Dan & Phil Part 83: Where in the World is Daniel Howell

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
opendoor
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: she/her

That Domestic moments compilation is utterly precious, if anyone needs reminding why we put up with these losers.
I miss Dan Howell's stupid face.
noodlebum
flower crown

opendoor wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:52 am That Domestic moments compilation is utterly precious, if anyone needs reminding why we put up with these losers.
I know, I miss them arguing and annoying each other and laughing together
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Oh, the domestic compilation is lovely, I watched it twice yesterday and then also rewatched Storystein's "A Synchronized Friendship".

I became a fan not long after the trailer so I missed all the context and love the video. I was really into Orphan Black at the time too and the younger woman looks so similar to Tatiana Maslany. It is very sad that it went down like a lead balloon and stressed everyone out inc the guys. Releasing it after weeks of silence and also dropping tickets at the same moment are just bad decisions, though, I don't really get how they missed the communciation memo that much. Seeing the behind the scenes was one of the most fascinating things for me too, seeing Dan in his element like that is amazing, plus Phil's contributions such as "All that's left is a single satsuma. How poignant".

Totally here for fiction from each separately or together, go full Gaiman/Pratchett, guys (though how long were they writing alone before Good Omens, one step a time, eh). We've only seen a little fiction from them in Tabinof really so while we've seen the results of their writing in tons of videos, I'm intrigued by their different styles. Dan was very descriptive, I'd say flowery, but thankfully not purple, while Phil was really straightforward which I tend to prefer, but I'd also cut out the silly bits that I found broke the flow. I hope if they branched out into something quite different like that that they'd take time to practise and study it somewhat, and take some advice.
starwatersong
phabergé

How about... (pick one, two, or all three):

•Favourite video featuring the old apartment?
•Favourite thingone of them said in a video where you honestly laughed out loud and had to replay or pause?
•Favourite non-vlog, non-D&Pmade, non-fanmade video you’ve seen them in (interviews, etc)?
flarequake
not an airport stalker

For the 2nd one, I was reminded of it by the domestic compilation video, Phil in the gaming livestream before Gamingmas 2017 when he went into full-on wide-eyed cheeky git mode and trolled Dan's "December means" *clap* prompt with "What does it mean? Festive times? Gingerbreads? Candy canes? Snowmen? GAMINGMAS!!! I did actually know, I was just waiting to see if it would annoy you!" or whatever the exact wording is. Peak cheek, 10/10 would forgive Dan for bopping him on the schnozz (gently, of course ;) ).
glitterintheair
phillluminati

That gamingmas moment will be in my heart forever, it was just so precious.

On another note: Phil didn't ask for suggestions for his next video/ didn't talk about filming one, so can we expect something from someone else, maybe? (Not gonna get my hopes up, though. Mine is just wishful thinking.)
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

glitterintheair wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:00 pm That gamingmas moment will be in my heart forever, it was just so precious.

On another note: Phil didn't ask for suggestions for his next video/ didn't talk about filming one, so can we expect something from someone else, maybe? (Not gonna get my hopes up, though. Mine is just wishful thinking.)
I had the same thought about the tone of the members post, it sounded very empty for a phil post so I’m hoping he’s leaving things wide open for a reason.
If he’s not I just hope the content drought doesn’t last too long
kavat
pastel persona

Phil has posted about every 10 days or so in the last month, so I don't expect anything from him untill earliest next week. But I would be delighted if someone else would post this weekend.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Twitter tells me it's #PhilDay so here's a throwback.
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:10 pm Twitter tells me it's #PhilDay so here's a throwback.
i dont know why but this makes me super emotional out of nowhere! Can you believe they have been in each other's life for so long? Wow.
:gayaf:
Amiaw
interactive introvert

It’s been a slow boring day so I thought I’d contribute by posting some probably non-news but I noticed that dan just followed Netflix uk and the Netflix twitter account follows him and Phil - I don’t know how long Netflix has been following them but I would love for them to work with Netflix on something.

Probably wishful thinking but I’ll take anything we can get right now
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Amiaw wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:05 pm It’s been a slow boring day so I thought I’d contribute by posting some probably non-news but I noticed that dan just followed Netflix uk and the Netflix twitter account follows him and Phil - I don’t know how long Netflix has been following them but I would love for them to work with Netflix on something.

Probably wishful thinking but I’ll take anything we can get right now
Can't wait to see the new Netflix Original "Keeping up with the Howell-Lesters".
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I wonder if maybe the Netflix thing is because II might end up there?
kavat
pastel persona

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:46 pm I wonder if maybe the Netflix thing is because II might end up there?
That would be really cool, but I feel like it's to niche to be on netflix? You need some prior knowledge about them to enjoy it, i feel like it wouldn't benefit from the wide and diverse audience of netflix.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Reach for the moon, folks. I hope D and/or P are developing a scripted show with Netflix. Sign me up for a mainstream fictional series from their weird and wonderful brains.

Side note, Cornelia tagged this photographer in her instagram stories and my natural curiosity led me to the their page. Seems they do a whole bunch, if not all, of the photography work for IRL people and products.

Thought that was fun. Her site also has a fiery portrait of the only person that matters. :onfire:

I had always sort of assumed they just shot their own photos. Who knew? :shrug: Anyway, my only real takeaway is: prettyyyyyy.
noodlebum
flower crown

For anyone with 40 mins to spare for cutesy times in 2018 :happytears:
knq
lava lamp

I was keeping my expectations so safely low until Phil’s premium post didn’t mention his next video. Now I find myself thinking Dan might post a video on the anniversary of ttlmt like the phandom’s been hoping. (Obvs it’s a Netflix spon)

I liked my expectations low, dammit! It felt safe down there.

Phil liked such a nice tweet earlier. I love that he’s been highlighting and appreciating fans support lately.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

That's such a wholesome ask for him to like. I love it.

Phil's lack of mentioning a video next week does suddenly make me give a little more weight to the 'year since TTLMT' theory, though I feel like Dan's got a mountain of fan expectation to climb whether he does or doesn't now.
flarequake
not an airport stalker

I wonder if Dan’s even aware of the date beyond his own knowledge, if he’s seen people wondering about it :shrug:
Phantasy
woodland creature

I wonder too how much of Dan’s hiatus is actually planned vs winging it. Assuming he’s not working on some big project (i.e., book), then how much is just procrastination and “the artist’s struggle” rather than taking a sabbatical to truly focus on self-development?

It was clear from his various hints last year that he was planning at least 1 more video, the “June” video, that he ultimately downplayed—best guess is he got cold feet, especially if it was on sexuality, and if that’s the case he probably didn’t want to distract from the tour or complicate things for some of the countries they visited, but I wonder even after the tour and they decided on this break if Dan had a specific plan or if things were just open ended until he figures it out.

We know how Dan likes symmetry, so I suspect some time ago he made the decision to time his next video with the anniversary of Living My Truth... I just really hope whatever the next video is it actually is about growth and some new chapter that he’s ready to embrace, because I don’t know if I can handle a long waffle about the creative journey and the artist struggle, especially if he’s still not ready to “get back to norm”.

I just have a feeling that the longer he’s away, the easier it becomes for him to keep that as the new status quo.
cringemonkey
drama llama

I'm really hoping Dan's new video is about mental health/personal growth or something along those lines. I agree that I'd be quite frustrated if it was another waffle about procrastination and a "quality threshold" as that's something we've heard before (although I do understand/struggle with the same type of shit).

I also believe he will upload on the anniversary of ttlmt even if he hasn't seen people expecting that from him. It just seems like a very Dan thing to do (especially if the topic of this new video is related to ttlmt in any way like a "one year on" type of deal).
noodlebum
flower crown

Do you think they'll do any Easter baking this year? It's really late this year, not til 21st April, so doubt they've even thought of it but just pondering...
Secretstanner
truth bomb

cringemonkey wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:18 pm I also believe he will upload on the anniversary of ttlmt even if he hasn't seen people expecting that from him. It just seems like a very Dan thing to do (especially if the topic of this new video is related to ttlmt in any way like a "one year on" type of deal).
I actually really love the idea of a video about “one year on” or something along those lines. I think it’s actually a great idea for a video. He said about last year being on tour and a lot of personal growth. I want a update to that video now! The part I wanna know more about is when he talked about uni or causal videos etc. I don’t think dan will actually get back to his once a month video schedule, I think that ship has past.

I don’t think he’ll ever do a sexuality video outright. Dan has mentioned identity issues before and I think that might be the closes we will get for a video on that subject. Dan doesn’t need to say anymore than he already has (IMO) If he ever does a video I wouldn’t want it to be about I’m gay or bi or whatever. I would love it to be very I am what I am, but this is how I spent year figuring myself and identity out. Just letting his audience know it’s okay if you don’t know where you fit. Very much like his liveshow mini rant. I love that clip and I go back to watch when I’m going through a weird place. I think I’d love a video on that. But I don’t know if we will ever get it. I’m okay with that though.

Do hope we get a dan video tomorrow :(
knq
lava lamp

I made a post and then answered my own question before anyone else could, oops!

Since I can't delete this comment, here is a random 2012 liveshows fact! In Dan's first liveshow someone asks if he's wearing Phil's shirt. He says it was Phil's shirt but it's his now because Phil was going to donate it. 45 minutes later Phil joins the show and goes 'Is that my shirt?' :lol:
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

I'm over here in He's-Not-Posting-Tomorrow Valley for my own sanity.

This month? Probably. Tomorrow? Nah. I just can't let myself get hyped like that.