Dan & Phil Part 82: now onto the future

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
hello9217
flower crown
Pronouns: she/her

I really loved that video and I saw that some comments he liked mentioned that they enjoyed how he was a bit more personal. I hope he does actually think about that as he continues his videos. I believe phil is trying to find footing again in making solo content. For almost a year and a half joint content was more common on his channel than solo so I'm sure he's trying to get back into making strictly solo stuff again. His first video was a necessity to make, his second video was very amazingphil, and now this one was more phil lester. I'm sure he's just testing to find out what works best for him.

All that being said I really really miss them. I'm not too bothered about dan wanting a break but I don't know what this is really accomplishing. People are still building up what dan's next video will be and what he's doing during his time off. I wish he wouldn't wait till the 1 year anniversary of ttlmt but as the date draws nearer that seems to be exactly what he's doing. Idk I just assumed the hiatus would have ended by now but yet here we still are. I just kind of wish we knew where they are right now. What, if anything, do we have to look forward to? Plus I feel there will continue to be no joint content until dan decides to return from his break. And even then-maybe they do want to focus on more solo stuff. Coming up on three months and have yet to see even a picture of them together, other than one a fan took :( like I said I really miss them.
starwatersong
phabergé

whatdoiknow wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:52 pm
I also really liked the casual mention of his roommate's boyfriend. I know it's not groundbreaking or anything, but I'm assuming his roommate was also a boy (since he mentioned guys when referring to his roommates earlier), and it's always nice to hear casually queer anecdotes from Phil. I could be completely wrong about this, but I feel like a couple years ago Phil might have kept that anecdote genderless, but who knows.
Belated add-on...

Loved the anecdote as well, but it is possible the roommate was in a straight relationship.

I also went to University of York (but a few years earlier) and dorms were mixed with no one actually sharing a room (everyone had small separate rooms with sinks in them).

Either way, Phil still kept the anecdote gender neutral, which is encouraging.

And always knock. Even if it’s your own room. *shuffles away sad and traumatized*
glitterintheair
phillluminati

hello9217 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:21 am All that being said I really really miss them. I'm not too bothered about dan wanting a break but I don't know what this is really accomplishing. People are still building up what dan's next video will be and what he's doing during his time off. I wish he wouldn't wait till the 1 year anniversary of ttlmt but as the date draws nearer that seems to be exactly what he's doing. Idk I just assumed the hiatus would have ended by now but yet here we still are. I just kind of wish we knew where they are right now. What, if anything, do we have to look forward to? Plus I feel there will continue to be no joint content until dan decides to return from his break. And even then-maybe they do want to focus on more solo stuff. Coming up on three months and have yet to see even a picture of them together, other than one a fan took :( like I said I really miss them.
I wish Dan wouldn't wait for the anniversary either for two reasons:
1) still 2 weeks to go, meaning that we wouldn't see him until then because one thing i'm sure of is that his official comeback will be on dinof;
2) that day would be inevitably filled with hype and anxiety and people will be on the edge of their seats all day waiting for something that might not even happen after all and that's exactly what I want to avoid.

Anyway yeah, I really miss Them too. I feel like an abandoned spouse.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
liola
rankussy

I'm trying to imagine what woud happen if Dan DOESN'T upload on the anniversary of TTLMT and.. it's not pretty.

I'm having a challenging day and I just don't feel positive about him or join content right now. At this point i don't know if i'm more sad or annoyed.
I just don't understand what we're supposed to wait for, and how we're supposed to care. I'm starting to get annoyed that everytime we talk about an incoming Phil video, the first question is what is going to be about, and the second one is whether or not Dan will feature. Phil probably doesn't care, but it's unfair to him, to hype up his content on the off-chance that it will feature Dan because it's the only way too see them together. I want to enjoy a solo Phil video like he hasn't had the chance to do in more than a year, and not feel deprived of a joint video.

I'm annoyed at Dan, I'm gonna go right out and say it. Just like he's allowed to get a break if he needs one and has the means to get one (most jobs don't allow that, just saying) I feel allowed to be annoyed at this. I'm at the point where I honestly don't care one bit about what kind of video he's going to come back with, I just want him to come back so that we can stop anticipating it. And that makes me sad, cause while his solo content has never been my main thing, I can appreciate that he puts thoughts and care into them, and that they're good quality. But this isn't a sustainable content income in 2019, and I don't think they really realize it because they have this huge community to fall back to.

I understand the need to do creatve things on their own, I applaud them for wanting to change things and not settle for the old scheme if that wasn't satisfying for them. But they didn't factor in that while they had time to become accustomed t the change, had time to discuss it and be sure of it, they didn't give any warning to the fandom and we didn't have any transition period. because they did over Christmas break which is something that we're used to get anyway and it didn't feel any different. I'm sure in their mind that was the best option, but I actually think it might've been worse because we didn't have time to distinguish between the two.

And that brings me to the instagram stories/twitter points. Yes, I still think they're moving. Yes I understand that might be why we're not getting much content. But pardon me if i'm rolling my eyes and being annoyed whenever someone says that the lack of insta stories is because Dan is still on an internet hiatus, because he has been tweeting, he has been liking stuff and such, and it's not like he has a smaller platform on twitter than instagram - if anything, he's under a deeper scrutiny on Twitter. So this is just on purpose and I'm just trying to understand why this seems like a good idea to them.

I don't have a positive look for the future, that I can say. I've been on team no dapg return, and at this point I don't think joint content is gonna come back permanently - which I understand. But I'm starting to wonder if we're gonna get it at all -because once they give in and give us a joint video, they know it won't stop the demand for it. And again, it annoys me that we gotta relay on Phil only for that.
EDIT to say: this is just about danandphil brand/creative side of things. I still think they're doing very very fine in their personal life
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
alostan
smol bean

Honestly Liola, you’ve managed to verbalise exactly how I’m feeling so much better than I ever could.

I feel like a child whose parent has left on a trip and didn’t tell me when he’s going to come back. Phil’s doing is best but I miss Dan and his stupid face. :snow:

It’s hard to stay positive when you don’t know what’s going on. They haven’t said anything about this extended break since before Christmas and if they would just communicate with us it would make everything so much easier on everyone.

I don’t know if dapg or dan is coming back but Phil can’t keep the phandom engaged on his own. How long can he keep making videos once a week? A consistent schedule has never been their forte. We’ve survived droughts before but that was when they were doing another project (eg tours) but I don’t think the phandom will be so linent this time.
Even if their moving, jobs don’t give people time off for that.

The best thing for them to do would be to announce what the holy hell they are doing, or for Dan to come back. His comeback isn’t likely to be received well but the longer he waits the worst it’s going to get. He needs to rip the plaster off. His first video (or appearance) will be the worst but I think everyone would settle down after that?

Omg sorry for this rant. I’ve clearly had far to much bottled up feeling about this :oops:
Amiaw
interactive introvert

It’s been about a month since the watch party and so far this future that we’re in has been a disappointment. I feel like we are all in a limbo until dan decides to do something and right now a lot of the phandom is unhappy.

There have been some good things. Phil is still committed to giving us regular content and he’s made some positive changes like captioning his videos so I’m glad that we aren’t in a complete drought but I think his views/subs are dropping because outside of videos we don’t know anything about Phil anymore.
He hasn’t enjoyed live shows for awhile but maybe bringing back stories where he talked about his day or even just posting more photos might help him a little. It would certainly help me feel more engaged.

As for Dan....I’ve posted some thoughts before but I’m going to be controversial and say that I’ve lost some respect for him during this break. He says he’s a professional entertainer but this silence is the opposite of professional. I do want to be clear and say he’s allowed a break but it would take very little for him to actually announce that he’s on break and instead he’s just ghosting us. We knew dapg was supposed to be on hiatus but I didnt realize that meant Dan was going to be taking one too and maybe that was supposed to be obvious but it wasn’t clear to me or many people in the phandom.

I don’t want to be negative and I will watch Dan’s video when it drops and I will continue supporting Phil’s content but I hope that we’ll eventually know what this new normal is supposed to be because I’ve never been good at waiting.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

@liola you read my mind.
Do they seriously think that just because they have a loyal fanbase, they can get away with anything? Good luck with that, because I'm not sure how they can keep the audience engaged like this - personally, I don't know how much longer I can still care about them, given the circumstances.
I'm getting really tired of justifying their actions, tbh. They dropped the news of PINOF ending and DAPG going on hiatus out of nowhere, and they were like "oh don't worry, we're still gonna be on the internet, we're gonna make content for you to enjoy, Merry Christmas!".
It's mid-February and Phil is carrying the Phandom on his back while Dan has disappeared into the void, we don't know if joint content will still be a Thing or not, ig stories are scarce, liveshows are non-existent and we don't know when Dan will come back and the fact they didn't warn us about any of that in advance was a shitty move.
Speaking of Dan, his behavior is getting on my nerves too. He can take all the breaks in the world, he can do whatever he wants but that doesn't mean that people should just shut up about it because "he doesn't owe us anything" or whatever people are saying. Making videos is his job, it's not like he's doing us a favor. What is he even doing? He told us that we might get a video, but when exactly can we expect that? Does he want us to beg for it? I don't understand but he better not act surprised or upset if people end up overhyping it, because he's basically asking for it. Or maybe he will get upset about it and we will finally get a liveshow, at least.
I am just annoyed at this point, I can't even rewatch dapg videos without feeling sad. All I want is for them to tell us what's going on, so I can stop waiting and hoping for things.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

Amiaw wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:44 am As for Dan....I’ve posted some thoughts before but I’m going to be controversial and say that I’ve lost some respect for him during this break. He says he’s a professional entertainer but this silence is the opposite of professional. I do want to be clear and say he’s allowed a break but it would take very little for him to actually announce that he’s on break and instead he’s just ghosting us. We knew dapg was supposed to be on hiatus but I didnt realize that meant Dan was going to be taking one too and maybe that was supposed to be obvious but it wasn’t clear to me or many people in the phandom.
Yes, I agree with this.
And I agree that Dan is continuing to put more stress on himself. The fact that it seems likely that he's uploading on the anniversary of his video as if that makes his new video have a greater impact, the fact that he has talked about how taking a break will make him grow as a person and as a creator, that he - save for a few tweets - completely disappeared off the earth, that DAPG went on a break (is it because of Dan?)...

I think at this point he could be posting a coming out and confirming phan video and some would still be pissed.
Phil being a happy, content-producing robot doesn't exactly help either. It adds to the weird feeling and the uncertainty.
noodlebum
flower crown

This whole thing does seem to have us all just kind of holding our breaths, doesn't it?
if they have got other secret/exciting projects in the pipeline they ought to at least hint there is, so people can understand/get pumped.
Dan being vague about new videos is kind-of rude, presuming we'll all be happy when he eventually decides to return and welcome with open arms (I mean I will, but still). If he's looking to do other things, again just communicate that so people know what to expect.
I don't know, it's all a bit meh :snow: Poor Phil trying to carry on as normal :|
rikonee
drama llama

At this point, I just don't really care about DINOF's return tbh. I would still watch it if it drops, but I'm not waiting around for it. :shrug:

I already unsubscribed from Dan's channel for like 2 months already. Kinda felt bad tho. Sorry, Dan. I also stopped hoping for Dan to appear on Phil's channel and right now, the only thing I can say for certain is I will support Phil's channel as long as he keeps making content, whether it's regular, semi-regular, or even irregular.
Almost married PJ. we broke up tho
-Philip Michael Lester, 2008
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I'm feeling negative too, so glad to share some of that with y'all. I've come to the point where positivity gets me annoyed, so I really don't need any uplifting replies rn either. Remember when they said that nothing else was gonna change? HAHAHAHA.

If their goal for the future is tanking their careers by having fans become bored and walking out on them, congrats cause that's happening. The three channels were like their own little ecosystem, and they fucked that up without seemingly any other plans.

Phil is trying, but his channel has always been the least popular. It can barely sustain itself, let alone the entire phandom. Him pretending like nothing abnormal is happening is starting to annoy me too, even though rationally I know he has no other option. Meanwhile Dan... who the fuck knows at the point? He doesn't see himself as ~just a YouTuber~ but isn't doing anything else either. And if he secretly is, this complete radio silence is just gonna end up making people care a lot less than they normally would have. He'll most likely won't upload until he can say that it has been a year, but probably a big reason as to why he doesn't want to communicate with us is that we'll keep asking him about new content. Which is a problem only he created. By himself. Not our fault. His. I agree with him acting quite unprofessional for someone who is always so desperate to be taken seriously. :shrug:

Stories suck lately. I would know, I still edit them. Aside from Dan probably already having put up some dumb quality barrier because that's how he works, Phil's stories have been stale. Oh he watched an anime. Oh he's playing a new game. That info was fun in liveshows when he'd actually talk about why he likes those things. Now I had to look up that slime blob anime to make sure he didn't get into yet another problematic isekai anime.

It really does feel like they (or just Dan idk) expect people to just wait around like we've always done, and I've actually said something like this before during the TATINOF US tour when they also went silent because of that glorified scrapbook. Except little did I know that that drought was nothing compared to this.

/end of quick rant that I didn't proof read
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
hello9217
flower crown

"We're not disappearing from the internet, just from the gaming channel." Mmmm.... yeah you may want to think about that one again. I just am confused about how much effort really goes into making a tweet or posting an old photo on Instagram. Or even just a photo to ig story saying 'I'm fine.' The buildup to something is not really exciting when you have no clue what you're even waiting for. Also I feel like I've given dan enough leeway with how long his break is- especially considering he never even said he was taking a break. At this point it's just getting a little ridiculous. He said in december he was going to post a video, he said in his newsletter he was going to post a video, so he can please just post a video. Like @liola said, it's a tad bit annoying that people care about phil's videos for 2 or 3 hours and then go right back to 'i miss dan.'
snokoplasmic
procrastinator

Man I wish I could contribute in the conversation in a better, more concise way, but my opinion pretty much boils down to:
· I couldn't care less about DINOF coming back
· I'm sure that Dan's okay
· They told us that this break is indefinite (didn't Dan jokingly say "53 months..." or something like that in the liveshow just to specifically emphasize that they haven't planned when they're coming back?), I don't think they need to do monthly check-ins
· Don't drag Phil down with Dan (I don't think he's necessarily a "content-producing robot" desperately trying to pick up all the slack. I mean, obviously his main channel is the only one producing content right now, so sure he may feel like he should upload more often, but also during the liveshow where they announced the hiatus they did say that main channels are continuing, it's just the gaming channel on a break, which I took as "main channels are going to be the new focus," which is....exactly what Phil is doing right now (again, i'm only talking about Phil with this one. Idrk/c what's up with Dan's channel, but that's not for this bullet point). I don't feel like it's fair to Phil, seeing the growth he's trying to accomplish on AmazingPhil and how much he's bringing real, 2019 Phil onto his longtime kid-friendly channel and how deliberately he's doing it, and at a pace we probably never could've imagined, to narrow it down to "Phil's just pumping out content to keep the phandom at bay." Because they did tell us that they would focus on main channels more, and as far as I'm concerned, Phil is upholding that perfectly. To put it bluntly, Dan's the only one fucking up with this one.
· And yeah, it is quite annoying that Phil's videos can't seem get a review that doesn't include "i just wish that Dan was there, though :(." That's not his job
· Idk what Dan's doing, (I'll be honest I don't care that much), I know that he's alive and well through twitter likes, and that's all I've ever needed from him
· I wish that Dan hadn't started teasing the fact that he might have plans for a video in like, December, iirc, because it gave people the impression that there would a Big Early 2019 DINOF Comeback, like how any other year there's a year-starter video on DINOF. But this is (somehow) the same break he's been on since whenever it was he posted the II trailer (more like GTPWTW, actually, which was april), not some new break that we need new guidelines for -- but I'll be honest, this one is all his fault, for making people have expectations for a video for nearly three months now
· I feel for Dan, in a way, but also I don't. I personally don't care about his main channel coming back (I'm sure I'll watch whatever it is once and then watch other people dicuss it and then never watch it again, like all his other videos), so I'm not really speaking from a place where I desperately want a video from him. I'm more coming from a place where I know that he's dug himself a bit of a hole and I feel bad for him because he probably didn't mean to do that, but also I don't feel bad because he dug himself into a hole and it's solely his fault. Idk, I don't really think too deep about dinof
· Idk, maybe I'm just not as invested in them as I believed I was, but I really don't care what bad business decisions they're making. I'm not stressing over why all this is such a horrible plan for them to be undertaking, because that's their problem. My job here is to watch what they give us and react and have opinions, and that's what I do, and I enjoy it. Their job is to actually do the stuff. If they're tanking themselves, then that sucks. But I'm not gonna stress over it. I'm just gonna keep watching my cute AmazingPhil videos
Okay those are my general opinons on the situation as a whole, I hope that at least some of that makes sense lol
nephilimcat
woodland creature

snokoplasmic wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:53 pm
· Don't drag Phil down with Dan (I don't think he's necessarily a "content-producing robot" desperately trying to pick up all the slack. I mean, obviously his main channel is the only one producing content right now, so sure he may feel like he should upload more often, but also during the liveshow where they announced the hiatus they did say that main channels are continuing, it's just the gaming channel on a break, which I took as "main channels are going to be the new focus," which is....exactly what Phil is doing right now (again, i'm only talking about Phil with this one. Idrk/c what's up with Dan's channel, but that's not for this bullet point). I don't feel like it's fair to Phil, seeing the growth he's trying to accomplish on AmazingPhil and how much he's bringing real, 2019 Phil onto his longtime kid-friendly channel and how deliberately he's doing it, and at a pace we probably never could've imagined, to narrow it down to "Phil's just pumping out content to keep the phandom at bay." Because they did tell us that they would focus on main channels more, and as far as I'm concerned, Phil is upholding that perfectly. To put it bluntly, Dan's the only one fucking up with this one.

· I wish that Dan hadn't started teasing the fact that he might have plans for a video in like, December, iirc, because it gave people the impression that there would a Big Early 2019 DINOF Comeback, like how any other year there's a year-starter video on DINOF. But this is (somehow) the same break he's been on since whenever it was he posted the II trailer (more like GTPWTW, actually, which was april), not some new break that we need new guidelines for -- but I'll be honest, this one is all his fault, for making people have expectations for a video for nearly three months now
· I feel for Dan, in a way, but also I don't. I personally don't care about his main channel coming back (I'm sure I'll watch whatever it is once and then watch other people dicuss it and then never watch it again, like all his other videos), so I'm not really speaking from a place where I desperately want a video from him. I'm more coming from a place where I know that he's dug himself a bit of a hole and I feel bad for him because he probably didn't mean to do that, but also I don't feel bad because he dug himself into a hole and it's solely his fault. Idk, I don't really think too deep about dinof
· Idk, maybe I'm just not as invested in them as I believed I was, but I really don't care what bad business decisions they're making. I'm not stressing over why all this is such a horrible plan for them to be undertaking, because that's their problem. My job here is to watch what they give us and react and have opinions, and that's what I do, and I enjoy it. Their job is to actually do the stuff. If they're tanking themselves, then that sucks. But I'm not gonna stress over it. I'm just gonna keep watching my cute AmazingPhil videos
Pretty much this. As you can tell by the fact that it has been months since I last posted anything on here, I'm really not that invested anymore but I still check this forum every day because I'm curious. I just became a semi-casual viewer, I guess?

I feel like maybe Dan didn't want to continue with YouTube while Phil does and everyone expects them to stay a unit when they came to a point where their interests career wise don't align anymore. There are a million reasons why they chose to call it a hiatus but I am quite mad at Dan for hiding behind Phil like that. Either he has already decided that he won't be coming back and is focusing on something else entirely without telling us shit or he doesn't know what on earth he wants.

The thing is, I'll always have some understanding for Dan because I can relate. Mental illness isn't easy. But he could make his own life and everyone else's much easier by communicating clearly. And I don't mean disclosing his mental state. Dan, just don't say the gaming channel will be on a hiatus while saying nothing about your own channel. Be honest and say you don't know when or if a video will come out so people won't expect anything. Stop teasing videos that will never be uploaded. That's a single tweet and could take a lot of the pressure away.

And if he knows he won't be coming back then he should just say so. It doesn't matter if it upsets the fans, it's his life, he can do what he wants. But at least get it over with. Maybe he wants to ghost us so nobody cares anymore when he ultimately reveals that he's disappearing from YouTube for good. It certainly worked in my case. Would anyone even be surprised at this point?

Just leave Phil out of this, he's doing fine :hearts:
pulvis et umbra sumus
sonicgreen
woodland creature

if they are closing to making or have already made the decision to end the gaming channel i want to know. i really do. a part of me can't imagine that because its a steady income and consistent content, but i will be crushed if its truly gone. :cry:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

This is definitely the cycle of phandom right now. Phil vid > about 24 hours of happy > roughly seven to fourteen days of back to upset. I wish I could give everyone that's not handling it well a big hug right now.
snokoplasmic wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:53 pm · Idk, maybe I'm just not as invested in them as I believed I was, but I really don't care what bad business decisions they're making. I'm not stressing over why all this is such a horrible plan for them to be undertaking, because that's their problem. My job here is to watch what they give us and react and have opinions, and that's what I do, and I enjoy it. Their job is to actually do the stuff. If they're tanking themselves, then that sucks. But I'm not gonna stress over it. I'm just gonna keep watching my cute AmazingPhil videos
I think you can be invested in them and still trust that they know what career decisions they're making. I'm also in a position of finding the business side of what they're doing deeply interesting, but I'm also aware of that we are only looking at one corner of the puzzle while they've got the whole thing laid out in front of them. They know what they're doing better than I know what they're doing.

I have generally maintained the opinion that it makes the most sense to me that they aren't going to give up the biggest adsense and fandom appealing aspects of their career. I also still believe that. We're about three weeks into what could be considered the DAPG that, as snokoplasmic said, they very clearly did tell us about. There's no mystery there. Dan seemed to indicate that the 'hiatus' (as in, the start of the period where we'd be expecting them to post and they don't) would be the end of January. That was eighteen days ago.

Dan really is the kink in the works here. He didn't announce his personal hiatus from social media, but also... it's not really a full hiatus? It's more like a break, in which he's still doing the bare minimum to show us he's alive. It's not what people want, but he's also not full-stop cutting off contact. Dan's taken breaks just like this before, and not really needed to announce it. People got the picture that he wasn't going to be posting for a stretch of time, and then eventually he came back. It's just the timing of that alongside DAPG, and the long interval since a Dan video, that makes it stand out a bit more keenly.

Personally, I don't think Dan's done with youtube, and I do think joint content is coming back. Three weeks is not a long time, guys. It feels like it since it's been a month and a half without a joint video, but we were never going to get a DAPG video before the three week point in January anyway. That was not going to be on the table with or without a hiatus. The catastrophizing is hitting a bit early imo, but I also know that's another case of phandom's gonna phandom and by that I mean... take small pieces of information and deduce the worst possible scenario because patience is not our forte as a hivemind.

I do also wish Phil could get more conversation that didn't have a tinge of 'it's ok but it's not Dan' in the reviews. But oh well, again, phandom's gonna phandom. There is no focusing on just the nice when there's doom and gloom to also be spread, and part of that is because what's the 'nice' part changes from person to person. I totally understand someone who only liked gaming videos being upset, or only like dinof being upset, or someone who doesn't love AP not feeling very appeased by this. (But the problem is that one person's subjective upset at 'I don't feel like I'm getting what I want right now content-wise' tends to be spread and painted as objective badness - ie, 'Dan and Phil are destroying their careers, everything is going to fall apart.' It's like a really bad game of anxiety telephone, but that's a whole different rant that I know I've already gone through multiple times on here and I'll spare everyone this time.)
autumnhearth
senpai

I honestly would rather all joint content end and have us become a small AmazingPhil fandom than for Dan to feel like he has to “give us what we want” at the expense of his comfort and well being. The themes of II and things he said in the commentary still bother me and seem unhealthy. I hope and am inclined to think that this is just a necessary break. My greatest fear is that he is intentionally withholding content as some kind of punishment or experiment that he will then comment on. Of course I want Dan back and the gaming channel, but I would rather he retire early than be bitter. Sorry that went dark.
noodlebum
flower crown

autumnhearth wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:29 pm I honestly would rather all joint content end and have us become a small AmazingPhil fandom than for Dan to feel like he has to “give us what we want” at the expense of his comfort and well being. The themes of II and things he said in the commentary still bother me and seem unhealthy. I hope and am inclined to think that this is just a necessary break. My greatest fear is that he is intentionally withholding content as some kind of punishment or experiment that he will then comment on. Of course I want Dan back and the gaming channel, but I would rather he retire early than be bitter. Sorry that went dark.
Yeah, I wouldn't want Dan to force himself to still be a Youtuber or do joint ventures with Phil if he isn't happy doing so. It's not nice to see him miserable in videos. If they both want to do different things in their work at the moment that's fine, but just need to communicate that a bit more, so people aren't waiting & expecting something eventually, maybe, sometime from Dan anywhere at all.

I do like Phil's videos, but admittedly the joint videos/gaming channel was what I enjoyed the most - am all about the bants. They did at least warn us about the gaming channel hiatus. It is really weird how it's only been a month and a half since Xmas and all this played out. Feels like foreverrrr.

Are there any other joint gaming channels people have been enjoying in the meantime? I mean, I don't think anything will replace DAPG for me at the moment, but I do miss watching fun silly gaming with a dash of contagious laughter :P
Amiaw
interactive introvert

i don’t want content at the expense of a bitter or discontent Dan and I really didn’t enjoy the brief time last year where his live shows/internet presence was unhappy BUT at the very least I think it’s reasonable to ask for some kind of indication of if/when we should be expecting a video of any kind of content from Dan.

I know it might seem like everyone has their pitchforks out for Dan but I haven’t seen anyone say they want content at his expense. What I’ve mostly seen is fans tweeting him everyday telling him that they are worried and that they love him but with all of those mentions we still haven’t even had an “I’m fine” from him.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Amiaw wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:49 pm i don’t want content at the expense of a bitter or discontent Dan and I really didn’t enjoy the brief time last year where his live shows/internet presence was unhappy BUT at the very least I think it’s reasonable to ask for some kind of indication of if/when we should be expecting a video of any kind of content from Dan.

I know it might seem like everyone has their pitchforks out for Dan but I haven’t seen anyone say they want content at his expense. What I’ve mostly seen is fans tweeting him everyday telling him that they are worried and that they love him but with all of those mentions we still haven’t even had an “I’m fine” from him.
He has indicated a video, though. He tweeted mid January that he had video ideas, and he mentioned one at the end of his merch email eleven days ago:

Look forward to super cool merch for super cool non-gender-specific-dudes coming soon ..and who knows maybe even a VIDEO.

There's absolutely no realistic way that Dan would give people a date and be able to achieve a video on that date. In the entire span of his youtube career that has historically never happened on any kind of regular reliable basis. I think Dan indicating that there is a video coming is about as good as it's gonna get. He's done that, and recently. I don't think people want a sign of life, because they're ignoring the signs of life present. He's also still active liking tweets on social media so he knows people know he isn't dead.

I have no idea if this silence is for a reason or just him needing time, but if he's doing badly right now I don't think he'd want attention or input from phandom on that. And if he's not he probably still knows an 'I'm fine' would send people into a flurry of either thinking he's lying or thinking because he answered it Means Something.
queerofcups
spork
Pronouns: they | them

So like are we going to consider how many of these complaints are things that the phandom is doing. For example: wondering if Dan is going to be in a Phil video, deciding Dan is going to upload on a specific date or anniversary, deciding that Dan's not tweeting the ~desired~ content but still active on social media because idk the last time he went totally absent it turned into a damn tweet frenzy until he acknowledged that he was alive?

And we're also not going to offer up any alternative readings like mmm perhaps Dan offered up the confirmation that he is, indeed, planning and filming videos so that people wouldn't decide that he's done with youtube. But when he let y'all know that he's still making videos...he's hyping it. And now he's being held to a due date that is wholly fandom's creation.

lol, okay, y'all. keep moving those goal posts.
i miss dan's content, too, but this is a whole other level of lack of self-awareness.
knq
lava lamp

No fear...
autumnhearth wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:29 pm My greatest fear is that he is intentionally withholding content as some kind of punishment or experiment that he will then comment on.
ONE FEAR

Granted I don’t think Dan would do that (a) at all, and (b) as a punishment, but I also didn’t think he was the kind of person to call something a ‘social experiment’ until the II directors commentary.

Communication wouldn’t help the current phandom situation. It’s already been communicated that DAPG is on an indefinite hiatus and Dan may post a video ‘at some point’ which has been the case since whenever it was he brought up the idea of the June video that didn’t happened. Dan’s much more likely to respond with ‘have I ever been fine?’ than ‘I’m fine’ and I can just imagine how badly that would go over. His liking things on Twitter is probably the least explosive way of indicating that he’s fine enough to use a phone and find shitposts funny.

@noodlebum Rose and Rosie have a gaming channel called ‘Let’s Play Games’ that’s very funny, though only occasionally posted to.
noodlebum
flower crown

knq wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:42 pm @noodlebum Rose and Rosie have a gaming channel called ‘Let’s Play Games’ that’s very funny, though only occasionally posted to.
Thanks, I'll have to check them and the channel out when I get home :)
glitterintheair
phillluminati

noodlebum wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:43 pm
knq wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:42 pm @noodlebum Rose and Rosie have a gaming channel called ‘Let’s Play Games’ that’s very funny, though only occasionally posted to.
Thanks, I'll have to check them and the channel out when I get home :)
Their Sims4 series is a must-watch, it's incredibly chaotic (to the point that dnp's gameplay seems like a good one compared to theirs)and also the Keep Talkin' and Nobody Explodes vid; they insult each other the whole time, it's a blast.
fancybum
senpai

This time last year we’d already had a couple of liveshows, had we not? It’s not just lack of dapg that’s making this feel more barren. They cut us off. Liveshows, even when they’re boring, at least have the personal ‘just checking in’ vibe, even if they didn’t tell us any specifics of what they were doing. Like Dan rambling about whatever for awhile before ending with ‘look forward to a video at some point’ would go a long way right about now. But for whatever reason, they’re cutting off their little attempts at (seemingly) more personal, casual interaction. And people are allowed to feel shitty about that. People are allowed to feel shitty that something they loved got thrown in the bin. Just like Dan and Phil are allowed to throw it in the bin. I always kind of laugh at the comments (about any YTers!) that are like ‘this wouldn’t fly in a real job. A ~real ~job wouldn’t Let You get away with this’ as if that isn’t exactly the point of not having a Real Job. Not everybody can handle kissing ass 9-5 with a smile, Brenda.

Anyway, as much as it sucks, I’m not even surprised Dan is semi-ghosting along with the dapg ‘hiatus’. Phil pulled this same thing (last year? the year before?) when Dan said he was taking a liveshow break, and Phil just went and took one too without giving his own warning. They’re inconsiderate - that’s what bad communication is: inconsiderate. But I guess being considerate isn’t required for anything either, so what can you do? I’m not waiting for anything, or expecting anything. They chipped that out of me all through 2018, and I gave up. But I’d definitely like something, whenever, if ever, they feel like giving it.

Also can we take a second to remember Dan saying, before II, that content wouldn’t change throughout, that maybe we’d even be getting more than if they weren’t on tour? I swear he was talking about dinof, but I’m too lazy to fact-check. Either way, look how that turned out. Whatever his intent, his words don’t mean much, so forgive me for taking anything he says about what he might do with a huge grain of salt. All I really see is two people taking an intentional step away from their audience because maybe they found better things to do, and I mean: good for them/that sucks.

But also kind of in Dan’s defense lol: when he said nothing else but dapg would change this time, his channel was already dead. So not much else really has changed, it wasn’t a lie. They’re sneaky like that.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me