Dan & Phil Part 83: Where in the World is Daniel Howell

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
rachelthepiratequeen
smol bean

Okay, so here's the thing.

(Sorry to just spring myself upon you; I normally hate expressing my opinions but I don't know, I just wanted to this time)

Dan has always said he doesn't like the pressure of cranking out content, and in the mukbang in particular he was acting like, "I'm gonna come back, just bear with me while I figure some stuff out."

And I 1000% get where he's coming from. Because I've been doing kind of the same thing, with my immediate family. They've always been like, "When will you get a job? When will you get over your depression? When will you grow up already?" And I've always said the same thing, "I'll get there, just bear with me. Just give me time to figure it all out." And you can't give a deadline for that. Dan can't just go, okay, I'll be gone for exactly six months, (or however long) but then I'll come back. Because how could he know if he'd be ready by then? I think he probably thought he would be ready by now, but he isn't and he just has to keep trying and waiting until he is. (And I know if it were me, I'd be freaking out because I KNOW it's been too long, and I KNOW I should give some kind of indication for my return or lack thereof, but I'm just not sure of anything right now so I can say anything for sure, I can't even post a selfie or give a quick tweet to show I'm alive. That's not me calling him out, that's literally what I think he's probably thinking because it's what I would be thinking)

That final liveshow is both difficult and encouraging for me to watch, because it kills me to actually hear the words "we're taking a break from the gaming channel" and "that was the last Phil is not on fire" even if I guessed that long before PINOF 10 even came out. But yeah, like what was said in previous posts, there was so much promise for the future, and they seemed excited for whatever was coming next. I sometimes go back and watch it, just to be reassured that they know what they're doing and they're still going to be here for us.

And yet I can't help also remembering the times where they said something was going to happen and then it didn't. So while I don't mind having all the patience in the world, and being confident that there will eventually be an explosion of information, I...can't really be sure that the next time we see Dan won't be him announcing that he's leaving for good.
Interactive Introverts seems to me, looking back, to kinda be a last hurrah. Like, we're gonna do all this insane stuff, we're gonna see you one last time and give you the world, because we want to leave you with those memories to hold onto when we're gone. I mean Dan literally said "If this is the last thing we do before we die" every single time he mentioned that tour.

The only thing that confuses me about Phil's behavior is that sometimes he'll, y'know, rant about Dan's amazing birthday present, and then other times pretend like he's never talked to a stranger on the Internet before. I think he's keeping himself in that corner because they're essentially trying to not show that Dan exists, which is also why the Insta stories are so vague. I can't bring myself to believe they're moving when they've only been there for a year and a half, and because they also flatly denied it in December. But I don't think his videos are actually that different than what he's been doing, for the past couple of years, anyway. The only difference that Dan, or really any other person, isn't there after every three or four vids to change things up.

So am I hurt by what's been going on? I mean, yes, I haven't been in the phandom that long and it seriously depresses me to think I may have joined during the closing chapter and that there's no more to come. But I don't blame THEM for it, and I don't believe I can ask anything of them. I live for their tweets and Phil's videos, but I don't think they should do anything differently, and I hope Phil isn't discouraged by his dwindling views and Dan isn't stressed out by all the demands for his return. Because they really HAVE given us the world, and I know I'm not the only one here who can claim that they've done so much for me that I don't want them to do anything other than what they want.

In case this was too much to read and you just skipped to the end: In summary they're the reason I get up in the morning and I don't know how I'm expected to keep going if they're done. But they don't owe us a durn thing and never have, so they should be left alone to do whatever they desire, and only give us things whenever they so deem us worthy.
jve
tol bean
Pronouns: they/them

One of my absolute favourite professors in my philosophy class a couple of weeks ago said one thing that I think will resonate with me forever (and I think that it can be applied to the deppy situation here). It was along the lines of "Do you honestly think that your experiences can be universally applied? or even to another person? Do you not realize how arrogant that is? That's like saying that the other person, if they don't conform to how you think they should act then that means they are if not behaving in a way that is seen as "accepted" then they should be condemned or not based on your judgement of how you would act..." .
I'm paraphrasing here because honestly, my grasp on this language is not very strong and I can't find my notebook rn so forgive me for that. And I don't use this to apply to the argument of what can be considered good or bad. I am not going to use this for concepts related to racism, sexism or homophobia etc.
Yes we find find other people relatable only when we have shared experiences, I think we sometimes forget that no single person in this world is going to behave the way you predict they will behave. If they do that's all well and good, but if they don't then its similar to "oh man why would they behave that way???" instead of realizing that not everyone behaves the way we expect them to because every single human being is completely unique in how they may/may not react to a particular situation compared to another human being.
Dan,(what I think) is in a situation which no one in this forum has been in. He has had experiences that have shaped him in ways we cannot understand no matter how hard we try, and so to think that we can predict or even understand fully his behaviour is something I think is ignorant (I can't think of a word in english which is similar to how I would describe it in my native language so idk what would work here). To extrapolate from that, he is a public figure under almost 24/7 scrutiny which, unlike a traditional celebrity, won't be applicable here. So to see him through the lens of either a celebrity or a normal person is not applicable. He is maybe in the middle of that spectrum, and a celebrity lens, or normal person lens won't work here either. Add to that what I've mentioned before and it's a whole new deppy situation that can't be analysed the way onew would normally analyse, I guess. What I'm saying is that how he is reacting (or not reacting) is him doing what he thinks is best in the situation that he is in.
It's the same with Phil, unique being with unique behaviours.
Dan being on a hiatus is new for him and for me (us?) and so yes every time he posts, I'm instantly happy and then some days later I would wish I knew what dan would say or do here. But that's not gonna happen because there are factors that we are not aware of, that are affecting how phil is behaving, and when I apply past analysis of past behaviours to predict how he should/could behave now I am thrown in this weird clueless ditch of trying understand him in a way that I know is definitely is not true. Also, lbr curiosity is the b word and we can't escape it, but is obv also essential for the phandom but I think I should try to ignore that whenever I can to avoid being toxic in my judgement of phil (+deppy). The way he is acting is also the way he thinks he should because that, I think, is how best he thinks he should behave in this situation.
And they know more than we do, so them behaving the way they do is upto their judgement of how best they know they ought to act.
Does that make sense? It kind does in my head so idk really. Also. these are just my thoughts and not in any way a critique of what others have said here
I guess what I am trying to say here is that we could take into account these factors, and realize that every person and their point is valid. and so is how deppy are behaving even if it doesn't align with how we want them to behave?
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

(I interrupt this thoughtful conversation with a quick spon)

Dan and Phil Games Marathon...continues! https://www.rabb.it/s/6xo83e

Feel free to get comfy and enjoy some pre-show entertainment! Then, at 7am UTC, we will start the show 😍😎🎮
Of course, since it'll last for about a day, you can pop on by and hang out when your time suits you. We will start where we left off: Cuphead! Then we will continue until we reach the most recent DAPG upload.
"you are next to me in my life"
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

jve wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:54 am One of my absolute favourite professors in my philosophy class a couple of weeks ago said one thing that I think will resonate with me forever (and I think that it can be applied to the deppy situation here). It was along the lines of "Do you honestly think that your experiences can be universally applied? or even to another person? Do you not realize how arrogant that is? That's like saying that the other person, if they don't conform to how you think they should act then that means they are if not behaving in a way that is seen as "accepted" then they should be condemned or not based on your judgement of how you would act..." .
I'm paraphrasing here because honestly, my grasp on this language is not very strong and I can't find my notebook rn so forgive me for that. And I don't use this to apply to the argument of what can be considered good or bad. I am not going to use this for concepts related to racism, sexism or homophobia etc.
Yes we find find other people relatable only when we have shared experiences, I think we sometimes forget that no single person in this world is going to behave the way you predict they will behave. If they do that's all well and good, but if they don't then its similar to "oh man why would they behave that way???" instead of realizing that not everyone behaves the way we expect them to because every single human being is completely unique in how they may/may not react to a particular situation compared to another human being.
Dan,(what I think) is in a situation which no one in this forum has been in. He has had experiences that have shaped him in ways we cannot understand no matter how hard we try, and so to think that we can predict or even understand fully his behaviour is something I think is ignorant (I can't think of a word in english which is similar to how I would describe it in my native language so idk what would work here). To extrapolate from that, he is a public figure under almost 24/7 scrutiny which, unlike a traditional celebrity, won't be applicable here. So to see him through the lens of either a celebrity or a normal person is not applicable. He is maybe in the middle of that spectrum, and a celebrity lens, or normal person lens won't work here either. Add to that what I've mentioned before and it's a whole new deppy situation that can't be analysed the way onew would normally analyse, I guess. What I'm saying is that how he is reacting (or not reacting) is him doing what he thinks is best in the situation that he is in.
It's the same with Phil, unique being with unique behaviours.
Dan being on a hiatus is new for him and for me (us?) and so yes every time he posts, I'm instantly happy and then some days later I would wish I knew what dan would say or do here. But that's not gonna happen because there are factors that we are not aware of, that are affecting how phil is behaving, and when I apply past analysis of past behaviours to predict how he should/could behave now I am thrown in this weird clueless ditch of trying understand him in a way that I know is definitely is not true. Also, lbr curiosity is the b word and we can't escape it, but is obv also essential for the phandom but I think I should try to ignore that whenever I can to avoid being toxic in my judgement of phil (+deppy). The way he is acting is also the way he thinks he should because that, I think, is how best he thinks he should behave in this situation.
And they know more than we do, so them behaving the way they do is upto their judgement of how best they know they ought to act.
Does that make sense? It kind does in my head so idk really. Also. these are just my thoughts and not in any way a critique of what others have said here
I guess what I am trying to say here is that we could take into account these factors, and realize that every person and their point is valid. and so is how deppy are behaving even if it doesn't align with how we want them to behave?
A lot of posts in the last couple of days have been so thoughtful and well written and I really appreciate reading them, but I especially love this one. It actually made me think a lot about what a weird middle ground of celebrity and person Dan is and if you add to that he started having to deal with this when he was still eighteen (while Phil had a normal university experience through those 18-22 ages) there's even a disconnect in how this kind of fame impacts Dan and how it impacts Phil. Those are some very formative years to feel grounded in who you are and Dan's never had that without 'us' being a factor.
Ablissa
pastel persona

:babuse: SPON :babuse:
Our gaming marathon is still going strong! We just finished watching the videos from 2017. Join us as we venture into 2018, arguably one of the best years of Dan and Phil <3

https://www.rabb.it/s/6xo83e
anna_begins
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

I just rewatched Phil's newest video again & I found myself laughing & enjoying it more today than I did when I first viewed it. It's funny how much your mood can affect your feelings towards something, which is a good reminder for me to wait a bit before sharing my opinions. I really do just want Phil to make content that he enjoys & wants to share, and I'd hate for him to change things up because he thinks that's what he has to do to stay relevant. I think my original post on the subject was a bit harsh, and I think that comes from a place of wanting dnp to always be successful. For example I see that Tyler Oakley doesn't even have 30k views on his recent video & it's been out almost 24 hours & I never want that to happen to them. But the one thing I forgot was that both Dan & Phil have mentioned a few times now that views/subscriber count aren't that important to them anymore, it's more about creating things that feel true to them. And if that's okay with them, that's okay with me.
knq
lava lamp

Having watched Tyler's new video I have to admit there is a filming set up worse than Phil's super close angle and wall -- and it's constantly pursuing or being pursued by a moving camera. help

Tyler's videos seem quite Phil-ish to me. Dogs, plants, butts, and uncomfortable filming choices. :shrug: I wonder if they'd collab if they lived closer to each other? I don't remember their old collab being a favorite video of mine but I feel like they could really hit it off these days.

eta: That was meant to sound genuine, not sure if it came across! I like Tyler's content and would love to see Phil collab again someday, even if it's not with Dan.

Also I have graduated from 'janice from the shop' to 'woodland creature.' Is this a reference I do not know?
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

As much as I loved Phil's video, I do also feel sad and annoyed with them, though I try not to for long cos I don't have energy to waste on it, letting us wonder what's going on, if anything, beyond what we see now they've withdrawn so much. It circles back to the discussions weeks ago that they could say a bit more and then loads of us would still want yet more, but still while they told us some things were changing, but not the rest, a lot of the rest has changed and still we have no info let alone any reasons. I'd like some honesty rather than letting it be unsaid while we bumble along figuring it out and it's hard to find "you're as important to us as we are to you" so sweet now.

I get that Dan might not have intended to take a long break or had any idea how long or what he'd need, and is working things out at his own pace, I've been there many a time and I'm there again now, and if he doesn't want to say anything, that's fair enough too, but I hope neither of them would be surprised that we've been confused or hurt etc as Phil was that we hadn't all guessed Pinof 10 was the last one. I used to work in IT support and the golden rule was to inform the customer. Granted you always have some who are entitled dicks and the phandom's no different :roll:

Well, there are other people to watch, feeling less invested is a thing that happens and I'll be here if Dan does reappear, but I hope they do plan to tell us something, I just imagine they think this is all fine and we shouldn't be expecting any more from them so if it comes to it that this is it, well, I'll re-evaluate I guess.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

knq wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:14 pmAlso I have graduated from 'janice from the shop' to 'woodland creature.' Is this a reference I do not know?
I think it's a reference with more than one origin points (maybe radio? SAP) but the one that always stands out to me is when they wrote each other's bio descriptions for the SITC guide one year. This is what Phil wrote for Dan:

Dan Howell, whose name rhymes with hand towel, bland scowl, and sand owl, was created when a woodland creature had a baby with Liam Payne from one direction. When not procrastinating by eating the entire fridge or staying awake until 6am, he makes youtube videos on the channel danisnotonfire (which was his username back in the lolrandom bebo days.) Before becoming a Youtuber, teenager Dan worked in a DIY shop until one day he sold an axe to an eight year old. Dan’s Greatest Hits include “what not to do at the beach” (where he actually went outside), “sexy internet dating” (where he invited a naked 58 year old man called Manesh to our house), and “what is my life” (where he spent eight minutes pritt-sticking various meat products to his face). I know what you are thinking, “I want some Dan facts!” WELL HERE THEY ARE, JENNY! (I just totally freaked out anyone called Jenny) Dan is scared of trees. Dan eats cinnamon cereal every day (except the days I steal his cereal). I am sat next to Dan now and he said if he could have any dog it would be a Shiba Inu. If you haven’t checked out his videos yet then you are missing out - a LOT. Also you might want to check out his pretty cool friend Phil.

Get his autograph below! or find someone else called Dan and get him to forge it. Just convince yourself it was true.

Ok bye.

- Phil

And Dan's for Phil, just in case anyone wants it:

Phil Lester is the by-product of two related grandparents and a haircut that was cool in 2006, but that’s okay because he has a lovely personality. His quirky videos and idiosyncratic editing sets him apart from other YouTube vloggers - that and his unique life which seems to attract a worryingly large amount of strange people and situations (which he relives for your enjoyment). If you look at yourself in the mirror and think “wow i am so weird, how do i function?” - Phil’s the guy that teaches you to embrace your individuality.

If you see Phil this weekend, do not be alarmed if his hand is facing backwards towards his pocket in a claw shape, he can’t help it. And he was does not condone irresponsible use of a permanent marker on your face.

Remember, normalness leads to sadness.

- Dan
argo
crusty sponge

Here's where I'm at as a fan- in terms of activity from Dan I could be starting at a wall to occupy my time. Phil produces a mediocre video every couple of weeks and some generic stories/tweets. I don't have any theories as to what's going on, I don't have any expectations and I don't feel I'm owed anything. It is what it is and great if something changes.
knq
lava lamp

Those are freakishly sweet. Thanks for sharing @alittledizzy!

Phil's in Dan's twitter likes today:
That photocopy really did come out cool.
firsttimeposter
living flop

I’m quite honestly starting to worry that dan won’t be back before their “new annual tradition of an October mukbang”, alas in October.

I really am worrying about this; being a teenager makes the four years I’ve been watching them seem like a very large chunk of my life, and I miss regular-ish content. I’ve never felt this feeling of “oh we really have NO clue when dan’s coming back” (“we” including dan). I’ve been so dependant of them and am SO bored of finding new ways to constantly entertain myself now that dnp and ‘the phandom’ has been put to rest. there’s not even conspiracies anymore, as there’s no dnp content to draw them from. I’ve, for the first time in my life, started listening to one direction just from the lack of conspiracy I need in my life?? and it’s all dans fault, that bastard;)
fieldoflovers
living flop

alittledizzy wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:57 pm
knq wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:14 pmAlso I have graduated from 'janice from the shop' to 'woodland creature.' Is this a reference I do not know?
I think it's a reference with more than one origin points (maybe radio? SAP) but the one that always stands out to me is when they wrote each other's bio descriptions for the SITC guide one year. This is what Phil wrote for Dan:

Dan Howell, whose name rhymes with hand towel, bland scowl, and sand owl, was created when a woodland creature had a baby with Liam Payne from one direction. When not procrastinating by eating the entire fridge or staying awake until 6am, he makes youtube videos on the channel danisnotonfire (which was his username back in the lolrandom bebo days.) Before becoming a Youtuber, teenager Dan worked in a DIY shop until one day he sold an axe to an eight year old. Dan’s Greatest Hits include “what not to do at the beach” (where he actually went outside), “sexy internet dating” (where he invited a naked 58 year old man called Manesh to our house), and “what is my life” (where he spent eight minutes pritt-sticking various meat products to his face). I know what you are thinking, “I want some Dan facts!” WELL HERE THEY ARE, JENNY! (I just totally freaked out anyone called Jenny) Dan is scared of trees. Dan eats cinnamon cereal every day (except the days I steal his cereal). I am sat next to Dan now and he said if he could have any dog it would be a Shiba Inu. If you haven’t checked out his videos yet then you are missing out - a LOT. Also you might want to check out his pretty cool friend Phil.

Get his autograph below! or find someone else called Dan and get him to forge it. Just convince yourself it was true.

Ok bye.

- Phil

And Dan's for Phil, just in case anyone wants it:

Phil Lester is the by-product of two related grandparents and a haircut that was cool in 2006, but that’s okay because he has a lovely personality. His quirky videos and idiosyncratic editing sets him apart from other YouTube vloggers - that and his unique life which seems to attract a worryingly large amount of strange people and situations (which he relives for your enjoyment). If you look at yourself in the mirror and think “wow i am so weird, how do i function?” - Phil’s the guy that teaches you to embrace your individuality.

If you see Phil this weekend, do not be alarmed if his hand is facing backwards towards his pocket in a claw shape, he can’t help it. And he was does not condone irresponsible use of a permanent marker on your face.

Remember, normalness leads to sadness.

- Dan
I'm at that level of hiatus where I'm ready to bawl over these, I maybe just need to go read some radio show fic and listen to some old phan playlists <3
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

These little bios are way too cute, oh god i realised how much i miss them. TOGETHER.
:gayaf:
noodlebum
flower crown

'lovely personality' :happytears:
liola
rankussy

So Cornelia tweeted about being on a train up north.. do we think dnp/phil could be with her? I was thinking it might be mothers day related but that's not until next week right?
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
autumnhearth
senpai

Love those bios, here have a visual.

There was a radio show moment where they talk about babies being afraid of Phil, but loving Dan. I think the woodland creature description is used, but I can’t find the clip. I remember Phil asking if he looks like a letch(?) and Dan says “No, you look fine Phil”. Anyone able to confirm?

Hmm it is always possible that M&C have friends up north. They also have gone to IoM many times without Phil (just based on Instagram posts).
scientia
phabergé

I’m surprised Phil & fam haven’t taken another trip to Florida, what time of the year do they usually go?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

A like from Phil that makes me wonder if Dan stole his phone just to like it. (But really, yeah. Seems about right.)
autumnhearth
senpai

scientia wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:18 pm I’m surprised Phil & fam haven’t taken another trip to Florida, what time of the year do they usually go?
I think they go twice a year, in the fall and the around the time of Playlist Live (it was mid May in 2017, Phil didn’t go last spring)

An advanced Twitter search for Florida shows a range of dates in Oct-Nov and Feb-May.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

:cheer: We're back! :cheer:
lesterchuu
philussy

Now that the forum is back to life, we are happy to finally start our IDB #PhandomWatch week!

Since the hiatus has been squeezing us dry, we figured (with permission from the mods) that we can host this event on the main thread! Yay! 🎉🎉🎉
Updates: How does this work exactly?

Each day, we will release a single topic (correlating to the theme) followed by a couple of questions that you guys can discuss and dissect. You can still pick and choose which set of questions you would like to discuss, so don't feel pressured to complete all - unless you feel compelled to!

As opposed to our previous Sundays, we will now also be using other forms of media (videos, tweets, posts, etc.) or from sources other than their main channel videos (SAP, radio show, vyou, younow, 3rd party articles discussing DnP, etc.) to expand the discussion, so long as it stays relevant to the topic. You can use these as references to your post. Some of these media may or may not be from Dan or Phil themselves so things like tweets/posts made by fans (ie. theories, opinions, or rumours) should be taken with a grain of salt.

That said, if it helps you explain or express your thoughts, feel free to cite other medias along with your posts as well. Also, since we encourage discussions, it is inevitable that sometimes people can have different opinions so we just want to remind people to be respectful with their words. The mods will be watching :)
TLDR;

> we give topic. we give questions. we give media.
> you pick questions. you answer questions.
> do In-depth Bants with each other.
> rinse repeat :ribena:

Now that that's out of the way, let us start!
lesterchuu
philussy

Theme:Post-baking universe vs The Dark Era
░░░ Today's Topic: Fandom culture throughout the years...

> What was the “fandom culture” you have observed back when you first joined the Phandom and how does it compare to now? Can you share some positive and/or memorable moments you have experienced from being in this fandom?

> Have you personally witnessed moments where the fans have been intrusive? Are these acceptable behaviors?
> How much privacy and freedom do Dan and Phil have compared to other Youtubers you watch? Do you think they have started to open up more over the years?
knq
lava lamp

That’s awesome! I’m glad. I miss chatting.

—fandom culture
I’m immediately off topic because this is the first time I’ve gotten myself to fully listen to ‘The Hand.’ It strikes me that, just like Dan, Phil uses language often used to parody fan fiction: Phil is Dan’s “raven haired friend” and the two of them are “the British boys.” When I skimmed Dan’s story I noted the excessive use of adjectives and wondered if that was an intentional parody. The fact that Phil did it too makes me more certain that it was, and that they’re both familiar with fanfic and its tropes.

Which to be honest shouldn’t be a surprise, but somehow it always is. Dan’s always been able to shake me when he proves he’s savvy to fan culture. In an old liveshow I watched the chat was asking about his and Anthony’s height difference and some were surprised that Dan was taller. Dan asked if that ruined the chat’s top/bottom headcanon (though not in those words I’m sure.)

Trying to swing this tangent back around to my own experience of fandom culture, I was very happy to have found IDB, as the last fandom I was embedded in was back when livejournal was a major platform and tumblr/instagram/twitter weren’t platforms I was comfortable with. This is still my favorite place to chat! I’ve also learned to use instagram, Twitter, and sort of but not really tumblr just due to my interest in the phandom.

At least on tumblr, I notice this fandom, perhaps all modern fandoms, use anon mostly to be hurtful to other fans. I wish phandom had more anon spaces that were just fun, like the kink memes and prompt memes that used to live on LJ.

I feel I haven’t been in the phandom long enough to experience major changes up until this hiatus. I want to come back around to the other two questions later today and I’m excited to read everyone’s thoughts on these topics! :prideheart:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

lesterchuu wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:50 am > What was the “fandom culture” you have observed back when you first joined the Phandom and how does it compare to now? Can you share some positive and/or memorable moments you have experienced from being in this fandom?

I came into phandom in mid-late 2015, so I'm really hoping someone that's been around since before that chimes in on this!!
lesterchuu wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:50 am > Have you personally witnessed moments where the fans have been intrusive? Are these acceptable behaviors?
When I think of intrusive fans/fan encounters, the first thing that pops into my head is the 'his eyes said yes' moment.

I think directly asking Dan or Phil about their relationship is like a base level 'nope' moment where it is unacceptable, but on the same note - I'm surprised it didn't happen more often during meet and greets. I remember a few times when people threatened to say or do really intrusive things just for shock value but in the end I don't think any of those people (thankfully) ended up following through.
lesterchuu wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:50 am
> How much privacy and freedom do Dan and Phil have compared to other Youtubers you watch? Do you think they have started to open up more over the years?
I think the privacy and freedom issue is hard to compare to other youtubers. Obviously, all of this is from the stance of believing they're in a relationship - but people like Jenna and Julien, and Safiya and Tyler, etc... they have less privacy, for sure, because they voluntarily let people into their relationship more. They have less privacy because they want less privacy and I think being straight couples definitely has something to do. There is less to fear from being open when your relationship is the most normalized type of relationship out there.

So regarding privacy in terms of how much they ask for vs how much they get, Dan and Phil probably have less. But just from a broad overview, they have a lot more and even with intrusive fans it's an understood that privacy is something Dan and Phil want and guard fiercely. The fact that they are such private people fuels a lot of the discussion in this fandom and is why phandom has so much more a vocal interactive presence amongst itself as opposed to couples like Jenna and Julien.