Dan & Phil Part 81: Now what?

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
waveydnp
drama llama

Amiaw wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:32 pm
waveydnp wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:14 pm does anyone else just a lingering anger at the way things are going right now? idk if i’m just being a petty bitch or not.
I wouldn’t say that I’m angry but I’m definitely irritated. I completely understand wanting to slow down their pace from last year but this radio silence is what’s getting to me. I’m usually pretty easy to please in regards to dnp but no live shows, no dapg, no tweets, and no Instagram with zero explanation is kind of insulting after last year’s message of “we care about you as much as you care about us”

I don’t ask for much but a tumblr post, some tweets, or by some miracle a video that explains their thoughts would be nice and show that they appreciate their viewers.

And if they truly aren’t ready to come back or if they are over the YouTube thing save the random video then I’d miss it but it would be easier to accept then just not knowing anything.
i think i’m just feeling very unforgiving since they bombshelled the dapg ‘hiatus.’ i agree that after them saying they want to please us and give us what they want, this silence is.... not it. like, it’s exactly the opposite.

and -unpopular opinion?- i really don’t care about tweets or ig stories. that’s not content. i want videos. i want them to put in effort, and if they’re not going to do that, i want them to communicate it.

maybe i’m expecting too much. maybe i’m expecting them to treat us like they care about us a little more? i’m fully aware that technically speaking they don’t us anything at all. they could disappear forever and technically there’s no harm no foul. but they’ve communicated to us lately that they do care, so i’d really appreciate some honesty at this point. phil tweeting about filming a video and then waiting almost two weeks to post it is just rude imo.

and basically nothing from dan for a whole month after nearly a year of no videos is a big eye roll, especially in light of no dapg. it’s really not that hard to film a video, sorry. he wants to call himself an entertainer, so like... give us something entertaining dude. literally not a single soul is going to complain if he posts a fun, ‘superficial’ video.

if they’re honestly too busy with other things, they should tell us. and stop with the constant merch hawking. and not be charging five dollars a month for ‘extra content’ when they’re barely giving us anything as it is.

so yeah. sorry. i know i’m probably being too harsh. i’m just very disappointed and feeling like they’re not being entirely respectful with the knowledge that they have legions of people out there desperately wanting just a little bit more.
CapriciousCrab
sad dimple
Pronouns: She/her

waveydnp wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:14 pm does anyone else just a lingering anger at the way things are going right now? idk if i’m just being a petty bitch or not.
Nope, you're not being petty. I'm pretty annoyed too. I get that they needed a break or whatever but lbr, a 30-second insta story is a low effort way to connect with your viewers. And if they can't be bothered to make the effort then why should I bother to stay invested?
If they're done then i wish they'd just say so.
double dimple
smol bean
Pronouns: she/her

What I'm finding the most frustrating at the moment is the lack of transparency. Like, if they’re done with liveshows/gaming, I wish they'd just let us know because I don't know if I'm being stupidly naïve (I probably am) in thinking that things might go back to being similar to the way they were last year (i.e. regular-ish liveshows and joint content). I mean, I know that's really unlikely, but it would good to know for sure so that I could lower my expectations :shrug:
waveydnp
drama llama

double dimple wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:14 pm
What I'm finding the most frustrating at the moment is the lack of transparency. Like, if they’re done with liveshows/gaming, I wish they'd just let us know because I don't know if I'm being stupidly naïve (I probably am) in thinking that things might go back to being similar to the way they were last year (i.e. regular-ish liveshows and joint content). I mean, I know that's really unlikely, but it would good to know for sure so that I could lower my expectations :shrug:
exactly. keeping us hanging is just not kind. it makes me feel foolish
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Amiaw wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:32 pm
I wouldn’t say that I’m angry but I’m definitely irritated. I completely understand wanting to slow down their pace from last year but this radio silence is what’s getting to me. I’m usually pretty easy to please in regards to dnp but no live shows, no dapg, no tweets, and no Instagram with zero explanation is kind of insulting after last year’s message of “we care about you as much as you care about us”

I don’t ask for much but a tumblr post, some tweets, or by some miracle a video that explains their thoughts would be nice and show that they appreciate their viewers.

And if they truly aren’t ready to come back or if they are over the YouTube thing save the random video then I’d miss it but it would be easier to accept then just not knowing anything.
^ Yep, very much agree with this. I understand if they wanted to slow down but this silence is just frustrating because we don't even know if there's a reason for it or not. Like, what's happening in their lives right now? What can we expect from them in the foreseeable future? Where the hell is Dan?

I want a liveshow, at least. I don't care if they don't want to do it because there are questions they don't want to answer or whatever because you know what? We deserve answers. At the moment we don't know when the next video will be, when Dan will upload again, when (if) dapg will come back, if liveshows will continue. Hell, we don't even know where Phil is filming his videos. They need to tell us something, even a "we're still trying to figure things out" or "we can't tell you anything yet" would suffice. They dropped dapg which was the only channel that gave us constant content, so now I demand more effort from them. A video once a month will not be enough and I'm getting tired of being constantly on the edge of my seat, waiting for something to happen.
waveydnp wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:51 pm and basically nothing from dan for a whole month after nearly a year of no videos is a big eye roll, especially in light of no dapg. it’s really not that hard to film a video, sorry. he wants to call himself an entertainer, so like... give us something entertaining dude. literally not a single soul is going to complain if he posts a fun, ‘superficial’ video.
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: (but also, a fun superficial video? And RUIN the quality threshold of his channel? :hmmm: #sarcasm)
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

+1 to your long post, @waveydnp

I realised why I was sceptical about the channel memberships - they charge per month, not per video. Which means that DnP have a stable income without providing stable content - so why bother about communicating and content? Eventually, people will get frustrated though. Goodwill and merch discounts only last that long.

(The few patreons that I've supported over the years were always per video, not per month. But YouTube's system doesn't offer that option.)
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Dan's absence has annoyed me quite a lot lately. I think mostly because the longer he waits with posting a damn video the harder things will be for him, and if the response to whatever he drops isn't what he hoped he'll just sulk about it and not post for the foreseeable future again. And I hope that he's at least working on something, but knowing him it's just as likely that he's still just freaking out about wanting better aesthetics and wanting to leave behind some more 'cringe' persona things he doesn't like anymore.

The things he said in the mukbang are all fine and understandable, and he deserved that break just like Phil did, and I know life is hard with mental health issues, but he really drives me crazy sometimes and maybe he needs a kick up the arse from someone who isn't Phil. Last week after the II Watch Party I thought Dan had made his social media comeback, but since then it's been radio silence again aside from two Stories. My friend joked a few weeks ago that maybe he wants go for a full year of absence because it would look nicer or whatever, and at the time I dismissed it because I fully believed he'd upload in January. But also, this is the guy who decides that something is A Tuesday Video for no fucking reason, so now I'll be impressed if he even uploads before March.

I'm tired. I don't even care that much for DINOF anymore, but I just need him to do SOMETHING. :sideeye: It might actually be shame that Top Dan Memes isn't a thing anymore cause it'd be a kinda nice video to ease him into things, but on the other hand I want him to just sit his ass down and explain to people where he was and what the future will hold.

As far as Phil goes, I'm fine with him. He at least put some effort into updating us about a new video coming (even if he started teasing it way too soon, but maybe he just wanted to soothe us) and he did deliver on an upload in the end. I really hope he'll step up his game and upload frequently from now on, especially since he opened up memberships. He can't really say much about liveshows or DAPG as long as Dan is ghosting us I suppose. :shrug:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
CapriciousCrab
sad dimple

Not gonna lie, solo Dan content was never a favorite of mine so I don't really miss it but I know plenty of people are desperate for him to do something. God knows Twitter is full of 'where's dan?' so I'm sure he's seeing it too. Would it kill him to tweet? Does he have a threshold for that too?

I have mixed feeling on the subscription thing but will wait to see how often Phil actually provides content. One a month? Weekly? We'll see.

I think this is why I miss dapg so much. Regular uploads, silly videos to laugh at, and they always let us know what was going on. The lack of communication is a real killer.
liola
rankussy

Someone asked me last night why I have an issue with the membership but I didn't with the subscription on dapg and I didn't know how to explain it until I read some of your posts.

Dapg had a more or less guaranteed bi-weekly posting schedule. It was safe content that we knew we would get. They've been away from their main channels and even before the pause, Phil would post two times a month. There is a difference.

I also would note that one of the YouTubers I follow that used the membership thing just turned it off last night, complaining that the system is just not worth it and he doesn't think it's fair to the audience, and it's someone who posts daily. So.

Dan's absence was worrying me and now I'm just annoyed. He could at least tweet. They could take a pic together. Lord knows their mentions are full of it. I get that the giving people what they want era is over but can they at least blink
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
waveydnp
drama llama

liola wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:08 pm Dan's absence was worrying me and now I'm just annoyed. He could at least tweet. They could take a pic together. Lord knows their mentions are full of it. I get that the giving people what they want era is over but can they at least blink
my questions is... what did they give us that we wanted? the tour? that one video where they did things people tweeted at them?
liola
rankussy

waveydnp wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:15 pm
liola wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:08 pm Dan's absence was worrying me and now I'm just annoyed. He could at least tweet. They could take a pic together. Lord knows their mentions are full of it. I get that the giving people what they want era is over but can they at least blink
my questions is... what did they give us that we wanted? the tour? that one video where they did things people tweeted at them?
Hell If I know. I wanted them to be more relaxed and less persona-y and that has happened. I think their idea of what we wanted was pretty skewed by how many people loudly asked to meet them. If they truly 100%, cared about giving the audience what the audience wants, as a whole and not just the fans willing to drop money on meeting them, then they'll talk to us, go back to some kind of schedule, not kill the one channel that most people enjoyed and guaranteed joint video.

I'd take a rambly, anxiously angry liveshow Dan at this point, If only we had answers

sarty
smol bean

I loved Phil's new video! I love the aesthetic and am admire how he "involved us" in choosing the new look, so as to ease the transition. I also like how he filmed half in the old bedroom and half on the new set.

I'm very proud of Phil for taking time off to recharge. I feel like he has a good sense of balance between his public and personal personas , and I'm glad he is healthy.

Dan's absence is sad for me as I like to see their interactions and I enjoy Dan's solo content as well. I agree with a poster above that the longer he waits, the harder it will be for him to make the "perfect" video up to his standards, but, at the same time, I trust that Dan will do what is right for him. Who knows the toll touring took on him and how he is feeling right now?

Like Phil said in the mukbang video, I just want Dan to be happy. I wouldn't be surprised if the Gaming channel hiatus was his idea, actually (*incoming theory*) so he could be off camera a bit more for a bit. After such a long time with such great exposure, he might be wanting to really pull back a bit. And that is fine. He does not owe us anything. I miss him, and I personally feel a bit sad, but in the end, it is about his health and happiness, not mine. This is coming from someone who cried literal tears when they announced the hiatus of DAPG, so, you know, I totally understand people who are upset and sad and angry and am not dismissing their feelings. I guess that, over time, I've just come to my own opinion that I'd rather Dan be happy and share when he wants to share than to feel obligated to.

I joined the Phil channel and got my cactus--lol--and just got the first community notification. I hope Phil's interactions with us continue. I genuinely enjoy getting content from him.

I hope you are all having a great day/evening!!!

Sarty/Jenny
Life is chaos; be kind. --Michelle McNamara
Ablissa
pastel persona

waveydnp wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:15 pm
I kind of said something similar a few months back. (Hi by the way <3)
I loved the tour, I loved meeting them and I would definitely do it again if I could. I loved the insta stories, they kept me going when the videos started to become less frequent. GTPWTW was fantastic imo, and while of course they could do more, it was still great.
But I always wondered what they think that we want.
II was a better/more entertaining experience than TATINOF in my opinion, but it still wasn't what I truly want from them. I want more videos, less branding and more Dan and Phil, the people. I want joint content where they do what they like. I want domestic things. I want gaming videos, and who knows what's going to happen to that. I'd love for them to be more open with us, like they have been gradually becoming.

It's just that they (especially Dan) tried to hype up II as this ultimate fanservice experience, where they deliver everything we want. Of course, maybe there were people that felt that way, but for a lot of us, it was probably a bit confusing because the tour wasn't that groundbreaking. It was an extension of how they have been changing over the past years, but on its own, it didn't change my view of them in any way, if that makes sense.

Idk, I'm rambling. I loved Phil's video yesterday, and I accept/support his decision to open up membership because hey, it's his job, make that money. But I want to know more about the future and not be left hanging for too long.

So yeah, Dan and Phil, give the people what they want 2k19 edition - SAY WHAT YOU'RE DOING, KTHANKS.
waveydnp
drama llama

@Ablissa yep. you summed it all up perfectly
CapriciousCrab
sad dimple

Ablissa wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:24 pm
It's just that they (especially Dan) tried to hype up II as this ultimate fanservice experience, where they deliver everything we want. Of course, maybe there were people that felt that way, but for a lot of us, it was probably a bit confusing because the tour wasn't that groundbreaking. It was an extension of how they have been changing over the past years, but on its own, it didn't change my view of them in any way, if that makes sense.
Yes, this right here.
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

I have nothing to add, i just want to say that i REALLY agree with your posts! Thanks for putting my thoughts into words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (phil would like this)
:gayaf:
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

Okay it's not just me that sees a ton of boxes in Phils latest Instagram story right? Which flat is it?
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

autumnhearth wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:46 pm Do I have some deep insightful conclusion after presenting all this info? Not really. Dan never really got into a habit of filming on his bed so it seems that his viewers didn’t get attached to it (though many probably had a fondness for the desaturated version of Phil’s being part of his background. I still think there’s some kind of metaphor/symbolism there). It seems like it was a pretty easy choice for him to give up filming in a bedroom when they moved, aesthetics and privacy being the main reasons. But Phil knew his viewers were attached to his bed, just as they were attached to his fringe and I think he did genuinely want to please us, sacrificing his own personal growth. There were attempts to ditch it when he moved out into the world/became an adult. He was no longer a university student filming on the floor, or in that state of limbo living with his parents. So he tried to be a bit more mature (not sure if that is actually the right word here) and have us hang out in his lounge instead, but once he invited us (and all the ‘guests’ he collaborated with, regardless of their gender or relationship status) back into his “boudoir”, it seems he got stuck. So cheers to him finally moving on :ribena:
i feel like its a bit unfortunate that phil felt the need to sacrifice his personal growth (or hide it from us) all these years simply because he thinks he needed to uphold our expectations of him. dan didnt get into as much because hes much more unpredictable. back then he would either fight against our expectations one day, then fulfill it the next day, but no matter what he did or not do, people would get angry with him. i get it tho, its scary not meeting other peoples expectations of you especially when there are many different people with contrasting expectations of you, and you dont know which one to do.

anyways, phil is in his 30s now and im happy for him that hes finally moving on. as for dan, contrary to everyones current feelings towards him, im rather forgiving with his hiatus. hes not entitled to tell us what hes doing everyday, rather i feel like he needed that long break from us. hes had a long history of lashing out at us when he is pushed into a corner, and man, id rather him step away from all that than feel the need to make a q&a tumblr dedicated to- wait hm. he already did that. we dont want a repeat of that. im sure hes growing as a person right now, and part of that growth needed is the quiet to think about his actions.

everyones allowed to feel what they feel tho, im not telling yall to suddenly stop being mad or dissatisfied at him. everyone made good points, and yeah, what DID they give us that we wanted? my thought is the "change in the way they view us and the way they interact with us, and the gradual transition to them becoming more relaxed around us"?....and maybe the tour too. im sure there are more things that "we" wanted, but you cant really expect the two of them to magically cram all of it in 2018 right? 2019 is a fresh year full of opportunities, who knows what well be getting then.

yeah, ill stop now before i start to sound like im white-knighting them (if i already am, sorry, i didnt intend to), i just wanted to share my thoughts
"you are next to me in my life"
liola
rankussy

lilabet wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:12 pm Okay it's not just me that sees a ton of boxes in Phils latest Instagram story right? Which flat is it?
Living flat is the one with the skylight plus wooden floors.. And I was wondering what the shadow was!

lionandllama
squish

CapriciousCrab wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:55 pm
Ablissa wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:24 pm
Yes, this right here.
Agreeing with all of this as well, I watched II for the very first time during the watch party and while I enjoyed it because it was, well, Dan and Phil content, it was still just a stage show. A staged show. Scripted entertainment. I even cringed a bit in the beginning at some parts, I have a problem with second-hand embarrassment and my partner was watching the Blu-Ray with me and that gave me some extra cringe because sometimes they tried to be funny really hard and it was just chuckle-worthy stuff (and only if you actually know and like both of them) so it was difficult for me to get into it.

I liked a lot of bits and pieces of the show but it was just that — a likeable show.
Did they give me what I’ve been wanting for years? Nah. Am I entitled to that? Also nah, of course.
But I would’ve appreciated it if they wouldn’t have hyped it up like that and I’d appreciate it even more if now they wouldn’t pretend like they gave us absolutely everything we ever asked for last year and can therefore just stop putting in any effort.

Right now it feels like they think that by “giving us what we wanted” last year, the transaction is complete and we couldn’t possibly want more.
But... communication? That would be nice. They don’t owe us shit but, like it’s been said before, if there was any truth in “We care about you as much as you care about us”, maybe please live up to that.
They set a standard in 2018 that I feel they suddenly don’t wanna meet anymore. And I 100% understand that that’s frustrating and angers some committed viewers. I’m a bit irritated as well.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

I think I spent a good portion of yesterday on the high of new content, but tbh when I went to rewatch the video in the evening before bed I realized that it's not really a video worthy of many rewatches, imo. I didn't expect anything groundbreaking from it, but I guess I kind of hoped that there would be something to make the wait more worth it for me. And I didn't realize until hours later that youtube's membership doesn't work like patreon and I can't just pitch in a dollar lol. Oh well, at least I can take comfort in the fact that it's just in the nature of this fandom to archive the hell put of everything.

And yeah like others are saying, I want communication. I get that keeping things ~behind the scenes in this sort of job builds intrigue or whatever, but I'm tired of that. It worked for me last year, but when it's been over a month without anything new and Dan appears to be dead, I'm left feeling a little annoyed. I am happy to have some new content, and I do have faith that they both (well, let's be honest, Phil at least) have plans to breathe new air into their channels, and I like that the Phil that came out last year is carrying over onto his channel, but I'm still in need of something more from them. A tweet is not hard to compose. Neither is a tumblr post or a quick instagram story.

And speaking of that, as I'm typing this Phil posted on his story. Great, whatever. But I would love a peep out of Dan. I've been lenient, I think, from my own perspective. I get that it's hard to create, and I actually genuinely get his quality thresholds, and I get that it's hard to be in your head, but it's been a while. And I think that if Dan relaxed with his quality threshold he would benefit a lot more. Letting yourself do things without overthinking them all the time and without worrying if it's the best thing you've ever made yet is healthy, and I think none of us would mind lol.

I agree with @Ablissa about ii being an extension of them (I remember one of the first things I said to my friend when we left the theatre was "that was nice. I definitely didn't learn anything new, nor did I expect to, but that was nice"), which I think from a growth perspective was nice as they relaxed little by little over the last year, but the question of "so where are we going next then?" is definitely left in a lot of our minds. And I think it's about time we get an answer to it, or at least the start of one.

I have faith that they'll eventually get the ball rolling and it'll all work out (maybe that's just me being very rarely optimistic) because I remember being unsure after the last tour of what was to come but they exceeded my expectations. And maybe it feels more uncertain because of the hiatus and Dan's continual absence, plus the lack of communication, but I'm going to hold onto a bit of hope in spite of my annoyance right now. Maybe that's too generous of me.

I'm not the kind of fan who needs canon to be thrown at me all the time. I'm quite happy consuming fan works, and I prefer a transformative fandom space because no fandom will last without it. But I'm also recognizing that this is a job. I think they deserved a break, like everyone who works hard does, but I'm getting antsy. And I want communication.

I'm going to quit while I'm ahead since I'm probably reiterating everything that's been said, but I am loving reading this conversation.

Edit: I also want to say explicitly that I don't think they owe us anything. I don't know if that attitude comes across here. They could stop now, tomorrow, months from now and I wouldn't matter from an owing us, the audience, perspective. But this is a job, and they've taken a deserved break, and I'm anxious for them to start creating again at this point. Maybe that's not fair of me, but that's just how I feel, and I wanted to be more explicit about that particular feeling.
Last edited by obsessivelymoody on Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

lilabet wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:12 pm Okay it's not just me that sees a ton of boxes in Phils latest Instagram story right? Which flat is it?
i just saw the insta, but yeah i do see some boxes on the reflection but i cant figure out which window this is from......but what could the boxes be for? :tinfoil:
"you are next to me in my life"
opendoor
rainbow nerd

Disclaimer: this is just a post about my feelings, yours may be different and that is cool.

I think I can get upset about stuff D&P do, but not angry. Like, I made a post a few weeks back about my sadness over the end of PINOF, and the manner they communicated that news. That upset me but I didn't frame it as "they owe us" in my head, so I definitely wouldn't describe how I felt as angry. I think those are emotions I apply to personal relationships, not fan relationships with online creators. I similarly wouldn't say an upload schedule decision could be rude. (Confession: I just tried to spell 'frame' with a ph, I need to go the fuck to bed).

Rn I'm not even upset, I just kinda want to see where it's all going. That being said we had a new vid literally yesterday so I feel pretty mellow about the whole thing at this moment.

I guess the reasons I'm not upset are:

a) i found the vid yesterday fun, and i'm excited about future content

b) it's Dan and Phil, if I truly needed regular uploads and clear communication I would have picked different youtubers to stan.

c) I love their content but I don't need Loads of it. I definitely don't need daily content or continuous contact, the idea of creators constantly churning out content to the point of burn-out is v unappetising to me.

I reserve the right to complain when I'm video-starved tho, that's just part of the phandom experience.
I miss Dan Howell's stupid face.
manged
lady door

I don't follow D&P as closely as I used to, but even I have started to find myself missing them. I wouldn't care that much if they never uploaded a single video again... but the ig stories and posts that documented bits of their lives were so nice while they lasted. And more than anything, I miss the excitement and discussion they brought to Twitter. But like, everything is so dead now!

So I guess I don't miss the content, but I miss the reactions to their content and gossip fuel their content provided.
://
FlegmaticSimon
drama llama

lesterchuu wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:19 pm
i just saw the insta, but yeah i do see some boxes on the reflection but i cant figure out which window this is from......but what could the boxes be for? :tinfoil:
Wait… Could they be moving? No, that would be a bit strange. But still, it's weird. :shock: