Dan & Phil Part 82: now onto the future

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

And a bonus:
FlegmaticSimon
drama llama

That was a great tweet. I hope Phil has a wonderful birthday! I wonder what his cake will look like… Quiff-shaped perhaps? :lol:
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

Extremely cute. Will he plz tell me that Dan took it so I can rest easier...?
Ablissa
pastel persona

plinthofmylife wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:46 pm Extremely cute. Will he plz tell me that Dan took it so I can rest easier...?
There is no way they're spending Phil's birthday apart, you can be at peace. But I do want a joint selfie desperately.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

I'm really starting to doubt Dan's existence. Like, in general. I think we all dreamed him and all of his tweets are being written by a bot.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

@Ablissa I should probably examine why two British nerds' co-dependence matters to me so much, but I can definitely say I would be more at peace if *someone* (cough Cornelia) would let us know Danny boy is up on IoM too.

Tumblr's tweets about phil is really cute with excellent dog content.
liola
rankussy

At this point the lack of pictures or stories with their faces in it almost feels deliberate. They know their audience and must have seen the amount of tweets demanding a joint pic or something. Is it a new strategy, like trying to take the phandom off the habit of expecting things from them?

With how much they seem to except us to read between the lines I feel like I'm participating in an exam without really signing up or ever taking the class for it
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
PolarFox
truth bomb

:happytears: I came here for deppy, I’m staying for Juniper
Awww! You clicked on my signature!
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I’ve been wondering that too @liola back of my mind also wondering other things, but I try not to catastrophise.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

liola wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:20 pm At this point the lack of pictures or stories with their faces in it almost feels deliberate. They know their audience and must have seen the amount of tweets demanding a joint pic or something. Is it a new strategy, like trying to take the phandom off the habit of expecting things from them?

With how much they seem to except us to read between the lines I feel like I'm participating in an exam without really signing up or ever taking the class for it
It really feels like being in an exam and I hate it, tbh.

If they're trying to take the phandom off the habit of expecting things, I am not sure that going from basically daily content to crumbs was the right choice. It should've been more gradual and now I'm gonna stop now before I get grumpy again.
roasteddnp
not a first-time poster

glitterintheair wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:38 pm
liola wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:20 pm At this point the lack of pictures or stories with their faces in it almost feels deliberate. They know their audience and must have seen the amount of tweets demanding a joint pic or something. Is it a new strategy, like trying to take the phandom off the habit of expecting things from them?

It really feels like being in an exam and I hate it, tbh.

If they're trying to take the phandom off the habit of expecting things, I am not sure that going from basically daily content to crumbs was the right choice. It should've been more gradual and now I'm gonna stop now before I get grumpy again.
To be honest, I wouldn't read to into it. It being Phil's birthday, I'm sure they just want to focus on being together and enjoying the day, especially with them being in the IoM with Phil's family.
CapriciousCrab
sad dimple

I agree, it does seem a bit calculated. I'm just trying to understand what the goal is. Is it to get phandom to back off? Are they edging toward less public and more private lives?
Are they allergic to communication? :shrug:
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

PolarFox wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:21 pm :happytears: I came here for deppy, I’m staying for Juniper
DNP who? I only stan Juniper.

I'm not going to catastrophize the amount of (not) content we're getting. Bdays are always pretty quiet from them, and they're usually pretty quiet when they're with Phil's fam. I WOULD like dan to acknowledge where he is because I'm :garbage:

Relatedly: my and like 10000 other people's hope is that Phil gets a Corgi for his bday sometime this week (maybe later once they're home and not on IoM) but that seems unlikely...
glitterintheair
phillluminati

roasteddnp wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:44 pm To be honest, I wouldn't read to into it. It being Phil's birthday, I'm sure they just want to focus on being together and enjoying the day, especially with them being in the IoM with Phil's family.
I think it feels weird because it's something that has been going on since the year started, it's not just today. The reason is probably "obvious" in dnp's minds but it's not in mine.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

plinthofmylife wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:52 pm
PolarFox wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:21 pm :happytears: I came here for deppy, I’m staying for Juniper
DNP who? I only stan Juniper.

I'm not going to catastrophize the amount of (not) content we're getting. Bdays are always pretty quiet from them, and they're usually pretty quiet when they're with Phil's fam. I WOULD like dan to acknowledge where he is because I'm :garbage:

Relatedly: my and like 10000 other people's hope is that Phil gets a Corgi for his bday sometime this week (maybe later once they're home and not on IoM) but that seems unlikely...
I agree with this. This is really normal birthday activity level. Last year people were absolutely flipping their shit because Dan waited very late to post, full on predicting they'd broken up based on Dan's tweet not happening by midday. In reality it was just because Phil's parents were in town and they were doing things all day and Dan was waiting until after cake time. This year they're on IoM, with Phil's family again, and presumably doing things all day again. It's only 7 pm there - they probably haven't even had dinner and cake, and would you expect Phil not to make cake his sole purpose?

Basically, as much as we were all putting a lot of stock in today as a day we'd get content, it's not that surprising that we haven't (yet). I do think there might still be some stuff at the end of the day - Phil always takes some time to like and retweet some stuff on twitter, which he hasn't done yet, and ig stories opens a lot more doors. But even if that doesn't happen - it's not out of character for them in birthday mode. I wouldn't catastrophize anything based on this.
glitterintheair wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:59 pm
roasteddnp wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:44 pm To be honest, I wouldn't read to into it. It being Phil's birthday, I'm sure they just want to focus on being together and enjoying the day, especially with them being in the IoM with Phil's family.
I think it feels weird because it's something that has been going on since the year started, it's not just today. The reason is probably "obvious" in dnp's minds but it's not in mine.
You posted while I was still typing mine out but also - today specifically - I don't think Dan and Phil are doing anything on purpose, I don't think they're viewing this as out of the ordinary at all. I just think everything feels magnified and ominous for phandom because we're all waiting on the big unknowns to be cleared up and want something that feels reassuring.
fancybum
senpai

CapriciousCrab wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:46 pm
I agree, it does seem a bit calculated. I'm just trying to understand what the goal is. Is it to get phandom to back off? Are they edging toward less public and more private lives?
Are they allergic to communication? :shrug:
I don’t know about the other two, but the last question gets a YES, YES THEY ARE. It’s nice (..if we redefine nice) that they’re at least bringing one thing into 2019 that we can consistently expect from them. Of course it had to be the worst thing lol.

But I mean it’s Phil’s birthday and we got the tweet and a Phil pic. If there’s one day people shouldn’t have to do more than the bare minimum for work, it’s a birthday. And in honour of the (multi-)national holiday that is Phil Lester’s birthday, I will take a break from my overwhelming general annoyance until Feb 1 :tu:
(Yes the holiday gets 2 days)
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
liola
rankussy

glitterintheair wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:59 pm
Yes, exactly. That's what I meant with "it feels deliberate". Granted, I'm sick and miserable today so that could be it, but rewatching the IDB instagram stories playlists, the last time we saw each of them showing up in the other person's insta story was back from Manchester around the 11th. And after that it's been faceless stories and barely there content besides the one story of Phil showing us his haircut and the one story of Dan jogging.

I know we were still in the christmas break period but It just feels like they're sending a message that they don't want us to see them, it's not even about joint content in particular, though I do feel that loss even more so after an entire year of almost daily content coupled with gaming videos - we've now lost both and I guess i'm just feeling that loss now.

And we go back to them being shit at communication not that it's anything new
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
Ablissa
pastel persona

It wouldn't make any sense for them to suddenly withdraw everything they've been building over the past... Four years? Since the creation of dapg. Since then, they've worked to establish themselves as a unit, and have been more open with us while maintaining a high level of privacy.
It wouldn't make sense for them to suddenly decide to cancel all of that out and quit being a unit/quit sharing their life with us, cold turkey, just because it's a new year. The build up to them being a joint brand was gradual and even if they changed their mind (which is not likely), it would be gradual to change back to being two separate people as well.

I'm super impatient myself, but let's not freak out. They're fine, they're happy, they'll come back.
CapriciousCrab
sad dimple

I'd love if they came back with a baking channel :please:
knq
lava lamp

I meant to make a post of Dan's birthday tweets to Phil like 2 hours ago but I got distracted by a tweet about a nakedbooth in 2010 and the conversation moved on. oop

The evolution of Dan's (still online) Phil birthday tweets: 2016's "dw guys i've got the cake covered" feels vaguely threatening having seen the 2018 cake.
hello9217
flower crown

Last year we got a joint selfie on the 29th and that was because they went to see Hamilton and then the next joint pic was advertising new merch. I think the difference however is that last year we still got interactions on dnpgames and dan posted a video so this space in-between was not as stark. I'm trying really hard to not think too much into it based on the things we have been told.
-Dnpgames is on hiatus
-Dan is on break from his channel but is still thinking of videos ideas
-Dan posted a pic of himself 8 days ago on a run
-Dan helped phil set up dan's new filming space
-Dan referred to phil's bday plans as a royal tour, implying that he was part of it
I think putting a hold on dnpgames makes the content feel vastly more stark. Of course I want to know what they're doing but I also understand that perhaps the things they are working on are not yet ready to be voiced.

Now onto a more negative note so stop reading here if you're don't want to read anything negative. In reply to @Ablissa it could be argued that they did try to ease us into separate branding all the way back to the first show in Brighton when they mentioned that there may be a point where dan wants to do his own thing and phil do what he wants. Now after people online freaked out over this, it was never mentioned again. So perhaps they realized they needed to come up with a different strategy and that could be just not mentioning anything at all.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Update: I got grumpy again so my post below is just me being frustrated as hell, proceed accordingly.

Now more than ever I wish dan and phil were just like any other normal youtubers, like the ones who inform people in advance when they intend to post videos, the ones who post ig stories and pics without tight shots and weird angles or whatever the hell, the ones who are clear and transparent in their actions, the ones who don't make their fandom freak out over every single thing, fueling drama, theories and conspiracies. Now you could say "but it's not dnp's fault if their fandom is a wrecked mess" and I agree but I still stand by the fact that this fandom would be definitely more chill if things were a bit clearer.
Is it unfair to say, especially considering the history between dnp and their fanbase? Probably. But that's how I feel and I can't help it.
I'm realizing that I'm getting more and more tired of all of this, you know? I'm done with overanalysing, waiting for things, doubting and speculating. It was funny at the beginning, but now... meh.
Okay, rant over.
scientia
phabergé

Haven’t seen many people saying it so far so :rainbow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY PHIL :rainbow:
flarequake
not an airport stalker

My wondering if they're being quieter on purpose isn't just from today, though it only occurred to me maybe today as I've been worrying about my own goals and procrastination/tiredness/arm and back pain, and feeling a bit removed lately anyway. As usual since we don't know and have possible crumbs like saying that at the first ii show, we can only speculate which might be interesting, but can also be a waste of our time and energy especially if it bothers us. They might come back in a few days with a cute photo, maybe soon they'll give us some info on what they've been up to, planning something new or just taking a bigger break and we'll feel better for knowing and maybe feel bad for being bothered about it. But I think they could prevent some of the reaction if they told us the basics "we're stepping back a bit, had a big year" or "yikes, video making is harder in some way these days" and we'd understand.

Do hope they're having a good, chill day. :happybirthday: to Mr Amazing :birthday: