Dan & Phil Part 82: now onto the future

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

knq wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:59 am I've noticed with tumblr the 'dan and phil' tag and the 'phan' tag both have an anti-phan blog and a drama blog which post pretty regularly. When there's new content in the phandom they get drowned out, but when there's not much new for people to talk about, scrolling through either tag is just one anti-phan/drama post after another. It's exhausting. I've given up on it for the hiatus and now just have a few individual phandom blogs open in tabs.
I'm trying to put feelers out for other fandoms to hang out in while joint content is on an indefinite hiatus. I'm not much for kpop and that seems to be the major fandom right now. Sometime during my phandom obsession the Marvel fandom became the Tony Stark fandom and there's no Stucky to go back to. Inception died long ago though I still yearn for Arthur/Eames, and the heyday of Sherlock BBC has passed. Voltron was popular like, a year ago, but I never got to watch it, so I might try that out. If anyone has fandom suggestions hit me up.
I wonder what those "like 12" fandoms Dan says he's a part of are. Guild Wars, definitely. Pokemon? Does he like any other fandom related posts on tumblr/instagram? He should send his fans over to a few Dan-approved fandoms during the hiatus, like how presidential candidates send their voters over to the next best politician when they drop out of a race.
I hate those anti-phan/drama blogs with a burning passion. They really appeal to the sketchiest type of person who just wants to use anon to shit stir, since they'll publish anything with zero dignity about it. It's even worse when they try to claim that skepticism is a stance of moral or intellectual superiority.

I don't have much advice for other fandoms. I've actually found the fic (and art!) output to be soaring and the creativity of both the fic and art really at a peak since people in phandom have a bit more time to be thoughtful and inventive with what they do, as opposed to just a nonstop cycle of purely reactive works being published as quick as possible after a joint event. I've got so much fic lined up to read now that I've fallen almost a month behind, which weirdly enough I cannot remember happening at all last year before around late December.

I'd say Dan counts Star Wars as one of his fandoms, for sure.
Ablissa
pastel persona

Amiaw wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:44 am
I’m starting to really think that dapg is gone and that instead of working up to a new video dan is working up the nerve to tell us he’s over YouTube. I think back to when Dan said he avoids conflict and his recent behavior of living on twitter but not tweeting and just ignoring his fan base by leaving us on read isn’t giving me any assurances.
I'm actually 100% sure that Dan is coming back to YouTube. Well, okay, 100% might be a stretch but... 99%. The things he's said - himself and when prompted - don't show a person that is about to quit. Changing the background cough moving cough , his tumblr post from the ask dnp thing and a few more imply that he wants to come back. I'm sure YouTube is no longer his priority, but he's not quitting.
I'm sold on the "will upload on the anniversary of TTLMT" theory. It's like Dan to do something like that. Or he'll upload once they've moved, if that's what they're doing.
I also believe a joint channel will return, but not necessarily strictly games.

@knq, the fandoms I'm seeing frequently on my dash atm are Skam Italia (and France to a lesser degree), B99, obviously loads of kpop, some Marvel but not so much, Queen/BoRhap.
I do miss stucky, and I also want some more Inception and Arthur/Eames. Thanks for reminding me :lol:
Anyway is it just me or does it feel like there are less active fandoms these days?

Personally my other fandom right now, other than some really niche ones, is Supernatural, but I've been a fan for several years. It's nowhere near as active as it used to be though, because Destiel is a lost cause (which I still love, and there's good fanfiction).

I kill time during the hiatus with phandom fan works, either writing or reading fic. I also re-watch dnp videos, and then we have the watch fests.
I watch all sorts of different youtubers just for background noise and a mindless activity. And I play Pokémon and WoW as a distraction haha.

I hope they come back soon, I don't want to lose more people to kpop :lol:
autumnhearth
senpai

@knq block those Tumblrs honestly. I kept them around for too long out of morbid curiosity but decided enough was enough sometime at the end of last year. The tags may feel more quiet but they are much more pleasant.

I’ve only seen small smart reactions to Dan’s likes and posts and then lots of over reactions/complaints about drama. Why? Based on what?

I’m happy with the writing and art being put out now. I kinda like how chill things are, if you block out all the whining (which yes of course people are allowed to express their feelings and fears, it just doesn’t improve my personal experience).

Last night I finally accepted that “DanandPhil” are on hiatus, not just the gaming channel, but obviously Dan himself and them together. I don’t think Dan will be in Phil’s new video in any capacity. The glasses vid is a good guess, I think he probably will be working off of suggestions unless he has a really interesting real life encounter, but I feel like those days might be done. Glad Dan is still taking the time to be an ambassador.
CapriciousCrab
sad dimple
Pronouns: She/her

autumnhearth wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:13 pm
Last night I finally accepted that “DanandPhil” are on hiatus, not just the gaming channel, but obviously Dan himself and them together. I don’t think Dan will be in Phil’s new video in any capacity. The glasses vid is a good guess, I think he probably will be working off of suggestions unless he has a really interesting real life encounter, but I feel like those days might be done. Glad Dan is still taking the time to be an ambassador.
This is what I'm thinking, too. Aside from the II viewing party there really hasn't been any professional interaction between them. As far as I know they haven't liked each others tweets or insta photos, so perhaps they're trying to separate their personal lives from their work lives? It might be permanent or it may just be until they figure out what they're doing, but it feels strange.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

I think that Dan being on hiatus plays a big part in the DanAndPhil's break. I would've side-eyed their joint hiatus way more if Dan was still active on the internet as always, so I'm gonna reserve judgement until Dan's proper comeback.
autumnhearth wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:13 pm The glasses vid is a good guess, I think he probably will be working off of suggestions unless he has a really interesting real life encounter, but I feel like those days might be done. Glad Dan is still taking the time to be an ambassador.
For the glasses vid he would need someone to show him pics, though. It's not a video he can do by himself, so either we get Dan (or his voice, at least) or it's a different video altogether.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Sorry for the double post but I just saw that Dan unliked the Nick Jonas tweet.
liola
rankussy

glitterintheair wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:35 pm Sorry for the double post but I just saw that Dan unliked the Nick Jonas tweet.
It still shows up in his likes for me? I don't think he did, it was really nothing controversial
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
Ablissa
pastel persona

liola wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:04 pm
glitterintheair wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:35 pm Sorry for the double post but I just saw that Dan unliked the Nick Jonas tweet.
It still shows up in his likes for me? I don't think he did, it was really nothing controversial
It doesn't show up for me in his likes, or my own likes.
I think that it could have something to do with the person putting their twitter on private.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Ablissa wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:11 pm
liola wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:04 pm
It doesn't show up for me in his likes, or my own likes.
I think that it could have something to do with the person putting their twitter on private.
Okay, I was wondering if it might have something to do with the op of the tweet, so good to know!
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

I would be a bit surprised if Dan played and active part in Phil's next video. The "time for a change" video struck me as attempt to test and try new things on his channel. I think he wants to keep AP his space and see where that takes him.
But I mean they live together, frequently appear in each other's vids and they're used to dividing workloads from the gaming channel so it'ss very possible. I would think Dan would like to return to youtube with some of his own making though, that's why my money is on a solo AP vid.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
autumnhearth
senpai

glitterintheair wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:35 pm I think that Dan being on hiatus plays a big part in the DanAndPhil's break. I would've side-eyed their joint hiatus way more if Dan was still active on the internet as always, so I'm gonna reserve judgement until Dan's proper comeback.
autumnhearth wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:13 pm The glasses vid is a good guess, I think he probably will be working off of suggestions unless he has a really interesting real life encounter, but I feel like those days might be done. Glad Dan is still taking the time to be an ambassador.
For the glasses vid he would need someone to show him pics, though. It's not a video he can do by himself, so either we get Dan (or his voice, at least) or it's a different video altogether.
Ah gotcha, there’s a tiny ray of hope then, if that’s what it is. Then again we might just be blessed with Phil in glasses and maybe he’s showing off some new mentalist tricks. I’m guessing the video will be up tomorrow, he’s seems to upload more on Sundays lately than Saturdays.
Elemancy
butt chair

I'm also thinking Phil will probably drop the video tomorrow though I'd love to be pleasantly surprised with an upload today. (Please?)

I also like the idea of Phil taking a more freeform approach with filming by playing around with viewer suggestions and finding new ways to express himself that go beyond anecdotal snippets of his day, which isn't at all to say I don't like them, I live for the way he tells a story, but I like seeing him try other things too. Its a general theme of change(and of course 'trying new things') that's been inspiring me to do the same this year too.

On that note, when it comes to potential future videos, something I find interesting is when he briefly touches on details like tarot, crystals, tea leaf readings, those aura glasses he bought once, etc. He seems to be genuinely intrigued, or at least mildly entertained by it, and I'd love to see another video of him approaching the topic again while giving a bit more insight about his interest in it. :crystalball:
:dildo:
SquishPhan
capita£ester

New vid!
autumnhearth
senpai

Aww I liked that. Great format, I want more. Somethings we’d heard before some definitely new information. I’ll be waiting for someone to write the fic where Phil goes clubbing and brags about having all the sex, please and thank you. Nice impression of his face in the thumbnail. The spikey mullet was atrocious.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

I really liked that. Like, a lot.

He seems so happy and confident, it was a cute video (and had closed captions!!!)

A little sad there was no Dan in the background but expected as much.
fancybum
senpai

Phil talking about sex I love it :happytears:
That was kind of delightful overall.

Not a fan of the amount of gel in his hair though? Somebody once mentioned the There's Something About Mary of it all and I kind of can't unsee that.
Last edited by fancybum on Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

first of all, damn he looks good in that sweater, i love everything about it
secondly, even tho i was aware of 2019 phil being more confident and comfortable w himself, i still got a mild shock when he mentioned the sex part...in a main video. like, a part of me was still "not used to" hearing him be open and be more comfortable sharing these things w us even tho i KNOW hes taking that step of being open w us now.

as much as i think my conscious me is ready for 2019 phil, i think my subconscious is not ready for 2019 phil yet.
"you are next to me in my life"
thestigdrivesamini
sad dimple

1) first main channel video ever with glasses?? Yes please

2) him openly talking about sex and drinking?? Yes! I love honest and real Phil!

3) I absolutely love that 2008 him filmed this and he remembered it

Hella good video! Definitely a rewatcher even though it was only 8 minutes long
FlegmaticSimon
drama llama

A really good video! Very cute and funny. I was smiling the whole time!

He seemed very happy and confident too. It was great to see.
vacule
squish

Phil looks incredible in this video, holy shit. He's so pretty! Also idk if it's just the light reflecting off his gelled hair but it does look a bit salt and peppery and I love it. I love it. Phil is daddy af. :bedtime:

This was such a cute video, I'm so pleased to hear him give his younger self solid advice and treat FetusPhil with compassion, and I loved how confident he was at the end about liking who he is now. I also thought it was precious how reluctant he was to go back and change things, he *is* living a pretty good life with his dream career and Dan, I'd be reluctant to change anything too.

Cue the Butterfly Effect fics where Phil falls through a rip in space and time to return to his first year of university, joins a bunch of clubs, never ends up with Dan, and then they meet again 10 years later in a completely different context.
Ablissa
pastel persona

Aaah definitely my fav video this year, and it's up there for the previous year too (for solo AP). This video was so so much more Phil Lester - the voice, the glasses, the topics he covered. I finally felt like the target audience is a bit older here and I loved it.
I had to do a doubletake when he not only mentioned sex, but continued talking about it for some time. Such a relatable subject too - so many people do lie about that stuff, and he's right that no one should ever need to.

I'm not sure how unique the concept is, but I loved the idea of him inserting clips as if it was a proper conversation. He looked super good in this video too. Love seeing some roots and some grey-ish hair maybe as well? I'm not sure.

It's a shame there was no Dan, but unlike the previous video, I feel quite satisfied just with this. <3

Also... the video was under 10 minutes long?! Think it might be demonetized too, as I haven't gotten any ads.
And he's got captions!
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

That was a cute video! Definitely very Phil to do, and I loved hearing some new stories about him in uni. It was interesting to see really genuine bits in this video, and I like the reflection aspect with the advice he was giving himself. The lying to seem cool was a little sad, but in a kind of understandable way, and wow hearing Phil say sex that many times in a row was an experience lol. The pictures were a great touch through the video, and seeing his different hair styles just shows how superior the quiff is (side note: the quiff was very...stiff looking lol. but his roots were peeking out so I'll excuse it). And on another superficial note that jumper looks so good on him (and him mentioning it was a birthday gift made my mind go immediately to Dan) and the glasses are always a fave of mine.

I hope this video brings us an influx of some good old time travel fic :3

*Editing to say that I got an ad before the video, so I don't think it's demonetized, but I'm very happy to hear about captions!
SquishPhan
capita£ester

That really was a lovely video. It made me want to hug the Phil from 10 years ago. :bighug:

On a shallow note, he looked really good. Love the combo of his quiff with his glasses.
knq
lava lamp

I love how sincere that was! The part about bragging about sex he (hadn’t) had really mimicked a Sims video where Dan and Phil went off on Dab for wanting to ‘brag about WooHoo’ to Evan or something to that effect. It’s sweet how much of themselves they put into those characters, even when the audience didn’t know it.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

we stan a sex maniac! (is something i almost posted on twitter but decided against because my other fandom already judges me hard enough)

I know he was editing yesterday, but I didn't expect a video before tomorrow. Thank you for the food Philly! :ribena:

I really enjoyed it, it's probably not the most original concept but he made it his and it was entertaining. He's not the most gifted storyteller in this format imo, but I liked hearing these (new!) stories from him. Most importantly, it very much felt like the reinvented AmazingPhil that so many of us hoped for. And I'm so happy about that for both me as a viewer and for him as a person. I really hope he feels good about liberating himself from the shackles of his previous persona.

Less than 10 minutes though? Capita£ester is dead. But tbh it might have been the perfect length for this video, it might have dragged on too much if it wet all the way to the 10:01 minute mark.

Phil looked so good btw. My appreciation for Phil in monochrome jumpers will never die,
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr