdrivesamini
sad dimple

My anxiety can not handle these two right now. STOP BEING WEIRD AND VAGUE.

Also, it’s his actual face! Yay!