Dan & Phil Part 82: now onto the future

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Locked
User avatar
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Posts: 5144
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:09 pm
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Dan & Phil Part 82: now onto the future

Post by alittledizzy » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:38 am

flarequake wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:33 am
I hadn’t had that guess at all, would they really cut off that much of their audience like that? I hope not. I took that to mean that his liveshows on YouTube were on his side channel, nothing more occurred to me (though how much ever does tbh). Numbers would be higher for a joint channel, but memberships for Phil’s channel turned out to be in the low-mid hundreds? Maybe, anyway, we don’t really know, but compared to 4K as the lowest number for a liveshow audience once they were also on YouTube/tumblr, huge lot of people who wouldn’t see them, at least at the time. Makes it easier for them to see the chat and gives them the monies, but how many people would be put off them by something like that being behind a paywall? I mean not just unable to pay but turned off them as fans, tbh, cos I think I would be after they’ve been freely available for years, different if it had always been like that (eg Thomas Sanders). I can see them using the memberships like they did with superchat for the gaming channel, not sure if that feature’s still there. Those premieres with people chatting with a few days’ notice of an upcoming video, some like them I guess, but I tend to ignore them.
I think membership numbers are much higher than the low-mid hundreds for Phil. People willing/eager to engage are always the vocal minority with things like that. I think far more people want to give their five dollars just to support him or get access but don't actually have video suggestions or care about notices.

I don't think I'd really love if liveshows were behind a paywall but if youtube revenue is lacking that much then that'd be the thing they could offer that would definitely get people to fork over the cash.



plinthofmylife
phabergé
Posts: 297
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:41 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: USA

Re: Dan & Phil Part 82: now onto the future

Post by plinthofmylife » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:09 am

alittledizzy wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:38 am
I think membership numbers are much higher than the low-mid hundreds for Phil.
As resident "my job is kinda close to Phil's job and also I am a nerd about numbers" - I'm gonna say that's almost guaranteed he has at least ~1500+ members. I have more members (not via youtube but patreon) than the low/mid hundreds that for my own content and I'm 1/3,000,000th as big as Phil.

PJ, who has an engaged audience but still less engaged/needy than AP has more patreon backers than that. Other youtubers I know with memberships that are much smaller in both views and subs have memberships in the thousands (Jessica Out of the Closet for example.)

I'm also a member that hasn't commented/engaged so there must be more of me.
Image

Ablissa
pastel persona
Posts: 1374
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 5:49 pm
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Dan & Phil Part 82: now onto the future

Post by Ablissa » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:29 am

I have Phil's membership thing, because it's really cheap in my country and I'm happy to support him. I want him to be successful with that, so I hope he does have more members - I'd imagine @alittledizzy and @plinthofmylife must be right, because I really can't believe he'd have ~500 members. A youtuber like Phil can pull way more than that.

One thing to take into consideration is that some people offer quite cool perks through memberships or patreon. I'm not sure about the people @plinthofmylife mentioned (and I'm too lazy to check oops), but in general, sometimes it's really worth paying some money for those perks.
In Phil's case, the perks are kinda small. I consider that to be a good thing, because he clearly doesn't want to create a divide within his audience, but like... the occasional (admittedly cute and nice) post, the chance to suggest videos and a cactus emoji next to your name is not a big perk - which might make some people less inclined to subscribe, I guess? I'm no expert at all, just guessing here. :)

But yeah, pretty thrilled about the wording he chose to use about liveshows. Maybe there is hope for us yet in that department :ribena:

:rainbow: While I'm here, SPON for tomorrow's (Sunday, Feb 10th) watch fest! :rainbow:
It's our IDB only watch fest and it will be open the whole day. The thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=1646
We're watching PREDICTING MY FUTURE! and DAB AND EVAN 'MESS AROUND'!
Hope to see you there <3

flarequake
three-coloured eyes
Posts: 2164
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:55 pm
Pronouns: She/her
Location: London, UK

Re: Dan & Phil Part 82: now onto the future

Post by flarequake » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:45 am

Numbers aside, and those are all good points, still it seems a shame, but if it’s that or they don’t bother, then yeah, I guess we can take it or leave it.

I’m also right now coming at this from
“if I can get my arm and back pain, and mind to calm down consistently, maybe I can actually earn a living” which has me yet again trying not to despair.

User avatar
knq
haru pillow
Posts: 799
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:42 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: Dan & Phil Part 82: now onto the future

Post by knq » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:48 am

I'm guessing low membership numbers are based on how many people thumbs up/like Phil's community posts at the moment? I'd be surprised if membership was that low, but membership benefits at the moment don't seem set up for anyone other than fans who are just looking for a way to support Phil and have the money, as there's not really exclusive content for members.

Safiya just opened membership on Youtube as well. I looked at the comments under the video and people seem pleased with the price ($1.99 instead of the usual $4.99) and she's going to start weekly livestreams for members.

I'm trying not to be extremely jealous of her fans. I want weekly livestreams. :snow:

User avatar
bluewho
truth bomb
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:44 pm
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Dan & Phil Part 82: now onto the future

Post by bluewho » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:29 am

@lefthandedism watching that old dinof video made me sad because I miss him and his videos sm :-? It was nice to see it again, I think it's definitely clear in the video he can slip into different characters very well, although I do think his female characters are often overexaggerated for comic effect and not necessarily very realistic. I would tend to agree with the point that him playing female characters well/frequently is not necessarily connected to expressing femininity. I don't even see him painting his nails or talking about make up as expressing some innate feeling of femininity he has - I think it has more to do with him seeing these activities as not gendered and something anyone should be able to do without being gendered as a result. I think it was a step away from being gendered rather than an expression of femininity. Wow, I do write a lot of nonsense when I allow myself to, there are a lot of words here, I'm rambling, where was I...

Yes I'm sad. Because I don't think Dan's heart is in his youtube channel anymore at all, and the fact that we haven't had good content like the human interaction video on dinof in a long time is proof of that. (Is he even coming back to dinof at all? :tinfoil: ) Anyway I do think that Dan's half assed content (cough internet support group cough) does bring the channel down compared to the good videos and isn't necessarily that engaging, it does tend to also produce a lot of moaning. And the moaning makes him even more nervous about uploading and the cycle repeats. Anyway I just want him to go and find and and do what he is passionate about because I think this is what will allow him to finally reaccess his creativity and make Good Content TM.

Liveshows behinds a paywall would make me even sadder, but lbr someone would upload a free recorded copy of the liveshow somewhere anyway so it wouldn't really be an end to a large part of the phandom being able to watch it for free.

I hope they are moving, and since busgate I'm just going to agree with the consensus on here because you guys are right more often than you're wrong.
@flarequake don't despair :hugrb:

Phantasy
eclipse shirt
Posts: 386
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:33 am

Re: Dan & Phil Part 82: now onto the future

Post by Phantasy » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:24 am

Is anyone keen to the theory that perhaps Dan is writing a book? Would certainly explain the absence. Perhaps a book is a better vehicle to capture his long form waffles on certain subjects or about himself (especially the areas he’s drawn boundaries around for channel videos).

lionandllama
squish
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:44 pm

Re: Dan & Phil Part 82: now onto the future

Post by lionandllama » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:41 am

Ablissa wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:00 pm
Semi interesting reply about liveshows.
His wording kinda implies there might be liveshows in other places?
Image
He seems to have deleted that comment now, only leaving behind the member’s comment with a like. What does that mean. lol

Also, the discussion on these last few pages was really interesting to read and I found myself agreeing with many things that have been said.
Solo Dan content was what made me subscribe to both of them back in 2012, it was the shipping video. Doesn’t really count as just a solo video I guess, but y’know what I mean.
I always enjoyed Dan’s solo content more than Phil’s and Dan’s videos were the ones I would show my friends to introduce them to dnp, with the dnpgames videos being the follow-up. My friends really loved the gaming videos and found Dan’s solo content funny but never really liked Phil’s solo content.
I think it’s because Dan’s humour is just more mainstream. He’s the relatable guy after all.

I’ve never really been a fan of lol so random XD stuff and that’s how I’d describe a lot of Phil’s content. Didn’t like the Fiverr video much because it’s just another uninspired YT trend and he picked the most boring things. I only watch these videos because I do really like Phil and somewhat enjoy seeing him having fun but the content itself wasn’t my cup of tea. He showed some interesting, funny offers (like the gay birthday video which would’ve been so perfect after he just turned 32) and then did not pick those but chose real trash for 5£ without even reading the description properly.
He seems to be planning on making more of those easy Fiverr videos and I just really hope he’ll pay for something interesting next time.

User avatar
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Posts: 789
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:27 pm
Pronouns: he / him

Re: Dan & Phil Part 82: now onto the future

Post by Stakhanov » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:16 am

@bluewho
Thanks bluewho, I don't think what you say is nonsense at all. I wanted to make the same point and have wondered about Dan's gender identity myself, but don't think there is really enough information out there to say much and don't think the behavior that @lefthandedism mentions is necessarily indicative of Dan expressing a transgender self.
(Disclaimer: the following criticism is not aimed at you personally @lefthandedism and is not restricted to your post but more of a comment on things I've seen written around Dan's gender within the fandom at large )

The problem I see with bringing up nail polish, (rather cliché) female characters in sketches (I miss them so much :( ) and Dan wearing dresses in support of any claims about his gender identity, is that they only really mean something if you start from a very gendered view of these behaviors. If one says "interesting he seems to be comfortable wearing nail polish" and connects that behavior with gender, it's implied that nail polish is a marker of (identifying as) that gender. Otherwise why bring it up in that context?

This is exactly what some guys and girls are brought up to believe: nail polish is for girls. People in the fandom don't intend to police his gender but in using this to make claims about his identity they ironically enforce the idea of nail polish being "not for straight cis guys.". One is essentially relying on the validity of a stereotype to argue "hey look Dan doesn't conform to this stereotype this must mean something!".

Apart from that more principled objection, I think we should also exercise caution in reading to much into relatively infrequent behaviors that might be triggered by a specific social context. In the case of nail polish, there were multiple people at different occasions suggesting they try it, and libraries full of tweets expressing immense joy and the hope they would some day do it. So it's very likely they caught wind this is something that some people really would have liked to see and gave the people what they wanted. Much like when they showcased their pastel personalities, I wouldn't assume it's a sign of their true identity.

Wearing that dress also happened within a very specific context. I don't think when some guy youtubers meet up in private they tend to spontaneously undress to their boxers/ wear dresses and start dancing in lines for the audiences' entertainment. This was clearly part of the Stickaid shtick, and while I think it's noble Dan was willing to dance in a dress for charity, I wouldn't think his choice to wear a dress at that occasion reveals some inner desire to express a feminine identity.
Dan is also a bit of theater guy (or at least that seemed to be one of his major hobbies as a teen), and wearing dresses is a bit of an old trick in theater. I've done it myself with a bunch of other guys and it's usually done for comedic effect (and good fun to do). It's got a long history within the art. Men dressing up as women was a mainstay in Elizabethan England, in which it was considered unthinkable that a woman would lower herself to being seen on stage pretending to be another woman in public. That’s was "a man’s job", especially as so many plays contained saucy humor.

I'm not saying any of these medieval beliefs or current traditions inspired Dan when he scripted Becky or Rebecca. We can only guess as to why he chose those characters and depictions. However I also see no reason to suspect an underlying questioning of his gender identity motivating that choice.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly

Ablissa
pastel persona
Posts: 1374
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 5:49 pm
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Dan & Phil Part 82: now onto the future

Post by Ablissa » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:29 am

@flarequake :hugrb: I'm crossing my fingers for you.
lionandllama wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:41 am
Ablissa wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:00 pm
Semi interesting reply about liveshows.
His wording kinda implies there might be liveshows in other places?
Image
He seems to have deleted that comment now, only leaving behind the member’s comment with a like. What does that mean. lol
I just checked and the comment is still there! These comments are all weird sometimes, they come and go as they please. I don't know why. I thought my comments were deleted several times but they were still there somewhere.
Anyway, I'm glad he hasn't deleted it. The wording is specific enough to make me feel hopeful.
Image
Also a fun like:
Image

:babuse: Everyone, remember our IDB watch fest is today! Come watch the vids and chat about them. It's a pretty random pair of videos, but they're both good! <3
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=1646

lionandllama
squish
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:44 pm

Re: Dan & Phil Part 82: now onto the future

Post by lionandllama » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:56 am

Ablissa wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:29 am
@flarequake :hugrb: I'm crossing my fingers for you.
lionandllama wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:41 am
Ablissa wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:00 pm
Semi interesting reply about liveshows.
His wording kinda implies there might be liveshows in other places?
Image
He seems to have deleted that comment now, only leaving behind the member’s comment with a like. What does that mean. lol
I just checked and the comment is still there! These comments are all weird sometimes, they come and go as they please. I don't know why. I thought my comments were deleted several times but they were still there somewhere.
Anyway, I'm glad he hasn't deleted it. The wording is specific enough to make me feel hopeful.
Image
Oh thank you!
I’m always on the YouTube app on my phone and the membership section is all kinds of fucked up.

That’s all I get:

Image

I refreshed several times and his comment still doesn’t show up.
And sometimes I only see that weirdly placed “AmazingPhil” with the little tick on the left side of comments without the actual heart with his profile pic and I have to guess wether he liked that comment or not. lol Thanks, YT app.

User avatar
Tottrie
squish
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed May 16, 2018 2:45 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Sweden

Re: Dan & Phil Part 82: now onto the future

Post by Tottrie » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:21 pm

Stakhanov wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:16 am
@bluewho
Thanks bluewho, I don't think what you say is nonsense at all. I wanted to make the same point and have wondered about Dan's gender identity myself, but don't think there is really enough information out there to say much and don't think the behavior that @lefthandedism mentions is necessarily indicative of Dan expressing a transgender self.
(Disclaimer: the following criticism is not aimed at you personally @lefthandedism and is not restricted to your post but more of a comment on things I've seen written around Dan's gender within the fandom at large )

The problem I see with bringing up nail polish, (rather cliché) female characters in sketches (I miss them so much :( ) and Dan wearing dresses in support of any claims about his gender identity, is that they only really mean something if you start from a very gendered view of these behaviors. If one says "interesting he seems to be comfortable wearing nail polish" and connects that behavior with gender, it's implied that nail polish is a marker of (identifying as) that gender. Otherwise why bring it up in that context?

This is exactly what some guys and girls are brought up to believe: nail polish is for girls. People in the fandom don't intend to police his gender but in using this to make claims about his identity they ironically enforce the idea of nail polish being "not for straight cis guys.". One is essentially relying on the validity of a stereotype to argue "hey look Dan doesn't conform to this stereotype this must mean something!".

Apart from that more principled objection, I think we should also exercise caution in reading to much into relatively infrequent behaviors that might be triggered by a specific social context. In the case of nail polish, there were multiple people at different occasions suggesting they try it, and libraries full of tweets expressing immense joy and the hope they would some day do it. So it's very likely they caught wind this is something that some people really would have liked to see and gave the people what they wanted. Much like when they showcased their pastel personalities, I wouldn't assume it's a sign of their true identity.

Wearing that dress also happened within a very specific context. I don't think when some guy youtubers meet up in private they tend to spontaneously undress to their boxers/ wear dresses and start dancing in lines for the audiences' entertainment. This was clearly part of the Stickaid shtick, and while I think it's noble Dan was willing to dance in a dress for charity, I wouldn't think his choice to wear a dress at that occasion reveals some inner desire to express a feminine identity.
Dan is also a bit of theater guy (or at least that seemed to be one of his major hobbies as a teen), and wearing dresses is a bit of an old trick in theater. I've done it myself with a bunch of other guys and it's usually done for comedic effect (and good fun to do). It's got a long history within the art. Men dressing up as women was a mainstay in Elizabethan England, in which it was considered unthinkable that a woman would lower herself to being seen on stage pretending to be another woman in public. That’s was "a man’s job", especially as so many plays contained saucy humor.

I'm not saying any of these medieval beliefs or current traditions inspired Dan when he scripted Becky or Rebecca. We can only guess as to why he chose those characters and depictions. However I also see no reason to suspect an underlying questioning of his gender identity motivating that choice.
Yes to this!

I think it's important to separate objects and interests from gender. Anyone should be able to wear nail polish (or any other "girly" things) and not be named a girl (not that anyone has done that here explicitly, it is just my opinion generally).

I once talked to a guy that was questioning his gender and when we had talked for a while it came up that the main reason he was questioning was because he liked to bake and sew. Men can like those things too, it's just our society that has made us belive that that's interests for women.

Dan can identify as whatever gender he wants, and I will support him. I just hope that the our arguments are better based.

User avatar
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Posts: 5144
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:09 pm
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Dan & Phil Part 82: now onto the future

Post by alittledizzy » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:50 pm

I'm here for Phil liking the dildo mention.

Instagram story from this morning, for posterity:
And did we talk about their mention in Tomska's video? I saw uproar over the dick size joke on tumblr that just gave me a mild headache. If people don't know what kind of humor to expect from Tom by now... take it or leave it, but it's not worth getting upset over imo.

User avatar
lefthandedism
inveterate introvert
inveterate introvert
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:16 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: California

Re: Dan & Phil Part 82: now onto the future

Post by lefthandedism » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:27 pm

alittledizzy wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:50 pm

And did we talk about their mention in Tomska's video? I saw uproar over the dick size joke on tumblr that just gave me a mild headache. If people don't know what kind of humor to expect from Tom by now... take it or leave it, but it's not worth getting upset over imo.
We didn't!

at 6:44


I thought it was pretty funny (and interesting that it was exactly along the lines of the phandom's remarks on the subject). It was also one of the mildest jokes in the video.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."

User avatar
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Posts: 789
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:27 pm
Pronouns: he / him

Re: Dan & Phil Part 82: now onto the future

Post by Stakhanov » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:03 pm

Tottrie wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:21 pm
Dan can identify as whatever gender he wants, and I will support him. I just hope that the our arguments are better based.
Amen.

It's an ok joke by Tomska but yea one of the milder ones, I wonder if he just didn't find much inspiration at the moment or just didn't want to deal with an even bigger army of outraged phannie zealots by make a cruder joke.
I can only imagine how many times 'woke' virtue signalers will have to cancel him now. How dare he joke about kids and cancer, rape, kidnapping, the disabled, colonization, .... he must be a monster !
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly

User avatar
lesterchuu
philussy
Posts: 486
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:42 pm
Pronouns: he/she/they
Location: canada

Re: Dan & Phil Part 82: now onto the future

Post by lesterchuu » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:59 pm

lefthandedism wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:27 pm
alittledizzy wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:50 pm

And did we talk about their mention in Tomska's video? I saw uproar over the dick size joke on tumblr that just gave me a mild headache. If people don't know what kind of humor to expect from Tom by now... take it or leave it, but it's not worth getting upset over imo.
We didn't!

at 6:44


I thought it was pretty funny (and interesting that it was exactly along the lines of the phandom's remarks on the subject). It was also one of the mildest jokes in the video.
lol i saw a clip of it floating around on twitter couple days ago and did a double take, so i had to go over to toms video and watch it. it was funny and the execution was so simple yet effective....tom knows the phandom too well.

----------------------------

#sponwarning

📌 we're having our bi-weekly IDB watch fest today! well be watching and discussing PREDICTING MY FUTURE! and DAB AND EVAN 'MESS AROUND' so hop on over the phandomwatch thread if you want to join.
Image
"you are next to me in my life"

User avatar
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Posts: 5144
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:09 pm
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Dan & Phil Part 82: now onto the future

Post by alittledizzy » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:38 pm

This was created by madebyfission on tumblr - the link to the tumblr post is here but when I tried to embed it, it played a bit wonky so I'm just going to embed the youtube video separately. Fuck, this fandom is full of talent.


plinthofmylife
phabergé
Posts: 297
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:41 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: USA

Re: Dan & Phil Part 82: now onto the future

Post by plinthofmylife » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:58 pm

I have only recently come to love TomSka (watching Last Weeks in order during #contentdrought) and I was 100% unsurprised by the jokes and thought they were rather mild, and honestly, he's dealt with the phandom so much over the years he wouldn't make any jokes that he wasn't prepared for the backlash ;)
Image

User avatar
lefthandedism
inveterate introvert
inveterate introvert
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:16 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: California

Re: Dan & Phil Part 82: now onto the future

Post by lefthandedism » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:06 pm

I'm loving all the discussion on gender and gender identity (and Dan).

For myself, I don't think anything Dan has done proves (or disproves) Dan having a particular gender identity. When the discussion was focused on Dan potentially "opening up" about identifying as something other than masculine, I was pointing out that these sorts of things are not necessarily new. In particular, I think being willing to wear a dress is similar to being willing to wear nail polish--both are coded feminine in our society. And in both cases he was doing them in public view, which by definition means he doesn't mind being seen wearing either of those things (there are certainly men who "would not be caught dead" doing that, or would do so only with a pile of disclaimers or in an unambiguous context like a theatre role). I don't think Dan's willingness to occasionally put on nail polish for his fans says anything about his own gender identity, or even about whether he particularly likes nail polish. That he has done it in the past couple of years after resisting for a long time may say way more about his comfort in being perceived as queer, or his comfort in acceding to fans' demands, or who knows. It's still about how he, as an entertainier/public figure, is willing to be seen, not about how he feels about himself.

As for Dan being willing and able to take on feminine roles in his sketches, maybe that also speaks to no more than his willingness to be perceived that way in the course of creating his content. I think it may be a bit deeper than that, since he is also writer and director of that content, but I think that likely gets into speculating about things none of us have any real insight into. (It may have more to do with his acting ability, which I think is much better than popular opinion would have it :-o , but that's probably another topic. :shh: )

As for Dan, I think he'd likely be happy with a "no labels" approach to gender, as he is with sexuality. Now there's a video I'd love to see! :clapping:
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."

flarequake
three-coloured eyes
Posts: 2164
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:55 pm
Pronouns: She/her
Location: London, UK

Re: Dan & Phil Part 82: now onto the future

Post by flarequake » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:08 pm

I love TomSka, had a good laugh at the video the other day. Briefly pondered which of Dan and Phil was which in his, er, estimation ;) I did wonder if someone who’d never seen his videos before would definitely realise he’s joking, I mean, you’d think so, but his weariness sometimes seems legit.

That animation is beautiful, uhf, talent and skills abound, it’s lovely.

Thanks, @bluewho and @Ablissa. Trying to let the rsi recover and not worry.

User avatar
Katka
janice from the shop
Posts: 515
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:22 pm
Pronouns: they/she
Location: Northern Europe

Re: Dan & Phil Part 82: now onto the future

Post by Katka » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:17 pm

Phantasy wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:24 am
Is anyone keen to the theory that perhaps Dan is writing a book? Would certainly explain the absence. Perhaps a book is a better vehicle to capture his long form waffles on certain subjects or about himself (especially the areas he’s drawn boundaries around for channel videos).
Listen, if that was it, I'd forgive him his absense on the spot, I'd love a book like this from him. Or any book. I think he'd write a good book, he's great with words. My inner pessimist thinks it's unlikely though but I'd love to be pleasantly surprised.
lefthandedism wrote: I don't think Dan's willingness to occasionally put on nail polish for his fans says anything about his own gender identity, or even about whether he particularly likes nail polish.
I agree with your whole post but especially this part. As you said, dresses and nail polish are feminine coded. But that doesn't mean someone who wears them has to identify as female or nb/genderfluid. Cis men can like and wear nail polish bc nail polish, just like dresses, has no gender - Society genders them and that's actually a problem. We need to normalise the idea that things like clothes or make-up have no gender and that all genders can wear them without necessarily identifying with the gender these things are usually thought to be for.

Like, we don't know Dan's gender identity because he never told us but I'm pretty sure he knows he's perceived as a cis man and doesn't mind. At least none of the things mentioned suggest otherwise. Being comfortable with wearing nail polish, dresses or other female coded stuff doesn't mean someone is not cis. It just means they don't give a toss about heteronormativity and gender roles and we've known Dan doesn't for a good long while.

Amiaw
flower crown
Posts: 732
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:55 am

Re: Dan & Phil Part 82: now onto the future

Post by Amiaw » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:15 pm

Dan’s been liking things throughout the day on twitter. Is it too much to hope that his web absence is over and that maybe he’s editing a video

User avatar
autumnhearth
full-time internet hobo
Posts: 1591
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:44 am
Pronouns: she/her
Location: OH, USA

Re: Dan & Phil Part 82: now onto the future

Post by autumnhearth » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:46 pm

Amiaw wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:15 pm
Dan’s been liking things throughout the day on twitter. Is it too much to hope that his web absence is over and that maybe he’s editing a video
I just hope he changes his profile picture on there in the next month.

plinthofmylife
phabergé
Posts: 297
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:41 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: USA

Re: Dan & Phil Part 82: now onto the future

Post by plinthofmylife » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:23 am

Katka wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:17 pm
We need to normalise the idea that things like clothes or make-up have no gender and that all genders can wear them without necessarily identifying with the gender these things are usually thought to be for.
Agreed to everything you said, but I will say I think it would be a SUPER interesting video for Dan to talk about his experience toe-ing "traditional" socialized gender lines, even experimentally or for fans, regardless of his gender identity.

John Green did a video on how he loved wearing makeup (maybe 8 years ago?) and I always thought it was great to see a cishetero dude talk about why society had conditioned him to believe he wouldn't like it, but in fact he did. Like there's value in that, especially when presented separate from gender identity because it helps create a conversation that you don't have to feel that you're enby just to want to do "genderized" things that should have no gender. Dan is much further into breaking traditional societally-imposed gender stereotypes than John Green with his fashion alone and lovessss getting philosophical with his DINOF content. Plus he knows how queer/GNC his audience is, and hasn't done a video on gender roles yet despite bringing it up on and off on tumblr/DAPG.

(I'd be also in for DINOF video about male beauty standards too since Dan has brought those up before and that could make an excellent DINOF essay-style video). But I'd also be up for a 10:01 Candle Haul video at this point, if Dan's channel would return from war.
Image

User avatar
bluewho
truth bomb
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:44 pm
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Dan & Phil Part 82: now onto the future

Post by bluewho » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:40 am

alittledizzy wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:38 pm
This is amazing!
Ablissa wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:29 am

Image

This is also amazing :rofl:

Amiaw wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:15 pm
Dan’s been liking things throughout the day on twitter. Is it too much to hope that his web absence is over and that maybe he’s editing a video
yes

Phantasy wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:24 am
Is anyone keen to the theory that perhaps Dan is writing a book? Would certainly explain the absence. Perhaps a book is a better vehicle to capture his long form waffles on certain subjects or about himself (especially the areas he’s drawn boundaries around for channel videos).
I would love it if this were true, although I don't necessarily think that's what he's up to who really knows. I have a wild unfounded fantasy that he's making a piano album complete with falsetto vocals

Locked