Dan & Phil Part 82: now onto the future

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

freesocks wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:39 pm I also agree with Stakhanov. I don’t post here because I’ve repeatedly seen this forum to be incredibly biased and not open to hearing any criticism or differing opinions. Also, I am often made uncomfortable with the way Dan and Phil are discussed here, especially the lengths people go to invade their privacy and the entitlement some seem to think they have to their private lives. The things some people have accused Dan of are downright vile all while invading his privacy repeatedly. He isn’t the only person who disagrees with posters here by a long shot.
Moderator Post

We have very clear rules with regard to Dan and Phil's privacy. If you believe something to be a genuine privacy violation, please report it to a moderator.

This thread is for discussion about Dan and Phil, but if you have (or anyone else has) critique for the forum we do welcome you to make a thread in About This Forum and a moderator will respond accordingly.
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

"But the way he says them is what's bothering people. It's not that hard, guys. "

I'll open with that quote to give an example of how I think that condescending statements are not exclusive to any one person. It's not that hard to just accept that my post are self-righteous, condescending and when I do my best to clarify my position or argue point-counter point on specific arguments that are brought up? How it's maybe condescending if you say I'm an arrogant troll that tries to stir drama? Do you realize how patronizing that is? It's not that hard guys, you just have to accept we are right and you are wrong.
I accept that I sure haven't always expressed myself the best way I could. English is not my first language, and that probably shows in the vocabulary and phrasing in some of my posts. I don't doubt that at times i've come across condescending or argumentative, though that's never my intention and I try my best to be as civil. However, some people are far from civil to me to, and while I understand that in the context of a discussion things can get heated and persons rather than arguments can get targeted, I found the moderation very biased and some of the personal attacks that followed rather exemplary of exactly the things I was charged for.

My thanks to everyone who is willing to post their view about this, because I agree it can be damn intimidating to go against a regular group of posters that set the tone in a forum. But I know that for the few that post, there are many more that lurk and while i'm definitely guilty of being stubborn, I still think it's valuable to put a differing perspective out here. There's already a heavy selection bias in the people of the Dan and Phil fandom community who'll frequent a forum like this, and it's even rarer to see a dissenting opinion being expressed that will cause controverse.

My views are my own and that goes for everyone's views here. I have never claimed there is some single "hivemind" and best as I understand that's not a point anyone is making. I do think there are issues where some group think happens. You're free to disagree about this, but that's how it comes across to me when for example I react to the fact of people calling Dan's blog 'homophobic' or 'gaslighting' or when I tried to make the argument that we perhaps shouldn't attack Phil's anime story as promoting sexism or lolicon and give him some leniency. Regardless of regulations on truth of advertising or what his responsibilities are or aren't according to the law. Because we might not even agree on the things you consider a given, but others don't. E.g. if you can really call what Dan said homophobic or if Phil's recommendation was really meant to endorse all the things that one can criticize a cultural product for.

When I bring up a view like that, I know I can't be the only person thinking about that, yet it often leads people to respond quite uniformely negatively (not always, but often enough that you can quickly get more discussion going and I do try to respond to every specific person - when I can and if I think it's a sincere attempt to exchange ideas). Maybe that's just because it's my particular view, but the fact that other people also find that differing opinions can be hard to voice in this community, as well as the fact that I know that in the broader fandom not everyone thinks that for example Dan's blogs are homophobic and inspired by X or Y's state of mind, leads me to think that it's at least partly also an issue of heterodox views (at least in this little corner of the fandom) are not always met with a fair minded intention to debate specific perspectives.

I'm going to get some sleep. A good night to everyone.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
capybantsa
glabella
Pronouns: he/him

I am fucking livid. In my eyes, this looks almost exactly like what happened to me before when I gave my perspective as a Japanese person in a discussion about Japanese culture, and you guys harassed me and told me how wrong I was until I almost just left the site permanently. Even though I ended up coming back, I've been afraid to give my opinion on a lot of things because I'm afraid of getting ganged up on.

Somebody gave you their opinion about moral obligation of public figures, and instead of considering it and responding respectfully you decided to attack them, gang up on them, call them pejorative sexist terms, and invalidate their opinion because of their gender. Kinda like how you invalidated my opinion because of my race/nationality. You attack his word choices as a foreigner, like how you attacked my word choices as a foreigner.

You guys are just bullies. Your hobby is bullying. Your lifestyle is bullying. Racism and xenophobia and sexism are okay when YOU do it, because you're always right and always justified. I can't believe I kept giving you the benefit of the doubt for so long, even while I was afraid of you.

Mods, you most of all need to take a good hard fucking look at what you're doing. You keep championing bullies and telling their victims to just suck it up.

As for me, I'm gonna go like D&P elsewhere. This website is toxic.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Moderator Post

@capybantsa, disagreements of opinion will happen on this forum and our moderator team generally lets them play out until we are brought into the situation by someone on the forum. In this situation, that is exactly what happened. A post was reported, and we responded to it. If your opinion happens to be in the minority of users involved in the discussion, that is not purposeful action on our behalf.

It has already been requested once that critique or concerns about the forum be addressed to moderators in the appropriate place for it. Your post will remain here, because we have no desire to appear like we're burying your concerns, but this is the final warning: all future posts on this topic will be moved to an appropriately located thread. We are willing to have this conversation with you, provided it can be a respectful dialogue on your concerns - but we will not do so in this thread. This thread is for discussion about Dan and Phil.
dancy
procrastinator

This is all I've got to say
Ablissa
pastel persona

I've had a long post typed out, but I definitely agree with the decision to move this discussion elsewhere.

I think we could all use a change of subject, and maybe some nice deppy content to get us by until Phil posts his next video.
We have nothing current to discuss today, so... Why don't we all link our all time favorite videos?

I'll start. It's hard to pick, but I'll link one that never ever fails to make me smile. It's probably not my ultimate #1, but again, it always makes me happy.

obsessivelymoody
emo goose

Oh god the blindfolded cat face game :happytears: :happytears: :happytears:

For me the Mark of Oxin duology will always have my heart. I mean, I could list several other videos that totally kill me every time but I'll stick to these ones right now. I just remember both dying over this game Phil created and Dan reacting in the same way as me but turned up to 100 because my god he loves Phil )): And I think the whole thing is brilliant. It's got such a lovely personal touch to it, and I think is a really phenomenal thing to put on a gaming channel, especially with an audience as engaged as the phandom. I also love the ripple effect it had in fic, like with references in different fics, or even a secret second game that makes me cry like a baby. Just one of those things I super appreciate exists and makes me so happy from just watching the video and seeing the way the fandom takes it <3

alostan
smol bean

knq wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:27 pm #KINDER PROOF

Sometimes I forget how utterly adorable Dan can be. :love2:

If we’re talking favourite videos, I can’t remember how many times i’ve watched them playing charades!
It includes the classic “boob king”
Phil singing Agadoo
Phil referencing the Antiques Roadshow
The whole pot scene
Dan’s slow descent into madness

Honestly that video is great.

But I do agree, Mark of Odin is a very close second! I love how into it Dan is, and the gameplay is actually quite good!

I actually have no idea how to embedd videos so sorry about that! :oops: Hopefully it worked?
Last edited by alittledizzy on Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed YouTube embed
knq
lava lamp

@alostan Aw yay! The thread was making me sad but spreading the holy message of how freaking cute these two are and were cheers me up. :love2:

Re: Dan’s slow descent into madness, I think Dan was louder in the Charades video they played to save him from having to speak than he is in most other gaming videos. "Agapoo" is my favorite band.

I read the synopses for the first few episodes of the anime dnp were watching and it made me laugh because it's so Dan and Phil. In the first episode the protagonist, who is a slime, befriends a dragon. In the second episode, the slime "swallows" the dragon whole.
starwatersong
phabergé

The even slower descent into madness that is The Impossible Quiz is also a great one... Dan is so cheerful and optimistic in the first episode.

I recommend watching the first one, and then if you’ve seen it before, skipping directly to the last one and watch the contrast!
autumnhearth
senpai

I feel like most of my favorites are cliche (ok probably not the perfect term) Blind Folded Cat Face is definitely one, Festive DITL, Monster Pops, The Impossible Quiz, Pastel Edits IRL, Golf but I’ll go with my favorite gaming video from last year.

Gosh I love frustrated Dan :love2:
Ablissa
pastel persona

obsessivelymoody wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:39 am Oh god the blindfolded cat face game :happytears: :happytears: :happytears:

For me the Mark of Oxin duology will always have my heart. I mean, I could list several other videos that totally kill me every time but I'll stick to these ones right now. I just remember both dying over this game Phil created and Dan reacting in the same way as me but turned up to 100 because my god he loves Phil )): And I think the whole thing is brilliant. It's got such a lovely personal touch to it, and I think is a really phenomenal thing to put on a gaming channel, especially with an audience as engaged as the phandom. I also love the ripple effect it had in fic, like with references in different fics, or even a secret second game that makes me cry like a baby. Just one of those things I super appreciate exists and makes me so happy from just watching the video and seeing the way the fandom takes it <3

Ugh I love Mark of Oxin so much. I put it on sometimes when I go to bed and end up watching the whole thing instead of letting it lull me to sleep. :lol:
I wish they would make a game, a proper game (7sc was fun but it's not a game for people like me who don't have friends lmao, same goes for Truth Bombs) like Mark of Oxin. I think it would be loads of fun.

@alostan oh my gosh, thank you for reminding me of Charades. I LOVE that video with my whole heart.
starwatersong wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:45 am The even slower descent into madness that is The Impossible Quiz is also a great one... Dan is so cheerful and optimistic in the first episode.

I recommend watching the first one, and then if you’ve seen it before, skipping directly to the last one and watch the contrast!
Thanks for the idea. It's not like it's 3 am and I should sleep. Pff. Totally doing this! I remember they were out of their minds by the end of that series.

Speaking of rage and Dan being loud... am I really one of the few people that LOVES Yasuhati??? Yes, it hurts my ears and it's horrible but in the best way. It makes me laugh every single time. I love all 3 and I'm not sure which one I love the most.
Please tell me at least one of you enjoys the amazing torture these videos provide? :lol:

itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

rizzo wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:46 pm
plinthofmylife wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:42 pm In Dan and Phil news:

Phil just sent a members-only post out where he asked for random dates, and said his next video would come out this weekend. I worked very hard to not suggest any demon dates.

Any guesses? Is he gonna try and be a remember-everything-that-happened-that-day person again?

Bless his heart for posting frequently. I really really appreciate it.
I've really been enjoying these posts as well! Both in terms of their content and frequency.

For this post in particular, I was curious to see how many comments it would get since it contained a low-effort "call-to-comment" from Phil. For anyone else who's also interested in this kind of thing, here are the current numbers for all of the members-only posts Phil's made so far:
  • 1/26 - 432 Likes, 377 Comments
  • 1/28 - 406 Likes, 528 Comments
  • 2/3 - 471 Likes, 370 Comments
  • 2/9 - 429 Likes, 412 Comments
  • 2/13 - 303 Likes, 241 Comments
  • 2/16 - 361 Likes, 288 Comments
  • 2/20 - 315 Likes, 835 Comments
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

itasca00 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:47 am
rizzo wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:46 pm
plinthofmylife wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:42 pm In Dan and Phil news:

Phil just sent a members-only post out where he asked for random dates, and said his next video would come out this weekend. I worked very hard to not suggest any demon dates.

Any guesses? Is he gonna try and be a remember-everything-that-happened-that-day person again?

Bless his heart for posting frequently. I really really appreciate it.
I've really been enjoying these posts as well! Both in terms of their content and frequency.

For this post in particular, I was curious to see how many comments it would get since it contained a low-effort "call-to-comment" from Phil. For anyone else who's also interested in this kind of thing, here are the current numbers for all of the members-only posts Phil's made so far:
  • 1/26 - 432 Likes, 377 Comments
  • 1/28 - 406 Likes, 528 Comments
  • 2/3 - 471 Likes, 370 Comments
  • 2/9 - 429 Likes, 412 Comments
  • 2/13 - 303 Likes, 241 Comments
  • 2/16 - 361 Likes, 288 Comments
  • 2/20 - 315 Likes, 835 Comments
I love these kinds of numbers. It makes me intensely curious to know how many people are members but don't comment at all. I finally caved, but didn't. I still think people who do leave a comment would be a far lesser number than people who are members but don't bother or don't see the post in time to consider it worth even low effort. I mean, not that this is entirely comparable but his last video has almost 500k views but only 6300 comments.

As far as favorite videos... I don't know if I'd say this is my absolute favorite one, but it is for some reason what immediately popped into my mind so I'm gonna roll with it. They were in such a good mood in this video.

lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

I mentioned this video here recently; this is my favorite Dan video:

I saw on tumblr that today is the 10-year anniversary of this video, one of my faves from Phil:
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

I'm back with more videos because I was in a ~mood to watch them a lot tonight.

Viewers pick my outfits is just fucking good. Very questionable choices, but Dan's comments and all the piss-taking he does has me soft. And I love Phil being silly and stepping out of his comfort zone a little. Still forever perplexed why they get shirtless (or pantless lol) to wear the cheese costume...

Festive ditl is not only my favourite ditl but also one of my ultimate comfort videos by them. It's just so lovely and natural, and I love seeing them share little traditions with us. A very domestic video for the time too <3

The Japan haul just has me so soft. We get to hear more about their trip, have them fight over things, and be all grossly cute. The bit where Dan opens his mouth and Phil immediately feeds him the rest of the cookie he was eating k i l l s me.

I have such a soft spot for punk edits. I'm not sure why, but I love it a lot. I'm about 7 mil of those 10 mil views honestly. There's some real cringey comments, but I think it holds up and Dan's anal fingering/fisting joke actually does kill me every time.
starwatersong
phabergé

Another favourite.. Phil’s blatant taking advantage of the situation, Dan and the lipstick, and Phil’s failure to open the blush container amuses me every time. :lol:

Phantasy
woodland creature

I love the “try new things” side channel videos—just cute slice of life fluff (that usually involves making Dan uncomfortable). My fav by far is Phil Lester vs. Praying Mantis... just 2 bros on their couples holiday acting silly (and a bit camp) around an insect, with a slightly buzzed Dan...glorious.
dontpanic
#relatable

oooooohhh this reminds me of a similar topic... what are y'all's favorite videos/vlogs of other youtubers that Dan and Phil turn up in?

I recently rewatched the spa day vlog of Cat's and I found it weirdly charming
kavat
pastel persona

One of my favorite gaming vids will forever be Can your pet. I love how invested Dan gets and how mischievous Phil is.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

@Ablissa I love Yasuhati too! It makes me cry with laughter every time; I just love it so much because it's so chaotic and Dan's reaction to Phil's noises is PRICELESS.

In general, I don't think anything will ever top the masterpiece that Festive DITL was, but I am very fond of that mess that was the Final Google Feud last year:

"Why do they call it spoons?" :rofl:
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Oh, so many good choices. Phil is so funny at the beginning of Can Your Pet especially, the wiggling, the faces he makes, I’ve never seen him behave like that before or since. Also Japan Haul was their first joint video when I fell down the rabbithole, it has a special little place in my heart.

I’m gonna go off what I can remember loving cos if I go look I’ll be curating a top 10 list all day. First up, and 4th on the tubes if you search just ‘pumpkin cookies’ is the sparkiest baking with the most jokes per moment, though I was sad when Dan said ‘fast forward through the decorating process’ cos I’ve always loved watching them get so into the decorating, the adorable beans that they are.

One of my fave Dan videos partly cos of what he shows in the thumbnail, Dan get nude and that bod is one I’d happily squish (with consent, so never, obvs). Found 15 videos down by searching ‘Dan too hot’. He is also just hella funny as usual, wears one of my favourite tops, the patchwork one that everyone else hated, and forgets how bad ice cubes down the pants was in the old truth or dare video, silly boy.

From Phil, the old favourite Lost at the Mall!;_; The bit of him lying on the floor gets me every time, you go along thinking he’s so goofy, all wide-eyed and cute, and then he brings out the rest of his personality whether it’s lampshading, sarcasm or what. That bit in Pinof 6 when they swapped T-shirts and did impressions of each other was the best example of that, pretending to be Dan having an existential crisis, ‘oh it burns, it burns my mind!’ I’d never seen him be so sharp. This mall video also features some good snacks.

Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

The video I could watch over and over again a million times :

A video I always come back to :

And one of my favourite AmazingPhil videos because it was one of the first videos I've really watched and because it just makes me laugh so much!

:gayaf:
liola
rankussy

I don't know if this is like, my absolute favourite video, but this is the one I have rewatched over and over, time and time again.

There's just something so nice about this video, I love the colours, I love how cheeky they get with the balls innuendos, I love the way they watch each other play and how they interact gaming together. There's just something soft about this video, and sometimes when I'm having major anxiety I put this on.

Another that I watch a lot during anxious nights to fall asleep to is

Bubble Bobble just makes me soft, I adore that it's a longer one, they're very soft spoken in a lot of parts, the colors are pretty and gaming together <3

There is something about the christmas of 2016 that catches my attention. I think it's them transitioning into a more personal version of themselves following the post-baking universe time, the post BONCAs universe, and also the post TATINOF universe. Those videos have a specific vibe to them, still different than before that time but also not quite the one we're used to now.
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
noodlebum
flower crown

I love the Yasuhati ones, especially I think the first one, where Dan was particularly horrified by Phil's noises ("help me...")

Also list alert: pubg, getting over it, dan plays outlast, happy wheels, gangbeasts, job simulator, hello neighbour, crash bandicoot hardest level, donkey kong, the first couple of sims ones, the jungle sims, photobooth challenge, how i got fired, panic alarm, awkward fancy meal, monster pops, both of their baby video reactions, viewers pick my outfits, punk edits, phil makes slime, why i was a weird child series, obama llama, dog calendar bts, blindfolded cat face, mukbang, ditl japan, dinof9 (and bloopers), radio show blind mans buff, radio show showjumping, singing always.

I noticed the video where Dan is playing Sonic 4 and Phil keeps annoying him had been privated, but I like that one too.