Dan & Phil Part 81: Now what?

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides
Pronouns: she/her

(gif credit: reindeersphan)

As we will soon be going into a brand new (and hopefully exciting) year, all of us from IDB want to say thank you for making 2018 so much fun and full of all the bants. We are very proud of what this forum has become and that is due to all of you.

We hope you have all enjoyed posting and joining in as much as we have, may the bants continue into 2019 when we have new and exciting Deppy projects to get behind.

Finally, thank you once again for supporting us to keep this forum up and running, again we wouldn’t be able to keep this place running if not for the help of our members. We hope you enjoyed the designs that were available this year.

Warning #spon #ad:
Much like last year, this Redbubble store will be up from today through Dec 30.
And this isn't just for us! Just like last year, we're splitting proceeds 50/50 with our faves at Phandom Gives!
Want to help, but don't want to buy anything? We've set up a paypal donation link right here.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Aww I don't know how to rip and embed but Tyler Oakley got an II package from Dan and Phil - they sent him the Introverts jacket! He showed it on his instagram story.
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:38 pm Aww I don't know how to rip and embed but Tyler Oakley got an II package from Dan and Phil - they sent him the Introverts jacket! He showed it on his instagram story.
I've put a copy of Tyler's Instagram story here. For anyone interested, I've transcribed the note Dan and Phil sent to Tyler below.
Hello friend.

Enjoy this snazzy package including the Blu-ray of our new stage show 'Interactive Introverts' produced by the BBC and some thematic treats! The show is good. If you ever wondered what would happen if you let the audience have control and gave them whatever they wanted, you can watch this terrifying social experiment and learn from our suffering. It's got some cool graphic design as well!

We also included an embroidered denim jacket that tells anyone behind you to avoid making conversation if you're having one of those days.

Thanks!

- Dan and Phil
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?
opendoor
rainbow nerd

Cheers @itasca00

"The show is good". Great pitch, guys.
I miss Dan Howell's stupid face.
just
smol bean
Pronouns: idc

i used to lurk here constantly a year or two ago until i stopped watching dnp. then i saw something on instagram about pinof ending & i just have to put in my two cents somewhere, so i’m back.

robotic phil started to fuck w/ me a few months before i stopped watching but i brushed it off. jesus fucking christ. watching pinof 10 was a lil scary. i can’t imagine watching as an outsider; i might think it was a parody. he acts like poppy. after skimming a few of his other videos, pinof wasn’t half bad. he’s creepy. it’s hard to accept that this man i idolized for so many years has lost his personality to greed.

dan is a better actor, but he’s so obnoxious. i used to think about him as a sweet dude w/ a dark self-depreciating sense of humour, but from the outside it’s obvious he’s just a dick. he’s narcissistic & the most entitled person i have come across on the internet. none of this bothered me when i was a fan; i just brushed it off as a part of being in the phandom.

that brings us to phan. i adored phan as an entity so much. it filled me with so much /hope/ for so long. i still read agingphangirl ao3 fics from time to time bc i just love the fantastic characters of Dan and Phil i have created in my mind, and i love the concept of the relationship between these two people. phan is past-due, and it has been for a long time. imo it is not okay for them to have gone so long without confirming or denying the relationship. it is not right. it is not respectful to their queer fans whatsoever. but it’s not profitable to deny it! so they won’t do it. without the speculation of phan, they know their viewers won’t care about them anymore, so why would they do it?

they have blurred the lines between Characters and Human Beings so much the lines have basically vanished. if they want to be characters, they need to do that. or be humans. i don’t care. but it is far past due to make up their minds. they cannot have the best of both worlds. but they get away with it.

they get away with it, and they get away with it and they get away with it because you lot let them. they can do whatever the fuck they want & you will still click because What If? you will click bc a private video from february of 2010 leaked a million years ago & What If this is the one that confirms it? What If he called him ‘Baby’ in this one? they don’t post for months, & when they do it’s tired, lazy content that they don’t care about & you eat it up. they decide out of the blue, hey, fuck the gaming channel & you praise them. because, What If, right? they treat you all like absolute shit. the only series they continued for any amount of time? fuck that shit, if the views aren’t there it’s not worth it.

THIS IS NOT NORMAL. i cannot say it enough. the way you are treated is not normal. if you were dating someone who barely talked to you for months, cancelled on you after they stood you up for dinner & stared at you in that signature creepy way phil has adopted when you hung out together, i hope you would end that relationship. it is time for this fandom to end its relationship with dan and phil, or expect significant changes from them. they have gotten away with this bullshit for way too long.

:gg:
christmas is upon us
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

hello and i hope yall had a wonderful holiday! im just dropping by to remind everyone about our update about our phandom watch fests.

since we basically grew and got harvested from the soils of idb, we wanted to honour what your guys' thoughts are concerning the future of these showings. me and @Ablissa are the ones who organize the showings but ultimately, we are stuck without people's feedback. ive also written down my thoughts and we really appreciate it if people would leave some of their two cents as well.

hope you guys have a good day and may dan and phil bless us with some content soon™ :ribena:

wheres that baking video at dads???????
"you are next to me in my life"
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

All I'm gonna say is everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but queer people don't owe anyone shit about being queer. That doesn't make them bad people or liars or toxic, it's giving them freedom to just live their lives. Policing queer people is cruel. Also, at the end of the day they are entertainers. Maybe not your typical ones because that's the nature of being a youtuber, and one that relies on personality as a main selling point, but still entertainers. You can't compare a personal relationship to a fan-creator relationship. They're not the same thing at all, even if it can feel like you may know them based on what they've given the audience. Also, they're in a position where they're able to take breaks, maybe for personal reasons along with professional, but that doesn't make them inherently bad either. Lots of people take breaks. Hell, breaks are even good, and in this industry they can honestly be for the absolute better in the long run.

But who am I to interact with a troll anyway?
opendoor
rainbow nerd

Yeah I recommend not baiting the troll lol. Obviously it's a pretty gross post for a variety of reasons and I know the temptation but we don't want the next few pages of the thread to be wank.

(Deppy this is your cue to do something soon so we can move swiftly onwards). Uhh I really enjoyed reading people's Top 5 from the gaming channel and their reasons, if anybody still wants to do that?
I miss Dan Howell's stupid face.
starwatersong
phabergé

I thought it was really cool how so many of us had different top 5s for the gaming channel.

I liked how it meant that they were hitting a lot of different people with their content.

It also made me want to go on a rewatch — I saw Tekken with their feet on the same day!
kyaipn
first-time poster
Pronouns: any pronouns

top 5 DAPG vids:

Can Dan and Phil survive Fortnite?!

i remember this video being absolutely full flirty, which when it came out was still felt like quite a shocking thing i think. to a newer extent. it was the first very 2018-feeling dnp vid. also phil trying to find a house for them to build a life together in the entire time was very cute lmao

FAST AND FURRYOUS! - Dan and Phil play: Sonic Mania

i like watching them play actual video games, esp from their childhoods. it was an extremely fun video, and with phil actually controlling a game for once lol. phil pointing out that he remembers the game and dan doesn't bc he was too young; them actually mentioning their age gap is always very intresting to me even tho it's not a particularly big one

Who should we date? Dan and Phil play Heart♡Throb!

dan and phil actively showing attraction and intrest to dating men is Good. also bored games. also making fun of gendered stereotypes for attraction and lack of diversity. pouring one out for bryony

'Stormy Ascent' - THE HARDEST CRASH BANDICOOT LEVEL EVER

ironically i've only ever watched this video once, the day it came out. i'm weird. as i said, i really enjoy watching them play console or proper games as opposed to apps and flash games (which i'm assuming isn't a particularly unpopular opinion?). i think this was the first video upload i was actively participating in the fandom for, which is probably why i remember everyone enjoying it so much. also phil attempting to calm dan down when he started freaking out abt the mask and dan immediately leaning into him

Dan and Phil play CARDS AGAINST HUMANITY!

this was just a hilarious bant-y video and i believe was what started non-electronic games (card & board games) on dapg. phil looks great in black

honourable mentions to: the undertale series, mario kart, keep talking and nobody explodes, charades vids, millionaire vids, not my arms challenge
(=^ェ^=) & ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ save the world
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

Hi @just, thanks for your positive and cheerful contribution. Guess we all have a bit too much time on our hands before school starts again, so how about insulting some people for what they like :ribena: ?

FYI, I give a rather small fuck about phan and about confirmations and baby and lionbabe and blerson. I've never even seen voldy. Yet I'm still here and have so many posts?

I'm here because I enjoy their videos. I like their stupid humour and the way they tell stories. I think they are interesting, inspiring people. And I'm smart enough to know there's a difference between a real person and a persona – observing this is a part of why I find them interesting.

So don't come here and tell us we are stupid sheep falling for a cheap act. Dan and Phil are fascinating and funny people who have been through so much yet never stopped giving the people what they want, and they will continue to have my support.
noodlebum
flower crown

Ah I forgot about stormy ascent, will have to watch that again (so tense)
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

opendoor wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:51 am Cheers @itasca00

"The show is good". Great pitch, guys.
How to sum up a year of hard work? "it's good"
:gayaf:
knq
lava lamp

@just I would like to respond with the following items.

-A robot cannot experience greed.
-I don’t know who Poppy is should I
-Dan has always been obnoxious
-Brushing off flaws because you identify as a fan of something or someone is never a good thing. Be a fan critically if you are to be a fan at all.
-Narcissism is actually one of the 4 or 5 mental health problems Dan identifies as a part of his life story. I don’t see it but he does struggle with perfectionism/self-esteem issues where if he’s not the best at something he sometimes comes to the conclusion he must be the worst and/or absolute shit at it. Personally I think that’s worth discussing as an issue many people experience.
-That is not how having a relationship works, queer or otherwise
-All live-action or voice acted characters are also human beings. These human beings play the characters as a part of their creative careers.
-2010 was 8 going on 9 years ago.
-I can’t identify with the experience you’re describing as a fan only waiting for a relationship to be rejected or accepted by Dan and Phil, but I don’t doubt there are others who feel the same as you. I can see why that would be a frustrating experience and I hope there’s some lesson to be learned in there,
-Lastly, the idea you have that your or ‘our’ collective relationship with Dan and Phil is a personal or reciprocal one where your emotions and investment should be met with emotions and investment of equal intensity is something I wish was discussed more in the phandom. Fans of celebrities often feel that way, there’s nothing strange about that, but it’s important to anchor yourself in the real world with the people who you know and who know you.

I’m surprised their letter to Tyler wasn’t a tad more personal. “Hello friend”? That’s the beginning of a spam email, not a letter with a gift! I do love “it’s good” as a descriptor though.

Hearing everyone’s favorite videos, I want to say I’d love it if they returned to the gaming channel to play Final Fantasy 7. Like, it’s among their favorite games personally, the series didn’t have voice acting at that point but also it’s not as dialogue heavy as Dream Daddy or the like, it’s a game many people love and feel nostalgic for. It would set the structure for a long series and there wouldn’t be any other let’s plays competing for views because who the hell is playing FF7 in 2019? I really think they’re at their best playing older games. It avoids the whole problem Dan has with getting on a bandwagon and being judged for it, and nostalgia always brings about interesting conversation.
kavat
pastel persona

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today. :bedtime:

I really can't choose a top five. It will shift depending on my mood and what I'm looking for. Last autumn I rewatched all of the sims up and till then at least four times. The first gamingmas is also high in my rewatch rotation, especially Millionaires, Katamari and Crossy roads. I also love when they play games like Geoguessr, Google feud and Wikihow because you get to hear their reasoning and discussion of how they come to a decision. And Golf with friends are just top notch bants all the way through.

So, uh. I like almost all of them. Oops.
CapriciousCrab
sad dimple
Pronouns: She/her

Well, there's a post to wake up to. Moving along...

Here are my 5 fav DAPG videos, in no particular order. It was hard choosing just 5 so I kinda cheated a bit :lol:

1. Christmas Shopping Simulator- Phil's inability to figure out the controls, the shitty graphics, and Dan's snort-laugh at the escalator mayhem never fails to make me laugh.

2. The Impossible Quiz series-watching Dan slowly lose his shit as the videos go on amuses. I'm a sick person, what can I say?

3. The Golf series- hours of jokes about balls, holes, and poles plus good competitive fun. I'll miss those caddylads.

4. Gang Beasts- one of my go to videos if I need a smile. Phil is so shit at the game that I can't help laughing and the comic sans captions are hilarious.

5. A tie btwn Phil's Shelter series and Dan's Farfetch'd Quest. It's just nice to see individual gaming sometimes.

I hope the hiatus is a short one. I really love the gaming channel.
snokoplasmic
procrastinator

starwatersong wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:04 am I thought it was really cool how so many of us had different top 5s for the gaming channel.

I liked how it meant that they were hitting a lot of different people with their content.
I noticed this too, and thought it was really cool! If I had to choose only five, I'd say my list is
1. Overcooked 2 (not the livestreams, the one they did on tour) - the bants were just.....unmatched. Nothing can ever compare
2. Bubble Bobble and Katamari - yes I'm grouping two videos together, but they're on the same level of softness and bad-day-rewatchability for me, so they go together. Forver wishing that they did more videos like this
3. Sonic Mania and Stormy Ascent (yes I'm grouping two videos together again) - I loved them playing actual video games, especially ones that they actually like and play on their own time. Sonic Mania was especially good because we got to see Phil playing the whole time, and Dan even refusing a turn, which was a nice switch-up. Stormy Ascent was just...bant central, while also being actual gameplay (and the first real video game we had gotten in a while at that time, if I remember correctly)
4. Charades (the first one) - I remember being so happy when this was uploaded because I desperately wanted them to play charades earlier that year, when Phil had lost his voice. The two of them were so hilarious in this video, especially Phil being my favorite dumbass in the world
5. The Final Google Feud - just....everything about it. Phil's declining stability throughout the video (why do they call it spoons? can you smell blood?), the pizza intermission, it was all just 10/10

And, in no particular order, special shoutouts to:
· Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, which I absolutely loved, but found myself getting too frustrated with when Dan would be giving Phil instructions when he had the manual and should've just been letting Phil tell him what he could see on the bomb instead of going through everything in the manual and wasting time and...sorry, I've thought a lot about this. Loved the series though!
· Mark of Oxin, obviously. Never forget Alex having a threesome with an angel and her boyfriend, as Phil loved to emphasize. The softness and hearing little tidbits about Phil's childhood friends and all that was just so beautiful :cry:
· The last Golf with Friends! Dan's boasting grates on me for most of the series, but the pirate one was so funny and the two of them were obviously having so much fun
· My Horse Prince -- some people absolutely hated it, but I was one of those who found it hilarious and bewildering. I think they made a good decision to cram the last of it into one episode at the end, as it has begun to dry up by then. So 10/10 for weirdly hilarious game that they were obviously into, and for knowing when to stop
· The Best Friend Quizzes from Gamingmas 2016!! They turned two spons into something actually really funny and entertaining, and trust me I'll never forget the two tweets Phil did from Dan's phone
· Anime Bucket of Doom - I don't know how their moods alone catapaulted what would've otherwise been just a fine video to my "best gaming videos ever" list, but they were just so funny and together in the bants. Actually, basically everything from this summer. II gave us some really good (and constant) gaming videos, which is slightly surprising
· Christmas Shopping Simulator 2 - this was the first gaming video upload that I was in the phandom for (actually it was the 7 second challenge montage, which greatly confused me at the time lol but yknow what I mean), and I was screeching laughing the entire time, and I honestly still do when I go rewatch it. I don't know if it's just because they were new to me back then, or if the video really is that funny, but it's on my list anyway
· The Shelter Series! Solo Phil caring for some badgers was the calm yet amusing time of my life, I can't even lie
· The Donkey Kong series. They were a bit awkward and still trying to get the hang of the gaming channel, but that's what makes them so good to me, somehow! Some really funny moments came out of it, and I just feel general fondness and nostalgia when I see them in those videos.

Okay this was way more than 5 videos and waaay too long, but I wrote all this down so I'm not gonna delete it all lol, sorry everyone
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

i feel like if i don't copy & paste that message to 5 other phannies, then robo-phil will appear in my room tonight at 2am and try to sell me merch.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

ratlad wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:52 pm i feel like if i don't copy & paste that message to 5 other phannies, then robo-phil will appear in my room tonight at 2am and try to sell me merch.
It's kinda like Santa, but you leave him cookies and cash.
CapriciousCrab
sad dimple
Pronouns: She/her

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:22 pm
ratlad wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:52 pm i feel like if i don't copy & paste that message to 5 other phannies, then robo-phil will appear in my room tonight at 2am and try to sell me merch.
Well slap my ass and call me Betty Crocker, I'm off to hit the ATM and my local bakery. I'm not missing my visit from Robo-Phil.
itsonlybeth
sofa crease

I just saw on Adrian’s Instagram story that he went to a theatre in London today...I wonder if D&P are back in London as well?
~ fight me you ceramic bitch ~
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

CapriciousCrab wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:00 pm
Well slap my ass and call me Betty Crocker, I'm off to hit the ATM and my local bakery. I'm not missing my visit from Robo-Phil.
whoa move over santa, we hve robo-phil comin to town now
"you are next to me in my life"
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

lesterchuu wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:19 pm
CapriciousCrab wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:00 pm
whoa move over santa, we hve robo-phil comin to town now
I never thought that The War On Christmas would even come for IDB :(
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
autumnhearth
senpai

itsonlybeth wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:30 pm I just saw on Adrian’s Instagram story that he went to a theatre in London today...I wonder if D&P are back in London as well?
I doubt that Phil is. Dan could be, though that doesn’t mean he went with. But speaking of, I saw Adrian’s vegan Christmas feast video pop up in my recommended vids and watched out of cudiousity. He did the whole YouTuber thing if wearing something nice from the waist up (a long sleeve button up) except his baggy gym shorts and legs were frequently in shot. :facepalm2:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I love that they sent John one too.