Dan & Phil Part 82: now onto the future

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
vacule
squish

Catallena wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:35 pm I do hope Dan realizes that no other place is gonna give him as much freedom and time to be whiny as YouTube tbh. And that he's not gonna be able to react to criticism from superior the way he reacts to us by being passive aggressive in liveshows. Like all that stuff about the TATINOF trailer (I always feel quilty about not liking it but I just really don't) and taking ages to edit what was essentially a pretty simple trailer for II...

We discussed Dan going back to school a while ago, if he's serious about going the creative behind-the-scenes route he might need to do that first. I still cringe remembering Dan criticizing Supergamers for the walking thing (which yeah, wasn't great but the I Can Do Better implication was nagl) and education is the only things that will hopefully humble him a bit.

(I swear I'm not a Dan anti. Just a mildly annoyed person who is realizing... things.)

Phil plz I'M HUNRY.
I agree with you. From what I remember of TATINOF times (I've not really kept up since then), I thought Dan had a lot of work to do to learn how to not take constructive criticism as a personal attack, and actually grow from it and apply it to his work. You're absolutely right, YouTube is where he can truly be autonomous (whether he feels like it or not) and no other media is going to give him nearly as much freedom to do what he wants, when he wants, how he wants... (I'm actually surprised the BBC Radio Show was so accommodating.)

From my comfy armchair I think Dan seems to really struggle with structure, deadlines, and other people's expectations of him, and he takes all of that pressure on incredibly personally. Whilst I am a huge nerd and love when people go back to university, I'm not convinced this is the right path for Dan if he continues to struggle with structured learning.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop
Pronouns: she/her

I am also baffled by the decision to separate shops. I thought them staying combined after the holidays might lead to a permanent condition... and I want it as someone that enjoys their joint branding but also as someone who like, purchases things on the internet that are then shipped to me.

Also why do I feel a sense of anxiety and disbelief when Dan says he *may* upload a video in a merch email.
autumnhearth
senpai

I think the seperation of their talent pages makes perfect sense for future opportunities (speaking on panels, ambassadorships, hosting documentaries, etc.) but separate shops do not. I wish to speak to Martyn.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

plinthofmylife wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:56 pm I am also baffled by the decision to separate shops. I thought them staying combined after the holidays might lead to a permanent condition... and I want it as someone that enjoys their joint branding but also as someone who like, purchases things on the internet that are then shipped to me.

Also why do I feel a sense of anxiety and disbelief when Dan says he *may* upload a video in a merch email.
This is my main concern- did they just forget about their casual viewers? How are people going to know that we might possibly someday get another video from dan if they aren’t buying merch/subscribed to his merch emails.
Dan and Phil are free to make changes but their communication has went from bad to somewhat improved last year to downright terrible now.
I know I sound whiny and that we should all have empathy for the pressure they are under and that we can’t possibly know their future plans that they refuse to share but tbh it’s wearing thin.
PolarFox
truth bomb

I have the same issues as Dan when it comes to schedules and procrastination... and probably the bit with constructive criticism as well. He could very well go back to school, however he would have to look very well for a program that would allow for his personality and needs. Dunno how unis work in the UK, but he could do it if it was what he wanted to. However, just like with my case, it requires lots of effort and reading and studying some things you doubt will be useful to you and that’s probably where Dan would not be happy once again.
I have sort of given up on Dan’s channel, where are the times of Haru pillow :haru:
I miss them and I can’t wait until Phil finally uploads, I guess I’m a Phillie now that Dan has abandoned his channel :sadgarbage:
Also I was very much considering getting some merch after christmas when I was reminded how cozy my deppy christmas jumper is... but I couldn’t make my mind and now I’m deffo not paying £10 for shipping on each merch site. The ISG cup looks cool and cool from Dan to tease a video, but I’m just sort of tired of the leading on. And like, I was mainly invested in dapg, as that was also how I found them back in 2015, but that seems to be over now so who knows anymore :snow:
Awww! You clicked on my signature!
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

Ablissa wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:44 pm
I'm not trying to start a panic here by the way, just curious to hear what other people think.
I do think we will get joint content sometimes, but as a person that is definitely here for DanAndPhil more so than for Dan. And. Phil the Separate YouTube friends, I'd like to know what is coming.
See, this is my concern as well. Or one of them at least, as the content hiatus and communication drought drags on my concerns seem to multiply. Anyhow, my primary concern, content wise, is that we'll see less and less joint content. This had not even crossed my mind as a possibiilty in December. I assumed they'd take January to sort things out, and then return with their individual channels, liveshows (joint or separate) and a gaming channel rebranded as a joint content channel (sometimes gaming, sometimes other things). Now that we're into February and still getting nothing but radio silence, I'm starting to worry.

From a financial perspective, it would make sense for them to pursue other creative endeavors, but not at the expense of what's driving their current revenue stream (i.e. joint content). Their 2019 actions (or lack thereof) don't seem wise. They aren't earning any money, and I don't know how long fans are going to wait around for content.

Sorry if that seemed negative. I'm just starved for content and starting to worry that things won't improve.
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell
Ablissa
pastel persona

obscureDnPreference
procrastinator
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Ablissa wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:00 pm
Gotta say, really liked the handwriting part. Nice appearance from deep voice Phil.

(Also hi. It's been a hot minute since I've posted here, though I've kept up with idb)
"This is not children's television. I'm 26, I'm depressed, and I need edgy jokes to cope with my anxiety."
Daniel Howell, 10/30/17
snokoplasmic
procrastinator

This felt like such a classic AmazingPhil video, I am pleased
hello9217
flower crown

Can't believe he didn't get the gay birthday message. Also big spending energy.... looooollllll :rofl:
Philena
blobfish

Aww, I really loved that video! I laughed a lot, and I adored his handwriting analyst. Too cute!! :love2:

Eta: It did NOT show up for me in my subscription box again :tsk: I could only reach it through clicking on his tweet.
Last edited by Philena on Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

A pretty solid Phil video imo. It definitely had that typical amazingphil style to it but with the shift Phil has made over the last year, which I'm still loving to see carried over. I loved the gay birthday and male model bits lol. So, so Phil tbh. He totally should have paid for the model for the try new things shirt, that would have been hilarious. Also, I got four ads during this video, which seemed excessive for the length, but this is capita£ester we're talking about so... (and lol at 'big spending energy')

I can't say I'm a huge fan of his end screen, much like Dan's when he rebranded, I kind of thought it would be temporary but I'm thinking maybe not now. Ah well.

Also, on the topic of me wearing my tinfoil hat with pride, I love that we've still got a tight ass angle for his filming space, and that Phil filmed that mirror bit at the end in the living flat. Keep fuelling the moving theory guys. I'm living for it :foreverhome:
scientia
phabergé

Really enjoyed that, I was smiling the whole way through
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

He's really just out there making sure that he mentions dicks or gayness or shirtless guys at least 3 times per video these days, isn't he?

Liked the video. Classic AP video.
FlegmaticSimon
drama llama

I loved that video! I couldn't stop laughing at the dog. :D I liked it when Phil repeated affirmations in front of the mirror too. It was worth refreshing the page for an hour!
bifaeri
tol bean

Aww that was really cute and I’m having the longest day but this has made me happy.
So yes Mr AmazingPhil, you really are the best.

Edit (concerning the four ads mentioned above): I only got two two ads which seems to be somewhat usual for a ten minute video so idk.
Last edited by bifaeri on Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlegmaticSimon
drama llama

plinthofmylife wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:17 pm He's really just out there making sure that he mentions dicks or gayness or shirtless guys at least 3 times per video these days, isn't he?
How did they put it again? Post baking video universe? :D I feel like he's a bit overdoing it though. We get it, you're more mature, Phil. No need to emphasize it that much. ;)
liola
rankussy

That was A very Phil video and I am comforted by it. I love him and the way he can makes me feel a bit better and I just really like the energy he's putting out
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
PolarFox
truth bomb

obsessivelymoody wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:17 pm Also, I got four ads during this video, which seemed excessive for the length, but this is capita£ester we're talking about so...
Did it just get demonetized, because I got zero adds on this while watching it now. :hmmm:

Anyway, that was a fun video, I feel well fed :woohoo:
Awww! You clicked on my signature!
Philena
blobfish

I actually got 5 ads on the video!!
autumnhearth
senpai

I’m glad he went with multiple services. Too bad he didn’t choose the gay birthday wish or have the guy model his merch. The foam and singing dog were lame, but the face and hand writing were kinda interesting and definitely entertaining. And they did kinda agree, big spending energy and operating out of his libido :lol: aka instant gratification.

I think he actually can be the life of the party like in coming up with games for people to play (Weakest Link at New Years with their friends, 7 Second Challenge, Truth Bombs and all the games from the BRITS and radio show) it’s just not quite in the way he was picturing party.

Phil is a cool guy and is the BEST. However it would be nice if we got some that pigment in Phil’s face in his videos. Also that’s not the sound a woodpecker makes. That shibe video he sped so much money is going to be his new outro for the foreseeable future isn’t it?
Last edited by autumnhearth on Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ablissa
pastel persona

It was a nice, typically Phil video with some hints of new Phil. I don't have too many thoughts on it, it was just nice to see him and hear him talk :) I hope he gets a decent amount of views and films the next one soon.

A few not very video-related thoughts:
1) this camera angle somehow... doesn't work for me? It's like a little bit above him and makes his head look big while his shoulders look small. Is it just me?
2) our Moving Theory is thriving right now. The bathroom being in the living flat + him using one of those soundproofing tiles from the gaming room to write on just tells me that the filming flat is being packed up and shipped to the Forever Home and I'm waiting (im)patiently for that. <3
3) not digging the end screen, it's too much like Phil from a few years ago, and this is coming from a dog lover.
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

I liked it!

I had a weird feeling at the beginning but O got quickly into the video.

I laughed like never before during the dog birthday message bit! I loved it so much!

I love the person doing the handwriting thing, the analysis was hilarious and i'm sure the rest is just as uplifting!

So yeah it was nice !

edit :
Ablissa wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:29 pm 2) our Moving Theory is thriving right now. The bathroom being in the living flat + him using one of those soundproofing tiles from the gaming room to write on just tells me that the filming flat is being packed up and shipped to the Forever Home and I'm waiting (im)patiently for that. <3
YES THIS! Yes, they're moving. I mean...
Last edited by Ataraxia25 on Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:gayaf:
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

Matcha_Ramune wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:20 pm I feel like he's a bit overdoing it though. We get it, you're more mature, Phil. No need to emphasize it that much. ;)
I think he's just so excited to appreciate the male form on his channel and he's lost his outlet with the DAPG hiatus.
snokoplasmic
procrastinator

I got zero ads both times I watched the video 🤔
Also I just wanna say that Phil really appreciating the handwriting response was so incredibly cute