Dan & Phil Part 83: Where in the World is Daniel Howell

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
autumnhearth
senpai
Pronouns: she/her

knq wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:04 am Where does the merch for IRL and Dan and Phil get manufactured, anyway? I don't think I've ever heard them talk about that and I find it strange. Dan said somewhere that if they made chocolate again he wanted it to be vegan chocolate for the cows, but I've never heard him or Phil discuss working conditions and safety for the people who make their products. I don't know why that is but it is something I thought about when I considered buying clothes from them before.
I don’t recall him expressing any concern for the cows (which isn’t to say he doesn’t care, but pizza man) just that he wanted to be considerate of vegans that want to buy the advent calendars, but maybe he mentioned it a different time.

Speaking of Dan saying things in live shows, I was looking for an old one that got mentioned here when I accidentally clicked on the one from right after Dan’s Disstrack dropped. He was in such a good mood (maybe partially because of antibiotics and antidepressants but probably also from working on the movies and recording the song for Stand Up For Cancer and heading off to Australia soon). Like his whole demeanor was so different from both early live shows and 2017 ls. He was shocked that over an hour had gone by and he didn’t want to leave and was concerned that he didn’t have another ls before they headed to Australia, then was super relieved when he found out there was still one more the next week. He took a long time saying goodbye and it was clear how much he cared and relied on that creator audience relationship and it warmed my heart, but also made me feel a bit sad for like now.... Gosh I’m just such a bundle of joy on here :/ sorry.
noodlebum
flower crown

autumnhearth wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:28 am Speaking of Dan saying things in live shows, I was looking for an old one that got mentioned here when I accidentally clicked on the one from right after Dan’s Disstrack dropped. He was in such a good mood (maybe partially because of antibiotics and antidepressants but probably also from working on the movies and recording the song for Stand Up For Cancer and heading off to Australia soon). Like his whole demeanor was so different from both early live shows and 2017 ls. He was shocked that over an hour had gone by and he didn’t want to leave and was concerned that he didn’t have another ls before they headed to Australia, then was super relieved when he found out there was still one more the next week. He took a long time saying goodbye and it was clear how much he cared and relied on that creator audience relationship and it warmed my heart, but also made me feel a bit sad for like now.... Gosh I’m just such a bundle of joy on here :/ sorry.
Do you have a link? I feel like watching some happy-Dan today 😊
kavat
pastel persona

knq wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:04 am Where does the merch for IRL and Dan and Phil get manufactured, anyway? I don't think I've ever heard them talk about that and I find it strange. Dan said somewhere that if they made chocolate again he wanted it to be vegan chocolate for the cows, but I've never heard him or Phil discuss working conditions and safety for the people who make their products. I don't know why that is but it is something I thought about when I considered buying clothes from them before.
I gathered some of my merch to see what the labels said, and this is what I've got.

II marble t-shirt: made in Portugal.
II denim jacket: made in China.
Tatinof EU t-shirt: the label has almost been washed off, but it says Gildan activewear (their corporate website talks a lot about responsibility and has pictures of goats but that's mostly just marketing)
Try new things t-shirt, DTTM shirt, Dean Dobbs Eat people sweater: doesn't specify on the label.
Dil's slippers: Made in China.

I find it interesting that some of the items doesn't have the country of origin stated on the label. It just has the logo and size on one side, and the washing instructions on the other side (DTTM doesn't even have washing instructions). Not even material composition is defined. It might have been printed on the packaging, I don't remember, but they seem to have gone for as simple labels as possible when it comes to information, and splurged on the logos woven in color on them. Aesthetic over information, that's for sure (the information design student in me cries a little).

I can't find anything on the website about where their items are made either. I have a vague memory of someone tweeting IRL asking about how ethical it was a while ago, but I don't remember their reply.
black_rat
squish

I had to catch up a few pages, and I know the conversation has moved on, but I just wanted to share this video of phangate, I love it so much and Phil's stupid impression always makes me smile:

Also I watched the ls Dan did on mental health day, and he talked about the gaming channel and it made me a bit sad. That was the time they just hit 3M subscribers. (Starts at 17:45)
https://youtu.be/4bh9luFQ3Tc?t=1065
autumnhearth
senpai

@noodlebum of course!
Looks like today will be ls clip watching day!

@knq do you happen to have a link of the August 2012 ls where Dan uses gender neutral terms form his “soulmate/not girlfriend”? I went to the end of a few Phil ls for that month. Was it on Dan’s.
knq
lava lamp

autumnhearth wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:50 pm @knq do you happen to have a link of the August 2012 ls where Dan uses gender neutral terms form his “soulmate/not girlfriend”? I went to the end of a few Phil ls for that month. Was it on Dan’s.
I do indeed! At 39:47 in the August 25th 2012 liveshow. It's a quick moment but it's a good liveshow overall imo. I like the ones where their internet was so bad Phil ended up streaming from the lounge while Dan was on the PC and just sort of incorporated him into the show.
autumnhearth
senpai

Thank you! I had only watched the part where they were sat on the floor together. I like how reclined Phil was, but major :sideeye: to both of their reactions to Phil requesting that Dan lean into him to be in frame and Phil continuing to offer to pimp out Dan to fans (win a night of passion with Dan :roll: ) I need to watch a tour ls to cleanse my palate, or maybe just the gaming videos on the bus. The pen in mouth drawing game was good though.
knq
lava lamp

autumnhearth wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:35 pm Thank you! I had only watched the part where they were sat on the floor together. I like how reclined Phil was, but major :sideeye: to both of their reactions to Phil requesting that Dan lean into him to be in frame and Phil continuing to offer to pimp out Dan to fans (win a night of passion with Dan :roll: ) I need to watch a tour ls to cleanse my palate, or maybe just the gaming videos on the bus. The pen in mouth drawing game was good though.
I'm so weirdly unbothered by fetus Dan and Phil liveshows! I take issue with their insensitive humor and occasionally with Dan's awkward rudeness, but I feel like for a lot of people pre-2015 liveshows are unwatchable and I'm just over here wanting to pat their heads. I don't even mind Dan's half-face thing except for when I'm trying to take screenshots.

Two related moments of half-face cuteness (imo, of course) since Phil hasn't fed us yet today~
'It happens every week'
collab with Cat where Phil just reaches out and pulls Dan on screen :lol:

Phil putting that pen in Dan's mouth was. Something. Yep.
Ablissa
pastel persona

My crops need water, Phil. Are you creating a Loki-esque situation here or will you step in and water them for me? :snow:
Metaphors aside, I don't think it's happening tonight, but I really wish it did, because I'm impatient and want to know what it is that he thinks we all want to watch.
Personally I'll take a moving vlog. Or house decoration vlog. Or pigeon fest where Dan is the pigeon.
knq
lava lamp

You know it’s going to be Toilet Tag 2.
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

When I saw Phil's promise of a new video that's been requested for years, I tried to think of some ridiculous ideas that he would never do...but I instead ended up coming up with a couple of ideas that I now really want to see:
  1. Pancake art (in honor of Pancake Day)
  2. Prank war with Dan (not real pranks, though...harmless pranks like in Jenna's prank videos here, here, and here)
Inspired by @kavat's post, I also looked at my Dan and Phil clothing merch tags to see where they were made. My TATINOF and Interactive Introverts tour T-shirts were both made by Gildan. TATINOF's was made in the Dominican Republic, and Interactive Introverts's was made in Nicaragua. For my Dan and Phil Christmas sweatshirt, it appears that the original tag was torn out, and a Dan and Phil Shop tag (with no information about the country of manufacture) was sewn in.
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?
cheetopapi
smol bean

okay, hi long time lurker! i found this video in my recommended today and it could’ve been way better researched imo but it was still interesting to see an analysis video on the phandom.

thoughts?
Last edited by lefthandedism on Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed youtube embed
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Ablissa wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:51 pm Personally I'll take a moving vlog. Or house decoration vlog. Or pigeon fest where Dan is the pigeon.
Forget the moving/house vlog, if it's not Dan dressed up as a pigeon I don't care.

Speaking of videos ideas - a fairly new trend on yt is those "Reading your Assumptions about Me" videos. Now, I don't think we will ever get one, but c'mon Phil, try new things!
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Lol, Dan dressed as a pigeon. That I would like to see. For some reason I thought for a moment that his brown hair would suit it really well and then I remembered they’re (shades of) grey with an iridescent neck. Not like I see them every time I stand by the bus stop :roll:
fancybum
senpai

I just saw that Phil liked Mamrie’s ig post about getting turned into Alf and now I want somebody (with actual skills, so Dan’s out anyway) to turn Phil into a Bratz doll or something else stupid. Have we been requesting makeup videos from him for years? I’m suddenly on board the hype for this video.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
Ablissa
pastel persona

Dan tweeted something from his drafts, I guess.
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

Ablissa wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:44 am Dan tweeted something from his drafts, I guess.
(first post coming back from the depression cave hello)

is it just me but the fact that it sorta rhymes makes it feel oddly satisfying to me...
"you are next to me in my life"
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Ablissa wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:44 am Dan tweeted something from his drafts, I guess.
Yeah I think he’s tweeted this exact thing before but always nice to see that he’s alive
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Amiaw wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:52 am
Yeah I think he’s tweeted this exact thing before but always nice to see that he’s alive
He tweeted this in December:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

cheetopapi wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:50 pm okay, hi long time lurker! i found this video in my recommended today and it could’ve been way better researched imo but it was still interesting to see an analysis video on the phandom.

thoughts?
It seemed to me to be a standard snarky take on the standard caricature of the phandom. She so completely misses the point of why anyone would believe Dan and Phil are together (whether or not people are correct in their belief, they have reasons beyond pure fantasy).

I did enjoy watching the Deppy clips in her video clips, though. :)
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
starwatersong
phabergé

Looks like it’s Dan’s turn... 🙄
knq
lava lamp

Think the grey's ugly? Don't like that font? Never fear! There's about 10 more dupes just on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=%22have+the+ ... o+exist%22

I'll be honest and say I'm not that bothered. None of Dan's shops are selling anything from that collection anymore so it isn't taking money away from charity. Though it must be copyright infringement to use his quote like that.

Edit: on the above video: She's got a few of her facts wrong, but mostly I'm disappointed to see someone assume that 'gay' and 'straight' are the only possible sexualities. That's kind of shit.
starwatersong
phabergé

knq wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:36 am Think the grey's ugly? Don't like that font? Never fear! There's about 10 more dupes just on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=%22have+the+ ... o+exist%22
I was just surprised because, well, I spend most of my time on Canadian Amazon (much less stuff, including dupes, I guess).
noodlebum
flower crown

Ok I ended up on this video during a search somehow, and have never seen it or heard it referenced before, but it's hilarious. Dan is really enthusiastic :lol:

flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Oh, bless Phil at the end of that.

Hesitating to watch that crap-sounding shipping video, can't stand people who have less than half a clue spouting off to perpetuate drama.