Dan & Phil Part 83: Where in the World is Daniel Howell

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
starwatersong
phabergé
Pronouns: she/her

I feel like there’s more video from that live thing — it’s the one where Dan has had some cheer, correct? 😉 🍹

Speaking of great, old not-cringy Dan and PJ videos, I’m very fond of “The Pushover” (and the bloopers).

(TW: excessive alcohol use and fake throwing up)

alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

noodlebum wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:05 am Ok I ended up on this video during a search somehow, and have never seen it or heard it referenced before, but it's hilarious. Dan is really enthusiastic :lol:
Oooh, I love this one!! I think this is the closest we have ever gotten (and probably will ever get) to watching Dan and Phil drunk. They definitely seemed to have had a few before getting on stage, which actually makes for a mostly cute interview. There are only a couple of gratuitous heteronormative mentions jammed in there but they aren't trying overly hard to sell it, and the whole bit from 9:20 with Phil singing Always by Erasure and then right after with Dan miming something phallic involving the mic and Phil's mouth is still a journey that takes me from 'aw' to cracking up totally in the span of like 20 seconds.

Your sound isn't broken, btw - it takes them thirty seconds to realize the microphone wasn't on. I firmly believe they had a few drinks before getting roped into doing this.
noodlebum
flower crown

alittledizzy wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:10 pm
noodlebum wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:05 am Ok I ended up on this video during a search somehow, and have never seen it or heard it referenced before, but it's hilarious. Dan is really enthusiastic :lol:
Oooh, I love this one!! I think this is the closest we have ever gotten (and probably will ever get) to watching Dan and Phil drunk. They definitely seemed to have had a few before getting on stage, which actually makes for a mostly cute interview. There are only a couple of gratuitous heteronormative mentions jammed in there but they aren't trying overly hard to sell it, and the whole bit from 9:20 with Phil singing Always by Erasure and then right after with Dan miming something phallic involving the mic and Phil's mouth is still a journey that takes me from 'aw' to cracking up totally in the span of like 20 seconds.

Your sound isn't broken, btw - it takes them thirty seconds to realize the microphone wasn't on. I firmly believe they had a few drinks before getting roped into doing this.
Wow, that whole thing was chaotic :lol:
autumnhearth
senpai

Where/when the hell was that pastel filtered girl talking about threats to kill people’s families over liking one of them more than the other from? Was it a parody? Obviously there was so much she didn’t understand. I guess it’s easier to listen to a half dozen sound bites of “no” to the are you gay question than all the mentions of male attraction. And she had no idea that was the tile of “Phil’s bedroom” in the video. Whatever.
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

Well here's some of the very sparse new content about Dan and Phil. She offers her view on the fandom. I love to check out outside perspectives on social groups or phenomena like youtuber fan groups.
She brings up some valid points imo.

Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
cheetopapi
smol bean

watching the video again, it’s true that she got so much wrong but i’m desperate for any comment on the dnp hiatus that i’ll watch anything.

i really like that she used a picture of christian novelli when talking about adrian though, it made me giggle.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

I watched the video out of curiosity and boredom (and laying in bed sick all weekend), and nothing against the girl making it but like I figured, there was absolutely no depth to this video (which is probably the case of most videos of this sort). She seemed perfectly nice and I don't care about anything said in videos like these, but I think the two things that factor into any sort of outsider commentary on any fandom is that:

1) There will literally always be 'bad seeds' or people taking it too far or whatever in any and every fandom. The bigger a fandom is, the larger that voice will be

2) You can never actually know a fandom unless you are actually in that fandom. You can try to make outsider commentary on any fandom, but it will never be completely accurate unless you are literally a member of the fandom and know all the ins and outs of it

So yeah, I find any and all videos of these sorts pretty silly honestly, but whatev, it's youtube and kudos to anyone making the content they want to make
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Nothing against the girl or the people who enjoy those videos but I really don't care about outside perspective, mostly because outside perspective doesn't know all the facts (sometimes it's hard to know everything even you're IN a fandom, imagine when you're not), so what's the point?
I'm not sure why I should care about the opinions of someone who's not that familiar with what they're talking about.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
Stakhanov
haru pillow

Yea fair points and her using the wrong picture for Adrian i found pretty funny. How did she even get to that picture?
I found the video interesting because it offers some insight in the impressions a casual viewer might build up and not because she was particularly knowledgeable of the full details of everything. What struck me for example is how she immediately linked the Dan and Phil shipping by some to the broader trend of shipping, and how she brings up general points like that creators who share more generally have a more dedicated audience. Or how things like perspective, loneliness, a desire to see a certain (ideal type of) a relationship etc. can drive people to liking this type of content or people.
I find it easy to forget sometimes how much those broad truths (or at least I think those explanations made sense) also very much apply to Dan and Phil, precisely because I do feel a strong connection to them and have come to see them as unique individuals first.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

Yeahhh I'm going to choose to ignore that video for my own sanity because all it's going to do is piss me off for no reason and I don't want to feel like that lol. Tbh I feel similarly to when Dan went on that little rant in a liveshow (from September 6, 2016. I would link the time but idk when he talks about it) about people just using them to get views on money since they have such a dedicated audience. I mean, people are still going to do it, but I think it's gross to so blatantly piggyback off someone's audience.

Anyway. Maybe Phil will upload today? Here are my predictions for the video we've been requesting for yearrrrs:
-My Chat Logs 3!!
-Toilet Tag 2
-Houseplant tour!! (in which Loki gets a special shout out--just for @alittledizzy--and half of his plants are numerically named Loki's)
-Why I was a weird kid 4
-Reading my emails from when I was in uni
-My Secret Files 2!
-Tour of my teeth x-rays
-Reacting to my old instagrams!
-Top 10 Favourite TV shows! (#spon from netflix uk)
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

Based on your comments I'm definitely gonna ignore that video.

Anyway, any hope for Phil's video tonight? do you think I can go to bed?
:gayaf:
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

Ataraxia25 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:28 pm Based on your comments I'm definitely gonna ignore that video.

Anyway, any hope for Phil's video tonight? do you think I can go to bed?
I was sure he'd upload today (he doesn't normally drag out video releases like Dan does), but it's getting awfully late. I guess we'll all be waiting until tomorrow.
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell
Stakhanov
haru pillow

It should drop soon ;-)
liola
rankussy

A late Phil upload with a warning.. well I sure hope this video is gonna be a surprise, I have no idea what to expect honestly but I'm just glad that my man keeps delivering <3
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Can't wait for Toilet Tag 2!! :6-year-old dan:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

lbr it's probably an apartment tour right before they pack shit up and move.
Ablissa
pastel persona

It's not what I would have dreamed of, but 18 mins of Phil is good always.
Edit to clarify - I'm definitely happy with the vid choice and I think it was requested a bit, I just haven't thought of it :)
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

I really enjoyed that. He definitely wasn't wrong about people asking for that for years.

I wonder if he watched @bluebox-away's find. :')

Donno if I'll rewatch, but it's always a good time seeing Phil reminisce on his old self.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Not at all what I was expecting but it was a fun video. I loved all of his commentary on what was happening during the filming.

A few random thoughts:
-He looks like he’s also been working out - the pug sweater was really big on him
- i would love to hear him talk more about playing the violin
- the Dan mentions continue to be nice/sweet
- he kept looking to his left and he’s done that in several videos since he moved location. I wonder what he’s looking at
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Aw, that was cute. Definitely nothing exciting, but he is actually right that people wanted him to react to it. Just watching him tak for eighteen minutes was pleasant.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

A cute video, nothing too special, but nice to see him reflect on his past self. I laughed at 5:57 when he put "could do with a nap tbh" next to his younger self.

editing to say I loved hearing him mention Dan at times, and him never letting Phil live down the llama bit :')
Last edited by obsessivelymoody on Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StripedSquash
smol bean

Loved the video and I can't believe we didn't guess it. I remember people asking him to react to it over the years.

I couldn't stop staring at his eyebrows though, did he get them done??
bluebox-away
woodland creature

Took me a while to remember my password, but needed to pop back in here after this video! :corn:

Very surprised that he’s suddenly decided to do this now, and not when it resurfaced when I found it ~3 years ago (wait has it really been that long? Yikes I’m getting old..) but could be to do with how long since it aired and bbc rights stuff? :shrug:
rizzo wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:45 pm I really enjoyed that. He definitely wasn't wrong about people asking for that for years.

I wonder if he watched @bluebox-away s find. :')

Donno if I'll rewatch, but it's always a good time seeing Phil reminisce on his old self.
Sadly @rizzo I actually never uploaded it to YT when I found it cause a) didn’t want a Phil (or BBC) copyright complaint :shock: and b) I couldn’t actually get it to record on my computer so somebody else did it - Spider maybe..?

Either way, I’m glad to see him finally react to this - the extra tidbits of filming background where fun. Made me lol that he said Donatello but Ann didn’t notice so he had to re-record the right answer :lol:
06/04/2016 - I found The Weakest Link :ninja:
Gif credit: IckleMissMayhem
glitterintheair
phillluminati

That was cute! Not what I would've loved but it's okay, we got 18 mins of Phil talking and giggling, so not complaining here. Also my heart did a flippy over thing when he mentioned Dan because I am a woman who finds joy in the simple things.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

I LOVED the video! i was so excited when i saw the title! I just loved it so so much!

The Dan mention was sweet and someone mentioned phil always looking towards and yeah i wonder what he's looking at!

I wonder if Clare or Anne or anyone on the show found out that Phil is a famous youtuber now and thought : "omg he was the young guy with the terrible haircut that way with me on the weakest link!!"
:gayaf: