Dan & Phil Part 83: Where in the World is Daniel Howell

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

An ok vid. Mildly entertaining, completely safe and recycling content he's used before. Most of things I noticed already has been said. Liked the hoody. The space does feel cramped and just.. void of any sort atmosphere. The couple of gadgets on the IKEA bookshelf can't really save it from having a bit of a clinical feeling.

I do admire how he's continuing on, without any editor (that we know of) or help from Dan. Maybe Dan was more experienced in the camera and lighting setup, that would explain some of the odd angles.
My cowsona dreams are dead.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

It was okay. Quite forgettable tbh. It was a bit like 2012-2013 AP, the video strongly reminded me of videos like My Chat Logs and Reasons Why I Was A Weird Kid. But not as good.

Phil dragging household appliances around his set and holding them up for us to see instead of putting it down on a table or something was both ridiculous and hilarious though. When his new set was first revealed I mentioned that I didn't like the angle and how cramped it felt, and this video honestly didn't help with that all. I still like the aesthetics and do not want the bed back, but I do miss the wider angle. Can't believe I spent two years making jokes about Phil and his broom closet 'bedroom' and now he's filming in a space the size of an IKEA wardrobe. :|

No but seriously, is there a meth lab on the other side of the room? Is that Dan's new project cause he gotta pay for his designer clothes while not making videos one way or another?

Anway, I've been mostly enjoying Phil's 2019 vids, but this one was more of a miss for me than a hit. :shrug:

That hoodie looks good on him tho! :love2:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

Catallena wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:20 pm It was okay. Quite forgettable tbh. It was a bit like 2012-2013 AP, the video strongly reminded me of videos like My Chat Logs and Reasons Why I Was A Weird Kid. But not as good.

Phil dragging household appliances around his set and holding them up for us to see instead of putting it down on a table or something was both ridiculous and hilarious though. When his new set was first revealed I mentioned that I didn't like the angle and how cramped it felt, and this video honestly didn't help with that all. I still like the aesthetics and do not want the bed back, but I do miss the wider angle. Can't believe I spent two years making jokes about Phil and his broom closet 'bedroom' and now he's filming in a space the size of an IKEA wardrobe. :|

No but seriously, is there a meth lab on the other side of the room? Is that Dan's new project cause he gotta pay for his designer clothes while not making videos one way or another?

Anway, I've been mostly enjoying Phil's 2019 vids, but this one was more of a miss for me than a hit. :shrug:

That hoodie looks good on him tho! :love2:
I really hope he's self aware enough to know that his recent videos haven't done as well views wise because he's suffering the apathy of people who just want Dan/joint content back, and not that he genuinely thinks the previous types of videos that used to do so well are what he needs to go back to. I would really hate for him to consider his 2019 content so far a failed experiment.
noodlebum
flower crown

Yeah if the camera was just a tiny bit further away with maybe some desk space or something in front of him, I think I'd prefer it. Then he'll be able to use the desk/table for showing things/activities without moving/messing with cameras as much? I'm no expert on filming though of course. And would feel less claustrophobic!
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I did laugh a few times because Phil is a funny guy but I do hope he moves away from videos about things he did/didn’t do as a kid and maybe just adds something new. Like someone said before he’s been reusing content and retelling stories he’s told us before and It probably is hard to come up with completely new content but maybe he could try something that doesn’t make him seem stuck in his childhood.
Winston
flower crown

It's hard to get new content when you talk about your life for the basis as your content, yet don't want to share anything from the last 10 years. He has to talk about 'life with mum and dad' or 'school' because after that is off limits it seems, even more so lately than before.
actions speak louder than words
kay
phabergé

Winston wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:26 pm It's hard to get new content when you talk about your life for the basis as your content, yet don't want to share anything from the last 10 years. He has to talk about 'life with mum and dad' or 'school' because after that is off limits it seems, even more so lately than before.
realest of the real talk
Secretstanner
truth bomb

I didn’t Love the video but liked it more than the others. I actually think the concept for it is good. Maybe a little outdated but I think could still work. I think the problem I have is it safe, you could do a lot with a video like this. More than just sitting against a white wall. I don’t like how I feel every video is desperate to get to 10 mins. For me I love long videos, long talkative videos like the mukbang video. As much as we can see phil has grown there’s still a wall. I just think with Phil content it’s needs to grow up. Its 2019 would I watch videos like buying things from fiver or my google history from any other YouTube? Tbh I probably wouldn’t. Love him and that’s why I wish more from him because he could do it. But then again he might not care, if he feels like this is the best content he can make then more power to him.

Background: over it! Hate it! Guess it’s still a thing that’s a bit dated. I get not wanting to move your equipment around every time you make a video but I wouldn’t be mad if he changed the set up of the videos to go with the type of video he’s doing. The white wall so zoomed in on his face isn’t for me. Also this is me being nitpicky but... I hate phils thumb nails so much SO much. This one more than usual. It doesn’t make me wanna click the video.

I guess in conclusion: It’s all way too outdated. Nothings new. The humour might be a dat more grown up because the thrown in there daddy jokes, but it’s still the same old same old. I saw someone say phils already put him photo copying his face before out as content and the trying fizzy milk.. didn’t he do that on tour.
Ablissa
pastel persona

Winston wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:26 pm It's hard to get new content when you talk about your life for the basis as your content, yet don't want to share anything from the last 10 years. He has to talk about 'life with mum and dad' or 'school' because after that is off limits it seems, even more so lately than before.
I had a serious 'ooooh' type of reaction reading your post due to how accurate it is. I'm too lazy to bring up receipts and really count how many of his recent videos truly touch on 'adult' subjects, but yeah, accurate. I think it would be awesome if he'd talk about his recent experiences more so than the stuff he liked as a kid etc.
Obviously, he can't do that right now. The last 10 years of his life involved Dan, and there's no Dan at the moment. If Phil were to mention him more than he already does, things would only get worse. And thus, we're left with the kind of content he's putting out right now.

I personally enjoy his videos. They're not groundbreaking, but I don't think he needs or wants them to be. Would I want something more exciting? Sure, but I'll take what I can get :)
I'm waiting patiently until something happens and we (maybe) get more insight into their lives.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Ablissa wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:02 am
I had a serious 'ooooh' type of reaction reading your post due to how accurate it is. I'm too lazy to bring up receipts and really count how many of his recent videos truly touch on 'adult' subjects, but yeah, accurate. I think it would be awesome if he'd talk about his recent experiences more so than the stuff he liked as a kid etc.
Obviously, he can't do that right now. The last 10 years of his life involved Dan, and there's no Dan at the moment. If Phil were to mention him more than he already does, things would only get worse. And thus, we're left with the kind of content he's putting out right now.
Moreso than that, I just think that it wouldn't feel respectful to talk about the last decade of his life? Being a kid and university are universal experiences that he can speak broadly on. He can talk about his mom without it feeling like an invasion of her privacy. He can share memories that center around himself and only himself because he gets sole control about that. He's also telling us stuff that we weren't really around for, because he probably knows most of us know everything that's happened from 2009 on.

But the other stuff - old career stuff? SAP and the radio show are bound up in professionalism; especially if either/both of those ended sourly, I don't expect him to linger on them. The tour stuff is already thoroughly documented. I don't think his youtube videos from the past few years need further commentary, they're not that old. His relationship and sexuality are bound up in Dan, and no matter whether Dan currently wants to be in videos or not I don't think Phil would be discussing those. His closest friends are no longer youtubers, so it's not like he can do more than casually reference them. Collab culture amongst the British youtube circle has died out. His day to day life is that of a millionaire youtuber and influencer; that's not relatable content to discuss in the same way university is. He probably spends half his career in meetings or answering emails, anyway. So I'm just not sure what recent experiences he could really share, I guess.

Outside of daydream content, because don't get me wrong, I'd really fucking love a sit down video where Phil picks out furniture from IKEA. But for right now instead of hoping he does more life-focused videos that are current - because I don't think he can or will - I'm gonna settle for hoping that we just get some less nostalgia based whimsy concepts. As countless people have said, he could just take a page out of Jenna's book.
Winston
flower crown

It's Phil, I was talking about content like his latest trip to Tesco and the chat he had with the little old lady in line with him. Or what he planned to have for breakfast next week. He is not that deep (content-wise,) I do not expect him to all of a sudden discuss his (possible) anxiety issues, Or his sexuality or possible relationships he's had. He's always told silly stories about things that have happened to him, but he hasn't been doing that either.

I am talking about something like the last trip he took to the park and stepped in gum then fell over into a pile of dog doo when he tried to wipe it off in the grass. But no, we get this stuff from his childhood all the time. Or his school days. It would be all well and good if he shared some nostalgia, but he is still sharing things we know (or have even seen) before, He's mid-thirties, they don't do too much that a lot of people can't relate to as other humans. And things that won't reveal too much about subjects he feels are too personal.

He has been doing that for almost his entire career but right now he almost seems to be regressing. Telling us even less than he has in the past and I didn't even know that was possible, but then again I didn't anticipate his set would downsize to about two square feet.
actions speak louder than words
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Winston wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:15 am It's Phil, I was talking about content like his latest trip to Tesco and the chat he had with the little old lady in line with him. Or what he planned to have for breakfast next week. He is not that deep (content-wise,) I do not expect him to all of a sudden discuss his (possible) anxiety issues, Or his sexuality or possible relationships he's had. He's always told silly stories about things that have happened to him, but he hasn't been doing that either.

I am talking about something like the last trip he took to the park and stepped in gum then fell over into a pile of dog doo when he tried to wipe it off in the grass. But no, we get this stuff from his childhood all the time. Or his school days. It would be all well and good if he shared some nostalgia, but he is still sharing things we know (or have even seen) before, He's mid-thirties, they don't do too much that a lot of people can't relate to as other humans. And things that won't reveal too much about subjects he feels are too personal.

He has been doing that for almost his entire career but right now he almost seems to be regressing. Telling us even less than he has in the past and I didn't even know that was possible, but then again I didn't anticipate his set would downsize to about two square feet.
I don't see anything as regressing. I just see it as Phil making the content he wants to make. His main channel content has never been deeply personal, and I actually do feel like some of his recent videos (especially his chat with himself from ten years ago) told me things I didn't know about him.

I would definitely like content what you mean, the silly story type things. I guess I was responding to the whole comment about him not talking about things that happened the last ten years. He hasn't made a storytime type video besides his hospital one in a few years; I just went to look and was surprised to realize how many years. I think before the hospital one it might have been his gym one from 2017. He also made a storytime video in January 2017 but before that he hadn't made one since July 2016. For some reason, that clearly did stop being content he wants to make. I miss it. But I do also see that even back in 2016/2017 those videos were getting less views than his other ones, so it might just be that he was cutting out the poorest performing video types? Sleepless Night, Things I Regret Buying, My DNA Test Results, and ASMR all outperformed it.

But maybe enough people will leave feedback places he can see it (the whole membership thing would be good for that, probably) and he'll actually pick up on people liking those videos.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

I agree with a lot of what's been said, so I don't necessarily want to echo it all. Phil's video wasn't a favorite, it felt very claustrophobic with him holding the scanner. Like, god forbid he place it on a table. Even the lounge would have been more reasonable.

I agree with both points above. @alittledizzy I do agree that it's probably relatively difficult for him to talk about his current life. And frankly, I'm thankful for it sometimes. When other youtubers do their PR unboxings, I breathe a sigh of relief that Dan and Phil aren't those people. In instances like that, I appreciate the facade of relatability.

But then, on the flip side, I'm not sure we even get that facade. Like, I think Phil could offer us more. Sure. No 9 to 5 job or whatever, but a story about your day or something silly like shopping for house shit? Still doable. Louise manages it. Not that Phil's a mommy vlogger, but idk... A grocery store doesn’t give away a moving situation and it doesn’t give away your sexuality, you know?

But I keep going in circles in my mind because he doesn't grocery shop - he orders that online. He can't vlog a ditl type thing or film a recent storytime without featuring Dan in some capacity. Phil's stuck tbh.

Honestly, maybe what I'm getting down to is just that I want Phil to move in his videos. Or else we may as well just be listening to a podcast. If he's stuck just showing us stuff... maybe he can do a Topman try-on haul in the hallway. IDFK.

Anyway, some interesting Dan likes on Twitter:
He also liked some really great fan art on tumblr, including a sculpture (!!) and Dan as Klaus Hargreeves. The latter gave me extra feels and then proceeded to make me sad, because I'd give anything to hear his thoughts on TUA in a liveshow. :snow:
George
sad dimple

...maybe Phil visited that storage unit to film his videos :rofl:
You should never go to sleep on an argument.
dancy
procrastinator

A typical Phil video, I liked it but it's nothing special. The thing with a video like this, is that I feel like there's just more he can with do it. I'm not saying he has to go bungee jumping or something extreme like that but surely there's things he wanted to do as a kid that involved actually going somewhere or doing some type of activity that you can't do while sitting in front of a wall...

And I do get what some of you are saying regarding the background, I like the way it looks but it's not open enough and I really don't understand why he didn't just get a table to put the printer and SodaStream on.
knq
lava lamp

Nostalgia videos can be fun. I like the ones where people buy toys that were advertised on TV when they were a kid, like Moon Shoes and Bopp-it. They make me go ‘I remember that too!’ and they’re just enjoyable to watch. I’m all for Phil making these sorts of videos, but they’d be more fun if he were making other types of videos as well. And they'd be a tad less strange if he, like, named the series and acknowledged the it has a theme.

I hate his filming wall. I will only accept it as a piece of performance art. Every week Phil’s chair will move an inch off screen and the camera will focus more on the plant until finally it’s just that wall and that plant we’re staring at while we hear Phil making a video off to the side. He’ll still sound like he’s talking to us but we won’t see him or anything he describes, just the wall and the plant.

I don’t know what to think on the moving theory front? It makes sense to me if Phil is trying to drop hints again with his tweet and IG about the storage unit. It also makes sense if the close angle and white wall is there to keep us from seeing moving boxes. But it doesn’t make sense to believe he’s both dropping hints and going out of his way to hide evidence that he could be moving. So I’m lost.

Also I miss the bants kind of a lot. :snow:
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

It took me all day to get around to watching it since I am traveling (+ the video came out in the middle of the night here) but I liked it. It wasn't perfect, and for the love of god, Phil, please, at some point leave your little awkward angle filming corner.

I've been finding that even among people that make solo content, when they bring in their partner/friend/cameraperson more often, it is funnier and more engaging. As much as I'm trash, I also am someone who makes content, and I've been thinking about how Phil's videos have seemed a little less dynamic without Dan, even just some off-camera asides, because he gets to naturally react to a flow of conversation. So, it doesn't have to be Dan, I mean, I'd love it to be Dan, but please...at least one other person in your video, even if it's just a clone sketch.

I really liked the editing, lol. Much of the editing made me laugh more than the jokes.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

In all honesty, I think there wouldn't be such a craving for more juicy content from Phil if his videos were paired with some other kind of content. What we've gotten so far it's standard Phil content that we've always had and it was fine before because if we wanted more we had dapg, or joint videos on AP, or the radio show, or liveshows. There was a variety of stuff to choose from.

I feel like a broken record at this point, but I'll say it again: Phil makes funny and nice videos but his content isn't strong enough on its own for a prolonged period of time.
Jenna or Safiya are good example of people who don't make deep videos or sit down to have a chat with their audience and yet they still manage to make top notch content. I know Phil is not them, but he is currently our only source of content and people want more and if they don't get it, they will just turn to who can give them what they want (I am saying this mostly because I am constantly seeing people say they're feeling detached from dnp lately).
knq wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:35 am I hate his filming wall. I will only accept it as a piece of performance art. Every week Phil’s chair will move an inch off screen and the camera will focus more on the plant until finally it’s just that wall and that plant we’re staring at while we hear Phil making a video off to the side. He’ll still sound like he’s talking to us but we won’t see him or anything he describes, just the wall and the plant.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
noodlebum
flower crown

glitterintheair wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:16 am What we've gotten so far it's standard Phil content that we've always had and it was fine before because if we wanted more we had dapg, or joint videos on AP, or the radio show, or liveshows. There was a variety of stuff to choose from.
Yes, I think that's the problem I'm finding too this year.
liola
rankussy

Maybe it's my bad mood, but I thought Phil's video was lovely. It made me smile and laugh and gave me a peaceful break of 10 minutes where the world wasn't bleak. He's funny, he's engaging and he's obviously enjoying what he's doing right now, whether people think it's high concept or not. It's nothing new because Phil never stopped liking what he's doing.

I miss joint content too, but I really find it so unfair that this is the conversation we go back every single time. There's a petty part of me that thinks it's kind hypocritical to praise Dan for living his truth and taking time out and ignore his audience if that's what he wants but after every Phil video the major response is "I wish he did this different". Well it seems like this is the content he wants to make, If we were to feel the same then we have no right to complain.

To be clear, I also don't feel like he's living to the full potential, not because of the videos he's making, but rather because the camera angle and the not moving feels constricted. But either he has a different reason for it -Moving- or this is just the thing he's enjoying at the moment. Honestly, I'm just glad he's posting, I'm glad he seems to be back in his own game and that he seems to be happy with it, and sharing that happiness with us. I personally wouldn't ask more from him.

The other petty side of me is almost hoping Dan - if he still exists - decides to come back with a 10.02 long video that is just one close-up shot of his nostril and he only talks about exactly how many hairs have grown on his face but doesn't actually show us. I'm sure someone would call it groundbreaking just because he's back :shrug:
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

liola wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:12 pm Maybe it's my bad mood, but I thought Phil's video was lovely. It made me smile and laugh and gave me a peaceful break of 10 minutes where the world wasn't bleak. He's funny, he's engaging and he's obviously enjoying what he's doing right now, whether people think it's high concept or not. It's nothing new because Phil never stopped liking what he's doing.

I miss joint content too, but I really find it so unfair that this is the conversation we go back every single time. There's a petty part of me that thinks it's kind hypocritical to praise Dan for living his truth and taking time out and ignore his audience if that's what he wants but after every Phil video the major response is "I wish he did this different". Well it seems like this is the content he wants to make, If we were to feel the same then we have no right to complain.

To be clear, I also don't feel like he's living to the full potential, not because of the videos he's making, but rather because the camera angle and the not moving feels constricted. But either he has a different reason for it -Moving- or this is just the thing he's enjoying at the moment. Honestly, I'm just glad he's posting, I'm glad he seems to be back in his own game and that he seems to be happy with it, and sharing that happiness with us. I personally wouldn't ask more from him.

The other petty side of me is almost hoping Dan - if he still exists - decides to come back with a 10.02 long video that is just one close-up shot of his nostril and he only talks about exactly how many hairs have grown on his face but doesn't actually show us. I'm sure someone would call it groundbreaking just because he's back :shrug:
I agree with basically everything in this post. It's valid to want more, but Phil never gave any expectation that he didn't like what he was doing. I also definitely agree that the camera angle and constriction make it feel slightly uncomfortable and that might be where a lot of the discomfort people are feeling and trying to put a name to comes from.

I do also think that sometimes people are generalizing all of his 2019 content based on how they feel about the most recent video, though. People really liked a few of these videos when they came out, they got very good reception from the dedicated fanbase. The letter to his past self talked about things that Phil hasn't ever really talked about before, delving into past insecurities and even talking frankly about sex and a desire to impress/please. The google history video also got pretty good reception, because he was funny and it was Phil talking about recent events in his life (as they correlated back to google searches). While the Weakest Link one wasn't personally my fave ever, it's also something people had genuinely been asking for for ages. If I were Phil right now reading this, I'd probably just be coming to the conclusion that you literally can't please everyone and decide to keep making what feels good to him. (Which may not be the deepest content, and may for other reasons be thinks he wants quick and easy, etc. Sometimes high concept or deep/personal just isn't the actual goal.)
Ablissa
pastel persona

Hey everyone! As some of you may know, we're continuing our stream of :deppy: gaming videos tomorrow (Saturday, March 23rd) starting from 7 AM UTC :)
We're starting with Cuphead. We have about 26~ hours of videos to get through, so pop in whenever you like! We'll post the link to rabb.it later tonight.

Also... we need help!
I'm going to be away for some of the morning/afternoon, and @lesterchuu will be sleeping. The lovely @Ataraxia25 already agreed to help with the morning, so we need someone to 'man the stream' from 11 AM UTC to about 2 PM UTC.

This entails only stealing the remote on rabbit (which I'll teach you how to do), skipping the videos we need to skip, and kicking people if they're rude (hasn't happened all last weekend). The videos play by themselves from a playlist so you don't even need to search for them.

Can any of you please help us out? I'd much rather have someone from IDB helping us than ask people on twitter. :stan:
dancy
procrastinator

liola wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:12 pm I miss joint content too, but I really find it so unfair that this is the conversation we go back every single time. There's a petty part of me that thinks it's kind hypocritical to praise Dan for living his truth and taking time out and ignore his audience if that's what he wants but after every Phil video the major response is "I wish he did this different". Well it seems like this is the content he wants to make, If we were to feel the same then we have no right to complain.
I understand what you're saying but I think it's natural for people to be more critical of Phil's videos when it's the only content we're getting these days. I mean, I have liked all of his 2019 videos thus far and they're not much different from his usual stuff but with the lack of other content, I just find myself wanting a bit more oomph.
CapriciousCrab
sad dimple
Pronouns: She/her

dancy wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:01 pm
liola wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:12 pm I miss joint content too, but I really find it so unfair that this is the conversation we go back every single time. There's a petty part of me that thinks it's kind hypocritical to praise Dan for living his truth and taking time out and ignore his audience if that's what he wants but after every Phil video the major response is "I wish he did this different". Well it seems like this is the content he wants to make, If we were to feel the same then we have no right to complain.
I understand what you're saying but I think it's natural for people to be more critical of Phil's videos when it's the only content we're getting these days. I mean, I have liked all of his 2019 videos thus far and they're not much different from his usual stuff but with the lack of other content, I just find myself wanting a bit more oomph.
People are going to be hypercritical of Phil's videos until Dan comes back or there's joint content. It's not fair to Phil but that's how things seem to be shaking out.

And I get wanting more, I miss the gaming channel a lot. But the lack of joint content isn't Phil's fault. Until Dan's done doing... whatever he's doing, Phil is stuck trying to fill the void to increasing levels of criticism. How fun for him.
knq
lava lamp

CapriciousCrab wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:24 pm People are going to be hypercritical of Phil's videos until Dan comes back or there's joint content. It's not fair to Phil but that's how things seem to be shaking out.

And I get wanting more, I miss the gaming channel a lot. But the lack of joint content isn't Phil's fault. Until Dan's done doing... whatever he's doing, Phil is stuck trying to fill the void to increasing levels of criticism. How fun for him.
Has the reception of Phil’s videos been increasingly critical in the phandom broadly/Phil’s comments? I always figure the conversations we have here aren’t very representative of what the phandom is up to overall, though missing Dan as a theme seems like a safe bet.

The observation that Phils videos are receiving more critical discussion than they used to not because they’re less enjoyable to fans who have always enjoyed them, but because fans who simply aren’t here for solo/main channel content but are still here are discussing them is an important frame for understanding phandom discourse right now. It’s a very transitiony type time.