Dan & Phil Part 82: now onto the future

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
animad
squish

Im never usually that fussed about rewatching solo AP vids, but that one I immediately wanted to rewatched! Maybe its because I love hearing him talk about his uni days (and because I'm from York and im in my first year of uni so I relate to his advice hard lol), and how natural he sounded talking about it and telling those stories, I really liked this one, I'd forgotten we were even getting a vid so seeing the notif pop up was a v pleasant surprise

(Also yaknow the glasses+quiff+jumper combination :stan: )

I'm warming to the new background as well, I liked it before but now i think it suits him quite well, switching up the objects on the shelf every now and again could be fun (though I still think he needs to turn the lights down a notch or two)

Him saying that he's been pretty ill (hallucinating !! ) this past week makes me think thats why we haven't heard from them much this week, it's not a leap to think dan caught it too, or maybe it's just a continuation of the hiatus. I haven't really been paying enough attention to know whether there's been particularly fewer igs/tweets this week.

Someone said this was the first ap vid of him wearing his glasses, and that surprised me a lot, I guess because I'm used to seeing him with glasses on the gaming channel so much so I went back and checked and the earliest one I can find of him wearing glasses on his channel (or at least in the thumbnail), is tour of my brain from 4 years, the video directly before it, and 'the hunger games (and gay shoe marriage)' from 6 years ago!! I didn't scroll any further back than that, I wondered if he realises this is such a momentous occasion
Elemancy
butt chair

God, I loved his energy in that video. (And god I loved the way he looked in it)
Very engaging, entertaining, lighthearted and charismatic and so characteristically Phil. It's still him introducing a topic with the same vibrant, humorous air he brings to all his videos, but the open nature of it- the way he touched on more mature subjects and the latent vulnerabilities or fears he once dealt with regarding how he thought others might perceive him (including dealing with his own perceptions of self)- along with the different creative approach he took in making the conversation less of a one sided monologue and more of a true conversation with himself while having that glimpse of past Phil and his flowing locks of hair (juxtaposed with the 'spiky haired club hopping sex god')was just the perfect icing on this video for me. Loved it.

I also liked the way he preemptively steered the mood of the comment section to continue the upbeat theme of the video by asking for people to comment with their own funny, lighthearted past self conversations.
Last edited by Elemancy on Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:dildo:
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

animad wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:00 pm Someone said this was the first ap vid of him wearing his glasses, and that surprised me a lot, I guess because I'm used to seeing him with glasses on the gaming channel so much so I went back and checked and the earliest one I can find of him wearing glasses on his channel (or at least in the thumbnail), is tour of my brain from 4 years, the video directly before it, and 'the hunger games (and gay shoe marriage)' from 6 years ago!! I didn't scroll any further back than that, I wondered if he realises this is such a momentous occasion
yeah thats really interesting, i never really noticed as well (and damn, this is a lot coming from me cz of how much i love the glasses aesthetic) but this is indeed a momentous occasion. regardless, he looks really good in it tho and like this combo of quiff + glasses + sweater is just too much...give me more

anyways, may he wear the pee glasses a lot more in future videos :stan:
"you are next to me in my life"
sonicgreen
woodland creature

sometimes phil does something so simple, and he does it well.
love him.
he is truly committed to getting us the Consistent Content(TM)
rikonee
drama llama

Oh my god, I ADORE that video.
He's still trying to be funny and lighthearted but he mentions some of the more mature things. Past Phil trying to convince everyone he's a sex maniac? I stan lol. :lol:

It's always nice to hear new stories from Phil. The problems are all so real and it humanize him. The advices are actually great too (instead of being jokey like I thought it would be).

Also him mentioning that he's happy with who he is today. :happytears:
Also I love him with the glasses, the quiff, and that sweater. Past!Phil's cuteness doesn't hurt either.
Almost married PJ. we broke up tho
-Philip Michael Lester, 2008
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

This was a nice video. In the video's he's made so far this year, Phil is looking a bit more relaxed. A little less in the role of child entertainer and little bit more himself. I would haved like to see him let young student Phil talk a bit more, he really only gave his old self the chance to say 'uhh', 'ohh' and talk about the hair some, but the video stands out as more personal than most of his work.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

I liked this video! I liked that Phil tried to change up his usual format, but I have to say that I found the execution a bit awkward. Regardless, here are my highlights:
  • [1:23] Phil explains one of his past questionable haircuts. Apparently, he wanted to look like some celebrities at the time. Phil doesn’t think the haircut was right, but the comparison honestly looks pretty spot-on to me.
  • [2:43] Phil’s first piece of advice for his past self is to not have a piggy-back race. He goes on to tell the story of how he and his housemate “Clint” had a few drinks one night and decided to have a piggy-back race down the road against some other people. Phil was over 6’ and Clint was under 5’, but they decided that Phil should ride on Clint. Phil ended up falling off of Clint, hitting his hand on the road, and having to go to the hospital. According to Phill, the moral of the story is: “Don’t climb on your friends.”
  • [3:56] Phil’s second piece of advice for his past self (except his past self didn’t need it because he already knows that he didn’t do it…) was to not go home after the first week of university. In the first week, he got really homesick, but he felt “4000%” better after about three weeks.
  • [4:38] Phil’s third piece of advice was to not pretend to be someone else. Phil pretended that he loved clubbing and that he loved staying up until 5am. At [5:24], he says:
    P: Same thing as well: I was like, “Yeah, I’ve had all the sex. I am the sex maniac.” And it went to the level where people were like, “Wow. Really? You’ve had that much sex?” I was like, “Yeah. Yeah. I’ve done all the sex. Me. Totally.” And that was just me trying to impress the other guys in my house.
    He says that it’s stupid because it’s a thing that no one cares about. He doesn’t know why he thought it would be embarrassing if he had not had “all the sex” yet. He says that he ended up telling everyone the truth a few weeks later, and he’s so glad that he did.
  • [6:07] Phil’s fourth piece of advice was to join more clubs.
  • [6:34] Phil’s fifth piece of advice was to always knock on his housemates doors before entering their rooms. He says he walked in on “so many things” because he didn’t do that. At [6:42], he says:
    P: Our house just had a culture of, like, Yeah, just walk in whenever. But then one of my housemates got a boyfriend, and let’s just say, when I opened the door, I saw a lot...of the boyfriend. I slammed it straight away. I was like, “Woah!” But it was too late. I said sorry. I could just never make eye contact with this guy again.
  • [7:04] Phil’s final piece of advice is to duck when a chocolate orange gets thrown at his head while working at “Muble-You-Smaitch-Hith” (WHSmith). He also says that he hated that job and that he should quit the month before Christmas rather than the month after.
  • Once again, Phil has listed all three versions (worldwide, US, and Australia) of his individual merch shops at the top of the video description, and he has listed the Dan and Phil Shop with his individual merch links.
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?
greenergrass
stress mushroom

I really loved that video. It was a normal Phil type of video, with some extra zing to it. Hearing Phil talk about sex on his main channel was surprising, but also not super surprising considering how much more he's been opening up and presenting a more "mature" (for lack of a better word) version of himself on ap.

I also really liked the casual mention of his roommate's boyfriend. I know it's not groundbreaking or anything, but I'm assuming his roommate was also a boy (since he mentioned guys when referring to his roommates earlier), and it's always nice to hear casually queer anecdotes from Phil. I could be completely wrong about this, but I feel like a couple years ago Phil might have kept that anecdote genderless, but who knows.
susan2
rainbow nerd

"But I went to bed, I was like yeah, I'll be fine" (x) .... that sounds familiar Phil...did you ask "Clint" to get you some toast too? ;)
Catallena wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:27 pm Less than 10 minutes though? Capita£ester is dead. But tbh it might have been the perfect length for this video, it might have dragged on too much if it wet all the way to the 10:01 minute mark.
Yeah, I agree, I think it was a good decision to keep it to the length it was and not try to drag it past the 10min mark.

I like that Phil seems to be getting back into the swing of things on his main channel, building up some consistency, and that felt like a little dip of the toe into some new territory for him. Though it did remind me a lot of that that section in Interactive Introverts where they were giving advice to school/Uni students - much of the same underlying advice. Good advice though it is, I did feel like I'd heard a lot of it before from him.
itasca00 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:36 pm Once again, Phil has listed all three versions (worldwide, US, and Australia) of his individual merch shops at the top of the video description, and he has listed the Dan and Phil Shop with his individual merch links.
...and since un-smooshing the combined shop - he still only has Dan and Phil Shop linked in his About page / YouTube header....will he beat his previous 2 year record to update it :lol: It's so odd that there doesn't seem to be a direct link from Dan and Phil Shop to their individual shops at all.
Andy
squish
Pronouns: she/her

Logging on to say, holy hell! That video was so. Good!!
Thank you, Phil from the past! :stan:
coconut
tol bean

This Phil video felt like a gift! So good, it’s definitely my favorite out of the videos he’s put out in 2019. I love hearing him talk so candidly about his experiences. (and for personal reasons, this was perfectly timed! <3)
<3
Phantasy
woodland creature

What a fun little video!
I’m just sorry for the timing... hope his views recover since at the same time the entire internet was distracted and hyperventilating...

(Hoping so bad Dan will leave a thirst like)
Ablissa
pastel persona

~*Lazy Spon Quote Because It's 4 AM And I Should Be Asleep*~
Ablissa wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:01 am Here's a reminder that our rabbit watch fest is tomorrow/today if you're a night owl like me! Sunday, Feb 17th. Three showings: 1 PM, 7 PM, 10 PM UTC.
We're watching baking videos, and the audience will vote on which specific videos to watch :)

Rabbit made some (really dumb) changes to the way it works, so we won't use our regular link to watch - I will post the working link tomorrow before our first showing, and it will hopefully stay valid throughout the day.

Hope to see you there! :cakescene:
I just realized that 'rabbit watch fest' sounds like we'll be watching actual rabbits. If any of you prefer bunny content over deppy, I am easily persuaded.
opendoor
rainbow nerd

Good video! I love the pre-planning, and the way Phil's able to reflect on the past, including past mistakes, without being harsh on himself. Those old hairstyles were gloriously bad too.

I miss Dan a lot and really want the next AP vid to be a collab though.
I miss Dan Howell's stupid face.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

I loved this video, and I guess I'm not alone! I'm not always one for Phil's current content, but this was lovely, and I don't think it was just because of the glimpses of old-school Phil. Something I will rewatch, and not out of drought-desperation. :tu: <3
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
glitterintheair
phillluminati

I really hope the video does well in terms of views, because it was incredible and it deserves it. It's so refreshing to see more of Phil and less of AmazingPhil and I'm so here for it.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
kavat
pastel persona

I really liked that video! I think it's one of my favorite solo vids of his from the past couple of years. I liked the concept, it felt unique (I don't know if someone else has done it). It wasn't just reacting to old videos or a copy of Dan's Message to my younger self, but a good mix of both. I liked hearing new stories or expand on stories we've heard in parts before. And I swear I turned into whitemanblinking.gif when he mentioned how he used to brag about all the sex he didn't have. I didn't expect that but I'm really glad he touched on that subject because it's such a common thing and he gave some good advice.
Ablissa
pastel persona

As promised, here is the link to today's watch party :) We'll be watching baking vids!
https://www.rabb.it/s/0nkubc

If you have any issues joining the stream, pm me anywhere and I'll help <3
thedtomyp
placenta

I'm watching old DAPG videos and I miss Dan so much :( Don't get me wrong; I enjoyed the new AP video, it was great! But we haven't even seen Dan for so long and I need SOMETHING. I hope Dan is doing okay and he'll come back to youtube soon. Until then, have a great weekend y'all!
Ablissa
pastel persona

All I took from this ig story - they haven't moved out yet. :tinfoil:

(round two of the watch fest is up here - https://www.rabb.it/s/0nkubc)
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

#SPONALERT

hey kids! our third and last showing for the day will be starting SOON!
get your snacks and drinks ready, then come join us for some dan and phil baking (or failing) :ribena:
(i miss our dads)

https://www.rabb.it/s/0nkubc
"you are next to me in my life"
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

I guess I'm a bit late to the party, but I wanted to post about how much I loved Phil's most recent video. I found his first 2 videos of 2019 to be underwhelming, but this one was exactly the kind of video I want to see from Phil going forward. It was lighthearted and fun while still managing to be a bit more grown up, and a bit more personal. I, for one, hope that he does a few deep dives into his university experience. I want to hear more of his stories. I would also love to hear a bit about his dating life in college. Will he share stuff that personal? I guess time will tell.
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell
cringemonkey
drama llama

sapienveneficus wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:12 pm I guess I'm a bit late to the party, but I wanted to post about how much I loved Phil's most recent video. I found his first 2 videos of 2019 to be underwhelming, but this one was exactly the kind of video I want to see from Phil going forward. It was lighthearted and fun while still managing to be a bit more grown up, and a bit more personal. I, for one, hope that he does a few deep dives into his university experience. I want to hear more of his stories. I would also love to hear a bit about his dating life in college. Will he share stuff that personal? I guess time will tell.
Although I would love for him to discuss his uni experiences more - especially his dating life, I doubt he will talk about stuff that personal :( what does everyone else think?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

cringemonkey wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:05 pm
sapienveneficus wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:12 pm I guess I'm a bit late to the party, but I wanted to post about how much I loved Phil's most recent video. I found his first 2 videos of 2019 to be underwhelming, but this one was exactly the kind of video I want to see from Phil going forward. It was lighthearted and fun while still managing to be a bit more grown up, and a bit more personal. I, for one, hope that he does a few deep dives into his university experience. I want to hear more of his stories. I would also love to hear a bit about his dating life in college. Will he share stuff that personal? I guess time will tell.
Although I would love for him to discuss his uni experiences more - especially his dating life, I doubt he will talk about stuff that personal :( what does everyone else think?
I don't know if I can see him ever talking that much about people from uni that might not want to be identified in a random video seen by almost a million people. But I would love to hear him talk more about youtube itself from that era. I'd love his reflections on what youtube and the youtube community was like to be a part of circa 2007-late 2009.
intoapuddle
spork

I thought the video was fun, but I wish there was more from the old video. I think there must have been a lot of things cut out of it since the clips we saw were so short, but then again he could've just made the best out of the little material he had.

Only thing I didn't particularly like about the video was that it felt a bit PSA-y at times, especially when he got into the "be yourself" part. It's not bad - his advice was good and they were definitely important things to talk about - but it did feel like he was talking to everyone other than me as I'm not a teenager who's feeling scared about a new thing in that way. Sure, the advice was applicable to many situations, but I guess I just don't like anything that makes him feel like a "kids channel" because he did that for a long time lol.

Other than that I loved it! He seems so much more confident nowadays. The whole piggy back ride thing made me laugh a lot. I definitely want to hear more stories like that, he seems to have a never ending supply of strange stories. If he loses a bit more of the filter I'm sure he has a lot more to tell.

I'm just like, proud of him for being consistent and interacting on twitter and uploading more than he's done before. I miss the gaming channel, that one's always been my favourite, but as far as solo content goes the videos he's uploaded have all been really good!