Dan & Phil Part 83: Where in the World is Daniel Howell

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
autumnhearth
senpai
Pronouns: she/her

Pretty. I see the lava lamp moved to the desk, but couldn’t he be sat on the otherside of the loveseat so we can see if the orchid is there? So unaccommodating! Oh ffs!
Ataraxia25 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:12 pm Phil being a cutie
Ablissa
pastel persona

Quoting this so it doesn't get buried on the previous page.
(Can Phil start a subscription for his selfies? How much to get one per day???)
Ablissa wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:21 pm Thank you to everyone that answered yesterday's questions! I really love reading your posts, and also how respectful the conversation has been :ribena:
Now it's time for the next part of IDB Watch Fest!

Theme: Post-baking universe vs The Dark Era
░░░ Today's Topic: Opinions about their relationship with each other

> Are they simply best friends or are they something more? Is it something that needs to be “labeled”?

> Demons vs Phanti: Amidst all the drama, do people’s opinions influence how Dan and Phil interact with the phandom? With themselves?

> What convinced you that they are or are not together?
(Sorry, I can't find a video of just this one clip)

WARNING NSFW - Dan's 'grandma' tumblr response

Previous Topics:
........Fandom culture throughout the years...
........People’s perception of Daniel Howell and Phil Lester
........Sexuality
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

> Are they simply best friends or are they something more? Is it something that needs to be “labeled”?

To me, they are in a committed romantic relationship. Since 2009.

> What convinced you that they are or are not together?
That's one of my regrets with this phandom: I got into it without meaning to, without knowing I was actually getting into it so I never dwelt too much on my thoughts at the time and now I don't remember!

I do remember my best friend sending me a tumblr post about the v-day vidéo because she had quickly talked to me about it, because she was the one who got me into dnp. And I remember reading this tumblr post explaining why the v-day video was so "important" but because I wasn't a fan of them back then, it just felt like reading about strangers.

But i know the v-day video was not what convinced me but unfortunately, I can't remember what did :shrug:

All this waffling to say that i don't remember and I'm sad about it.
:gayaf:
autumnhearth
senpai

Mmm is it something that needs to be labeled? By the world? No. By them? Only they know. By us? ... Boyfriends seems reductive, husbands is just for cute humor, partners is absolutely true in multiple ways, Dan doesn’t believe in soulmates, but they prefer to define themselves as best friends and they are. For me, “Dan and Phil” is enough.

I don’t feel articulate enough to fully answer *how* the phandom’s vocal opinion about their relationship has influenced how they interact with us and each other, except to say it definitely has and for the latter I’d say that’s only on screen and in public, except that they probably isolated themselves from YT community more because of it. I’d love to hear others thoughts about it!

What convinced me? I started reading phan fic out of frustration of not knowing. This was in February of 2017. I read a Valentines fic that mentioned the video and started digging.
knq
lava lamp

I can’t tell from Phil’s twitter if he has a cold or if that’s just the topic of discussion. “Something bee related” genuinely made me laugh. Those boys get sick way too often.

@susan2 I guess Q&A ‘style’ doesn’t require something to have questions or answers. I hadn’t even considered that.

I’m feeling particularly sad about missing Dan-and-Phil today and I don’t know why as there’s not been a change.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

Ablissa wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:27 pm > Are they simply best friends or are they something more? Is it something that needs to be “labeled”?
They definitely in a best friend relationship that is deeper and more intimate than most people will ever have with a best friend. I have trouble imagining they're not in a committed romantic relationship with one another, but it does not need to be labeled. I do enjoy calling them husbands tongue-in-cheek ;)
Ablissa wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:27 pm Demons vs Phanti: Amidst all the drama, do people’s opinions influence how Dan and Phil interact with the phandom? With themselves?
I think definitely it influences how they interact with the phandom, is part of why they're more private than other vloggers, don't collab as much, don't really let folks into their personal lives/home as much as other people who make their living online as a personality (I think they'd be more like Jenna/Julien if it weren't for homophobia and such strong shipping).

With one another? I will never really know. I'm sure they talked a lot about it when they were coming up and making career choices, when they moved into being a double act on Radio1 and TATINOF and just made all their branding pretty much merged.

I'm still fairly convinced, in my own way having seen how the media industry works, that a lot of the 2012 denials were based around management advice that they got to keep their brand separate and Dan in particular attainable (aka straight and single) to teen girls.
Ablissa wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:27 pm What convinced you that they are or are not together?
Umm, I saw the first PINOF when it came out as I followed Amazingphil, and I just assumed they were dating (same as Troye and Tyler to be honest). I wasn't in the phandom enough to follow live shows, etc, in 2012, to hear active denials so it probably wasn't until 2013 or so I even had any doubts they weren't together. What convinced me that they were *definitely* together? Probably the year 2016 onwards. I just haven't seen any actions from the two of them that do anything but add to my arsenal of evidence they are in a long-term committed relationship.

...But also book 6 of Harry Potter convinced me that Harry/Draco was sub-text canon so I clearly have strong shipping goggles.

And yes, I have seen the Voldey Video. And that wasn't what convinced me, but it certainly didn't... un-convince me.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

Sorry to be that person, but...

Is anyone else still lurking here who also just doesn't care so much anymore? It's great to see that many of you are still interested in what's happening, but I'm just not.
I do watch Phil's videos, but often forget about it for half a day before I check out a new upload and then I feel so "meh" about them that I don't even wanna make a post. I even care way less about keeping up with my favourite fan fictions.

It's sad because I always enjoyed discussing things here, but I don't wanna join the same old conversations for the sake of talking about something. It's also sad because this wasn't really my decision, but simply the absence of Dan & joint content for such a long time. Sorry Phillies, but AP solo was always my least favourite DnP content.

I guess I'll still lurk because it's such a habit and part of my daily routine. I just wanted to hear if there's more people who do and who couldn't be bothered to join the discussions anymore.

Disclaimer: That I'm not so much into the discussions has nothing to do with you lovely people and I can appreciate that many of you put in extra work to keep this corner of the fandom alive.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

A twitter like from Dan:
Thanks, Dan. Needed some art in my day.
citizen_erased
truth bomb

LtrllySusan wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:59 pm Sorry to be that person, but...

Is anyone else still lurking here who also just doesn't care so much anymore? It's great to see that many of you are still interested in what's happening, but I'm just not.
I do watch Phil's videos, but often forget about it for half a day before I check out a new upload and then I feel so "meh" about them that I don't even wanna make a post. I even care way less about keeping up with my favourite fan fictions.

It's sad because I always enjoyed discussing things here, but I don't wanna join the same old conversations for the sake of talking about something. It's also sad because this wasn't really my decision, but simply the absence of Dan & joint content for such a long time. Sorry Phillies, but AP solo was always my least favourite DnP content.

I guess I'll still lurk because it's such a habit and part of my daily routine. I just wanted to hear if there's more people who do and who couldn't be bothered to join the discussions anymore.

Disclaimer: That I'm not so much into the discussions has nothing to do with you lovely people and I can appreciate that many of you put in extra work to keep this corner of the fandom alive.
*raises hand*

Honestly, I do miss them, but I also feel like I've reached a point where, at least for the time being, I'm moving on, y'know? :shrug: I was definitely here for the two of them, their combined bants, and I've never been a big fan of solo Phil. solo Dan was one of the first ever youtube channels I subscribed to, and now it's just...eh. I'd like it if Dan returned at some point, but I'm definitely losing interest in both of them.

I still lurk around here a lot, but I never really have anything to add to any conversation anymore.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

wow. I hate it. and not even in that jokey way where we say we hate things but we actually love them.

:?

why is phil making Facebook clickbait? ew.
noodlebum
flower crown

Bit random, doesn't look like normal Phil editing... And on Facebook? I am confusion. :shrug:
knq
lava lamp

Finding a use for stock footage he already bought is very Phil. You've gotta get your money's worth! The seal was cute and the white guy was not.

Interesting to see Phil trying new things! Does the voucher mean he has a business relationship with Firebox now?
Ablissa
pastel persona

I'm... So confused?? Is he trying to go viral on Facebook to get more viewers or what? And the random prize for sharing?? This sounds like your typical YouTuber and not Phil. Weird.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Uhhh. Facebook clickbait videos??

Wow. Thanks. I hate it.

Next thing we know Phil quits YouTube to be a TikTok dad. :tinfoil:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Ablissa wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:27 pm I'm... So confused?? Is he trying to go viral on Facebook to get more viewers or what? And the random prize for sharing?? This sounds like your typical YouTuber and not Phil. Weird.
Yeah that's how i feel about that too. It's just weird, like... what. Why. Surely he could've come up with something else if he wanted to do a firebox spon? Idk, the situation is already difficult to sustain around here and those random things aren't helping.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
coffeepenguin
rainbow nerd

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:38 pm A twitter like from Dan:
Thanks, Dan. Needed some art in my day.
I looked at Dan's latest likes and now he's definitely following Brexit. I hope it doesn't worsen whatever state he's in right now, or at least not too much. And to anyone from the UK, I am really sorry about your current situation and I hope this mess will be solved sooner rather than later :bighug:

LtrllySusan, personally, I like Phil's solo content well enough, but I've also noticed that apart from still checking idb daily, I started treating his videos more like something from Tyler Oakley or Jenna Marbles, the two only youtubers that I watch - as something nice and pleasant, not always very interesting, so it depends on the topic if I'll watch (I haven't skipped a video by Phil yet, but I regularly skip Tyler's and Jenna's) when I want to watch a short video without having to strain my brain. And with Tyler and Jenna I definitely won't feel the need to rewatch or discuss their videos.

Also, I obviously don't want to try and police discussion on here in any way, but I was rather surprised by the choice of topics offered for the last two days. I think that Dan's and Phil's sexualities and their relationship have been discussed ad nauseum, in the main thread as well as in specific threads :?

ETA: this, for example, looks like a video that I won't be watching :lol:
Dan wants to be understood. Phil just wants to make the viewer smile and sell some backpacks (c) fancybum
knq
lava lamp

Please enjoy this totally, 100% serious piece of award-winning investigative journalism from me

sorry I couldn't help myself the hiatus broke me
that's a lie I was always like this
anna_begins
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

knq wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:01 pm Please enjoy this totally, 100% serious piece of award-winning investigative journalism from me

I have to admit that's what I thought of too! :lol: Oh Phil.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

knq wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:01 pm Please enjoy this totally, 100% serious piece of award-winning investigative journalism from me

You are both an artist and an investigative journalist, I'm in awe at your duality! :stan:
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

:rofl:

The demon part of my brain almost expected to see Dan yawning after all that stuff about love, so your investigative journalism is valid and I'm giving you all the awards.

i feel like if it wasn't the so far cursed year of 2019 we would definitely have seen dan in that video anyway.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Oh, that’s funny, good investigations ;) also both Dan and the seal are hecking cute in that screenshot. Phil was such a sparky munch in that video. I haven’t watched the yawn one yet, but cheeky spon indeed :roll:
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

Phil liked this tweet and it really makes ya think about parallels huh. Maybe Dan and Anthony share more than similar looks....

Anyway, I think the facebook thing is odd, and I don't like it that much, but it's not really bothering me so it's kind of whatever. I'm just curious about the potential idea that there's more than just traffic on his page involved in this and maybe something behind the scenes that we don't know. Ah well. We'll see I guess.
Ablissa
pastel persona

Thank you for your responses so far! We have one more day of this IDB Watch Fest, but you still have time to participate in today's conversation if you want to <3
coffeepenguin wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:54 pm Also, I obviously don't want to try and police discussion on here in any way, but I was rather surprised by the choice of topics offered for the last two days. I think that Dan's and Phil's sexualities and their relationship have been discussed ad nauseum, in the main thread as well as in specific threads :?
Thanks for the input!! We'll take it into consideration for our next watch fests. We chose these topics because the theme is 2012 vs post baking universe, and you can't really discuss the differences without talking about their sexualities and their relationship.
kavat wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:54 pm I didn't feel like I knew enough to form my own opinion on weather it was real or not, so for quite a while I was pretty convinced that they were just friends. I shipped them, but I thought of them like Joe and Caspar, best friends who lived together and were pretty heavily featured in each others content.
I was really into watching Joe and Caspar for a while, and often drew parallels to Dan and Phil, but the more I tried, the more I found that I couldn't. It's actually interesting if you watch J&C and see how they act on camera. There's loads of touching and things like that (obviously also a completely different type of humor). Their chemistry is entirely different though.
autumnhearth wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:21 pm I don’t feel articulate enough to fully answer *how* the phandom’s vocal opinion about their relationship has influenced how they interact with us and each other, except to say it definitely has and for the latter I’d say that’s only on screen and in public, except that they probably isolated themselves from YT community more because of it. I’d love to hear others thoughts about it!
This is interesting! I always wondered how much the pressure they were/still are under influenced their real life relationship.
This is just pure speculation, but I'd imagine that some of the harder times may have taken a toll on them as people, not just as creators. However, it's impossible to deny that they are only stronger for it now. But sometimes I feel 'bad' for the younger, 2012 versions of Dan and Phil; taking a gamble with the radio, with the move, with their career. Just trying to figure it out in a new city with only each other to turn to - that can't have been easy. The way the fanbase behaved back then likely hadn't helped.
plinthofmylife wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:34 pm I'm still fairly convinced, in my own way having seen how the media industry works, that a lot of the 2012 denials were based around management advice that they got to keep their brand separate and Dan in particular attainable (aka straight and single) to teen girls.
This makes so much sense to me, wow. Dan especially tried to be a 'hot single lad' in those days. Did they already have management back then? I have no idea.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Ablissa wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:27 am
plinthofmylife wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:34 pm I'm still fairly convinced, in my own way having seen how the media industry works, that a lot of the 2012 denials were based around management advice that they got to keep their brand separate and Dan in particular attainable (aka straight and single) to teen girls.
This makes so much sense to me, wow. Dan especially tried to be a 'hot single lad' in those days. Did they already have management back then? I have no idea.
I'm not sure that they had management in 2012 (I seem to recall them not signing until 2013? can't remember sources though, so please correct me if I'm wrong) but they did undoubtedly have people advising them in some capacity and they did have a radio show on the line. So yeah, I can absolutely see someone advising them in that direction. There's a big difference in BBC taking a risk on two cute popular single guy roommates with an audience and chemistry, and in - a queer couple.
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

crawling out of my cave just to say 10/10 stars to this, hvent watched it but wow this cleared my skin fast :ribena:
"you are next to me in my life"