Dan & Phil Part 81: Now what?

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
autumnhearth
senpai
Pronouns: she/her

LtrllySusan wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:18 pm I like how natural he is speaking.

I don't like the bed discourse.

I like saying goodbye to the filming flat.

I am not sure how to feel about channel memberships.

The end,
Sadly I’m pretty sure that’s still the filming flat (you can tell by the sound quality) it’s just on the other side of the decoration station table in the baking kitchen, where they filmed the Chopstick Challenge, so whoever called it good job! Many reasons, all of which he forgot. Cool, cool. I did like appreciate the mild cursing, penises and naked men mentions. And shoutout to @CapriciousCrab!

Wait... no that wall was grey... I thought because of that particular houseplant and the transparent green chair... I guess it could be anywhere... but I’m gonna go with another part of the slounge.
Last edited by autumnhearth on Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lionandllama
squish

The entire “Don’t want a camera facing my bed all the time and when guests who don’t know what I’m doing come visit the house it’s weird when they see the camera there ahahahaha” was hella cringey and unnecessary imo, literally just say “I don’t wanna film on a bed like a teenager anymore” and everything would be fine.

But the rest of the video I really liked, I love the new background, I love his energy and joy and am excited for new stuff to come. Not sure about the memberships either tho. We’ll see what they’ll bring.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

So what was the video about? Lol all I've gotten from this forum is that he got rid of the bed. Clearly know what matters here at idb hahah. No but really, what was the video? Just him talking about changing his filming location?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

My gut says that's not the filming flat anymore. The echo lends to me thinking he's filming in the lounge upstairs, but his setup being against a white wall means that he could easily relocate the new setup anywhere at any time and just recreate the shelf situation.

I do think it's 100% not the same room he was filming in before.

Also, I missed his face. I'm glad to see his face.
whatdoiknow wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:28 pm So what was the video about? Lol all I've gotten from this forum is that he got rid of the bed. Clearly know what matters here at idb hahah. No but really, what was the video? Just him talking about changing his filming location?
He picked things for his video bg from viewer suggestions and then went through shopping for some stuff on his own, then showed us the haul. Also, mentioned dick approximately once every two minutes, and I find it hilarious that IDB cares more about the bed than the dick talk. I love this forum, never change.
Ablissa
pastel persona

I didn't like the bed talk, buuut I braced for it and it was nowhere near as bad as I expected. He had to mention it, it wasn't the worst scenario, it's okay. Also it was pretty clear that he doesn't sleep there from the way he spoke about it.
I'm confused by the placement - if this is still the filming flat, then they're not letting that go? Maybe they really are moving soon? Let's hope :lol: This background allows them to move anywhere as long as there is a white wall. It gives me Hope for my moving wishes.

It wasn't a groundbreaking video, but it was nice and I like his new set. I longed for more mentions of Dan or the future in general. I missed Phil loads.
He seems more serious about his channel. Does that mean we can expect more videos now?
I don't mind the membership thing, it's cheap, a lot of youtubers are doing it. I prefer it to patreon at least.

When will we get a joint video? The lack of links to DAPG anywhere bothers me...
Last edited by Ablissa on Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

well... i'm not complaining. i was starving for either of them to upload and now I Have Been Fed. the hunger is appeased.

as for what the video was about: clearly an elaborate agenda to make as many dick jokes as possible. did anyone count?
thank's you were great
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I liked that a lot, it’s simple, but interesting to hear his thoughts on the suggestions and what he decided to buy. I was amused by the websites he zoomed in on to hide how much things were (I’m guessing, dunno why else he’d do that). I didn’t think anything of the size of the vase, but it looked small in the photo, I didn’t think of how big a plant he was hoping to put in it. The shelves look good, I like that pale wood and yay Lion!

It does look a little stark to see him against a white wall even with the stuff behind, both old chests of drawers were bigger and he's closer to the wall so it’s a lot smaller, also his hair being shorter, he looks a little bigger in comparison. He didn’t seem more natural to me tbh cos I’ve felt that for a while even in his AP videos including the last spon. I wondered for a short moment if he was going to say anything more about not needing the bed, but what he said also made sense. Back pain hadn’t occurred to me, but yes, good to sit up with lumbar support.
Last edited by flarequake on Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
liola
rankussy

Well that was a nice video, but all in all I was hoping for a "why i changed my hair" vibe and it wasn't quite the same. I guess if we hadn't known that he wanted to change his background then maybe it would feel more like a big deal.

I'm okay with the way he addressed the bed actually, he had to do it in some ways and I don't think there's anythign wrong or weird with what he said. I loved the emphasis on "get rid of the bed" actually.

And that is a big echo-y empty space which means i'm still on my moving hill, looking out and waiting to see what the wind will bring me
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

I'd like to point out how much of this video was filled with slightly-too-long moments to make the 10 minute mark. Namely @6:35.

The bed moment didn't bother me in any capacity? Whether or not you sleep in a bed, it's weird to show people around and point to a bed surrounded by cameras. He ain't wrong.

Also his hair's extra short and I reallyreally love it.
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

I joined but who knows if I'll stay. Pretty standard looking perks but this is interesting

"Every few months I'll post a Q&A style video where I choose at least half from members!"
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
greenergrass
stress mushroom

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:30 pm My gut says that's not the filming flat anymore. The echo lends to me thinking he's filming in the lounge upstairs, but his setup being against a white wall means that he could easily relocate the new setup anywhere at any time and just recreate the shelf situation.

I do think it's 100% not the same room he was filming in before.

Also, I missed his face. I'm glad to see his face.
whatdoiknow wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:28 pm So what was the video about? Lol all I've gotten from this forum is that he got rid of the bed. Clearly know what matters here at idb hahah. No but really, what was the video? Just him talking about changing his filming location?
He picked things for his video bg from viewer suggestions and then went through shopping for some stuff on his own, then showed us the haul. Also, mentioned dick approximately once every two minutes, and I find it hilarious that IDB cares more about the bed than the dick talk. I love this forum, never change.
Ahaha classic idb. And thanks for the summary!
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

Because i am starved for content i likes it but it was just nice, not amazing (haha) but i'm so glad to have content.
But now i think of the next time we'll have some. :(

I like the background and the vibe is definetly different! That i love!

Didn't really get what the channel membership was about tho

edit : loved the way he makes the innuendos glad this is not gone and the bed thing was a bit cringe but okay!
Last edited by Ataraxia25 on Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:gayaf:
kavat
pastel persona

I like that it was just a classic AmazingPhil video, but ended up in a new place. Funny how it's just a blank wall and could be literally anywhere, let the theories begin. I hope that he notices that it sounds like he's in a tin can and puts a rug down or something.

The bit about the bed was half funny half cringey. But I'm just glad it's finally gone!
glitterintheair
phillluminati

God, I really missed Phil. I enjoyed the video and he looked veeery good.
The bed thing didn't bother me at all, tbh. Although I must admit that when he said he wanted to get rid of it for "many reasons" I had 3 heart attacks at the same time.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
autumnhearth
senpai

kavat wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:40 pm I like that it was just a classic AmazingPhil video, but ended up in a new place. Funny how it's just a blank wall and could be literally anywhere, let the theories begin. I hope that he notices that it sounds like he's in a tin can and puts a rug down or something.

The bit about the bed was half funny half cringey. But I'm just glad it's finally gone!
Yes! The tin can sound was my initial issue with the gaming channel vids when they first moved. Chopstick Challenge and Viewers Choose My Outfits sound the same. Darn tile flooring.

The bed thing wasn’t *horribly* explained, it just made me cackle as I don’t think any of their guests have been in the filming flat, probably just the landlord. All their collabs were in their upstairs lounge (which has good sound and lighting, go figure). But like everyone gets the gist and that’s how it actually was for many years.
noodlebum
flower crown

lilabet wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:37 pm I joined but who knows if I'll stay. Pretty standard looking perks but this is interesting

"Every few months I'll post a Q&A style video where I choose at least half from members!"
I'm not going to join, but at least there's confirmation of 1 type of video he's going to try to do semi-regularly.

Definitely needs colourful fairy lights behind him too I reckon, and something bright to replace the stag or bird.

Apart from that I like it :) Nice shelves
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

i screeched when he said "dumbass" lmao
i like the background !!!! but the big plant smushed into the corner is a bit distracting. i thought it was still in his little filming room but not a lot of people think so.... hmm. echoey.
also. dannyboy :( <3
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

If they really want to rake in some membership money, they'll bring back a revamped DAPG, open up memberships there, and make liveshows one of the membership benefits. It would supplement that premium/bars money well I think.
Cafil
squish
Pronouns: She/Her

I thought the video was pretty calm not outstanding and not boring just somewhere in between like someone else said it was nice. The bed talk didn't bother me at all either, honestly that whole part just says he doesn't sleep in that room lol
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

I mean, the video itself didn't offer much newness at all but I think it was a total breath of fresh air with the Phil we got to see come out in 2018 and the whole revamp of AmazingPhil. I wonder what they're doing with their channels now. Fucking capita£ester is going to persuade me to join the membership. Sigh I will consult my budget sheet for him I guess lol. I did make a face at the bed in the opening scene.

I'm not sure if it's either my eyes or his lens but the wall seemed to be a bit curved to me, which is leading me to believe that it isn't the gaming flat. And even if that's just me, those were some very tight angles. My tin foil hat has never been on so firmly.

I still think they won't be getting rid of joint content, even with Phil's channel revamp. I think that would be too much of a hit on their overall income and audience engagement. But maybe I'm just mourning the gaming channel right now, even though having a bit of content was nice. Actually I was about to hit post but I agree with @alittledizzy about memberships. It would be a lot more effective with a joint channel. I hope that doesn't bring up fear in the masses that they're going separate ways.
George
sad dimple

All the jokes about Capita£ester aside, I don't really like this new join the channel thing. Also I'm not understanding properly what is it about? Yeah, they have to make money somehow, but it just sounds like something a desperate youtuber at the end of their career would do, and Phil ain't there yet. Their content being free is a big part of their appeal, I guess they really aren't looking new subscribers anymore. Feels like a beginning to an end.
You should never go to sleep on an argument.
FlegmaticSimon
drama llama

Well, that video was great fun! :D I like the new background.

I'm still confused about the location of his set though. :)

Also, I may have laughed a bit too hard at the chair. :lol: But that's a great idea! It's much more comfortable when you film for a long time. It was interesting to see him take back problems into account. He probably realised he has to take care of himself more. :)
hello9217
flower crown

The membership thing is quite weird to me. Like it's fine that he's doing but just interesting. If they cut ties with younow and then also put a hold on dnpgames, it makes since that they have to compensate for that somehow. I can't imagine dan doing that though, guaranteeing content is not his strongest quality. I still hope we get joint live shows though, especially since our guaranteed joint content has been put on hold.
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

hmmm is the filming flat dead? my second guess was the living room as well, where the curved wall is.
the membership thing is sorta weird to me cause i don't fully understand why or what exactly the benefits are.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
onceinaugust
rainbow nerd

George wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:55 pm All the jokes about Capita£ester aside, I don't really like this new join the channel thing. Also I'm not understanding properly what is it about? Yeah, they have to make money somehow, but it just sounds like something a desperate youtuber at the end of their career would do, and Phil ain't there yet. Their content being free is a big part of their appeal, I guess they really aren't looking new subscribers anymore. Feels like a beginning to an end.
It definitely not just a dying youtuber thing. I was over at my neighbors house this week when their son was begging them to let them become a member for Dude Perfect, who have 38 million subscribers. It kind of reminds me of subscriptions on Twitch, where you can still get the main content for free, but you get added emojis and badges, a little extra content, and an extra way to support people you like.
"You loved it, you want to do it more."
"Alright"