Dan & Phil Part 82: now onto the future

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Ablissa
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

fancybum wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:19 pm
Why does the word ‘project’ instill immediate fear in me? (Also it could easily refer to projects from their other creators or whatever but STILL).

Is that gaming section of their site new.....? 👀 hmmm
Aaah this is so interesting. Could deppy be in any way involved in this?
From the gaming section:
2019 will see the launch of Above's gaming organisation and community. We will be hosting friendly competitive events across the UK, with the aim of making live competitive gaming more approachable, accessible and fun for a wider audience.
Okay, the biggest change is that they are now showcasing Dan and Phil as two separate creators... it used to be just Dan and Phil on one page... I'm a bit scared. https://www.abovetf.com/talent

From Dan's page:
In 2016 and 2018, alongside his good friend Phil Lester, he also produced and starred in two global tours ‘The Amazing Tour Is Not On Fire’ and ‘Interactive Introverts’
From Phil's:
Alongside his friend and long-time collaborator, Daniel Howell, Phil rose to prominence as a BBC Radio 1 DJ, New York Times and Sunday Times best-selling author, TV presenter and YouTube personality
:snow:

Edit: it's also interesting how Phil's page focuses more on his youtube stuff and mentions the gaming channel, Dan's doesn't. And the "for enquires" person is different for for both of them - Fleur for Dan, Mike for Phil.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

After looking at how sparse that talent page actually is, I'm pretty sure they split Dan and Phil just to make it look like they actually have more people. I wouldn't be scared by that.

I also wouldn't be scared by them having different people handle them. We know Marianne was the talent manager and they don't seem to have replaced her, just had other people absorb her work. The fact that it is taking two people to do that makes sense to me.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I wouldn’t be so sure, they might be planning on being more solo from now on and if so then having it out there where only the more interested will see it could be the start of the breadcrumbs (Brighton ii aside).

Interesting that they’re focusing on competitive gaming events since Dan got an insight to more pressured, less accessible ones with the Supergamers.
Ablissa
pastel persona

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:32 pm After looking at how sparse that talent page actually is, I'm pretty sure they split Dan and Phil just to make it look like they actually have more people. I wouldn't be scared by that.

I also wouldn't be scared by them having different people handle them. We know Marianne was the talent manager and they don't seem to have replaced her, just had other people absorb her work. The fact that it is taking two people to do that makes sense to me.
You make a good point. I do wonder though, because yeah, the page looks sparse as heck and it would look sparse even with d&p being one joint entity (as they were before). And separating them sends a message (which admittedly not that many people will see) that solidifies what their audience is already currently scared of, so I'm not sure if they would do it without there being some reason behind it. I'm just speculating here.

I'm not trying to start a panic here by the way, just curious to hear what other people think.
I do think we will get joint content sometimes, but as a person that is definitely here for DanAndPhil more so than for Dan. And. Phil the Separate YouTube friends, I'd like to know what is coming.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Ablissa wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:44 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:32 pm After looking at how sparse that talent page actually is, I'm pretty sure they split Dan and Phil just to make it look like they actually have more people. I wouldn't be scared by that.

You make a good point. I do wonder though, because yeah, the page looks sparse as heck and it would look sparse even with d&p being one joint entity (as they were before). And separating them sends a message (which admittedly not that many people will see) that solidifies what their audience is already currently scared of, so I'm not sure if they would do it without there being some reason behind it. I'm just speculating here.

I'm not trying to start a panic here by the way, just curious to hear what other people think.
I do think we will get joint content sometimes, but as a person that is definitely here for DanAndPhil more so than for Dan. And. Phil the Separate YouTube friends, I'd like to know what is coming.
I don't think ATF cares how the audience feels right now. I think Dan and Phil and any managers paying attention are very aware that their audience tends to run hot emotionally and then be quickly appeased once something new happens. I also don't think they're going to consider the audience to be taking cues from their website; their website is geared more at brands and brand deals than fans. What ATF wants to project is hey, we are a company with DEFINITELY MORE THAN THREE TALENT OPTIONS, look at all of these individual impressive statistics, please give us your many now.

My thought really is just a quiet plea for people not to panic. Partly that's just me being burnt out on this fandom being nothing but panic right now, even though nothing is really happening that we didn't know was going to happen (meaning: Dan and Phil not posting gaming videos) but also a genuine belief that a company trying to sustain itself in its first year of business making presentation changes isn't something to panic about.
Ablissa
pastel persona

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:47 pm

I don't think ATF cares how the audience feels right now. I think Dan and Phil and any managers paying attention are very aware that their audience tends to run hot emotionally and then be quickly appeased once something new happens. I also don't think they're going to consider the audience to be taking cues from their website; their website is geared more at brands and brand deals than fans. What ATF wants to project is hey, we are a company with DEFINITELY MORE THAN THREE TALENT OPTIONS, look at all of these individual impressive statistics, please give us your many now.

My thought really is just a quiet plea for people not to panic. Partly that's just me being burnt out on this fandom being nothing but panic right now, even though nothing is really happening that we didn't know was going to happen (meaning: Dan and Phil not posting gaming videos) but also a genuine belief that a company trying to sustain itself in its first year of business making presentation changes isn't something to panic about.
I think the problem is that in the previous years, we usually had an idea of what's in store for the next few months - we either had tours or in 2017 we had no announcements of anything being on hiatus, so it seemed easier to endure. With no new content and nothing to look forward to (other than Phil's video today, which I'm super excited for at this point), we're all grasping for straws here.

I'm still firmly on team 'they won't drop their joint branding', nothing's changed for me there, but I found the ATF 'rebrand' interesting and wanted to hear what other people might think.

I really don't want to make anyone panic here, sorry if I caused that. :( If someone is feeling anxious over my posts, just read what dizzy said and listen to her, because I was just speculating and didn't want to scare anyone.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Ablissa wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:03 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:47 pm

I think the problem is that in the previous years, we usually had an idea of what's in store for the next few months - we either had tours or in 2017 we had no announcements of anything being on hiatus, so it seemed easier to endure. With no new content and nothing to look forward to (other than Phil's video today, which I'm super excited for at this point), we're all grasping for straws here.

I'm still firmly on team 'they won't drop their joint branding', nothing's changed for me there, but I found the ATF 'rebrand' interesting and wanted to hear what other people might think.

I really don't want to make anyone panic here, sorry if I caused that. :( If someone is feeling anxious over my posts, just read what dizzy said and listen to her, because I was just speculating and didn't want to scare anyone.
I don't think you caused any panic! I didn't mean to make it sound like that was pointed at you. I just think every new thing that happens right now is going to be slotted into a 'Is This Bad?' category based on people not liking the unknown factor, when the truth is just way more complex than that. Not everything unknown is bad or scary.

And you're right that the problem is the unknown but it's not like a buildable issue, and people are making it into that. Being scared about not knowing when they're posting next doesn't automatically make a management change Mean Something. People really, really want to find clues to the gaming channel disappearance, and attribute a reason to it, but we just don't have the whole story and won't until Dan and Phil come back. I don't think there is an answer for us to uncover and playing connect the dots with various details often leads to nowhere.
liola
rankussy

I'm gonna set aside Negative Me and be Professional Marketing Manager Me (hi, yes, i'm not just a fandom waffler).

To me, it never really made sense that they were listed together, but I always attributed that to them joining the management company with a collaboration project, which would make any manager that would want to sell them to brands a more appealing investment: more views, a shared audience that would switch between the two, joint projects (mentioning the Radio show at BBC). It was also with Flipside, which was the child company of a much larger Group, which means the company had the budget to attract brands with more ease but also meant that Dan and Phil needed their joint forces to compete for the attention of that budget.

Like @alittledizzy said, this is not the case anymore. They are basically a startup whose major investment in terms of energy and time was always on DanAndPhil, and with the tour in the middle of it, they knew they would have the audience and the brand sponsoring DanAndPhil to fund a lot of the expenses. What are DanAndPhil bringing to the table now? A lot, sure, but that doesn't mean it's a good look for the agency.

Besides that, I do think Dan and Phil themselves want to focus on themselves separately, which I think is more of a creative thing than a monetary decision. And let's be honest, while it's true that the joint content brings in more views, with the state of AdSense but more so the competitive market that youtube has become, joint vs solo doesn't really matter that much anymore. They still share an audience, it just will shift in between the channels- given Dan brings his back.

I think the more interesting thing about all of this is the clear focus on anything unrelated from youtube in Dan's page. I think he still has things to say, and he still somewhat wants to use the platform, but Dan has stopped wanting to be a youtuber, and that is something that they have to take into consideration.
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

liola wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:11 pmI think the more interesting thing about all of this is the clear focus on anything unrelated from youtube in Dan's page. I think he still has things to say, and he still somewhat wants to use the platform, but Dan has stopped wanting to be a youtuber, and that is something that they have to take into consideration.
I love your post but I also don't think that we can definitively say that Dan has stopped wanting to be a youtuber. I might believe that when we see actual projects from him that aren't youtube but at the moment I am in a state of neutrality on my opinion of his attitude toward the platform. He's not really showing us what else besides a youtuber he wants to be and the only statements we've heard from him is that he has ideas for videos and his tumblr statement a couple months ago about not going anywhere.

(To be clear though I don't mind if Dan does want to do other things. I'm just... not at the place of wanting to assume that's a factor since we've not seen anything to really point toward it.)
Amiaw
interactive introvert

The only demon thought I’ve allowed myself to have and nurture with all of this change is that maybe they are separating their careers to have a healthier relationship with themselves and each other. If they want to take their relationship further publicly then having separate paths is a good thing (unless they really are just good friends and long time collaborates) but the other side of me is upset that dan and Phil aren’t telling us what’s happening.

I’m taking the removal of dapg as a sign that gaming is dead so struggling to be positive rn but that’s the one positive thought I’m trying to hold on to
liola
rankussy

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:16 pm
liola wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:11 pmI think the more interesting thing about all of this is the clear focus on anything unrelated from youtube in Dan's page. I think he still has things to say, and he still somewhat wants to use the platform, but Dan has stopped wanting to be a youtuber, and that is something that they have to take into consideration.
I love your post but I also don't think that we can definitively say that Dan has stopped wanting to be a youtuber. I might believe that when we see actual projects from him that aren't youtube but at the moment I am in a state of neutrality on my opinion of his attitude toward the platform. He's not really showing us what else besides a youtuber he wants to be and the only statements we've heard from him is that he has ideas for videos and his tumblr statement a couple months ago about not going anywhere.

(To be clear though I don't mind if Dan does want to do other things. I'm just... not at the place of wanting to assume that's a factor since we've not seen anything to really point toward it.)
No you're right, we can't say that for sure! I forgot to mention that I'm just saying that going off what he's said on the past about his state on YouTube, aka that he doesn't want to be Just A Youtuber, he wants to be more of an Entertainer - that's what I meant more than anything really, didn't really want to speak in absolutes.

I still wish for more communication though, I really don
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
hello9217
flower crown

I took it more as if dan wants to do more public talks and/or presenting work then it looks better to say that you've been on two tours. Plus if this is a goal to market to brands, his last solo video is from 11 months ago and the last sponsored deal dan did on his channel was tinder- and look how that turned out. Phil does focus on the youtube side of it more. It would also be weird to have the same descriptions for two separate clients, who are two very different people.
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

“His friend and long time collaborator” sounds so harsh 😂

I’m not surprised about ATF separating their bits, as I said at the time of II Dan alluded that they would do more solo stuff this year, people panicked; he panicked; they changed the wording for the other shows. Maybe we should all be thinking yay double content, 2 for the price of 1? Dan will have something up his sleeve even if it isn’t a YouTube video! Have faith guys.
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Ya know... this breakout highlighting their different focuses made me really think about the Dan/YouTube relationship. Like... call me crazy, but has Dan ever really loved making YouTube videos?

Thinking back to his start.. He liked the community. He liked watching videos and bonding with the people who made them, but I don't know if the act of actually scripting/planning/filming one was ever something he especially loved. After all, his first video happened because he wanted to try out this thing his favorite community did and he was encouraged by Phil to do so. At his peak, he was making videos that ultimately were written with some kind of community-bonding in mind: relatability/tumblr gifs/etc.

I'm not saying Dan doesn't or hasn't ever loved the act of making a video, I just think it's just not quite his cup of tea as much as it is Phil's.

A lot of YouTubers talk about starting their channels and posting for the first few years with nothing in mind but the fun of making the video. We all know Phil would say that in a heartbeat also, but would Dan?

I feel like this could explain the ATF updates and Dan just accepting that he likes more of the community/speaking/etc parts of his job more than the video-making part.

I could be totally wrong and my mind could just be focusing in on these little bits and pieces, so I'd love to hear other folks' thoughts. Maybe I'm just off my rocker.
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

the stickers look so cute
:gayaf:
snokoplasmic
procrastinator

Oh, those are the fox and cactus stickers that he had on his laptop in the last video!
hello9217
flower crown

dan also has a us shop now and isg mug is available if anyone is interested. can't believe they separated the shops :(
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I make jokes about Dan always wanting recognition from people (usually men cause let's be real here that's why he was F*l*x's lapdog for so long) he admires, but like... it's true.

It's why he started YouTube, because he wanted to belong to a group of people who he thought were the epitome of cool. And now YouTube isn't giving him that kind of recognition anymore, because the group from back then no longer exists, they barely seem to be in contact with any YouTubers at all, current relevant YouTubers have surpassed them, and YouTube in general has gone from Dumb Video Website Where Losers Who Spend Too Much Time Inside Fiddling With Editing Software Become Famous to 10 Year Old Kids Watch The Kind Of People Who Bullied You In High School Make Slime.

So imo when Dan says he sees himself ~as an artist and not a YouTuber~ he just means that he's looking for other ways to get the recognition he wants, because YouTube ain't cutting it anymore (even after he realized that not all his fans are teenage girls) and that doesn't motivate him.

This post might make it seem like I think Dan is a terrible attention whore... I swear that's only partially true lol :lol:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
vacule
squish

So is Dan going to be a life coach, stand-up comedian, mental health ambassador, or all of the above? I am hyped for my man to have a career change.

Nice to see that Phil is still very much happy to stay on YouTube. I don't think much is changing with Phil at all, we'll be back to our regular programming of Phil Tries Weird Things and Phil's Weird Encounters with Weird People.
idk
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

rizzo wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:23 pm Ya know... this breakout highlighting their different focuses made me really think about the Dan/YouTube relationship. Like... call me crazy, but has Dan ever really loved making YouTube videos?

I'm not saying Dan doesn't or hasn't ever loved the act of making a video, I just think it's just not quite his cup of tea as much as it is Phil's.
I think love is a tricky word but I generally agree. I think he’s had such a tricky and tumultuous relationship with youtube over the years but I think, imo, it would be fair to say that he doesn't /love/ it like others do or that he sees it in the same light/way that others do ie. Phil.

When I think about Dan's relationship with youtube tbh mostly what comes to mind is all the agonising and ~suffering related to it all. But I do think there has been some benefits/love in it for him in some senses to some capacity. But, yeah, I wouldn't say he loves it overwhelmingly or completely, it's too marred by ~negative things for him imo (the process, the audience etc. (to name only a few things)).

Whenever I think about their careers and youtube and the future, I can see it for Phil, I can’t see it for Dan. And I’m thinking beyond even just 1 year, this year.

I can see Dan still making a few videos I think he needs to make for himself. Doing them as a form of catharsis if you will. I think his depression video would have been an exercise in catharsis for him and I think we have more of that to see. He speaks so fondly and with pride whenever he talks about that video and I think that's the stuff he loves (which is the subject and the fact that he can and does talk about it - not actually that it's a youtube video if you get me?) but I don't think he needs youtube to continue talking about that kind of stuff/continue down that path - he's done his talks at events and he's done those campaigns etc.

So, I think the stuff that he does love about youtube isn't actually about/related to youtube at all but what he uses youtube for ie. a vessel to Say Things and create things. I think the things he does love about video making etc aren't stuff he needs youtube for. He can continue to talk about these subjects, things etc off youtube, he can continue to create and have control over video stuff etc off youtube. And I think that's where he's going/where he's going to end up imo.

I definitely think Dan’s future is in the entertainment industry in some capacity, but I don’t think it’ll be on youtube. I think whilst Dan currently does still have some youtube left in him, it’s not his future in the long term. But for the short term whilst things are still settling down and being discussed and thought through I do think there’s still more to come from him on youtube. Definitely this year. Beyond that? I think his future is off youtube. But it will take a while to get there.
rizzo wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:23 pm I feel like this could explain the ATF updates and Dan just accepting that he likes more of the community/speaking/etc parts of his job more than the video-making part.
I think community stuff/speaking stuff is definitely more up his alley. I'd love to see more tbh.

I also think perhaps there’s a chance he’ll also do more behind the camera stuff off youtube at some point down the line? He’s talked a bit about his interest in producing/directing iirc. Phil talked about the tatinof trailer being Dan's 'baby' etc. and Dan talked about how much he loved it and loved doing the directing stuff for it. Also he's mentioned interest in directing/producing generally. He talked about having an interest in doing more documentaries after his Supergamers one but with having more control over camera stuff and general direction etc.

I mean I’ll outrightly say I do personally think joint branding being their /MAIN/ appeal is over. Not that joint content is over, not at all. But I do think it’ll become an as and when kind of thing. When the occasion calls for it, when they want to etc.

I think that Dan being Dan and Dan being the way Dan is joint content/branding being their MAIN appeal wasn’t going to last forever. I think their long term /career/ goals and interests etc separate at some point down the line and that’s cool and exciting imo. And I think Dan likes solo stuff. He likes paving his own way imo.

And for what it’s worth, I think all of this is a strictly career thing and has no bearing on their personal lives/relationship whatsoever.

But yk it’s all speculation and conjecture on my behalf. I make a lot of assumptions about who I think Dan and Phil are, what they want etc. All we really can do is continue to wait.

/readyforphil'svideonow
knq
lava lamp

I finally understand why someone would purchase a beanie that just says UGH on it. Being a dnp fan in 2019 is making me go ugh. :snow:
glitterintheair
phillluminati

So Dan's newsletter said to look forward for new merch coming soon and "who knows, maybe even a VIDEO".
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
vacule
squish

glitterintheair wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:31 pm So Dan's newsletter said to look forward for new merch coming soon and "who knows, maybe even a VIDEO".
love how he continues to edge us even though we all know it ain't gonna happen!! your kink is not my kink Daniel!
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I do hope Dan realizes that no other place is gonna give him as much freedom and time to be whiny as YouTube tbh. And that he's not gonna be able to react to criticism from superior the way he reacts to us by being passive aggressive in liveshows. Like all that stuff about the TATINOF trailer (I always feel quilty about not liking it but I just really don't) and taking ages to edit what was essentially a pretty simple trailer for II...

We discussed Dan going back to school a while ago, if he's serious about going the creative behind-the-scenes route he might need to do that first. I still cringe remembering Dan criticizing Supergamers for the walking thing (which yeah, wasn't great but the I Can Do Better implication was nagl) and education is the only things that will hopefully humble him a bit.

(I swear I'm not a Dan anti. Just a mildly annoyed person who is realizing... things.)

Phil plz I'M HUNRY.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Ablissa
pastel persona

The thing that baffles me the most in all of this is them separating their shops. It makes zero sense for the customers, because a lot of us are not from the UK and have to pay expensive shipping. With three shops, I am much less likely to buy more than one specific thing because I'm not able to pay shipping x3.

Is there a business reason for them doing that? Taxes? idk. I really don't understand.

Also, can't wait for Phil's video!!